Arsenal v Western Sydney Wanderers

Lacazette has a new Arsenal striker competitor up front….

…from Per Mertesacker. Thats right, after a fantastic, stand out performance in the FA Cup final, it took Per only 4 minutes to get on the scorers sheet.

courtesy of the Arsenal Gentleman

Welcome to the land Down Under Arsenal. And a great start to the tour with Lacazette also finding the back of the net.

We now turn our attention to how Arsenal will fare in their next game against the Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday night.

But first a bit of background before kick-off

Two of the biggest exports of Australian football to the EPL were Mark Viduka and Mark Bosnich. Both with Croatian backgrounds and both products of the old Australian NSL (National Soccer League) which has been replaced with the new A-League. Another example of this breed of Australian Football export was Tony Popovic and Ante Milicic. Both with Croatian heritage, both played for Australia and in their retirement as players, both becoming key players in the development and success of the Western Sydney Wanderers. Popovic is coach and Milicic was his assistant (he is now assistant coach of the Australian Team).

Tony Popovic played 123 games for Crystal Palace, was an integral part of the Palace defence and became club captain. Tony also played 58 games for Australia. As head coach of Wanderers (Crystal Palace were at one stage chasing him) since the clubs inception and his background as a player in charge of the defence, this Arsenal game against the Wanderers will be a very different one from the one against Sydney FC on Thursday night.

Firstly, the Wanderers are only 6 years old but already boast one of the biggest and most passionate fanbases in Australian Football (the Red and Black Army) and they are the only Australian football team that have won the Asian Champions League on a budget that would make Arsene Wenger cry.

Secondly, Arsenal might feel obliged to throw a game for good will.

Personally I am hoping that Arsene plays a 3, 2, 5 –

Cech

Monreal, Per, Kolasinac

Xhaka, Ramsey

Wellbeck, Ozil, Lacazette, Giroud, Ox

Its going to be a great game for football fans everywhere.

COYG!

Written by VP of Oz

204 Responses to Arsenal v Western Sydney Wanderers

Nice one, VP.

I’m really looking forward to seeing our new boys and our youngsters.
    Hope you enjoy the game live. Those WSW fans will create a great atmosphere, I’m sure.

Here’s that vid you posted before for anyone who didn’t see it previously.

Thanks VP.

Very interesting Pre-Match. Just started the vid, which is fascinating, but have to stop watching and dash as I’m late. Looking forward to watching the rest.

3-2-5 works for me 🙂

Have a great day with your family.

4. VP of Oz says:

Just arrived

5. VP of Oz says:

Just arrived, girls are in lav so hopefully will see kick off

Roar goes up as teams enter

6. VP of Oz says:

Ray Parlour doing some pre game talks
    Biggest cheer of the night on introducing the team went to Lacazette. Giroud got a big cheer but a couple of discontents were voiced and Arsene got a BIG cheer but again some discontents were heard

Bowie music to set the mood and now the Clash, London Calling

The Clash. Classy

Interesting having a Tory on the Left and also Elneny in back three

Gutted here as I only have 10 mins or so to watch

8. VP of Oz says:

Giroud, strutting and scoring

9. VP of Oz says:

Rambo joins in, 2:0

12. VP of Oz says:

Elneny makes it 3 nil

13. VP of Oz says:

Lots of pyrotechnics after each goal plus big Arsenal flags being waved etc
    Quite an exhibition match
    No real intensity at all
    No wide play
    Most of the time it’s crowded around the Centre circle, lots of deft flicks and runs

I’ll go early and predict that Lacazette will be BIG. If he plays alongside Sanchez, we will have 2 Monsters up front

16. VP of Oz says:

It’s great having the team introduced as FA Cup champions

At half time they showed the FA Cup on the pitch plus the golden EPL title trophy that is one of a kind because we went through the season undefeated. I did not know that.

17. fred1266 says:

Damn just wake him and see we already 3 nil up

18. VP of Oz says:

Martinez, bizarre, picks the ball up on a back pass. Nice gift of a goal

19. ‘A gaggle of Gunners waiting to come on’ 😁😁😁

20. VP of Oz says:

10 new subs
    Let’s see how the new lads go now

Is it me … or has Giroud suddenly found a bit of pace?

