All Aboard the Transfer Merry-Go-Round

What is going on with these transfer bids — and rebids?

A juicy rumour appears out of nowhere linking Arsenal to a player we can all see is exactly what the team need – you know you have seen those tidbits many times – right?
Then the next snippet comes out saying ‘club x’ refuses the bid.

Umm? Usually in short order another juicy morsel floats across the screen saying that ‘Arsenal make an improved offer for player x’ and we await with baited breath for the news that the offer has been accepted and the player to eventually be unveiled at the Emirates.

Except the media swiftly announce with unseemly glee that the new super dooper improved offer has been rejected, too.

That normally cues the delightful blogger rants about tight fisted Arsenal, or dithering AW, or …. Well you get the drift. So, what is really going on?

The above sequence is, of course, made worse by the news that Madrid or Chelsea or Manure or Citeh have smartly collared various top class (and some not too top class) players who will almost certainly improve their squads and simultaneously reduce our chances of winning the premier league.

It is clear that Arsenal are intent on buying new players and have already shown that by spending around £52m on La Caz, but seem to have run into trouble when making offers for Lemar and others, which has increased the fans’ frustration – and let’s be honest the Arsenal fans’ frustration does not take much to be unleashed.

Back to the earlier question; ‘what is really going on?’

Allowance has to be made for the media’s eagerness to invent stories to boost their ‘hits’ and many of the stories of various players that Arsenal have been linked with are absolutely and self-evidently untrue.

However, there are other stories that are so detailed that even the most cynical are led to believe there is some truth in them, no matter how unlikely.
Take for example the stories about Mbappe, and the very detailed news about how much we have offered for him, and the improved offers after the seemingly inevitable rejection and the ‘facts’ that other clubs are also interested or have lost interest in him and so on and so forth.

Like a juicy worm attracting a fish, with the fatal hook artfully concealed, the Gooner fans are drawn into believing that there is something intriguingly possible about this story and fatally their hopes are increased that a super talent is to be ours, only for Arsene to reveal in an interview that no bid has been made for Mbappe, let alone an increased bid, and none will be made as he is sure the youngster will either stay with his club or join one of the Gulf state clubs, Citeh, PSG, or a Spanish club, and you could hear the hopes of the fans crash to the floor.

Leaving aside the manipulation of the media and some copy cat blogs, there must be something else going on, because Arsenal’s campaign to buy La Caz ambled through much the same type of bid-rejection-increased bid- rejection-successful bid before agreeing personal terms with our new centre forward.

On to Lemar, our much desired target, wanted to perhaps replace Santi Cazorla, and we see much the same process being enacted, if the rumours are true in this case.

Why do we need to struggle so much to arrive at the willing buyer/willing seller scenario so that we can acquire the player? Are we really being financially mean? Is Mr Wenger really dithering by being undecided as to whether we need Lemar – or should it perhaps be Mahrez? Oh, why can’t Wenger just simply agree to pay whatever the amount the other club are asking for the player from the outset. After all is said and done (again) they have the power in these circumstances, don’t they?

Now this, I think, is where many of the club’s detractors, and of course Wenger’s too, simply overlook a simple and obvious fact – the majority of the top clubs, and some of those in the second tier, from whom we want to buy relevant top players, are owned by incredibly rich men, known as oligarchs for a good reason, or bottomless money pits, known as state-owned clubs, and we all know who they are, simply do not need the money, however much is offered.

The only way these mega rich clubs will sell their players is if they have a vested interest in doing so – the manager does not see the player fitting in with the team selection or style — the player and the manager do not get on – the player is not getting as much playing time as he wants and is agitating for a move – and so on.

So, these stories of bids and rejections and improved bids are unlikely to be true – it is more than likely a club has to register an interest in a player they want to buy, and wait to see if his club makes its mind up to sell – and letting the other clubs and the player’s agent know, and then sit back and await the club who are prepared to match their transfer valuation and meet the player’s personal terms, while they go through the same process to recruit a replacement.

Financial meanness or dithering do not come into it, so those people giving the club or the manager grief should take a breath and give them, and him, a break. It’s not transfer money that is key here – even £200m for someone like Neymar is just petty cash to these ultra-wealthy club owners – the key is, they will only sell when and if the player is deemed to be no longer of benefit to them.

There are always wheels within wheels in these things!

Written by Zee

131 Responses to All Aboard the Transfer Merry-Go-Round

1. Zee says:

Chas,

I love your pics! 😀

Back later, hopefully.

Great stuff, Zee.
    This summer has been fairly painless for me so far.
    The relatively early acquisitions of Kolasinac and Lacazette have helped to keep the moaning hordes reasonably quiet.

I’d imagine our business is now complete as far as incomings are concerned, unless a domino-effect late on means some bargains suddenly become available.

This won’t please those who think we’re only half a dozen players short of a title-winning side, but who gives a Hoover Dam about them. 🙂

Zee, you have summed up in a nut shell (well a bushel of nuts) why I get so wound up at those that are gullible enough to actually believe the “fillers” that media uses to gain hits and keep their advertisers happy.

