The Invisible Man

Amongst all the glam and glitter of the departure of Mr Wenger, there has been hardly a word about the loss of another gentleman who has worked faithfully  for over 20 years to bring glory to our fine club – Boro Primorac.

He is the chap who does all the unattractive groundwork, the man who puts out the cones, wanders around with a stopwatch, reads the pre-contracts, takes Arsene out for a few glasses of red wine after a defeat and has been the constant factor in Arsene’s reign.

Such was his media presence that know very little about Boro yet he was a fine player and an excellent coach.

As a player Boro was a centre half who played in Yugoslavia and France (where he met AW) , representing and captaining his country 14 times. He became a manager with Cannes where he and AW furthered their friendship, Cannes being the neighbour club to Monaco.

When Arsene went to Grampas in Japan Boro joined him as an assistant and followed him to Arsenal in 1997.

Unknown.jpeg

A point in Boro’s favour is his fluency in 8 – yes, 8  –  languages! He can speak to every member of the squad in their own language which given the inability of some players to learn English is of vital importance (looking at you Mr Sanchez). He is apparently the analyst of opposition (apparently we do have one), has encyclopedic knowledge of players.

I am having trouble fleshing out this post because despite Boro being at Arsenal for as long as Arsene there is little information about him. We know he is a big bloke – 6´3″.  We know he is clever but he doesn’t give interviews … ever. He doesn’t sit on the bench, preferring to be in the stands leaving just before half-time to give his analysis to the manager before he talks to the players.

What of the future for such a loyal servant? Can’t see him finding a role in the new manifestation of AFC. Perhaps he will follow Arsene to his new job. Whatever it is, thank you Mr Primorac for such loyal service.

A statue? No-one would have a clue who he was.

158 Responses to The Invisible Man

Who wrote this? Was it you Raddy? Anyway thanks to whoever did.

Boro looks like a cross between the actor Steven Berkoff and Mikhail Gorbachev, so people could stand in front of his statue outside the ems and reflect that here is a man who was one of the most important political figures in recent times, and a pretty decent thespian to boot.

I would like to think that the club could offer some ambassadorial roles for the likes of Arsene and Boro, even if they don’t want it immediately leave it as an open offer. You know they would represent the clubs best interest at all times, and I like the idea that we retain and even improve upon the Arsenal family atmosphere that surrounds the club.

I would like even more Arsenalisation at the club so that when outsiders look at it they see a club that, if you have been a loyal servant to it, you are forever consider one of the family. It showcases our history and hopefully makes us standout more, thus potentially giving us an different edge in players wanting to join us beyond clubs that will outbid us.

Boro though, like Arsene, is no youngster so if he wants to settle down and retire then he has earned that right, but I personally would still like to see us keep these people close to the club, if they wish to continue being attached to us in some fashion.

I take full responsibility 😦

Nice one, Raddy, 🙂

For anyone who would like to read a resumé of the recent events at AFC, I am attaching an article by Gary Jacobs of The Times that may be of interest, including a list of all those who have been required to fall on their swords. [Could be something about Primorac – Raddy] 😀

GARY JACOBS: THE TIMES —

Arsenal are expected to appoint Mikel Arteta as their head coach this week. Their former captain has been finalising the details of his contract and has named who he wants to form his coaching team in the past few days.

The expected appointment will end Arsenal’s pursuit of a successor to Arsène Wenger, whose 22-year tenure ended last week. Arsenal initially turned to Massimiliano Allegri but the Italian said that he is committed to Juventus for another season. Luis Enrique and Joachim Löw were also on the shortlist but the former Barcelona coach’s wage demands were too high and Löw extended his contract with Germany. Patrick Vieira, another former Arsenal captain, and Julian Nagelsmann, the Hoffenheim coach, were also considered.

Arteta has the blessing of Pep Guardiola, for whom he has been assistant coach at Manchester City for the past two years. The 36-year-old joined Arsenal in 2011 and spent five years with the club as a player. He would become the seventh former player to manage the club.

Allegri had been under consideration but he committed himself to Juventus

While Wenger has said that he believes Arteta has the qualities to do the job, William Gallas, another former Arsenal captain, disagreed. “I would be surprised because he’s never been in charge as a manager,” Gallas said. “It is completely different when you are in charge of 24 players.”

Arteta will have an input in player recruitment and also a veto on signings in the club’s new structure. Raul Sanllehi is the de facto director of football, Sven Mislintat is the head of recruitment and Huss Fahmy negotiates contracts.

Arteta is likely to bring in at least three of his own coaching appointments, although one of them will not be Santi Cazorla. The midfielder, 33, will train with Villarreal during pre-season in the hope of earning a contract having missed almost two years with injury.

Arsenal began a coaching cull a fortnight ago when Gerry Peyton, Tony Colbert and Neil Banfield left the club and were followed by Wenger’s long-serving assistant Boro Primorac.

Steve Bould and Jens Lehmann, who were also part of Wenger’s coaching team, have been told that they could stay at the club depending on the needs of the new manager.

Lehmann could, in theory, be offered the vacant position of goalkeeping coach while Bould has a potential coaching position at Stoke City, who parted company with Paul Lambert on Friday following their relegation. Thierry Henry, the club’s record goalscorer who is Belgium’s assistant manager, is expected to be interviewed to find out whether there is a role for him.

Arsenal appear to have lost out on Max Meyer. The attacker has decided not to renew his contract at Schalke and is close to joining Hoffenheim who have qualified for the Champions League. Arsenal have been trying to conclude a deal with Freiburg to sign Caglar Soyuncu, a 21-year-old centre back from Turkey.

