Are you taking the Mkhi? …..

When Mkhitaryan joined Manchester United from Borrusia Dortmund in 2016 he was scoring more than a goal every four games and was considered to be one of the best mifdfielders in Europe. Mourinho then did what he does best, destroyed his confidence and reduced him to an outcast benchwarmer.

On 22 January 2018, he joined Arsenal as part of the swap for Alexis Sanchez, and although he hasn’t been a massive success, we definitely got the better side of that particular deal. I guess it’s fair to say that Mkhitaryan is now firmly in the marmite category for many Arsenal supporters.

This is AA regular RC78’s assessment ….

Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Mikhy) played 39 games for us last season, starting 28 of which 19 were in the Premier League. He scored 6 goals and provided 7 assists in 2522 mins, so he has been directly influential every 194 mins (every 2 games more or less). He has missed 10 games due to injury.

Mikhy is one of our most clever players – he is very good at providing the pass before the assist because he has a good eye, he can create imbalance in the opposition through his passing. On the other hand, he is rather slow and has suffered recurring injuries. He is now 30. Some people have also pointed out that he is not the best  when it comes to regaining the ball or pressing the opposition. He averages one tackles per game and has an average of 0.6 interceptions per game. He has also executed 1.2 key passes per game in the EPL and 1.6 in the EL.

So are you happy with his contribution to our team or would you rather see him leave the club this summer?

My opinion is that although he is one of our highest earners, I would rather keep him and sell Ozil (due to value, fan drift) however I accept that Ozil is probably a superior passer and dribbler.

RC78

We need to sell existing players who are peripheral to the team if we want to increase our spending power to bring in new players. For many, Mhkitaryan is on that list … what do you think?

84 Responses to Are you taking the Mkhi? …..

1. Joel says:

We will never be able to “sell” Ozil unless we allow him to leave on a “Free Transfer” and even then..that’s doubtful.Personally I see Mkhitaryan as a complete “bottle job”.Time and time again I see him pull away from any physical challenge.The whole Euro League Final debacle was ridiculous and I just don’t see him as someone who really improves the team..when his credentials state that he should.Like Ozil and Xaka before him he’s undoubtedly talented but that talent isn’t suited to the week-in /work-out physicality,pace and rigours of the Premier League.Like so many Arsenal players in the current squad he should never have been brought to the Club in the first place and his ridiculous salary means that no other team will actually put their hands in their pockets and offer to buy him.We’ve got another few years to wait before we can cleanse the squad properly and by then we should ,at least have a coach who knows what he’s doing and is able to communicate this to his team !!

Hi Joel, I think that is a very good point about the demands of the Premeir league. I agree that some players just don’t have the stomach for it. That is why I’m keen on Kieran Tierney, coming from Scottish football to the EPL won’t be a culture shock. Sadly I think he’s unlikely to come now as the transfer has been hijacked by the likes of Chris Sutton who are turning it into a typical ‘England is disrespecting Scotland’ issue and forcing the price up 🙄

3. RC78 says:

Hi Joel.. Very strong views on Mkhy… I think he has been OK for us but definitely not as good as we expected. I think that if he stays fit, he s gonna do well this year. He s one of our smartest players. I d keep him any day over Xhaka and I dare say Ozil for the reasons mentioned in the post.

4. RC78 says:

When it comes to the physical demands of the EPl, I do agree but recruiting within the EPl or Scottish league does not guarantee physical players and we certainly haven’t been able to produce strong and physical players either…

5. RC78 says:

Meanwhile Arsenal former player (cough cough) Denis Suarez joins Celta Vigo for 15 Mln Eur

Good Post, RC, and you do pinpoint my own views that Mihki has talent, but does not seem to have the physicality for playing in the EPL, but things can change with increasing confidence – who knows.

I do not think it comes down to a choice of selling him or Ôzil, because Arsenal allegedly have been unable to sell either Mesut, or Mikhi, primarily because of their salaries.

I would still want to keep Mesut in the hope that he will return to his optimum level, and hope his increasing age will also bring with it the wisdom to help other team players.

I am not sure about Mihki, and have therefore voted accordingly.

Rasper,

Sutton is a typical loud-mouthed numbskull, and hopefully others will realise that and ignore the pillock.

Maybe it is me — but the idea that a nobody ENGLISH guy who thinks he needs to defend Scottish interests concerning a player born on the Isle of Man, which is a self-governing British Crown dependency and therefore neither Scottish nor English makes me sad for his abysmal confusion and ignorance.

I agree redders … he’s a massive knob (who no doubt lacks one!) … and he hates Arsenal because in his playing days it was a game for ‘men’ and the sort of aggressive play that was designed to kick skillful players out of the game was heralded.

9. fred1266 says:

Iwobi stats – 1976 mins 3 goals and 6 assist

Zaha stats – 3041 min 10 goal and 5 assist

zaha is 26 and iwobi 23 sill not really much better especially for the amount of minutes zaha got

10. Sue says:

RC.. love the cough cough! 🤣 How many
    minutes did he play for us??

Yes Mkhi needs to be moved on… loved him when he was at Dortmund.. was buzzing when we got him (after getting over my deep depression of Sanchez leaving us) but he hasn’t lived up to my expectation unfortunately!
    So sell him…..

Thanks RC and Rasp, I think re-balancing the midfield through attack is as important as defensive recruits going into next season. We have been top heavy with CM’s for a few seasons and also ones that don’t seem to fully compliment each other.

I voted undecided for this but I think we only need to retain 1 out of Ozil and Micki. I just don’t think that we can offload Ozil on his wages so likely it will be Micki to go.

Ozil is still a great player that neither Wenger nor Emery has managed to get the best out of to date. There is still a chance, with a formation change, that we could see the best of Ozil over the next couple of seasons.

I would certainly love to see more of Smith-Rowe and Willock though and, as I have stated a few times, I think Iwobi should be moved more into the heart of midfield as one of our options rather than played as a winger.

We can probably then also afford to lose Xhaka and Elneny, but we still need that powerhouse holding midfielder, that new invisible wall. If we can get or promote that HM player then I would also like to see Torreira given a bit more freedom in the midfield. Can Bielik or Chambers become our new Gilberto?

Without even buying anyone and losing Elneny, Xhaka and Micki we could still boast midfield options as Bielik, Chambers, Torreira, Willock, Iwobi, Smith-Rowe, Ozil. Not too bad but I always felt that if we were losing Xhaka, Elneny, Micki as well as Ramsey then Milner on a free would be a welcome bit of EPL experience and grit to the midfield.

Hi GB, I agree with your analysis of the Ozil v Mhki balance. It looks like we have sourced the left footed wide player we can afford (he’s on a free 🙂 ) the Yacine Brahimi deal looks highly likely.

Fred,

You said; “Zaha is 26 and iwobi 23 sill not really much better especially for the amount of minutes zaha got”.

I say we should buy Iwobi in that case.

14. allezkev says:

I think we have to shelve any thoughts of Mesut Ozil leaving before his contract expires, he’s had chances to leave so I understand, mainly to Serie A, but he likes his life in London.
    Mkhitarayan is in the same boat, he doesn’t want to leave and why should he?
    In the end it’s our clubs mismanagement over the previous 4/5 years that have led to where we are now, a series of blunders over contracts, sales, salaries and signings.
    The people we’ve had running the club, Kroenke, Gazides and Wenger have done a pretty average to poor job.

15. RC78 says:

It s interesting to see that most bloggers are keen to offload Mkhy…I think his input per minute last year was better than Iwobi and Ozil.

Brahimi would be a decent addition if we got rid of Ozil or Mkhy. Neres would be even better though but comes at a higher price.

I think Iwobi is best on the wing unlike AMN that should play as Center Midfield on the right side.

Torreira should also play as CM and needs a proper HM/DM. He is not the Gueye or Ndidi type of player we have been craving for.

16. RC78 says:

GB – indeed we can afford to lose Xhaka, El Neny, Mesut or Mikhy and still not be short on midfield options

We have Chambers, Bielik as DM (for Xhaka and El Neny) and we have Willock and ESR for Mkhy and Ozil so technically we can offload all of them. Knowing that we have Torreira, Guendouzi and AMN as CM, our midfield has enough players of decent quality.

But we want to improve and that s why my priority would be a strong HM/DM and CM this summer in midfield.

17. RC78 says:

Matuidi is available for 15 to 20 Mln. He s a bit old but if we can snatch him, we should. The guy covers so much ground in midfield. He d be a great asset.

18. VP says:

wiki –
    Takuma Asano (24yrs) is a Japanese professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Arsenal, and for the Japan national team.

On 3 July 2016, Asano was announced as Arsenal’s second signing of the season, subject to a medical and international clearance. Manager Arsene Wenger described him as “a talented young striker and very much one for the future”. However, Asano was refused a work permit to play in the Premier League.

Loaned out to VIB Stuttgart 16/17, 17/18 and to Hanover96 18/19,
    In the Bundesliga he has 5 goals in 54 appearances.

Where to now Takuma in 19/20? I belive he is up for sale and Hannover stopped playing him to avoid a trigger to a permanent position. Bit of a flop.

19. RC78 says:

Asano is a disappointment indeed
    Am also keen to know what we will do with Zelalem…

20. fred1266 says:

No just saying zaha isn’t worth it, RA if u don’t know I find iwobi is trash, I also equally feel zaha is also trash

So if we going to get zaha just sell iwobi

Also zaha stats were at striker position last year

21. RC78 says:

Zaha is too expensive

22. Jim Lloyd says:

It would be great if we could sell them both, but who in their right mind would ever buy Ozil knowing his wage demands? No one.

23. LBG says:

Joel sums up my views almost perfectly. Mickhy plainly has talent but unsuited to cut and thrust for 90mins.
    Fred – would Zaha be presented with more opportunities (dare I say from Mesut, for instance) to get round or inside the fullbacks at the mighty Arsenal. And do we have a better strike force to make use of potential assists. I think so. Surprised that so many are worried at extortionate potential price of Zaha, yet most are not convinced it seems.i believe he will be allowed to go for much less especially with a player added to the deal. What about Xhaka, Elneny, Mickhi, Jenkinson, ( even they wouldn’t want Mustafi!) or one of our Academy that we DONT see a future for. Ways and means.

24. RC78 says:

So let us say that Zaha joins us… You play a front three of Zaha, Auba – Laca.

Who do you play behind them?
    If we can get him for lest us say 30 mln plus Jenkinson and El Neny, am OK with it.

25. RC78 says:

I think Emery is gonna want to play 4321, the one being Laca and one of the 2s being Auba. They can interchange anyway.

Who is the other attacking player?
    What about the midfield 3?
    Where would Ozil or Mkhy fit?

26. Els says:

I agree that I’d rather sell Ozil, but think it would be too difficult to move him on. If we can get a buyer for Mhiki then we need to reinvest that money in creating a team with fast aggressive wingers. Mhinki isn’t that type of player.

Regarding Ozil I do think that if we get some good wide players and play one striker, putting Ozil back into the 10 position may work well for us. Ozil supplying balls for two wide players and a striker may be what he’s needed for a while. As long as we get the 6 players behind him gelling well then we could find a better balance for the goals for and against.

I didn’t read any comments over the weekend but would like to state that we should be going after Cahill. He’s exactly what we need. Especially if that Saliba chap is an option and we are genuinely going to loan him back.

Add in Tierney, Martinellini, a box to box midfielder (would Nkunku do?), and a winger we would be a lot closer to a balanced team, In my opinion.

This is also alongside a good few promotions from the academy. I’d love us to use, Willock, Reiss Nelson, Bielik, Chambers, Sako and possibly one from Amaechi or Smith-Rowe.

27. Els says:

RC78 I see that formation happening.

Laca as first choice striker Backup Martenilini (I think that’s happened)

Wide players from Nelson, Sako, Iwobi, Auba plus a signing I’d guess (Brahimi?)

3 mids would be Ozil as the ten. It might even work. Willock, Smith-Rowe could offer cover

With players behind being, Torreira, Xhaka, Beilik, Chambers plus another signing.

28. LBG says:

Else
    Must be having a deja vu day your suggestion of players and formation was mine at least two post ago in comments!!
    For me it would be front three of Nelson, Laca ( and or Aubang if not sold) Zaha
    Mesut or Willock or AN-N or Smith-Rowe behind them.
    Terrier, and another holding CM with size and forward thrust plus passing ability ( or Ouzi or if we must Xhaka)
    Back four – Tierney Holding, my preference, Saliba ( or Sokratis, Mavrapanos) and Bellerin.
    Voila!

29. RC78 says:

Brahimi keen to join apparently.. He is free

30. RC78 says:

Emery works well with 4321 but he needs versatile players so I think that with 3 new signings, we could have

Leno – Bello, Sok, Holding, Tierney – AMN, Recruit, Terrier – Laca, Brahimi – Auba

31. Els says:

LBG, great minds. That’s almost exact. I also realised I left out AMN.

Something I’ve been thinking about regarding the financial side of things. The £45m budget was quoted a good while ago, I believe. I’m not sure when but I think the season hadn’t ended. They also said something along the lines of “we NOW have in the region of”. With that in mind is it not possible that that figure has inflated due to the fact Cech, Wellbeck, Ramsey have all been released and therefore their wages are cleared? After all we are always told that wages are included in budgets. It should work both ways.

32. fred1266 says:

33. fred1266 says:

Didn’t realise this would have hurt so much s😂

34. Sue says:

Oh Fred that picture – 🥺 doesn’t seem right, seeing him in that kit

35. Aaron says:

Sell him, Elneny, Jenko, Mustafi, Sead, and give away Ozil…
    Let the youth fight for those places, including Ramsey’s and Wellbeck’s places.

Not going to happen, here is a mind numbing read on our finances via a member over on 7am..

“LARI03 SAYS:

Swiss Ramble on twitter exposing the financial straits Arsenal are in.”

So, average coach and no money means?
    Yep, goals conceded leading too?
    Correct, no CL or top 4…..

36. RC78 says:

I think that Mkhy can play as CM whereas Ozil can’t. I think that he is more valuable to our squad than Ozil. He can play 8 or 10.

37. RC78 says:

I d like us to go after players like Gueye, Doucoure, Ndidi that could really help us in solidifying our mid

38. Sue says:

Anyone bought the new shirt yet?

39. LBG says:

Els ( sorry predictive text keeps making you Else!)
    I’m sure with a little more imaginative juggling we can find more than 45m. Wages removed from outgoings, plus, perhaps one or two money + bogoff deals, plus sell Mustafi and Xhaka ( In case anyone in any doubt, I am almost as keen for that to happen as RC is to have Gueye, Doucore or Douglas Costa).

40. RC78 says:

We all want Jenko, Mustafi, El Neny and Xhaka out. The only controversial ones are Kos, Nacho, Ozil and Mikhy I think

41. LBG says:

Fred
    Aaron is gone, not forgotten, thanked for his FA Cup goals and second half of last season, and beginning a new chapter( on more money than he’s worth, or that we could afford( Always be welcome back, unlike some!

42. LBG says:

RC
    Agree!

43. RC78 says:

Juve have landed Ramsey, Rabiot on a free… Talent attraction

44. fred1266 says:

I keep seeing people saying buy zaha and all these other new recruits but yes still want us to play our academy players, how exactly will that be happening

Unless u only want the academy players playing in league cup

45. fred1266 says:

Everyone seems ti be keen to join arsenal apparently

46. LBG says:

Fred
    Not from me! Maximum three. TIERNEY, ZAHA and decent holding CM to replace Xhaka. Dont think we will get Saliba, or if we do will be loaned back.

47. fred1266 says:

No it doesn’t

48. fred1266 says:

We waiting for you to purchase first Sue

49. fred1266 says:

Me personally I think the squad is to damn big and a set of players not earning their wages I agree with the LB but it the zaha transfer since don’t think he is better than what we currently have

50. allezkev says:

Sky Sports seem to be reporting that Arsenal have bid £40m for Zaha….

51. Sue says:

Omg AK….I’m excited now!!!

52. allezkev says:

It’s probably an opening bid Sue, we’ll probably go up to £45m…

Did you hear that Ian Wright could be going into Celebrity Jungle?
    I might watch that one… 🙂

53. Sue says:

Yep 45 maximum!! 😄 I’m amazed we’re even bidding that!!
    Omg that’ll be brilliant viewing – he’s such a loveable, funny guy! Imagine him eating a penis 🤣🤣🤣🤣

54. allezkev says:

Ha ha ha, yeah, I can barely imagine it Sue… 🙂

55. Aaron says:

RC78,
    Kos and Nacho should be sold too!!

Just overhaul the damn team, bring up some youth.

But the huge point for me is to clean up the defense. Not really rocket science, play a back 3,4,5…. or whatever for some games to develop as a team. Not the constant rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Can’t be worse to watch than the $h*t$how the fans have been getting for a while.

56. fred1266 says:

Am a firm believer of loyalty and just as we want players to loyal to the club we should be loyal them so have some God damn respect for nacho and Kos

They have serve this club well

57. fred1266 says:

58. Aaron says:

Fred,

I did not say let them leave for free and have the door hit them on the a$$ on the way out.

Kos wants to play back home in France, most people know this, so sell him to a team where he wants to go. Same with Nacho, let him be sold to a team in Spain, Italy or France, wherever he wants to go as long as we get some compensation for them.

They both are model pro’s and that is why I said sell them to teams where this wish to be, otherwise take a seat on the bench and let them be role models to the up and comers..

I have respect for them as do many others here.

59. I think we could buy Zaha for £45 million plus the likes of one of our lower earners (but half decent players) as Jenks or Elneny etc. but the only reason I see for having him would be that we wouldn’t have to face him again and the increase in our penalty count.

60. Sue says:

Ooh Wilf scored for Ivory Coast 👍

61. fred1266 says:

Ok didn’t know kos wants to go back to France

62. RC78 says:

Lyon, Marseille and Monaco want Kos
    Nacho should be sold too, I agree.
    Zaha is not worth the money

63. RC78 says:

Kos will choose Lyon maybe

Great debate today everyone. RC78, your post attracted more than 1,000 readers … congratulations.

I’ve updated the Authors on AA widget (a widget is anything that appears in the side bar to the right). Please let me know if you’ve written for the site and I’ve left you out.

Sue … I’d love to put your name in that list … all you need to do is scribble a few words down on a football related topic that takes your fancy (Kolasinac’s thighs for instance) and email it to us …arsenalnuts@live.co.uk … and hey presto, it will appear as a post soon after.

65. jjgsol says:

I agree. Let’s sell everybody, including Emery.

Then we can buy Zaha and all the other rubbish that no one else in their right mind would take and head straight down to the Championship.

Indeed, why wait until next season. Why not ask them now if we can join straight away.

I am off from this site.

When so many people stop talking nonsense,I might come back.

Good luck everyone.

66. Sue says:

Self Righteous.. I love your comment about Zaha – the increase in our penalty count!!! That really is top notch, Sir!! 👌 just not if Moss, Dean or Oliver are officiating (ha, but surely that’s where ooh ahh VAR comes in 😉)

jjgsol, that is really unnecessary. The whole point is to be able to discuss issues without getting upset or anyone resorting to insults. Your opinion is valid and valued. By arguing against those that want to sell, sell, sell, you add balance to the discussion … why would you want to leave? It makes no sense.

Write a post stating your view and it will receive as much promotion as today’s … apart from that, you seem like a nice guy and we like having you on here 🙂

68. Sue says:

Hey Rasp.. thank you! I’ll have a go at some point… & if you’re really desperate, you can put it up 😆👍

Hi Sue, it would be my pleasure. Sadly I can’t make it to Borehamwood on Saturday or I could have seen you there. Other AA’ers may be going, I’ll let you know.

70. RC78 says:

Thanks for all the comments and fun today
    Will send a post soon again

Rasp – thanks for the tweaks to the post
    Cheers all AND CYYG

71. fred1266 says:

If true why. If we can’t meet the club evaluation just don’t go after the player

72. fred1266 says:

Don’t know how true but what ever price zaha is sold for Manu get 25 %

73. fred1266 says:

Thing is
    Zaha eh all that but for the last two years he looks good against arsenal …. so we take the chain up .

He doh perform so against spurs or pool or man city etc

74. LBG says:

Raul using the same tactic he did to get Cesc back to Barcelona?
    Zaha to his “boyhood” Club.
    Only concern for me is Mahrez comparison, although apart from Reiss and Wobbly less competition with us than he had with Sane. And secondly, hate the idea of Manure getting anything!!

75. LBG says:

Happy Birthday Steve Morrow 49. Hows your arm?

76. Sue says:

Well it’s Tuesday (the worst day of the week!) Yet I have woken with a spring in my step – which has a lot to do with our 40m bid! Buzzing.. until….. I saw your ‘Zahahaha’ comment, Fred…. a 5 year payment plan??!! Oh sweet Jesus… that spring I had has gone & it’s back to being the usual crappy Tuesday 😂😂

77. Sue
    Ooh, ahh, Wilf Zaha. Meh. Doesn’t sound right does it!

78. Sue says:

😂👍 I’d quite happily sing along to that SR!!!

79. […] Self Righteous says: July 1, 2019 at 7:10 pm   (Edit) […]

We have a New Post ………………

81. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks,
    However I am experiencing difficulties with your RSS.
    I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it.
    Is there anybody else getting identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!