Chas, you have an extraordinary knack of finding the perfect images to compliment posts.

By Lyall Thomas
    Last Updated: 24/07/17 11:36am
    Alexis Sanchez has not asked to leave Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger insists
    Arsene Wenger says Paris Saint-Germain are going after Barcelona’s Neymar because they know they have no chance of signing Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal.
    The Gunners boss insists Sanchez has not asked to leave this summer and is adamant he will not be sold regardless.
    Wenger’s continued defiance comes despite Sanchez stating last week that he had informed Arsenal of his position and wanted to play in the Champions League.
    Sanchez is still on holiday after turning out for Chile in the Confederations Cup
    Wenger said: “Has he asked to leave? No. PSG can’t get Sanchez, so they are going for Neymar.
    “My mind has been made up for a while now. I think I’ve made it clear a few times; that this is my stance.
    “We are in a strong financial position. Sanchez has got one year to go on his contract and we have no need to make money.
    “He will be part of the team next year and after that I can understand it.”
    Speaking from Beijing on his side’s pre-season tour of Australia and China, Wenger also suggested Sanchez has been the subject of tapping up – an issue that has come under intense scrutiny in the current transfer window.
    “If you have top players you cannot stop it from happening. It’s frustrating but you’ve got to fight against it,” the Frenchman said.
    “Honestly, it is a problem, I don’t deny that. But is there a realistic way to fight against it? That’s the question that I ask.
    We’ve fought against this for 20 years but it still happens. How can you check when an agent meets a director from another club or which player speaks to who?
    “It happens every day. I don’t know what we need to do really because no-one has found the right solution.
    “We are respectful with the clubs. We ask them what they want to do, and if they don’t want to sell then we don’t insist. For some, that is where the difference is.”

Zee, AW has to continually face the media and is forced to deny their erroneous “reporting”. – like the above comment.

Alan ‎@305Gunner

Pep Guardiola has spent £346.5M since he came to England a year ago. I don’t know about you, but that’s the trait of a cheque-book manager.

12:05 PM – 23 Jul 2017

Chas all that money spent and zero trophies won plus they only finished 3 points ahead of us in the PL. We won the FA Cup and, spent way less cash – but which manager takes the most grief from both the media and their fans.

8. wally says:

Speaking of transfers i thout there was to be culling of the deadwood. So far we’ve done SFA.

wenger’s treatment of perez is most puzzling. Won’t play him, won’t take him on tour, gives his number away and tells him after the fact, and won’t sell him WTF is that about?

What has this kid done that wenger treats him like a steaming pile of shite?

His treatment reflects poorly on the club, the manager and the decision making process at the club doesn’t it.

9. Zee says:

That is puzzling, Wally. Do you have any answers?

10. Zee says:

That is an interesting article, GN5, and it does raise a number of issues, one of which is the shameful tapping up of other clubs’ players.

AW admits that he does not know how to avoid this happpening, and my advice would be to just let it go – it will never go away and without a viable solution it is pointless to pursue it.

The more contentious issue, in my opinion, is the nonsense engaged in by Sanchez. Well nonsense from where I stand – tho I sympathise with players making the best of their fortune while they are young enough to do so.

Again it is wishful thinking to hope he will change his mind and keeping him at Arsenal against his wishes may not be detrimental on the pitch, because I think he will try his best to score for us and himself – but his attitude is bound to sour the dressing room relationships, and it would be better to get rid, take the money and invest it in a younger goal scorer – and it surely cannot be beyond the wit of man (or Arsenal) to find such a player.

Zee, Zee, Zee, what a lovely surprise.

Love transfer goss. Love the stuff to bits, I do. Don’t believe a word of it but that is irrelevant. I tend to agree with Chas, and reckon our business is done unless a Sanchez wants out, which brings me to the power of the players.

They really do hold the aces, so if DNA comes calling, or perhaps childhood dreams of lifting ‘Ol Big Ears, then cash in you must.

Zee
    Just read your Sanchez comment
    I do wonder how much the Mahrez/Lemar noise could simply be sending out contract negotiation signals of “there are others out there”

Actually, now I think about it, I do recall that very club announcement saying summer business would include a “culling of the deadwood”. Their exact words.

I also feel that we are slow in selling players that are deemed to longer fit the bill but I like to know where you get your information from Wally. I cannot find a legitimate Arsenal source that gives any specifics on who are considered to be excess.

15. Zee says:

Hi Micky,

“Culling of the deadwood” – of course the Arsenal would use such vulgar statements – how could I doubt you? 🙂

OK for the rest of us – but the Arsenal? Mmmm?

It is the case that a number of players have reached their ‘sell by’ date – Gibbs, Le Coq (?), Jack, Jenkinson, Ospina, Theo – nope, AW could never bring himself to let him go, Perez. At least 7, and a whole raft of kids, possibly, no – probably.

I always feel sorry for the latter – so near for the youngsters and yet so far.