SAFETY ADVICE:

After the probable appointment of Mikel Arteta, the current skirmishes about who the best coach/manager for Arsenal is, will ignite and WAR AMONG THE FANS will be declared.

Will they ever learn to co-habit as fans, and remember that fighting with other fans with different opinions is not de rigueur, and neither is it super-cool. [I think that is a rhetorical question as I am sure the answer is obvious!] 😦

Great work Raddy. Like you, I knew of Boro, but really nothing about him. He’s obviously a top bloke and a great servant to Arsene and the club … I wish him well.

But, I am really confused. In Boro and Bouldie we had too exceptional defenders as coaches .. and yet our defending got worse year after year and was a complete joke at times … how could that be?

5. Shard says:

As I recall, Primorac was manager at Valenciennes in France and was involved in exposing Marseille’s attempts at match fixing by bribing 3 of his players. Marseille were convicted and their president went to jail, but Marseille were allowed to keep the title (at the expense of Wenger’s Monaco) This incident drew the two affected managers closer and when Wenger decided to leave Europe and take up a new project in Japan he asked Primorac to join him (and of course later at Arsenal)

All of this is from memory, so some details may be wrong but I think the gist of it is right.

6. Shard says:

RA

I would be surprised if Lehmann is to officially become GK coach as that article says could happen. He’s said before he doesn’t want to be just a GK coach, and would one day like to be manager as well (Let’s start a new rumour 🙂 )

We already hired a GK coach last season. Sal Bibbo. In fact I think most of our departures were expected and we’ve already ‘replaced’ them. We’ve got Burgess and Shad to run the fitness and conditioning and Colbert’s gone. Banfield leaves as first team coach and I think Bould will fill in, while the manager will be expected to bring in an assistant and maybe one or two coaches to get the team playing the way he wants. I think this is a good thing as we have a structure in place already, which the new coach will build on. If it doesn’t work out we won’t be demolishing the entire coaching structure.

Bould and Lehmann also ensure some continuity, something ManU lacked once Ferguson left.

Before Rasp asks for academic citations and sources, I have none and am only offering my opinion.

🙂 Shard .. it’s amazing the stuff you know without even googling ….

Hi Shard,

Good points — I guess whoever we give the top job to will be happy to have continuity, as you said, and I also agree that Lehman was quoted at the time as saying he wanted to broaden his coaching role/experience and not be button-holed as ‘just’ a GK coach, again as you said.

If Arteta gets the job, and appoints Alonzo, his great mate (allegedly) then I can foresee Baldy Bouldie moving on.

[P.S. — you don’t need to worry about Rasper and his demands for accreditation – just say you read it on Reuters Sport, and he will say “that’s OK then”. 😀

Thanks alot Erik

We read recently about the departure of Klopp’s long term cone carrier, and on the back of that announcement I briefly mentioned the Clough Taylor team.

I had no idea this big fella had been around with Arsene before his Arsenal days and for me, this poses questions

Now I need to go away and work out what those questions are 🙂

Rasp

I share your confusion over the defensive coaching side of things.

Thanks to Erik, I now know that Boro’s input was way broader than the defensive side, but as I understand it, this was Bould’s sole role beyond ipad carrier, so why is he staying?

11. fred1266 says:

BR is this someone you made up of not then am so embarrassed since I never heard of him

Fred 😀 😀

13. fred1266 says:

Santi just confirmed he is leaving, this has been an awful year majority of the people who I love at arsenal are leaving

14. Shard says:

Not Arteta. It’s Unai Emery

Excellent, BR.

Poor old Boro, though I’d imagine he has plenty to retire on very happily indeed.

Thanks for all your hard graft, matey.

Dick Emery is the new boss says Darren

17. fatgingergooner says:

Sad that Cazorla has left the way he has. Loved watching him play and always gave his best for Arsenal. I fear Koscielny may end up leaving in similar fashion next year.

Hopefully the new look Arsenal will have a more ruthless side to it when it comes to retaining players.

From Sky sports

Unai Emery to be appointed Arsenal manager this week.

Arsenal will appoint former Paris Saint-Germain head coach Unai Emery as manager this week, Sky Sports News understands.

Emery, who left his job at PSG earlier this month, was in London on Monday for talks with the Gunners.

The 46-year-old Spaniard led the French Ligue 1 side to a domestic treble this season – but did not have his two-year contract extended and was replaced by Thomas Tuchel.

Former Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta was in the frame but withdrew from the process on Monday. He is understood to have wanted assurances over the role he will play in Arsenal’s transfer policy before agreeing to join the club as head coach.

The 36-year-old, who is a coach at Manchester City, also wanted guarantees that he will have a significant say in which players are to be sold to recoup funds for further investments, with the club’s summer budget reportedly at £50m.

Arteta is thought to be happy to remain at City as part of Pep Guardiola’s coaching staff if he is not given assurances over Arsenal’s transfer policy.

Former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique is understood to have asked for similar guarantees during discussions with Arsenal.

Sky Sports Spanish football expert Guillem Balague told Sky Sports Newson Monday: “I am hearing that Unai Emery is in London to hold talks with Arsenal. That has to do with the fact he is free, a top candidate and wants the job.

“We are talking about someone who has done such a great job in his career with the likes of Sevilla and only last week he was named manager of the year in France for the job that he did at PSG.”

19. VP of Oz says:

David Ornstein
    @bbcsport_david
    BREAKING: Arsenal to appoint Unai Emery as new manager. Thorough process produced 46yo Spaniard as unanimous choice. Available after leaving #PSG (1 Lg1 title, 4 cups), previously Sevilla (3 EL wins), not fluent English. Announcement + press conference likely later this week #AFC

TM™
    @ClassyGunners
    NOOOOOOOO WENGER COME BACK

The United Link 🏆
    @TheUnitedLink
    Emery is a downgrade on Wenger. I am sorry but that’s a fact.

