1930 – The First World Cup

The inaugural FIFA World Cup was staged in Uruguay in 1930 and was played from July 13th to July 30th 1930.

1930_World_Cup Final Ball

Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, Spain and Uruguay all lodged applications to host the event. Uruguay was the eventual choice as they were the reigning Olympic Champions (1928), the country was celebrating the centenary of its first constitution and their bid included the building of a new stadium as the World Cup centerpiece. The Uruguayan authorities also offered to refund the expenses of all participants. The other nations withdrew their bids, and Uruguay was chosen to host the tournament at a FIFA congress at Barcelona in 1929. All matches were then played in the Uruguayan capital, Montevideo, the majority at the centerpiece stadium – Estadio Centenario.

1930 World Cup Stadium

The first World Cup was the only one without qualification. Every country affiliated with FIFA was invited to compete, and given a deadline of 28 February 1930 to accept. Plenty of interest was shown by nations in the Americas; Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru and the United States all entered. A total of seven South American teams participated, more than in any subsequent World Cup Finals. However, because of the long and costly trip across the Atlantic Ocean, and the length of absence required for players, very few European teams were inclined to take part. Some refused to countenance travel to South America in any circumstances, and no European entries were received before the February deadline. In an attempt to gain some European participation, the Uruguayan Football Association sent a letter of invitation to the Football Association, even though the Home Nations were not members of FIFA at the time. This was rejected by the FA Committee on 18 November 1929. Two months before the start of the tournament, no team from Europe had officially entered.

FIFA president Jules Rimet intervened, and eventually four European teams made the trip by sea: Belgium, France, Romania, and Yugoslavia. The Romanians, managed by Constantin Rădulescu and coached by their captain Rudolf Wetzer and Octav Luchide, entered the competition following the intervention of newly crowned King Carol II. He selected the squad personally, and negotiated with employers to ensure that the players would still have jobs upon their return. The French entered at the personal intervention of Rimet, but neither France’s star defender Manuel Anatol nor the team’s regular coach Gaston Barreau could be persuaded to make the trip. The Belgians participated at the instigation of FIFA vice-president Rodolphe Seeldrayers.

The Romanians boarded the SS Conte Verde at Genoa for the 15 day voyage, the French were picked up at Villefranche-sur-Mer on 21 June 1930 and the Belgians embarked at Barcelona. The Conte Verde carried Rimet, the trophy and the three designated European referees: the Belgians Jean Langenus and Henri Christophe, along with Thomas Balway, a Parisian who may have been English. The Brazilian team were picked up when the boat docked in Rio de Janeiro on 29 June before arriving in Uruguay on 4 July. Yugoslavia travelled via the mail steamship Florida from Marseille.

1930-FIFA-World-Cup-Captains shake hands

All matches took place in Montevideo. Three stadiums were used: Estadio Centenario, Estadio Pocitos, and Estadio Parque Central. The Estadio Centenario was built both for the tournament and as a celebration of the centenary of Uruguayan independence. Designed by Juan Scasso, it was the primary stadium for the tournament, referred to by Rimet as a “temple of football”. With a capacity of 90,000, it was the largest football stadium outside the British Isles. The stadium hosted 10 of the 18 matches, including both semi-finals and the final. However, a rushed construction schedule and delays caused by the rainy season meant the Centenario was not ready for use until five days into the tournament. Early matches were played at smaller stadiums usually used by Montevideo football clubs Nacional and Peñarol, the 20,000 capacity Parque Central and the Pocitos.

A golden trophy known as “The Goddess of Victory” was commissioned from French sculptor Abel Lafleur.

1930 worldcup trophy

Eventually thirteen teams (seven from South America, four from Europe, and two from North America) entered the tournament. Few European teams chose to participate because of the difficulty of travelling to South America. The teams were divided into four groups, with the winner of each group progressing to the semi-finals. The first two World Cup matches took place simultaneously, and were won by France and the United States, who defeated Mexico 4–1 and Belgium 3–0, respectively. Lucien Laurent of France scored the first goal in World Cup history, while American goalkeeper Jimmy Douglas posted the first official “clean sheet” in the tournament.

