Big Decisions

This morning post is lifted from yesterdays comments ….

The point about contracts is an interesting one as there are quite a few players other than Özil and Sanchez who are in the same position as those 2 (contracts due to run out soon).

Szscesny
Cech
Jenkinson
Debuchy
Gibbs
Ox
Wilshere
Campbell

This is according to research by Arseblog so may not be 100%.

I think wether Wenger stays or goes there are some big decisions to be made at Arsenal. If he does go I think it would be interesting to see who’s contracts get renewed. I’m not sure if it’s a positive or a negative that he stays with regards to contract renewals. Whilst Özil has said he would prefer Wenger to stay, there may be some others who think otherwise. There is also the fact that Wenger has an attachment to these players and therefore he may renew contracts of players who a lot of us believe are no longer good enough to represent the club. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can see things that maybe the current manager will turn a blind eye to. Having someone new could result in quite a few of these players leaving the club.

Either way, it’s a massive window for Arsenal’s future.

written by FGG

76 Responses to Big Decisions

FGG Thank you.. As you say, this will be an important summer in the future of AFC. Not only in terms of contracts and AW’s commitment but also in terms of signings.

It appears that Sanchez and Ozil are hesitant, if they leave who do we sign? Do we need better defenders or just better organisation, in which case should we sign a more efficient defensive coach?

Thanks FGG. I am with you that there may be a split in the camp on who wants to stay or go dependent upon whether AW stays. Ozil and Bellerin have said they may leave if AW leaves. That’s kind of blackmail really and not befitting.

AW staying or leaving should not be down to players indicating they may go if he does. It should be about the bigger picture of how we are progressing or not, whether a fresh pair of eyes, as you say, and fresh ideas are needed.

It is obvious players like AW so my feeling on the sentiments of Ozil and Bellerin would be it is because they really like him and he treats them well. All very admirable but seems a bit too cosy and nice at the top level, almost a bit too much being in a comfort zone.

These players should be committed to the club and fans primarily. I would take the view that if that is their wish then so be it. We all love Hector but he is not irreplaceable, and we can just demand a huge fee for him if he decides to go.

Similarly AW leaving or going should not be because 1-2 players are not happy and will not stay if he does. In AW’s case I cannot think anyone would leave because they have fallen out with him. More likely it will be down to better money offered elsewhere or not feeling they can win big prizes under his stewardship. This latter point would strike more of a concern with me than those that only want to stay if he does for the reasons mentioned.

I do think that these players sometimes have a change of heart once a new manager arrives and they may see things differently, once they get to know them and see the vision and training.

The club must always be bigger than each player and the manager. However, I am uncomfortable with how many players, (and the quality of some of them), are reaching the end of their contract and am not so sure that this is not just a by-product of things not being run well behind the scenes.

We could be entering a sticky period of complete rebuilding or it could go the other way and we secure what we want to secure and add to it. Should be exciting either way.

Interesting discussion on Arseblog about whether the future of the Arsenal is manager based or football philosophy based.

Should Arsenal decide to allow a new manager to create the club’s football in his own manner e.g. Klopp or Mourinho, or will they be strong enough to continue with the AW philosophy of attacking, attractive passing football? I hope the latter.

thanks fgg. I didn’t realise so many contracts are up for renewal this summer, that is very exciting and I hope only 1 new contract is offered. The rest can go, good bye

chas posted a link yesterday to an article claiming that Wenger declined £30m pa contract in China and that Kroenke is desperate to keep Arsene for 2 more years at £10m pa. Telephone bloody numbers, but given how little Wenger has won in the last 14 years £10m pa is not justified or is it?

I am convinced that Wenger will go and take a couple of players with him, hopefully Feo 🙂 So we’d better brace ourselves for some stormy weather next season! It could be tough, but at least something to look forward to, this stale mate is tedious after so many years, we need some knee jerking actions soon

Eddie, I think your dogs are barking up the wrong tree.

I have it on good authority (inside information) that Arsene will be our manager for a least the next four years.
    (I looked in the mirror and my image agreed with me)

6. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t think Wengers wage is relevant at all. He’s been at the club 20 years, so with wage increases along the way he’s bound to have built up a massive annual salary compared to other managers who are new at their clubs. Also, regardless of what he’s won, he’s earned the club a crazy amount of cash over the years, so from a club point of view he deserves every penny he gets.

7. fatgingergooner says:

Loads of Allegri rumours today. Started well at Milan with a squad that included Zlatan, Pirlo, Nesta, Gattuso etc before it went downhill after the first season. Inherited a team at Juve which included Buffon, Chiellini, Bonnuci, Barzagli, Vidal, Pogba etc and has dominated a poor league with that.

