Season Assessment: Full Backs

If you have been reading AA over the past few years you will know that BR knows sweet FA about tactics. This makes it difficult to judge the effectiveness of our full backs whose jobs change depending upon the formation. It was much easier to critique a performance in the days of Bob Mcnab and Pat Rice; things changed with the excellence and athleticism of Ashley Cole.

So, full backs or wing backs? How did they perform last season?

The first thing to say is that we improved once Mr Wenger tried the Back 3, the gaping holes in the defence disappeared but can the FB’s be blamed? You decide?

Unknown.jpeg

Monreal: Dreadful start to the season. Unable to stop attacks down his flank which led to crosses and shots flying towards Petr. By season’s end he was back to being one of the best FB’s in the league but was he now a CB, a FB or a WB? Nacho has made over 150 appearances for Arsenal and as much as I like him I still hope AFC will sign a better defender. That said, one of my highlights of the season was the triple block of Costa’s shot in the FACF by Nacho, Holding and BFG. Real commitment.

Monreal always gives 100%, is passionate, versatile, combative and this season scored a vital goal at Wembley. He signed a long-term contract in 2016, so I guess it will be Gibbs who is leaving.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Gibbs: I hate to be critical of a proper Arsenal man but Gibbs hasn’t achieved his potential. A sparkling early career leading to England caps had me thinking he was the successor to Ashley. He isn’t. Good player for sure but we need better (and hopefully we have already signed him).

Keiron started only 5 games last term, and 3 of those were at left wing back – a position he did well in and we certainly improved defensively with both Nacho and Keiron working in tandem.

For his sake, he needs regular first team football and I expect Keiron to be sold in the summer.

unknown-12.jpeg

Bellerin: Fantastic player when fully fit and in form. Amongst the very best in his position as is indicated by the media hyping a move to Barca. Hector had his worst season in the shirt thanks to a series of injuries. IMO he returned too early to the first team which affected his performances and it was only at season’s end when we saw the real Bellerin – a player with tactical awareness, a superb tackler and the fastest player in the squad.

Some awful haircuts this season as Hector attempted to be become a fashion icon. What is wrong with a short B & S?

I expect him to leave in a couple of season’s but by then he will have won the CL and PL with Arsenal.

Holding/Ox/Gabriel:  In here as an addendum because they all filled Bellerin’s position during the season. Not did the job as well as Hector but nonetheless were not embarrassed . The Ox at RWB worked better than expected.

Will we see the Back 3 experiment continue next season? And if so, where does Hector fit into the formation? Perhaps this is why there is so much media speculation, possibly activated by Bellerin’s agent.

All in all, our FB’s did not give enough defensive support to their CB’s and this resulted in too many goals conceded from wing positions. Could do better.

written by Big Raddy

148 Responses to Season Assessment: Full Backs

More nice work, Erik. Thank you

I reckon our wing backs are now our strongest position given the acquisition of Kolasinac and assuming the three at the back system.

Ox and Bell right with Sead and Mon. left. Strong, all good and I’m very excited by Sead’s youtube video 🙂

Morning Raddy, my technical knowledge is a non starter so we need the likes of RC78, GIE and GB to lead that side of the discussion.

All I know for sure is that watching our games over the past few seasons I have been left open mouthed at the amount of space, that our full backs – come wingers, left unoccupied when they took off on their jaunts down field. We were left completely exposed and nearly every team found a way to take advantage of the space to punish us.

The back three has worked admirably and if AW had started it one or two games earlier we would have been in the 2017/18 CL groups.

Micky,

Man C Nov 2 and Spurs Nov 4 was my mea culpa – Spurs is Nov 18.

Cheers Raddy for instalment 2. Interesting that you did the FB’s separate from the CD’s. I probably need to consider them all together to get a good analysis.

Our defence has been poor this season until until the long overdue formation change. After this we have been an entirely different animal so I would probably make any assessment going forwards based on the new formation and also the new acquisition who looks the ideal wing back and a real steal to me.

Before this change our FB’s played like wing backs or even wingers anyway in a supposed back 4, so as you say offered poor defensive back-up. As much as any individual assessment this poor form was a collective thing that afflicted FB’s and CB’s alike.

