Get it done please, Ivan

Who would have thought the January transfer window was going to be so busy and exciting?

Coq out, Theo out, Sanchez out – Henrikh in as part of the latter deal.
If we manage to get Pierre-Emerick over the line, then it would be seen as a successful window, surely?
If not, the squad would appear depleted and the pervasive mood one of deflation.

Does the Aubameyang sale depend on Dortmund finding a replacement?

Did BVB initially want Big Ollie as part of the deal but we slapped a ‘Not For Sale’ notice on his beard?  Would you be happy losing our plan B?

In today’s cash-rich footballing world, the difference between 50 million and 60 million seems negligible – is that how Arsenal see it?

We can surely afford to reduce our cash reserves a little so are there any other considerations regarding wage bills?

Do other clubs have these seemingly interminable transfer sagas and we just don’t notice them?

Ivan, bearing in mind we can’t force Dortmund to sell and if it is humanly possible, please don’t allow yourself and Arsenal Football Club to end up with egg on our faces by 11pm on Wednesday.

We can’t even blame Dick Law now.

87 Responses to Get it done please, Ivan

Holy Moly – Big Ollie to the chavs for £35m??!!

OG? No way …

BTW the DB10 vid was excellent. He had that touch so young, never lost it.

oh really? and when I broke the news about OG last week everyone dissed me, psssshhhhhhh

that is just disgusting, the only handsome player and he goes to chavs of all clubs, I am gutted

If Mrs Giroud told Ollie that there was no way she would follow him to live in Dortmund and ruin BD’s plans, it would have been a very sensible decision. After London, it is a complete toilet. Fantastic stadium though.

Micky can confirm this.

Morning all … thanks for the post … mystery author?

We’ll find out about Auba in the next 60 hours … my gut feeling is that the only thing that could stop it is if Dortmund fail to find a replacement …

I’d be very sad to see Ollie go … and even sadder to see him go to the chavs …. but would this mark a C change in our position with the our rivals? … I can’t remember a time in recent years when a top 4 side has paid good money for a player deemed not good enough to start for Arsenal.

Love the pic of Ivan

love the pic of the egg

The post was sent in anonymously from a small island called Koh Samui, so if you want to take someone to task, Big Al, I’d have a look for that girl who was dancing to the Charlie George Calypso. 🙂

“Have I seen Jesus Christ back on Earth?
    No, it’s Charlie lying flat on the Wemberley turf”

11. RC78 says:

-> Aubameyang will most likely arrive
    -> We need to keep Gidoud
    -> Giroud will get plenty of time this season as soon as he is back to fitness. We need his aerial ability and link-up play. He brings more to the team than Wellbeck so if you are going to sell someone, keep OG and sell Wellbeck

Forward options:
    – Aubam, Lacazette, Giroud, Wellbeck

Attacking Mids:
    – Ozil, Miky, Iwobi (:-(), Jeff, MN (he is an attacking mid)

B2B:
    – Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, El Neny

HM:
    – ?

We really need a true HM. I still stick to my guns and say that Monreal should be tested there

Most likely line up when all r fit:
    Cech – Bell, Mus, Kos, Mon – Ram, Xhak, Wil – Miky, Ozil – Aubam

OR:
    Cech – Bell, Mus, Kos, Mon – Miky, Jack, Ram – Ozil – Laca, Aubam

I like the first one better because of balance but AW loves to attack so…

12. RC78 says:

Imagine we get a HM – who would you like to join us?
    Mentioned targets are:
    – Nzonzi and Gueye
    – Seri but he is more of a B2B

I would like us to buy Kondogbia who is on loan at Valencia. Big unit, good in the air and a proper HM

14. RC78 says: “We need to keep Giroud”.
    No we don’t.
    He’s 31 years old. If the 35m “gossip” should actually be true, then it’s a no-brainer”. Excellent price. Plus, Aubam plays as striker/wide.

Btw, Giroud’s missus was the major stumbling block for an Everton move. She loves London; Chelsea is a London club. Ollie’s a wimp: done deal!

RC78 says: “We need a true HM … Monreal should be tested there.”
    No he shouldn’t.
    We’re struggling for top four; now is not the time for “testing”.

15. I would like us to buy a tardis, go back in time, and bring Eddie Kelly forwards to the here-and-now.

Thanks to chilled out in Koh Samui. Also a big thanks to GN5 for his great post but was busy over the weekend.

