Media maelstrom inspires Arsenal fans

We have just witnessed the biggest “much ado about nothing” period in the history of the Arsenal Football Club. It was ably driven by the usual culprits, the Arsenal hating Media, the fans (those that believe the nonsense they read) and, of course, the “expert pundits” who fuel the fires of discontent.

During the past few days we have seen the worst show of support in my living memory, even going back to the horrendous period between 1953/54 and 1987/88. This was a period during which we only won – 1 League title, 2 FA Cups; I inter City Fairs Cup and I League Cup and zero Charity Shields, only 5 trophies in total over 34 years.

During Arsene Wenger’s 21 seasons in charge we have won 3 League titles, 7 FA cups and 7 Charity Shields a total of 17 trophies in 21 seasons, despite this fact the intensity of criticism is far greater today than I have ever known.

In my opinion it is 100% media created and driven and they are the only winners as our club, our players and potentially our results will all suffer due to the unrealistic expectations that have been created. No other club in England has to endure the amount of negative/destructive press that is directed at Arsenal – why?

Now in the aftermath of the current maelstrom what has actually happened?

Players in –

Sead Kolasinac – Left back.

Alexandre Lacazette – Centre forward.

Players out –

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain – Right midfield (sold)

Wojciech Szczesny – Keeper (sold)

Gabriel Paulista – Centre back (sold)

Kieran Gibbs – Left back (sold)

Yaya Sanogo – Centre Forward (free transfer)

Emiliano Martinez –Keeper (loan)

Carl Jenkinson – Right back (loan)

Lucas Perez- Centre forward (loan)

Joel Campbell – Right wing (loan)

My summation of the window is that I prefer Lacazette to Oxlade and Kolasinac to Gibbs even though they may play in different positions. I liked both Gabriel and Lucas and I’m sorry to see them leave, the others have rarely played and we knew we needed to scale back the size of our squad.

Sanchez and Ozil have still, as expected, not signed new contracts, so nothing changed there – except for a lot of wasted ink.

Now we can look forward to a season where the black flag wavers, the media and a section of attending fans will do their level best to shovel the players/manager/club into the hole they have already dug/created for them.

Written by GunnerN5

69 Responses to Media maelstrom inspires Arsenal fans

Cheers, GN5.

To some extent that transfer window wasn’t that bad at all.
    A couple of decent players in and quite a few shifted to trim the squad.
    To some extent I agree with Gazidis that much of the media whipping up hate against us was in the light of that awful performance at Liverpool.
    The Stoke result didn’t help but football sometimes allows the lesser team to win.

The squad players we lost were Lucas, the Ox, Gabriel and Gibbo. Hopefully the two new boys and some emerging youngsters will make us stronger overall as the season progresses.

Thanks GN5, I completely agree that the media add fuel to the fire of supporters’ discontent and that it is the duty of supporters to do all they can to lift and encourage the team.

What I cannot accept is that all the perceived failings are down to the media …. oh no … the players, the manager, the CEO and the Board have all been guilty of letting the side down.

We have been fed lies (probably by necessity) through the years of paying for the stadium build. We probably only ever intended to break even in terms of ins/outs finances this season. We’ve made spurious enormous offers for players we’ve never intended to sign.

We’ve seen players underperform on the pitch and show a complete lack of heart. We’ve heard AW defend players who really need a rocket, and we’ve continued to overpay mediocre players to the point where we can’t offload them because no other club would be mad enough to match the wages they’ve been soaking up at Arsenal.

None of the above can be expected to engender joy from supporters. There is concern. What we should want to see is supporters tempering and conveying that concern in a way that doesn’t affect performance on the pitch.

Thanks GN5

How crowds, businesses, institutions, individuals or football clubs react to sticky patches is the real test, and no doubt, all concerned with AFC face a test.

Without common resolve, we’re buggered, and there does appear disharmony everywhere you look within the club. Bad noises between players, between some players and manager, while also I can’t believe there is complete harmony between manager, CEO and owner.

I am no fan of meetings between more than two people, but on this occasion I really hope senior players, manager and even Stan (on Skype from the ranch!) have got their heads together.

Let’s face it, we’re two good results away from wondering what all the fuss is about.

Bournemouth at home. Chelsea away. Let’s see where we are.

4. Arthur says:

I agree that the media and the football authorities have a strong anti-Arsenal bias. However I still think that is the fault of the Arsenal board. They should be smart enough to make the press and authorities pro-Arsenal but they just ignore the problem. ( I can think of at least two ways of doing this and I do not even work in PR.)