AW likes the FB’s to assist the attack a lot, but there has always seemed to be a lack of discipline with it at Arsenal recently, so the right balance is never achieved, and we often looked chaotic in a back 4 system especially when we lost possession in attack.

I have to say that AW has to take huge responsibility for this side not being tactically drilled or disciplined enough to make it work in a back 4. Interestingly enough though the back 3 line up almost eradicates the issues on its own.

Kolasinac would go straight in at 1st choice LWB for me in our new 3-4-2-1 system. Monreal should now be primarily considered a left sided back 3 option but who can cover the LWB role. Monreal then becomes 1 of 7 back 3 options with Kos, Holding, Mustafi, Gabriel, Per, and Chambers. As you say Gibbs probably needs to go for his sake and to not clog up a largely unused squad space.

On the RWB we have Bellerin. It is not a good summer to let him go even if he deep down wants Barca. We have to do what is right for the club and having to replace him this summer on top of our more pressing issues just causes us more headaches and further dents our image as a top club. Next summer it can be reassessed and see how good our options beyond him are then.

AOC obviously has proven to be an equally good option as well as Bellerin, although I still wonder if he has a different role that may be better for him and us. It could depend on what happens with the likes of Sanchez and Ozil.

Chambers could be another option (albeit more defensive). I would also like to promote from within the youth areas to see if we have another budding RWB that could eventually allow us to let Bellerin go. The most obvious for me would be Maitland Niles and I would like to see him given a few opportunities in the role.

I think we look sorted in the position now.

GB. Great comment that should have been the post!

You mean Maitland-Niles (Conservative, World Cup Winner, VC, DSO and bar)

Now you have me confused Micky. Doesn’t take much 🙂

The top strikers are at such a premium now that I think we will need to blow most of it on that player and hopefully convince Sanchez to sign on the dotted line. I don’t see much else extra required other than that position anyway.

Exactly GB. Every penny on one more player. 100% the way to go.

Defenders and goalkeepers…..piffle 🙄

For old times sake

Excellent post, BR.

I love Nacho’s spirit, Gibbo’s pedigree and Hector’s youthful zest.
    Add in Sead’s beer gut and I think we’re sorted. 🙂

Taking the piss out of Chelsea…..

One for the ladies – sexy Bill gates

Always good to start the day with a bit of MM and the Gates picture is just dreamy

Mornin’ both

Chas, which library?

Erik

I got one. Is that good, although I must fess up to it being a guess

18. chas mobile says:

Iowa state law library apparently

I’ve just looked up that library, OMG

Morning all. I’ve worked out a couple of things this morning. Firstly it seems the people of Iowa are very learned and have terrific architects among them. Secondly I know bugger all about Mustaffi….except the Everton one….what was the connection on the last question…got bored getting them wrong by that time.

21. Zee says:

Good Morning Pimples,

I liked the Post, BR, although you were a bit harsh on the FA who rule the beautiful game —
    “You will be aware that the FA know sweet BR about tactics.”

I think they know a lot more than that! 😀

[Has Chas gone all mafioso lately? The Dogs head in a basket was much worse than the horse’s head in the bed’] And he used to be so nice before Corbyn got him. 😀

Eddie

On the back of the Chas pic, I googled libraries trying to find out which one it was. Found a site called 62 most beautiful, but couldn’t identify his

Don’t think your pic is the same one either. The columns and floors are so different

Only got to listen to first 10 mins of Desert Island this morning.

Rick Wakeman it was. Talk about hard core rock ‘n roller. Three heart attacks by 26 yrs. Cool eh 🙂

Here it is
    Took a while to download but well worth the wait

25. Zee says:

The picture of a library you are showing at 7:57, Eddie, looks more like the Chinese Art Museum designed by MAD Architects based in Beijing.

They are also going to build George Lucas’ Museum of Narrative Art in LA.

Some lovely institutions there Micky. I have to say I am massively more in favour of the old and ancient look than the more wide open modern sanitised look. A bit like churches you want to feel you are in an ancient place of learning with little cubby holes and nooks and crannies where you could find ancient long lost knowledge as well as the new.

