Carabao Cup – Another visit to Anfield, different outcome?

A few days after our defeat to LFC in the EPL, we are back at Anfield to play the Carabao Cup.

What we know for sure is that Klopp will field promising young players (Jones, Brewster…) and his usual subs but his subs include Jota, Xhaqiri, Origi, Milner, Oxlade (is he fit to play?), Minamino…so it is not like they are going to throw the game away…

On our side, Arteta will also give some playing time to our subs and younger players so I can imagine Arteta fielding:

Runnarson – Soares, Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney – Ceba, Xhaka, Saka – Pepe, Nketiah, Nelson

In any case, I do not expect something out of this game except entertainment. Would be good to win but if we lose, I wouldn’t be too distraught.

80 Responses to Carabao Cup – Another visit to Anfield, different outcome?

Nice one, RC.

Pool have some brilliant youngsters coming thru, and tho’ I want us to win, I will not be surprised if we get turned over tonight.

Bonjour, Monsieur Le Coq. 😁

C’est un plaisir de vous voir ce matin.

Umm I am not sure you parlez francais, and I am very rusty myself, the para above means: ‘it is a pleasure to see you this morning’.

Your skill at cracking anagrams is a credit to you, and I agree with Sue, both are very apt.

I have missed your company over recent times, so hope you will favour the blog with your presence and humour, and I am sure you will be nice as there are two ladies who blog on here, and might faint otherwise. 😁

3. fred1266 says:

Probably elneny and willock in midfield

4. Seedee says:

I think if it’s Arsenal youngsters vs Liverpool youngsters I’d be more confident in a win than the respective senior sides battling it out.

I therefore predict a 3-2 win for the good guys!

5. Le Coq Monster says:

Thaks RC.

I agree with Seedee above, well apart from the score!………….still think we will lose though………………… if it is Bindippers full team then I would have more chance of parking my car with solid gold hub caps outside Anfield with loose wheel nuts then returning after 2 hours with wheels still intact than us winning!

Hiya Redders!……………….I do not speak french, but do have a City and Guilds diploma in French Accents!………………..Our old mate Transplant used to pay me to impersonate Arsene Wenger whilst he made love to himself………………..”Look!…..I err!”

6. Le Coq Monster says:

Nearest to my sense of humour I`ve seen………….If this doesn`t make you cry, then there`s someting wrong with you………….contains adult humour so be warned………….if you`re having a bad day this will cheer you up, trust me!
    😆

7. VCC says:

Cracked me up Cockey….missed your humour Buddy.

8. Sue says:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Love Joe Wilkinson, Le Coq… have you seen him in After Life on Netflix? 👌
    Captain Birdseye!! I wonder what I’ll think of every time I see a fish finger now – the same thing every time I see a parrot 😂

Nice one, RC.. I’m anxious about tonight.. visions of last season keep coming back to me! I want to win at all costs…and if we don’t I will be devastated and have the hump for at least a fortnight… and will have to watch Le Coq’s clip again to make me cry a different type of tear!! COYG

9. Le Coq Monster says:

Yep, seen it, Sue 😆

How`s Mrs Fernsby on HH?…………..you know. !….. the oppressive wrinkly old geography dictator with no sense of humour!
    😆

Arsenal Women playing tonight aswell!……………live on BBC2

“I do not expect something out of this game except entertainment”

What a nice line.

11. Sue says:

Arsenal XI vs. Liverpool: Leno; Cedric, Holding, Gabriel, Kolasinac; Ceballos, Willock, Xhaka; Pepe, Nketiah, Saka.

Arsenal subs: Runarsson, David Luiz, Tierney, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Lacazette. #afc

12. LBG says:

Interesting selection! 352? 3412? Or is it four at the back?
    Expect some luck and a close win!

No Auba??

Arsenal Women v Man City in the FA Cup Semi Final — you are spoiled for choice, Sue. 😁

14. Sue says:

Sorted, RA 👌

15. LBG says:

Much debate elsewhere regarding Saliba. I am happy that Mikel is being cautious with such a young talent. I would use him initially in Europa League early matches, particularly as we are currently playing three at the back.

16. LBG says:

What about this being the game that Pepe shines!!

We can only hope………….

Gabriel is looking very assured at CB.

I think we are playing the dreaded ‘out from the back’ very well tonight. Pity we did not play it as well last Monday.

