The Seagulls fly into The Emirates

Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. were founded in 1901 and started playing in the Southern League where they won the 1910 FA Charity Shield, which at that time was contested by the champions of the Southern League, and the Football League Champions.

The 1910 FA Charity Shield was the third Charity Shield. The match was played on 5 September 1910 between 1909–10 Football League winners Aston Villa and 1909–10 Southern League champions Brighton and Hove Albion. The match was played at Stamford Bridge, London, and ended with a 1–0 win for Brighton and Hove Albion. The goal was scored by Charlie Webb, an amateur, with 18 minutes of play remaining.

Poor management brought them close to relegation from the Football League to the Conference which they narrowly avoided in 1997 and 1998. A takeover saved them from liquidation, and following successive promotions they returned to the second tier of English football in 2002, from then on playing in the second and third tiers of English football until the conclusion of the 2016–17 season, where the club earned promotion to the Premier League for the first time in their history, marking an end to a 34-year absence from the top flight.

In December 2008 – after 12 seasons without a permanent home the building of their current home The Falmer Stadium started. On 31 May 2011 the club officially completed the handover and was given the keys to the stadium with an initial capacity of 22,374 seats, which has since been increased to 30,750. They are nicknamed The Seagulls or simply Albion.

We have only played 8 league games against Albion, all in Division 1.

Here is our record.

I cannot see anything but a victory for the good guys regardless of our team, it seems that Koscielny is doubtful and Ozil, Coquelin & Welbeck are out and many of the viable alternatives played in Belarus on Thursday – so it’s a real guessing game – but here is my stab in the dark.

Keep the FAITH – we will win.

Written by GunnerN5

101 Responses to The Seagulls fly into The Emirates

Cheers, GN5.

Five nil would put us fourth (temporarily at least), so put your money on a boring 0-0 stalemate. 🙂

Is everyone revved up for the international break?
    It seems so long since the last one.

Thank you GN5. Great work.

Prefer to see Jack than Theo as he’d be more likely to unlock the Brighton defence.

Big fan of the gulls in the pic, Chas 🙂

Big day in Catalonia

7:18 I guess that’s The Leader of the free world……marvellous 🙂 🙂

Great work GN5, thank you. It’s a rare thing, I’ve taken Sunday off work to see the game …. so no less than 5 nil suffice 😀

7. Zee says:

Well done GN5.

That was interesting info about Brighton, as I certainly did not know any of it.

I never like to make predictions even just for the hell of joining in – they often seem to jinx the expected result — not that I am superstitious – but as the Rasper is geared up to watch the game, I will for his sake simply say that if we do not win – asses should be kicked and I am prepared to be the kicker!. 😀

Stab in the dark? Hmmmmm, you’re getting good at this……….

9. Jjgsol says:

I think it would be an ideal opportunity to play Jack in the no 10 role.

With Theo there is no one to provide the passes.

Maybe 2 full games on 3 days is a risk.

10. Jjgsol says:

I am sure that if people tried hard enough they will find embarrassing pictures of all world leaders in their younger days, including St. Barak of Obama.

11. Cheers GN5

How’s this for a stat?

Arsenal have not lost a home PL match in the month of October since 2002.

It’s game day – well morning it’s A 7:00am kick off here – breakfast football no less.

Chas has once again added the perfect images to my post – thanks you.

Trump makes a big tit of himself every time he opens his mouth and the balloon image is him in mode.

Looking forward to a big win today – because our goal difference needs help.

From Arsenal.com

33 Cech (c)

16 Holding 20 Mustafi 18 Monreal

24 Bellerin 29 Xhaka 8 Ramsey 31 Kolasinac

17 Iwobi 7 Alexis 9 Lacazette

Bench.

13 Ospina 4 Mertesacker 10 Wilshere 35 Elneny 30 Maitland-Niles
    14 Walcott 12 Giroud

That’s a winning team – but I worry about Holding as he seems to have lost confidence in recent games. Great to see Iwobi back in the starting11,

Our Jack has been very impressive and he’s on the bench today. I really hope he forces his way back into the starting 11 and gets another contract.

Wow, Iwobi back and starting
    What a superb looking team
    Love Brighton. Love Arsenal more. 6-0.

Big Al
    That is an extraordinary stat

GN5
    Agree about Jack, Arsenal man and all that.
    Bench looks so strong and to think there’s no Mesut or Danny either

19. Jjgsol says:

I hope the team are not as over confident and complacent as some of our colleagues here.