Morning Zee. I am betting you have been to all of them 🙂

28. RC78 says:

Full-back assessment:
    – Bellerin – promising start, disgusting mid-season and promising end -> can and must be better consistantly. B
    – Monreal – not thrills, often exposed. Did better at a LCB or a LWB but not a first choice in my books. B-
    – Gibbs – did ok but nothing exciting. C
    – AOC – did well as a WB given that it was a new role. Fantastic game vs Chelsea. B+

Overall:
    – Our FB/WB did not provide enough defensive securities in a 4 defensive unit and were better in a 5 defensive unit. Their offensive input has been limited at best.
    – We must invest in another quality FB to challenge Bellerin.
    – Monreal shall only be used as a LCB
    – Gibbs can be sold
    – What to do with Jenkinson?

29. Zee says:

Eddie,

Or you could try Googling the Sheraton Huzhou, Hot Spring Resort, by the MAD Architects. 🙂

— The chinese-based sheraton hotel chain is planning an aggressive expansion in 2013, opening 30 new branches in the asia-pacific area and four in africa and the middle east; 15 alone will open in china within the year.

The ‘sheraton huzhou hot spring resort‘ is perhaps the most striking of this endeavor, designed by beijing-based architect ma yansong of MAD architects.

It features an unforgettable form of layered floors creating a ring emerging from the south bank of taihu lake. standing at just over 100 meters high and 116 meters wide, the hotel covers an area of 75 acres and provides 321 rooms and villas, including 40 suites, 37 villas, presidential suites, and a total floor area of 95,000 square meters, coming to an investment of about 1.5 billion dollars. the design is the perfect embodiment of water, giving every room a view of the lake, natural light, and ventilation no matter where it is located.

An LED light system on the exterior skin of the construct brings the metal structure to life at night, displaying colorfully animated textures and patterns, reflected on the water’s surface.

Beautiful. 🙂

RC

“Bellerin – promising start, disgusting mid-season ”

HA HA love it. His mid-season form made me want to vomit 🙂

31. Zee says:

Hi GB, darling,

I have not been to all of them — yet — but like everyone else I love these exquisite historic buildings, but also their modern equivalents — wonderful works of art – and that is what they are – should be seen by all, as they are testament to the good side of mankind! 😀

“Oh Zee you see I agree with thee Zee, but for me I prefer the oldie liberary, full of ancient bibliogoraphy in bookshelves carved of a great Walnut tree, complete with its ancient upholsterary, oh Zee you see the oldie liberary, tis the only one for little old me.”

Chaucer, circa 1370 A.D, in some old library somewhere.

Guess whose bored at work 🙂

34. Zee says:

Very good, oh, GoonerB bee.

Chambers had a solid game for the U-21’s. We are well stocked with CB’s at all ages

Lots of sport for the weekend but the weather is good.

Dilemma.

Don’t you mean

Lots of sport for the weekend AND the weather is good

Morning to you too

Erik
    Come surfing. I have marinated two kilos of chicken to cook on the beach afterwards

39. VP of Oz says:

Arsenal are coming to Oz, its time to get to know a bit more about our great outback

41. Thanks Raddy

Yes, full backs. We are well stocked and all the boys had a good season.

Full backs, and more specifically right full backs have a checkered history. Pros that at school would score 20 a game against kids with body types suited to chess, and Sunday league were the number 2 shirt is dominated by the managers asthmatic son or the delusional mate he met at Woodstock.

Unfortunately for me, I was neither old enough to have an argument with Jimi Hendrix on who’s turn it was to roll a spliff, or talented enough to be another John Devine.

For this reason, I was the Sunday League reserve full back. My competitor was the managers nephew, who I also suspected used the cover of been an anti Vietnam war Hippy to hide a propensity for violence.

F*uck team spirit, I wanted to play. Through pure Jealousy I would bait the bastard with talk that soon a paternity test would prove that I was the managers son and that Janis Joplin, after not meeting me at Woodstock 69, fancied me.

The Joplin remark pushed him over the edge, I think he preferred The Who?, so he assaulted me. Naturally he was getting the better of me, so I had no choice but to play my trump card by warning him that I was not afraid to indulge a deliberate error on his Tax Return causing serious financial consequences.

