Zaha …… the best we can afford?

I love our club but why are we offering £40m for a player that is widely valued at £80-£100m? Does his love of Arsenal mean that he’s going to be successful for us or is he just following in the footsteps of other English players who we want to be better than they turn out to be?

I know sometimes you have to take a punt on a player but surely not at that price. I can see this becoming embarrassing while Palace dig their heels in for more and Zaha comes out and says he’ll only play for Arsenal.

Is the desire to buy Zaha (and Tierney to some extent) linked to the Homegrown Rule where in a squad of a maximum of 25 players there have to be 8 homegrown players over the age of 21?

Arsene Wenger (or Gazidis?) always made sure that there were sufficient numbers of Homegrown in the squad to satisfy the rules. Losing Welbeck means we must replace somewhere with homegrown, similarly if we sell Jenkinson and Chambers. Homegrown means that a player has to have been at an English (or Welsh) club for three years before they turn 21 ……… so Bellerin (Spain) counts as homegrown having come through our academy.

One of our bloggers summed it up for me yesterday ………….

I think we could buy Zaha for £45 million plus the likes of one of our lower earners (but half decent players) as Jenks or Elneny etc. but the only reason I see for having him would be that we wouldn’t have to face him again and the increase in our penalty count.

In other news Swiss Ramble put a brilliant thread on Twitter about the state of our finances, have a read if you get a chance, we have really dropped down the pecking order against the other top six sides. Shockingly our income from commercial deals is well below the other clubs ………… and we’re supposed to be a self sustaining model.

I’m sure there’ll be more mad news today ……..

peachesgooner

87 Responses to Zaha …… the best we can afford?

1. Sue says:

40m should be ample!!!

2. RC78 says:

Even if we could afford him,
    is a winger our priority? I don’t think so.
    If it were a priority, would I go for Zaha? Only as a fall back option.

Anyways, rumours have it that we have made a laughable bid so chances of landing him are not so high maybe

3. Sue – I tend to agree with you that £40m should be ample for him but such is the crazy money out there that Palace think he should be worth more.

4. RC78 says:

As for the homegrown, we will probably have
    Martinez, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Willock, Iwobi, Reiss Neilsson, Nketiah

And maybe also ESR so we should be covered although we lost 2 homegrown on a free aka Ramsey and Wellbeck

5. RC78 says:

Gotta check the ages of RN, ESR, Nketiah and Willock to see if they fit the 21 requirement

6. RC78 says:

Peaches – awesome post

7. Only over 21’s count as Homegrown so from your list none of Willock, Reiss Neilson or Nketiah count.

I think we have all said at one time that we needed an upgrade on Iwobi and at the very least he is that.

9. VP says:

Gauff almighty, Venus is sent home

10. Well that throws a spanner in the works LB 😉 …… I feel Iwobi is still a work in progress, his use was hampered a bit by the Ozil/Ramsey question.

11. If only this was a tennis blog VP, that would be a great headline 😉

12. allezkev says:

Home based as it stands : Holding, Bellerin, Maitland Niles, Iwobi, Martinez, Jenkinson, Iliev, Chambers, Macey, cull 8 from them, all the others are U21’s.

I think Sue is right, £40m is a realistic opening bid for Zaha.

Great post thanks peaches … topical and controversial .. what were you thinking of? 🙂

I’m quite basic in the way I relate to players. Wanting to play for Arsenal is high on the list, as is outrageous talent and strength and determination …. Zaha ticks all those boxes.

We can’t have a clue what’s going on behind the scenes, maybe there are deals on the table we could take to sell some of the players not in UE’s plans.

One thing that is dawning on me is that Gazidis screwed us and then ran away. I’m very pleased he’s gone, but wish he’d been more answerable for his poor decisions in the last few years …and we’d have sacked the useless %$£&

14. RC78 says:

Peaches – Allezkev

I think that we ll keep Iliev, Martinez, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, AMN and Iwobi.

Would Bielik count or make it to the list of homegrowns? If so, we have our 8 for the year.

15. RC78 says:

If we get Brahimi for a free and can get Carrasco for 25 Mln, shall we go for Zaha?

16. Els says:

Great post peaches.