They probably do not think it is a serious issue. Alternatively maybe they think a siege mentality helps the team’s spirit. Or maybe they are just really thick or they are just too nice to get tough.

Whatever the reason, the Arsenal board have failed the club. The PR war needs to be won and it is crucial to the success of the club. Which top player in their right mind would want to join Arsenal? They would have to be mad.

I would cover myself by saying that if I see one more lazy, disinterested performance such as we witnessed at Anfield then my support for the players, manager and owner will completely evaporate

Someone needs to get through to the players so that we never see that dismal attitude again

As I said, if they put in a real shift on Saturday they can begin the rebuilding of relationships and put to bed the prima donna precious celebrity status poor darling me aura they gave off.

Man up. Let’s go. I hope.

6. goonerjake says:

I sometimes think we are to blame sometimes by rising to the media bate.

Talk sport is a chief example. If we did not rise and or respond to the comments and opinions of say Adrian Durham they would soon stop with their anti arsenal rhetoric if it does not draw a audience.

Like I say I’m to blame for this, I listen to and repeat what such ones say. Maybe I should ignore it and hopefully it would go away.

Ps. I used talk sport as an example of all media anti arsenal bias

Morning folks,

Thank you for the sensible comments. I recognize that it a topic that causes differing opinions and it some cases serious conflict – but we should all have the same thing at heart – the good of our club.

Being the senior blogger on the site means that I’ve witnessed many different Arsenal’s and in my view the current version is as one of the very best in our history.

Due to the maelstrom (whatever we consider the cause to be) this has the making of being a very difficult season and if the fans don’t get behind the team 100% then it could well become a disaster.

We have two choices 1) back our team to the hilt 2) be verbal or quiet critics. Personally I always choose the former.

Lets enjoy our football and team – starting with the Bournemouth game – the attendees could be a huge force in fully supporting the team and manager – in-spite of any personal misgivings.

goonerjake.

You are so right it’s not only the vile gossip that they plant as seeds of discontent (and boy do they grow) it’s also the transfer rumours that are immediately believed and when nothing materializes it’s all Arsene’s fault – good grief!

Rasp our views are at opposite ends of the spectrum – but Arsenal is still our core.

10. wally says:

The worst support after the worst performance. Gee, what a surprise. Mind-boggling.

And if it weren’t for the press we’d have smashed pool last week wouldn’t we. How many touches did they have last week?

Without the press we wouldn’t know what to think. What a pantload.

11. njstone9 says:

The problem is the transfer window.

Whenever we have wantaway players it always leads to bad results during this period.

Previously we got hammered by Man U while Nasri and Fabregas caused chaos behind the seasons. But at least we sold them for megabucks.

Now Ozil is not causing problems but it’s clear he is going to “respect” his contract and then leave next season. Fair enough: he’s entitled to do that.

It seems that Sanchez almost left after all but Monaco decided to keep Lemar (if it was solely Lemar’s decision he would have ended up at Liverpool). He may well be pissed off about this. Will it affect his performances? I suspect it will.

This should all have been sorted out BEFORE the season started.

njstone 9,

The real elephant in the room is the Bosman ruling which means that players can move to a new club at the end of their contract without their old club receiving a fee. Players can now agree a pre-contract with another club for a free transfer if the players’ contract with their existing club has six months or less remaining.

Every agent in the world will urge his players to use this ruling to their advantage and at the same time it will also line the agents pocket.

Players careers are so short they want to maximize their income while they can – and why not? The club end up as the victims as they are left short of the potential transfer fee and a player. You may ask “why didn’t the club sell the player while they could”? well the answer is that the player will refuse to be sold if it’s not to their advantage.

Check mate to the Bosman ruling!!!

Good post, thank you GN5

Does that mean that Jacko is back? That’s good, I have high hopes for him

I wish we didn’t participate in the ‘victim’ mentality. Media do not hate Arsenal, they shoot if you give them ammunition. Huge, one of the best footballing clubs in UK is doing poorly is a topic for a chat show or an article. Wenger said himself that the best way to shut up critics is on the pitch. Simple.

Last year they were banging on poor past Fergie ManU, this year they are dissing chavs because players prefer to play for Pool. No Arsenal hatred.

Arsenal being thrashed by Pool 4 nil was a big story and if I was a journo I would be interested in it.

Why would media hate Arsenal and not other team??

14. njstone9 says:

GunnerN5

Very, very few top players leave on a free. Name one who has.

What top clubs do is sell players before that happens. Sanchez and/or Ozil should have been sold this summer. Next summer it will cost Arsenal £200m to replace both with top quality young players.