🇺🇦
    @AnfieldRd96
    Unai Emery who bottled a 4-0 lead against Barcelona in the Champions League. Will fit right in with Arsenal.

Franklin Leonard
    @franklinleonard
    Arsenal pursuing Unai Emery, whose last Champions League sojourn included finishing second to Arsenal in the group stage and losing 6-1 to Barcelona after going up 4-0 at home in the Round of 16, is absolutely perfect.

I smell something a bit fishy

So two candidates wanted a say in what players come and go, and they got the thumbs down.

Along comes this Emery fella who says “don’t care about what players, I’ll have the gig. Not bothered about that sort of thing”

VP

Sounds like ‘we want our Arsenal back’ 🙂

I think we need to hear from RC79 as he’s a PSG man, although I have a nasty feeling he did comment and waved the white hanky with a big NON

Guess we need a poll:

1. happy
    2. not happy
    3. don’t know, I’m a remainer 🙂

Right, bedtime. In the morning I’ll do essential research before making up my mind ie looking up Emery teams Goals For columns over the past five seasons

Hoping to find big numbers 🙂

24. fatgingergooner says:

It’s starting to feel like the big appointments have already been made with Sanlehi and Mislintat taking a lot of control over transfers and how the squad will look and it’s becoming a bit of an anti climax in relation to who we will appoint to actually coach the players and pick the side.

Some of the names banded around have been pretty underwhelming and the fact we are only wanting a coach rather than a manager has seen some bigger names distancing themselves from the role. I would’ve loved someone like Allegri or Simeone to come in and take control, but it seems we are going in a totally different direction and it will be interesting to see how the group of people above the coach get on, and how the new coach gets on with them.

25. wally says:

My son rang me and asked what i thot. I didn’t even know it had happened.
    Emery comes with a solid cv. Solid if undistinguished. I’m looking forward to see what he can do.

Unai Emery, fantastic. He is sooooo handsome 🙂

Manager of the season 2018 in France + 3 Europa’s in a row is testament to a man who can deliver.

But once again we are being fed supposition masked as fact. No-one knows.

Well, how do we feel, although I guess we need to wait for confirmation, or do we?

Give it to Venga, I say.

can’t find the goals for columns while he was at Sevilla

this is just brilliant spin 🙂
    Brendan, Ancellotti, klopp’s side kick (i am glad i didn’t bother learning his name), Vieira, Enrique, Allegri, Arteta…Emery? Nope, nobody even mentioned him 🙂

what a consipracy, top notch

how much did Emery spend while at PSG? Does he create offensive or offensive teams? who were his best players?

where is Wiki this morning?

No idea Eddie

I have been sniffing around, although I sort of ignored the PSG time as they’re so much richer than the others

At Sevilla, his side tended to finish about 5th but always win the Europa

I declare myself very happy.

and i join the club. Happy clappy.

such exciting times ahead 🙂 I might hit the roof in anticipation

seriously though – had they appointed Arteta I would stop my support. That would have been a fucking joke. So much for the media stories. How can anybody believe ANYTHING they print? I bet you any money Trump didn’t win the elections and Clinton is in charge

Morning all, good news we’ve acted quickly and how very ‘Arsenal’ for it to be someone from left field.

Had it been Arteta he would have received my full support …. but as of now, I am a huge Unai fan 🙂

It will be interesting to see if Dick brings in any players from his previous teams.

We should probably get all the Emery jokes out of the way today …. otherwise it could get abrasive …..

At PSG he was just bought toys to play with, it looks like we are heading that way too, except the toys probably won’t be as expensive, Smyths rather than Hamleys. 😃

Arsene’s departure happened almost immediately before Enery’s Announcement to leave PSG.

If reports are to be believed looks like we are going to really have to trust in these Directors of Football/Recruitment, my suspicion is that had already started.

I am not so sure we are going for the right man here. Again at face value he seems more suited than Arteta, but what I liked about the idea of Arteta is someone who has observed and learned from a couple of top coaches and who could bring a new and fresh approach to our tactics and how we approach games. It seems that those in the know talk highly of his insight of the game.

It felt brave and new and I fancied something a bit different. Conversely from what I read about Emery and his tactics he seems to be very similar to Wenger in how his teams line up and attack. There may be a bit of extra attention to detail with USB sticks given to players but his blueprint sounds very similar to Arsene’s one that hasn’t been consistently effective at the highest level.

Are we going a bit groundhog day rather than seizing the initiative and getting an exciting young coach in (before someone else nabs him) who can change the perspective of the club in a playing sense. We need RC to enlighten us but have a look at this link in the meantime.

Exile

Totally agree (apart from the toys bit)

Arsene’s sacking had been planned, as the new recruiting team were appointed and in place, the signings of Auba and Mikhi as well, and then the timing of the Emery thing which I hadn’t thought of.

I see all that planning and restructuring as a very positive developmment

GB

My problem with the Arteta talk was less about his managerial experience, as the management side has clearly been diluted with the evolution of buying/recruiting specialists, but more about Arteta the man as a leader commanding respect and I did not see that in him

very clever management, i am impressed. Not sure about Aube and Miki, but it sounds plausible

Peaches says: terrible defence, EU or UE lost the dressing room at PSG just in 2 seasons?

Eddie

Suppose Ivan and Co. complete the restructuring by firing Bould and recruiting an expert

We have to give this guy a chance. He’s been reported as intense and almost a football obsessive …. and not being able to protect a 4 nil lead and to shut up shop defensively by losing 6:1 to Barca is a concern.

