How the Nicolas Pepe deal was really done ….

Despite being bombarded with stories that Arsenal could only afford the £40m offered for Zaha, it seems clear that the club is trying to buy Nicolas Pepe for a deal thought to be in the region of £72m ….. How?

Past transfer shenanigans have shown that deals can be made on a whim and a handshake at times, with players being snatched off the treatment table when having a medical for one club to jumping straight on a plane to sign for another.

Deals are done in car parks, engineered by other players, a casual phone call … all sorts of chicanery can be involved.

Mike M came up with this possible (albeit tongue in cheek) script of how the negotiations between Lille and Arsenal were conducted ….

Imaginary conversation:

Lille 1 : So we need $80m for Pepe or we’re not selling.
Lille 2: Hey Boss, Arsenal are on the phone inquiring about Pepe.
Lille 1: Tell them to forget it. They only have $40m they can’t afford him.
Lille 2: I told them, they still want to talk to you
Lille 1: What a colossal waste of time. Ok put them on.
Lille 1: So you’re interested in Pepe huh, my assistant already told you he’s not in your price range. We want $95m.

Arsenal: What is our price range? How do you know?

Lille 1: Everyone knows. It was in the media.

Arsenal. We’ll give you $65m structured as follows … (blah blah).

Lille 1: No we want at least $90m

Arsenal : The player wants to come to us, lets figure it out.

Lille 1: Ok.

Lots of talking……..

Arsenal: so $72m it is structured in the following way …. (blah blah)

Lille 1 : Ok. You’re lucky the player wants to join you. We already have offers of $80m. Deal. Hang up phone.

Arsenal 1: So they thought we only had $40m to spend. You think if we’d announced we had $100m they would have settled for $72m?

Arsenal 2: Hard to say, but I’m glad we didn’t kill that press rumour, it certainly didn’t hurt.

Meanwhile

Lille 1: So I guess we did good. They only had $40m and we ended up getting $72 from them.
Lille 2: Good job Boss, I’d have never believed that a few hours ago.

Gooooooners!!!

NB – Hope we get him now !!!!!!

Mike M

66 Responses to How the Nicolas Pepe deal was really done ….

1. Maxwell says:

Nice one, Mike M!

And I agree with your postscript.

2. Silentstan says:

If only all the stupid bloggers hadn’t believed it

3. LBG says:

Seems the most likely scenario Mike if the deal does go through.
    I personally am happy with the possibility. A 22 year old with plenty of potential for future sell on if he doesn’t become a legend.
    Another left footed player, played on the right. Do hope (again) we might play Pepe, Nelson and/or Saka occasionally on the side they can attack the fullback around the outside. Recognise the ability to come inside creates space and dilemma for wide defenders, and allows for our fullbacks to attack byline. On that basis, hope Bellerin has been practising/been taught crossing at pace..
    All in all I believe Pepe has great potential to both create for Aubang and Laca, AND score himself. Very experienced and confident penalty and free kick taker. A good package IMO.

4. abwuz2000 says:

Arsenal did fooled everyone

5. fred1266 says:

Morning all

Wonder what kinda team Dick fields today

are we really going to get pepe will only believe it when i see it,

also you all remember the last Ivory coast player we got from Lille lol

6. allezkev says:

It’s a shame that Xavier Amaechi has left for Hamburg, he has a hell of a lot of talent and you can never have too many talented footballers in your squad, but I guess the prospective signing of Pepe explains partly why he’s moved and will act as justification to his decision.

Roy Hodgson now has a very unhappy fella on his hands.

7. fred1266 says:

Xavier Amaechi has left Arsenal and signed for Hamburg to continue the trend of young English footballers moving to Germany.

Amaechi, 18, has signed a four-year contract with the 2.Bundesliga side after entering the final 12 months of his deal at Emirates Stadium.

The winger reportedly turned down approaches from several European heavyweights, including Bayern Munich, and Arsenal’s offer of an extension.

He joins Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and RB Leipzig forward Ademola Lookman in completing a permanent switch to Germany, where Arsenal pair Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith-Rowe have recently spent time on loan.

HSV English

@HSV_English
    It’s amazing who you can meet in the club shop these days…#nurderHSV #MoinXavier

Embedded video
    4:42 AM – Jul 28, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See HSV English’s other Tweets

8. MC says:

I’ll be really disappointed if its not true, so as far as I’m concerned its all b.s.

This could all be a ploy to get Napoli to increase their offer.

It will be very disappointing if that us the case.

10. fred1266 says:

Actually wouldn’t be disappointed for me at all cause I will get see more of saka and nketiah

What will be disappointed is how stupid the club would look

11. fred1266 says:

Sue will u be also taking in the womans match

12. Sue says:

Sat watching it, Fred.. after finally getting out of the Armoury, never seen it so rammed!!!

13. fred1266 says:

Did you get your kit, which colour u end up going with

14. Rebo Ehwan says:

Is this story of Pepe true?! I can only believe when I see him sign. May I wake up to find out it was not a dream, but reality.

