Obviously the best is still to come from Arsenal………

it has to be – as it cannot possibly get any worse than it was today.

I want to put this in perspective; now I’ve watched as a spectator or a viewer more games than anybody I know – over 2,500 and our performance (or lack of) against Liverpool ranks as the very worst that I have ever witnessed.

I’m neither a strategist nor a tactician I am just a simple supporter who supports the team of my choice and upbringing. As a kid I stood at the clock end in my short trousers in the rain and snow and froze my rear end off just to watch my team. I’ve seen games where we lost badly and I’ve experienced season after season where we started off and ended as no hopers but I was never deterred as in my heart of hearts I knew things would get better – and eventually they did. However I’d never seen an Arsenal team play without heart or desire – until today. I feel very sad and let down but I refuse to give up on my team and I will continue, as I have countless times before, to support my team with all my heart and soul.

I will not sink to the level of criticising our strategy, tactics, manager, players or staff as I have no knowledge or special skills in any of those disciplines. I am however an expert supporter and I was an expert business manager – so here are my views based on the things I am/was good at…..

courtesy of the Mirror

If an employee gave me notice that they were leaving then I would immediately realize that they no longer had the good of the company/club at heart then I would have them walked out of the door/sold so they could cause no further damage or disruption to the business/club.

If an employee who was trained/hired/bought to work in a certain discipline was found to be underperforming than he/she would receive coaching if this failed to achieve the right results then an alternative position would be considered – if in a new position they continued to under perform then due notice of termination/sale would be given.

If the overall business model was not giving the desired results then all areas of the business would be reviewed, including staffing, business strategy, competitors, employee compensation, techniques and decisions would be made that would create the results needed – maintaining status quo was never a consideration.

A loyal but deeply disappointed

Written by Gunner N5

226 Responses to Obviously the best is still to come from Arsenal………

GN5. A welcome reasoned review of yesterday’s debacle.

There was some fine writing on the blog yesterday evening (if you haven’t read the post-match comments, I recommend them).

Was the performance due to AW “losing the dressing room”? I cannot believe it but perhaps the uncertainty around the squad with Mustafi, Ozil, Ox, Gibbs, Debuchy, Perez etc is having a negative effect, and poisoning the atmosphere.

However, let us not forget that this was one of the best Liverpool performances of recent years. We lost to a terrific team playing at their best.

2. AKOME Ronald says:

Arsenal fans we are still in problems, why Wenger can not buy good player at the emirate.

Cheers, GN5.

I’m not really investing any emotional energy in the football anymore. It pisses me off too much to do so.

Only watched the first 25 minutes. I’ve turned into a couldn’t care less.

We went to The Lost Gardens of Heligan yesterday and I highly recommend it when on your next visit to Cornwall, which I also highly recommend

Morning All
    I’ll do some football once I’ve done some easing into the day

Peaches

They have some seriously cool planting in that semi-tropical south Cornwall micro climate kinda way

6. Tommigooner says:

Not taking anything away from Liverpool – they were in destructive mood. But let’s not forget it’s the same team that shipped 3 goals against f**king Watford – great going forward, sh*t at the back. We didn’t even have a shot on target or test what looked like a dodgy keeper.

We were p*ss poor, everything about Arsenal was poor from team selection, strategy (non whatsoever) to passion.

This is going to be a long painful season. Everyone needs to reset their exceptions from top for to top 8. I don’t have faith in Wenger doing any ‘dramatic’ in the last few days of the transfer window. He’s had all summer – why/how is he going to change in the next 5 days?

#wengerout

GN5

Spot on.

A few years ago I commented Arsenal were cruising. Taking life for granted. We have become content to exist as a par club.

It’s irrelevant who the opposition were yesterday, or how they played, if we have that attitude for the rest of the season, we will be relegated.

The sporting culture of a club is determined by the guy at the top and that is Stan Kroenke.

He is happy to play safe.

Many great tactical, technical and individual comments from the likes of Exile, FGG, RC etc but bottom line is, a player can not bother one week and get selected the next, you’re in trouble as you underline the par carefree culture

This has been going on since Stan arrived in ’09 ‘ish

GN5 – what do you mean you bought and sold employees? Were you a slave trader?

And what if all of the above didn’t work? Did you lose your job or were you still comfortably clocking £8mils a year? Any business I worked in big cheeses were under close scrutiny and they were first to go in any shake up

Micky. Aah, the buck stops here argument

GN5 well played sir.

Chas don’t blame you why should we invest emotionally if the players won’t.

Micky….Cornwall seems like a perfect topic of conversation, we had our normal week in July at Porthleven (with G starting school in December that’s going to need to be August next summer).

We only left half hour radius once, to visit Heartlands MIning Centre, which was an eye opener. Beach days spent at Gunwalloe, evenings spent round harbour enjoying great food and watching the community activities around harbour. Mrs Exile wept when we left, and we are giving serious consideration to business plans, need a change of work/life balance for us and the kids would benefit greatly from the freedom of living with so many activities on the doorstep, I know holidays aren’t like real life but there’s just something about Porthleven that we can’t live without.

We should have same possibilities in Norfolk, Wells should be the same as Porthleven, it’s not because there is a lack of family community and the one that is there is a bit lah dee dah compared to Porthleven.

Eddie

I agree AW should not have been given a new contract.

Nor should the players wage/contract negotiator whoever that is.

That though, is not their fault, but The CEO Ivan.

If Ivan hasn’t been given the heave-ho, that’s the owners fault.

Stan is responsible for the trickle down reward system

ha GiE, I feel the same about Pwllheli in North Wales, the most beautiful place on earth. I spent many holiday breaks there and loved every minute of it, sun or rain, summer or winter, it didn’t matter. Must go there again

Cornwall didn’t do it for me. Beautiful but not as beautiful and exciting as North Wales.

micky – maybe it is Gazidas whose head should roll the streets of N5, maybe. But what is Wenger still doing at the Club I really don’t understand. AND I am, despite all I write, his big fan. But he lets himself down badly overstaying his welcome at the Club. Had he stepped down some of our love for him would remain in our hearts. As things stand he is destroying brilliant memories we have of him.

Exile

Good, now we’re talking turkey

Do it. 25 yrs ago, Mrs Didit and her idiot husband moved West with less than 5k between them. Have internet, can make it work.

As for children? Ok, I’d imagine Norfolk is good, but certainly our children benefited from Moors and Coast.

I would say visit a Portleven in Winter. Many of the Cornish fishing villages are very second homey and dead in Winter.

If I ever moved anywhere in the UK, it would be Cornwall (15 miles away 🙂 buy if it was with small children, it’d be near a Truro

I have to go and get my son’s dog, so last quick note.