The fact is we’re setting up a European style management structure where the constant comes from behind the scenes … Mislintat and co, and maybe the manager’s role will be quite different to previously … a bit like civil servants and ministers ….

Totally disagree with all that, Rasp 🙂

First up, I’ve read all that nonsense about the Barca away leg. You simply cannot judge a team on one game, let alone a bunch of drugged up lunatics 🙂

Second, what they’re setting up is way more a private sector model than the ‘can’t be fired or take personal responsibility’ public sector model.

The most justifiable criticism of the AW years (and it was not his fault) was that the club allowed too many roles to fall on the shoulders of one man. Apart from anything else, it made it very hard to identify specific weaknesses

By having more clearly defined roles, you can simply fire the under-performers and it will have less impact on the overall structure

Hi Micky … one of us is going mad .. because you appear to have agreed with me? My point was that managers will come and go, hence the civil servant/minister analogy.

Don’t get me wrong he will get my full support and he needs time but I just wonder if we are not really changing direction enough with Emery and should have been looking to be a bit braver and more innovative.

Micky the leader thing I guess is a reference as a player. Not sure the 2 entirely correlate. I am not certain that Arsene, pep, Ancelotti e.t.c would have benn considered eye bulging leaders as players while Moyes, Allardyce, Hughes……. well you get my point 🙂

Personally, from a managerial perspective, I think a calm authority probably works best but one that doesn’t allow players to feel they can kick back and take it easy. i am sure Arteta has the required skills in that sense.

Rasp

Oh, ok 🙂 🙂

Micky did the club allow too many roles to fall on Arsene’s shoulders or is that exactly how he wanted it, to be in control of all factors? We will never really know with opinions divided at either end, but I just cannot see a situation (over the last 10 years or so) where if Arsene had approached the board to say I need these 3 people to ease the burden on me, so I can concentrate on playing matters, that the board would have refused him and said ” no you can’t have that Arsene, it is all down to you”.

GB

Arsenal needs tweaking step by step. We were never going to get a Jardim or Allegri type. They take national league winners and try and turn them into CL winners. We need someone to take us first of all back to top four

So why do we need to take such a huge gamble on an Arteta

I want the risks taken by our attack not the pretty boy on the touchline or the hideous beats in defence

Of course the club allowed it 🙄

Now the bastards are going to announce Arteta as manager, aren’t they? 🙂

See ya

To be honest Micky I do get the argument about his lack of managerial experience, and it does leave some nagging doubts in my mind as well, but I just felt that there was a lot going for him in terms of starting something new and different with a clean sheet. I am sure he has learned a lot in 2 years under Pep as well and the background noises that he is highly thought of in terms of his insight kind of sold me on taking this braver step.

If we now ditch him and go for Emery then I hope the club have done it with some tact and diplomacy, i.e explaining to him that we just needed some more guaranteed stability over the next 2-3 seasons but do see him as a long-term option for the club after this.

If we have burned our bridges with him in a disrespectful way then he will likely never consider us in the future. Just imagine if he turns out to be a gem of a fist team coach and ends up doing it for the Spuds or another EPL rival.

54. VP of Oz says:

GB, I never thought that Arteta was in the running. At best he was used to divert attention whilst Arsenal went about finalising their next coach (which I still hope might be ZZ).
    As for Arteta observing Pep, most people do, doesnt make them a good coach. I find it arrogant that he isnt out there plying his trade and coaching lower level teams and learning to lose games as much as win games, develop character and his own style etc.
    You dont hand over the keys to a sports car to a novice to take for a spin for the first time on their own just because they observed the instructor intently. Its business suicide and I can assure this is very big business that needs experience and skills from a seasoned professional (or a ZZ who keeps on winning trophies every season, mind you he was not experienced when he took over Real Madrid so my argument is looking weak now).
    Dont get me wrong. I really like Arteta and I like him even more now that there is distance with him becoming our next coach.

By the way, dont they need to do a press conference or something before they announce the coach. Have I missed 2 of them so far?

55. VP of Oz says:

I like this on ESPN –
    In two seasons at Paris Saint-Germain, in fact, Unai Emery managed to win seven trophies — as many as Tottenham have managed in 38 years.

To be honest VP, as I have said, I feel there is no absolute guarantee with anyone so Emery could turn out to be just the ticket and will get my full support. I just hope that the board have behaved respectfully towards the likes of Arteta and Vieira because you never know what the future may bring with management at Arsenal and I would hate to think we have burned our bridges with them.

As a rule of thumb it obviously stands to reason that a big club in one if the most competitive and tough leagues (if not the toughest) would be best suited to a manager with some experience. However there are a few examples of experienced managers falling flat on their face in the EPL (and other top leagues), while conversely there are examples of rookies that step in and immediately they look like they belong at the top table.

I suppose if you look at Emery vs Arteta you could say it is good 1st team managerial experience but poor English language skills and no experience of the EPL, vs poor 1st team managerial experience but good English language skills and good experience of the EPL. Which wins the battle?

It’s never an official fact until it’s announced by Arsenal. It would be a rare happening for something of this importance to be leaked by the Gunners.

The facts are it’s been “announced” by the media and we’ve heard nothing from P.S.G. Emery or Arsenal.

But……………………?

58. Shard says:

Hi GoonerB

Like you I was disappointed that Arsenal seemingly decided to go with Emery instead of Arteta, for the same reasons. Arteta seemed like a fresh, bold approach, while Emery seemed much of the same with none of the potential upside, despite his experience.

I have since come around to seeing Emery as a good appointment. Proof of course being in the pudding. Or maybe that’s a bad example, because we don’t want to be soft like pudding.