22. VP of Oz says:

83,221 in attendance

23. VP of Oz says:

Very nice finish
    Arsenal all came on at the end and held up a banner thanking everyone whilst we sang along to Neil Diamond, Sweet Caroline…

Excellent, VP.

Great work VP thanks for the images nice to look at, have a safe journey home.

Arsene Wenger was asked about Alexis, Kyllian Mbappe and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain when he faced the media shortly after our 3-1 win over Western Sydney Wanderers.

Here’s how he responded:

on reports that Alexis has agreed a new deal…
    No, a lot that comes out [about] Alexis doesn’t look completely right! No, that’s not the case.

on reports of a £123m offer for Mbappe…
    That’s not true as well. People have a big imagination. What we know now about Mbappe is that it’s over £100m. After that it’s free to imagine what you want. But we have not made an offer. It looks like he will stay at Monaco [for one season]. Too much choice maybe, so in the end people don’t move!

on whether he expects the Ox to stay…
    Yes, 100 per cent I expect him to stay. There is no speculation – no matter what happens he will stay.

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source.

I talk to the trees
    But they don’t listen to me
    I talk to the stars
    But they never hear me

The breeze hasn’t time
    To stop and hear what I say
    I talk to them all in vain

But suddenly my words
    Reach someone else’s ear……………………

Night all………………

28. Thanks VP for the pics, hope you all had a great time. The second half ten changeover should have given a few more goals. What a shame for the supporters that they didn’t.

29. VP of Oz says:

Thank you AA. I look forward to reading the daily posts and comments into and through the next title winning season. Keep up the great work.

just a quick copy paste below –
    The crowds were Arsenal’s two biggest ever in a pre-season match and left Wenger amazed by the club’s worldwide support.

“I must say after two nights here, we had over 160,000 people at the games and I am just absolutely bewildered,” Wenger said.

“It makes us realise how big the support is here in Australia, and how much people love football and sport here.

31. chas mobile says:

32. wally says:

Good news to start the day. I see where Sanchez wants out. Can’t say it’s surprising is it. We’re officially back on spin cycle. Why does this keep happening to us?

Bueller? Bueller?

33. wally says:

That’s a good one chas. Mind if i borrow it?

Thanks so much for the posts VP and your updates. Hope you guys had fun.

It appears Alexis has indeed indicated a desire to leave in an official interview rather than it all just being hearsay. Personally at this stage I think we need to move him on. I do harbour feelings that the club have made the mistakes that have allowed it to get to this stage, but dwelling on that doesn’t help us.

I also don’t think Alexis wanting to be elsewhere, with an unsigned contract, and 1 year remaining, is helpful to our cause next year. A deal with a club like Madrid, who can afford him, would be best. If it is City then I would insist on Aguero as a swap. I think we can play Lac in behind him to the left of centre in Alexis current role and still look stronger in our front line.

If City and Sanchez try and hold us over a barrel then we can’t lose face. We will have to accept that he can walk away free next year but I would send him to the reserves for the entire year and bring in Lemar. I am also still really keen on giving AOC a good go in Alexis position anyway. I think he has the ability to become an English Sanchez in his own right.

Morning Chas, Shanghai is 12 hours ahead of my time zone so I will be watching the games in the early morning.

When is Sanchez due back in London, does anybody know?

Oh dear the game against Bayern is audio only on Arsenal.com but the Chelsea game is audio visual.

41. fred1266 says:

Time for illegal streamlined I guess guess

44. RC78 says:

Sanchez most likely destinations in order are:
    – Bayern Munich
    – Atletico Madrid
    – Juventus
    – PSG

Juventus just got Douglas Costa and already have Cuadrado so it might be a bit too much for Juve to handle Sanchez as well.

Bayern is looking to transition Ribery and Robben out and got rid of D. Costa and with Vidal there, this remains a very likely destination

Atletico’s Torres and Gameiro are good but Sanchez-Griezzmann up front may give them another gear and Simeone loves Sanchez’s attitude and vice-versa SO don’t rule out A. Madrid

Finally, PSG is very keen to bring Sanchez to form a very attacking minded team, which many fans would enjoy watching 🙂

Trapp – Alves, Marki, T.Silva, Berirche – Di Maria, Verratti, Rabiot, Draxler – Sanchez,Cavani

45. chas mobile says:

Hasn’t Atletico got a transfer ban?

46. Zee says:

Yup, Atletico are subject to a transfer ban until 2018 – hence they cannot purchase Costa from the Chavs, Chas.

47. Zee says:

Fear not GN5 — the game tomorrow starts at 7:20 local time [China] at 12:20 in the UK – so you can work out the Canada time — and it is on Arsenal Player.

Good news?? 🙂

Hi Zee, The game is at 7:20am here on Arsenal Player and to the best of my knowledge it’s audio only, I won’t know for sure until the morning.
    The Chelsea game is live but both the Benfica and Sevilla games are also audio only.

49. fred1266 says:

Didn’t someone sa it was audio only on Arsenal Player

Ahoy anyone

I have a seven hour drive ahead of me today. Mmm, get the AFC site on my smart telephone and plug the bastard in. Might get live commentary.

Or bluetooth it to your car stereo. 🙂

53. Zee says:

Apologies to you, GN5, it is the case that no live TV on Arsenal Player is available for today’s game. 😦

My technical adviser has been misled, and she misled me, and I misled you. There will be ramifications for this gross error, and a stiff letter to Arsenal seems to be in order.

Anyway – enjoy the commentary. 🙂

Hi Zee, Sounds like a cover up to me………….

So far I can’t even get audio?

However I do seem to be getting very slow and dodgy text.

Here we go again………

Lewandoski scores from penalty 1-0

Arsenal Player text is awful – it’s far better on Sky Sports/.

Seems our tactics are “Rope a Dope” the problem is that Bayern are not dopes.

Sky Sports text:

44min: Well, well… interesting. Kolasinac is substituted by Wenger for Nelson, straight after he switched off from the quickly-taken free-kick. Is that a reminder from Wenger or was that planned? No sign of an injury!

44: Well, well… interesting. Kolasinac is substituted by Wenger for Nelson, straight after he switched off from the quickly-taken free-kick. Is that a reminder from Wenger or was that planned? No sign of an injury!

Shocking dive for their pen.

Bayern had a genuine goal disallowed by a blind Chinese linesman.
    Ozil just had to miss the goalie to score from a Welbeck cross.
    Lacazette missed the best chance of the game – a simple one on one.

Haha, equaliser at the death.

Last gasp Iwobi header at 90+4

Hah, beat the jarmans on pens, too.

95: Emi Martinez the hero here, saving two penalties in a dramatic shoot out.
    95: Martinez saves! Emi gets down very well to deny Bernat, and it’s three Arsenal wins from three this pre-season!
    95: Iwobi scores!! Bayern have to score now.
    95: Sanchez hits the bar! The Arsenal fans in the stadium cheer as Arsenal get the chance to sneak back in front.
    95: Monreal rifles it into the top right hand corner! 2-2
    95: Coman scores with a low, hard shot into the bottom corner. 2-1 Bayern.
    95:Elneny…… misses. Tried to wrong foot Fruchtl but the keeper goes the right way. 1-1 after two pens each.
    95:Hummels makes it 1-1
    95:Ramsey steps up for Arsenal’s first penalty…. and scores! 1-0 to Arsenal.
    95:Martinez saves! Gets down well to his left to save the first spot kick.
    94:We go to penalties to decide this one…

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/live#!timeline#LOHRMGRUYLIZ3dgw.99

68. chas mobile says:

We’re talking jack and the feckin beanstalk here….

Looks like a perfect spy plant, mount a camera on the top and wait to see what images show up.

Sad to see Szczesny go for good.
    Here’s my favourite bit of Szcz footage ever.

When you see touchline footage, you begin to remember that football is just 22 men kicking a pig’s bladder round a field watched by ordinary people and not what Sky’s TV cameras would have you believe.

Thanks Chas and GN5 for game updates and clips

I did stop and attempt to get me phone hooked up but the car doesn’t read afc.com words or have blue teeth either. Shit car. Shit pilot 🙂

Micky
    What car have you got?
    Not that old Focus still, surely?

