Mkhitaryan free to play at Liberty Stadium?

This season the only consistent aspect of the team is it’s inconsistency. Our away record is awful – we have yet to win away in 2018 and have won just 3 games on the road (out of 12). Had we won the same as Rubbish Spurs, we would be in 3rd place a point behind MU.

With the change in Swansea’s fortunes since Carvalhal’s arrival, Arsenal’s task looks difficult. Liverpool went there on the back of beating City and lost without scoring; we could easily do the same.

But we won’t, will we?

A full squad, apart from OG, Welbz and Santi, means Mr Wenger can experiment with a system to include Mkhitayran (henceforth HM or Miki). Will Miki find form, can he be the replacement, is he as good as Mesut, can they play together, is he another Wilshire, can he play a defensive role and replace Xhaka, is he good in the air , can he recapture his BVB form etc etc? Whatever the answers, he is an exciting prospect.

Whilst lauding recent Swansea form, it must be remembered that they sit bottom of the PL with a minus 20 goal difference – we should get something from the game. An early goal will force Swansea to attack and not PTB which is their usual tactic. We have to be careful at set plays and of the counter.attack but this is a team who have scored just 7 goals at home so far this season (from 12 games) – they are not an attacking threat, so I would load the team with attackers …

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin    Mustafi    Koscielny    Monreal

Wilshire   Xhaka    Mkik

Iwobi    Ozil

Lacazette

Yes –  the Famous Xmas Tree Formation (FXTF). With the total absence of wingers in our squad (can you remember us ever being winger-less?) other systems will have to be employed.

Should be an exciting 48 hours.

COYRRG

138 Responses to Mkhitaryan free to play at Liberty Stadium?

1. Red Arnie says:

Sorry, knot ear, but back on matchday. Thank you Raddy. 🙂 brilliant as usual.

Look forward to a good game and a good reuslt. and maybe the sight of Makhi. 🙂 COYG.

2. fred1266 says:

any news about Mesut contract yet

3. RC78 says:

Same formation but El Neny in for Iwobi

Cech – Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal – Xhaka , El Neny, Wilshere – Miky, Ozil – Lacaz

Still hoping we don’t tell Giroud…Let us sell Wellbeck for 30 Mln to the Chav or even better sell Wellbeck to Dortmund so we can frustrate the Chavs…

4. RC78 says:

If we want to play it safe – start Giroud ahead of Lacaz

Thanks Raddy, a new player always wants to make his mark in the first game. I expect Miki to provide a couple of ‘out of your seat’ moments with outrageous skill or rampaging runs. We’ve won every game since the DBM left … we need to keep the winning momentum going … we will win tonight

and finally got there at 8:07

crafty little dog 🙂

Thank you Raddy, I forgot we have a game tonight!! How lovely 🙂

-20 goal difference ha ha ha

the full managerial name is: Carlos Augusto Soares da Costa Faria Carvalhal, Mkhitayran is a doddle by comparison

8. Red Arnie says:

I note, with a chuckle, the only consistent aspect of our team. 🙂 glorious, no?

9. Red Arnie says:

and a belated wow to GN5. 🙂

Thanks Erik

Yip, early goal needed or The Swans could do that awful thing of ‘keeping it tight’. Urgh

…..Back four
    Rambo Granit Jack
    ..Mesut und Miki
    ………Laca

11. Red Arnie says:

and to the author of teh mystery post, and to the kick off to old cowshed. 🙂

Morning all,

Cheers Raddy, It will be very interesting to see how and where Miki fits into the team and what overall effect he has. Much is expected of him so the reality may well be a disappointment.

The transfer possibilities are mouth watering – but typical Arsenal it’s left until the fast minute to seal the deal.

13. RC78 says:

– Moura to join Totteham – you will see, he is very skilled player and hard worker

– Rumor has it that Giroud is off to either Monaco, Chelsea or Dortmund – I hope it does not materialize

Cheers, BR.
    I’m hoping we can derive some impetus from the signing of Mkhitaryan.