This seemed to placate him, but to this day right full backs and friends with family members who attended Woodstock unnerve me.

” and that Janis Joplin, after not meeting me at Woodstock 69, fancied me.”

We are not worthy

Terry – you’re at it again.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Sagna and Clichy released by MC. I would re-sign Bacary as back up for Hector and a man who is a model professional.

Alex Manninger has left Liverpool – not that I knew he was at L’pool! – it seems decades ago that he was with us. Alex is almost 41.

Erik

I may have got a sun burnt head as well as concussion from yesterday, but sign a defender when we have maximum of two slots left….are you mad and good morning

Transplant

Can you not mention The Who and Woodstock in the same piece again, no matter how brilliant the work

Bad images. Pete Townsend shat him himself in white trousers during that show.

Micky. Foolish of me. If we are to sign an ex-Manchester player, it should be Ronaldo

Better, much better

25 degrees and windless here, Erik. It’s like bloomin’ paradise

ooops, got the links all the same didn’t I. Oh well

oh micky 🙂

this heat is going to be the end of me. Is the Qatar world cup still on?

Eddie

You do need to get hold of world news beyond the Cuffley Gazette

Qatar is about to be invaded or blown up, so to answer your question, unlikely. Happily.

there is much happening in Cuffley, very true. Camel racing, car boot sale, footy tournaments (under 11), tennis club, bowling club, drama society, strange churches, you name it and Cuffley has it.

Qatar blown up or invaded?? by whom?

No Eddie, you won’t catch me out with a sneaky question tagged on to a comment about camel racing in Cuffley

🙂 🙂 I know, camel racing, I suppose I will have to go one day

I googled Qatar news, nothing indicating Armageddon

Blimey Eddie, just looked it up, 32 degrees in London. Yuk. Get under a tree for the day and knock 5 degrees off

Chas

I’ve noticed you’ve pretty much stopped deploying words. Is there anything we need to know? 🙂

ha ha, funny that Dude comment, given my house has about six teenagers all asleep in it

Reading Terry’s comments makes me realise that words aren’t my forte. 🙂

Big, wonderful day yesterday celebrating the life of someone no longer with us.
    The whole world seems a nicer place when the sun comes out

I’m guessing politics has got to you, although your comment about the Transplant words is very true, however, onwards we must go

And on those notes, it’s onwards and outwards I go

Have lovely days one and all

It was a lovely day. Good people, great weather, fine beers. Happy Days

6:45 is really terrific.

Morning all

Been writing work emails as I do first thing in the morning. Increasingly I feel the need to stick in an emoji

Do we reckon they’ll become part of standard written English in the future. Language always changes after all

Let’s hope not – it is a return to pictograms and runes. I guess it saves having to learn to spell.

Ah Ha – Arsenal news……………

Arsenal appoint ex-Liverpool performance coach Darren Burgess
    Alexis Nunes and Steve Nicol examine the latest transfer rumours including Bayern Munich’s interest in Alexis Sanchez.

Former Liverpool high performance manager Darren Burgess will join Arsenal in July, Australian Rules Football (AFL) club Port Adelaide have announced.

Reports last week claimed that Burgess, who worked at Liverpool between 2010 and 2013 under Kenny Dalglish, Roy Hodgson and Brendan Rodgers, was set to move to Arsenal to take charge of their medical, fitness, psychology and performance analysis.

Port Adelaide confirmed the news on Monday, stating that Burgess, whose appointment has been approved by Arsene Wenger, will see out the remainder of the 2017 AFL season with them.

“Port Adelaide has agreed to release head of high performance Darren Burgess to English Premier League club Arsenal,” a club statement read.

“The terms agreed between Port and Arsenal will see Burgess continue to fulfil his duties to Port Adelaide for the remainder of the 2017 AFL season and the start of the 2018 preseason.

“Burgess, who was handpicked by Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger, will commence his new role in July.”

The deal with see Burgess return to Port Adelaide a handful of times over the coming months as he helps to hand over his duties to a successor.