Ah, cars. My favourite things 🙂

We do have a shit ford, but I prefer it to the friggin’ landrover discovery tank I’m in today. It is good for lugging tents, surf boards, canoes, dogs and stuff around I suppose

Ha ha, now Arsenal are on a revenge mission ie flogging crap merchandise back to the Chinese that made the stuff

Shame they’re not purple.

purple is soooo passe

my daughter chose the purple colour and indeed she chose the latest incarnation and in comparison they’re very sober. Unlike her 🙂

Apricot?

no such luck. I think she’s decided enough is enough

Comment to go with 6:40……

Teppanyaki, anyone? Wilson, Graham, McLintock, Neill, Gould and Storey dining-out on a 1968 tour. In Japan. In aprons. #AFC #Arsenal

Pre-season tour of Japan in 1968 – who would’ve thought.

Hey Chas

I renewed my Red Memberships yesterday. Can’t think why, but I joined the season ticket waiting list a few years ago. I noticed that again I’ve been demoted. I’ve now slipped to 57,000! Backwards down the list I go. Any thoughts? 🙂

You can’t go down the list surely?
    Unless going Silver gets you above all the Reds so as to jump the queue?

Right. Got to meet someone for grub. I fear it’s going to be more of a bush tucker trial. Oh well.

Loved the Iwobi goal. A Star is what he could become.

Mmm, could be that. Mind you, don’t want another season ticket anyway, just curious. Must go.

Happy to see a tad more participation today, I’m off out now to pick up my grandchildren..

93. 1979Gunner says:

If The Sun is to believed – M Elneny has turned down the chance to join Leicester after Arsenal accepted their £10M bid. WTF? I rate Elneny as a good player. Twice the player that Coquelin is.

94. fred1266 says:

Was just reading a rating for the game they were giving everyone 3 and 4 but realized if bullshit when they said Neuer saved lacazette shot

Police up a pole is cool
    Bee photo incredible

Just thinking. Suppose Arsene’s position is we’ll get a Lemar sort in before Sanchez can leave. A Lemar sort arrives but still no-one wants the dog lover.

Kerching for us fans. We have two players 🙂

100. RC78 says:

Lemar is a great player, an improvement from Iwobi for sure and in the same vein as Ozil BUT he is not going to add goals nor bring steel to our team. If we sell Ozil, then OK but he is in no way a replacement for Sanchez

In midfield, I would encourage AW to make a bid for R. Sanches. Bayern is going to let him go at least on loan maybe even a sale but I would say to loan him with an option to buy him. He will bring something else to our squad – we could then let go of Wilshere or El Neny.

If Sanchez goes, I would really hope that AW brings Mahrez in and he can also get Ben Arfa for free from PSG.

Morning all.

Great photos and vids Chas. The 5.33pm yesterday of the fans reactions at the FA cup final. I am sure one of the focussed on fans was sitting really near me….the Jaap Stam lookalike. I remember saying to my compatriot that the fellow just down to our left looked like Jaap Stam and am sure it is him.

Carlo Ancelotti seems a thoroughly decent chap, and top coach to boot. He has 10 years on Arsene so should be seriously considered as a transitional manager when Arsene finishes. After that it may be easier for a younger coach to step in, maybe one of our own.

102. VP of Oz says:

so 3 wins in 3 games…
    you cant read too much into these pre-season friendlies but that said, I think we are on well on the way to becoming the greatest football team…

103. VP of Oz says:

When we got back to my cousins after the game on Sat night, we were all very excited so I said, stuff this, lets all jump in the car and drive back to Melbourne all through the night.

Anyway through the midlands, temperatures were below zero and the car was having trouble maintaining 30degrees.
    We had to slow down to half the speed due to fog and the carnage of kangaroos was unbelievable. You could follow the trail of blood and body parts from impact through to about 100 metres down the road.

We slowed down at the right time to allow our marked kangaroo live another day and glad we did because he was huge and gave us the death stare as we drove around him.

Any way, I’ve come down sick all week because of my rash decision. In hindsight, I’d do it all again the same way. My kids have real life trauma that they can now use for better life decisions going forward.

and finally, my daughter did an awesome driving. Her first time doing such a long long road trip and she was focused and brilliant.

cheers

Great stuff, VP.
    I often feel a bit ropey for a day or two after getting back at 1am from Arse games in midweek.
    Ant’s never hit a kangaroo, mind. 🙂

Congrats to your daughter on the drive. Hope the phlegm came off the seats ok.

Happy to hear you are home safe VP, thank you for your contributions to our Australian experience, and thumbs up to your daughter for showing her driving skills – as soon as she understands the dashboard everything will be fine 🙂 🙂

It’s been a real pleasure vicariously following you and your family to watch Arsenal playing down under. Thank you.

Great work this morning Chas. I even got my first bee’s eye view.

Games are coming thick and fast now –

July 22 – Chelsea – Pre season
    July 29 – Benfica – Pre season
    July 30 – Sevilla – Pre -season
    Aug 6 – Chelsea – Charity shield
    Aug 11 – Leicester – Premier league.

108. Top stuff VP

Bloody Hell, you make that Road Trip sound like a Horror movie? I know exactly how you feel, I’ve been to Middlesbrough.

Been really impressed with Maitland Niles on this tour. In fact, been so impressed i would like to sleep with. Yes Yes, I know what your thinking, don’t be so disgusting Transplant, the mans a Conservative.

However, any one who can make that ponce Ribbery feel real pain from a crunching tackle as opposed to the imaginary diving type, must be slept with.

Terry, you’re at it again 🙂 🙂

110. chas mobile says:

I’ve been off line all day with computer issues, all solved now.

I’m looking forward to tomorrows “friendly” – it would be just great to beat them.

Don’t go anywhere today

Busiest day of the year on roads and in the air.

I’m going on the sea 🙂

Doing a newsnow check, I notice how many Arsenal fans “hail” eg

“Arsenal fans hail Ozil Agent………
    “Thierry Henry and Robert Pires hail Arsenal midfielder……

Am I alone in not “hailing”?

Wow, don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo taken from the away end during that game. Superb

7:29 🙂

Hey Chas. I’ve been getting quite sentimental this morning. The reason? I’ve been researching a present for one of my brothers’ 50th birthday and looking at turntables. Oh, the memories

Do you have one?

Not really.
    I have one of those turntables which turn vinyl into MP3 but it’s a bit shite.

Ah, ok.
    I even saw a pic of a Garrard turntable just like I used to have in some shithole of a bedsit with the floor strewn with 45’s

Back to football, I see Chelsea have signed Morata. If Costa is leaving (is he?) then I reckon they’ve gone dramatically backwards on the striker front

I’m amazed at the lack of big signings in the prem given the vast amounts of cash sloshing about

Ah Crystals. Miss him.

124. VP of Oz says:

According to News Now –
    Coutinhho to Barcelona
    Mbappe to Real Madrid
    Neymar to PSG
    Serge Aurier to Spurs to fund Sanchez to PSG (because Neymar does not need funding, lol)
    Ox to Chelsea (because we wont sell Sanchez to EPL rivals but that must exclude the Ox, lol)

Ok, in for lunch and some football on afc.com

Like the earlier pics and especially mine from ze mountains above Munich. That was a great trip despite losing.

Must do another one with Raddy. The win in Dortmund was faaaaantastic despite having to travel with a socialist, bless him 🙂

Arsenal substitutes: Martinez, Bielik, Koscielny, Kolasinac, Coquelin, Elneny, Nelson, Malen, Nketiah, Giroud, Welbeck

Arsenal XI: Ospina, Maitland-Niles, Mertesacker, Monreal, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Xhaka, Bramall, Ozil, Iwobi, Lacazette

Good, Ox starting and like Iwobi with Mesut. Exciting

Not too sure I understand the line up Micky. Who are the back 3 and who are the wing backs?
    Does anyone know this game is live on arsenal player?

Hi GB

There’s a graphic of line up on the site

…..M-N Per Mon
    Ox Xhak Ram Bram
    …….Mesut Iwobi
    …………Laca

Maitland Niles in the back 3 looks like too much tinkering to me. He is a midfielder or wing back. I was hoping AW would look at him as a RWB more but as one of the back 3???

130. fred1266 says:

Back 3 Niles per and monreal

131. fred1266 says:

Back 3 playing rather high up

GB
    At RWB? Surely only if either Bell or Ox are leaving

133. fred1266 says:

Same can be said for monreal GB

Apart from goals, some good stuff

135. fred1266 says:

Like what micky

Iwobi, of course, Fred 🙂

Like to see Kolasinac

Ollie is on the afc team list pre-game

139. fred1266 says:

What you think of KALA SONIC. So far micky

140. fred1266 says:

When you think we would realize we only getting countered

Fred
    First I’ve seen of him and he’s out of position, so hard to say. Looks strong and fast, so that’s a plus

Difficult in general to gauge things with so many players in unusual positions defensively

Guess there’ll be more settled look at Ems Cup games

Something Arsene appears to be giving fairly serious thought to, is Elneny in the back row seats

143. fred1266 says:

Yea he is strong on the ball but his defending a bit awful, I remember against Bayern he was taken off for poor defending on a set piece but as u said out of position so will need time to adjust

My understanding is that Sanchez is due to rejoin the squad on July 31st, I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what is on his mind.