But anyway, Emery is supposedly ‘too’ focused on tactical instructions to players. I suppose this might cause problems with some players. Especially because Emery is also reportedly not a great man manager. (Some reports say otherwise) Also, he is supposedly similar to Wenger’s tactics and I did feel why then replace Wenger at all. (4231/433 with fullbacks going high)

However, his detailed tactical instruction might just be what the team needs. The players already know Wengerball and the formation will suit our personnel (including Ozil) Add a little more defensive emphasis to that and hopefully we can retain the exciting aspects of Wengerball while being solid.

His experience at Valencia and Sevilla show he can perform within a small budget. He did well at PSG too despite issues with discipline (Get Bould and Lehmann to help with that at Arsenal, who have less prima donnas anyway)

Emery meets the criteria of attacking football, promoting youth, and representing the club well. He has experience in coaching in 3 countries (didn’t do too well in Russia) and is still young. (6 months younger than Pochettino apparently) He’s won trophies in Europe (3 ELs!)and won the treble in France last year. Also, I think he’ll be hungry to prove his worth at a big club (minus the oil billions) at Arsenal and in the PL. I’m quite excited. Arteta/Vieira can wait for a few more years (Agree that I hope they left on good terms)

Now Arsenal need to provide him with the players he needs to take us forward.

PS. (Emery’s CV might help us land a few transfer targets even without the CL)

Shard, I have a feeling we may see 2 big(ish) departures in positions we are more covered in (or even over stocked in) to add to the transfer kitty to get the players we need to balance the side. On top of this I expect a few smaller departures which may bring in some extra revenue.

We probably need a GK, 1 experienced commanding CB, a holding midfielder (arguably), and a goal-scoring natural wide player.

I have a feeling we may lose one ACM (only really one of any real monetary value that is realistic that I can see) and I wonder if good money was put on the table for Bellerin whether we are well covered in AMN. I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is a lesser player and if anything feel he seems a better natural defender, a bit of an Ashley Cole in the making.

I keep feeling excited about the possibility of Emery then revising my feelings and thinking he is not different enough to what we are moving on from. That link that I put up earlier keeps playing on my mind that nothing new or fresh is arriving to take us in a new and different direction.

I guess time will tell and he will get my support from the outset until we see the cut of his jib and allow him the time to impose himself on the side.

60. Aaron says:

Totally fine with this appointment, actually more than fine!

Bloody damn good one.

All this talk of Arteta made me disappear from many blogs for the last week, as I thought the club had lost their collective minds.

Arteta has not even coached under 12’s, and people think this guy is ready for the Arsenal.

All those thinking about pup and zZ need to get a reality check, put those guys over at Swansea and get back to me. They have coached the 2 best teams in the last decade only, not some limited budget, injury prone, and no winter break EPL clubs.

If Arteta came in and lost the dressing room, could easily happen (5 losses in a row to start season), it could have well have been bottom quartile for the Arsenal or even dare I say- relegation.

Emery is a WINNER! Does tactics, youth, limited budgets, but do not expect him to hang around for more than 4 years, which is to be expected.
    Team is going to get their ego’s handed back to them in a dog bowl.
    Good times indeed.

Micky 8.46. Agree completely.

Arsenal is not a Mickey Mouse tinpot company, we are a worldwide brand with 700 employees. Things may not always go to plan but to think they do not plan ahead is naive.

62. Shard says:

I agree we need a commanding experienced CB. Maybe even 2, if Mustafi is deemed not good enough. I am not sure we NEED a GK. I think Cech’s shot stopping is good enough. It’s the speed at coming out, and some poor decisions under panic that is the problem with him. Not saying I wouldn’t want a new GK, but I think it’s less an area of need if we address the CB and DM positions with a more team focus on defense.

I can see the need for a winger, but also why this may not be necessary with the players we have, including the youth (Nelson, Jeff) and the senior loanees (Campbell, Lucas)

A CB and DM are my priority areas. Everywhere else I’m happy for us to buy cheap or make do. I think our attack is very good (always happy to make it better)

I’d like a Gk, a winger, and a backup RB (AMN and Chambers/Holding can also do a job there). But I’m not sure we should look to sell anybody to stretch our budget. Apart from those out of favour.

The exception being Ramsey and Welbeck if they don’t sign new contracts. But actually getting Ramsey to sign should be the first priority because our midfield balance will depend on whether he stays or goes.

The first thing to fix is the defence and Emery is a man well versed in developing parsimonious defences.

I would like a new GK – we will need one as Ospina is leaving. A CB – Kos is sadly finished.

Not sure about a midfielder as I think our personnel are fine, the tactics less so.

I agree with Shard that if Ramsey does not want to sign a contract extension he should be sold.

are you sure Raddy? Unless parsimonious means shit.
    PSG v Barca 4 nil, on aggs 6:5

Midfield will be fine if both Ramsey and Wilshere stay – if not ?.

Eddie. You cannot judge a manager on one bent game. Watch it and tell me the referee was not bunged – it was a disgrace.

67. Aaron says:

Emery won Europa multiple times and the Barca game was fixed-period!
    His teams score goals and play good D. Will take that all day….

68. fred1266 says:

also remember the ref got banned after that game for some fishy calls

That game was almost as bent as when Barca beat the Chavs at the Bridge on their way to the CL Final in 2009

Now that was funny especially Drogba

really? I didn’t know that, i didn’t watch the game so I have to take your word for it.
    Ok, Emery is the defensive whizz kid, micky won’t like that.

the frenzy has already started 🙂 We are apparently set to sign Caglar Soyuncu, young bery talented defender

72. fred1266 says:

Anyone know how Martinez did on loan

73. VP of Oz says:

On a more serious note, are our new home strips really got pink bands on the sleeves?