Burgess, who worked for the Australia men’s football team during the 2010 World Cup, thanked Port Adelaide for his time at the club but said he is looking forward to the new challenge at Arsenal.

“Reaching this decision has been one of the toughest decisions in my professional career. My family loves the lifestyle of Adelaide and more importantly we love everything about the Port Adelaide Football Club,” he said.

“However, the opportunity to return to the English Premier League and work at one of the world’s most successful sporting organisations in Arsenal is an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse.

“I look forward to continue having a relationship with Port Adelaide from afar and thank the entire club for their support and many great memories over two stints.”

The agreement will also see Port Adelaide and Arsenal work together to grow sports science and professional development opportunities between the two clubs.

“Arsenal have indicated their desire to be part of a new collaborative partnership with Port Adelaide in a range of areas including sports science, professional development and international growth,” Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said. “That brings some amazing opportunities with it and we look forward to putting that arrangement in place as soon as we can.”

GN5
    Can Burgess play striker at the very highest level?

Erik
    I meant imojis as punctuation not words. My bad, but if you want a blazing row about it, let’s go, as it’d fill up some space 🙂

(see how effective that smiley face was)

Afternoon all. Have to say I have a bad feeling about this summers TW and how we will look going into pre-season and the new season. My gut says we will lose a couple of key players and further struggle to attract the right ones in…..hope to be proven wrong though 🙂

GoonerB
    Have you ever had a good feeling about any past transfer window?

Come to that, ever had any good feelings about anything Arsenal-related anything much at all.

Haha, at least you’re hoping to be wrong as usual. 😆

BBC reporting that Chambers “has been terrific” for England U-21’s. Will he be content to sit on the bench for AFC?

Erik

Maybe Chambers will think…mmm..a few could performances in the Europa, and I could be a red card and one injury to others away from appearing in next season’s FA Cup Final which we will be in. Obviously smiley face spelt proper

79. chas mobile says:

chas has gone bananas

I hate this heat, it is awful, nothing nice about it

Any substantial rumours yet?

an exhibitionist

Well we have hired a fitness coach Eddie…but that is not a rumour.

Other rumours involve losing Sanchez, losing the Ox with City Chelsea and Liverpool all keen, losing Giroud, Bellerin wanting to go to Barca, and all our main striker targets looking unlikely to come. Ozil hasn’t signed a new contract either and we also have Santi, Per, Jack, Cech and Szczesny joining him with 1 year left on their contracts.

I reckon we might be able to get someone like Llorente from Swansea and play him and Theo next season. It doesn’t matter that one is 32 and the other has a questionable fitness record because the new fitness coach is apparently a bit of a genius. We probably should have kept Sanogo.

hope that answers your 6.13pm yesterday Chas 🙂

I was actually really excited a few seasons back Chas. I thought we were on the brink of an exciting new project that was bringing in top players post austerity years to develop a team capable of challenging for the EPL and further on in the ECL.

Personally I think the project had a massive blip the summer we got Cech but bought no outfield players with the famous line of nothing out there available that is better than we already have. Apparently we were the only team in all the professional leagues not to do so.

When we flattered to deceive again next season I think the image of the club changed from one being on the up and progressing to one that was happy to stand still and had little ambition to progress. I think that change in the clubs image (out there in footbally world, particularly where top players are concerned) is the biggest hindrance we have now, more so than 1 season away from the ECL.

I have to admit Chas that my excitement has been rather tempered in the last couple of seasons…sorry for that….but I do think there is good reason to have some concern. The club may pull it out of the bag this summer, I really hope so. I think they will have to go to extraordinary (un-Arsenal) levels to do it though.

How do we persuade the likes of Sanchez that we are actually serious about winning the league, and players like Mbappe, Aubemayeng e.t.c that this is a place where they have a chance of that?

90. Ant says:

Mourinho being done for €3.3M tax fraud

As good news goes, it works for me

Hello, just arrived.

Nice work this am Chas.