You are right Al that we just need to get this one done. just checked right now and momentum is gathering for an announcement later today. Obviously the media should not be trusted but there is a lot of smoke now so I am getting a tad excited. It would be so great if we could announce him and contract extensions to Ozil and Wilshere before Tuesdays game there will be a new buzz about the place.

All that would be left is for Arsene to work out his best 1st 11 and who the back-up players are. This balance is more important when considering the midfield and striker combinations and could still be the bit that holds us back if he continues with the policy of trying to get too many of his favourite CM’s into the side and we end up unbalanced in our line up. Top clubs have top players riding the pine so really we shouldn’t worry too much about it.

RC has it right when he lists Jack, Rambo, Xhaka, Elneny as our B2B midfielders and then a big question mark for the HM position. We have too many B2B midfielders and are top heavy to the tune of at least 1. I really want to see AMN tried at HM, rather than bring someone else in, as I think he could be the answer, but Wenger has to just play him there or we will never know. If we want a more physical player in that position then I think we can play one of our more technical (on the ball) CD’s in there. Chambers has looked decent there in the past.

If Aube comes in then I feel all the following wouldn’t be in the best starting 11 for me; Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny, Giroud, Welbeck. Ramsey I would be least worried about because he is a close second to Jack at the moment and will get a lot of playing time what with injuries and resting players e.t.c. The others may find they get less playing time if we play our strongest team when we can, and that may result in some departures to get more playing time somewhere else. So be it. This is just part of modern football at a big club.

Ooo, it sounds like Batshitcrazy, the chavs forward is part of the merry-go-round.

Auba —> the Gunners
    Big Ollie —> the chavs
    Batshitcrazy —> Dortmund.

19. RC78 says:

– Big R – Kondogbia doing well in Valencia indeed

– Big Al – You would rather have Wellbeck than Giroud? I can’t see why…For 35 Mln Pounds – it would be a good sale but we would lose out in quality

– Big Al – we are still testing where Chambers should play :-p

– Apparently Vidal is available as Bayern have signed Goretzka

batshitcrazy 🙂
    how much is changing hands?

Ollie for £35m
    PEA for £60m
    and Batshitcrazy?

21. Confusion GB.

It’s not my post.
    It’s not signed off (again), so I assume it’s a Chas post.

are we going to boo Ollie? I am not asking you DidIt

23. RC78
    “Big Al – You would rather have Wellbeck than Giroud?”

Did I say that? I don’t think so.

GB. Jack is doing well but IMO, Ramsey is the heart of the team and if fit, has to play.

Chambers will have a big future at AFC though it was strange that he could have been sold in summer – if the rumours were true. He looks a better prospect than Holding.

25. fred1266 says:

Is PEA signed yet

Eddie. No way will he get booed. Nor will Theo

I will punch anyone in the face who boos Ollie 😦

Raddy, surely in that case, we have to play Jack and Rambo and Xhaka sits on the bench?

Raddy and Rasp – good. Both Theo and Ollie did their time and their best.

Can Auba play in the EL?

31. fatgingergooner says:

Sigurdssoncost Everton north of £40m. VVD cost Liverpool £75m.

For £55m we are getting a world class ST who in the last 2 and half seasons has this record:

League
    Games 75(4)
    Goals 69

Europe
    Games 23(2)
    Goals 19

In this market that is an unbelievable bit of business if we can get it done.

Yes, we need to strengthen other areas, but we have the summer to do that. Right now we need to replace Sanchez and Walcott and we couldn’t have realistically done any better IMO. They get a lot of shit at Arsenal on the transfer front but these last 2 deals would both be outstanding business, so fair play. Also, let’s not forget the young Greek lad who is making waves. The new look transfer team have got off to a very good start.

Cmon, Ivan, make him a Gunner.

34. Big Raddy

“Chambers will have a big future at AFC”.
    I hope his future at AFC ends in May, 2018.

We had defensive problems when Arsene was ready to offload Chambers. More problems (mainly injuries) since and that’s why he’s still here.

Could you possibly envisage him playing for any other top six club?
    Personally, not on my nelly.

Raddy, I think Ramsey in the team instead of Jack we will have to disagree on. I like Ramsey a lot and feel he is an excellent all action midfielder, but I think Jack compliments the other ACM’s better. I feel he and Ozil have a great understanding when working in tandem and read each others movement really well.

