40 Million Lies … Vinai tells it like it is …

Vinai Venkatesham was asked about the much touted figure of £40m as Arsenal’s transfer budget at a Q & A session with the Arsenal Supporters’ Club two days ago.

His answers didn’t conform with the agendas of many news outlets and so were only reported accurately by those who care about Arsenal … not those who seek profit from disseminating fake news. The figure of £40m had been so widely reported that it was accepted as fact by the majority of Arsenal supporters.

Here are the bullet points of VV’s response to the £40m question:

• I don’t recognise this £40m figure
  • That doesn’t come from us, that doesn’t come from the club.
  • We never ever, ever, ever talk about how much money we have to spend because that’s the least helpful thing you can do.
  • It is true that our funds are more limited after three years in the Europa League, but the budget isn’t £40m.
  • We have the budget to make a difference, but as Raul (Sanllehi) says, this is a particularly tough window and we’re in the middle of it.
  • I sense and understand the frustration, but there is a huge amount of misinformation out there in the market.
  • About 85% of what you read just isn’t true.

Is Vinai lying? I don’t think so.

Maybe those who are more comfortable feeling a sense of injustice and have an intrinsic lack of trust in our management will continue to believe the negative press directed at Arsenal, but I would say that these few well chosen words by Mr. Venkatesham should be seen as very good news.

Rasp

64 Responses to 40 Million Lies … Vinai tells it like it is …

1. fred1266 says:

And it would seems we still not getting CB

Morning fred,

You should reread the last para ….

“Maybe those who are more comfortable feeling a sense of injustice and have an intrinsic lack of trust in our management will continue to believe the negative press” 🙂

Excellent piece, Rasper, and while it is true that some will say “he would say that, wouldn’t he” it does not hurt to present more accurate information like this directly from the club.

I know that you, like me, treat every bit of gobble-dee-dook in the media with a large pinch of salt, and in truth that would be the reaction of most Gooner fans.

In addition, there are some fans who don’t need media assistance to sow dissent by rudely telling others that they are wrong about this, that and everything, because they know the real truth — failing to explain what their sources are.

The beauty of blogs like AA is that there are all sorts of opinions expressed which form an interesting basis for debate.
    Opinions are just that – a view about something, not necessarily based on fact, or irrefutable knowledge, but which can generate sometimes fractious debate that is the essential lifeblood of any blog worth its salt.

Hi Redders, financial housekeeping is not a sexy topic. As you say, each individual’s chosen interpretation of the news (fake or otherwise) says more about them than the club.

I wrote this because it was a frank and clear statement by the Managing Director. It has to be given credence.

5. Sue says:

That’s because you know who we’re getting Fred… prepare to lose the bet 😁

6. Sue says:

Thanks Rasp… that’s made me feel a whole lot better!!

😂 morning Sue … I sense a hint of irony in your tone 😂

Are you going to The Emirates Cup tomorrow?

Thanks Rasp

Been a tad busy so missed that statement by VV. Good news really and he put it across reasonably well. Arguably this could have been said a few weeks back, and I recognise there is a fine line between overplaying your funds but also not portraying the also ran pauper. Maybe we let the latter image drift a tad too long if there is criticism to be aimed.

I never quite believed the £40m which is why I feel we can get Tierney and Zaha (or Pepe) if we want to and they want to come. Getting the right 2-3 recruits to mix with the youngsters is important this summer.

Sorry RA, missed all your comments yesterday. Could you kindly tell the board that as I am saving money on sending Sue “up Norf” that the savings can be added to their coffers. In addition if they want to sell a couple of the camels, that have recently been masquerading as Arsenal players, back to the camel owners association then this could add further to the available funds 🙂

BTW I am taking one of your fellow countrymen to the Ems tomorrow RA

Yes she is, Rasp, and she refused to take me!!

Can you believe that? 😁

10. Sue says:

Hello Rasp… I was being deadly serious!! Things appear to be on the up… looking good!

Yes… and needless to say – I’m very excited!! Are you?

GB, 😁😁

Is that code for multi-millionaires, when you say you are taking one of my countrymen to the game —– you mean —— (shush) you are taking Trump (shush) — of course not — I like you, and you are not that potty!! 😜

Great to hear you’re a ray of sunshine Sue 😂 it’s no fun being miserable. Rebuilding the team brings its own challenges … but living through change is seldom boring.

13. Sue says:

Maybe next season, RA.. if you’re lucky 😜

Morning all, if everything in the press is to be believed Gareth Bale is about to swan off to China and football obscurity for the princely sum of £1m per week.

His annual salary dwarfs what most clubs are spending on transfer fees alone, and therein lies the problem for all clubs. It is not just the acquisition cost, the salary demands means you have to double the transfer fee at least to get the true cost for the club. As ever it’s fine balancing act which weighs up revenue against player wages and contract expiries, should we let X leave to fund future of Y, do you spread small wages across a wide squad or big wages across a thin squad?

Given signings and spending of recent years my greatest concern is that there is no clear plan/vision for how we are building a squad, or what we are building towards.

With no meaningful acquisitions or squad changes I fear we will be changing manager before long, as clearly Emery needs new blood to fulfil his style of football and if we are not giving it to him why would he stay?

Hi GiE, of course you are right … and there’s nothing we, or the club can do to reverse the trend. I understand your reservations regarding UE. To some extent we will know more about his MO by how many of the upcoming academy players he brings into the squad.

I don’t think we can see his time at PSG as an indicator because his brief there was the opposite to Arsenal = almost unlimited funds v careful management of limited resources.

All we can do is give him the benefit of the doubt and hope to enjoy the style of football he serves up.

Hopefully, GB, I think there is still a possibility that we will sign a couple more players (don’t tell Sue-B-Doo) but maybe even Zahaha.

And you never know, maybe our desire to see some youth players get a chance, we might surprise everyone, and make a fist out of competing for a top 4 place and CL qualifying.

[walks off whistling Dixie] 🤠

Morning GIE,

When I saw Rasper’s comment re ‘financial housekeeping’ I hoped that would draw you out!! 😁

[ I read your first comment, and was convinced it was from GB – so if my response looks a bit skewed – it’s your fault!! ] 🥺

18. fred1266 says:

Yea I can believe, don’t think anyone at AA is willing to take u anywhere

19. fred1266 says:

Which tier u in sue so I can look for you on Tele

20. Sue says:

Upper tier, Fred…

21. Sue says:

Vermaelen has signed for Vissel Kobe (give my love to Lukas!!)
    So now Ornstein is reporting we’ve agreed €80 for a winger, from the Ivory Coast……..

22. Sue says:

So… this is what Josh meant about us being excited! Woah!! 😳😀

23. allezkev says:

Cheers Rasp, nice post and to the point, why should the club discuss its transfer fund and thus show its hand.
    I wonder, did the £45m originate from the work done by Swiss Ramble and spun by the ‘fakers’ to cause maximum effect?

Nicolas Pepe eh?
    I refuse to believe it until he’s pictured in our shirt…

24. VP of Oz says:

Great Post Rasp.
    I agree that transfer rumours are full of shit.
    I’m only interested after we sign someone and usually enjoy taking the piss until that happens.
    When negotiating, who would ever tell anyone how much we can spend. You would have to be stark raving if you went out and said I’ve got 100mil to piss into the wind
    Anyway, that all said, news is at fever pitch on a 72mil Pepe
    COYG!

No not Trump RA, someone far more sensible and better able to run the USA; a 17 year old friend of the family.

Wow Pepe, if rumours are to be believed.

I potentially feel that Pepe may even be a slightly better option than Wilf. Pepe seems to play inside right as a left footer and scores quite a few goals, but he also looks like a potential longer term number 10 option as well, which I am not sure Zaha quite has in his locker.

Wilf I like because he is an excellent EPL ready player that maybe has another level in him at a bigger club, and I also like him because he likes us and supported us as a boy.

Wilf would really take up the position of Nelson while Pepe would take up the position of Saka but as I say pepe looks like he could move in centrally behind a single number 9 as well which may give us the better balance and also squad options.

If we were an oiled up club I’d say get both 🙂

26. fred1266 says:

Omni will be looking for you

27. fred1266 says:

Ok I will be looking for you

28. VP of Oz says:

GB, all I know is that we are owned by a multi-billionaire with links to a walmart inheritance so get both, we dont need to be oiled up, walmart sells enough motor oil, olive oil and extra virgin oil to cover the fees.

29. fred1266 says:

Pepe from Ivory Coast also haha

30. fred1266 says:

Think u got that wrong saka plays on left and Nelson on right

31. fred1266 says:

32. LBG says:

Allez kev
    “Refuse to believe it until he has the shirt on!”.
    Agree but IF we get him……….he is a much, much better proposition for wide attacker than Zaha, sorry Sue

Rasp, it is not so much reservations about Emery but reservations about those above him working for the manager in terms of squad. Sometimes you can learn from those below you and one prime example is Watford. They frequently change coach (they are not managers). The coach has to abide by Director of Footballs style, the Director of Football chooses the players to fit that style, the coach has the traits to get most out of those players.

We are not able to just buy our way to success that much is clear, but we can outspend Watford, Wolves and the like for players to fit a certain style, the question is who is delivering that vision, how do those in power on transfer side expect our team to play. Chelsea managers have not been given freedom to spend, someone else buys them. Which is why managerial changes cause less disruption. Same at Watford.

Liverpool clearly had no one until Klopp arrived and he gave them the direction and sorted wheat from chaff in his squad to deliver a total change at the club.

