A Flock of Seagulls – Dodging Guano

Brighton away this season seems more about building a little confidence and momentum going into the Europa round of 16 tie against AC Milan, than about a desperate search for 3 points. However, the two go hand-in-hand – a victory seems essential to restore some pride in performance after two fairly predictable defeats this week to the country’s top side.

Currently 12th, Brighton have had a good season but their League position hides the fact that they are only 4 points above a relegation spot. They will be fighting tooth and nail to ensure their survival, thus consolidating a position in the Premier League.

The Seagulls’ squad is a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve been reading good things about their Australian keeper Maty Ryan, who is similar in build to David Ospina but makes up for his relative lack of height with speed, agility and great positioning. Propper, Dunk, Bong and Knockaert sounds more like a great Saturday night out to me, though I’m sure they’re all very fine professionals.

Manager Chris Hughton seems largely untainted by his seedy past association with the more excremental parts of North London. His stay at the Amex has seen a successful battle to avoid relegation in the latter half of the 2014/5 season, a creditable narrow miss for promotion the season after and last season’s march to an automatic promotion spot.

Enough of the opposition, how are we fixed? As far as I can tell, only Nacho and Laca are definitely out, with Jack available again after a slight knock (or temporary withdrawal from the frontline due to his disgust at his contract offer – you choose).

Let’s see a positive response from the reported ‘inquest’ after Thursday’s game. It really is time the players performed to their abilities and gave us all some hope rather than continually letting down both the fans and our beleaguered manager.

Team

I’m going for a couple of goals for Auba. It seems harsh and hasty to judge him in any way on his Arsenal career so far. Yes, he has missed chances against the spuds, in the Final last Sunday and Thursday’s pen but he really has come into a team running at an extremely low ebb. That whole feeling of drifting towards mid-table mediocrity needs to change today on the South coast with a quality team performance featuring solid defence, sparkling creation and cold-blooded finishing.

As BR would say, “Let it be so”.

chas

145 Responses to A Flock of Seagulls – Dodging Guano

Thanks Chas

That’s a deeply studious and sober PM. All in the right order, a sprinkle of humour and an extremely pretty formation chart.

Tidy.

I, too, must dash to collect my daughter from a party.

2. A close 2nd.
    Beaten by a lesser bloke.

good post, thanks Deputy PM scribbler!
    However, the way forward is to rest any player worth his salt (I actually thought the proverb was ‘worth his corn’ 🙂 ), play cup tied Auba and random 10. Who cares about today’s result? We cannot get into top 4 now, too late.

As I said before (and I will remind you this on many more occasions later) we have to win in Europe. Top priority, the only priority, sod the rest.

If ‘good’ occasionally players don’t play today, nothing will happen to their precious egos.

can we have the dog on sledge video again? Must be the best ever 🙂

How on earth have you managed to hide posts of that quality for so long?

I am way out of the loop. Can you just give me a bit more info on the Wilshere thing? Is there a suggestion that the club have finally offered an official contract but it is below what he was hoping.
    There was some talk that it was going to be injury related or the lack of it ie he gets paid if he is fit?

I was just speculating, LB.

Apols if it seems like I was just spreading shit.

Though I did see rumours that his camp weren’t happy with a supposed offer followed by him being out of Tuesday’s game with a ‘slight knock’.
    So I suppose I put two and two together and made 16.

Thursday’s

10. Red Arnie says:

Thank you Chas. Great post. 🙂

Back to bed, then.

Thanks chas. You’ve said it all.

We need to find a team out of these players so I’d play our strongest side and try to build confidence for the Europa tie.

If we play badly and that doesn’t happen then I guess we’re just not good enough.

I’ve been hearing disturbing reports about a team meeting in the dressing room after Thursday’s defeat … does anyone have any info on that?

I’ve just looked at your line up chas … hell … there are a lot of very good players there. If we were equal to (not even more than) the sum of our parts we should win comfortably. The poor away form is hard to fathom.

Noooooooo, I’m going to miss the game 😦

Must go, and now. Day in tatters. Better be one hell of a lunch

14. Red Arnie says:

told you, Micky. excess crypto is harmful for armchair footy. 🙂

15. fred1266 says:

Come on chas you could at least get the numbers of the players correct lol

16. fred1266 says:

They game actually feel like Swansea all over again

A good Post, Chas.

I agree it would be ridiculous to judge Auba, or Miki or La Caz in a season where the team have unexpectedly struggled.

