Things We Learned from the last 6 days

1. There is a vast gap in quality between the first team and the reserves
  2. JW may not be the solution to Xhaka’s inconsistencies
  3. The team which beat Everton is capable of great things.
  4. Neither Sanchez nor Ozil should be sold in January
  5. We have defensive frailties (nothing new).
  6. We still need a proper DM, Coquelin is not good enough.
  7. Elneny has less pace than BFG.
  8. We have “mental strength” despite rumours to the contrary.
  9. There is potential amongst the youth team but no-one is ready for the first team (where is The Jeff?)
  10. Dreams can come true. Has any debut in AFC history equalled that of Eddie?

There is much more but time forbids

written by Big Raddy

38 Responses to Things We Learned from the last 6 days

Thanks, BR.

Apparently Jeff got injured playing for the u23s last week. He doesn’t seem to have much luck.

Here are a few photos of Eddie which I liked.

Cool celebration. (Coquelin’s assist for the first goal was excellent – he obviously enjoyed it 😆 )

Such a magnificent header for someone who’s only 5′ 9″ (according to Transfermrkt anyway).

From the other side….

He seems so relaxed in this – maybe joining in with the ‘Eddie’ chant as his index fingers are dancing. 🙂

2. fred1266 says:

H guys I think have a quick question coming coming on November 26, but just realized I would be arriving in gatwick at 8:40 and the game is at 2:00 will I have enough time to reach the game that day

3. fred1266 says:

Forget Jeff where is akpom

Great stuff thank you Raddy.

I agree with all but one of your points … I don’t see Jack as a replacement for Xhaka, we need a proper top quality DM for that. Jack needs runners to feed the ball to and I’m afraid Giroud is not one of those. Also I wonder how many times those players had played together as a team before?

If Ozil leaves at the end of the season, Iwobi and Jack will both fancy themselves to fill his boots (if that is even possible), so massive incentive to up their game.

As far as Eddie is concerned, the boy has attitude and confidence … I want to see that in a striker. I particularly liked the way he pushed people away when they tried to invade his goal celebration.

I just noticed we made 4 subs last night.
    I checked and it’s a new thing in the Carabao but only if it goes to extra time. (Still only 3 allowed in the first 90 mins)

Fred. Yes, you will easily have time to get to Emirates from Gatwick before 14.00.

Allowing an hour in the airport from landing, you could get the 10.00 train to Kings Cross and then tube to the ground. You will arrive @ 11.45

chas. Whilst watching I was confused by the subs – the danish commentators didn’t even notice. Apparently we are under investigation for using two subs in extra time.

Sounds a bit like press bollocks, BR. (surprisingly enough)

The following is from this link………..

Rule 10.2 of the Carabao Cup regulations states: “Where any match goes to extra time (in accordance with the provisions of Rules 14.4, 14.5 and/or 14.6), then subject to the League having obtained the prior approval of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to the application of this Rule, each Club participating in that match will be permitted to use an additional substitute (in extra time only).”

In the last round of the competition, Bournemouth made two substitutes in extra time to take their total for the game to four, while Leeds made all four of their changes in this period in the same game.

It has been trialled in several competitions over the past 12 months, starting with the Club World Cup also including several UEFA and FIFA competitions, as well as the FA Cup and EFL knockout matches.

The very first time a fourth substitute was used, during Real Madrid’s 4-2 Club World Cup final win over Kashima Antlers in December 2006, both clubs made multiple extra-time changes.

Madrid made only one sub in normal time, an then introduced a further three substitutes in the additional period with Alvaro Morata becoming the first-ever fourth sub. Antlers made two subs during the 90 minutes, and a further two in extra time.

9. fatgingergooner says:

BR,

The subs thing doesn’t make sense. So are they now saying if you don’t use your initial 3 subs before ET then you lose them? Sounds like a nothing story to me.

As for what we are learning, that will come in a couple of weeks when we play City and Spurs back to back

Eddie Nketiah stars for Arsenal: Who is Norwich’s cup conqueror?

Last Updated: 25/10/17 10:04am

Eddie Nketiah was Arsenal’s two-goal hero in the Carabao Cup win over Norwich

Arsenal fans have a new hero in Eddie Nketiah but who is the young Carabao Cup star?

Arsenal were heading for Carabao Cup defeat at home to Championship side Norwich City before his intervention. The teenager came off the bench late on and equalised within 15 seconds to take the game into extra time.

Not content with that, Nketiah went on to secure a 2-1 win for the Gunners with his 96th-minute header.
    Tottenham v West Ham

The 18-year-old forward was not even born when Arsene Wenger took over as Arsenal manager and had played just one minute of senior football prior to Tuesday night but he now has Arsenal supporters abuzz about his potential. So, who exactly is Eddie Nketiah?
    Highlights of Arsenal’s Carabao Cup fourth-round win over Norwich
    Chelsea roots

Arsenal signed up Nketiah after he was released by Chelsea in the summer of 2015. The youngster had been on the Blues’ books since he was spotted playing for his local team in south London as a nine-year-old, but the Gunners were quick to pounce when he was told he would not be offered a scholarship.

