Now we host the Cherries at the Emirates

Bournemouth FC was founded in 1899, 118 years ago, as Boscombe FC.

They have had 28 different managers in their history including Harry Redknapp; who famously took them to memorable victory over Manchester United in the 1984 FA Cup, Tony Pulis and an ex-Arsenal manager Leslie Knighton.

Their current manager is Eddie Howe who has taken them from League Division Two and now they are enjoying their 3rd season in the Premier League.

Club Honours:

Football League Championship

Champions: 2014–15

Football League One (Division 3)

Champions: 1986–87

Runners-up (2) 1947–48 (Division 3 South), 2012–13 (Division 3)

Football League Two (Division 4)

Runners-up (2): 1970–71, 2009–10

Play-off winners: 2002–03

Promoted: 1981–82

Southern League

Runners-up: 1922–23

Football League Trophy

Winners: 1983–84

Runners-up: 1997–98

Football League Third Division South Cup

Winners: 1945–46

Not much I can say about Bournemouth as our experience is minimal and we’ve only played them on 5 occasions, winning 4 and drawing the other.

Here is that record –

Even in the aftermath of the transfer window I can only foresee a decisive victory.

Written by GunnerN5

55 Responses to Now we host the Cherries at the Emirates

1. Zee says:

Hi GN5,

Sorry I could not get back to you last night to carry on our discussion – which had never really started, of course. 🙂

I understood you meant to highlight the frequently used adjective to describe the media and, as I said, there are many bloggers who believe it is an apt expression.

There is one blog who spend hours on producing Posts and ‘data’ to prove that referees are biased against Arsenal – giving penalties against us that seemed unfair, booking an Arsenal player and not booking an opposition player for a similar offence, and so on.

The problem with that is any club could also produce similar subjective data to prove the case for their clubs too.

It is a way of rationalising some fans’ upset when the team loses, and is a way of excusing the team for being poor by blaming someone or something else.

Ferguson used to channel those sort of sentiments to pull up the drawbridge and adopt the ‘us against the world’ mentality to goad his team on to ‘show the bastards’ we are winners.

Anyway, on to your next Post! 🙂

I know very little about Bournemouth so your data check is very useful — thank you.

Nice

I see these mid-week GN5’s as his little amuses-bouches

A little something to whet the palate, and to remind us that we’re just a few day’s away from injecting real meaning back into our lives.

I always think of Bournemouth in the same way as Eastbourne. For me, old people, for Erik, language schools 🙂

Thanks GN5

Cheers, GN5.
    It’s looking like a MWG already with our dodgy start to the season.
    Micky’s going, too, and he’s never ever seen us not win. 🙂

Maybe Jack with a point to prove will get a game as he’s not been on international duty.

I found this interesting while not agreeing with all of it.
    It maybe raises a few issues for discussion?

Chas
    Not sure at all what you mean by that 🙂

In fact Chas, you’ve now got me thinking

What are the most painful defeats you’ve witnessed live

For me, CL Final and that disgusting Spurs/Gazza semi

7. RC78 says:

1. Micky – CL defeat basically is the one defeat that led to 10 years of misery…Also the 8-2 defeat to Man Utd was horrible to watch

2. We shall win vs Bournemouth but I know it will not be too easy although it should be. Against Bornemouth, I would play a 4-3-1-2 with Sanchez in the hole behind Giroud and Lacazette and play Ramsey – Coq – Xhaka in the middfle of the park. I say that we will win 4-2 with goals from Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott and Wellbeck.

Hmmm, that CL final was absolutely awful.

Losing to the spuds is always bad, though thankfully, we don’t often lose to them at home and I don’t go to SHL.

Galatasary in 2000 sticks out for some reason, the trip was excellent up until the game. We’d had a superb pub crawl in CPH before the match despite all of the aggro and then the team forgot to turn up.

Luton in 1988 was a bastard because we should have pissed it. Birmingham 2011 was definitely a nadir of epic proportions.

Mind you, I hate losing in Finals.
    And semi-finals.
    And to minnows.
    And to anyone really. 🙂

So what about a woman who likes it rough? Hoof it, I guess

They don’t exist in real life, do they?

Morning all. Thanks GN5. I agree with Chas on this as a MWG. I would go further and say it could end up as one of our most important games this season, even this early on.

If we get a convincing win with Sanchez busting a gut and looking committed the positive feeling around the club will flow and it should allow us to move forwards as a confident potential title challenger.

A loss or a draw will likely see Sanchez hanging his head and a lack of confidence seep through the side that will be hard to reverse. The media negativity will increase ten fold as well. There is never a more important time for AW to get his team selection and balance right with no Fcucking around trying to be too clever.

Chas, interesting article. I still like it that we don’t adhere to the madness that engulfs current football. The sport has almost got a dirty feel to it these days, and I like it that we retain some principles in keeping with the traditions of the game. Obviously there has to be some movement with the times though.