Sometimes stats come back to bite us.

20. fred1266 says:

Walcott hatrick

Jigsol

I only said 6-0. Hardly over confident 🙂

Woooooooooow

24. fatgingergooner says:

Not impressed so far.

We are not defending well and giving them far too much time on the ball when they have it. Why we keep backing off and allowing them to run at us in the wide areas is beyond me.

With the ball we are far too slow with nobody coming to the ball to receive it. It’s like we have 4 strikers at times all waiting for the perfect ball with nobody wanting to be the one to pass it.

Need to wake up

25. Zee says:

I am enjoying the game – but like most fans I am on edge whenever Brighton attack.

Our defence is really not very good – is it?

Going forward we are really exciting – but we still do not finish moves with a goal — except for the one by Nacho the defender. 🙂

26. Zee says:

FGG,

We do not seem to believe in pressing when we lose the ball, unlike all the top teams do. Why?

Without Özil or Jack we have no playmaker, and Mustafi and Holding simply keep passing to each other with everyone else stationary. Again, why?

27. fatgingergooner says:

Why is it a wonder ball or a shot every time we get within 30yards. Need to be more patient but with more movement

28. fatgingergooner says:

Wilshere could be key.

THAT WAS A LOVELY GOAL

30. fatgingergooner says:

Now that’s a wonder ball!

31. fatgingergooner says:

So much more movement now. Let’s get another and have some fun in last half hour!

I will call that economical and efficient

33. fatgingergooner says:

Going up a couple of gears for 10 minutes of the game was enough, but the other 80 minutes wasn’t great. Still, going into the International break with 6 wins and a draw in our last 7, and with 13 points having already played Liverpool, Chelsea and Stoke away is not bad really.

People talking about United, but the teams they’ve played currently sit 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 20th. We’ve made a decent start and we’ll find out over Xmas where we can finish this season.

34. RC78 says:

Holding needs to be benched…
    Other than that – good team efforts with some individual brilliance from Sanchez especially. Team needs to work on defending still

I thought Holding did OK. I watched Lacazette closely today. He makes runs tirelessly but at the moment doesn’t see that much of the ball. There is no apparent blooming partnership with Sanchez or any other player yet, hopefully that will come in time.

Rasp

Some say Mesut only performs against the minnows at home.

I disagree

More often than not, it’s the minnows at The Ems who have more players behind the ball for more of the time. We do not have a player to touch Mesut in terms of finding those through the keyhole type passes.

37. Aaron says:

Onward and upward!
    Holding looked good today, can’t even remember him putting one bad pass.
    Lacaz drilled that shot, and had that gone in I believe the score would have finished 4 or 5 to nil.
    The other team cam to play defense only except that clever shot from distance and an header late in the game.
    Totally comfortable win.
    Even enjoyed the Bate win.

Both chavs and $h*ty had really important players limp off, who knows-

Arsenal just keep winning.

38. RC78 says:

Holding and Mustafi were not good today and I thought that Xhaka and Ramsey were also poor defensively…to be honest, we conceded a lot of chances.

My man of the match is their keeper though

I think that Lacazette would play really well with Walcott and Ramsey behind him:

—–Xhaka———El Neny
    Walcott – Ramsey – Sanchez
    —————Lacaz—————

39. fred1266 says:

Why Walcott and Ramsey in particular u feel

Fred
    I think RC is simply trying to wind me up 🙂
    N’est-ce pas RC? 🙂

41. LBG says:

Nothing particularly wrong with Holding today. MOM Monreal. Brighton limited until their final substitutions. Jack also capable of Ozil/Santi type ball. Why bring on Walcott, no football brain, or Elneny when we weren’t really under pressure? Arsenal have won by 4 or 5.

Well taking stock after 7 games we sit level with last years Champions, and 1 point behind the “Best Team in England” Spuds and a few more behind both Manx’s.

Well for a club who were written off before the last international break, this international break seems to have arrived with a different tone.

Being able to rest First XI players while we journey round the EL is definitely an advantage, but watching two games today I was also struck by just how that game at Anfield has affected both teams. Liverpool have been nowhere near as effective against teams who do not commit players forward. We have started to look like a team that suddenly understands game management. We are not committing 11 men forward in search of the second, third and more goals, we are content to get a lead and play with patience letting the forward men do most of the chasing for those goals and not committing out from the back line as much (most notably the full backs).