I’m not massively convinced by him but would be interesting to see how he goes.

Raddy, it should be manager based and philosophy based. I want attacking football that wins things……I also want a Ferrari and to spend a long weekend on a deserted island with Little Mix and Will’s mum from the inbetweeners.

Who then FGG? I guess that is the big question.

The answer is very straight forward Micky – Arsene who will thumb his nose at all of the nay sayers and sign another contract.

Even those like me GN5 who feel that it is time for a change would like nothing better than to see Arsene win another EPL or the CL. If I felt there was a realistic chance of this happening with Arsene I would be all for it but I think he would have to change too many things for it to happen, things he has shown no appetite to change in the last few seasons.

The problem is there seems to be no tangible progress in recent seasons and there seems to be an unwillingness or inability to address the factors that are stopping us progressing. I think most fans (not just the idiot banner holding ones) want to see some progress and if there is a better chance of achieving that with change then I think many fans will plump for this.

Personally I think if he stays and we start to have a groundhog day season next year it will get ugly and very messy. I don’t want to witness that and I don’t want Arsene to go through that. I think this will happen even if there are a few die hards like you out there GN5, and I am sure you don’t want to witness that.

I would love him to get the F.A cup and top 4 and then make that change for better or worse.

It does feel as though we are stuck.

If Sanchez and Ozil leave they will be replaced by exciting new players – no-one is irreplaceable.

Same goes for AW

Bonsoir

Sanchez and Ozil go, I storm, other than that don’t mind as change is the best.

I might watch Brighton v Newcastle or for birders, Seagulls v Magpies. 1st v 2nd in the other division.

By birth, I should support Brighton

ha ha ha and Eddie did a speed awareness course 🙂

I’ve done two and it’s still all Greek to me

why don’t you support Brighton then? I know someone who knows the owner well, could sort you out a season ticket

what’s Greek to you micky? I got the message no problem – you have to be alert and watch out for the cameras. Even in fooking Cuffley.

The course was a shocker, I expected a room full of good looking young men who like driving a bit too fast and instead they were some 20 old fools like me 🙂 Waste of time and £85 for a coffee with a muffin.

Blimey, I felt young on the last one, and not a muffin in sight!

As for a season ticket, no thanks, very much an armchairer now.

Brighton. Great new stadium on the other side of town from the old one. Wasn’t long ago they were one minute from going out of the league

Actually, I guess 20 years is quite a long time, but I remember it well.

20 years is a long time 🙂

No, I have learnt the lesson – they won’t catch me again. One of the director’s at my old job always sprayed number plates on his super bike with WD40 – never once did he get a speeding fine 🙂

I am an armchair fan too. I just admire Peaches going to the games, trying on different hats and scarves so she doesn’t freeze to death, gloves on, season ticket out and off she goes schlepping to N5, super trooper that girl

Cheers, fgg.

If I had to choose, I’d go for Neil’s sister in The Inbetweeners.
    Little Mix – yuck.

1-0 Brighton

Evening Chas. Neil’s sister who? Worth a graphic? 🙂

This from Goonerholic on the TV selections for April…….

“The trip to Crystal Palace is now the first of consecutive Monday night fixtures for the Gunners on April 10th. Hopefully most will be able to make South London and back on the night, although I do know some who won’t. Sky stored up a real beauty for the following week.

On Easter Monday we now travel to Middlesbrough, yes Middlesbrough, for an 8pm kick-off. That makes train travel much more expensive and will involve a stopover for those who won’t make the tortuous coach journey. Why on earth could they not bring the kick-off forward to give the travelling faithful an opportunity to get home by rail? Thoughtless in the extreme by Sky there.

They couldn’t have done anything to compare with that, could they? How about move the last north London derby at the current incarnation of the swamp back to 4.30 on a Bank Holiday Sunday. I cannot believe the police didn’t veto that. Sky know full well what the atmosphere will be like once the two tribes have been on the lash for four hours before the renewal of acquaintances. I suspect they will have as many cameras outside the ground as in. Irresponsible doesn’t begin to cover it.

And yet we know the counter arguments. Television is paying absurd sums of money for the privilege to show matches and they will manipulate the fixtures for their benefit. That wouldn’t hurt quite so much if supporters were getting something in return. Instead the clubs trouser the cash and use it to further fuel transfer and salary inflation. The supporters are well and truly screwed with nobody to protect their interests.”

GB,

I am most certainly an Arsenal advocate but I do not think of myself as die hard. The definition of “die hard” is “somebody stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause” – and that most certainly is not me.