Film critics were raving about a French movie ‘Raw’. I got the film and watched first half of it. In summary – 2 girls from nice, middle class family study at a veterinary collage. Usual scenes from French students’ life like nude dancing, oral sex, torture of newcomers are fairly entertaining. The film really starts when the older sister is waxing younger siblings pubs, has an accident with scissors and loses a finger, faints and falls to the floor. In the meantime the younger girl picks up the finger and starts eating it, really enjoying the taste, sucking, chewing, blood sipping…you get my drift. All the to weird French movie music. Now my question to you is – shall I watch the second half?

Eddie

Golden movie rule number one: never watch any French film made in the last 40 years 🙂

nay, there are some classics. if you switch off the sound and just read the subtitles

so you don’t think I should watch second half of ‘Raw’ 🙂

18. Jnyc says:

Can we be realistic about what’s going on around this club? Without going over the top.negatively, just realistically. Remember, I love and respect Arsene.

But this has gone too far, and it’s been degenerating for a while. Early to mid last season, this team stopped playing for Wenger. I don’t know why, I only recognize the results. Players started planning their exits, our stars, and others. To a point where even large offers to Alexis, Oxlade and possibly Ozil don’t even matter.

We were humiliated 10-2 by bayern in front of the world. That didn’t help. People in Chile were pushing Alexis to get away, they love him, and want to see him win at his club as well as country.

We’re now chopping and changing all over our defense and wingbacks, you could pick the names out of a hat and maybe end up with our defensive line up. And now (i didnt believe the rumors at first) our german international, most expensive defensive signing, wants out after one season? Right after we sold Gabriel.
    My gut tells me that he knows something.

Are we really going to pretend there’s not something very wrong here?

Like most of us, I’m not that familiar with 3 defender setups, but when i heard a simplified critique from Thierry Henry after game one, I can see the team is not doing it right, covering properly, mindful of responsibilities.

So why couldn’t our coaching staff drill that into them before sunday?

I see people giving credit to Liverpool. They are not unbeatable. They just played to CL qualifiers, so should have been less energetic than us. We made them look that good. We did not even put in the performance of a newly promoted side against them. We were not ready from the start.

We desperately need a midfielder, now there are a few days left, and it’s not looking good. We are not an attractive prospect like we were to top talents. We can’t overpay. We’re not in champions league. We were embarassed badly in Europe last time anyway.

People see top international players trying to get out. Liverpool and Tottenham now have an edge in recruiting, because they are ascending. We aren’t.
    And that’s not even counting Man City with Pep, United becoming a force again, and Chelsea always dangerous.

I know its only 3 games, but It’s becoming very hard to imagine things turning around with this amount of disarray at the club.

I’d be a seller more than a buyer right now, because we need a reset.

19. njstone9 says:

It was always likely that we would lose against Liverpool away.

What is unacceptable is the manner of the performance.

With only outgoings to look forward to, I struggle to see how the team can turn this around.

Why is Wenger shoehorning Ox into the team? What did we get Sead for if not to play on the left and Bellerin on the right?

Why isn’t Per on the pitch? Why was Mustafi on the bench? Why is Xhaka not being benched for costing us goals every game so far?

9 goals conceded in first 3 games? I’m struggling to decide whether my life or Arsenal is more in ruins at the moment.

20. Found this really interesting from BBC comment section:

“I was at Anfield yesterday. Arsenal were as awful as Liverpool were brilliant. After our third goal a few Arsenal fans started singing “We want Wenger out” and were roundly booed by the Kop. We’ve seen enough decent managers ruined by lazy players who are only in it for the money to know what we were watching yesterday.”

Micky, I have a vague idea of a business (well actually I’m want to buy one that is in existence and I have my eyes on one, and I know how to improve it, and working numbers without seeing their accounts, I know there are possible improvements to be made.

As for seeing it in winter, I have suggested same to Mrs Exile, although we did speak to quite a few locals down there this year some who had moved there and some who were born there and they all seems to say it improved in winter, spring and autumn, one reason less tourists, second reason the light.

21. Red Arnie says:

Thank u GN5. It can only get better from here on now. or so we hope.

The team is in a bad place, has been for some time, and not helped by the fact that the supporters are in a even worse place. Not much interested in support but in criticism and in crying for blood. It is a disgrace.

Om. Shtum.

22. Red Arnie says:

When you say there needs to be a review of personnel and processes of the club, and I agree, this review should include the so-called fans as well. They are part of the disappointment that the team has provided. They have no moral high ground.

23. Red Arnie says:

Watched a rendering of Sir Arthur Bliss’ “Edinburgh Overture” yesterday. by BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Quite remarkable.

Perceptive and logical post GN5, thank you.

I’ve used the business analogy many times. You and Micky are correct. Arsenal is run as a business and the usual rules of culpability apply.

I came to the conclusion some time ago that whilst we have an owner who has no interest in understanding or nurturing the culture of football from a fans’ perspective, then we will never be able to compete with the top teams. To Stan, Arsenal is just a balance sheet in his portfolio of businesses.

I have a little sympathy with Ivan. He’s the ‘boss’ of a manager who earns 4 times as much as him and whose influence extends over all aspects of the club … he can’t pull rank over AW, so he just tries to send out the right PR messages to keep the fans happy.

The responsibility for choosing, recruiting and training players is all Arsene’s. He’s failing. Stan chose the easy option to give AW a new contract, but also was probably forced to because there seems to be no succession plan in place. The Board are failing in this respect.

Our business is being badly run. I completely understand Chas’ increasing detachment from the club. I feel the same. I can’t see any way things will improve without a change of manager, chief executive and hopefully some fresh blood on the board too.

25. RC78 says:

Excellent post and replies…Facts are facts and even without questionning the tactics, which of our players would be a starter in last year’s Top 4? or in a Top 8 European Team?

At best: Sanchez and Koscielny – that is when they are healthy and ready to fight

The rest of our players are good to very good players but not good enough to win us the League, the Europa League and good enough to struggle to win a Cup.

At this stage – we have to just do some quick business to adjust the team and
    – buy 3 players: Right back (back-up), Center-Back (starter), Defensive Midfielder (starter)
    – sell some players: Debuchy, Gibbs, Coquelin, OZIL, Campbell, Lucas
    – loan some players: Holding (EPL), Akpom (Europe)

We also have to set-up the team as per our best players’ strengths.

Cech – Bellerin, RECRUIT, Koscielny, Koli – Oxlade, RECRUIT, Xhaka – Ramsey, Sanchez – Lacazette

Back up team:
    Ospina – RECRUIT, Mustafi, BFG, Monreal – Wilshere, El Neny – Iwobi – Walcott, Giroud, Wellbeck

Here are potential recruits:
    – Center-Back: Koulibaly or Van Dijk or Howedes
    – Defensive Mid: Naingollan or W. Carvalho or Fabinho or Illaramendi or Javi Martinez
    – Right-Back: Azpilicueta or Aurier or Lichtensteiner

Imagine this team now:
    Cech – Bellerin, Koulibaly, Kos, Koli – Oxlade, W. Carvalho, Xhaka – Ramsey, Sanchez – Lacazette

-> Pace: Bellerin, Oxlade, Koli, Sanchez
    -> Strength: Kouli, Kos, Koli, Carvalho, Xhaka
    -> Skills: Bellerin, Kos, Ox, Xhaka, Ramsey, Sanchez, Lacazette
    -> Attitude: Kouli, Kos, Koli, Ox, Carvalho, Xhaka, Sanchez

Ultimately – this would just give us a chance to finish top 4…not even aiming higher than that at the moment

Best I can do is to remind myself that we thrashed Chelsea 3-0 in the early part of last season. A major rethink took place after that with them I can only hope the same will happen with us.