15. fred1266 says:

Rebo got up this morning and heard he going United so I don’t even know what to believe anymore

16. fred1266 says:

Sue did you wearing anything so we can identify saw someone with bright green shades was that you

17. These shirts look dreadful …… Emirates Fly Better what’s that all about?

18. Aaron says:

Nice game from Arsenal right now, the youth showing themselves well, should be 3 or 4 to 1 right now. (Eddie missed 2 clear chances) But, the Arsenal give up a goal off 1 cross and defense did not follow a runner. They have a goal disallowed, and then countered for another goal and you know who was at the back end of it.

Sheesh…

19. LBG says:

Aaron
    I’m guessing his name begins with an M!

20. Aaron says:

There has to be some change at the back!

Now way can the Arsenal get top 4 with Sok and Mustafi back there, actually no way in hell.

Hopeful that Laca and AMN are ok, will leave it at that.

21. Aaron says:

LBG,

Of course, and as usual the constant hand up for the opposition is offside, they were not, and the world waltzes by.

22. RC78 says:

So more sloppy defending…some good moves through Auba

23. Hi guys

Does anyone fancy writing a match report for that game?

Let me know or send it through to arsenalnuts@live.com

Thanks

It is alleged that Pool have lodged a late bid for Pepe, matching Arsenal’s bid.

Mmm, let me see — sign for Napoli? Maybe, maybe not. Sign for Arsenal? Maybe, maybe not. Sign for ‘Pool the CL champions? Mmmm ……..

Sue could get her man Zaha after all.

Or it could all be bollix. We will find out all in good time.

25. Rebo Ehwan says:

For goodness’s sake, why are Arsenal not treating the sale of Mustafi as a priority in this window?!

26. fred1266 says:

Haven’t heard from Sue in a while am a bit concern that she has done something drastic as she didn’t get to see sead

27. Sue says:

Haha Fred, not going to lie, I was very disappointed Kolasinac wasn’t in the squad, but after his heroics last week, I guess he was modelling for his statue (😋)
    A highlight of mine, from the 1st half, was Jon Moss on his arse 😂 loved it!! Watching him warm up – just about made a lap of the pitch, then looked absolutely cream crackered!!
    I could focus on the negatives, but we all know what they are! So I’d like to focus on the positives – Nelson was sooo good, I liked the look of Ceballos.. Auba was really lively & that attempt 😍 if only it had gone in!! Impressed with the youngsters again 👏
    Laca is worrying, especially seeing him hobble over to the bench with a brace on 😩
    Half time was superb.. Diaby was there! Nice to see him back at the Emirates and Gunnersaurus had a penalty shoot out against Bayern’s mascot – hilarious!!

RA.. Everton have put a 55m bid in for Zaha… hmmm the plot thickens…..

28. Sue says:

Oh and btw the Liverpool score cheered me up no end!! 😝

29. Sue says:

Just one other thing… the minutes applause for Jose Antonio Reyes… seeing his picture on the screen and then hearing over the mic, that he’ll always be known as an Invincible… made me a lil emosh…… RIP Jose

30. fatgingergooner says:

I heard it was PSG who had matched the Pepe bid, not Liverpool.

I hope we get him. The club needs a lift and a huge signing would do that.

Apparently boos for Mustafi today. Not happy with that if true. Sure, he’s not the best, but booing your own current players when they are trying to give their best is low.

31. fred1266 says:

Yea it is true

Hopefully the boos makes him realize he is his agent looks for a new club for him

He was even booed in America games

Booing isn’t nice but the guy does nothing for the fans to think je is trying

32. fred1266 says:

Mustafi does give his best FGG

33. fred1266 says:

Does not give his best I meant

34. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t see a need to boo current Arsenal players. Maybe you could justify Koscielny getting booed seeing as he’s tried to undermine the club, but I don’t agree that booing Mustafi is acceptable whether you want him at the club or not.

As proven by my previous comment (which was tongue in cheek btw) I’m not a fan of Mustafi and don’t think he’s good enough, but if you think booing him until he leaves is the way to go, I wonder if encouraging him until he improves is something to think about?

35. fred1266 says:

I’ve just heard that we’ve offered Kolasinac as a makeweight in a deal for Zaha … can anyone shed any light on this?

37. fatgingergooner says:

Could be a real player if he works on his pace…..🤔

38. fatgingergooner says:

Makeweight? He’s about 14 stone heavier than him so does that mean they have to pay us!? 😂

Surely we can’t be expecting Zaha AND Pepe? If that rumour is true then I’d imagine one of the deals is a back-up in case we do t get the other completed.

Hi FGG, the word I used in the post was chicanery …. I think there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on … we may never have been genuinely interested in Pepe and it was all about securing Zaha.
    It seems double and treble bluffs cannot be ruled out. I assume the club will have a list of targets for various positions and first, second and third choices to fit the bill,

40. fred1266 says:

Apparently the club captains are xhaka mesut and monreal

41. fred1266 says:

Lacazette had on a protective boot also sigh

42. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

The other side of the deal would be that it indicates Tierney is on his way in. Personally I think that deal will get done and we’ll end up with one of Everton, Zaha, Pepe in which case I’d be very happy indeed. Also rumours of us getting Juventus CB Rugani on loan of Koscielny leaves. Hopefully signs that the club are starting to be a bit more proactive and I’m also liking the age/status of the players we are going for. Zaha the oldest at 26 so lots of potential sell on value in the players we are going for. If we are successful they will stay, but if they want to leave we can get big bucks for them. Far better than losing players like we have in the last 2 years.