16. Zee says:

I thanked Chas earlier for his selection of pics that exactly matched the Post – and the thought struck me that he has come so far from his early days on AA when he was quite diffident – he might not like the fact I see in him an inherent managerial talent – bloody capitalist!! 😀

Thanx again, Chas.

17. Zee says:

I think Wally is doing what we all do at this stage of the transfer window – speculating what the state of play is – and ruminating on the likely comings and goings, and some of us, if we are honest, get impatient from time to time.

Chas and GN5 have probably got the most sensible attitude in sensing we have done our shopping for this window, but if you tickled me and would not stop until I confessed who else I thought might come in – like Rafinha, Lemar, Goretska, Carvalho, Asensio and Mahrez, I could always deny later.

Well you did not stop tickling me!!! Two out of that lot would do nicely – and I would be ecstatic with even one of them – but who? Hmm 😀

Are you saying I’m arrogant?
    I know someone from Cuffley who would agree with you.

Actually, maybe it wasn’t ‘arrogant’, more like ‘self-righteous prick’.

I’ve come so far!

20. Zee says:

No not arrogant, Chas, far from it – but damsel’s from Cuffley are always right you know – even when they are not! 😀

Right Zee

Here comes some tickling

Defence….good
    Wide half wing midfield backs…good
    If Sanchez stays, and the new boy is as good as his price tag suggests, then attack….good
    That leaves centre mid and the Xhaka Ramsey zone. This is the area I reckon Arsene might strengthen

22. Zee says:

Agreed, Mickish. 🙂

I would be candid and say that I would finish off the team building with both a new CB and MF addition.

Two of the names that might fill the midfield role could be Rafinha or Carvalho, and at CB Varane, or Thiago Silva.

OK – the CBs were not included in my earlier comment and may be impossible to prise away from their clubs but with two from that bunch we would flyyyyyyy. 😀

23. Zee says:

Sadly, I must fly too – hopefully others, including the Cuffley One, might return tomorrow.

Bon soir, mes amis. 🙂

Are you off to be Candid for the night, and does said alter-ego require a dress and that sort of thing?

25. wally says:

gn5, nowhere in particular. Some times the press sometimes common sense.
    On the press a simple example would wengers quote back in May that he wanted to trim the squad and add what else but nothing of the top, top, top, the very top of the toppest players. It’s an easy google for anyone interested.
    As to who should go? It’s not rocket science. They have 34 players on the first team. An absolutely ridiculous number. You can easily count 10 who’ll never see a minute of even the bench. And in all likelihood we’re stuck with them. wenger’s philosophy of fiscal egalite means we’re paying ridiculous wages to these people and have no chance to sell them unless we take on a portion of their wages.
    I’d bet those 10 players are paid over $1mm a week for doing sfa. Could have easily bot Lamar if we weren’t so poorly managed on the contract front.

Zee,
    Two possiblities. 1) wenger is wanker and that’s what wankers do
    2) Sanchez stays and Giroud wants out (effectively two guys that want out) or Sanchez goes, Giroud stays. In either event he’s only got 5 strikers and he doesn’t want to get caught short. He’d rather screw perez than get caught short. And again he’s boxed himself into this position thru player and fiscal mismanagement.

26. Jnyc says:

Zee ! (R? )
    Great job as always. I was struck by Wengers quotes yesterday. Seems there’s no way he can sell Alexis after saying all that. Even mentions that the team does not need the money (big statement), which is, i think aimed to be heard by the board of directors…. meaning.. if he is sold, the fans have a right to complain.

Also, very importantly, all of these quotes were put right up on arsenal.com … they didnt have to do that, and I’m sure they wouldn’t have done so if there was any chance that he was posturing.

Perfect outcome, as i read somewhere else, would be similar to David de gea manu- madrid saga. Player wants to go, club refuse to sell. Player signs big new contract rather than risk a costly injury in final year. We could also add in a fair buyout clause after one year that satisfies everyone, but much higher for English clubs.

If I’m wrong, and Sanchez is sold, This will be the biggest lie i can remember, and i will have no faith in Arsene from here on.. but i dont think it will come to that.

Morning Chas 🙂

Ooops, City have just signed another expensive player from Monaco

That’s now three First XI’ers they’ve flogged to the Prem

I don’t really understand City’s scattergun approach to buying players.
    If you were going to buy a spud, surely Kyle Walker would come well down the list?
    Mendy and Otamendi as centerbacks?

Swansea reject 40million for Sigurdsson.
    The figures bandied about are just absurd

The overall amounts I get as that’s the market, however, the relative values between some deals is, as you say, absurd

By the way, if we string together four or so sensible football related comments all before 8am, do we get a gentlemen’s visual treat for being good?

Any international traveller sorts around?

I’ve got chums coming to stay today and they’re flying in from California. Land London lunchtime. Be with us by 6pm. Will they want breakfast, lunch, supper or what tonight?