A DEA Agent stopped at a ranch in Texas and talked to an old rancher. He told the rancher, “I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs.” The rancher said, “okay, but don’t go into that field over there…”, as he pointed out the location. The DEA Agent verbally exploded and said, “look mister, I have the authority of the federal government with me!” Reaching into his rear back pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. “See this badge?! This badge means I can go wherever I want… On any land! No questions asked, no answers given! Do you understand old man?!”
    The rancher kindly nodded, apologized, and went about his chores. Moments later the rancher heard loud screams, he looked up and saw the DEA agent running for his life, being chased by the ranchers big Santa Gertrudis Bull…… With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it was likely that he’d sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The old rancher threw down his tools, ran as fast as he could to the fence, and yelled at the top of his lungs……
    “YOUR BADGE! SHOW HIM YOUR BADGE!”

One evening a husband, thinking he was being funny, said to his wife, “Perhaps we should start washing your clothes in Slim Fast. Maybe it would take a few inches off of your backside!”
    His wife was not amused, and decided that she simply couldn’t let such a comment go unrewarded.
    The next morning the husband took a pair of underwear out of his drawer. “What the Hell is this?” He said to himself as a little “dust” cloud appeared when he shook them out.
    “April,” he shouted into the bathroom, “why did you put talcum powder in my underwear?”
    She replied with a snicker, “It’s not talcum powder It’s ‘Miracle Grow!’”

In

In as well.

Not a lot of AFC news at the moment and I am very busy with “stuff”, hence no time to write a season’s assessment about the CB’s but it is in the pipeline

ffs 30 degrees again
    I had to have a fan going all night to keep the pug cool. The noise of the bloody thing kept me awake, I am in a foul mood, looking for a victim

Great work chas. Especially enjoyed the OG vid.

Eddie. 18C here, sunny, lovely weather though I would prefer it a little warmer 😀

did you know that Steve McQueen was a son of a prostitute, prostituted himself for many years, hated women yet had affairs with many, almost as many as with men. He slept with james Dean, Rock Hudson and Paul Newman, whom he hated, any many many others

18 degrees is perfect, not too cold, not too warm, just right.
    sadly things in UK are going from bad to worse, all because of the Brexit referendum

Mornin’

Post comin’

POST SENT

What exactly has got worse Eddie?

You’ll have your Labour government soon enough My Dear

micky – the weather, EU is turning the heat up

how will I have labour government that I don’t want?

ha ha

I pop six minutes down the road and lie in the shallows of the river under trees by the river bank. Dotty Dog comes.

You must have a river near you.

Oh, because you said you wished you had voted and that you would have voted Labour smiley face

no, no river. Pug knows all the water patches, but they all have dried up

sometimes I talk bollix
    why would my vote change anything and what would I exactly want to vote for?? Ignore me

No river? Yikes. You sure.

I get living in London or a city, but otherwise, not being near water whether lake, sea or river is a no no

Move. You love Snowdonia

And, I agree, your vote wouldn’t change anything

less than 3 miles away there is a lovely swimming pool I dip into once every 3 years 🙂 does that count as water?

I love sea, there is nothing more beautiful and powerful than a sea or even better an Ocean. I think I would be very happy at a desert island somewhere in Scottland, with WiFi of course

Pools are shit. No trees, no dogs allowed in, chemicals and worst of all, people

How do I put up a picture from twitter, and I’ll show you me yesterday lunch break

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2017-06-21\IMG_2394.JPG

c:/users/..blah b;lah blah looks good

micky darling c:/ stands for computer, your computer, nobody else can see what is on it
    Go to twatter first, choose add photo (+ sign I think), browse through your c:/ drive, choose photo, open and it is in twatter
    Right click there and paste to wordpress
    Failing all these mail me or come to cuffley

plenty of trees around this pool. And nice people I am related to. But then other people started to arrive and I’ve done a runner 🙂

haaaaa ha ha my feet smiley face

I think all blog techies are at work, so here’s me postage to get us going

Mbappe to Arsenal for….how much?