Eddie.

As I’ve mentioned previously when I was a kid all we had for sports news was a crackling radio and newspapers.

All I can remember on the radio was a 20 minute broadcast at around 5:00pm giving all the days football results, no opinions were expressed just the results followed by the standings.

The newspapers were all Northern based and were pro Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc; the Southern teams got very little positive headline coverage and were always seen as the enemy.

I have no idea why Arsenal get the short straw today but it sure appears that they do!

njstone 9

A quick Google search gave this result, I’m sure if I was to dig deeper I could find out more specific details.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Since the ruling came into effect throughout the EU in 1995, several notable players in European football have benefited from the ruling.[5] In 1996, Edgar Davids became Europe’s first high-profile player to benefit from the ruling when he moved from Ajax to Milan. In 1999, Steve McManaman became the most lucrative transfer at the time in British football, as “Britain’s first high-profile Bosman departure”,[6] when he moved from Liverpool to Real Madrid and the deal resulted in McManaman becoming the highest paid British player in history, from 1999 to 2001.[7] Since Davids and McManaman, scores of other notable players became able to negotiate deals according to their market value when their contracts expired, a trend that continued into the 2000s and beyond.

Morning Fred how are you today?

18. chas mobile says:

Arsenal waiting to get fair treatment from the media………

19. fred1266 says:

Am good G5, and how u doing

For an old man I’m doing very well Fred.

Lets hope our gunners come out with their canon’s blazing on Saturday, they need to quieten the critics down

21. fred1266 says:

Will you be attending G5

Fred I sure wish I could attend but it’s not possible as I now live in Canada.

3.35 LoL

NJ. We have just signed one. He was voted the best LB in the Bundesliga.

24. Zee says:

A very interesting topic, GN5. 🙂

I have often over the years seen written in blogs that the media are biased against Arsenal or hate Arsenal, and have to a large extent held my curiosity as to what that means because I could not be assed to get involved in the usual circular arguments.

As I consider you a blog buddy, perhaps I could ask you to explain what is meant by those terms, so I can understand without the rancour. 🙂

It is clear that there are journalists who support one or other of their local clubs, and in any debate between say ‘Pool and Arsenal they are going to side with ‘Pool if they are local lads, or working in the North West — but then — there are journalists who support Arsenal or who were born near Highbury, and I presume they lean towards Arsenal in such a debate.

But – ‘Hate’ – that’s a strong word —- ‘biased’? given the above that is possible, but how does any of that impact on the team?

It beats me – but maybe I just do not see what everyone else does.

An explanation and examples of this hate would be a good starting point – if possible. [And No — this is not a wind-up]

Hi Zee,

I’m just on my way out so I will have to respond later – no wind up felt – especially from you..

26. Zee says:

Thanks, GN5. 🙂

John Cross- Arsenal fan

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about

🙂

GN5 – I actually don’t think media hate Arsenal, they just love a good story. And if there is no good story they make it up.

Many journalists said they love interviewing Wenger, that he is humourous and a gentleman, and always a joy to talk to.

And Arsenal fans have themselves to blame for any backlash; we are the best team, we are The Arsenal, we are classy, we this and we that. The higher you climb the harder you fall. Take it.

Zee, I have not used the words hate or bias.I prefer to use negative, discontent, wind up etc so I cannot explain there usage..

The my absence I see that Chas has been Chas and has given 8/9 various examples of the type of media reporting which we see each and every day – which other team has to endure that type of constant destructive negativism?

It’s been prevalent all of my life, dating back to the 50’s and has escalated with the advent of social media and their outright lies which are believed and spread like wildfire………….

I know this is not an explanation but it is exactly how I feel and I thank Chas for providing us with current examples.

Off out again to pick my daughter.

enough of football 🙂
    I worked out the secret of painting and decorating. Right. I only had 3 very good pros painting my houses.They were exceptional, left the walls and ceilings looking gorgeous, I couldn’t fault anything they did.

I had to think what made them so special. One was English called Columbus. One Romanian religious fellow called Corneliu and one half Italian called Carmaine. See, all had strange names beginning with ‘C’!! And what’s more they were all away with the fairies, one on the Jesus mission and the other two on ganja.

Now I know what I need to do to progress my painting career – I have to change my name to something beginning with ‘C’ (no, a name not an epitaph) and take illicit drugs, as religion is not really my thing. Do we have any dealers here on AA?