My feeling is that AW has earned the right to determine his own future. He has created several different teams that could have and should have won the PL. However a variety of different circumstances have caused that not to happen and it is foolhardy to assume that he was/is 100% responsible for all of those different factors – although it’s very easy to make the manager the scapegoat – ie: Claudio Raneri.

Managers came and go on a routine basis in the PL and it can be argued that on the few occasions that is successful it’s because they have been given an open cheque book. NO manger at Arsenal will EVER have that luxury so they will have to depend on their own guile. AW’s methodology’s are so deeply entrenched in the club that if a new manager tried to make quick changes it would cause a huge turmoil.

I believe that you can have change without improvement but you cannot have improvement without change so therefore it is change that is required but the question is just what is that change?

Will’s mum is pretty gorge, too.

ok Chas, I can see why if you had to choose…

Where would Ant ‘n Duck rather go for an away game, Brighton or Newcastle?

Brighton was fun when we went a couple of years back.
    The ground is a bitch to get to though.

We know a fair few Geordies through one of our mates who lives in Notts so Newcastle is usually good fun socially. St James’s is right in town, though the upper upper tier is pretty shite.

I think there’s some initiative to have away fans pitch side in the Prem next season. Unless I’ve imagined it!

Here’s Little Mix, GoonerB’s other choice.

All upper back seats in big grounds are rubbish. In my limited experience.

oh dear god, GB
    Mind you, he did say all four, so a little more tolerance for the sheer greed of the man

One of Little Mix is going out with The Ox as well, so it’d be a bit incestuous. 🙂

yip, that’s a bad seat

shitballs 2-1 Toon

34. fatgingergooner says:

I would go with Simeone if I had the option. If you’re going to do a change then I say go all out and change everything. Philosophy, tactics, personnel, everything! These players have had it too comfortable for too long and need to learn what workrate and defence is all about. They all know how to play football so if a manager came in who could specialise in the ‘dark arts’ then we could have one hell of a team which is capable of being solid whilst also being comfortable with the ball and quick on the counter. I think Wengers recent signings have more of a workrate and backbone about them and it just needs to be used in the right way. Players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Elneny, Sanchez, Koscielny, Bellerin, Welbeck all strike me as players who will do the hard yards if needed. If we could add our own Koke and Godin then we would be a team to be feared again. I would say we haven’t been feared for a long time.

Excellent comment FGG.

Kinda tweak the system and had some grrrr

I reckon Simeone will stay at Athletico as they’re moving in to a new stadium which can change colour!

Massimiliano Allegri 2 4 5/4 6/4
    Thomas Tuchel 7 8 10 7
    Eddie Howe 12 8 12 8
    Diego Simone 14 14 12 8
    Brendan Rodgers 9 8 16 10
    Leonardo Jardim 14 16
    Patrick Vieira

Eddie

If Eddie Howe 36-22-34 gets the job, I storm.

Allegri looks like one of the Blues Brothers.

I prefer Eddie Howe’s statistics

what’s that bust-waist-hips 🙂
    I would prefer Howe, but the bookies favour Allegri

raddy – that photo was one of his best ones 🙂 on most he looks like Mr Bean

Eddie 😀 So does AW

looks are not likely to be one of the criteria for our next manager. I guess it will be the number – how much do you need to win the league? £20m?? Feck off Howe, next!

Eddie
    What else were the numbers after each candidate?

We need much more than 20m. More like 150m, A Veratti/Vidal to replace Coquelin. Griezmann to replace Theo etc etc

Erik

If, God forbid, Sanchez AND Mesut clear off, then we have a massive problem because you’re then trying to persuade players like Griezmann to come and play with Aaron, Ollie et al

Let’s be honest, they’d rather go to any of our English rivals if that were the case

micky – millions of geebs required by the candidate to win the micky mouse cup alone

Massive problems ahead, that’s pretty obvious. Perhaps only Sanchez will go, let’s hope so. One way or another the comfy 4th place will no longer be guaranteed, which will make Kroenke one unhappy yank.

BTW – who is weirder looking – Trump or Kroenke? Some bad, bad, bad plastic surgeons over there

I only think massive problems if top players leave, and they would be massive as you say.

However, if they stay, we could be in good shape going forwards.

Now, let me remove some of my gloom

With the exception of Chelsea, we’re doing as well as any other English Club, so there’s no immediate disaster. The League is close, and we could end 2nd or 5th, but the margins are small.

Therein lies the rub. The margins are small. Ergo, like the others around us, we’re a tweak away from going upwards as we are from heading downwards.

48. VP of Oz says:

Bugger, forgot my last line of thought

For me the catalyst as to whether we tweak upwards or tweak downwards is Sanchez. He represents not only quality but also work ethic.