Action in 1930 World Cup Final

Argentina, Uruguay, United States and Yugoslavia each won their respective groups to qualify for the semi-finals. In the final, hosts and pre-tournament favourites Uruguay defeated Argentina 4–2 in front of a crowd of 93,000 people, and became the first nation to win the World Cup.

world-champion-1930-uruguay-with-the-famous-t-model-ball-1366282901

The 1930 FIFA World Cup is located in Uruguay

GunnerN5

109 Responses to 1930 – The First World Cup

1. arnie says:

Great stuff GN5. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Am I reading this right? Uruguay “bribed” the other members with offers of passage fare and hosted the 1930 World Cup. England and Italy were invited but declined to participate.

Too far away? Too cold? Heathen culture?

Where was Costa Rica? Hmm, no football culture then! 🙂 🙂 🙂

2. arnie says:

1930 FIFA World Cup official poster

3. arnie says:

Now that England is out of the World Cup, we can start enjoying the football properly. 😛 Most of the Gooners are still there, Germany, France and yes, Costa Rica, are playing exciting football.

Will England show some pride against Costa Rica? I suspect Costa Rica will field some of their second team players 😛 and England will field the true stars who were kept hidden from public glare so far. Yes, I am thinking of Jack and The Ox. 😛 So, it should be a good game.

4. Nurul Huda says:

Reblogged this on Broken Phrases and commented:
    A quick history on the World Cup.

I honestly think not participating in the WC until 1950 has probably been the home of footballs undoing, yes we all know we invented the game but to ignore the other nations because it would be unfair to the poor unfortunates that played against us probably set us back years in terms of development. I know we won the thing in 66 on home soil but that was more by luck than having the Worlds best players, although in Banks, Moore and Charlton we had a very good core.

Lovely post on the history GN5. I guess the fact that Uruguay won that inaugural World Cup is what makes them continue to strive for greatness despite having a population smaller than London, also that underdog spirit is there to see in their play and attitude.

The first WC was only in 1930? Are you kidding me? I was sure it was going on for at least 150 years. Oh well, you learnt something with every post from GN5!! Thank you sir, very interesting read.

I am off soon, will read it again on the plane and try to memorize at least some of it so I can spring a few questions on the innocent numpties

Just tuned in, good morning all.

I was in the midst of preparing a few Blasts on the World Cup, but I think that idea can now go on the back burner.

There was a time when I could get really emotional about the England team but their level of under achievement over the years has hardened me and although I would love to see them win something it did not concern me to see them ousted.

How many times have we heard our trumpet blown before a tournament only to end up being blown away? After a while you simply become jaundiced – that must be how Spurs supporters feel.

8. arnie says:

GN5. Yes, it is a bit quiet on AA, and that is an understatement. 😛 However, it is a great pleasure, and fantastic education. I hope there are more of such blasts, and more and more. 🙂

9. Firstly, nice one, GN5. Cheers.

Secondly, RockyLives (relating to your love and devotion of an “ex”)

“…and prompted the introduction of Philippe Senderos alongside Johan Djourou. This reprised Arsenal defensive pairing could never be likened to Adams and Bould – Addams family might be more accurate, given the horror show that followed.” [Telegraph]

The “Bleacher Report” incidentally gives Djourhou a ating of 4/10. Generous.

The very mention of Adams and Bould in the same para as Djourhou and Senderos is, well…
    Let me say quite simply, the Telegraph perfectly sums up the rather embarassing non-comparison in a perfectly fair p*ss-take. No more to be said as far as I’m concerned.
    And my comments are (obviously) not based on this one game, Rocky, but based on pretty much Djourhou’s entire career at Arsenal.

A case of red tinted glasses, methinks. He played for us, therefore he must be really good, ay Rocky (?).

10. Gunner N5.,

Is your first picture RockyLives’ brain?
    Laced-up… that’s unusual.

Another lovely and very interesting post.

I love the WC and this one is no exception – some wonderful football, some amateur defending, and huge reputations enhanced or damaged beyond repair.

There is so much in the pos which is new to me especially the participation of the Euro countries and the involvement of Jules Rimet.

Arnie. England didn’t take part because it was a tournament for Johnny Foreigner on Foreign soil and because it was assumed we would win easily why bother?

Btw GN5 can you and your Opus like Arsenal stats and facts compendium tell us who the first Arsenal player at a WC was? I have no idea, and it may be you have covered it in recent blasts that I haven’t had the opportunity to read?

13. Shard says:

Lovely post GN5.

You have a way of bringing out interesting details even in stories that are generally known. Once again I find your post very informative and absorbing. The travel part was something I had never really considered before in any detail.

I also loved arnie’s take on it in the first comment. Bribery, scandal, construction of new stadium, major delays etc etc. What would the modern day press make of it if a similar tournament were to start up now?

arnie,

What I meant was that now England are out the WC interest would wane and it would be futile to continue with WC posts.

“Blasts” can be written about many different aspects of football history. I accept the fact that this type of post does not get as many comments as those of a controversial nature, but as long as the AA regulars enjoy the “Blasts” then I will continue with them.

Raddy,

I’m with you on the overall enjoyment of the World Cup. It was odd watching Italy and Costa Rico yesterday as even though it would knock England out I found myself rooting for a Costa Rico victory.

I also find it incredible to see that its possible that both Uruguay and Costa Rico could progress to the last sixteen at the expense of Italy and England – that;s what WC’s are all about.

Shard,

Yep, nothing changes except the date, corruption, construction delays and scandals are still alive and well in football.

GIE,

This is England’s 1st World Cup team. it was going to be a part of another WC post.

I’m not positive that Scott Lawrence was the 1st Arsenal player in the World Cup but it appears that he was at least the 1st English player.

England’s first World Cup Squad. (1950)

Aston, John 28 LB Manchester United
    Scott, Lawrence 33 RB Arsenal
    Taylor, James 32 CB Fulham
    Watson, William 30 RH Sunderland
    Williams, Bert 30 G Wolverhampton
    Wright, William 26 RH Wolverhampton

18. arnie says:

Enjoying this, chums. 🙂 OK, so England believed / assumed they would win easily. But they did not get gold in the Olympics footie. That was Uruguay. Where were the Olympics played? Did England (I mean Great Britain) participate?

arnie,

Great Britain competed in the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam.

arnie,

England have always had an unfounded belief in their football superiority. The 1950 World Cup brought then down to earth with a real thud, they went crashing out after losing 1-0 to both Spain and America.

21. arnie says:

Football at the 1928 Summer Olympics

Men’s football at the Games of the IX Olympiad

Venues Olympic Stadium (Amsterdam)
    Dates May 27–June 13

Medalists
    Gold medal Uruguay
    Silver medal Argentina
    Bronze medal Italy

GB did not participate. Source: Wiki

22. arnie says:

GN5. Apparently not. See here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_1928_Summer_Olympics

A lot of intrigue. 🙂

Arnie,

When is a reliable “source” unreliable – when its Wiki.

This is also from Wiki????

Great Britain at the Olympic Games

Great Britain 2–0 China

Quarter Finals

August 8, 1936
    Poland 5–4 Great Britain

It seems no Arsenal player even though we won the FA Cup. 😦

25. arnie says:

GN5. Point well taken. 😛 Let us find out the truth, though. It is possible GB did not send a football team to the 1928 Olympics.

You may be correct.

27. arnie says:

GN5. I have collected some info on early GB teams in the Olympics, including Arsenal players. I would like to share with you. Better I think this way than as a post on here. 🙂

28. Happy Longest Day of the Year all, the sun is still on my garden so I’m going to enjoy the last minutes of it.

Fantastic post GN5, thank you so much for doing the research for it. It’s interesting that the european teams weren’t really up for travelling for the competition, is that why we still play in alternate tears in Europe?