147. Zee says:

Morning Chas, I like those pics – especially the Gillespie Road one – who was the bright spark who built houses either side it. Probably did not think we would get too many fans wanting to use it.

The ‘rabbit’ one was clever – I wish I had seen it before I asked for it with garlic.

148. Zee says:

Chas, Rasp, Peaches, Big Un or whoever is at home, I can type up a Post for you as I have some spare time – just let me know – or not! 😀

Always – yes please.

Zee you never have to ask, your posts are always welcome.

Love the old gas lamp in the Gillispie Road picture. We used to have one outside of our house and us kids loved watching the lamplighter doing his job every night.

152. Zee says:

Chas,

I have put the article onto the previous Post, so you can copy and paste, as required.

Thought you might find room for it so finished before my meeting at 11:30 — not too good as written at speed as usual. 😀

Hi GN5 — thank you. 😀

Got to get back into the meeting.

Where is everybody hiding?

NEW POST

155. Zee says:

Here we go, Chas.

The Ups and Downs of Arsenal

This is the time of the year when Arsenal, and every other club, seem to be caught in the footballing equivalent of the doldrums, once the bane of every sailing ship known to man, where a relatively calm period occurs out of nowhere, and during which time no wind has the temerity to stick its nose in, and indeed prefers to disappear like ice cream in a hot oven, trapping sailing ships for lengthy periods lasting days, weeks and sometimes months, where for what seemed an eternity to their crews – nothing happened.

The transfer window is the fans version of the fabled doldrums, where during a tedious and seemingly never-ending period, dozens of transfer rumours are offered up by the media and many blogsites, on a daily basis, and then roundly condemned and ridiculed as nonsense by the very same blogsites and sports media who started the stupid stories running in the first place.

Then just to give us a short break, these same rumour mongers announce stories, designed to add more click bait to bolster their media and blog site advertising revenues, they feed us cute stories which are hard to prove, or disprove, as falsehoods often are. The trick here is to base the rumours on stories with just a smidgeon of possible truths, and embellish them with wild abandon and make them into something far more juicy.

Instances of this are: Injured Cazorla out until February 2018 – Lucas disgusted with Wenger for pinching his #9 shirt and giving it to someone else – Wenger bids €100m for Mbappe – and then these gems are swiftly followed up by: Cazorla trains with team, back soon – Lucas to leave for more game time – Wenger denies making any bid for Mbappe – and away we go, with fans pointlessly arguing for or against whichever nonsense proposition catches their eye.

And still the transfer doldrums bear down, trying to suffocate us with their mediocrity.

But wait – from out of left field the clubs decide to join in and titivate our sensibilities by entering the spirit of this nonsense and allegedly willy-nilly start to offer kings’ ransoms for this player or that.

Not your boring common or garden £80m or £100m offers for a striker, or two, obviously, but €200m for Neymar or Mbappe (yes him again) and we all laugh holding our bellies, and scoffing at these crazy stories, until, in keeping with this cornucopia of scrumptious jelly and cream La La Land make believe, the reality squirts out from the asshole of the transfer window – Citeh sign Walker – yes that Walker – from the Spuds, for £55m – now that is both unbelievable and incredible, and shows reality can outshine even the most fanciful banality. Yee Gods.

Any sense of reality just evaporates with that news – but hold on, one of the blogsites today insists that Wenger is still in the hunt for Mbappe. Who could credit that? Tomorrow – Wenger denies bid for Mbappe – and off we go again.

I am on record in saying the transfer window should start after the season ends, and finishes on the 31st July – but I am not so sure. Much as I am consecutively annoyed, intrigued, baffled or sneer at these farcical stories, they do actually give me something to fill the doldrums betwixt the ending of one season and the start of the new one – so let the good times roll.

What say you? 😂