THAT does not count, although the reference to two dirty old men is understandable

Your head cropping is very accurate and professional looking, although I miss the early days where they looked as though cut out by a six year old with a pair of garden shears

ha ha ha

7:47
    Your work is complete

37. Zee says:

Morning Folks, 🙂

38. Zee says:

Hi Micky,

You know full well (your comment @ 8:30 p.m.) that I wear a silky smooth, figure hugging black dress after 9 p.m. and 6 inch stilettos to boot – you promised not to say anything – so I feel at liberty to mention your garish red lippy and the fact you wear a fetching tiny skirt and matching ankle boots – and all the time going commando.

Remember not to bend over to get a ciggy lit you minx!

39. Zee says:

Wally, @ 9:27 p.m.

You seem to have all the answers to your own question.

40. Zee says:

Hi jnyc,

long time no see. 🙂 It is possible that this is me wearing a new-ish nom de guerre and yet another on BK – tho no ones there when I pop in to chat.

Hope all is well with you. 😀

41. Zee says:

jnyc,

Unfortunately AW does seem to have painted himself into a corner with his comments about Sanchez staying come what may, as you say, and it is difficult to see how he can wriggle out of that.

The rumours of a swap for two PSG players or for Aguerro at Man Citeh, have started to re-emerge, and both options might well suit the fans — but now??????

Zee

Mock me not, I know what I’m talking about. Many, many years ago, I was chumy with a bunch of Brasilian transvestites who were all prostitutes. I’d chat with them before a nights’ work then again in the morning. Boy did the big fellas look rough in the morning

Apols, but back to football for a second

GB has been known, on rare occasions, to state that we’re two players short, and I agree

We haven’t had a proper striker since Brave Sir Robin, so hopefully Lacazette will resolve that

Then the midfielder. In one player, we need the skill of Santi, engine of Aaron, physicality of Yaya, and the leadership of a Big Tone. In short, Paddy V.

Is he still available, and if not, who is there out there?

Jens Lehmann at Arsenal: Robert Pires and Gilberto Silva back return
    By Adam Bate
    Last Updated: 25/07/17 10:03am
    Will Jens Lehmann’s return to Arsenal make a difference? Robert Pires and Gilberto Silva are convinced it will. Sky Sports caught up with his old team-mates to find out why…
    Arsene Wenger has already suggested that the return of Jens Lehmann as Arsenal’s new first-team coach can help institute a winning mentality among the team and that’s a view shared by his former Gunners team-mates.
    Robert Pires and Gilberto Silva played alongside Lehmann in Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ – the team who went through the entire 2003/04 Premier League season without defeat – and they both expect the German’s demanding attitude to rub off on the players.
    Pires spent three years at Arsenal with Lehmann and sees him as the man to bring dJiscipline. “It is good news,” he tells Sky Sports. “I’m very pleased for Jens, he’s a good guy and a good professional. He can help the goalkeepers but not only them, the rest of the squad as well.
    “You need to have a competitive side and Jens has always had that. He’s a great professional. He’s a German too, so he has his own rules. Sometimes he is very strict, but you need to have discipline in the dressing room and Jens is the man to bring that.”
    Gilberto Silva arrived Arsenal in 2002 and was joined by Lehmann the following year, going on to spend a further five seasons alongside the goalkeeper. The Brazilian midfielder shares the view that this is a positive change for the Gunners.
    “I am very pleased for Jens and for the club,” he tells Sky Sports. “He is a very professional person and a guy who is passionate for the game. I am sure it will be very important for the club to have him around because he is the kind of person who pushes the other guys when he sees something that is not right. The way he does things is in a very positive way.
    “Maybe sometimes people saw him do things in the past and had a different interpretation of things but the way he was with us, sometimes we laughed. But in the end, we knew he was doing it for the benefit of the team. Sometimes you must have someone like this.”

45. wally says:

Zee,
    In lieu of offering your own opinion you asked me for mine. That i offered it doesn’t mean i have the answers just an opinion.

So then, what is your opinion? Is wenger being fair to perez? Is this the behaviour of a gentleman? Is this the behaviour of a honest broker? Why do you think wenger is treating him in this fashion?

I’m back.

Here’s my take on your question on Wally.

A manager’s job is to field the players who he thinks are most likely to be successful against the opposition they face, at no time should he consider the players feelings – just their capabilities – emotions should never come into the decision making process.

The fact that Perez has not been playing does not mean he is/was being mistreated it’s simply that others were considered as better options – which is the managers right.

All we know about the managers dealings with the player is nothing more than speculation that is driven by the media who are seeking attention.

It’s only natural to feel sorry for Perez and he to feel sorry for himself, in his position we would all be pissed off and ask for a transfer. However it’s obvious that Arsenal have not received any offers or at least offers they will accept.

His shirt number being given to another player appears to be an administrative oversight, but it may not be Arsene’s oversight as he may have delegated the communication to someone else.

48. wally says:

n5,
    Whether he was good enough is not part of the issue is it. wenger himself said that perez deserved better last season. That he would talk with him in the off-season about what his role would be next season. If you want to be better informed on that issue you can actually google it.
    Now it comes out that he wanted to go to china in jan but was nixed on the promise of more playing time which never arrived did it.
    He’s been left off the Asian tour, his number given away without even a word. An administrative oversight? What a load of mularkey.