They will all come good, given time.

In our current state of shock after the Man Citeh results today’s game needs us to treat Brighton with caution, not that anyone does not already know that — but that does not mean hiding their talent under a bushel.

Just let it flow, and this game could kick start a storming end to the remainder of the season. And set us up for Thursday’s EL against one of the top Italian teams.

Chas,

Ramsey and Belli out — Chambers and Iwobi in — the rest the same as your line up above.

Excellent PM Chas.

We have had a Post Master hidden in the closet for far too long, I really happy you have decided to go public.

Rasp, I read the team meeting was only the players getting their concerns aired – all good in my opinion.

Hi GN5, I heard the story that it was a very difficult meeting and some players were in tears.

21. fred1266 says:

I think we could definitely judge lacazette since he was basically part of the problem

I’m at work … is this correct 76% possession and 1 nil down?

23. fred1266 says:

Hmm took dunk out my fantasy side since assumed we would actually win

Now 6 points on my bench smh

24. fatgingergooner says:

All over the place. Again.

Defensive weakness by any chance???

26. fatgingergooner says:

Our CM is a mess without Ramsey.

Hmmm … maybe we need a quality DM?

73% possession now 🙄

29. fatgingergooner says:

Possession not our problem Rasp. It’s a team totally lacking in confidence and therefore not willing to try a forward pass that’s the issue. We just go to side until we get towards their box then just lose it.

No movement, no tempo, no one willing to take a risk in case the fans groan. We’ve seen it all before.

……………… Brighton ……. Arsenal
    Possession ……….30% …….70%
    Goal attempts ….. 6 ………. 2
    Shots on target…. 3 ………. 0

31. fatgingergooner says:

We’ve been bad at times in the last few years, but this is a new low.

Absolutely pathetic from every single player.

We are dreadful.

32. fatgingergooner says:

Ref not helping. He’s giving them everything.

FGG, possession has been our problem for a very long time. We place way too much emphasis on it. Most of our ‘possession’ is meaningless and doesn’t threaten the opposition’s goal. Our style of football, reliance on passing stats and criminal neglect for the art of defending is what has put us in this position.

34. This is sooooooo bad 😦

35. Thanks for the PM chas, well done.

Oh shit.

Thanks for the pist Chas.

37. fatgingergooner says:

That’s not the issues I’m watching here Rasp. I’m seeing CB’s with nobody to pass to. Nobody wants the ball, nobody is moving, and everyone has forgotten how to play football. Schoolboy errors from seasoned players. We can moan at Wenger all day, but it’s not his fault when a CB misplaces a 5 yard pass and the GK flaps at a corner.

Having said that, if these errors all stem from the current lack of confidence and direction, then he is adding to the problem.

At last, a goal, and before half time. COYRRG pick yourselves up and fight back

39. fatgingergooner says:

Weird thing is, it only takes a spark for us to get somewhere near where we need to be. Could that goal be it?

I agree FGG. Confidence can be measured by players’ movement and willingness to show for the ball. The fact that our possession translates into so few shots on goal is the meaningless part. If players ahead don’t show for the ball then we pass it backwards or sideways.

41. Definitely forgotten how to play football fgg

Gonna whisper it but Chambers is doing ok …….. a bit scary at times cos I think he’s too far forward but he seems to be in control of himself, can’t say the same for Koscielny 😦

42. No-one showing for throw-ins which is always annoying

43. Remembered how to play once we scored

44. fatgingergooner says:

We don’t want the break.

Probably come out half asleep like we normally do.

45. fatgingergooner says:

Pessimism aside, we are a team who just needs to flick a switch and suddenly look very good. Hopefully the boys come out fighting, get an equaliser, and start playing like the Harlem Globetrotters!

46. Badly need a new goalkeeper 😦 😦 😦

“He is worth 10 points a season” they said.

No one said it was for the opposition.

From his PL debut Cech has cost us points. And I don’t think I can say he has made many saves that I wouldn’t back other keepers in the league to make. To me the only reason to have signed Cech was to have a season trying to mentor Szczesny to try and get him to use the most of his attributes and perhaps sort his head out. But he went on loan and we have just had to witness the decline of Cech.

49. fred1266 says:

Ozil passing crappy

Ok back
    Yikes
    Come onnnnn

There are definitely better keepers than him out there now GIE but I feel our defensive woes for many seasons have been 10% keeper and 90% everything else including the types of CD’s we are looking at, the types of DCM’s we look at and our general coaching and tactics. Even if we had the best keeper in the world right now we wiuld remain amongst the poorest in goals against from the big sides.