Hi Fred …. it seems UE views the role of captain in a similar way to AW …. shame IMO … 3 captains sends out the wrong message.

44. Fingers Faud says:

Hello. I thought the tribute to Reyes was nice. It was good to see Diaby also. Shame Mustafi was booed. I thought Xhaka was unlucky with the amount of times he was fouled and given nothing but I felt his constant backward passing was poor. Encouraging displays from Willow, Nelson, Nkhetia and the two new signings. We were linked with Anderson of Lyon who I thought looked good (but that’s the only time I’ve seen him) and seemed what we need as a CB. Dembele and Denayer looked decent to me also.

45. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Agreed about smoke and mirrors. We truly have no idea what’s happening. It could be that Pepe is the real target and the bids for Zaha are to get him to commit to our offer in front of the other clubs who want him. Could work both ways. Personally, I’d take a chance on the younger Pepe, but I could see a lot of benefits in signing a proven PL player like Zaha who hopefully would flourish playing with quality players. Both what we need though and both an improvement on what we have.

46. Sue says:

Oh Rasp, how can you say such a thing?! 😳😱

Mustafi booed…………………….

How did those people come to be supporting the same club as I do?

48. RC78 says:

Am hoping Pepe signs for Arsenal but our latest results may count against us…

If Pepe comes, our front three will be scary
    Pepe, Laca, Auba

They don’t need much feeding from the rest of the tesm, they can all create their chances and chances for each other. That said, we still need the full backs and two mids to keep the ball moving.

Yes FFG … that makes perfect sense. I agree Tierney is likely (and it will mean I will maintain my 100% record on predictions 😂) and perm one from three of Pepe, Zaha and Everton … at the moment I wouldn’t have a clue either which of the three it will be (hoping we get one)

Sorry Sue, it’s just another rumour out there … one thing is for sure … the club is being very successful at keeping everyone guessing 🙂

51. Sue says:

Bloody rumours, Rasp 😂 one thing’s for sure – going to be a very eventful 11 days…..

I’m happy with the signings we’ve made so far … to be honest I had quite low expectations. I’m also beginning to think that UE is planning to bring Willock into the first team squad. Nelson’s chances will be reduced if he brings in one of the three mentioned.

53. fred1266 says:

I find xhaka is to much of a baby he gives away RhT most foul in the side but moans when he gets a touch

54. fred1266 says:

LB u have never booed a player

55. fred1266 says:

Our front 3 will never be scary cause we can’t defend one ball over the top and that it for us look how deep Lyon was and soon as we came close they snuff out or chance I think qe should sit a bit deeper cause our defense isn’t fast enough to play such a high line

56. Sue says:

I’m happy with them too, Rasp. Willock has improved immensely.. so I’m all for that. I thought Nelson was superb today.. nice to have a lot of younger talent to choose from!

Torreira should be back soon.. we play again on Wednesday… but I think he’ll be back for the Barca game, on Sunday!!
    The season is within touching distance – Soccer AM, Soccer Saturday, Super Sunday.. oh I’m buzzing!! 😁

57. fatgingergooner says:

I think the whole point of us playing a high line is it allows us to press the ball higher up, which is what most of the fans want. Unfortunately, one of the consequences of that is the fact we are susceptible to the long ball if our defenders aren’t smart enough or quick enough. Most of us agree that we need CB upgrades and I think Emery will see the same thing, but if the forward players that can improve the side are available this year and we have to wait until next year before the defenders who can improve the side are available, then so be it. The new look Arsenal management structure can only do so much. I really think this window could be a turning point for the club, and i believe the introduction of Saliba, along with 1 or 2 defensive reinforcements next year could really see the squad move up the table.

If we see a real improvement in our attacking play this year with the introduction of Ceballos, Martinelli, Nelson, Willock and a winger (Pepe, Zaha, Everton), then imagine how good we could be if in 12 months time we combine that with an improved defence (Tierney, Saliba, Holding plus any additions).

The club said we should be excited and it seems we should be excited. 🤞

58. fred1266 says:

Hmm haven’t been to impressed with Nelson

59. fred1266 says:

Hi sue you go to A lot of games normal

60. Sue says:

No Fred, 10 maximum a season

61. Rebo Ehwan says:

Fatgingergooner, I agree with your analysis. Just that Mustafi needs to be offloaded. He is too heavy-footed for the premier league. And if we take into consideration the quality of attackers coming into the premier league next season, Mustafi just has to go!

62. fred1266 says:

I hope u choose 1 game between December 1st and 15

63. LBG says:

Ginger
    Want to say I agree with every work. Bravo sir!

64. LBG says:

word, word, word…fu***** predictive text!

Morning all …