Also I feel Jack is better than Ramsey at receiving and bringing the ball out from deep. Jack’s transition from that area of the pitch to bring the ball forward is better than Ramsey’s (who I often feel gets caught more). He seems to have a greater awareness of opposition players around him and when to turn and go forwards and when to pass. As such he will provide better support for the defence and HM looking to release the ball.

My leaning towards Jack over Ramsey is not because I prefer one over the other per se, and I do like Ramsey’s all action style but feel it has its weaknesses as well in certain set ups. It is because I feel Jack gives us a better chance of playing a front 2 and still keep Ozil and Miki as AM’s in behind them. Ramsey will not come as often into the deeper positions and would unbalance us a bit in that set up. In another set up it would be fine but I really want us to get Auba, Laca, Miki and Ozil all on the pitch together in our best 1st 11 and feel the combination works better with Jack over Rambo with those other players.

Ramsey can easily play instead of Miki or if we play with 1 striker with an extra ACM so should still be a regular main 1st teamer anyway across a season but not quite our 1st 11 in the biggest games if everyone is fit.

Probably a moot point anyway Raddy as I don’t expect AW to sacrifice Ramsey or Xhaka and will try and horn them in. I see already he is talking potentially about playing Miki out of position and feels he could be a B2B midfielder. So that is 5 of them we have now 🙂 In reality I think he will not play a specialist HM and it will cost us.

Sorry Al, I take back all my thanks for your phantom post and instead offer it to the mysterychas guest poster 🙂

37. Fred
    Sorry for delay…
    NO, we haven’t yet signed PEA.

Thanks for post ?

Oi, steady Eddie, I wouldn’t boo Ollie or Theo. Sad Ollie may be off? No. So long as a better player comes in.

Erik. Dortmund toilet. Copy that 🙂

How much did we get for Theo? Huge amount off the wage bill as well.

C’mon everybody (as Eddie Cochran once said), who else would put a ridiculous photo of Gazidis with a fried egg on his head in a post apart from me.

I’m not going to put my name on posts just so’s Big Al can have a go at me. Uck that for a game of soldiers. 😊

41. Great post, Chas.
    Love the egg… hilarious!!

oh dear, chas has a man crush, look at his gravatar

chas. Thank you for the regular supply of posts in recent time. Much apprecitaed.

Big All. We will have to disagree about Chambers. He is only just 23 (last week( and has already played for England. To become a top defender takes experience, very, very few are TA6.

Micky. Theo 20m + 35m for Ox + 12m for Coq and a chunk of change for OG.

We will be quids in and have improved the squad (if all goes to plan)

Ok, thanks Erik. That’s some very good business there, especially when you factor in offloading the Walcott weekly envelope

47. fatgingergooner says:

Don’t mind Giroud going if we’ve get Auba, but will certainly be tinged with sadness. Will be unhappy if we let Chelsea get hold of him aswell.

Giroud did a fantastic job for us in a very difficult period. He got as much grief as Gervinho at times but he showed just how strong a character he is to play through it and score over 100 goals for us. A fantastic achievement for an old fashioned CF who was playing at the wrong time. I still maintain that if he was playing 30 years ago he’d have been one of the best. He was burdened with playing 40+ games a season for us due to a real lack of quality back up (Bendtner, Chamakh, Sanogo, Park etc) so it’s no surprise he looked tired and had dips in form, but he never complained and the fact he managed those games despite his battling style of play is testament to his fitness and attitude. A quality Arsenal striker who will be missed if he leaves.

Chas, 6.39 🙂 Walk it in son, walk it in…

FGG, Despite saying for years that we needed a different striker to Giroud as 1st choice to lead the line, I second your thoughts on him. He has been a great servant and really useful player, despite not quite being absolute top drawer. He felt like an Arsenal player that was committed, and one you could like.

Do you share my worries FGG that even if we do well in this TW, ending up with a stronger group of players to choose from to give us an improved 1st 11, that we will still have problems with no HM in place and players covering in positions that are not best suited to their strengths?

Or have I just become a pessimistic future predicting miscreant of little faith, and am worrying about nothing and Arsene will get it nailed on with the line up and balance in the team?