It’s hard work supporting an obviously skint financially declining club in the transfer window.

I was slow on the Swiss Ramble thread yesterday. I had the pleasure of a lovely little read yesterday evening.

It seems that project youth, whilst I like the idea of it and the potential of creating some players that will fight for a club they feel is their own, it is a neccessity rather than a new MO though.

Someone got rather pissed in the comments yesterday with all the talk of who needs to be sold. I imagine that I’m the same as everyone when I say the likes of Koscielny, Monreal and even Elneny for me, will all be seriously missed. Koscielny is up there with my favourite players of all time. However if he does want to leave we need his wage off the books.

We need a lot of wages removing and then create a solid core of academy graduates on sensible wages. Creating this for me should be our main goal. It’s a window of transition and we may as well be ruthless. Personally I’d get rid of a lot of players but mainly only for financial reasons.

I’ve never really took any enjoyment from disliking any of our players. Right now though after seeing the financial mess we are in. The thought of Ozil milking us and sauntering off the pitch when substituted is boiling my urine. I doubt we can find a buyer though.

I’d immediately look to sell…
    Monreal
    Elneny
    Koscielny
    Jenkinson
    Ospina
    Mustafi
    Mkhi
    Ozil
    Asano

Also take decent bids on…
    Xhaka
    Kolasinac
    Aubamayang

We could then easily find game time for…
    Chambers
    Beilik
    Nelson
    Willock

Cup games could include…
    Smith-Rowe
    Medley
    Sheaf
    Nwakali
    John-Jules
    Amaechi

On top of that we simply need to get a few free players. Cahill and Brahimi would be a good start.

I wonder what the squad list and wage bill would look like if we did all that?

I’m bracing myself for another big name leaving us (Laca?). How quickly things change eh? But in a way that’s good. We could make a massive difference by selling a big player and actually getting a good fee for a change. Also in developing a few players and making sure we sell them at the right time, we could find ourselves back in contention.

Lastly (sorry for the long post), I’m closing my ears anytime anyone rips into Emery. For me he’s done okay. Remember, the fan base agreed he’d need time.

17. Sue says:

I agree, Peaches… Palace will reluctantly let him go, but for as much as they can get!! Let’s face it – he’s not worth anywhere near what they’re valuing him… I just hope we get him ☺️

LB.. I agree with you, I think anyone is an upgrade on Iwobi.. I think he has run out of chances.. I’m not sure I can handle another season of no end product, running down blind alleys.. blazing the ball into row z… urgh…. meh…. sorry if I’ve upset any Iwobi fans on here 😁

18. Sue says:

Rasp.. totally agree, Ivan the snake has screwed us big time! It’ll take years to put right his mess!!
    I’m gobsmacked he’s employed now!! We’ll sit and watch as he does exactly the same thing to Milan! Slimy sleazeball

19. JM says:

HG in the 1st team reads: Bellerín, Maitland-Niles, Holding, Iwobi, Chambers, Jenkinson & Emiliano.

That is 7 from the above. I believe Bielik (now age 21) should count as a HG too since he arrived at our club in Jan 2015 (age 17) and stayed with English clubs (us, Birmingham, Walsall, Chalton) for at least 3 years.
    He could be that 8th HG player in our 1st team as of current. So too could Ben Sheaf if he makes the grade.

Nketiah would make the list in season 2020-2021.

I am more of wanting Tierney than Zaha to join our club at this moment.

20. Els says:

Brain dump of a squad list. Players may cover more than one position.

GK: Leno, Martinez

DL: Signing (Tierney?), Kola

DR: Bellerin, AMN

CB: Sokratis, Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos, Signing (Cahill?)

DM: Beilik, Torreira, AMN

MC: Geundouzi, Xhaka, Willock, Signing (Brahimi?)

AM: Ozil, Smith-Rowe, Iwobi

LW: Signing, Iwobi, Sako

RW: Auba, Martinelli, Nelson

FWD: Laca, Nketiah, Auba

For me that’s a squad that can improve on last season. I’m sure with the players left out, sold at our usual terrible rate, we could still make a couple of signing: LB, CB, MC, Winger. Especially if we get a couple of free players.