As LBG says would have liked to see Jack get a run out, but guess the fear is he and Ramsey would end up playing in the same hole.

Still can’t quite work out our attacking line up, Alexis seems to hold wider than Welly when he plays, which seems to force Iwobi out right and leave Rambo the hole. But that also seems to mean we are playing 3-4-3, when I think our better formation would be 3-4-1-2, allowing Rambo to sit deeper and attack when needed and Iwobi or Ozil to play true No 10 role with Alexis able to drop in with the no 10, stretch play to either flank or play up with Lacazette.

44. RC78 says:

Liverpool draws – Chelsea loses to City
    We are 6 points behind the Mancky teams – basically we beat them twice and we are back level

45. RC78 says:

Fred / Micky – Lacazette plays well with a guy that plays right behind him and then one that has pace on the wings because he can open space for them and they can open space for him Plus Rambo is best higher up the pitch

Holding and Mustafi were poor for me today and so was Xhaka

I liked Sanchez in the second half and I thought that Koli was not his usual best

46. RC78 says:

Also Ozil s absence is not jeopardizing our balance or ability to create chance so fat

Micky, your comment to me earlier with a quote ….. was not one of mine?

We got the three points today and that is the most important thing. Good that Jack was on the bench, hopefully he’ll get some game time in the EPL soon.

The only point I would make is that at times when our attack slowed, our back 3 were doing the job of the midfield and they were the only players facing the opposition’s goal, the other 7 were ahead of the ball with their back’s to goal.

thank you for the post GN5, I read it top to bottom 🙂 we won, so no complaints from Eddie, but…it was only Brighton and at one stage we looked shaken. It doesn’t take much for us to lose the rhythm, does it

TV pundits had Sanchez as MotM, for me it was Hector, bloody worked his socks off. He is definitely after a move the the Catalania

50. RC78 says:

Rasp – exactly my point and annoyance with Holding, Mustafi and Xhaka especially BUT as I said, the team defensive block was poor

RC78, I wasn’t blaming the defenders for that …. more the midfield

52. RC78 says:

but they should position team defensively

Rasp
    Apols, you misunderstand
    I was referring to your comment about “no apparent blooming partnership”
    I was trying to point out that “some say” …., not you.
    Mesut was the missing link today, although I agree with you and LBG that of the benched options, Jack was the best choice

Night all

Oops … sorry Micky …. I get you. I think the sooner we can learn to play without any wantaway player the better. Jack is one of the few midfielders we have who can play with his back to goal and still move the ball forward constructively

55. Cheers GN5

I enjoyed the game. Admit I have a soft spot for Brighton. It’s a very liberal town. Even the dogs are political, last time there I was attacked by an Alsatian with a leaflet campaign. I had no choice but to agree to the creation of a new dog path and the right of Boxer Dogs to seek employment without the fear of facial discrimination.

We played well in patches, though at times we left the back door open. Not to concerned about that, It was Brighton, so we probably wanted them to feel at home.

Apart from the defence, wasn’t to impressed with the Alexis, Lacassete link up play? The impish Frenchman made some good movements but Alexis seemed to have fallen into an unhealthy, even stalkish love affair with the ball? If I was that balls father I would take out a restraining order on the Chilean, and if I spotted him with a pump, call the police.

Saying that. despite Alexis leather fetish, he’s a great player. He takes to many touches but apart from Lacasette and the balls dad, who cares? When he’s greedy, good things happen.

Overall a good three points.

Beware exceedingly bad language. 😆

It’s a funny old game………

Dat backheel tho

Is that a woman?

Obviously not true – but made me laugh nonetheless.

65. chas mobile says:

Holy shit. It’s as if the whole world is insane.
    Las Vegas.

Morning all, well we’re a lot happier going into this international break than the last thanks to our boys 🙂 …. top marks to Arsene

Oops, that comment didn’t look great following chas’ apocalyptic observation … and yes ..the world is going crazy 😳

This is the type of reporting that drives me crazy – United are 2nd behind Man C and separated by goal differential but the press always seem yo have a need to laud up Man U,

I wrote a post at the beginning of the season pointing out that they had seven easy games to start the season while all other top six teams had games against each other – I can feel the need for another post.

“United sit top of the Premier League table alongside rivals Manchester City on 19 points.”

50 + dead and 200 + injured.