74. RC78 says:

Guys – I can tell you all about Emery. The guy is a football fanatic…He is so meticulous and he wants his teams to play with character and agression. He wants the teams to play:
    1. Direct football – get to the box as fast as possible
    2. Fast counter attack based on placed attacks
    3. High press

At PSG, his desire, attention to details and agression were not well appreciated by some players. He loves videos and he loves tactical chats.

With him as a coach, I am worried for either Miky or Ozil because there will be space for only one of them in the team. He will move Ramsey up the pitch for sure. He will also heavily rely on Auba and I think Lacaz will have a role to play up front as well so I can see the front three to be:

Ramsey, Auba – Lacaz

He will also want 3 mids with quite an engine so I expect to see Emery keep Xhaka as a starter but in a different role and I think that he will try to recruit a DM and if he doesn’t get the one he wants, he will ask Wilshere to play there so you will have

Xhaka, RECRUIT, Miky OR Xhaka, Jack, Miky

In terms of his full-backs, he relies on attacking minded full backs so expect Bellerin and Koli to be starters

In terms of his CB, he wants 1 old school CB that is strong in the air and on the man and 1 CB that is more modern with pace, positional awareness and good passing range. Expect us to recruit another CB.

Possible team:
    Cech – Bellerin, Mavropanos, RECRUIT, Koli – Xhaka, RECRUIT, Miky – Ramsey, Auba – Lacaz

That leaves Wilshere and Ozil on the bench but he will make that team work because all of them are ready to play with heart. They will give him what he wants and they will maximize their potential.

Expect players like Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Iwobi to be sidelined.

Expect players like Ozil, Wilshere to be frustrated but to fight for their place.

Expect players like Wellbeck, AMN and Ntiah to be given a chance.

The guys is a football freak but he can maximize a team s potential. With him, I feel that Top 4 is achievable and that a Cup win is on the cards.

If our recruitment team can get him a solid CB (Koulibaly), a solid DM (Gueye) and maybe 2 promising defenders (1 RB and 1 CB), he will deliver to meet clubs and fans expectations.

75. fred1266 says:

They are hideous

Beautiful

Both stopping?

Pink sleeve bands. How very modern and inclusive 🙂

I’m almost ready to pen a post but won’t unscrew me fountain pen cap until an announcement

Trying to keep a lid on my thoughts until then

Away all day, so hopefully the announcement can wait until tonight

oh yuk, just noticed the pink tops to the Granit socks

Thanks RC

Many uses of the attack word. I’m so IN

The photos are Aaron and Jack!

aaron is covering the artwork on his legs
    I am surprised he hasn’t got a ‘sleve’

horrible pink, simply horrible

Arsenal are expected to confirm the appointment of Unai Emery as their new manager today.

write a post Didit

ha ha ha, i like him already

“Unai Emery ‘proud’ to be new Arsenal manager as Spaniard appears to confirm himself as Arsene Wenger’s successor on his official website”

AFC said it would be done pre-WC and it seems as though they are true to their word.

Hate the new kit – is it real or fake?

We had a couple of posts in the loading bay about potential managers. Useless now 😦

post them raddy, not too late yet

who knows, perhaps we will still end up with Rogers or Arteta 🙂 🙂

i am proud of my club, good business done in top professional manner

Morning all, thanks to RC78 for his appraisal of UE … if he can deliver half of that I’d be very happy.

100% behind the appointment … next season is going to be very interesting … I can see season ticket sales going through the roof!

… don’t post mine 😦

Eddie they are not relevant anymore. We can wait unti Micky writes something

RC. Thank you – that is very informative.

I do not agree about our CB’s. Chambers looks a very good player in the making. Holding is good enough to be 4th choice behind Mustafi, Chambers and a new CB.

Iwobi has massive potential, if Emery is a coach who develops youth (Rabiot) then he will have a place in the future teams.

iwobi is shit and there is no way he will ever improve, I am certain of it.

I remember people saying something similar about Gareth Bale and Ronaldo at the same age Eddie ….. have faith 🙂

94. Ants says:

I don’t much like the sleeve design either but since when has thin red and white hoops been pink? Glasses required for some.

Interesting thoughts on Emery, RC78 but why would any manager, in their right mind, not play Mesut from the start?

So the new manager, Emery Board has been announced — he will need do a lot of filing on the existing roster to release more transfer cash.

** Any knowledge of emery boards implied or acknowledged is purely coincidental – that’s an area of Chas’s expertise. 😀

96. RC78 says:

Iwobi does not have the same work rate as Rabiot – that is going to be a huge handicap for him.

I am a bit worried about Ozil as Emery does not like players that do not track back and that cannot sustain multiple efforts. I am hoping that Miky will be able to take over this role in a midfield three and I think he will.

Watch out for AMN to develop into a fine player though and I think that Ramsey will blossom too and will score us many goals.

As for Chambers and Holding, let us see but they are struggling to improve and I think that BOTH should be sent on loan and that we should keep Mavropanos and buy a CB.

If we get Koulibaly as CB and Gueye as DM as starters, Emery will make it work and I can also foresee that Xhaka will be doing well under Emery.

Ant,

Much tho I love your cheery countenance — I have to say that unless the photo has been touched up – them thar shirt sleeve hoops are as pink as they come. 🙂

I do not dislike the shirt designs, altho I thought Nike or Adidas were going to sponsor the shirts — maybe next year once the current shirt contract expires.

And as for the matching boots — Jack seems to be colour blind.

Aaron is a good boy and knows his red and whites from Jack’s black.