I do still believe that we missed our moment a couple of seasons back, as I have indicated before. It seems to me that the club are trying desperately to reclaim lost ground but are finding it hard because we have slipped back somewhat and our image is not as positive. In the fickle world of current football players this is all it takes for players to dismiss us as an excellent club to go to.

Also I still wonder why we went big for Thomas Lemar on the last day of the TW and on a day when he was playing for France in a WC qualifier against Holland. The chances of success were reduced significantly by these factors and, although I don’t agree with the set up of the TW and the internationals and how they clash, we did know about it in advance.

As I say lets get this already very talented squad back on track, keep in contention till the January TW, and then try and be decisive in January with our ins and outs.

Haha Micky…a woman who likes it rough….they tend to favour threesomes with Ryan Shawcross, Charlie Adam and our Terry…if they are a bit older it is Pullis, Alladyce, and our Terry 🙂

Morning all,

I won’t be around to much today it’s my son’s birthday so my wife and myself have lots of preparation work for a surprise party. I’m cooking it’s going to be a traditional English Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding with roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

I have to go grocery shopping and pick up a Black Angus top sirloin roast from the local butcher, about 6/7 lb will do just nicely.

I hope to be able to see pictures of the Ant & Chas road show.

19. Zee says:

Enjoy your roast, GN5, and happy birthday to your son!! 😀

20. Zee says:

GoonerB,

I do not know why it all went down to the wire re Lemar, but follow the money trail and it probably all depended on selling the Ox, and getting the ‘right’ price for Sanchez, and they did not get agreed until the last day or two.

The £95m or so made the Lemar bid comfortable for Arsenal’s owner, I guess, the problem was the player did not want to play for Arsenal, and it seems he wanted to go to ‘Pool with the Ox, otherwise he could have had his medical before or after the French game – maybe he was just not assed.

No taste some people.

Hi Zee, just having a morning cuppa.

Media is but it’s towards maximizing their advertising sales and they have proved that they any trash will be used in order to achieve their goal. In pursuit of their goal they use Arsenal as their football and kick us wherever it suits them.

In the USA they have the far right media of Alex Jones and the Andrew Briebart gang who rule the air waves with their trash talk; they have attracted millions of listeners and created the media mania that put The Trumpet in the White House. Now the whole wide world is on edge wondering when/if the idiot will make the ultimate mistake.

The possibility of an EMP should petrify all humanity!

Zee I read that at the last minute the Monaco manager and Lemar spoke about the transfer and a mutual decision was made that it was not a good time for him to leave.

But the main headline that we read was –

“LEMAR TURNED ARSENAL DOWN”

Which is typical of the way they deride our gunners – feel like a victim you are damned right I do!!

Oops my 12:29 should read “Media is BIASED but”……….

24. Zee says:

You are absolutely correct, GN5, but the Briebarts of the world are a long way from being ‘biased’ — they are right wing purveyors of ‘selective’ news — which is odd considering how often Trump rants against Fake News against him.

Not that I would dream of saying so, myself, but there are perhaps people out there who would mutter – lies, damn lies, all of it is lies – trust me 👌☝️🖖🖐

25. Zee says:

GN5,

There is a programme called The President’s Show, which comes out on Comedy Central, and wonderfully mocks and captures all the President’s reactions and tweets — it is terrific and I particularly enjoy the beautiful portrayal of lapdog Mike Pence.

If you have not caught it yet – give it a try – it will terrify you and make you laugh at the same time.

Of course, all the above might be fake news or media bias!! 😀

26. fred1266 says:

U guys are on fire, another post

27. RC78 says:

A quick review on Lemar:
    – Lemar is an attacking midfielder that plays as a playmaker but slightly positionned to the left side of the midfield;
    – His passing is exquisite in terms of precision and timing but his range can be improved;
    – His movement is also great, always offering options to the person carrying the ball;
    – His pace is not great but his anticipation makes up for it;
    – His physicality needs to improve but he can withstand robust challenges and the potential to grow is there;
    – His areal ability is average;
    – His shooting range is good but not great.

If he comes to us, it is replace Ozil and if goes to Liverpool, it will be to replace Coutinho.

He is an improvement on Iwobi for sure so he represents a good medium-term investment. The best part about him is that he loves playing football and wants to have fun on the pitch. He is grounded as well. Question mark is around his pace and ability to deal with EPL’s physicality – otherwise, in terms of pure skill sets and football brains, he is already there.

28. RC78 says:

Controversial regret of the transfer window:
    – Not making a move for wantaways Matic and Costa

If one of them joined us, I can guarantee you Sanchez would not have considered leaving the club this summer.

Micky 9.16. How did you remember? 😀

RC. Chelsea would never have sold either to us

GN5

A rare question from me, in reference to BR’s 6:18, the reason being that I think you understand the NFL.