27. RC78 says:

LB – true but their squad was better than ours today on every single position from GK to FW so it was easier for them to re-shape.

That said – AW may want to reshape to a 4-3-2-1, which is the best option according to me given our crop of players.

28. fatgingergooner says:

Our problem is not defensive, it’s in midfield. Until we get some legs and discipline in there then the defensive line up is irrelevant. How can they be expected to keep clean sheets with 5 attackers running at them every few minutes?

For years we’ve had issues with being overrun in midfield and it’s because for years we’ve played Ramsey and Özil in the same team. They are both 10’s but even worse they are both 10’s who have zero interest or understanding of defending. Same on the wings with Ox and Bellerin. Neither of them care about defending, with Bellerin deciding he’s Forest f-ing Gump and only seems to be able to run forward! Add that to a Welbeck as striker who tries but is not expected to defend, and Sanchez who wants to leave, and you have 6 of your starting 11 who have little interest or more importantly, know-how, when it comes to defending. Also add a young lad in Holding who should be nowhere near the first team as his confidence is on the floor. Even I can see that on my tv yet Wenger still picks him. I wonder if the likes of Mustafi are refusing to play as they want a move? Just a thought. That leaves us with Kos, Monreal and Xhaka. Not exactly a brick wall is it? No wonder we concede.

29. RC78 says:

If Sanchez wants to go, let us sell him but outside the EPL.

Let us sell Sanchez and Ozil – Sanchez can go back to Barcelona or go to Juventus or Dortmund while Ozil can go to Inter or Milan or Monaco.

Let us cash in from these two players that have not elevated the club to the expected level. I think that Ramsey can be devastating behind a striker and that Lacazette can play behind a striker too in a 4-3-2-1 formation.

30. wally says:

It can’t get any worse? I disagree. There are four teams below us.

Chas, welcome to the club. As long as wenger is here i can’t be bothered. I’ve seen the movie too many times now. A leopard can’t change his spots.

Kroenke should demand more but he won’t. Just look at his other teams. Mediocrity reigns.

This is all on wenger. He picks the players, he determines their pay, he coaches them up, he determines who plays and who doesn’t and where. He rejected the opportunity to work with a director of football. (He wasn’t sure what that role encompassed, telling players where to go on the field? Someone should tell wenger yes and it’s badly needed because no one pays any attention to what wenger is saying.) He chose his coaching staff…..

This Mustafi and Perez business is just another indicator that he’s completely lost the plot, can’t identify talent or figure out how to use it. We spent over $50mm on those two and a year later they’re gone. That is terrible judgement, plain and simple, TERRIBLE JUDGEMENT! It’s another indicator of how crazy things have gotten. No wonder the player are wandering around clueless, the manager is too!

Any players sold the money should be banked and saved for whomever the next manager is. There is no evidence that wenger can identify or properly utilize any talent he acquires. NONE! It would be more wasted money.

We’re now in that sweet spot, a trifecta if you would, where the good players want to go, the crap won’t leave, and no one wants to come.

31. fatgingergooner says:

If I look back at the FA Cup Final, many of the players I just mentioned were sprinting back into formation and creating a defensive unit that Chelsea struggled to break down. Same when I think about the semi final with City aswell. So they can do it IF THEY CHOOSE TO.

So what the hell has happened in the last 3 months that makes them no longer want to do that?

Could be a number of things, but what I think is it has something to do with the contracts and attitudes of certain individuals which is effecting others, and it may also have something to do with a manager signing a new contract which certain players haven’t agreed with. It could also be the lack of new quality signings which players were hoping for to improve them. If I had to bet, those would be my 3 guesses.

32. oz gunner says:

Great post G5. Something needs to change and someone needs to be held accountable.

@JNYC

Agree 100%

The Mustafi situation is very alarming. If he goes questions need answering. Especially when Gabriel was allowed to leave.

Eddie, this is my final paragraph, if you had read it and understood it then you would realize that your 7:56 is plain wrong.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………

“My hope is that during this convenient international break Arsenal conduct an overall business review that will bring about the changes that have become obvious to many of us supporters. In this supporter’s opinion, status quo is unacceptable and effective change, including player/staff departures, must take place before we play Bournemouth.”

34. goonerjake says:

Sell Sanchez

Sell Walcott

Sell welbeck

Sell xhaka

Sell Ozil

Sell the ox

See if we can get Barca to take

Get jack fit and in the first team

Promote some of our good youth team

Use the money from the sold players plus the money in the coffers to buy a proper spine. Two strong central defenders, one strong central midfielder defensive minded. World class attacker be it left right or central

Thank you all for your (mixed) responses.

A loss of that nature was just awful to watch – but one can only hope that it will become the catalyst that is needed to trigger the changes that have become glaringly obvious.

I simply cannot envisage that the status quo will be allowed to remain in place – somebody at the club needs to step out of the shadows and become our champion.

Personally I have no problem in, even this early in the season,writing a season off if that is what it takes to create the changes necessary.

36. wally says:

You know the penny has dropped when even n5 is willing to throw wenger under the bus

37. RC78 says:

sell sanchez and get mahrez

Wally your interpretation ……………………but wrong. I would never dream of “throwing Arsene under the bus”

RC78 in the business world selling off stale assets is a must in order for the business to thrive.

Looking back down memory lane…………

2011/12 record after 3 games.

W0, D1, L2, GF2, GA10, Pts1

Final position 3rd.

“They (Ramsey and Ozil) are both 10’s but even worse they are both 10’s who have zero interest or understanding of defending.”

Very true.

I know we refer to the FA Cup final as a successful marker, the reality is now becoming clear to all and that is that on that one occasion we played out of our skins and Chelsea had a very bad day at the office.

Does anyone really think we would beat Chelsea next week with that some starting line up?

I don’t.

The straw I am clutching to is that by the next game the window would have closed and AW will know where he stands staff wise and can pick teams based on merit, although, ironically the team that started yesterday would probably do just fine against Bournemouth.

Ok here’s a little fault for those that question Arsene’s ability to spot talent.

If we sign someone for over £10m and Arsene doesn’t play him do you think:

a) bad scouting
    b) bad decision by manager
    c) Manager didn’t want him in first place

Now I know that goes in face of the General school of thought that says Arsene runs everything, but do you seriously believe the man who brought in Thierry, Silva, Anelka, Nasri, Cesc.