“I worked out the secret of painting and decorating”

More paint 🙂

yes micky, 2 more coats on the ceilings and it should be perfect 🙂

1. it’s new plaster
    2. it has been applied rather unevenly
    3. I am perfectionist
    4. huge south facing windows with no blinds or nets allow strong light to highlight every imperfection

5. ok?

oh yeah 6. I am not a pro 🙂

Eddie, you will note that I did not use the word hate – that is the exact way that rumours are spread 🙂 🙂

Oops I just noticed that I did in fact use the word hating in my post.
    Sounds a bit extreme I guess and I could think of many better word choices.

I will be more careful in the future. It’s odd because that is version 2 of the post, two wise men suggested that I should tone the original down which I did but I still overlooked the one word.

Zee, I still don’t have an explanation as that is not how I really feel – I can only put it down to a poor choice of words.

Eddie, Sorry but you were obviously correct.

43. Ant says:

Hi GN5,
    I’m looking forward to lots of things at the game on Saturday:
    Chas’ packed lunch
    Beers and blogging on the train
    Pre match meeting with LBG and other lovely AA bloggers
    Cheering on and supporting the Arse, win lose or draw
    Wish you were here

44. VP of Oz says:

Nice one Ant

Hi Ant – Oh boy I sooooooooooo wish I was there my friend. It remains as the thing I miss the most in my life – so you guy’s are my tonic – your road trips have now become international – they have even reached our friend in Australia – where are you VP ?

VP you just appeared out of the ether……………

47. Ant says:

Great stuff VP and GN5. Hope you enjoy the travelogue on Saturday.

Love the cat vid. More evidence that cats are born wicked.

Yildiz 🥙 😃

6,40 Who are the good looking chaps?

I learned much from yesterday’s painting lessons. I am hopeless and a member of the Bodgeit club.

Maybe I should change my name to Big Caddy

6:30 Yildiz!!! And I’m hearing it might be a green light 🙂

Erik re the cat, one life, live it baby 🙂

LBG
    Now you can see what I mean by the kebabs. Far from the early 80’s, 4am version
    Come on, you’ll be next door with Chas and Ant. Leave them (we’ll be back in the boozer before they’ve even noticed you’ve gone) 🙂

GN5 – I know you used the word ‘hate’, I just couldn’t be bothered to pin point it, glad you did it yourself 🙂
    It is not the word ‘hate’ I am concerned about, but about the victim mentality some fans have adopted – it’s media’s or refs’, or injuries’ or my fault. Anything but accepting that we are not the greatest team in the world anymore.

Gunners during the internationals (hip hip hooray no injuries reported):

Alexis Sanchez’s Chile were on the end of a thumping as Colombia beat the South American champions 3-0 to leave their World Cup hopes handing by a thread. Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina enjoyed a better outing though, claiming a clean sheet as Sanchez and co were kept at bay.

Olivier Giroud continued to pull rank over Alexandre Lacazette in the France national team, playing 76 minutes against Holland and 60 minutes against Luxembourg. Gunners club-record signing Lacazette came on for the last 10 minutes against the Dutch and the final half hour against Luxembourg, but, like Giroud, failed to score. Laurent Koscielny played the duration of both games for the French.

Mesut Ozil played all of Germany’s 2-1 World Cup qualifying victory in Czech Republic and scored the opening goal in the 6-0 hammering of Norway on Monday.

Danny Welbeck came off the bench to score England’s third in their 4-0 win in Malta, and made a six-minute cameo from the bench at the end of the win over Slovakia. Aaron Ramsey played 90 minutes of Wales’ 1-0 victory over Austria.

There were mixed fortunes for Gunners defender Sead Kolasinac as Bosnia and Herzegovina left the door open to their World Cup play-off rivals by letting a two-goal lead slip in their 3-2 defeat in Cyprus. Kolasinac then played his second 90 minutes in succession as he and his team-mates atoned by hammering minnows Gibraltar 4-0 as they remained second in Group H behind already-qualified Belgium, a point clear of Greece.

Granit Xhaka played 66 minutes of Switzerland’s 3-0 win over Andorra and played 77 minutes as the Swiss beat Latvia by the same scoreline. Nacho Monreal was an unused substitute in Spain’s 3-0 victory over Italy in Madrid.

Aaron Ramsey played the full match as Wales beat Moldova 2-0 to move up to second in Group D. The midfielder got his name on the scoresheet, rounding off Chris Coleman’s side’s win in stoppage time.

Not a single AFC player in England’s first team nor the U-21’s (Maitland-Niles (Cons) was on the bench).

Welbeck, he even scored!!

Apart from Welbeck 😀