Is it correct of me to think that it was quite an achievement, from a franchise owner’s point of view, to move the Rams from St Luis to Los Angeles and that common sense dictates that after such a move that it will take quite some time to get the whole thing up and running on all four cylinders? Or has it been long enough and they should be doing much better.

I might as well do it before someone else does.

Arsenal offered 40 mil plus 1 pound

LB,

Your assumption at 6:43 = 100% correct.
    In this case it’s about long term profit and not short term.

A right and proper offer LB !!!

Yet another media inspired demolition of Arsenal…………….

36. wally says:

LB, Kroenke’s move from St. Louis to LA is simply about money. The move should not have any impact on the product. They stink and have stunk for years now.
    This will be their second year in LA. They have been among the leagues more miserable teams, they haven’t had a winning season in 8 years.
    The NFL is probably the most successful sports league in the world. It’s a license to print money.

Blimey (oh, and morning all) just seen Hurricane Irma pics.

“Yet another media inspired demolition of Arsenal…………….
    And Mbappe was tempted by the idea of working with his compatriot, currently facing an early-season battle to keep Arsenal supporters on side after back-to-back defeats.”

GN5 – Sorry GN5 but I chuckled when I read this 🙂 please don’t get offended, you are keeping this blog alive and I don’t want to upset you. But please, pretty please stop the drama – what demolition of Arsenal?? We had 2 back to back defeats in 3 games this season, the supporters are well pissed off and Mbappe has a compatriot in the team. What where is demolition of Arsenal?

micky – I don’t care. The tragedy of Sierra Leone was barely reported. The anniversary of Princess Diana was front page of every rug for a week, yet the anniversary of WW2 was not even mentioned. I object in strongest possible terms

Eddie. As you say, it is just two defeats. Two games before that we won the FA Cup. Cup half full or empty?

I’m with Eddie

On the news front, of course you are right.

On the Arsenal front, ditto. Never could understand the victim mentality (as I’ve mentioned too many times before, so apols)

Fact is, we cocked up the transfer window chronically and then promptly lost a few games, but it was the nature of how we lost. Players clearly not trying. Out of position etc

I don’t read any UK press or media, so kinda protected, but boy do we give them ammo.

raddy – whose cup?? I just don’t see the dramatic media hatered of Arsenal. Bollicks if you ask me. Had any of other top teams lost 2 games out of 3 media would jump at the story too. Nothing personal.

We won the FA Cup last season, remember? 2 out of 3 games lost this season. One spectacularly.

I love you micky 🙂 It feels reassuring that I am not the only nutter here 🙂

BTW – I went to Princess Diana’s limo drive in London. That was before I started taking anti depressants

Eddie

Nothing new from me. Those are the facts. However, I don’t worry and you can still enjoy The Arsenal.

Morning all. If you listen to supporters from any of the top teams they will tell you that the media have got it in for them … it’s part of supporters’ mentality.

Arsenal supporters seem to have a heavier chip than most on their shoulders … I think this is why:

As a demographic group, Arsenal supporters are more likely to access the media for information than most supporters of other teams. At the peak of blogging there were twice as many dedicated Arsenal sites as any other team. The likes of TS and other stations research shows that a higher percentage of Arsenal fans listen to their stations .. and so they milk that and if you like ‘provoke’ a response because that keeps fans tuning in = the daily Arsenal on TS

I’m with Micky, we also bring a lot of it on ourselves. Our PR is poor. We give them so much ammunition. The £40m +1 …. the constant denials by AW that a player is leaving …. the promises of a war chest that never materialises … the propensity to get muscled out of games by teams that can’t match us playing football …. the 3 or 4 times a season we capitulate to a heavy defeat instead of showing some savvy and shoring up defensively … need I go on?

I mentioned £40 mil +1 above, I thought my position would be obvious but I now see that it needs a bit of explanation.

To me it made complete sense to start the biding for Suarez at that price, it was designed to see if he was interested in moving to THOF if he had then negotiations could have got underway between the two clubs and the figure would have ended a lot higher than 40 mil.

The fact is, as we know, he had eyes for Barcelona, so to me it is a case of if you don’t ask you don’t get.

What seems to have happened since is that some of our fans have used that figure as a stick to beat the club with, my mention of it above was mocking their lack of understanding as I see it.

I realise that LB, you’ve said before. I was making a point. It was still a PR blunder .. it is another example of the club giving the media ammunition … and it didn’t work because Suarez didn’t want to join Arsenal.

LB – with all due respect (shit, I am going to be unpopular today) Suarez didn’t go to Barca till the following season. Had we signed him in 2013, the history of the past 3-4 seasons could have been very different.

Arsenal did not offer £40mil plus 1 pound to start the negotiations, but to overcome the buy-out clause in Suarez’s contract. It was piss taking – “right, so the buy out clause is £40mil and we are offering you a pound extra”. Liverpool took offence and that was the end of any negotiations. Very poor move, that’s not how you play chess – you respect the oppo first and formost

NEW POST