For so many years Arsene was criticised for treating the money like his own, not making mega signings etc etc….

Well what if Perez was not his decision, same with Elneny and others, maybe just maybe the board, Ivan, Dick Law were saying “look….we’ve told the fans we are buying players, and able to spend money so these are the players we can sign, what do you mean you don’t need them? Of course you do every fan says we need to spend money, we’ve told them we are spending money, so we will spend money…..deal with it” so then Arsene gets overloaded with players for positions he already has, starts to rip out players that actually care for the club because he is told to and in 3 seasons we are reduced to this sorry state, where money spent has only increased expectations, when actually we could forgive the team that was assembled on a budget for far greater achievements than this expensively assembled squad.

What happened to the Arsene that promoted from within? We were a far better team to watch then..

43. chas mobile says:

Wally
    I could never be a member of your club.
    We are completely different in our reactions to the Club.
    My malaise is with the Premier League, modern day players, owners and managers.
    I don’t watch MOTD or even the other games’ goals anymore.
    Far too much of a massive circus for me these days.

LB,

On paper yesterday’s team looked to be capable of beating Liverpool. However the stark reality was that their performance was inferior in every way to Liverpool’s.

We are of the same opinion that between now and Sept 9 against Bournemouth a resurrection of some sort needs to occur. The on field performance needs to come under the magnifying glass and champions need to step forward and become our heroes!!

There must be players who are being disruptive – they need to be identified and isolated.

GIE, your comments are superb, reasoned and full of good sense, thank you for your recent return to AA and sharing your thoughts with us, your logic is a great tonic..

46. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Got to say I was having the same thoughts. Surely if Wenger really wanted Perez and Mustafi they would be playing week in week out. I think either a) somebody else is having a large say in the players coming into the squad, or b) Wenger has bought players to appease people but never really fancied them and is happy to let them go if they want out. It seems strange that he’s trying hard to pursuance certain first team players to stay but others he doesn’t seem to care about.

There could even be a c) in that he’s happy to get rid of certain players in order to free up wages to either renew others contracts or bring in other players who he feels will do a better job.

Of course, it could also be d) that Wenger has totally lost sight of what he’s doing and the pressure has clouded his judgement and he’s now scrambling around trying to sort things out.

Once again with Arsenal, the fans are left guessing.

47. Red Arnie says:

Sad that it seems I am not the only one who has gone completely off all mainstream discussions of our club, the PL, the managers of the leagues and the game, or the media.

I still enjoy watching our team play, and do not have huge problems with losing, because that is what you have to endure, sometimes more often than not. But, most often these days, even the persistent negativity surrounding the club all round has no effect.

GIE/FGG, there is obviously disruption taking place in the ranks and that is a huge issue that cannot be allowed to fester or go unresolved. Cancers must be rooted out or they will continue to grow.

it’s amazing but it seems that today people are more easily swayed towards the negative than the positive.

Those of us that grew up in and after WW11 had to think positively or there would be have been nothing to look forward to – life was not over and a hero stepped up in the dark and rallied a nation behind him.

Arnie, when I watch a game I mute the commentary as even listening to that upsets me…….”experts” seem to have sprung up everywhere.

GN5
    The thing is I didn’t think the team yesterday was capable of beating Liverpool.
    The surprise to me was that it was so much worse than I expected.

That said I expect AW to put things right in a not too different way to which you suggest in your excellent post

51. Top stuff GN5

Dreadful performance and I feel really sorry for Arsene. Bromo Primorac has a lot to answer for.

Arsene is a purist who sends teams out to attack based on possession based football. He’s the only man managing a big club who, if you include the wing backs, would field a midfield 5 who look like a clapped out boy band.

Indeed Arsenes teams are breathtaking, even the calamities are spectacular. Losing 4-0 to Liverpool in such a glorious way that talk of firing squads and the reopening of Devils Island to cater for cowardly footballers is socially acceptable.

Indeed, we will miss Arsene when he’s gone. So will Take That and Steve McQueen.

We will find our feet, put in some great performances and get the results, of that I have no doubt. We play in such a way that when confidence is high, and it will come again, we can be beautiful to watch and very difficult to cope with.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

52. RC78 says:

What is frustrating this year is that we are not playing players at their best position:

Monreal is a Left Back
    Bellerin is a Right Back
    Xhaka is a Central Midfielder
    Oxlade is a midfielder (a Right box-to-box)
    Ramsey is a Central Attacking Midfielder
    Sanchez is a Left Foward
    Wellbeck is a Center Forward
    Ozil is a Central Attacking Midfielder

Here are my top players per position:
    GK Cech
    RB Bellerin
    LB Koli
    LCB Kos
    RCB Mustafi
    DM Coquelin
    CM Xhaka, Cazorla
    RM Oxlade
    CAM Ozil, Ramsey
    LF Sanchez
    RF Walcott
    CF Lacazette, Wellbeck, Giroud, Perez

Best line up possible with current squad: 4-3-2-1
    Cech – Bellerin, Mustafi, Kos, Koli – Oxlade, Coquelin, Xhaka – Ozil or Ramsey, Sanchez – Lacazette

Xhaka has a phenomenal engine and passing range, he needs to run more and needs to take the space when Sanchez is drifting on the left but he is playing with the handbreak on.

I guarantee you that with this set-up, we are playing to our strengths.

LB. You questioned my suggesting we were underdogs 🙂

In my preview I was circumspect about our chances and unlike my normal PM predictions stated I would be happy with a draw. Like you I expected a defeat and like you it was the manner of it which hurt.

Am I confident of AW rectifying the obvious problems? No, sadly, I am not but The Arsenal Way is not to react to short term difficulties, they will point to the Silverware cabinet and the run of games we won at season’s end.

GN5 – I think all of us here were born after the WW2.
    I am only pulling your legs because you respond. if you blanked me I would probably leave you alone

To each there own Eddie, I prefer a sensible dialogue.

BR

You are right, I did question it, my regret was that as soon as the team was announced I wanted to write the following but got waylaid.

If we weren’t under dogs before we certainly are now.

57. Sad to see chas disillusioned. I know how he feels, the modern game is one big circus gravy train. It also has Mourinio in it.

What we need is more modern players who after retiring, hit rock bottom. I find these particular tales of woe exhilarating.

Apparently John Barnes is bankrupt and Micky Hazzard dives a black cab. Would love to send Barnes a red electricity bill or leg it from Hazzards cab without paying

Terry thank you for adding your unique sense of humour to an otherwise sad day.

LB – you didn’t think we were underdogs and I had a feeling we were going to win. Reality check was applied.

GN5 – don’t get upset, nothing like a good banter when serious football talk is no longer a joyful pasttime

Ah, but football is a very serious, interesting and sensible topic of conversation – even more so when we are in our current predicament.