I have to say that I was a very small girl in 1966 but that on that night we went on a family holiday and spent a few hours at Gatwick airport. I remember it being a pretty mad place but when I asked my dad what had happened he replied nonchalantly that England had won the world cup earlier and all these people were now trying to get home. I, like GiE, thought this must happen all the time …… how wrong was I.

I did think we were going to win it in 1998 and organised a huge house party for the Saturday night before the final. I’d invited about 150 people so when England went out early on I felt I was obliged to stick to the house party plan. It had been a miserable drizzly day but the evening went off without a hitch and the next day I cheered on France-Arsenal with as much gusto to win the World Cup. It was a great day to be an Arsenal supporter 🙂

29. The French were pretty good last night and tonight we have the Germans.

Oh how the BFG has changed me, I never thought I would cheer for Germany, but here I am looking forward to supporting our Germans – especially our Özil.

30. Do you feel sorry for them ……… ?

31. I wonder if it was Spain’s success and not just Barcelona’s that tugged at Cesc’s DNA.

I know, get over it peaches ……. but it’s really hard 😦

Excellent, GN5.

33. Bungo Gee says:

Hello All

I’ve read the posts for a few years but first time I’ve left a reply.

I really enjoyed this post on the inaugural world cup as much as I’ve enjoyed reading the other posts on Arsenal’s history. Thanks GN5 for drafting another great post.

34. arnie says:

Bungo Gee. Welcome to AA. Hope you continue to visit this space and make valuable comments. 🙂 🙂

Such a joy to read GN5, thank you.

I do think it’s time England re-considered their non-attendance policy on the grounds of being too good 🙂

Can’t help reading the word “Montevideo” without thinking of the epic film Battle of River Plate.

Missed all games yesterday. Weekend and blazing sunshine means beach, which is bad news for watching football.

I had Messsi down for Golden Boot. My logic being that the winner will score 5 or 6, so bagging a few against minnows in the group stage should do it, and I saw Argies against Iran. Yip, that should do it. 😦

Mesut. Any good. Wide right?

Germany v Ghana second half was the best I’ve seen so far, watched with the red button option of ‘no commentary’. Absolute bliss.
    Mesut was magnificently majestic in his subtle world-class way.

With the red button option, can you still hear the Ooos’ and Ahhhh’s of the crowd, or did you simply slip on one of your german marching band cd’s?

After Solstice Night, my money says Raddy is lying in a crumpled heap on the floor somewhere, still robed up, having consumed too many pints of meade

The day in time videos on Arsenal player are excellent.
    The link below is for the move to Highbury (need to login)
    Henry Norris had an unfeasibly large head!

The other one I particularly like is the ‘1919 promoted to the first division’ one.

You can still hear the crowd but might have to jack up the TV volume. It’s a bit eerie not having your tabs polluted with bullshit.

Though on second thoughts the marching band would have been good.

Mead is only ever imbibed from a pewter goblet – unless it’s Raphael, of course.

imbibed from a pewter goblet

So true 🙂

Being a Druid, and in touch with the Earth Goddess, he prefers more natural vessels, and “imbibes from a wooden chalice”

“Big Raddy” to his football mates

“Arthur Pendragon” to “The Sacred Circle”

Big Artie Pendragon 😆

Ha Ha

Poor Fella. Will awake to find he’s a victim and we’ll be long gone.

His fault. The drunken druid

49. White Bear says:

Witam z Warszawy!
    What was the score Argies v The Bus yesterday? I was watching at Heathrow, but there were too many travellers who stood right in front of the screen checking the results. For my own sanity I had to walk away

50. Bungo Gee says:

Thanks Arnie

I will certainly try to!

51. White Bear says:

what?? Iran outplayed Argentina for 90mins? What utter rubbish, I really should not read newspapers. The first half it was all Argies with Iranians guarding their goal as if they had something to hide

I don’t want to be a bear anymore

53. arnie says:

Iran truly took it to the Argies. What a fantastic advertisement for World Cup football. You represent your nation with pride and punch above your waist line. Often we forget that great performances can be had when you do that.