52. fatgingergooner says:

That injury stoppage hasn’t helped us at all.

GB, I’m a big fan of Kozzer but he’s coming to the end of the road having put his body on the line heroicly for us for many seasons. I’d prioritize a new keeper and 2 big strong CBs as a must sign for this summer.

54. fatgingergooner says:

Need Özil on the ball.

Agreed Rasp. Kos doesnt have a full season in him anymore. Chambers and holding are not at that level yet and Mustaffi is a squad player at the higher level.

56. fatgingergooner says:

Don’t feel like a goals coming.

Can’t play 40 minutes like we did and expect too much. Better second half.

57. fatgingergooner says:

How much more of Arsene’s Arsenal do I have to witness?

Bored of it.

58. What do we have to lose by pumping balls into the box?

59. Another massive massive loss 😦

60. fatgingergooner says:

7 minutes added on.

We spend 3 minutes passing about at the back!

61. fatgingergooner says:

Is it Peaches, but how bad a sign is it when you’re not even that bothered and you half expect it!?

He’s got to go. What’s the point of carrying this on?

62. It’s unbelievable isn’t it fgg ……… I’m surprised that even Jack wasn’t pushing play forward in those last minutes.

Bit too prophetic from Chas

Done over by Propper, Dunk and Bong

64. fatgingergooner says:

I feel like the players have given it up Peaches.

They will be a totally different side in the EL, I guarantee it. They have nothing to play for in the PL and a lot of the game just felt like going through the motions as they knocked the ball from side to side with nobody really busting a gut to get a result.

65. It’s just so sad what this bunch of players have become ……… with our front line we should be scoring goals????? Obviously it’s not that shocking because of what’s gone before.

My massive massive loss comment was because the commentator said it was a massive massive win for Brighton.

66. Ok, so if they’re not bothered to try in Premier league games then we don’t bother to watch them? How are they going to be a team that turns up against AC Milan if they can’t be bothered against Brighton?

That’s not The Arsenal …… that’s just pathetic.

67. I’ll rant to myself then ……… where’s the chocolate

68. fatgingergooner says:

The commentators were waiting for that loss from the first minute. They couldn’t wait. I actually meant to write ‘it is’ and not ‘is it’ so I was actually agreeing with you Peaches, but the fact is it wasn’t really a shock! That is a bad state of affairs.

I don’t really see the point of this continuing. Even if we somehow win the EL, we will only crumble again when the going gets tough and the confidence drops. The style of play we have (if we have one!) relies on confidence and tempo, and when we have neither it just falls apart.

We need a manager who understands what it takes to play the game in 2018, as Wenger doesn’t seem to. It’s not about pretty triangles on the ball, it’s about energy, workrate and speed. 3 things we lack.

Four EPL losses in a row … that’s another record broken (not in a good way)

No point in stating the obvious. I feel for the players. They’re lost out there. Little leadership on the pitch and even less coming from the technical area.

Peaches, that’s what makes me smile, if we are as shit as intimated them it isn’t a massive win for anyone when they beat us.

GoonerB, whilst I’m not happy with the way we generally defend both todays goals can be put to some extent with Cech. This is talking as a keeper, i nearly always had men on my posts, because that gave me freedom to commit big to crosses, come out shout loud and claim and if I didn’t get there the resultant header was normally so half hearted as the centre forwards thought twice about heading when they knew I was coming, that my post men could easily clear. The only time I didn’t have men on posts was when the opposition had so many aerial threats and a good set ball taker, then I’d crowd the box with players and take my chances on being able to save anything.

The second goal today was a result of a bad pass first, but still Cech should save that every day of the week. Wasn’t powerful enough to beat him as easily as it did.

In the form the team is in at the moment the last thing we need is to concede a sloppy goal after 6 minutes and give ourselves an uphill task away from home and let their crowd get into it. Then to make it twice as hard by gifting another.

A good defence starts from the keeper, a competitive football team starts from the keeper. If you haven’t got confidence I. The keeper then everything else suffers.

71. Thank goodness Sky have switched to City v Chavs

72. fatgingergooner says:

They pick and choose when they are interested, Peaches.