61. No problem GN5.

Yesterday was very bad. It looks as though the players could inspire Simon & Garfunkle to make a comeback. Is it collectively possible that they are all going home to a loveless relationship were there are no arguments just a terrible nothingness?

If I was Arsene the first thing I would do when all the wankers are back at training is play The Sound of Silence to them and say “that’s not you, you stupid twats. Garfunkle only wrote that because he couldn’t pull birds. Now get out there and start playing, otherwise I will start playing Manilows lesser know albums”

He’s at it again 🙂 🙂 🙂

No Eddie

When I saw the team I went from expecting to win to very much doubting it.

64. That’s right GN5. This is easy, the only other site I blog on is one particular hair loss site. Now that’s a hard crowd. Post something really terrible on there like “my old mans on his deathbed” you get replies like “does he have hair Terry” or “would he be willing to try that experimental drug Terry”

It’s not the end of the world for gods sake. We will bounce back.

Yes, it’s depressing when we lose. Last night I was having Teribble dreams that I kept taking a foul throw, an obvious sign of subconscious Arsenal distress and perhaps homosexual panic, but the key is to analyse your feelings to work out the subconscious root.

See, that was the problem with Freud, he never took a throw in.

That time I laughed out loud!!

As predicted, The Ox is gone to the chavs circa £35m. He’s saying it’s because he wants to play centrally, but he’s unlikely to do that for the chavs. My guess is his reasoning is similar to BSRs … he wants to win the EPL or CL.

67. Let him go Rasp, he’s shit and I never liked him anyway,

You sure he’s gone? Otherwise he’s a good lad with loads of potential?

That’s good Rasp, we need to get rid of the dry rot.

🙂 TMHT, I’ve been sure he’s gone for weeks … it’s about to be confirmed now

Well Monsieur Wenger had better have a top class CB and midfielder up his sleeve or the chorus of derision will be deafening.

71. fatgingergooner says:

£35m for Ox is top dollar given he has less than a year left and has played about 10 decent games in his whole career thus far. No doubt he will soon be followed by Gibbs, Mustafi, Perez and Sanchez. That’s a lot of money and a lot space left to fill in the squad. If all those players leave then I’d like to see us buy Mahrez or Lemar along with a quality CB and a quality CM player. Id like to think the Mahrez/Lemar could be done, but will be difficult to get someone like VVD before the window shuts.

That would all be fine by me FFG. I have a gut feeling that the VVD deal may be going on in the background.

But … none of the midfielders you mention would plug the gap we currently have in the centre …. make that a gaping chasm 😦

74. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

If we started our next game with:-

Cech
    Bellerin VVD Koscielny Kolasinac
    Ramsey Coquelin Xhaka
    Mahrez Özil
    Lacazette

I’d be delighted with that but not sure it will happen.

We can only dream FGG ….

The deal is not on Arsenal.com yet, but if it’s confirmed then I applaud AW’s quick reaction.

77. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

He needs a holding midfielder player. He’s tried changing formation and that hasn’t worked, and he’s tried different partnerships which haven’t worked. If he really wants to plug that gap then he either needs to get Ramsey out of the side, play 3 in midfield again with Coquelin first on the team sheet, or buy a top class HM player who is willing and able to sit in and defend. I can’t see him doing that whilst we play 343 so my guess is our next game will see us go to a 4321 as listed previously with either Coq at HM or a new player at HM.

78. fatgingergooner says:

There’s a number of HM players we could look at in Carvalho, Krychowiak, N’Zonzi but why would they leave CL football to come to us. So then you’re looking at other EL teams and we could go for Illaramendi or maybe Gueye from Everton who was good last season. Other than that, all the best players are at the best clubs so Wenger needs to pull his finger out if he wants a quality HM player.

In truth though I do t think Wenger has ever truly wanted a quality HM player and the signing of Xhaka shows that even when looking for a solid midfielder he still wants them to be comfortable on the ball before anything else. That’s probably why none of our midfielders can tackle, other than Coquelin, who got into the team because of injuries and can’t get back in now everyone is fit.

Thanks FGG,

I think he needs to stop playing players out of position, to stop thinking Monreal is a CB, and stop shoehorning in players because they are too good to sit on the bench (Ramsey, Ozil etc) … He needs to find a balanced team and after conceding 8 goals in 3 games, he needs to shore us up defensively.

80. Jnyc says:

FGG, I thought he wouldve used Coquelin against liverpool, seeing the way they play. I’m surprised he didnt do it.

81. fatgingergooner says:

Even the signing of Arteta shows what Wenger wants from a HM player, and it isn’t to be good at defending!

He needs to wake and realise that modern football is as much about running and chasing as it is about having the ball and passing. Our defensive qualities are non-existent.

For what it’s worth I thought Arteta was one of our best signings of recent years.

Ok I’m pretty amazed at the nations selection of the best XI from 25 years of the Premier League.

I’ve just picked my XI it’s here:

The nations favourite apparently thinks the failed England side of god knows how many years was the best the Premier League had to offer apart from Ronaldo, Henry, Giggs and Schmeichek?!?!?

“See, that was the problem with Freud, he never took a throw in.”

Fantastic and so true.

If Ox has gone it is a sad day because we needed his persona – the club is desperately lacking in characters.

86. fatgingergooner says:

I disagree BR, in the nicest possible way of course!

The club doesn’t need jokers, it needs people who are serious about winning and serious about football. The Ox is too busy messing around to become the footballer he could be. All the talent, but I’m yet to see any application.

87. Hi all, had a serious onslaught of people in my pool today – can’t imagine why 😂

88. Sorry sent that before I’d finished.

Micky – lost gardens of Heligan – amazing place, visited there about 15 years ago, trekked right down into the valley …..,, amazing planting, really loved it, think they’ve missed a trick though ………. it needs a cable car really so that the valley can be appreciated …….. most visitors don’t get to see it sadly. Hope you had a great time.

Pool, pool, pool?

That was kept quiet!

Have you visited Trebah Gardens in Cornwall Micky? The beach was used by the US military in 1944 for the assault on Omaha beach on the D Day landings

Two ways to deal with a bad day with The Arsenal

1. Lie in a cool stream on Dartmoor
    2. Read some classic Transplant

Peaches
    Yes to the bottom. More time needed though.

Rasp
    Yes to Trebah but didn’t know that about the beach

Reading through the excellent comments, and what a great crew you all are, I thunked over the FAC performance comments.

A nasty conclusion was that we’re capable of beating anyone, as proved by the City win as well as Chelsea. The nasty conclusion was that maybe we’re good time charlies. Up for the fight when there’s a whiff of glory but less so when faced with the daunting prospect of a sustained title battle over the course of a long season

Still, there remain 35 games and we’re only six points adrift!