I think this article about Mislintat leaving is my most troubling https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-transfer-news-mislintat-latest-board-kronke-a9012401.html

He states that he wanted to promote more youth, was responsible for signing Torreira and Guendouzzi, and PEA, but would have promoted youth instead of loaning Denis Suarez.

It seems to me like he wanted to be bold but the club probably want to avoid antagonism by not spending/signing. For me the culture of spending has been adopted to date fans appetite for new toys, seems to me like Mislintat wanted to go a different way that would be a tougher sell to the fans. Although for the benefit of the club in the long run.

34. Sue says:

Fred… I just lurve that bodyguard picture of Sead & Mesut 😍😍 brilliant!!
    I’m expecting to see a statue of him at the Emirates tomorrow!! 😜

LBG.. it’s ok, Zaha isn’t everyone’s cup of tea… it was just a pipe dream for me anyway! I’m just excited that we ARE spending, and a considerable amount too! He will be great for us, just hope it goes through!! So our instalments had better not be 1m a year, as I can’t see Lille going for that 😂😂😂

35. fred1266 says:

36. fred1266 says:

Who u like zaha so much Sue

37. fatgingergooner says:

Been out of the loop for a week or so….any transfers activity going on? 😂

Good comment GIE. I hope the answer lies somewhere in the middle with a heavy emphasis on our academy but with significant investment for the right 2-3 players to compliment this. I don’t want to see us bringing in so-so players over an academy player.

I am a big fan of getting our young quality players into the 1st team. There is something more satisfying about it at a base level to have a player that has come through the ranks and really feels the club at their heart becoming a big part of our future.

Fred, your 1.05, I think that was a response to one of my comments. I will try and get a little post into the site that tackles this and will use what you said plus a couple of others comments to emphasise the discussion if you don’t mind.

40. fred1266 says:

mike u were a fly on the wall for that transfer negotiations lol

41. Aaron says:

So, a if a big and when happens, the Arsenal are going to try and outscore everyone.

Really hope the Arsenal get Rugani or some other cb to start the season in the middle.

My only real concern with the firepower approach is packed steel lunch boxes, and no key to get in, and get countered to give up a goal on 1 shot. Yes, we have seen it many times at the Arsenal.

42. Mike M says:

We need a CB. Undoubtedly. But we also needed a replacement for Ramsey (check) and a winger than can beat people (check – Hopefully !!). So we’re 2 thirds done and there’s still time. Also note our negotiation with Lille seem to have been very private. Let’s hope there’s more in the works !!!!

Thanks for the response GiE … I can’t respond in detail because I’m playing cricket and have just come off for rain. I never really knew what Gazidis did … but now he’s gone, it appears he was poor and far too comfortable in his position. Unai is just a coach … let’s hope he can fulfill that narrow brief.

Mike

If we have the reported funds available to secure Pepe, I would imagine the LB box in the form of Tierney will be ticked off soon as well.

I would be pleased if we end up buying Zaha or Pepe or both, but as regards Pepe it seems that altho Sky are saying Arsenal have agreed to meet Lille’s fee for Pepe, they seem to play down the fact that Pool and I think Manure have also agreed the fee, and also some continental clubs like Napoli have also done so.

So, I won’t start cheering until if and when the deal has been signed, and if it turns out to be a trash comment I will say, “huh, I never rated him anyway!” — me fickle? more that I have become a little more cynical as the years of transfer windows click by.

46. Hi guys

Rasp is playing cricket but he asked me to pinch Mike’s comment as it was such fun and we’ll use it as a post tomorrow. Sorry to those of you who have read it and commented already.

47. Sue says:

So, it looks like Ryan Shawcross has broken his leg… now you know how it feels, you dirty sod

48. fatgingergooner says:

Saw that earlier Sue, and i have to admit, I smiled! 😂

Karma at its finest right there as Ramsey goes to play with Ronaldo for Juventus and Shawcross is stuck in Stoke A&E! 😂😂😂

49. Sue says:

Hahaha love it, FGG!!! 👍 Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy (or team!!)

50. fred1266 says:

Or current CB is sokratis and chamber not bad IMO then it sokratis holding when fit but since most players get niggling.injury from recovery it going to be sok and chambers so not that tressed

51. fred1266 says:

52. fred1266 says:

Wonder how much they win by with mustafi on there side

53. fred1266 says:

Apparently am Ivorian took the photo (this comment is for sue) lol

54. LBG says:

Good to see you back, LB. Us Liam Brady nuts are a rare breed!

55. Sue says:

Nice one, Fred 😄 and btw, I like Wilf because he’s a beast! 👊

56. fred1266 says:

57. fred1266 says:

And he from ivory Coast aswell

58. fred1266 says:

Hmm so guessing you like beastly type then will sead

Morning everyone … does anyone have a few words for a Lyon pre-match?

We should get a first look at Ceballos …

Morning all …

… New post … taken from a comment yesterday …