PEA’s in the bag, good bye dear Ollie

51. fred1266 says:

Why don’t we sell welbeck and keep giroud

52. wally says:

All this to and fro with bodies in and out? All this turnover? This isn’t the wenger way is it. That’s the good news.
    If I was a betting man i’d have money down that he’s no longer involved in these things. He’s just a passenger. I’d bet he’s just keeping the seat warm until Sanelhi arrives, gets his bearings with sven and ivan and then we can start moving forward again.

News seems to be going about that we have accepted £15m for Ollie from Chelsea. Sounds too low for me if selling to a direct London rival. Will have to wait and see.

54. RC78 says:

Fred – exactly! Let us get rid of Wellbeck instead of Giroud

Both Ramsey and Jack can play as long as we get a good DM/HM.

I think we would be more solid as a 4321 with
    -Ramsey – RECRUIT – Wilshere
    —— —Miky———–Ozil
    —————–Aubam——————

Bench from mid onwards:
    AMN, Xhaka, El Neny, Iwobi, Lacaz, Giroud

If we got Vidal, Nzonzi or Gueye – we are sorted from mid up

We would still need a RB and a CB but that could wait till this summer I suppose together with a huge bid for OBLAK to replace Cech

Ramsey and Jack would create in mid and they can pull their socks off defensively if asked to. Ozil and Miky are very creative and Aubam likes to make the perfect runs – I think we would score for fun

55. fatgingergooner says:

The GIroud transfer is a tough one because if we make it too difficult for Chelsea then does Batshuayi move to Dortmund? That seems to be the way it’s going to happen and we all want PEA. Can’t forget that Giroud is 31 and a half and we’ve probably had his best years, so £15-£20m would be fair price I’d say. I’d rather he go to Dortmund directly but if they don’t want him then the last thing we want is for them to hold onto PEA because they can’t find a replacement. Also, is he really going to play that much for Chelsea, and is he really going to strengthen them? It’s always sad to see our players at rival clubs but this only going to increase with all the players wanting to stay in the PL.

56. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t see how we can lose Welbeck and keep Giroud after we’ve just let 2 of our quicker forwards leave in Sanchez and Walcott. To lose Welbeck aswell would leave us lacking pace. Also Welbeck is younger and can play on the wing aswell as upfront, so has an advantage over Giroud. This is probably the last chance to sell Giroud for reasonable money, and the player seems to want to move to get games, so it makes sense in a lot of ways.

No doubt Giroud has been the better striker for us upto now, but given his age in comparison to Welbeck it’s very possible that Welbeck will have more to offer in the next few years.

This is also a chance for Wenger to change the way we play. Our style has suffered over the last few years and maybe Wenger is ready to ditch the big CF and play with either 2 up top or with far more pace in the side.

57. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

Regardless of who we end up with on Thursday, I wouldn’t worry too much about what we see over the next few months. There are still big holes in the squad (RWB cover, HM, CB) and we will probably see some square pegs in round holes until the end of the season. In the summer though we will have the opportunity to plug any gaps that still remain and that’s when the squad will need to be judged. I personally believe that we will see a new CB in the summer as Koscielny is deteriorating fitness-wise, Chambers and Holding don’t seem to be developing as quickly as we need, and we are losing a lot of experience in Merts. We might even see Mavropanos brought in soon and it will be interesting to see how he does. I think the HM position will be filled by a youngster (AMN most likely) and a RWB will be bought.

The signings fill me with hope that Wenger is looking to alter our style a bit with more pace being preferred to just tippy tappy technique. Maybe he’s watched City and Liverpool and seen how we could change.

I dont believe Wenger is controlling transfers as much, but no doubt he’s still the one requesting the names, so it will be interesting to see what he does with this group and who he looks to sign.

If we don’t sign Özil and Wilshere though then this could still fall to pieces.

Raddy and FGG. Agree with all of that from the potential scenario of Giroud going to Chelsea to start the merry go round and the good business sense in the money we get relative to age. Only thing is FGG i dont see us having to have square pegs in round holes. Only if we choose to.

59. oz gunner says:

Sad to see Giroud go but as others have said it’s the last time we will get good money for him. Plus at 31 he is past his prime (especially for Arsene).

It also means the end of our plan B (bang it in long or send in crosses late in the game in hope that a tall CF will win the aerial duel). I can’t remember a time where we haven’t had that (Adebayor, Bendy, Chamahk, Giroud).

Having PEA and Lacazette does make me very happy.

60. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

If we want our best 11 players on the field then I think it’s inevitable that some will be asked to do things slightly outside of their natural game. It’s very difficult to come up with a team that includes JW, AR, HM, MÖ, PEA and AL whilst being solid defensively.

61. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

On paper that looks great, but we all know that there will be times where we end up looking like this:

Having said that I don’t see why with that much attacking quality we shouldn’t play that team against some of the PTB sides. It’s upto Wenger to ensure that when we do play a decent team that he adjusts and brings in more solid players and maybe that’s when 3 at the back and a HM player becomes relevant.

62. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

Not sure those links have worked!

63. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

(Sorry for messing up the comments everyone!)

🤞

This was supposed to be the 10.20pm:

Arsenal 11 - Football tactics and formations

These were from the 10.27

Arsenal Attacking - Football tactics and formations

Arsenal 343 - Football tactics and formations

64. RC78 says:

No disrespect to Wellbeck but he is not as good as Giroud
    He works hard for the team and he has pace, sure

BUT he is no way near Giroud in terms of work ethics, goals and assists and he does not have the same ability to play with his back to the goal

If anything – we should propose Wellbeck to Dortmund and frustrate the Chavs

Cech – Bellerin, Mus, Kos, Monreal – Rambo, RECRUIT, Jack – Miky, Ozil – Aubameyang

Ospina – Debuchy, Holding, BFG, Koli – AMN, Xhaka, El Neny, Iwobi – Giroud, Lacazette

Now – this looks ok and could look good if we get a good HM

66. RC78 says:

I dont think we should get caught up with age – look at what Pirlo did and look at what Ibra did as well. Giroud is a great squad player and he has proved it time and again for us.

I suppose they could work FGG but I don’t always feel that having a better player out of position is superior to a lesser player (in a one to one comparison) more suited to a position. It is a tactic I feel we have repeatedly succumbed to in recent years to our detriment.

The first one is closest to the one I like best. AMN isn’t at the regular level of Jack or Rambo just yet in a one to one comparison, but I feel an AMN with Jack or AMN with Rambo trumps Jack with Rambo due to the combination being more complimentary.

Out of those I think the AMN and Jack combination looks the most balanced in all senses. Ramsey could replace Mesut, Miki or even Jack at any time, or come in as an extra CM if we drop to 1 striker for a tougher away fixture.

We are going to find out anyway and I look forward to it. It will be interesting to observe AW’s managerial skills in trying to get these players working effectively together. The performances and results could be telling.

68. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

If AMN does come in to the team, as I hope he does, then we are going to see a shift to a much more mobile outfit than before. We’ve suffered from a lack of pace down the spine for a while now with the likes of Giroud, Cazorla, Arteta and Merts getting games, but we could see a real upgrade on that front shortly.

The energy, pace and movement of this sort of line up is more in line with what City are doing right now:

Arsenal pace - Football tactics and formations

I agree that’s it Wilshere who gets that CM role right now, but with Ramsey in there it adds even more energy and workrate.

69. fatgingergooner says:

Giroud for David Luiz?

I’d certainly give it some thought. HM or CB role? We need to strengthen those areas and he’s been very good for Chelsea since he’s come back. Doubt it will happen though.

70. fatgingergooner says:

Balague tweeted that we rejected a £20m offer from Chelsea for Giroud. No further contact since then.

….apparently.

I’d be really rather cross if PEA didn’t come because of any baulkage from Chelsea over our Ollie transfer demands

Love all the graphics representing “I WILL shoehorn all my attacking players in”

Quite right too 🙂

4-4-2 seems the way forward, though I am more in favour of the WM formation of yesteryear.

£20M for a reserve in a side sitting 6th in the league seems quite a lot of money to me

Anyway, biggest breaking news, we have a game tonight

That we do and an opportunity to see our new toy

Looking through Newsnow trying to find a link to say the fucker has signed

Hooray for the Chas motning offerings

fred – we tried selling Welbeck but no club wants him

very funny vids this morning 🙂 cat 🙂

Eddie. That is not true about Welbeck, AW said he wants to keep him.

I like the man but not the player – he flatters to deceive. Hard worker, good team player, pacy but not enough end product and at his age he will not get better.

raddy – I never said it was true 🙂 but at the same token, have you heard of anyone wanting Welbeck? No. Exactly !

There is a New Post