Pepe just finding his feet tonight — I think he has been playing in Sue’s high heels.hope it continues. 😜

20. LBG says:

Ignoring the greater ability/success with carrying out the Mikel pass from the back to break the press tactic, what most impresses IMO, is the confidence in close quarters to pass out of trouble. This was not even happening at the end of the Wenger era!! Even the throw-ins, given the odd Bellerin cock up on Monday (something he has always faulted on!) are not producing an automatic turnover.
    Impressed with Eddie’s workload and, as we have commented before, Saka is the key, in my mind to open up the Pool with a piece of magic.

21. Sue says:

RA.. 😆😝

There must have been something in the half time drinks, we are finding it difficult to keep our shape, and the passing has not been great in the first 12 mins of the second half.

Leno is keeping us in the game at the moment. I agree the playing out from the back is looking much more slick.

The only defence splitting passes from Ceb have been in our own area.

Leno has pulled off some great instinctive saves.

25. RC78 says:

Willock, Soares, Kolasinac are like ghosts today 😦

26. RC78 says:

Laca coming to the rescue?

27. RC78 says:

I think we would benefit from Nelson as well

28. RC78 says:

If Henry could lend his right foot to Pepe for the next 5 years, I am sure we will all be very happy

Arsenal are looking knackered – let’s hope they can hold on for the penalties. Sheesh.

30. RC78 says:

I d rather win in regular time…PKs are too much

31. LBG says:

More reasons to be cheerful for me. Loved Eddie’s workrate/commitment . Kola must have had his best two games, now he is leaving, in an Arsenal shirt.
    My MOM is Gabby, and not least for his forward/dynamic passing out from the back. Solid performances for me from Rob, Soares and Willock, even X, showing more discipline.
    Come on Bernd, win it for us!!

Milner pushed the ball away with his hand — penalty

But those unbiased commentators are sure it was a natural movement — my ass.

33. fatgingergooner says:

Should of won already. How we messed up so many great positions is beyond me! I know Leno made more saves but we should’ve had 2 or 3 tap ins if we’d worked it properly.

Good performance though. Gabriel looking a real gem at 22.

34. Sue says:

Behind the sofa time….

35. RC78 says:

Who to take the PKs?
    Laca, Pepe, Xhaka, Soares, AMN, Kola?

36. RC78 says:

Wijnadum can miss his PK…

37. RC78 says:

Damn it…Come on Soares…

38. RC78 says:

Why is El Neny taking a penalty?

39. RC78 says:

The chances of him missing are higher…and there you go

40. RC78 says:

41. RC78 says:

AMN not looking to keen…

42. RC78 says:

Cool as a cucumber 🙂

43. RC78 says:

Pepe now…oh boy…

44. RC78 says:

Come on Willock…

45. RC78 says:

Arsenal wins on PKs!

Leno – MoTM
    Gabriel, Saka – great performance

The rest…no comment

46. fatgingergooner says:

Easy

47. Sue says:

YESSSSSSSS!!!!! Phew!!! Get in there!!
    Bye bye Jurgen!! So that’s how it feels to win at Anfield 😂
    BOOM!!!!!
    Leno was bloody brilliant!! I don’t want to hear how we sold the wrong GK anymore 😝

48. fatgingergooner says:

Pretty sure AMN was singing as he went up for his pen. That lad is horizontal

49. VP says:

never in doubt
    thats 3 wins in the last 4 games against Lpool
    COYG!

50. LBG says:

Anyone ever seen Merson happy at an Arsenal win?!!!

51. oz gunner says:

AMN cool AF.

Leno is legit. Will hopefully shut up those doubting him and throwing him under the bus because of Martinez going. People have the memory of a goldfish.

Suck a fart Liverpool.

52. Sue says:

Revenge is oh so sweet 😝

53. fatgingergooner says:

5 games, 4 goals conceded, 3 clean sheets. Excellent start to the season considering 4 of those games have been away, two at Anfield and one at Leicester.

What a difference a year makes. We couldn’t stop conceding goals and losing away games under Emery.

Let’s hope we continue to develop under Arteta because I’m absolutely loving the confidence, discipline, and effort we play with these days. His football ideas look modern, especially the fluid formation where we seem to switch from a back 3 to a back 4 during different phases of play. Wouldn’t it be great if we could end this weeks with a couple of new faces to push us on another level.