People blather on about wenger’s and arsenal’s values. Does anyone here think this is a good representation of those values? Lying to a player? Giving his number away without telling him?

And there’s nothing speculative about this. it’s all part of the public record, straight from the wenger’s and perez’ mouth. You could ask mr. google.

So we won’t sell him, won’t play him, yet we’ll keep paying his wages and fuck him over for his attempts to make the spanish team. And this helps the team how? These are the new Arsenal values?

Want some more good news? Apparently we’ve exercised our buy back on a player for $4mm we thought we could sell for $5mm. Except now we can’t, he failed his physical. Instead of cutting the deadwood we appear to be adding to it.

49. Zee says:

Wally @12:23

If I had an opinion I would have proffered it to you.

GN5 has offered his opinion @ 2:18 which seems spot on to me.

Wally, Life is all about opinions. You appear to dig up, from your undisclosed sources, anything that you can to discredit Arsene Wenger, or Arsenal, whereas I only rely on information that I can attribute to valid sources, particularly Arsenal.com.

I see no point in continuing this dialogue and will end in saying that we are totally opposite types of supporters who quite obviously see a glass that is 50% filled in a different way.

51. wally says:

You could only offer snark in lieu of an opinion? So you were just trolling me.

Good to know.

Apologies Zee for my late arrival …. great to see your name at the bottom of a post again (even though it’s a different name 🙂 )

The money being paid is ludicrous and surely even the most blinkered supporters can see that 98% of the speculation going on is pure bollix.

I think we are trying to buy one other player .. as a form of insurance if you like. I would guess that the most likely scenario is that we buy either Lemar or Mahrez and Sanchez goes abroad … PSG? … and to be honest, I’d be happy with that.

53. Zee says:

Hi Rasper, 🙂

Thank you for your usual support – altho my Posts have often proven to be damp squibs. 😀

I agree with your view, and I too would be happy with either Lemar or Mahrez coming in, and with Sanchez going abroad.

Hi Redders, absolutely, we don’t want a player who doesn’t want to play for us …. I understand why AW is sounding adamant that he will stay but we all know how that usually ends 🙂

55. Top stuff RedZee

Many years ago I use to enjoy the transfer market. The late Sir Denis Hillwood puffing on his cigar whilst receiving a shoe shine from Ken Friar calling the oik chairman of Newcastle to enquire how much for McDonald?

Knowing the Geordie would get excited by figures resembling the cutting of a large meat pie, an offer of 1/3 million pounds and a London tour bus ride clinched the deal.

Now what do have? An excuse for moaners to indulge there favourite passtime. I am convinced that many of these people subconsciously want to us fail and the thought of resigning Sanago eliminated there erectile dysfunction

Maybe it’s a good thing. Next time I spend 2 hours staring through a chemist window or have an irresistible urge to ring Pele, maybe I should think about resigning Sanago?

56. wally says:

n5, they’re not undisclosed sources. This is an attempt to discredit the argument out of hand. It suggests that you’re only willing to admit one point of view which is a terribly parochial perspective.

And what is wrong with pointing out that wenger is treating Perez badly. You’d prefer to ignore these things that make a mockery of what we think we value? Or do we only spout values as a moral high ground in lieu of actual success on the field? Do we only allow minor criticism of the manager or the club (is there a difference these days)?

I want the team, THE TEAM, to be better. And it’s my opinion that the things wenger is doing, has been doing, are not making the team better, merely treading water if not sinking further behind. I also think that this behaviour tarnishes our image.

If you’d like to dispute that we can have a conversation around that but bring some substance to the conversation, it makes for a better conversation. For example you could tell us why we have 9-10 players who will never suit up for arsenal and yet receive some $20+mm a year in wages is better for the club than spending that money on buying better players. Enlighten us as to why it’s a sign of good financial management, good examples of identifying talented players who’ll help make the team better.

57. VP of Oz says:

How are we treating Perez badly?
    If he was able to contribute he would get played and he does not own his number. The rest is speculation.
    So AW says that Perez deserved better last season. I read that as he was not good enough but not for want of trying.
    This is no school boys team. Players should only play if they are going to help us win. Its not a charity and if they dont get played, aw shucks, move on.

58. fred1266 says:

We going to the dogs

This whole Wellington Silva debacle

I’d like to thank Lucas Perez for his contribution towards our FA Cup win.

Micky warming up for a day at the surf.

Well, I heard Arsene spat in Perez’ face then disrespected his Mum

I’m disgusted and appalled

Need cheering up

62. Zee says:

Good Morning, cat lovers everywhere.

One or two pudgies in there Chas, and I sympathise with them, but they are wonderful animals, some of whom have allowed me and my family to love them – despite me being primarily a dog person.

63. Zee says:

Missed you, again, Terry, but stop gazing into pharmacy windows – you’ll go blind!! 😀

64. Zee says:

Anyone notice the bollix about AW buying back Wellington de Silva to sell him on at a profit, and looking a pillock when he failed his Bordeaux medical? Well it was in a red top paper, so it must have been right — as if.

Well, it seems to have been the bollix most people knew it to be.
    Arsenal put a ‘sell on’ in his contract when he was sold back to his original club, and that was the extra money we would have got if the Bordeaux deal had gone thru.

So the little bit about Arsenal buying him back to sell him on at a profit and then getting stuck with him was total rubbish — but no one believed that – did they?

🙂 🙂 top drawer Zee ….

You gotta laugh about Moaninho complaining about the money being spent on players.

The ex chavski big spender, now the manc big spender, needs to look in the mirror methinks 🙄

I like the rumour about Seri … a perfect Santi replacement … particularly if Jack and The Ox are also doing the ofski …

68. wally says:

How are we treating Perez badly? You don’t think lying to him is treating him badly?

Only reported by red tops? Sports Illustrated a red top? Who knew?

Has the player stepped forward to deny the remarks? Has the club?

69. VP of Oz says:

If you think we are treating Perez badly, go look over at Conte and Costa
    If you think we are treating Perez badly, go look at how some are treating AW
    seriously, this cant be a thing can it

Hi Wally, you seem to be fixating on a single topic again. We’ve understood your viewpoint on this matter.

For most of us, the blog site is not a battle ground on which to beat someone into submission, rather a comfy bar or front room for a chat with mates.

If I were GN5, I’d be feeling a tad harassed by your targeting of his comments. He just happens to disagree with your view on certain topics … you can accept that can’t you?

The whole topic is academic any way because none of us know the real circumstances surrounding the acquisition of players or the reasons why they do or do not get played. I have an insight into another top 10 EPL club, and the inside info on the player’s behaviour/training is quite shocking.

I doubt AW has been the driving force behind every transfer … Park Chu-Young for instance. He played one game for us and was pinched from under the noses of another club when having a medical.

Rasp,

Let’s hope that common sense prevails and we can have some harmonious dialogue.

73. Mrs Perez says:

Lucas ees my good boy.
    Disgusting how Wenga treat my lovely boy.

74. Papa Perez says:

Wassa marrer wid my boy innit?

Lucas is bit mouthy, but he ees mama’s boy and they all bit mouthy you know whata I means don you.

Give heem a few bobs an he go someplace else an having a moan inee?

Wassat you sayin Mama Perez – I know nothing bout any treat from Wenga – why I no get a treat too – iss the dong of the donkey maybe?

Aha looks like it might be Papa Terez looking after his little boy……………

76. wally says:

Let’s be clear rasp. I’ve not mentioned n5 except in his response to my comments. If he feels ‘harassed’ (the poor boy) the solution is simple isn’t it. Don’t respond to my posts. And let him carry his own water. He’s a grown man, isn’t he?

I thought the topic was transfers. It seems to me we haven’t done a whole hell of a lot even though we seem to all agree that more, better players need to be added. So it seems apropos that a discussion of squad size and the dead wood isn’t unreasonable.
    Having all this dead wood on the team, and even wenger acknowledges that the squad needs trimming, is proving an anchor to acquiring the players. No? We have money tied up in players that haven’t got snowballs chance in hell of playing and yet we dither over price on a player the manager thinks would make us better. Why shouldn’t we talk about who needs to go or why they haven’t been sold on in order to fund the buy?
    People can’t say we can’t compete with the oligarchs and yet we have over $20mm in spending each year that does nothing to make the team better.

Hi Wally, as someone relatively new to AA, I assume you are not acquainted with the history and dynamics of the site.

I won’t bore you with any of that except to say the that the ethos of the site is clearly laid out in the tabs at the top of the page.

Most relevant from ‘About AA’ ….

“All opinions and viewpoints can be freely expressed, all we ask is that no-one descends into insults and name-calling. We welcome comments from supporters of other clubs as long as they obey our rules and make it clear which team they support.

Wit is preferable to sarcasm. When a discussion becomes an argument, it is time to agree to differ.

Repeating the same point over and over again is just tedious. It kills debate and drives good bloggers away …… agree to differ and move on.”

…. If someone new to the site hasn’t read or understood the above, one of us may give the blogger in question a gentle nudge.

There’s hardly a topic we haven’t covered over the years and as a result we find certain overused phrases trite and lazy … and so have put them in ‘Room 101’ (again at the top of the page) in the hope that bloggers will be more inventive in their phrasing. ‘Dead wood’ is number 3 on the list because it is disrespectful to players who have worn the shirt and in many cases given good service to the club.

I’ve always like Jack and I hope he can work his way back into the team but our mid-field is heavily stocked.

GN5
    Santi is unfit still.
    Rambo and Xhaka seem the number one combo in the centre for 3-4-3.
    Coquelin is next in line? Or is it Elneny?
    Ox seems more suited to wingback, maybe.
    Ozil, the Jeff and Iwobi all play further forward as part of the front three.

Surely Jack will fit in those centre two at some point this season?

Where does Lemar play?
    Is he middle two or part of front three?

83. Zee says:

Chas,

Good question. I think Lemar plays Monaco. 😀

84. Mrs Perez says:

See my boy make dis goal with crooshal intercept, then get ignored by teammates………

85. Zee says:

I really hope ‘Our Jack’ is given a chance to work his way back into the team, too.

The money we would get for him is chicken feed in football parlance – and give him another season and it could make all the difference to our chances,

Over the years he has shown us tantalizing glimpses of his capabilities and it would be great if he could get back in the squad and finally shown off his great talent. Probably just a dream.

It just goes to show Billy Wright had some great players during his 4 years in charge but was unable to achieve anything, zero trophies, 50% of points won, 38% of games won, 307 goals for and 308 against.

Wright was the third consecutive manager to win nothing – those were the days when supporters had legitimate reasons to be upset.

87. Zee says:

Hi GN5,

Agree with your first para above — and your facts re Billy Wright and his teams are fascinating — guess it does not need me to say ‘I did not know that’ — but then I never saw any of them play either. 😀

88. Zee says:

After saying it would be good for Jack to get a chance to re-establish himself at Arsenal, Sky Sports are saying Arsenal are in talks to sell him to a Turkish club. 😦

89. Zee says:

I also noticed that both Arsenal and the Spuds are after Barkley, with Arsenal more likely.

Sounds like bullsh*t to me – and I am not sure I rate him all that highly anyway.

There you go Zee – we are just making Turkeys of ourselves.

91. wally says:

Rasp,
    Thx for the comments. Point taken, i’ll up my euphemism game on the deadwood.
    And on your second point, duly noted. I can understand how tendentious it would to read me writing the same thing over and over. Not at all unlike how i feel at having to correct the repeated mischaracterizations of what i’ve said.
    And your a smart guy. I’m sure you’ll figure out the middle ground on that one too.

92. Jnyc says:

Lively debates here. Agree with 2 points,
    Zeee, that i dont buy the Barkley to Arsenal rumors, and I’ve never been impressed by him. He’s doesnt have half the talent of jack. The whole wilshere situation is very sad to me.Since he wont get us any real money, I’d hold on a little longer, very hopefully.

Rasp, i have been complaining since last season that we need someone in midfield that can do what santi was doing for us, basically everything, and Ozil was humming with him too … so i like sound of Seri, from descriptions of his game, even similar stature to Cazorla. Unfortunate that we cant count on Santis health any longer.

Arsenal fans eagerly await the selling and signing of players

New away kit.
    Theo looks up for the new season!

Third kit.

The away kit will look superb when we play City away

Camouflage

This seems to be a never ending transfer window, it doesn’t close until August 31st, personally I would prefer it to close before the season starts.

Back in the day teams could trade players whenever they wished, which was totally unfair to the poorer teams, so I prefer having a transfer window but would like it only to be during the off season.

101. zee says:

I agree GN5.

It should start after end of the season, and finish on the 31st July.

All the new players would have the chance to get used to their new teammates, do their training and take part in the preseason games.

The rest is hoop-la. 🙂

Hi Zee, I’m back after a shopping excursion with my daughter.

Alexis Sanchez back at Arsenal on Sunday, Arsene Wenger confirms
    By Stephen Turner

Last Updated: 27/07/17 4:10pm

Alexis Sanchez will start pre-season training with Arsenal on Sunday.

Arsene Wenger has confirmed the weekend return of Sanchez and Shkodran Mustafi, four weeks after both featured in the Confederations Cup final between Chile and Germany.

Wenger continues to insist last season’s top scorer will not be sold to Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City or elsewhere despite his unwillingness to sign a contract beyond next summer.

And Sanchez will have 12 days to get in shape for Arsenal’s Premier League opener against Leicester on August 11, live on Sky Sports Premier League.

“Alexis and Mustafi, their first training session will be on Sunday, the day we play against Sevilla in the Emirates Cup,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “They are practising on the day.

“First of all you make a really good check up of where they are, how much they have worked during their break.

“After, once you know where you stand, they need an adjusted programme and to see how quickly you can fit them in again.

“Of course it depends as well on what is the need in the squad, what is their quality. All of these things together make your decision.

“Do you put them on the bench when they are not ready [to start]? It is easier to put a striker on the bench than a defender, sometimes. Because in a short period they can make an impact. We’ll see.”

105. zee says:

Chas, are you there? If you are, I can refresh this Post with another – just let me know. 🙂

I hope your shopping expedition was successful, GN5, I am sure it was! 🙂

Yes it was Zee. My daughter become disabled at 41 years of age so I accompany her every time she needs to go shopping. She has an awful illness known as EDS, simply put every one of our joints has connective tissue and in EDS sufferers it loosens and they become overly flexible. She has to wear multiple braces and is committed to a wheelchair when she leave home on her own..

There is no known cure and 99% of the medical profession have no knowledge of it and treat patients as though they are liars and show them the door. My daughter has become an “expert” by necessity and has found a local MD who is doing her own research in order to treat my daughter. However she retains a very positive spirit but understandably asks “why me”

107. Zee says:

That is a great pity, GN5, but she – and you – show the right attitude to such a difficult disease.