99. TotalArsenal says:

Great news re Emery. 🙂

Some fine comments on here, especially RC78’s but I am with Ants’ second paragraph all the way. Mesut will be in the first eleven. Aaron may be moved into the hole with Mkhi/Laca, Auba and Mesut in front of him.

Best bit of comment is Shard’s last paragraph which is bang on the money (as so often):

‘Emery not different enough, I totally get that! And yet, I think he might be different in just the right ways.’

100. VP of Oz says:

from Arsenal.com

Unai Emery is to become our new head coach. He joins the club after completing a two-year spell at Paris Saint-Germain, where he recently landed the treble of Ligue 1, Coupe de France and the Coupe de la Ligue.

Unai, 46, previously spent three seasons with Sevilla, leading them to an unprecedented three consecutive Europa League titles, establishing the club as a major force in the Spanish league.

Announcing the appointment, chief executive Ivan Gazidis said: “Unai has an outstanding track record of success throughout his career, has developed some of the best young talent in Europe and plays an exciting, progressive style of football that fits Arsenal perfectly. His hard-working and passionate approach and his sense of values on and off the pitch make him the ideal person to take us forward.

“We conducted a confidential, wide-ranging and rigorous search involving extensive background references, data and video analysis, and personal meetings with all the candidates we shortlisted. All were interested in the position and we were unanimous in our choice of Unai to drive the next chapter of our history.”

Majority owner Stan Kroenke said: “We’re delighted to welcome Unai to Arsenal. He’s a proven winner. We’re confident that he is the right person for the job and that he will work to deliver the triumphs our fans, staff and everyone who cares about Arsenal want.

“Several things stood out during his interview and the entire process; his football knowledge, energy, determination and love of the game. His familiarity with our club and our players, the Premier League and the game in Europe were all very impressive. He shares our vision to move forward, to build on the platform created by Arsène Wenger and help this club enjoy greater success.”

Unai said: “I am thrilled to be joining one of the great clubs in the game. Arsenal is known and loved throughout the world for its style of play, its commitment to young players, the fantastic stadium, the way the club is run. I’m very excited to be given the responsibility to start this important new chapter in Arsenal’s history. I have met Stan and Josh Kroenke and it’s clear they have great ambitions for the club and are committed to bringing future success. I’m excited about what we can do together and I look forward to giving everyone who loves Arsenal some special moments and memories.”

Unai started his coaching career at Lorca Deportiva in 2005 after playing mostly in the Spanish second division. He went on to coach Almeria, Valencia and Spartak Moscow before joining Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain.

The appointment is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Copyright 2018 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source.

101. VP of Oz says:

I think Stans comment was critical in the selection process –

He values what Arsene established and wanted someone who would build on it rather then tear it down.

102. RC78 says:

Ants – I see your point regarding Ozil but to be honest, if he does not change his defensive work rate, there is no chance he will sustain Eemery’s demands. If Ozil manages, then he will start and he will start ahead of Miky and Ramsey will take the third spot in midfield BUT knowing Emery a bit, I think he will push Ramsey forward.

103. RC78 says:

Emery can really help develop some of our players and I really think that AMN will develop into a fine player with Emery’s support/guidance.

If Wilshere is ready to move back as DM, I can guarantee you, he will also do well under Emery.

Emery likes his team to be compact defensively and then burst out offensively.

104. RC78 says:

Balague is repeating what I am saying about Emery. I should try to land a job at skysports 😛

105. RC78 says:

The only question mark you have with Emery is his ability to manage Divas/Big stars but I am not sure we have such precious players in our team besides Auba maybe…

106. RC78 says:

He struggled with Thiago Silva and Neymar at PSG. He folded under pressure of Verratti as well.

107. RC78 says:

One player that Emery may also try to bring to our squad is Nzonzi from Sevilla, Nombele from Lyon, Ndiri from Leicester.

Emery will give names and profiles. He will deal with what he is given through. He wont make a fuss if he does not get his first choice of players.

108. max2themax says:

A “Narrative” – (and therefore entirely made up, with no insider knowledge, but based on a long life in the world):-

In April 2017, with the FA Cup Final fast approaching, Arsene Wenger has a meeting with Stan Kroenke and Ivan Gazidis. At this meeting, he expressed a desire to step down after the cup final, win or lose, so worn had he become by corrupt refereeing and rebellious ‘fans’. The two businessmen laid a course out before him (no doubt using the salt and pepper, wine glasses, napkins and cutlery to illustrate their strategy): that he might sign a new contract for two years, during which time a new management structure would be put in place, to avoid the succession disaster at Manchester United, and a replacement for Arsene would be sounded out and prepared. The maximum time they were allowing was two years, but that if the goal was achieved earlier, he could orchestrate a triumphal departure at the end of a year.

The new management team was recruited, bar the new coach, and various managers/coaches were sounded out about their desire/availability. At an early stage, Unai Emery made it clear that he was interested – he was sick of trying to coach rich know-it-all playboys, and wanted to be involved with lesser egos who had more desire. His one request at an early stage, was to be rid of Alexis before he took the job, ideally replaced by Mkhitaryan. The Board did not see this as a problem, and besides, in every respect he fulfilled their criteria, and Christmas saw the final piece of the jigsaw, capped by the inspired recruiting of Auba, to reunite with Mkhitaryan.

To comply with legal requirements, following the announcement of Arsene’s departure, Arsenal embarked on a proper interview process, at the climax of which, Unai Emery was duly announced.

Any “Arteta turned Arsenal down”, “Arsenal drew back from callow Arteta appointment”, “Allegri/Tuchel/Vieira/Rogers/Henry favourite to be appointed” stories were inventions of the media, gratefully encouraged by Arsenal, by dint of their habitual silence.

Welcome Unai.

The End.