Shift one or two quitters, get hold of some real men and who knows

94. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

It was me who mentioned the semi and final earlier, and I had the same thought about only being up for big games, but then I thought ‘you don’t get to a semi or final without being arsed in the earlier rounds, and you don’t win 3 FA Cups out of 4 without playing a lot of the big teams and winning those early rounds against shite opposition at tough grounds.

Then I thought, wow, 3 FA Cups out of the last 4! Jesus, Wenger would’ve been idolised if that was 30 years ago!

Then I got really annoyed and thought ‘wtf is wrong with this group of players! Why can’t they just perform and play for the manager and the fans’.

Then I realised this is modern football and players these days care nothing for the history of a club and only how they can line their pockets

Finally I thought, modern football is shite.

95. oz gunner says:

Really surprised Ox has fetched that much money. Take out the end of last season and you have an injury prone player with potential. Always liked him and thought he’d be a beast in central midfield. 35 million is well above his worth. Although I’ve given up how much we make for a player because the chances are it probably won’t be invested in the squad.

@FGG

You’re probably right. We’ve seen Arsene dig his heels in the past if a player is brought in without his true blessing (park). If Mustafi and Lucas go I’d have the same sort of conclusion. I’m shocked to be honest because I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from both. Mustafi to take over from Kozza and Lucas is clinical and has great technique.

@RC78

Agree. We’ve got enough shit to deal with – playing players out of position only adds to the horror. The bellerin position change needs to go.

FGG

Fair points, but I still think the cup theory holds up

I mean, whoever you play in the early rounds, it’s still 6 odd games to the Final, and also, it’s a knock out so even if a game goes to a replay, one side still has to win

So, I’m saying, cups suit us better than the long slog of a league

Just a theory, of course

See you early birds at dawn for some sliders. Hopefully

97. Forgot to say – all those hours ago – thank you GN5 for a great introduction to the day yesterday. Your calm thoughts helped a really good discussion to take place. Some really insightful comments from everyone.

I’m shocked to think that this team are good time Charlie’s although the evidence of three FA cups in four years is pretty telling. Maybe we’ll never know if half of them leave.

Playing players out of position is the thing that really annoys me – yes, do it if an injury means you have no choice but wholesale square pegs in round holes completely unbalances the team with too many players having to think 😉

To leave Lacazette on the bench was pretty criminal if you ask me, I know Danny puts in a great shift but putting the ball in the back of the net doesn’t seem to be his forte (for now).

It can only get better let’s hope it does.

98. LB – if you’d ever stopped off for that orange squash you’d have know about the pool 😉

Any chance of a slider, chas?

YES YES YES
    The cats are back

I leave for work a happy man

We’re simple fellows. Simple needs. Life is not complicated.

Four exciting days ahead
    Get the weak out, I say, and we could all be………

106. Carlos says:

Can’t blame the players one bit. Wenger should have left two seasons ago and we would have been the league champions then. In Spite of tremendous efforts from the fans, Wenger isn’t leaving.

Losing the CL spot should have been the final stroke but he comes back with FA Cup success. So what should one do to get rid of him???? It’s upto the players now to dislodge him . Week in and week out they should give such “don’t care” performance and finally we will be rid off him. Guys we can’t have him any longer with his uni-dimensional tactical skills. The oppositions are much stronger for the players alone to “figure it out” on the pitch. You should respect the opposition and don’t just send our players with the command “charge”, that’s plain suicide.

Oh dear lordy, Carlos, I LOVE that last bit.

From now on I say, “disrespect the opposition and CHARGE”

Superb 🙂 🙂

I found this funny – EU representatives tell UK that they want proper proposal and no more time wasting. UK tells EU they have to show flexibility and imagination. What does that mean? Possibly UK tells Europe that they want single market minus free movements of citizens. Or we want to keep the beneficial laws but not the crippling ones. This is really funny 🙂

Both sides loving it Eddie

More paperwork, more meetings, more bureaucratic bullshit. It’s the only thing Statists do.

Couldn’t care less about them or us

Can’t see that crippling laws would be popular with anyone.

I will do a quick post just to keep the blog pages turning, but it won’t be for an hour or two

112. Red Arnie says:

Micky, yes please.

“Two ways to deal with a bad day with The Arsenal

1. Lie in a cool stream on Dartmoor
    2. Read some classic Transplant”

ditto. 🙂

113. VP of Oz says:

after spending $1bil, Man C took 97 minutes to beat Bournemouth
    ManU have 10 players heading into their final year of contract
    In Arsene I trust
    COYG

114. RC78 says:

Thoughts:
    – AW wanted to keep Ox, Sanchez and Ozil

– After Liverpool’s defeat,
    —+ Ox has been allowed to go
    —+ Sanchez wants to go even more
    —+ Ozil needs to go but will stay because he can’t get a better team/deal at this time UNLESS he goes to Monaco

I think Ox’s departure reflects the fact that AW and the board have already capitulated in their quest to win anything this year so they want to rebuild the team as of now with fresh and hungry players that want to fight for the team and that means selling Mustafi, Ox and Sanchez at the highest price and get hungry players in the team.

Manchester City will make an offer for Alexis Sanchez this week and could offer Arsenal Raheem Sterling as part of the deal, Sky sources understand.

Pep Guardiola and his club remain desperate to sign the 29-year-old Sanchez before the window closes on Thursday, having pursued him for most of the summer.

Chilean media T13 have reported that Sanchez has asked to leave the Chile training camp to “conduct personal business”.

Micky
    I wonder if this is your ‘Walcott for 30m’ theory but in reverse.
    The potential buyer club offers the selling club less in fee so that they can spend the difference on the player’s wages. ????

Hahahahaha

Walcott and Sterling?

If you hear a loud bag and a feeble whimper it is me doing the honourable thing.

120. RC78 says:

LB – more food for your whimper…We are looking at Johnny Evans

121. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. I wish this was 2 Sept. 🙂

Since when have facts been a concern to the thug Phil Neville or any of the pundits?

Oh come on Erik, facts are for wimps. He is a thug though

Apols all around for not delivering the goods as threatened

Chas

Somewhere there is always someone doing a theory of mine in reverse

They call it the right way round. Idiots 🙂

126. I can’t believe that there’s a ‘race’ to sign Johnny Evans and that we’re in it 😦 😦 😦

I think Johny Evans could be the new Franco Baresi.

Manchester City are facing late competition from Leicester in their £30m pursuit of West Brom defender Jonny Evans.

Pep Guardiola, the City manager, is prepared to meet Albion’s valuation for the Northern Ireland international and a second bid is expected on Tuesday.

But Leicester are also battling to sign the Albion captain and had an offer worth up to £23m rejected on Monday morning.

Leicester are backing Craig Shakespeare with funds to make one more major signing before the deadline and paying £30m for Evans would be no problem for the club’s ambitious owners.