Big win tonight, me thinks.
    Sneaky win by the odd goal, I reckon.
    Nil nil banker is my prediction.

I found this…….

“When I came first to Dortmund Jurgen Klopp said, ‘Listen, Mkhitaryan, it’s your family name, it’s too long,'” Mkhitaryan told the BBC World Service, as per Manchester Evening News.

“‘So Henrikh, it’s too long. Let’s call you Micki. Are you okay?’ I said, ‘Okay, no problem.’ And since that day they started calling me Micki.”

… multiple reports of Auba being on a plane London bound …

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang travelling to London for Arsenal talks
    By Sky Sports News

Last Updated: 30/01/18 1:39pm

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has left Dortmund Airport in a private jet heading for London, Sky Sports News understands.

Arsenal have agreed a deal worth around £60m with Borussia Dortmund for the 28-year-old striker, who is expected to arrive at the Gunners’ training ground on Tuesday afternoon.

While Dortmund have agreed a fee, Sky sources understand they will not let Aubameyang go until they find a replacement.

There are numerous pictures of a man covering his head in a black hoodie at Dortmund airport. I’m sure Chas will post one.

Just got through arrivals.

is this a real photo of him in the white fucking outfit?? No way, the legs are too skinny for a footballer

“Arsenal transfer news: Gooners would rather lose Welbeck than Giroud in Aubameyang deal”

too right

hector 🙂 he is one dude!

thanks chas, you put me off the Auba geezer permanently. Who dresses like that????!!!!! I hate him. Did you ever see Thierry dress like a twat?

22. fred1266 says:

I read somewhere that Chelsea allowed us to get cech so we should be vex with selling to them since we will be getting a much better player in return

Unlike United who always sell us shit playees

23. fred1266 says:

The cats wood be jealous

fred – they stole cashley hole, they owe us big. Not to mention several trophies that would have been ours if not for dirty rubels

Arsenal fans turn out in force to welcome Auba to London Colney.

aaaahh our Tel, so handsome

Them legs though.

ha ha ha, no, that t-shirt is not the best idea
    But he never wore a flipping white fur coat and white trousers

yeah, great legs. Even in jeans you can see the muscles 🙂

did you like photos of Bambi progressing on the settee? He knows he is not allowed, so he checks if I am looking, head first, front paws and then pretending he doesn’t see me there hop and he is instantly fast asleep 🙂 he does this routinely still hoping to fool me

32. Eddie
    My cat, Sam, does much the same.
    When I vacate my computer chair to make a cuppa, I return to find Sam curled up in the chair. He pretends to be fast asleep, but he has one eye slightly open. Crafty.

I go to the kitchen to bring back an uncomfortable chair for myself.
    Too soft by half, that’s me.

——————————

No way is the pic of Aubergine at “Arrivals”.
    Pic on wall…

Big Al
    You’re going to tell me Mesut didn’t fly the plane either, aren’t you.

pheeww thank god it’s a spoof. I’d hate an Arsenal player dressing like a front bottom

Big Al – ha ha ha ha, I move over to make space for my animals on the sofa 🙂

Big Al & Eddie. I do the same thing. Sneak onto Mrs R’s side of the sofa and pretend to be asleep. Never works.

🙂 🙂 I think one of our senior bloggers is enjoying tugging at a few strings …. yesterday’s post was decidedly ‘t in c’. Either Auba is a quick change artist or those pics are historical

raddy 🙂 🙂

38. Red Arnie says:

now, which strings would those be? I wonder! 🙂

Looks like Giroud is Chelsea’s 😦 😦

What I want to know is how will it be AW’s fault if we don’t get PEA because Dortmund can’t find a replacement?

Thanks for the read BR

If you add the money for Giroud, the ox and theo, that more or less buys Auba … and his wages must be less than their three combined … Sad to see the FP go … but good business all the same.

… so leaving some wage money to offer Ozil a bigger pay packet …. win, win, win

The idea of Giroud going to Chelsea is hilarious.

LB …. and if we buy him, will AW get the credit … or will it be the new guys we’ve brought into the management recently?

45. fatgingergooner says:

Hmmm, I wonder which league has all the money?

Crazy end to the window in store tomorrow. As long as Aubameyang ends up an Arsenal player I don’t care about the rest, and that includes Giroud going to Chelsea. Well, I care a little bit, but it’s Aubameyang ffs!

Be typical of Dortmund to pull the plug!

Mahrez to City now they’ve missed out on Sanchez. Will cost them £60-£70m I imagine, plus wages. Why not go for Sanchez?

My prediction is that Conte is gone in the summer and Abramovic will give the new manager 2-300m to buy a new forward line

47. fatgingergooner says:

V Swansea - Football tactics and formations

Wouldn’t be totally surprised is Mkhitaryan was on the bench though and Iwobi started. I think Wenger would rather introduce Mkhi at home.

48. Piers Something says:
    “Giroud’s a good player & has never given Arsenal anything less than 100% commitment.
    But if selling him is the key to signing a top class striker like Aubameyang, I’ll drive him to Chelsea myself.”

All over the web now! –
    Giroud deal is going ahead… 18m.

—————–

Rasp – totally agree. Conte’s as good as gone.
    And it’s a well-known “fact”, Abramovic chooses the players to purchase; Conte then plays them.

49. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Surely it’s only a matter of time before Hazard is playing for Real Madrid? Will be a hell of a rebuild if that’s the case. They should get towards £200m for Hazard though so money will be there.

50. fatgingergooner says:

I can’t wait until the summer when we get Reus and Weigl, start playing in yellow, and change our name to Borussia Arsenal.

FGG BVB 😀

If Hazard goes Chelsea have major problems. Apart from Courtois none are world class and they are falling behind MC /MU.

It is a test of whether Abra still is committed to the team. My guess is that having won the CL, he has moved on from the Chavs.

OG & Miki on the bench. JW ill

Team: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Elneny, Xhaka, Ramsey, Iwobi, Ozil, Laca

the medical at Arsenal shouldn’t be a problem for PEA. Welbeck, van Judas and jack passed

54. fred1266 says:

So why giroud being bought and Bats going on loan,

Thanks Raddy. Need a good win tonight. Don’t want a damp squid with dropped points just as we are getting all excited about new recruits, so COYRRG’s

With Aube coming in, (surely must happen now), then we have an embarrassment of riches to shape a top attacking team with probably 2-3 excellent combination options with the midfield and up front.

I would not read too much into tonight’s line up with Miki just arriving and Jack ill but once Aube is in and settled then we will get an idea of what Arsene considers his best team. Now more than ever we will find out if AW still knows how to set up a top side from the excellent players he has available.

I still harbour a (guilty) feelings that he will not get it right and still feel he will over cram the side full of ACM and B2B CM’s. I think AMN and Lacazette may become the victims of this, but possibly even Jack. I would love us to let loose with 2 excellent strikers together and then pick the right midfield combination behind them.

Will be interesting to see which way Arsene goes. Two strikers together and a more specialised HM, or 1 striker and 5 ACM / B2B midfielder combination. I would prefer the former but think he will opt for the latter.

56. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

Last year it was the 3 at the back that dominated. This year it’s Pep and his use of full backs. Maybe next year people will look at Wenger playing 2 up front with a midfield full of playmakers and that will be the answer!

Looks as though there has been a touch of rain in Swansea

20 minutes gone and Fabianski has yet to touch the ball.

Playing across the back is fine but can’t we just try and attack?

Iwobi is having a mare. Come on man, get grip.

What a brilliant pass from Mesut and a terrific finish.

Get in.

How typical, we score and then concede within 2 minutes … will our training staff ever pick up on these repeated patterns …. we switch off after we score!!!

Rubbish from Xhaka and perhaps Koscielny.

Xhaka’s position must be under threat, this happens too often.

Feeling lonely on the settee

Raddy as it is not on mainstream TV here I think you are the only one here watching it. Can I ask if you feel Lacazette is getting much support alongside him or does he look a tad isolated again with 2 defenders on him?

I have felt for a while that the types of players we utilise behind that 1 striker are happier in deeper positions more often than not and don’t get up next to Lacazette quick enough or often enough like Sane and Sterling do at City. Just be interested if you had noticed any trend with this?

speak for yourself GB
    watching, disgusted, on hd streaming

lucky it is not 4 nil

65. fatgingergooner says:

Defensively dreadful from Xhaka. He looks at Clucas and just stands still whilst he runs past him into our box. I don’t care what anyone tells me, there is no way he has ever been a HM player. He just doesn’t see danger at all.

GB. Lacazette has been completely anonymous, hardly touching the ball. Ozil continually looks for him to find space but as yet, Laca has struggled. We have hardly any movement upfront.

Xhaka and Iwobi have been dreadful. Elneny, Monreal and Ozil playing well but the others struggling. Bellerin not getting decent service and we are rarely getting behind the defence. On the one occasion when Ozil bent a ball behind them, Monreal scored.

We are being outplayed by the bottom team in the PL. They are faster to the second ball, more dynamic, more organised in defence and overall comfortable. We have been crap.

FGG. Xhaka needs some time on the beach.

Sounds great Raddy 🙂

Have felt a bit sorry for Lacazette recently as I think he is starting to get some criticism but I don’t really feel it is his fault. I think our preferred set up this season gives him little support in the early to mid phase of build up play and he is left isolated with at least 2 defenders marking him. There doesn’t seem to be anyone to help pull some of those defenders away from him and give him some space to operate in.

Playing him with Aubemayeng up top would likely resolve this but will AW tweak his preferred system with 1 striker to give it a go?

Are we missing Jack?

PLay like we did in the first half and we will lose this.

Something has to change. Elneny should go DM, Xhaka subbed for anyone, Iwobi off for Miki

It’s funny you say that Raddy, the stats say we’ve had 72% possession. My greatest hope is the AW’s successor is not such an advocate of possession for possession’s sake. Stats are misleading, passing percentage never won a game

I know he scores the odd screamer and has a decent left foot and passing range a lot of the time but I am afraid that the harsh analysis is that Xhaka is a back up player at this level and only a regular 1st team starter at a level below. We just have better options.

If he is a player that AW personally identified and selected though we may have a slight problem because I think it takes him a long while to hold up his hands and admit this with players he has personally identified.

Budge up
    Apols so late

Ooo dear, just scanned first half comments

That is just atrocious.

76. fatgingergooner says:

Do we have time to purchase another 6 players?

77. fatgingergooner says:

May aswell not have a manager or strikers if we are going to do stuff like that. Terrible

Rasp. Much of our possession is passing it across the back line,. We have been awful so far and those who have not been able to watch are the lucky ones.

Really feel for Monreal who has been consistently excellent this season.

We are showing relegation form 😦

74%possession … losing 2:1 …. new manager required

Raddy, I’ve been ranting about our passing across the back line and slowness to get the ball forward for ages, we make sure the opposition have time to get back into their defensive shape …. it is all Arsène Wenger, it’s his flawed and outdated mmethos

3:1 …. apparently Aubameyang has been seen re-boarding the plane and heading back to Dortmund 🙄

84. fatgingergooner says:

Buying Messi wouldn’t help this lot.

We really are deluded aren’t we? Talking about buying players and this getting better then play like this horse shit. What a waste of time.

12 games at home Swansea have scored 7, it shows our problems that they score 3 tonight.

Swansea deserved the win. We were simply appalling.

PEA will be having second thoughts after seeing that rubbish, and AW should be considering his position.

Forest, Bournemouth, Swansea. I think it may call for a Mugabe Lockdown.

Arsenal:
    75%possession
    9 shots, 1 goal

Swansea:
    25% possession,
    12 shots, 3 goals

No hiding, our style of football is not effective

88. fatgingergooner says:

It’s going to be a long painful end to the season. Another 15 pointless league games to go. We are a joke at times.

Surely we’ll have the savvy to prioritise the EL now ….

90. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Style is a strong word Rasp. Do we even have one? Is knocking it around the defence a ‘style’? I think it’s fair to say that Wilshere was missed tonight.

Didn’t see the match -luckily by the look of it.
    Can anyone knock up some ratings?
    Maybe channel some frustration.

Suddenly I can’t really see the point of the Auba transfer.

Sadly Chas, he may be thinking the same thing

93. fatgingergooner says:

Thought I was going to enjoy the PEA signing but that’s just ruined it. Waste of time.

Our results this season
    P 37
    W 20
    D 8
    L 9

Our results in last 3 months
    P 22
    W 9
    D 7
    L 6

Dreadful. Wenger will have to save himself with cups again because we are getting worse year on year in the PL at the moment.

94. fatgingergooner says:

9 teams in the league have conceded less than us, including bottom of the league West Brom, yet we are busy wheeling and dealing for attacking players whilst selling off Coquelin without a replacement. I think we’ve done good business, but the summer can’t come soon enough as we all know (except our manager) that the real issues in this side are defensive ones.

Not even watching the game but basing opinion on comments from those that are and linking it with what is the norm with us.

Cech will obviously get some criticism and probably deservedly so, but he is too easy as a target to put this down to. There may now be some slightly better keepers out there but if anything he has still saved our bacon many times this season so overall our main issues do not lie with him.

Once again I see no dedicated DM in a more specialist sense, or what I would term a holding midfielder. Wenger obviously doesn’t believe in them and is obviously bloody wrong.

Also these players he likes operating between the defence and the striker don’t seem to contain those 1-2 players that will get up and support the striker regularly either, so we effectively have a collection of players (5) that like to occupy that position of not really defending but not really getting further forwards either and just hang around near each other moving the ball around in a nothing way.

When oh when will Arsene Wenger realise that his Utopian samey samey all style but no substance midfielders that he seems to love so dearly, and collects like an arctic squirrel collecting nuts in September, is crappy and just does not work.

We have 3 players in the squad who are top players with a license to roam in midfield, and should be accommodated in those positions, in Ozil, Ramsey and Wilshere. We probably only need 2 of these 3 in any starting side.

After this the other players need to be ones that either provide improved cover in front of the back 4 or give us greater threat in attack. Any additions of samey midfielders above the 2 chosen is just a waste and culminates in poor balance and fluidity with neither defensive cohesion and solidity nor support to the front man.

I am so annoyed with Wenger at the moment with his infatuation and refusal to dismiss it, and seeming unwillingness to even try and shake it up a bit a find a better balance in his starting 11. At a time when we should be excited about our TW business I feel as frustrated as ever.

I feel it will not matter who we bring in if he continues with this policy, and feel he has at best a couple of weeks to show that the new players indicates a change in his outlook. If he continues with his preferred style, doesn’t change, and we continue to look crap then he just has to go at the end of the season.

96. fatgingergooner says:

Im just going to have to put our recent form down to a squad which has been massively disrupted by transfer dealings and pray that things pick up after tomorrow.

If I try to figure out why we are actually so shit my head will explode in anger.

97. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger said it’s possible that was Girouds last game but we’ll know more in the morning.

What a way to go out if he leaves.

As I said FGG it is shit because of his love of cramming the team with the same ball playing midfielders and no proper defensive midfielder or extra forward or 2 to support the attack. There are other factors but this is the chief culprit for me.

I can’t put this down to any factor other than Arsene’s same old blind spots.

99. wally says:

Lucky Giroud

It’s all too predictable isn’t it.

Let’s stop making excuses. Let’s believe what our eyes are telling us.

100. oz gunner says:

Dyer keeps forgetting the memo…it’s only goal keepers that save their best form for Arsenal. I feel like every time he plays against us he channels his inner Messi.

@FGG

I feel like we’ve been saying Cech will get 200 clean sheets for months now. We let in some dreadful goals. Absolutely dreadful.

Look lads, it was wet and slippery and our away strip is rubbish

Only a cat in a box can save the day

Hey, that’s our feline fashion version of our own Mr Tescos 🙂

103. fatgingergooner says:

I think once you give away a goal like the one we did last night, it’s very difficult to come back into a match. It was just one of those nights, but that doesn’t excuse the shocking performance upto then though.

I blame Liverpool. If they’d done their job last week then confidence would’ve been low and we would’ve hammered them last night, but instead they go and give Swansea loads of confidence and suddenly they look a decent side.

Yesterday the Dalai Lama (Bald Buddhist) tweeted that patience is a strength not a weakness.

My question: is he a gunner and is he directing that comment towards us? 🙂

Trouble is FGG, it was not one of those nights, it was another one of those nights

I’d make a crap Buddhist

The Dalai Llama was talking about the NHS and you mistyped ‘patients’ as ‘patience’.
    Stands to reason that the more patients you have the bigger your potential client base.

Ooops, the one with glasses is better.

Mind you, I’m quite liking this – you can almost see the wisdom flowing out.

109. fatgingergooner says:

Our away form in the league.

LLDLWLWDDWDLL.

Remaining away fixtures.

Tottenham
    Brighton
    Leicester
    Newcastle
    Man United
    Huddersfield

i couldn’t face the second half. I knew we’d lose.
    I tried buddhism years ago, but had no patience to persevere.

Micky I echo your 7.21. There is a point when patience has to be replaced by hypnotism, extreme brainwashing, and a full frontal lobotomy if one is to be able to continue to just see each game as an unfortunate isolated mishap.

Morning all. Never mind, will just pop off to see if there is any slightly less depressing news….like Trump and North Korea starting world war 3.

112. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

You’re right. Sick of it. We really need to get Özil and Wilshere signed and have a solid last few months of the season.

Problem is, even if that happens we head into next season with Wengers contract situation again, and then I think these lot will be in their last year:

Ramsey
    Welbeck
    Giroud
    Monreal
    Cech
    Ospina
    Debuchy
    Akpom

113. fatgingergooner says:

BILD reporting Özil has signed a new deal after being impressed with the January signings.

If Arsenal announced PEA, Özil and Wilshere together, then I might be 5% less pissed off about last nights shambles!

FGG

Re the remainder of the season. We have now established a reasonable buffer between ourselves in 6th and the Eurodisney spot above us in 5th, so in some respects, it’s job done for the season

We can now relax and come back fresh in August

there are still 13 games to play, we could even win the league. yeah could we feck. Even top 4 seems far away.

The contracts situation is crippling, but there is no other way. Offer longer contracts? Do away with contracts? Pen clauses? Nothing will probably work, The trick must be to able to keep those who a club wants to keep, We are not very good at it

TBH FGG only Ramsey stands out as one you would like tied down

again, speak for yourself GB, I’d be happy to sleep with most of them 🙂

118. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I guess results breed happiness, and right now our contract situation mirrors our form on the pitch. It’s a mess! We need our best players to commit themselves to the team, something we haven’t had for a while. A lot of players have lost faith in Wenger and Arsenal over recent years. I wonder what that tells us?

Eddie 🙂 ha ha

120. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

There’s a lot of experience in that group. You don’t want to lose all that at once. I think Monreal and Cech need to be kept, along with Ramsey. They both have a big influence on our team and should be there to help the next lot come through. Welbeck is in need of a big season if he’s to stay, and the others are probably due to leave anyway.

121. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I’d sleep with them if it made them play better!

I see Arsene is blaming ‘his’ players, for making mistakes …. the same mistakes that ‘his’ players have apparently been making for years now. Do ‘his’ players make the club buy them? Do ‘his’ players run the training sessions and decide on tactics? Maybe he should look in ‘his’ mirror.

Thank goodness for a cat in a box. More entertainment in 5 seconds than AFC gave us in 95 minutes

Anyone in the mood to write a PM?

If no answer in 15 minutes, I will get stuck in

I’ve cobbled together a post from comments etc just to keep the posts ticking over.
    I’ll put it up at 9 in a few minutes.

BR
    See above – I’ve just done one.
    Did you want to add to it?

NEW POST