Mmmm, sounds like the answer is about 100M.
    Just been reading an article about Roberto Sanches. Remember him. Portuguese star of the Euros.
    Last May, at the age of 18, he moved from being the star man at Benfica to Bayern for a fee that will eventually hit €80M, and has started two games since December. To top that, he’s been dropped from the full International team, and now plays for the Portuguese U-21’s.
    “The problem is that you basically have to be the finished article at a club like that. He was learning so much playing at Benfica every week, it was the perfect environment for him to develop, but he was a still a rough diamond with flaws in his game. Portugal is well known for producing precocious young talents who get sold before they are the finished article. That’s what happened with him”, said someone.
    Now, Arsenal. Whatever the figure is, we have a transfer budget the Club are unhappy to spend this summer, and I doubt if it’s a whole lot more than £100M.
    My hope is that all key players remain, meaning that whoever we buy, and whenever that is, we’ll still hit the road running with a settled side in our first encounter against…..and Leicester.
    So, back to Mbappe. The “someone” that said the above, felt that at Bayern, a player needed to be the finished article. Arsenal are not quite at the Bayern level (cough!), so does that make Arsenal the ideal destination?
    Would you risk the whole of our budget on him?
    I would, but then I famously have a rather relaxed attitude towards being sensible, whilst at the same time having a somewhat gung-ho take on risk. Above all, I like excitement and think he’d bring skip loads of the stuff.
    If, on the other hand, I was a remotely sensible sort and a little more mature, I’d probably say I’d prefer a player like Aubameyang. In other words, someone with a little more history, and having proved themselves in a tougher league.
    What say you. All for one?

ps I know the bookies would probably have Lazazette at considerably better odds than Mbapp, but the principle of the post applies. All on one mega deal?

Morning all.

Is that a post Micky? Shall I comment here or will it be set up as a new post?

Comment away GB. Waste no time

Plus, you’re about the only person who will have an opinion on the matter

Whadya reckon

oh only a few opinions Micky 🙂 Will try and compile comment while working as well.

Ok Micky, so my personal belief is that the new formation has helped us enormously. The 3-4-2-1 system with double number 10’s sitting behind a striker seems to play to all our key players (and even back up players) strengths, so much so that I feel if the season was starting now with the squad we have that we would be title contenders, or at least much closer to it.

I actually think that most of the team is largely sorted now and if the current squad remains intact we may only need that 1 player, which has to be a striker that can deliver world class performances and stats in the EPL. We have needed it since RVP left. Our other strikers are all very decent back up players so we only need the 1 IMO.

There are potential issues with all of the strikers we may be looking at. I have a feeling we may get Lacazette. I would not sniff at that but out of all of them he is the one I have the greatest doubts about. He doesn’t seem to have the greatest athleticism in terms of size strength and pace (something RC, who will have watched him more) pointed out. However I do think Lacazette is attainable and we can only hope he can translate his league 1 stats to the EPL if he comes.

Mbappe and Aubemayeng conversely both look great athletes as well as top players. Cavani also looks like he is a great athlete but he would be a shorter term solution at his age, and I doubt PSG will sell him (unless they got an Aubemayeng).

Obviously any player has to agree to come to us and the problems with both Aubemayeng and Cavani is that they are at an age where they need to be at a club that has an excellent chance of winning things. When presented with a choice they will likely plump for a side that has shown ambition in recent seasons rather than one who talks about it but doesn’t back that talk up (sorry to say).

It may be that the penny has dropped at Arsenal now that our image is slipping as a big club, and this will start to translate into an inability to retain and recruit the right players that make our squad good enough to compete at the top end of things. It may be that we are serious now about doing what it takes to get back to the top end of things. However I don’t think players like Cavani and Aubemayeng will take that chance with us at the moment if other options are available to them.

Mbappe, because of his age, may be different. With time on his side he may look at us as that step up, to continue his development, but in a slightly less pressurised environment than some other clubs like Madrid. He may think if we turn that corner in the next 2 seasons then he is at the right club full stop. If we don’t then he has plenty of time to move on and be a success elsewhere.

As such I would go all in for him if we can. Forget £100m. I think we AW will need a £150m budget this TW with likely 3/4 (not 2/3rds) of it going on that 1 player. Mouthwatering I know but this is where we are right now because for various reasons we are likely not as attractive to certain top players as we were 2-3 seasons back (shortly after getting Sanchez) so we are more limited to the top strikers in terms of which ones would happily come to us. Getting Mbappe may also convince both Sanchez and Ozil to stay.

There is a New Post