Beggars can’t be choosers …. Mustafi is out the door … it can’t be as bad as signing Silvestre 🙄

130. £30m for Johnny Evans 🙄

I know there’s 48 hours to go and we have to be patient ….. but I can’t believe what a complete bollox up we’ve made of this transfer window so far. I know money is a huge part of it … but I’m pretty sure that the Ox and Sanchez also wanted to join a team where the other players put in as hard a shift as they do. In terms of effort the 2 ‘leavers’ come top of our list in terms of leaving it all on the pitch.

132. wally says:

Is that the Benny Hill theme song i hear as wenger contemplates his next transfer deal?

133. fatgingergooner says:

£30m for Evans!? Liverpool want £30m for Sakho, I’d rather pay them. He was very good for Palace last year. I don’t want either at Arsenal though if I’m honest. Surely we can do better, but when we leave it until last minute this is what we end up with. Another panic buying session.

I know people will moan about Ox going but I really don’t see the issue. We’ve offered him a great deal which he’s rejected, so good riddance I say. Only place he will get near Chelsea team is wing back.

It’s becoming clear that players are now going to run down their contracts as much as they can as they know it gives them power to move. I can see it becoming the norm soon with contracts being shorter and shorter.

Rasp

If both Mustafi and Perez leave, you could not call last season’s window a roaring success either 🙂

Beast smut 🙂

…. is that your way of saying “we’re f*^*d” chas? 🙂

Here’s a weird thing, given the way things are, I’m feeling the urge to attend the Bournemouth game

We’re The Arsenal micky, we’re bound to put in a good performance and everything will be rosy again ….. until the next game 🙄

Rasp

I’m less concerned about that than the distance to Yildiz from the meetup boozer 🙂

Is that game on the 26th Micky?

No, next game. A week on Saturday

Ooh …. is it too late to get tickets?

Are we really talking about spending 30m on at best average CB’s? No wonder Stones went for 50m+.

It is beyond understanding that AW has sold Gabriel and loaned (if true) Mustafi.

Either we have already signed someone or the man has a cunning plan

144. I’m furious with Sanchez, he is a snake, why not put in a transfer request after the FA cup final? It’s almost impossible to do important business in the last 48 hours. I’m not impressed 😡😡😡

145. fatgingergooner says:

Gibbs £7m, Evans £30m!?

I don’t buy it. Smells like 🐂 💩

I reckon it’s a name Arsenal have put out there to distract from the real deal for, hopefully, a quality CB.

Also a rumour about Sterling for Sanchez with us paying City cash!? WTF is that! Sanchez is 3 times the player Sterling. Us paying them money! 😂😂😂😂

Oooo I say Peaches, never seen the little red faces

Really quite cross 🙂

148. fatgingergooner says:

Peaches,

Have you seen something I haven’t? I’ve not seen a transfer request from Sanchez reported anywhere apart from the one that Arsenal denied was true.

I may be in the minority but I think Sterling is an excellent player and would be a great addition to the squad, though I would prefer him as a replacement for Theo and not Alexis

150. Red Arnie says:

The bollocks was not so much in the transfer window, it was in failing to qualify for CL. IMO. So much for avoiding CL games to focus on the League, eh!

The best chance we have now is to try and win the Spursday Cup! hmmm.

151. Red Arnie says:

fair point, Raddy. However, Theo has come through our academy, well, sort of!

152. Red Arnie says:

Now, maybe I am in the minority. That I dont care so much about the likes of Sanchez, but letting go of the Ox, Theo, Jack, Gibbo or the Corporal is really painful.

153. Red Arnie says:

Never mind. We have a new toy in right wing! Joel Campbell!! 🙂

I’m with you Raddy, he has excellent speed and can score goals.

155. Arnie – stop it, you’re confusing me 😂😂😂

156. I saw something last night about Sanchez asking to leave and he’s not joined the Chile squad.

Loved that tweet about £70m bid by City for Sanchez ……. entering crazy time now.

157. Red Arnie says:

🙂

Errr, those are two male lions up there……………..

And the female does not look happy about it.

159. fatgingergooner says:

Sterling would be another lightweight who flatters to deceive. I’d rather take the money and buy what we need, a rock hard, inbred, 6 foot 6 inch CB and his 6 foot 7 inch cousin/brother to play in midfield!

Then we can have as many Sterlings, Özil’s and Mahrez’s prancing around the field as we want.

160. I agree with you fgg, Sterling is more of the same ……… can’t we break that mould of lightweights?

There is no way that we are going to let Mustafi leave if something wasn’t firmly in the pipeline.

162. I hope you’re right but who/where is the new CB? And what about Perez? That’s gone quiet too.

163. Red Arnie says:

LB: that is way too much sense for transfer window bolleaux! 🙂

164. fatgingergooner says:

With the time that’s left, I’m not convinced Mustafi and Sanchez are leaving. Wouldn’t surprise me if we rejected any offers and just brought in a RWB to cover Bellerin.

165. Oooh that’s wishful thinking fgg 😉

166. fatgingergooner says:

Peaches,

Do you mean the transfers, or the idea that Bellerin will play at RWB!? 😂

The only way we sell Sanchez now is if the bid is crazy high and we have a replacement lined up. No way do we let Ox and Sanchez leave without replacements. As for Mustafi, I think he might’ve just been left out of the squad as his heads been turned a bit, but we have no need to sell with him being on a long contract. If we can’t get a quality replacement then he’s going nowhere.

Mustafi and Sanchez are both gone.

LB, you’ve got a short memory if you think that letting Mustafi go without a replacement cannot happen. It was us pretty much selling our entire midfield that got me into blogging originally

…. but the optimist in me still believes we’ve got a secret top CB up our sleeve … Aldervereld anyone?

169. Mustafi and Sanchez not leaving fgg ……… until today I was willing to believe Sanchez would be staying but I think if an offer over £50m was received we’ll sell. Mustafi is just the weirdest thing though …….. there must be a CB in the pipeline for the deal for Mustafi to go through …… I hope

170. fatgingergooner says:

City have had all summer to put in a bid and they haven’t. Sanchez has had all summer to manipulate a move away and he hasn’t. Wenger has said all summer he’s staying. I believe he might stay. I might be wrong though!

171. fatgingergooner says:

The Mustafi one I see very odd. Maybe he just hasn’t settled or Wenger just hasn’t liked what he’s seen. I don’t think he leaves though unless someone comes in first.

172. All sounds perfect fgg 🙂

Sorry folks, I’m afraid you are deluding yourselves ….. we’re just trying to get the best price for Sanchez. Over the last 8 years AW has said we wouldn’t sell our star player … and guess what ….. every time we have. like other aspects of the club, there is an unwavering pattern …. I can’t see that changing now. I imagine Sanchez already knows he’s going and that’s why he’s not making a fuss

174. Red Arnie says:

if that is the situation, and we are trying to get the best price, so be it. If we can at all keep the Ox, that will be good though

175. oz gunner says:

What the hell is going on? The only thing more worrying than the Evans rumours last year is that they are back again. He does not suit our style of play whatsoever. 30 million…ye god!