With the signings, we need an established player with some steel. (Cahill, Tierney). Also some players with resale value (Martinelli).

Thoughts?

Hi Sue, Yes, I think Gazidis like so many of the staff (playing and otherwise) was far too comfortable working for a regime that didn’t place high demands on them in terms of achievement … beyond CL qualification every year … and look what happened when that ceased!

I have a nasty feeling that historians may look back at this period in our history and deem it a bit of a disaster. Let’s hope we’ve reached the bottom and the rebuilding ha already started.

22. allezkev says:

I think that Bielik counts as home grown as JM states but I’m not sure if he’s 21 yet?
    He’s been with us so long that he probably seems older than he is…

23. allezkev says:

Yep JM, Bielik is 21, so he has to go into the squad of 25…

24. VP says:

thank you for obstreperous, very nice

25. Els says:

More reason to keep Bielik then. To me he should be very much in contention for a central midfield place.
    Xhaka, Torreira, Bielik, Maitland Niles, Geundouzi isn’t bad at all in my opinion.

VP … que? I looked for the word and it hasn’t been used …. are you referring to today’s debate?

jjgsol was unhappy with the thrust of yesterday’s debate and decided to announce his departure … great shame IMO. All we are currently doing is to reflect the concerns and musings going on between gooners worldwide … hope you’re ok with that

27. Els says:

Rasp, yeah that’s a shame for someone to leave like that. However things with the club are a little shaky to say the least. It’s understandable people are upset.

I can not wait for some balls to be kicked.

28. RC78 says:

Kos asking to be released of his last year to join a French outfit. Bordeaux and Lyon are very interested while Marseille and Monaco remain in the hunt. I d say we ask for a nominal fee for him if he wants Bordeaux but for the rest of the clubs, we can ask for a decent amount

29. Sue says:

I’m imagining that picture of Wilf – in the red & white of the mighty Arsenal, celebrating having just scored against the spuds!! Doesn’t get much better than that!!!

30. fred1266 says:

Is zaha an upgrade though and if we not going to give him a chance why keep him

31. fred1266 says:

Who says zaha want to play for arsenal he only saying that cause no other of the other clubs want him

Owe he wants to test himself in CL bitch we not in CL

32. fred1266 says:

Of course not RC78 we to much LM , you think we even interested in carrasco still

33. fred1266 says:

Els you saying sell the likes of elneny etc but who actually want them

34. RC78 says:

Els –
    GK: Leno, Martinez, Iliev
    RB: Bello, Recruit (Meunier?)
    CB: Recruit, Holding, Sokratis, Mavropanos
    LB: Kola, Recruit (Tierney? Gaya?)
    DM: Recruit, Chambers, Bielik
    CM: Recruit, Torreira, Guendouzi, AMN, Willock
    AM: Recruit, Mkhy
    FW/W: Auba, Iwobi, RN, Recruit
    ST: Laca, Recruit, Nketiah

Recruits to be announced..
    Leno – Bello, Recruit, Holding, Kola – Torreira, Recruit, Recruit – Recruit, Auba – Laca

Martinez – Recruit, Sok, Mavro, Recruit – Chambers, Guendouzi – RN, Willock, Iwobi – Recruit

35. fred1266 says:

Sue in zaha you getting the running down the blind alley with no end product

36. fred1266 says:

Els so you prefer we get Cahill but sell koscielny

37. Sue says:

Fred.. he scored 10/assisted 10 last season.. he’s fast, strong, a bit of a beast & he doesn’t take any crap – just the type of player we could do with!!

Martinelli signed for us this afternoon … we got that prediction right ….

39. Sue says:

Martinelli’s a gooner then – we have a Brazilian 😜

We do …. smooth 🙂

41. Els says:

Hey Fred

I would never in a million years choose Cahill over Koscielny. No.

I’m saying these things believing that the talk about him wanting to leave is true. He very nearly left last season but wouldn’t have been able to find a club injured.

If he leaves I think Cahill is a great option. He would be good to have around the likes of Holding and Chambers (not sure if he’s a midfielder permanently now though).

That is all.

Also regarding selling players, good point. That’s going to be a problem but if all of those chiefs can’t get some players moved on to free up money then they need to free up money by sacking themselves.