They lost, fair enough, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable game. That is what the World Cup is about! 🙂

arnie – really? I didn’t enjoy the first half at all, it was like watching Stoke on speed

55. arnie says:

Eddie: I watched the second half and it was quite a good game. OK, Iran were more on the defensive but they made some good chances as well. In the end, the injury time winner felt a bit harsh. However, fair enough I think. 🙂 Nice game.

56. arnie says:

Bungo Gee. welcome. 🙂

arnie – so between us we watched the whole game 🙂

Morning all

Well that is the first time in 3 years that Ozil played a full game and what a great player he is. Ghana were terrific in the second half and fully deserved their point.
    It’s a great WC and the fans really make it a great occasion.

I didn’t know there was a region in Brazil called Hamburgo where all the Nazis went after the war and now it’s an entirely german population.

I still think this is a very open tournament which makes it much more fun.

This new mead is powerful stuff – too many chemicals and not enough organics.

And I have a silver chalice.

Just watched the Germany game and Per was awful. He looked either injured or exhausted. Cracking game though and the Ghana right back was very good.

Kels – yes, fantastic competition, so much better than the South African world cup. I am supporting France now, but have a nasty feeling that there will be celebrations in Hamburgo

It’s amazing that the entire population of Costa Rica and Uruguay is two thirds of London and yet the motivation and energy levels are far greater than England.Other minnows such as Iran also show that total commitment.Ghana have a shoot on sight policy,not always effective but very entertaining.

Where is everybody?

Its strange not having a new post.

63. arnie says:

I am around, GN5. Keeping myself busy in research on the Olympics. 😛 Staying quiet because everyone seems to be asleep. 😛

64. Hello everyone, long time no comment. Fatherhood…
    I just hope the Liverpool psychopaths of the Three Lions aren’t gonna try and break our little Joel ! I’m pretty sure their Dane crushed Jack on purpose during that friendly and that was the beginning of the end of our last season…

arnie,

One of my all time Olympic moments was when Jesse Owens won 4 Gold Medals 1936 summer games in Berlin.

I was not alive at the time but the images of his Black Glove salute to Hitler created my best Olympic moment – by far.

It was a classic “Up yours”

GN5
    Hitler walked out at the ceremony.

67. Norfolk Gooner says:

GN5,

Jesse Owens made a black glove salute to Hitler at the 1936 Olympics? Really? Are you sure you’re not mixing him up with Tommy Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Mexico Olympics?

When Owens was asked about the Smith/Carlos incident he said “The black fist is a meaningless symbol,” “When you open it you have nothing but fingers – weak, empty fingers”.

68. Norfolk Gooner says:

Kelsey,

In later years, the story was told – and not always discouraged by Owens himself – of how Hitler had snubbed him by refusing to shake his hand after his victories, his form of congratulation for German winners.

This was not so. Hitler had indeed shaken hands with all the German victors on the first day of competition, and with the three medal winners in the 10,000m, who were all from Finland, his future allies in the Second World War. But Olympic officials then insisted he acknowledge publicly either all winners or none. Hitler chose the latter course, and so from the second day of competition, when Owens began his Olympics with the 100m heats, there was no question of his being personally greeted by the Führer.

If there was one black American who might have expected that dubious honour, it was Cornelius Johnson, winner of the high jump at the end of the first day. Hitler left the stadium early. Now there was a snub.

69. Norfolk Gooner says:

The above info comes from an article in the Independent dated 12th July 2009

Norfolk my friend

My adopted Dad was born and bred in Berlin and had the foresight to leave with my mum in 1936 and you can figure out the rest.

My Dad used to spar with Max Schmelling who was the heavyweight champion of the world who later became President of Coco Cola Europe.

Some people spend their time finding fault – oh dear how sad.

……………………………………………………………………………………..

This is from Owens biography.
    …………………………………………

For Adolph Hitler and the Nazis, the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games were expected to be a German showcase and a statement for Aryan supremacy. Most notably, Hitler lambasted America for including black athletes on its Olympic roster.