Look at the performances against the other top 6 at home this year and we’ve actually played well with a high workrate. We haven’t always got the result the performance deserved (3-1 United, 3-0 City) but we’ve played at an acceptable level. As soon as we play away or against a poor team we just can’t be arsed and don’t come out with the same intensity. That’s a joke and the manager must take the blame for allowing that to happen.

I’ think you all make good points, from Exile on GK’s to those on defending and so on, but for me, RASP hits the biggest nail on the head when he says:

“Little leadership on the pitch and even less coming from the technical area”

At least no one can claim we were beaten due to Brighton’s greater spending power. If as some have suggested we shouldn’t expect any more from these players (I don’t subscribe to this theory) then we’d have to start playing like a mid table side and get back on the training ground and make bloody sure we get the basics right.

75. wally says:

Peaches, I’d rant with you but there is no point, it’s over and given the quotes coming out of the lockeroom from the players only meeting that they can expect no help from the coaches it’s been over for awhile. No one can say it’s a surprise.
    That’s as damning a statement about wenger that could be made. There is no way back from that. NONE.
    There is no dignified way out. And the sad thing is it could have been avoided. It’s a sad day for everyone.

76. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

I’m not saying this side could win the PL, but with a couple of tweaks and the right appointment we could easily be in the top 4 with this group. There is far more wrong with this club right now than just having a poor squad.

77. fatgingergooner says:

This was a question just asked in the press conference:

Can you turn it around?
    ‘Yes, because I have done it before. It’s the first time I lost so many games on the trot. I believe I can do it.’

Does anybody else believe? Everyone knows we will start winning games again at some point, but that’s not the problem. The issue is how do we go from where we are now to a team that can challenge for titles. That’s a far bigger job and one that Wenger can not achieve.

78. fatgingergooner says:

How good is Sane!?

AW is deluded and no longer acting in the best interests of AFC. I agree he should make positive statements up to the end of the season to try to instil some ‘belief’ in the players … but if he really thinks “seeing out his contract” is the honourable thing to do then he’s wrong.

FGG

Good enough City didn’t bother coming back in for Sanchez 🙂

82. fatgingergooner says:

He seems to justify things by saying it’s the first time it’s happened. That doesn’t make it any better!

We can complain about his stubbornness and his self belief but ultimately those are attributes that probably helped him be successful in the first place. I don’t have an issue with Wenger wanting to stay on and put things right, of course he wants to prove himself against these younger, up and coming managers. Any manager worth their salt would be the same. The problem is who at the club is making the decisions to get rid of him? They are to blame and should be the ones we complain about. They are the ones doing nothing and idly watching by as we slide into mediocrity. At least Wenger is trying. It might not be good enough or what we need, but he’s fucking putting the effort in every day to improve the position. Can the board say the same?

83. neamman says:

First half was as bad as I ever saw them play and my first game was in 1961.

poor Cech, he shouldn’t take all the responsibility for poor defending by his team mates.

85. LBG says:

If you want (really really want) to turn it round, Arsene, you have got to ‘input’ significantly. Input loud and positive change on the training ground. Input minute by minute from the bench in response to the ebb and flow. YOUR/OUR players are lost!! They repeat, repeat the method even though it isn’t working. They do not believe, and we watch you shaking your head equally not believing. Break the circle.

86. fatgingergooner says:

Neamman,

I’m a bit younger than you but still one of the very worst 40 minutes I’ve seen. Not acceptable considering the talent we have these days is far higher than some of the teams of the past.

look guys, it doesn’t matter we lost today. We just have to win on Thursday

FGG, I’m not suggesting he’s not trying … I am stating categorically that it’s not working … and it’s not going to work. His time is over. His problem is he won’t accept that and make way for a younger manager who can connect with these players.

89. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Wenger moaning in the presser about the Thurs/Sun schedule. I can’t imagine that’s going to instill confidence and energy to the team.

LBG is right. If he wants to be the one to turn it around (catalyst for change, if you like 😂😏) then he has to lead from the front and change it up.

90. Gary Neville ripping into Chelsea is quite amusing 😳

fattie – do you honestly think he has not tried changing things already? I am certain he has done all he could, I would never accuse him of not trying hard enough. He simply cannot do it.

92. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

My point was that he is a winner, and is built from stubborn stuff. Can we actually expect a man of that ilk to make that decision, or should it be up to someone else at the club to make the decision for him? I’m in agreement that it won’t change btw.

93. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

That’s part of my point. Of course he’s trying, and of course he will continue to think he’s the man to turn it around. As he said in the presser, ‘he’s done it before’, so surely there comes a time when someone has to make the decision for him? Where’s that person? Who is that person? Why are they doing nothing and hiding behind Wenger? Are they not a large part of the problem? Should they not take some of the flak aswell?

ffs, that’s so sad “Fiorentina captain Davide Astori dies aged 31”

what are you suggesting fattie? that one of us bumps him off?

I am very disappointed after that performance — altho ‘disappointing’ does not do this horrible feeling justice.

AW deserves, and will get, maximum credit from many of us for what he has done since joining Arsenal, and his arrival re-energised and upgraded not just Arsenal, but the whole of the Premier League football ethos.

Part of being honest is also to be truthful and Arsene is culpable on a number of levels — he has bought and stayed loyal to some players who have let us (the fans) down badly. He is not responsible for the slowing of his ability to turn around a failing team — that’s down to age, and his understandable refusal to admit to the failing of the light — for that Ivan and Kroenke are the culprits.

Someone needs to save AW from himself, and should have done so a long time ago, and simply said to him “It’s over, Arsene – time to go – thank you for a wonderful Arsenal career!”

It’s a bit late — but they must do that this summer.

I have just seen a tremendous piece of closing down by Bernardo, who by not giving up when chasing the ball, galvanised other team mates to close down too, and between them got the ball back.

I cannot remember the last time an Arsenal player/team did that — well, maybe Sanchez when he was with us — but he never got much support.

It’s horrible to think we are witnessing the ending of an incredible era, when Arsene brought such pride and entertainment to Arsenal fans.

98. fatgingergooner says:

At least Arsenal tried today. What I’ve seen here from Chelsea is an absolute disgrace yet they won’t get hammered anywhere near the way we did. They are just walking around.

What you have to remember is 11 well paid individuals cross the white line and take the field I’ll never feel sorry for them. They are a select group of individuals, it is not easy to become a professional footballer let alone one who earns £100K+ a week and play in the EPL, but they don’t look like they have had to work to get there.

Now many on here believe that Wenger will read his players the riot act, so if as players you take the pitch and think the manager hasn’t set you up right, why don’t you change it yourself? You are playing Brighton for goodness sake, every player in every position is better than their opponent, Brighton didn’t have to do anything tactically astute to win today, they just had to turn up.

It is good to see Cech taking responsibility, but frankly the other players need to be doing the same. Too many are hiding on the pitch and we literally haven’t got anyone to replace them so they can. The absence of a challenger in many of the positions is leading to a very relaxed team.

Some will blame Wenger, I can see why, but as I have said for the last few seasons, until players start taking some responsibility it won’t matter who the manager is.

100. jjgsol says:

I can see no point in AW going now. No one who comes in will do any better.

There has to be something better than just passing the ball around in front of a massed defence.

How are we going to manage against Milan with only Welbeck as a striker?

I have never understood the logic in selling Giroud, only to give him a better chance to play in the World Cup.

I reckon he would have done a better job against the Brighton defence.

Perhaps, just as Sanchez put in reduced effort, so might Giroud have done, so it may be better to get rid of an unhappy player than to expect him to give full effort, no matter how much he is paid.

Howdee Exile

If the pattern of non-turning up is, as you say repeating itself, it is 100% the manager’s fault for sending out the offending players across that white line who do the reoffending.

Having said that, one can’t blame Wenger. He wants the job.

So if the manager is consistently at fault, then it’s the bloke who employed him’s fault

102. fatgingergooner says:

I see a divided team at the moment. Not in a toxic way, but a way that some will be blaming others for results. The forward players must look at the defence and be wondering how they are supposed to get positive results and perform when they are 2 or 3 goals down after half an hour and the opposition have 10 behind the ball because of that. In the same way the GK and defence must be wondering how they are supposed to keep clean sheets when they are often overrun and have very little protection in front.

I look at the centre of our midfield and feel a lot of our problems start from there. We don’t play through there anymore and often our passing is side to side rather than through midfield. When we do try it’s often sloppy or over/under hit passes. We also don’t defend well in there with runners allowed to get through too easily and a lack of concentration. Wenger has had some fantastic midfield partnerships in the past but right now it’s possibly the worst it’s ever been. Ramsey has energy but not sure he suits the system, Wilshere flatters to deceive at times, Xhaka has been woeful, and Elneny doesn’t offer enough. I think we need a total overhaul in there otherwise we are going to have the same problems again, even if we do get new CB’s and a GK.

The sad thing for me is that none of us are getting too upset over this ….. the overriding emotion is wearied acceptance. Absolutely there is no point in making managerial changes now. Hopefully the departure when it happens will be orchestrated in a way to honour Arsene’s great achievements.

As regards the players’ responsibility compared to that of the manager. You can’t expect individual players to decide on their own individual style of play or the tactics …. that has to come from the manager …. otherwise why have one. There has to be a clear vision of what is achievable with the players available. Those players have to be schooled in that system and take to the pitch knowing exactly what is expected of them. Add those things together and you have ‘a team’. We are not a good team, and the manager is no longer able to motivate our players to form a cohesive team unit.

Good point Micky. Presumably in the structure of the Company, Gazidis is Arsene’s boss …. a man who earns 3 times as much as him and wields more power than him. I see little chance of the Board doing anything other than backing AW. That leaves Stan … hmmm … nah. There is a faint hope that his son, who is more involved in the day to day running of the club, could have the acumen to bring change.

105. fatgingergooner says:

I look at someone like Doucoure at Watford who’s been fantastic at both ends of the field for them. He’s exactly the type of player we need.

106. VP of Oz says:

Roger Bannister, runner of first sub-four-minute mile, dies aged 88

Ok Rasp, that’s it

Dear Josh,
    Didit here…………

Did you read the second link Micky? The one that reported how dreadfully Josh’s sports franchises in the US are faring? 😣

No, sorry Rasp, I never click links on this device

Security reasons. I break the rules only for v important stuff with clearly important and relevant data encrypted. Like igB iTts and shit like that 🙂

Ok these following comments may be unpopular, but they need considering, they partly follow on from FGG and my discussions on spending.

Do you remember when AW used to be criticised for having a pay structure based on similar wages across the board, it was in his view a way of engineering team harmony.

Do you remember when we had two good players in every position, maybe not world class but good nonetheless. It was never good enough for our fans and someone at the club decided to change that.

Does anyone else think the breaking of that model is causing any of the issues we see today.

As Jigsol says we have lost a good striker in Giroud, one who knew the EPL, one who most fans liked, and who his teammates knew one who was probably on a lot less money than PEA. Now PEA may become a great striker for us, but the last thing we needed during January transfer window was big movements in the squad. There is no time to get to know each other’s movement between games, Jack burst through and played a little pass to PEA who had turned and was looking for a different pass, that’s just one example. PEA likes to run on back of defenders, if the defenders are on the 18yd box that’s no good to us.

We have had to lose Coquelin, Giroud, Theo and Alexis in order to afford Ozil’s extension, and get PEA and Mikhi in.

Personally I would have let Alexis go pay it to Ozil and stuck with everyone else.

We also lost Gibbs and brought in Kolasniac, my guess Gibbs was on a fairly good salary and Kolasniac is less money.

Whoever is in charge of this dramatic change in transfer and spending policy should be held to account. If that’s Wenger so be it.

I don’t know why the LGB comment at 4.41 hasn’t been taken down to be used for tomorrow’s post?

The clock wasn’t working, it needed to be fixed or at least attempted. The Aub – Mhyk purchases made a great deal of sense considering their past connections etc.
    I still like Wenger’s fighting talk about turning it around but as one of his staunchest supporters I look at him and wonder how.

113. wally says:

The notion that wenger can fix this is absolutely laughable, it’s not rational thinking. If he could have fixed it he would have done so ages ago. This is not a new situation that has materialized out of nowhere. This steady decline has been going on for quite some time now. Players have been asking to leave for several years now. Ox and Sanchez are only the latest in a long line. And it’s not for more money is it. They’ve gone to teams that are doing better than we are, that are winning or where they have a chance to win.
    Put the bottle down and leave it there, don’t touch it again.

When the players are saying the coaches can’t help them it’s OVER, FINISHED, DONE.

114. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

The Gibbs example isn’t a good one as Kolasinac came in on a free transfer and therefore his wages are far higher than Gibbs (£150k a week apparently!).

There has definitely been a switch in wages. It appears we have decided to go away from the equal pay scale for all and moved onto the ‘elite’ players getting the big bucks with the rest of the squad made up of youngsters and squad players to balance it out i.e. Instead of 25 players getting £100k, have 5 elite players on £200k, 10 on £100k, 10 on £50k.