Absolutely no idea if his future is linked with Arsene’s new contract or not, but I do believe the air of uncertainty needs to be cleared up asap

Morning all. Micky your 8.42 resonates. You are right that it will be harder to persuade top players to arrive if other top players are leaving.

I think this will be more down to the image the club has amongst top players in this circumstance. Unfortunately the only real way to change that image is with a change at the top and throwing money at it where it portrays a club going through an exciting new phase.

On the Sanchez thing, I have an idea for a post of some sorts but can’t do it now. Will see if I can later.

Thanks to Chas et al for all the images of little mix, Will’s mum and Neil’s sister. You don’t know of any deserted islands I could rent for cheap for a long weekend do you? Also could you throw in a couple of pics for Terry. His favourite group is Little Mix’s Greek sister group, “Little Shish”.

GB

I’m deeply hurt and insulted that only my 8:42 did some resonating with you 🙂

52. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

Do ‘Little Shish’ tour with my favourite German boyband ‘Fünf’!? 😂

just finished advanced googling. Thank heaven there is no german boyband called Funf

Germany general manager Oliver Bierhoff feels Mesut Ozil was let down by his Arsenal team-mates in the 5-1 Champions League defeat at the hands of Bayern Munich.

Haha Micky, you resonate with me in many (heterosexual) ways. Anything beyond this (heterosexually speaking) you will need to speak to FGG about. I mean anyone with a favourite German boyband called “Funf” must be trying to tell us something 🙂

It conjures up an image of those male leather clad, tight short, Europop bands you used to see at the end of the 90’s classic show Eurotrash……not that I used to watch it.

Anyone else beginning to get that tingling feeling ahead of the Pool game this weekend?

Feels a bit like ’89, although there’s no league title at stake and it’s not on a Friday and we don’t have Michael Thomas to charge through the midfield for anything to be up for grabs.

57. Ozil goes, Jack comes back.
    Am I the only one who still likes Jack?

59. fatgingergooner says:

If Özil goes I reckon we end up with Isco, although I’d rather we play Ramsey in there and get the best out of him before we buy anyone else. Maybe a more hard working player like Ramsey at 10 will resolve some of our other issues too.

As for fünf (Five in English, used to be a boyband, hence the joke), today is my birthday, so if I want to make terrible jokes in German then I will! 😄

Happy Birthday FGG. Have a riotous evening

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Fattie 🙂 🙂

Big Al – yes.

micky – no, I don’t like pain

Happy birthday FGG. Sorry too dim witted and uncultured to get the “funf” joke…..and too carp on computers to make an umlaut.

I rate Jack highly myself and feel he would be best in a freer advanced central position, but so would Rambo. So if we lost Ozil but kept these 2 how could we work it?

Firstly Ozil is the master of the assist and sublime passing but I still feel both Jack and Rambo are no slouches at this either. With more playing time in central advanced creative roles they could get more towards what Ozil provides. On the plus side I feel both Jack and Rambo have more goals in their game potentially.

Going all fantasy football managery and looking at a scenario where we lose Mesut but get 2 signings (of my choice) I could see us line up in a 3-5-2 ( maybe more 3-3-2-2..or 3-2-3-1-2..or 3-2-4-2..or…well you will get the gist 🙂 ) with devastating effect….so here goes :

Cech

Mustafi Holding Koscielny

Bellerin Matuidi Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wilshere Ramsey

Aguero Sanchez

Happy Birthday FGG
    Drink plenty of water, and remember to take some pills before bed.

GB
    That’s your worst ever tactically bollocked line up. Awful 🙂

Nite all.

ooh, this is exciting:
    “Luis Enrique: Barcelona boss to step down at end of season”

a position becomes vacant and there are not that many great managers out of contract

Is Wenger good enough for Barca? Is he writing his CV as we speak?

my head is spinning – Wenger goes to Barca, takes Feo and Olly with him, sits Messi on the bench, we approach him…endless possibilities really 🙂

Watched the RM game last night. Ronaldo at his petulant best.

Eddie. Barca have tried to sign AW many times. I think he is too old for them now.

too old for Barca but not too old for us?

wasn’t it Bale who was sent off last night?

Yes. A bit of petulance. He’s Welsh.

There is a New Post

70. Did you write this Raddy?

71. What was Danny Fiszman thinking? Why did he feel it was better to have all the eggs in Stan’s basket rather than owners with a competitive edge?

If only we knew……..but you’re right Raddy(?) we aren’t competitive and we should be. Why should we be in the shadows of the Manchesters and Chelsea?