I have occasionally said, when I feel a bit sorry for myself, that I see other patients with leukaemia or having irradiated blood treatment, on my 2 month visits to hospital, who are suffering far more than I do — and now having learned about your poor daughter, it makes me determined not to be self centred about my own situation.

Please give your daughter my sympathies and thank her for helping me! 😀

Zee thank you so much. Don’t feel too bad – I also felt that own situation was bad but when she was given this diagnosis I realized just how minor my own issues are.

Sadly it appears the the defective gene has been passed down to her from my side of the family.

Posts are always welcome, Zee. Thanks.

I’m off at 8am tomorrow morning for the weekend, so if I’m going to publish it, it’ll have to be ready sharpish.

Then again, I’m sure someone else will publish if it’s later. 🙂

111. zee says:

OK, Chasser, 🙂

I did write something anyway as I was bored with the current one! 🙂

Give it a couple of mins and I post it onto the previous Post.

Grassy arse

It’s all ready to rip, Zee.
    I’ll publish sometime before I leave in the morning.
    Moooochas.

NEW POST

118. Zee says:

Arsenal: Tight Fisted Scrooges or Profligate Wastrels?

The Emirates Cup was a strange mixture of youthful carefree enjoyment in a deeply satisfying and fun filled first game against Benfica, and an inhibited and surprisingly chaotic lurch into the tippy tappy football of the older more experienced players who did not appear to gell in the second game.

It would be pointless to read too much into the games with many different variables conflating to make it impossible to predict what will be the strongest team that AW will put out for the start of the season.

We meet the Chavs, again, next weekend in the pre-season FA Community Shield, with donations going to the Grenfell Tower support fund, a worthy cause.

The problem is that Chelsea gave a very youthful Arsenal team a bit of a pasting 3 : 0 in an earlier pre-season, so-called friendly, and now they will look to go into the new season on a high by repeating the dose at the weekend and in doing so have the opposite effect on our lads.

So what can we make of all that? Well to start with we had several players making appearances in the Ems Cup who may, or may not, be sold on or let go this summer. Confusingly we also had players who played who are looking to leave us, although the manager has resolutely maintained that every one of them, including the ‘flu stricken one, and his dog, will stay, come what may.

All I can say to that is …… hmmmmm?

The stance by Arsene is at least a gamble, because keeping players who are disillusioned with the club, or who are mendaciously wanting to stick their snouts deeper into the money trough demanding increases to their already sky high salaries is risky because angry employees, and they are only employees, cannot be relied upon when the going gets tough.

An interesting side note is that if we keep Sanchez (boo, hiss) and Özil (brilliant but spasmodic) and the Ox (excellent – in patches) then at a market guesstimate, of £60m + £60m + £3om the club stands to ‘lose’ £150m.

Does that ‘don’t care’ attitude sound like the club, or Wenger? Experience tells me no way, José.

Then there were those playing like Chambers and El Neney and Ospina and Giroud and Le Coq who were heavily rumoured to be playing their last games for the Gunners – although we all know how much bollix is spouted through bloody rumours.
    What was the point of playing them – if the rumours were accurate?

To cap that, we had oodles of Tyros, young wannabees playing at the tender ages of 17 to 20, many of whom like Reiss Nelson and Joe Willock and Nketiah and Maitland-Niles were making a good fist of their chances to impress the manager – but frankly for all their skill, energy and enthusiasm have not got Chas’ cats’ chances in hell of playing in anything but cup games next season.

Confused? Me too.

Then there is the other side of the club, or Arsene, (indistinguishable?) we spent what seemed to be weeks negotiating the purchase of La Caz, and that tactic revolved around bidding the lowest figure possible, having it rejected and increasing the bid incrementally.
    Look it is a seller’s market – ask them what they want – evaluate it and pay it or leave it.
    But no – this is the parsimonious side of deal making and it is ineffectual.

Lesson learned? Nope. We are allegedly trying to buy Lemar a very highly rated young midfielder – and blow me down — the same ‘negotiating’ tactic is being used with the lowest, and most implausible bid offered to start with, which predictably gets refused and is currently creeping up in incremental bands.

These club owners are mostly already billionaires – they are not billionaires because they are stupid. They will say what they want – give it to them or gracefully walk away, and stop getting our hopes up.

There we have it – two sides of the same coin – prepared to blow £150m on a year’s worth of playing time from three reluctant if not recalcitrant ‘stars’ who are not for bending, but then farting around over £5m or £10m for Mr Lemar, a player many of us believe is essential for our chances next season – and that defies logic.

So, what is it? Parsimonious nitwits, or profligate spenders throwing good money after bad?

If the various rumours and leaks are mostly correct in these cases, I would sell SOO for £150m (you work it out) – sell Chambers, Giro etc for £50m (if that is what the powers that be have decided) and reinvest that dead £200m into completing the deal for Lemar and then buying at least two others to stiffen the spine (as we pundits call it 🙂 ) at CB and CF and hey presto we are in good shape – if not I will blame Terry. 😀