What happens in Las Vegas obviously does not stay in Las Vegas.

You sure stirred up memory bank Chas.

Derek Tapscott was one of my favourite players in the 50’s. I could write a post just about him but I will resist the temptation and simply show this cut and paste from Wiki.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Born in Barry, to Florence and Stanley, Tapscott was one of sixteen children. As a child he began attending High Street Junior School in August 1936 where he remained until leaving school at the age of 14. Having left school, he worked as a delivery boy for a local butcher and later an assistant to a television repairman before becoming an apprentice bricklayer at the age of 16.

In October 1950, he was called up for his national service, joining 4 Training Regiment of the Royal Engineers. Despite this, Tapscott was regularly granted permission to return to South Wales on match weekends to play for Barry Town. Within three months of his conscription, he became a member of the drill staff and was later promoted to Corporal.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………
    He was an Arsenal player from 1953 to 1958 and in 132 games he scored 68 goals from the old inside right position. I must have seen all of his home games at Highbury.

Loved those days…………………….

Bloody hell, no game until Watford on the 14th

What are we going to do?

I suggest a fight 🙂

All topics considered

Well who should we pick a fight with?

Or we could have a contest on who can write the most posts until the next game.

You can have that trophy GN5

I’m not writing for the lazy bastards 🙂

1. Openly provoke another blog and see how that turns out
    2. Attack socialists
    3. Attack supporters of the EU
    4. Set Eddie onto someone

I think the key is to avoid football 🙂

Why don’t you just get Eddie to attack an EU supporting socialist on a another blog Micky and then you don’t need to have 4 separate points.

Some good stuff from Chas today. Love the dog one.

I’ll write a post on all of Trump’s accomplishments as President – as that will be really quick.

On the other hand if I tried to write a post on how many Pinocchio’s he’s told I would not be able to keep up with the endless flow of data.

I’ve got a another idea Eddie should let her dogs loose in her Spuds neighbours garden’s

Or we could publish The Clinton Foundations accounts as released a couple of days ago

That is “like wow” reading

This is going rather well already 🙂

And the winner is –

Get Trump’s tax returns exposed by CNN.

ha ha 🙂

Actually, I’m quite keen on the idea of Eddie’s dogs depositing on the neighbour’s lawns. Filmed, obviously

Then she should dress them up in Gunners kit’s to get the full effect.

The risk is that they could be dog napped and held for ransom.

Not convinced we can keep this up for the duration

I desperately need to come up with a loosely football connected theory

Lads lads lads

Had an idea for a mini series of posts

1. The best Arsenal players NEVER to have won a major trophy with us

2. The worst Arsenal player to HAVE won a major trophy with us

3. The best player for us who then did jack shit after leaving

4. The player who did jackest shitest for us who went on to greater things elsewhere

Wha’d’ya reckon

86. fred1266 says:

3 nasri adebyor comes to mind

I beg your pardon, me dogs are gentlemen and relieve themselves discreetly in the woods. Well, staffie does, pug can be quite disgusting.

now fred ruined at least 2 posts 🙂

it’s going to be tough during the internationals, but at least we will have summer footy.

GN5 – I have mentioned before I don’t like much about America especially the gun laws. I am just surprised that more acts like today’s tragedy don’t happen on regular basis. What are the people saying about it, enough of guns?

Eddie,

The GOP (Grand old Party) in other words the Republicans are supported by huge donations from the NRA (National Rifle Association) basically the gun lovers – the end result is that every common sense legislation that is proposed never gets the votes required to enact and change the law. A new bill that has been proposed by the GOP wants to make it legal to carry hidden guns on ones self in all States. The Democrats under Obama proposed multiple changes to restrict gun purchases and ownership but were shot down by the GOP. Guns can be sold at weekend markets with no restrictions and minimal ID checks.

It’s an out of control situation and with Trump leading the GOP there seems to be no hope of changing the current overly liberal laws.

Eddie,

A terrible after thought on letting your dogs loose in the Spuds gardens was that if caught they may have been subjected to taking the Tottenham Hotspur re-orientation program and would have returned home in an awful condition.

NEW POST

GN5 – dire situation indeed. I cannot possibly imagine living in a country where I could be shot at by someone I upset. I wouldn’t live long, that’s for sure.

My dogs, again – staffie hates footy and all the shouting, he is too sensitive to be a true supporter and pug doesn’t care about anything that wasn’t walking before it ended on his plate.