109. fred1266 says:

am sure Emry is going to get Kryshowiak he seems to buy him every club he goes to

110. Shard says:

Nzonzi at Arsenal would make me happy.

If Ozil is not in the starting XI, he will have to be sold. No way you sign a player on nearly 350k a week and sit him on the bench because he’s not a carthorse. That said, Ozil will have to contribute more in the defensive phase. For the record, I don’t believe Ozil is lazy.

I doubt this will need anything drastic, as I’m sure his attacking gifts will win Emery over. In fact, if Emery cannot fit Ozil into his preferred 4231, I don’t think he’s as tactically astute a manager as he’s made out to be.

111. Shard says:

High praise from TA.

I like it. 🙂

112. VP of Oz says:

Nice one Max, I agree, sounds about right.
    I’ve heard from somone else from the club that most of the signings, departures, etc. are finalised long before it happens. In the meantime, the media needs to fill the void

My main concern is the fact that he has managed 6 clubs in just 14 seasons, why is that?. Interesting times ahead

Unai Emery Clubs Managed

2004–2006 Lorca Deportiva
    2006–2008 Almería
    2008–2012 Valencia
    2012 Spartak Moscow
    2013–2016 Sevilla
    2016–2018 Paris Saint-Germain
    2018– Arsenal

max 🙂

GN5 – so he will be gone by 2020, fine by me. I suspect we will appoint many before we land The One.

Eddie, my concern is that the quick turnaround of managers does not help the first team squad in the creation of a new and cohesive playing methodology.

But I guess it’s early days and only time will tell, but with him only spending an average of 2.3 years at each of his previous clubs – I’m concerned that it will not create long term success – short term maybe.

my concern would be that he stays for 20 years or more 🙂

Like Max’s comment. Could be true and I certainly think Emery was pencilled in many months ago.

Due diligence has to take place with a public company and others have to be interviewed.

30 bloody five minutes?? are you mad, do you really think anybody is going to watch it?

Suit yourself, darling.
    I’m watching it. 🙂

We all know you have the attention span of a goldfish!

So far it seems to corroborate Max’s view of proceedings. 🙂

I think Unai just called Arsenal Football Club a “Grand Stallion” 😆

goldfish remember to swim back and forth, I forget

Funny that I cannot concentrate or remember anything. But give me a completely nutty name of an arsenal player or manager and I will never forget 🙂

so what did he say, in Italian I presume

Chaps English was pure pants. but fairplay to him for giving it a go.

We are so used to hearing AW, who is such a wonderful communicator, that Emery will inevitably suffer by comparison.

I think he said that he has a Cunning Plan.

125. fred1266 says:

And he can’t even talk English, getting an earache listening to him talk

126. fred1266 says:

Translate for use chas

Freddie
    Your English is far from perfect itself! 🙂

Yeah but Fred is not managing arsenal is he?

Fred, is English your first language?

I don’t give a damn about his ability to speak English, in fact I thought he showed a lot of class to answer the questions in English. However I care a great deal about his ability to drive our team onward and upwards. I was very impressed with his pride at being our manager his obvious energy and desire.

Thank you for posting the press conference Chas – I was left feeling very positive about our new manager.

I was also impressed in the manner both Ivan and Unai talked about Arsene.

Do you fancy managing Arsenal?

132. Shard says:

Malleable!

🙂

go to bed chas 🙂

134. fatgingergooner says:

Possession and Pressing.

I like him already!

Proper

Ahoy sailors

Looking forward to watching/hearing the Emery interview

Nice shirt, but some pink stripes would help

shit a brick, i said i’d do a post 🙂 🙂

There was i thinking i could laze about, slurping coffee, watching vids, being serious and generally catching up on the Arsenal mood for a bit

Morning All

Lovely day here. Looking forward to both the Emery reign and Micky’s post.

Couldn’t have been easy for Emery to wear a woollen suit on a hot day like yesterday

6.43. As you say …. proper

Eddie. From the BBC about Emery … only one game though!

“it is worth remembering how he produced a series of tactical tweaks to completely outflank Liverpool manager Klopp in that 2016 Europa League final, transforming a 1-0 interval deficit for Sevilla into a 3-1 win that was more convincing even than that scoreline suggests.”

Marnin’ Erik

Just got to take a teenager to a bus, then back to finish some words. Can you publish as I think Chas works

Must have something in the post by 8:15

Raddy – Sheep wool insulation is an outstanding insulator. … Due to the crimped nature of wool fibres, they form millions of tiny air pockets that trap air, helping to provide a thermal barrier. Thermal conductivity is the ability for heat to pass from one side of a material through to the other

my wool duvet is BEST during summer nights, keeps me cool and cozy/

I thought you were in the schmata business?

nobody has to sell Emery to me, i am the biggest fan already 🙂

I’m not doing a selling job Eddie, I’m just a bit behind so kinda summarizing

schmata business 🙂 had to look it up though. rag trade

not you, Raddy posted a clip from beebees

schmata (szmata) is a polish word, means rubbish fabric
    Many Jewish emigrants from Poland and Russia were in the schmata business after arriving in England. They built best fashion departments here, including M&S

i love all the Sch jewish words – schlep, schlo, schmuck, schmutz, schmaltz, schmata, schnoz, they such fun 🙂

POST SENT

this is too good not to mention – the government announced changes to the prison system. The convicts will be employed in the simple jobs, ie replace the deported foreigners post Brexit 🙂 🙂

i am still sitting waiting for the micky post

do we want R madrid to win on Sat? I didn’t know the final was in Kyev, could be interesting. I’d say ukrainians will cheer for the scousers

Just noticed a post in my inbox ……………………..I’ll sort it now, apologies

154. New Post everyone ……………………