Martinelli is done. Exciting and a player with potential resale value. We need that in spades. Plus some steel in the squad.

42. I really hope you’re all looking forward to tonight’s game against the USA. I’m sure Wilf is. Could be an exceptional match.

43. fred1266 says:

Arsenal have confirmed the signing of teenage Brazilian forward Gabriel Martinelli from Ituano.

The 18-year-old has joined on a long-term deal and is the Gunners’ first signing of the close season.

Martinelli was named in the 2019 Team of the Year for the Campeonato Paulista and was rewarded with a chance to join Brazil’s senior team for a training camp in May.

He will link up with his new team-mates for pre-season training at Arsenal once the deal, reported to be worth £6million, has been ratified.

Embedded video

Arsenal FC

@Arsenal
    👋 Welcome to Arsenal, Gabriel Martinelli 🇧🇷

29.6K
    9:15 AM – Jul 2, 2019
    11.5K people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Speaking to Arsenal’s official website, Martinelli said: “It is a dream since I was a child and also my family’s dream for me to be playing in Europe and playing for a big team like Arsenal. I am going to take this opportunity.

“I am very grateful for everything. I am grateful to God and I will try to make the most out of it.

“Training with Brazil was an amazing feeling, a dream come true, being able to be beside great players. I was home when I got the news and I was super happy.

“It is a great opportunity to learn and I enjoyed it as much as I could and I have to thank the team for welcoming me with open arms.”

He added: “I am a player who gives his all at all times, I play as a team and always look to win games and win trophies.

“I model my game on Cristiano Ronaldo – he is a player who works hard, pushing himself to the next level.”

Martinelli made his debut for Ituano in November 2017 and scored 10 goals in 34 appearances for the Sao Paulo-based club.

44. A huge game, really looking forward to it SR.

I had a meeting earlier today with a young man who plays for USMNT (he’s actually English but his dad is American) and he said that the USA Women are sooooo mean but that the English women play great football ——— he actually couldn’t decide who he was supporting.

45. fred1266 says:

Or he can just choke like I think he would,

Sue wanna place a bet if He scores against any of the top 4 drinks are on the loser

There is a pic of Gabriel in the side bar if anyone wants to now what he looks like ….

47. fred1266 says:

Wellington Silva 2.0

48. fred1266 says:

I understand stand Els I just that if koscielny leave then we should get a CB for the future/holding partner

I know a lot of you are not sold on chamber bit hope he and mav get a run this season

I see

49. fred1266 says:

Who is the USA playing, I hope they get stopped

50. Els says:

Fred

Young centre backs we have a few of. Holding, Chambers, Mavropanos, Bielik maybe even Medley are all possibles for first team next season. If they aren’t making the grade then perhaps we need another. In my opinion though (means nothing), we are losing a lot of experience. We’ve needed some steel in defence. Losing Koscielny won’t help that.

I would say that a decent centre back should be high priority, I doubt we can attract what we need at the moment though.

51. Fred – the USA Women are playing the England Women in the semi-final of the WWC

I have watched the most of the WWC, I find it so refreshing.

53. Sue says:

If he scores against any of the top 4, Fred? Oh you know he’ll score against ALL of them 🤣😉
    Bottoms up 🍻

54. Sue says:

Hector’s bun has gone… forever 😳😂

55. fred1266 says:

Ok hope England beat them, how many players does arsenal have on the team

56. Sue says:

I know of 2 – Beth Mead & Leah Williamson.. should be a great game – I reckon who wins tonight will go onto be the champions!
    I hope Phil Neville’s hair has grown a considerable amount 😂

Come on the Lionesses!!!!

Great fight back by our girls … the septics are nervy every time we come forward now …

59. Sue says:

3 really good goals… that was a helluva header (the yankee’s first!) Going to be an exciting/tense 2nd half

Agreed, the USA have been dominant. They are super fit, I’m worried our girls may flag after 70 mins, but they’ve done themselves proud so far …

61. Aaron says:

That was an entertaining 1st half.

All those finishes were world class! And an almost musTafi like own goal by the USWMNT…

Fair scoreline, very little fouling, and excellent passing.

Van mujeres de Estados Unidos!