Nketiah was invited to train with Arsenal just a few days after Chelsea confirmed his release, and their youth coaches liked what they saw. Within a week, Nketiah accepted a scholarship from Arsenal. He’s been rising through the ranks ever since.

Nketiah is a quick and skilful frontman who is known for his clever runs in behind opposition defences.

Wenger put him in the squad for the recent third-round tie against Doncaster, praising Nketiah back then. “I like the quality of Eddie’s movement, the quality of the areas he gets into, his strength, his determination to finish things off and his work rate as well,” said the Arsenal boss.

Arsene Wenger hailed the impact of teenager Nketiah on Tuesday

That assessment echoed the player’s own assessment of his game. “My game is mainly pace, movement and finishing,” he said in March, before prophetically adding: “I have also worked on my heading.” That has paid off in spectacular fashion for Wenger’s side.

Of course, Nketiah goalscoring prowess is nothing new to those at the club as he has been doing it for the past two years. He was Arsenal Under-18s top scorer with 24 goals in 28 appearances in the 2015/16 season and passed the 20-goal mark again for the various age-group sides last term.

Future prospects

Nketiah was given his first professional contract in September of last year and confirmed his development with a place on Arsenal’s pre-season tour in the summer. His first taste of first-team action came in the 4-2 Europa League win against BATE Borisov last month.

With much of the focus on the big names who want to leave the club, this was a reminder that there are youngsters at Arsenal eager to impress if given the chance. Nketiah will now be hoping to be involved in the quarter-finals. His team would not be there without him.

Who are the Kashima Antlers and why were they in the Club World Cup Finals?

12. chas mobile says:

The Kashima Antlers are to be found on the Caribou.

I’d never heard of them either – so here the the low down courtesy of Wiki

Kashima Antlers (鹿島アントラーズ Kashima Antorāzu) are a Japanese professional association football club playing in the J1 League with financial backing from the Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal.

Antlers is derived from the city name, Kashima, which literally means “deer island”.

Since the J. League’s creation and introduction of professional Japanese football in 1993, Kashima have proved by far Japan’s most successful club team, having won the J. League title a record eight times, the J. League Cup a record six times and the Emperor’s Cup five times for an unprecedented total of nineteen major domestic titles. Kashima have finished in the top five of the league for over seventy percent of all seasons played to date, recorded an average end of season league placing of third and captured a major domestic title in over sixty percent of all seasons played to date.

Kashima are the current J. League Champions, and are also one of only two teams to have competed in Japan’s top flight of professional football every year since its inception (the other being Yokohama F. Marinos).

14. fred1266 says:

Hi BR the day in question is an away game at burnley so not sure how much time needed from London to burnley

15. fred1266 says:

Antlers from the assian league

16. chas mobile says:

Have you got a ticket, Frederico, as they will be hard to come by?
    The allocation is 2500 and at the moment ticket buying windows have been specified down to 30+ away credits.
    Ant and me have 14 away credits to give you an idea of scarcity.

Fred I just checked Google maps and it look like you will be disappointed. By road it’s 5.5 hours from Gatwick to Burnley and 4.75 hours by underground and rail.

But as Chas has pointed our tickets are very hard to get.

Holy Shit.
    When this bollix was posted on Twitter I assumed it was a pisstake.
    Turns out it’s for real. FFS

You can even get an exclusive hoodie signed by Robbie, DT and Troopz for a measly £55.

Beware really bad language.
    Don’t read if offended by bad words.

20. fred1266 says:

How come so much of you all haven’t heard of Antlers does Nobody hear play fifa

21. fred1266 says:

No Chas mobile don’t have tickets as yet that why am asking cause I wonder even if to try to get since am not sure if I would even arrive in time

22. fred1266 says:

Didn’t realize away tickets so hard

23. fred1266 says:

O thanks guess as we on tickets will Manchester tickets the next week be hard to get

24. fred1266 says:

So hoping to see huddersfield, Manchester and Bate games

Good luck Fred I really hope that you get to see the team play.

26. fred1266 says:

Also hope to meet a few of u also

Fred
    All three are on sale now.
    I’d imagine Huddersfield and Bate may not sell out.
    Man U probably will at some point but, even then you may still be able to get tickets on the Exchange with your Arsenal membership.

Ooops, misinformation.
    Huddersfield and Man U not yet available to red members.

Great stuff BR

I am afraid I agree with it all so no controversy from me.

The one I learnt last night was that Elneny is slower than BFG, that was a bit of a surprise.

I am someone who turns up and watches the games quietly which is exactly what I was doing last night until Giroud had a chance to roll it to Eddie who would have been through for his hat trick and I got to tell you I was up screaming at Giroud play it, play it.

A great fun and a very uplifting evening.

Micky

When I said I had to finish my tea last evening: that was a cup of tea; I still had plenty of time to eat my dinner before making my way to the ground 🙂

LB. Stop gloating 🙂

Very clever of Poch to deliberately throw the Caribou cup so that they can concentrate on more important comps.

chas. True.

And they shut the whole of the upper tier so that Spurs fans wouldn’t have to bother witnessing it.
    Clever.