On another note, when was the last time Wenger really improved a player. Recent signings have all come in with big prospects and gone backwards. It’s scary to see our last 4 or 5 windows and consider how many of these players have improved:-

Gabriel
    Asano
    Xhaka
    Kolasinac
    Lacazette
    Aubameyang
    Mkhitaryan

I would say maybe 1 or 2 of these have improved, the rest have gone backwards or it’s too early to judge.

Ok Chas

Here’s a Plan B. In light of the end being nigh for Arsenal with the inevitable relegation, the chances of us playing Brighton on JAM Day next December are zero

I’ll get tickets today and we go to Brighton, beer, watch Brighton at AMEX Stadium, beer, fish ‘n chips in Quadraphenia chippy, beer, drugs on beech, JAM, sick.

Exactly

Concorde2 🙂

The beach stash 🙂

You got it

Oh, and you picked up on my spelling too. 🙂

Just for info, Concorde used to be up on top of the arches, and about ten years ago moved below into one of the arches becoming Concorde2, so now right on the beach. Superb

Ah, the evidence

I put this up the other day but it seems such an accurate visual metaphor for watching Arsenal play away that here it is again. Volume on.

fattie at 12:05 – omg, that is scary

124. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Pretty much all stats on the playing side show the club in decline. Losses, Points, away form, chances created, goals conceded etc etc. Then you look at the players and make judgements on them and it’s exactly the same there as well. The manager has to leave at the end of the season. Can we afford another year of this decline in the small hope that he can somehow get more from this group?

The problem then is, who do we get in and how the hell do they go about fixing the problem? It’s an ageing squad in key areas with no backbone and no leaders. Whoever comes in they need to be someone witj excellent man-management skills. The players need a shock but they also need someone who can instill confidence.

I know, I know. I am scared of Wenger leaving, I am petrified he might stay.
    But matters are getting worse. I think that once the players get into the losing low morale mode there is no hope. The blame will be passed from one to the other, in the end they won’t give a shit.

Wenger cannot stop it, he will always be blamed for is happening to the club. There needs to be someone else, with fresh pair of eyes and lungs to shout if necessary

I see other managers going mad with the players, Wenger attacks the 4th official, ,what is the point of that??

Most AAers go on (and on and on) about financial doping. Yes, it is hard to disagree with the fact that no other team can match City’s spending, BUT City were not half as good as they are now before Pep. HE, THE MANAGER made them into the most entertaining successful team in the history of EPL.

It is not just money. I am happy to use it as an excuse, but deep down I know that I am fooling myself, blaming ‘financial dopine’, referring, injuries, diving, chillean dogs and Jack’s pugs. All bollix, we have enough money to play better than Brighton.

I am suppose to go to the Watford game on Sunday, I think I will not bother

quick quick before chas notices…supposed to.

about sheep – cows love swimming and are rather good at it, sheep hate water.
    Dogs love toasts with honey, but will not touch jams. Why?

The hard men in a team? The CB’s

Our first choice pair? Must and Kos

Earlier in the season, Must made a howler and 5 mins later went off because he was so sad

Last week Kos summons a players meeting to rally the troops. He had to stop because he began to cry

Anyone else see a problem? 🙂

130. fatgingergooner says:

We are buying players though Eddie, and we are spending money, but we are going backwards. Is it the players who aren’t good enough? Or is it the manager failing to get the best out of them?

Over the last couple of seasons you could argue we’ve sacked the players and stuck by Wenger (how many are left from a few years ago?). Maybe it’s time to try the other way and see if someone else can get more from this group.

131. fatgingergooner says:

Yes Micky, the manager should be sacked for allowing his players to cry! 😂

micky – that’s just one of the problems
    fattie – agree, new manager would buy his own players and start building new team. It is going to take time, but at least there’d be hope. As things are I have lost all the hope.

look – I didn’t renew my silver membership, peaches missed games this season, even the Vines are drinking less. Fans are seriously angry or at the very least disappointed. The club is in serious trouble.

133. fatgingergooner says:

Things will improve Eddie. It’s bad at the moment but it’s never as good or as bad as is made out. A couple of victories and suddenly it will feel a little bit better. Even if Wenger does carry on next season, it will be his last and change is coming. Fans will flock to see the new look Arsenal so it will be a season at most with this crap that’s going on right now, and it’s not like we will lose every game and be relegated is it!?

NEW POST