62. VP says:

good morning Rasp. Not the current post but it stuck with me, someone commented ‘obstreperous’ to describe a player or something and it stuck with me as I do like new words like that.
    I went back to try and find it but couldnt but came across Allezkev comment… News Now a CORNUCOPIA of bull droppings. Thats quite good as well.

As for JJgsol and others making their final comment statements, I find very confusing. Each post has everyone commenting and lots of nay’s and yay’s but then someone cracks the shits and departs. I find that the comments are so polite compared to many other sites with no ill intent and yet it happens. I can only compare it to a Thomas Hardy quote – “Darkness and silence ruled everywhere around. Above them rose the primeval yews and oaks of The Chase, in which there poised gentle roosting birds in their last nap; and about them stole the hopping rabbits and hares.”
    …and this describes the rape of Tess. It was the first time I ever read something that utterly confused me. One minute sleeping, next has a baby and if you analyse if very closely, its a rape. Probably not the bext way to describe things but its the first thing that comes to mind and no disrespect intended.

6am over here so hopefully that excuses me. Back to Football:-)

63. VP says:

Rasp, probably best to delete my previous comment.

Hi VP … well that was an unexpected and refreshingly original response …. good on ya … as I believe they say down under 🙂

Tensions are running high because of all the uncertainty surrounding transfers and our lack of financial clout … and that seeps into the blogosphere.

We would genuinely welcome back those who have chosen to ‘resign’.

Tomorrow’s post is going to be interesting because it very eloquently argues the view shared by some who have chosen to quit … I shall be wearing my hard hat 🙂

65. Aaron says:

vaR again…

No need to delete VP … it was amusing. BTW … your name now appears in our updated list of authors.

67. Aaron says:

See the thing is, vaR is not using goal line technology, and will get it wrong at least 50% of the time.
    40 meters away and crappy camera angle, no way is this better.

How may I ask is that an improvement to the flow of the game? Not the game itself.

68. Sue says:

Poor penalty..

Rubbish … I hate it when players take a short run up

70. Sue says:

I thought she was going to score, Rasp! And now that blonde chav has seen red, it’s all over! Bit of a crappy way to go out… but in all fairness, they have had a great tournament! 👏

I agree, they can be proud. In the end I think the American’s fitness and strength was the difference.

72. Sue says:

We just won’t tell RA they were the better team 🤣
    Brazil v Argentina at 1.30am!! Come on Kun (Sergio!) Be nice if Messi turns up.. 😃

73. VP says:

thanks Rasp

Shame about the Matildas, hopefully US lose the final in the 90th minute thats all we can hope for.

74. RC78 says:

Did England miss more PKs than any other countries in a Women s World Cup? I feel like the US scraped through vs France and now England. So annoying.

A Top CB for Arsenal is a priority along with a top DM. If we get these 2 and no one else, it s OK for me

75. fred1266 says:

Were u from again VP

76. fred1266 says:

Sue u supporting argentina , I think they so lucky to still be in the tournament I seriously cannot take another argentina Chile finals

77. RC78 says:

Lyon offers Arsenal the chance to sign Fekir for 30 Mln pounds. Take Brahimi for free

78. Sue says:

I sure am, Fred! Sergio can’t do it all… Lionel where are you, please stand up 🤣🤣
    Well I ain’t that keen on Firmino & those pearly whites 🙈😎😁 so I’m hoping Argies v Peru 🤞
    Now I’ve said that, we all know it’s going to be Brazil v Chile!!!

79. RC78 says:

I d like Peru to win the whole thing

80. fred1266 says:

Yea Peru winning would be nice but think they rode their luck against Uruguay

81. fred1266 says:

Ayoze Perez just went for 30 mil not way we getting Zaha for 40 hope we don’t pursue that tranfer

82. fred1266 says:

Sue seems Alison still has Messi in his pocket

83. Sue says:

Oh goddammit, Fred! Bloody Firmino scored (all the Argie’s are blind now 😂) what on earth happens to Messi every time he dons that blue & white shirt… it’s like he turns into Sanogoal!! Can’t score for shizz!!! Well at least you’re happy, now for Peru to knock out piano man 🙏

Morning all ….