But it was the African-American participants who helped cement America’s success at the Olympic Games. In all, the United States won 11 gold medals, six of them by black athletes. Owens was easily the most dominant athlete to compete. He captured four gold medals (the 100 meter, the long jump, the 200 meter and the 400-meter relay), and broke two Olympic records along the way. Owens record for the world broad jump would last 25 years until being broken by Olympian Irvin Roberson in 1960. After Owens won the 100-meter event, a furious Hitler stormed out of the stadium, though some reports indicate that Hitler later congratulated the athlete on his success.

While Owens helped the U.S. triumph at the games, his return home was not met with the kind of fanfare one might expect. President Franklin D. Roosevelt failed to meet with Owens and congratulate him, as was typical for champions. The athlete wouldn’t be properly recognized until 1976, when President Gerald Ford awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The mild-mannered Owens seemed not the least bit surprised by his home country’s hypocrisy. “When I came back to my native country, after all the stories about Hitler, I couldn’t ride in the front of the bus,” he said. “I had to go to the back door. I couldn’t live where I wanted. I wasn’t invited to shake hands with Hitler, but I wasn’t invited to the White House to shake hands with the president, either.”

………………………………………………………………………………………..

The poor guy was treated just as dismissively in America as he was in Germany – too bad.

72. arnie says:

Brilliant discussion on Jesse Owens. 🙂 🙂 My research of course is on the Arsenal – Olympics connections. Which being rare, as you might imagine, is great fun to explore. 🙂 I will try and construct a post hopefully some time soon.

Not very topical, but this about as a thought from GN5’s post. 🙂

Did TV get subbed because of injury?

Injury looks the most likely, only 30 minutes had passed, he was playing fine, they showed a clip of him pulling up and looking in some pain during the warm up, so it all points to injury.

Hazard. Wow. He didn’t really impress in EPL and I wonder if that was the Maurinho factor

76. arnie says:

Chris Carpenter (on Beebs): I’m writing to you to request the last 93 minutes of my life back… Is this possible please? Yours faithfully, Boredom.

😛

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. As they lay down for the night, Holmes said:” Watson, look up into the sky and tell me what you see?”

Watson said, “I see millions and millions of stars.”

Holmes: “And what does that tell you?”

Watson: “Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Theologically, it tells me that God is great and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorogically, it tells me that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.

What does it tell you, Sherlock?”

Holmes: “Somebody stole our tent

peaches
    What’s this red and white flowering bush called, please?

82. arnie says:

how reliable, Chas? 😛

I only put it up because Micky likes that sort of shit. 🙂

84. arnie says:

Chas. 🙂

85. arnie says:

what a game

Yes I do 🙂

Couple of meaningless games today just when I’m ready to watch 😦

Motning, mon meilleur ami.

Twitter has said that Giroud’s wife has made him have a really terrible haircut to try to ensure his fidelity.

Grumpy drawers

Chas

I’d imagine you could “eat your breakfast” off that one 🙂

At some point of last week I said I was ready to settle down and watch many games, and now that I really do have some time, it’s dead rubber time. I guess Italy Uruguay is the next “must watch”

Yeah, Italy Uruguay should be good.

Croatia Mexico might be quite fun tonight

I think you could eat a 5 course banquet. 🙂

I ought to stop following Ludivine really……..

Chas

Perhaps you could set up “Fan Watch”

I trust you to be selective 🙂

Ant and me aren’t going to the Community Shield.
    Might be two tickets for you and Oscar to have a trip to Wembley if you fancy?

Oooooo, we really are bezzies 🙂

Will look at dates. We have people staying every weekend this summer, although some don’t matter as far as I’m concerned.

98. arnie says:

Motning all.

No such high hopes on Croatia. But Mexico will be good. One good team makes a quarter of a good game. Worth watching then. 🙂

Wow chas, beautiful Salvia, is that Hot Lips?

100. We have a New Post ………………….

Shame for USA. they deserved the 3 points.