54. fatgingergooner says:

Man City at home! Love it

I have to confess that I was disappointed that Martinez was sold — if it was only for the money.

Anyway, that is history and Leno was deserving of the MoTM tonight, and I am now his biggest fan — well after you lot, who never doubted him, of course. 🤪

I was also impressed with Leno’s self-confidence when asked about the Martinez situation — that is what the best players are all about.

Bloody hell — what a tie — Man City!! Bring it on. 😁

56. oz gunner says:

I agree formerfatformerslimnowfatagaingingergooner.

A couple of fresh faces would boost morale even more.

I get the % of playing out of the back etc. but jesus does it make me nervous. Better now that we have better users but my heart is in my mouth when i see 2 CB’s and a keeper pass it around with Salah hunting them…

Merson grew up a Chelsea supporter.

58. Sue says:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles turns into prime Pele when he gets to the penalty spot. Cold as ice 👌😍

59. Sue says:

Arteta on AMN penalty: “I told him in the dressing room, ‘I’m going to have a heart attack’, because with his body language it was like ‘Jesus Christ!’… and then he puts it in the net.” 🤣🤣🤣

Europa league draw today!

Quote LBG:

“ Ignoring the greater ability/success with carrying out the Mikel pass from the back to break the press tactic, what most impresses IMO, is the confidence in close quarters to pass out of trouble. This was not even happening at the end of the Wenger era!! Even the throw-ins”

Could this be related to empty stadiums? Strikes me that it is much easier for players to stick to the managers game plan without pressure from the fans (home or away).

I imagine the intensity of Anfield could have affected our players to panic more when being pressed etc.

AMN Penalty, there’s that “couldn’t give a f***” attitude. It’s not that he doesn’t it’s that his body language says he doesn’t it’s a confidence/attitude thing.

Since that penalty in the community shield I have watched him in a new light.

Well that was fun to watch.

We rode our luck at times but you never sensed that we lacked organisation at any point during the game, or that the players were ever in doubt as to their roles.

Those two factors are a striking difference to the way we appeared later in Emery’s period in charge.

Let’s not get carried away, but Mikel Arteta is brilliant and we’re going to become a top club under him if he gets the right backing.

I will happily get on that bandwagon and get carried away.

64. LBG says:

GiE
    Definitely playing it’s part, and since I am on a “season ticket holiday” for this year, if it carries on working, happy for no crowds for whole of season!!

I will bring the beer, LB, and we can be carried away into a red sunset!

AMN is coolness personified when it comes to taking penalties.

66. LBG says:

Saliba back to Rennes for another year given injury and Covid break. Rennes in Champions League. When he returns will be rare squad member with that experience, PERHAPS!

67. LBG says:

Europa League
    Arsenal
    Rapid Vienna
    Molde
    Dundalk

Molde have a growing reputation.

69. LBG says:

No VAR in group phase. Returns for knockout phase.

70. LBG says:

Very good, Rocky. Play in green/blue!

Norway, Austria and Ireland are not bad trips in terms of distance and disruption.

The Spuds have a Bulgaria trip, plus Belgium and Austria.

Leicester have Ukraine, Greece and Portugal, which means a few extra air miles for them.

72. Sue says:

Lucas Torreira said his goodbyes at London Colney today. He is due to travel to Madrid in the next 24 hours to complete his medical and finalise his loan. [Charles Watts]

73. fred1266 says:

OZ people don’t have the memory of a gold fish when it compared to Leno, I think most wanted him cause he is one of our own, and did nothing wrong so deserve to keep his spot

74. Sue says:

RC.. Cavani to United 🥺

75. LBG says:

Lyon prepared to loan Aouar!

76. LBG says:

Personally will be more than happy with end of transfer window on Monday night.
    Looks like no Parteying or celebrating the creativity of the man with too many vows.
    Equally Mikel, stay away from Jorginho please. (Slows the game down too much!). Use the yoof! Continue to squeeze as much as possible from the tube that is the current squad. We dont expect to win the Premier League at this point in your reign. We do expect continued effort, commitment to your (and our) cause, and the occasional new starlet (Balogen) shining bright in the damp and dark winter ahead. London is forever red! COYG. Next four games will tell the Country much!

77. LBG says:

I vow to thee, my Arsenal!

Leno
    Bellerin – Gabriel – Luiz – Tierney – Saka
    Ceballos – Elneny
    Willian – Nketieh – Aubameyang

The post has been changed.