Lets just sign Sol on a free and be done with it.

If Sanchez is causing all of the unrest get rid of that little mercenary. His was an unwanted winger when we got him. He was okay/average at Barca and then Arsene turned his career around. This is the thanks we get?! See ya.

@ Rasp

You are correct. All the signs are there. Like the “I’ve got the flu and can’t play” and then comes back and he’s magically got “stomach muscle issues” – give me a spell. It’s the same bullshit of not playing someone you are shopping around just in case they get injured and you get zero. Which worries me about Mustafi too.

176. WTF

If the Ox has really turned down the chavs, that means he only wants pool … presumably they will use that to try to get him more cheaply …. that won’t go down well at all 😳

179. fatgingergooner says:

Some interesting overnight developments. Ox wants Liverpool apparently, but do they want him!? Plus we’ve turned down £50m from City for Sanchez? I wonder what the magic number is? Hopefully it doesn’t include Sterling if he is to leave. Should be a fun 2 days 😳

180. fatgingergooner says:

Drinkwater handed in a request at Leicester. A midfielder who plays in the middle and stays in the middle! Could be useful right now.

181. fatgingergooner says:

Some crazy rumour about Walcott being involved in a deal for VVD, not sure about that. Apparently the Arsenal players want Sanchez to leave aswell. They do know how to stir the pot these journos.

who is Ox?

this could be a good deal “Arsenal could sign Virgil van Dijk from S’ampton because they want Theo Walcott in return”!!! yes please

I have no idea if van Dijk is any good, I just want Theo gone

Whoever we sign, we need someone with a bit of grit about them. Our problems all arise from the training ground. We frequently capitulate and collapse as a team, we’ve been smashed by the likes of Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Chelsea and several other teams. Most sides would’ve tighten defensively when getting beaten in that way, but we just continued to lie ourselves open to being hit on the counter. The football culture at Arsenal is the problem.

6.54. The peanut vendor!!

Happy Days

186. That Telegraph story is rubbish …… Matt Law should know better, just journalists conjecture.

Motning all

Wow, quite some goings on.

Peaches 5:45??? I take it you’re East of Moscow

Chas 6:51 saw two furry things and a large flat wet surface. Absolutely had to be a slider 🙂

188. njstone9 says:

Here’s a thought:

To what extent are these bids for Ox and Sanchez deliberate ones to destablise a fragile squad?

Clearly Sanchez is quality but do Man City really think Arsenal will sell him? Is Lacazette the already-bought replacement?

And who are we buying to replace Cazorla? Ox isn’t really that important. It’s Cazorla/Arteta we miss. Xhaka is too error-prone.

peaches – why you rubbish the story? I think it is plausible that Sanchez is partially responsible for the players attitude. Think about it – Lacazette and Sanchez on the bench in the game we lost 4:0.

Blimey gosh and all that reading through comments. If true, The Ox turning down Chelsea could really backfire

As for everything else, just wow it’s happening within the last two days

Talk about cock up

191. fatgingergooner says:

We actually played some good stuff against Leicester and Stoke (without Sanchez may I add) so the football side of it is still there, but we need some heart and some leadership and some power. Haven’t said that before have we!? 🙄

njstone – agree. Ox only played well of late because he wanted a move. Feck the traitor.

Replace Cazorla??!! Why? Santi is still good and will be back

193. njstone9 says:

Cazorla is fab. But he is the wrong side of 30 and fast becoming the new Rosicky. We can’t rely on him anymore.

194. fatgingergooner says:

The press muddy the water so much that we as fans have absolutely no idea what’s going on. They are supposed to provide us with information but do the opposite! The club, as usual, giving nothing away. At least it’s only 2 days before the window shuts, and then there is the fact that we play another 50 or so games to take into account! These 2 days don’t determine the entire season, although it does feel like that at times!

no, Santi needs to lose a few pounds and deliver on the pitch for another year or 2. he is too fat, not too old

196. fatgingergooner says:

What’s happened to Iwobi? I thought he was excellent pre season but doesn’t seem to get the game time. Are we going to see Wilshere coming in and being our saviour!? Before he gets injured I mean!

Ok, help me out here

I did not deliver on my threat of a post yesterday, and feel we need a page turn

For the sake of avoiding scrolling down, can I simply put up a paragraph of noise

I always think 100 comments is the signal for a clean page and we’re now 200

Anyone got something clever to post, if not I’ll pen a paragraph. You’ve got 20 mins

the press are talking a lot about North Korea too. I hope they are making up those stories. I don’t suffer from good insticts syndrome (I had a feeling we were going to win last Sunday 🙂 🙂 ), but are the N Koreans really building the nuclear missiles just because they can? I am VERY worried

199. fatgingergooner says:

Maybe someone could put together a poll for ins and outs given its coming up to deadline day. Just a thought.

200. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

It’s all just posturing isn’t it? Would anyone really be stupid enough to be the first to use a nuclear weapon? Knowing that their whole country would be wiped out shortly after?

never mind Iwobi, what happened to last summer star signing Perez??

Micky – do a poll which team will win this season. I have £500 on Red Mancs., Has anyone noticed how quiet has Maureen become? What happened to him?

202. fatgingergooner says:

They’ve had easy games though Eddie. We will see how good they are when CL kicks in

fattie – but it wouldn’t. No other country has missiles like NK have. so why the feck are they investing billions into the process of producing more and more powerful weapon??

204. Go on Micky, I’ll look out for a rumour free paragraph from you xx

fattie – it’s ManU’s striking force that worries me most. Lukaku, Pogba and Martial. Any defender who would face these 3 coming at them would dirty his pants

206. fatgingergooner says:

Our defence does that with Lingard running at them! 😂

I think signing Zlatan for the second half of the season is a shrewd move.

If you’re worrying about nukes Eddie, how do you find time to worry about Arsenal, bills, your health etc? 😄

207. Red Arnie says:

motning all. everyone wide awake, I see, 🙂 any confirmed signings besides Campbell? Joel, not Sol, silly! 🙂

fattie – I don’t worry about Arsenal, bills or health. It’s ManU that worry me. Them and the N Korea 🙂

I am particularly worried about myself, but I have 2 gorgeous grandchildren who I would like to live healthy and happy life. The nutters with flat faces are a seriously dangerous mob, fanatics. Have you seen them marching? Brain washed automatons, Nazis were a bit like that

lingard 🙂 very true.

Peaches

SENT

Sol would be perfect. Good thinking FGG.

Micky, just get writing …

That was quick 🙂

213. I’m on the post ………….

214. New Post everyone …………… just changing the banner

215. fatgingergooner says:

£55m + £5m add on according to Balague. He reckons deal is close but we’ve asked for time to go sign Lemar which apparently we are confident we can do. Sounds like rubbish given we had given up on Lemar.

216. fatgingergooner says: