The new Arsenal manager…let’s try and be rational

You, me, him, her, and probably everyone who reads this knows that Arsenal are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. We’re right, they are wrong and facts are facts.

However, let’s consider some other poor souls for a few short moments, and by poor souls, I’m referring to the Allegris, Tuchels and the Zidanes of this world.  By my calculations there are six sides who you would back to lift the Champions League trophy in any one season, although I appreciate other runners and riders can emerge to upset the betting, and this season it is Liverpool who have emerged as a surprise contender. The souls to whom I just referred will always look to manage an elite club with a realistic chance (and budget) of lifting ‘Ol Big Ears.

Arsenal are not one of those sides. So. What are we, who should we be, and why is Emery a very good fit for us now?

Before the start of last season, I suggested that Arsenal were a Cup side. My comment referred as much to what I thought was an element of the glory seeking, big time Charlie attitude of one or two of our superstars. In other words they didn’t have the appetite for a seasons’ long slog in the rain to sustain a League challenge, and anyhow, barring the freak event we are outside the main pretenders as defined by budget.

What are we? We are a top six English side, and yes, we are a good cup side. What should we be? We should be a club that strives to grow through better results/performance within the boundaries of our budget. In other words, without oiling up, out target models are the likes of Bayern (and Juve?). This is a longer long term objective than the media driven immediacy demanded by today’s society permits, but the club just have to deal with that crap, as do we all.

The aim for the next 1-3 years is to establish ourselves as the best of the rest. This brings me back to two things I have mentioned, one was Liverpool and the other was cups.

When I spoke almost a year ago about our cup sidedness, I did mention also how I liked this. It’s a personal thing, but I way prefer knockout football to league football.

This, at last,  brings me to Emery. RC79 has very kindly enlightened us as to the detail of the man, his tactical philosophies and his footballing ethos. I especially liked his insight on Emery’s ability to get the most out of a second tier budget by developing youth and pushing the superstars.

I believe he is the right man to lead us through the next three years or so as we consolidate amongst our domestic top four, and, as he has done at both PSG and more impressively at Sevilla, become a Cup specialist.

Who knows what lies beyond that, but step one looks good to me.

Written by MickyDidIt89

87 Responses to The new Arsenal manager…let’s try and be rational

Changing the subject completely, can anyone enlighten me as to the truth or otherwise to the story a very unreliable source told me yesterday that the reason Abramovic wasn’t at the Cup Final was that with the current Russiagate nonsense, he had his visa renewal declined?

(enter Chas with a pic of him sitting at Wembley 🙂 )

This post is a day late you bloody idiot Didit

Should have been about Mesut Ozil

3. fatgingergooner says:

Far more excited about this appointment than if Arteta had come in. I think someone established is what we need after such a long time with Wenger and I’m hoping Emery shows his tactical brain and gets the players pressing the ball.

Could be fun!

thank you micky. The post is not exactly what I expected, but it was a good read nonetheless. I expected the UE’s biography, must have missed the RC78 comment.

hold on a second, will Emery need a visa after Brexit? Will he get one?

I agree about tailoring our ambitions to fit the budget. Cup team is fine, but we really have to drop some of the bragging rights, as we are no longer the best team the world has ever seen. There are at least 5 clubs in this country alone that are better. So stop that classy/best/leave on past achievements nonsence and embrace spursday footy and carabao cup. Can we? I don’t think I can. And I sincerely hope that Emery will move us back to where we were 15 years ago.

Cheers Micky. I was getting excited about the idea of the rookie manager Arteta. It felt a bit of a brave gamble that feltvery Arsenal like, and I had a sense of excitement in us taking that gamble. I hoped that maybe he would do a bit of a Pep and immediately show, despite having next to no managerial experience on his CV, that he had something a bit special about him as a 1st team coach.

When Emery appeared out of the blue I was caught a bit off guard and wasn’t sure. Having now learned more about him I am quite excited. No candidate was going to tick every box 100% in all areas, but I feel the club have made a very good decision based on the many factors, and Emery ticks most of the important boxes. He is starting to feel like the right fit for us.

I like your Bayern analysis Micky and feel this is the best model for us. We need to make Arsenal a more attractive club to players in a different way to others that will just fling money at it, and get back to having players preferring to join us even when bigger spenders are in for them.

To do that we have to re-establish ourselves as a club that is at least in the mix for the top silverware. We have progressively slipped away from that over the last few seasons, but I feel we should be a top 4 team that regularly challenges for the title and think we can achieve this.

Emery already has a great deal at his disposal with the current players in the attacking area, from the box to box midfielders through to the attacking midfielders and to the strikers. Add the potential options of AMN to the midfield, and Nelson and the forgotten Perez as potential winger / wing forwards and there may not be a need to add to these areas. If anything we are maybe top heavy.

Once you look behind these areas to the holding midfield and defence and keeper areas, this is where the question marks start to be raised. I am hoping Emery can make those small differences that Shard mentioned and mostly get more from what we already have, with the right 2-3 recruits arriving in the key defensive positions.

Morning all.

Thanks for your post Micky.

I’ve seen several claims that one of Emery’s skills is both “developing and getting the best out of the young players”

I question how this could be possible when his average stay was only 18 months per team. It’s only vaguely possible with Valencia where he had his longest stay of 48 months.

Deportiva 6 months
    Almeria 23 months
    Valencia 48 months
    Spartak 7 months
    Sevilla 23 months.

Eddie, I agree that right now there are 5 clubs that are better than us. Some of them have improved to varying degrees, while we have gone backwards. Personally I feel it is more because we have regressed in our standards than seeing major improvements in all 5 other teams. I still feel our squad quality meant we could have trumped all but 1 this year.

GN5, I think you could look at Guardiola as an example of players improving in a short space of time under a specific coach. Many Man City players have already moved up a level or 2 and he has only had 2 seasons with them. Sterling for example has appeared a more rounded and finished player from almost the start of this season under Guardiola, and he would have only had just over a year as his coach at that point.

I wouldn’t get overly concerned about the length of Emery’s tenures to date, and would more focus on what he managed to do within those tenures. I don’t think there has to be a direct correlation between his recent stints at clubs and what will happen with us. It could easily be that the right longer term opportunity had not presented itself to him, and these past ones were more managerial development pathways for him.

He may now feel he has arrived at the right place at the right time to develop a longer term project and relationship. We will only find out further down the line and second guessing it will only drive you mad GN5, so I say sit back and enjoy the ride 🙂

GB,

Improving the abilities of the first team squad is something I feel he can achieve, but my comment was related to the claim of his prowess in getting the best out of young players.

It’s simply not possible for me to sit back and enjoy a journey into the unknown.

10. Shard says:

Great article micky. Bayern Munich or Juventus? Yes in the future. For now, we’re at best Dortmund and Napoli/Ac Milan/Roma.

Not through anything we can do under the self financing model, but there it is. We should be doing better than Spurs and Liverpool and I think we will. It’s a bit cyclic. They’ve outspent us over the last decade, and only just got past us at the end by which time we started to spend again. We’ll get past them soon. But how to beat the two Manchester clubs? Our home form was good this year. If we can replicate that away, then we have a chance. But as you say, the cups could be a fun way of getting back on top too, particularly the EL, which Emery has won more than any guy apparently. So that’s assured. 🙂

11. Shard says:

GN5

It’s a new era of ‘coaches’ as opposed to ‘managers’ now. The aspect of continuity will be under Mislintat and Sanhelli’s purview.

The players progress under a coach through their coaching drills/exercises/inputs. The coach may not stay long enough for the guy from the youth team to graduate all the way to the first team, but he can contribute to their development while he’s there. Which can then be continued under the next guy. Which actually is what Emery will be doing with Wenger’s former charges. The players might even, theoretically, learn more from various different coaching styles than under one guy.

Each to their own GN5, we can’t all feel the same way about things. I probably have that slight attraction to unknown danger, a bit like the first time you go on a white knuckle theme park ride that you have never tried before. I am looking forward to how it unfolds complete with no absolute guarantees to our personal safety and to what will happen.

I was more pulling my hair out at our lack of changes in approach as the club was slowly regressing in recent sesons, and felt we stood back for too long and watched this unfold without attempting to stop the slide.

Something different is a breath of fresh air to me and fuels a new excitement in me, even if it is a journey into the unknown with pitfalls and dangers potentially on the horizon. For me we were more in danger staying on our current pathway than in taking this leap of faith into the unknown.

Speaking of hair, I wonder what Terry makes of our new mans Barnet?

Great work Micky. As a purists tactical analysis I see nothing to disagree with 🙂

Note to everyone:

He’s a good guy
    He’s classy
    He’s keen
    His CV is excellent
    He wants to be our manager
    He’s not planning to come in and undo all Arsene’s good work

…… so be patient and give him a chance, let’s not go looking for negatives.
    … and while you’re at it, give all the marmite players a clean sheet and let’s see how they perform under a new coaching team.

Shard/GB.

I’m a firm advocate of the quote.

You can have change without improvement.

but –

You cannot have improvement without change.

So as much as I admired AW it became obvious we needed change. I’m very happy that we did not hire an inexperienced manager like Arteta and chose somebody who is experienced and successful.

However I feel that a short term manager who may have an overriding passion and desire to achieve his personal goals and improve his resume can do long term damage to the club. I hope he will become a long term manager so that his footballing methodology can permeate through the organization.

In short even though I’m in my final years on this planet I have no wish to see the team I have supported through good and bad for 71 seasons vie for short term successes.

I would far prefer to see the club continue to grow and prosper and still be successful so that future generations of supporters can enjoy the club as I have.

I think we are all agreed on that GN5. I hope he will be a longer term solution, although I don’t feel it should be compared to Arsene’s tenure. It may be that “long term” in a managerial sense has to be redefined in the modern game, with today’s long term not being the same as yesterdays.

Arguably Arsene’s tenure was a bit too long anyway, and maybe we are already in an era where there is an optimal period for a manager at a top club, and either side of this is not ideal either falling into the too short or too long category.

Rasp, excellently well put about the “marmite” players and looking at them again after the new man has had more time with them.

Iwobi certainly falls into this category but I feel he is a great prospect in the more box to box heart of the midfield. He seems more suited to me playing slightly deeper with 3-4 players ahead of him (like he was in the Burnley game). When he is one of the front most attacking 3 (as he has more often been used by AW) he seems to lack something. Maybe Emery can reinvent him to some degree and bring out his full potential.

I am not sure I feel this way about Mustaffi though. Holding, Mavro and Chambers are all still of an age where they could still step up, and can be given that extra time leeway, but the club really need that in their prime experienced CD as part of the mix. At 26 Mustaffi should be hitting his peak and should be this but doesn’t feel like that senior commanding CD we need. At his age and with his international experience should he not already be showcasing he is that man?

That’s a fine summation GB.

I feel that we have been far too reliant on our attack and have not done enough to overcome our defensive frailties.

In the 2016/17 PL we conceded 51 (1.34pg) goals which is our worst display since 1983/84 when we gave up 60 (1.43pg) in 42 games.

It should not take a rocket scientist to figure out that we have to keep the back door closed!

18. Shard says:

What Rasp said!

19. fred1266 says:

do other clubs do this when they get a new manager?

Cheers, Micky, we have slid in the last two seasons and I’m hoping Emery can not only arrest the slide but pitch us right back in it.

I don’t think it will take much to close the gap on Man U and as they were second……..

Do what, Fred?
    Show the new manager the training ground?
    Or video it?

Some great comments. Well played.

Fred
    Thanks for the video. Holy smoke it’s an impressive set up. Never been shown around before.

23. fred1266 says:

Video it, i just find they going a bit over board

they never even do so much when we sign a new player

24. fred1266 says:

yea micky an impressive setup

25. Shard says:

Agree with Micky. Seen some pictures of Colney but never been shown around before. Very impressive. Although not impressed with the motto Everything Matters.

26. Shard says:

fred

It seems to me that Arsene Wenger was very protective about the stuff that goes on behind closed doors. Especially training. But there are some videos out there of other managers, including Emery at PSG, carrying out some training drills. We’ll probably get more snippets as the club’s media team gets more access from the new manag…head coach.

27. fred1266 says:

good point Shard

i am glad Emery just walked past the physio room 🙂

Thanks Micky, fine work.

If I understand what you are writing, you are saying that we have a second quality manager for a second quality club.

I tend to agree. We had the chance to sit at the top table and blew it. The invincibles were a phenomenal team and not enough investment was made to keep the quality at that level. Can we ever get back to that standard? I seriously doubt it.

Loved the view of the training centre. I would love to be a footballer at AFC. What an amazing job.

30. fred1266 says:

What you guys think about the shirt sponsers ?

Erik

When it comes to managers, I don’t know what I’m talking about, but from a little sniff here and a little sniff there, I reckon Emery is a good choice

Fred
    I think I heard the pink arm band is from the Rwanda tourist board, so I just hope they didn’t spend too much money on it 🙂

Damn, that reminds me, I need some more hammocks!

I used to have a couple of ex military jungle ones all made of para cord webbing. They were tiny weeny itsy bitsy small but superb for hanging from tree branches in the shade overhanging a cool river

When does lads ‘n dads kick off

Lads and Dads starts lunchtime tomorrow on the Lincolnshire coast.
    Journeys from Notts start earlier

Yikes, four days of poisoning

Weather for North Sea coast looks a bit bracing.
    Bet it’s better for the canoe trip.

Two and a half days of non-stop laughter and revelry.
    We all see what we want to see. 🙂

Lovely weather for a lads and lasses trip. Factor 50 essential

Mmmm, mixed bag weatherwise

A month of no rain has left little water in the river. We did a trial last sunday and lower part to sea was good. Talk at the moment of camp by sea for lobstering/swimming one night and just canoe for one day rather than both.

pool fans think they have already won

How can you tell Real fans from Scoucers?
    One lot is considerably fatter, more tattoos and shouting louder

I hope they are going to get thrashing of their lives

seems like all are having a wet weekend, internal and external use or abuse of liquids. Enjoy whatever you are doing!

Top of the morning to all.

I have always enjoyed your whimsical Posts, Micky, but today’s (well yesterday’s, as I am a bit slow in keeping up at t’moment) was very toothsome with good serious observations. Kudos to Canoe-Man-In-No-Water. 😀

There were some very good comments with special mention to GB, Rasper and many others too, especially Fred. 😀

Chas,

Lads and Dads — what’s that about? How many Lads do you have? 😀

are you better RA?

Lads and Dads is a northern thing that chas and ant participate in. Male friends and family go away to take part in pursuits exclusive to the lesser gender. Lads are now in their thirties and drink more than dads, so you can probably imagine the outcome

48. VP of Oz says:

What Rasp said!

RA
    Contrary to scurrilous rumours circulated by some of Eastern European origin, Lads and Dads is a highly civilised annual or sometimes biannual event for Fathers or Godfathers and various male offspring, involving camping and various beach or outdoorsy related activities.

This year’s extravaganza features 8 ‘adults’ and 8 children (ages ranging from 16 to 8 years old).

Does this mean that Lads and Dads will be missing the CL Final, the end of the Giro D’Italia, the Monaco GP, the Championship play-off at Wembley and the Lords Test?

Brilliant timing from the Dads

I do love a scurrilous rumour, Chas, and I do understand now what you meant.

It sounds great fun! 🙂

We are making a special trip to a child friendly bar to watch the CL Final.
    Not interested in the rest of that shite.

One of the Dads is born and bred Scouse!!!@

Sounds great Chas enjoy your weekend, maybe I should get a Canadian version going.

RA. Sounds to me an excuse for a major piss up

Raddy,

Don’t get me in trouble — but ‘a major piss up’ does sound like Ant and Dec’s “Dads and Lads” of choice!! 😀

57. fred1266 says:

I to will get a Trinidadian version going

We (Ant and me) just joined in.

The Lads and Dads was established long before our involvement.

I suppose you could say that we just fell on our feet.

Much as Mr Emery has found his circumstance!

59. Ants says:

Major piss ups are our speciality

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He’s won more than
    He’s won more than you-ou-ou
    Igor Stepanovs
    he’s won more than you

Have a great weekend, peeps.

i would have thought chas and ant are firmly in the Dads category
    you know, looking after lads, giving good example, teaching him good manners…no?

teaching them good manners

Bad news for Micky.

Rumours are that our first signing will be a 34 y.o. full back

Eddie. You have to have children to be a Dad and neither has spoken of sprogs

raddy – so they shouldn’t even attend those events?

Morning all. I see the media are at it even with Arsene departed. That well known red top has come up with a piece stating that Aubamayeng has stabbed Arsene in the back by saying we had stagnated under him.

I believe that he said that team had somewhat stagnated in the last few seasons without direct reference to Arsene which is a big difference. In the general context I think he also was complimentary of Arsene but at the same time was excited about the future under Emery.

I think the same paper also said that Emery had been axed by PSG suggesting he was sacked midway through a contract. I thought he had come to the end of his contract and it was just not renewed. Might be wrong of course.

it doesn’t take much does it for these people to make the slightest of tweaks to how they say something to present things in a completely different, (and self suiting), negative slant that doesn’t reflect the truth at all.

Just looked at the top 1/3rd of Arsenal NN stories and it seems we are signing 15 different players 🙂

GB. Excellent. How will we pay for them?

I know … by selling Ozil, Ramsey, Bellerin, PEA, Welbz, Xhaka, M-N, Laca and Chamebrs.

Can’t decide whom I want to win tonight.

Like Klopp, dislike L’pool.

Like Zidane, dislike RM

I am all Royal tonight, come on Madrid!!!

salah off injured, ooooooohhh 🙂

hahahaha 🙂

75. fred1266 says:

Hilarious goal though

fuck what a goal!!

monkey boy changed the game
    he pissed off the Pretty boy, but can’t blame him for wanting a hattrick

Glad Scousers lost.

Chas,

Did I tell you that I met Stepanovs in Spain some years back?

He was there with his team, as a coach for Jurmala (?) staying in the same hotel as me for a week or so. He said he was honoured. Oh, hang on, I grovelled as he bought me a drink – and I said I was honoured. (his English was not too good, and he might have mistook what I said as honourable? 😀

Actually a nice man who loved the Arsenal even if he was useless, 😀

I am so sorry that ‘Pool lost — hee hee hee

i feel sorry for Salah, such a terrific footballer, will miss out on the world cup. Get better soon Mo

the world cup won’t start proper footy till 30th June!! more than a month without yuk

81. VP of Oz says:

I’m impressed…

82. fred1266 says:

Egyptian optimistic that he can still make it, really hope he does

Looking forward to the Coventry v Exeter game this afternoon 😦