Carl Jenkinson. A Worry.

We do not think much about the travails of the modern PL footballer, we assume that the fame, bright lights, supercars, surgically augmented girlfriends  and vast wealth must make for a wonderful life, and in most cases it seems to – but as with most things this is not the whole truth. Let us look at one of our own, Mr Carl Jenkinson.

A gooner all his life with a dream to play for his club, something all of us have dreamt of but in Carl’s case it became a realty, sadly, not bringing the joy he must have assumed would come from his achievement.

Unknown.jpeg

The Birmingham Mail are reporting that Carl is about to be loaned to Aston Villa in January. Does this herald the end of his Arsenal career? Were a couple of quite frankly piss-poor performances enough to convince Mr Wenger that Carl cannot cut it at Arsenal? Perhaps.

West Ham Bob assures me that Carl did well in his first few games at WHU but towards the end they were delighted that he got injured, such was the negativity surrounding his play. Carl returned and got fit, Boosh was injured, Hector got injured, Carl got his chance, failed, Boosh got 20 minutes and Gabriel was brought in at RB. How will that affect the confidence of a man already questioning his abilities? Not well, one would imagine.

Arsenal are known to have a team of top psychiatrist and motivators, they realise how much stress is placed on young men with no life experience other than being lauded for being excellent at football. Just the fact that 80+% of footballers go bankrupt within 5 years of retirement highlights this naivety. Goodness knows how many succumb to addictions in a futile attempt to fill the gap of the dressing room.

Mental fragility is never discussed about top sportsmen but skill is not enough. In golf, there is something called the “yips”, when a player who has previously been able to putt with astonishing accuracy suddenly cannot. It is a nervous complaint and very, very difficult to remedy; it has cost players their careers. As a team sport footballers have less focus but not much.

Carl’s performance against Southampton when he couldn’t find a pass, completely lost his ability to judge where he should be in relation to the play and continually ran into trouble was reminiscent of the sad day when Eboue ‘s form disappeared. Eboue had the strength of character to resurrect his Arsenal career. Can Jenkinson?

On the AFC website today there is a piece on Jenks coming back from rehab, I could be wrong and Carl may well have a glorious future as Bellerin’s understudy, but I fear for him. Above all I wish him well.

61 Responses to Carl Jenkinson. A Worry.

Nice piece Raddy,

Carl reminds me of some of the old time players who perhaps had more passion than out and out skill, but I have a real soft spot for him and would love to see him, against all odds, have a successful career at Arsenal.

I believe that his love for the Arsenal and his desire to succeed puts so much stress on him that he is trying far to hard and he needs to just play simple football until his self confidence improves.

But I also fear that his future will not be at Arsenal.

-13c (feels like -23 with the wind chill factor) and snow here today

Fascinating post. I must admit I didn’t notice anything wrong with Jenkinson against Southampton. Not trying to say it didn’t happen but is there anyone else who noticed it in real time? I thought he came off because of a physical injury. The physiological issues must be quite bad for the club to be so open about them. I always had the idea that these things are brushed under the carpet as much as possible.

Still he is one of us, I wish him all the best and I don’t think a move to Villa is such a bad thing.

Great post, thank you Raddy.
    I hope you are wrong about Carl and he is simply not match fit yet. That is because I know only too well that there is not strain as bad as a mental strain. Most difficult to cure as well.

I like Carl a lot. He was the one to dedicate his Arsenal career to the granddad, an Arsenal supporter. Nice boy, true Gunner, we want him to do well.

All the best Carl.

it seems nobody gives a shit about carl. Fickle fans.

Cheers, BR, a fine post.

To tell the truth, I’m struggling to worry about Jenks when I’m still a little perturbed by Tuesday’s performance and result.

Good luck, Carl, hope it all turns out well for you.

now you know not to go to game sober, that will learn you

are you off to a party then? have fun

Tell you what, Erik, if I’d had vast wealth and surgically augmented girlfriends bouncing off every wall in my house when I was 20, there’s no way on earth I’d have been still alive at 30.

In fact, and seriously, I’m staggered at how well these guys do at staying on the straight and narrow.

Re Jenks.
    He’s a Gunner and should always be given preferential treatment.

Thanks for penning. Most entertaining.

Iggy. Always did have style and the colour of that dress is quite fabulous

Knock, knock, Erik, are you there?
    I have a question

Anyone bored
    Final round of world surf tour now on
    Pipeline (name of wave) Hawaii
    then click on either live or dawn patrol

13. TotalArsenal says:

There is enough passion in that post to unfreeze the entire Danish nation, Raddinski ⚽️😍

The one bit of advice my dad gave me was to always aim to work one level below one’s top level. I reckon Jenkinson is one level above his maximum level; and it shows, running around like he desperately needs a poo most of the times. Lovely guy but time to find a permanent club in which he has a realistic chance of succeeding.

Blimey Total, I’ve been thinking about your Dad’s advice for about three minutes, which is two and half minutes longer than the only piece if advice my Dad ever gave me

I was engaged to a woman and clearly having doubts. He said simply that things would never be better than they were right then.

I scratched the fixture that night.

15. 1979Gunner says:

Agree with Total Arsenal @ 7:27. He might be a great lad and a Gunner through and through but he’s nit good enough for Arsenal. Neither is Coquelin, nor is Gabriel. Monreal is an accident waiting to happen. Defensive frailties (no hatchet man a la Keown) will cost us the title.

My old man’s advice was, ‘don’t work for the Civil Service’ as he hated it.
    I had an interview with them once and was interviewed by three old geezers who were barely alive. They ripped into my poor employment record and I virtually told them to eff off.
    He would have been proud.

Damn
    Surfing cancelled for the day

Jeez, sounds like we need a few new players in January.

Bloody hell, makes you think
    I’d better think of something sagely to say to mine. Yikes.

Two short, Chas, as always. You know the drill by now 🙂

Am I alone in thinking Jenks (see pic above) looks a little like a murderer?

(I’m running out of exceptionally sensible things to say)

‘Don’t listen to your Dad’?

yip, that might be the one 🙂

His eyes are a bit close together.

I thought you’d already told them to do something they enjoy as life’s too short.

I did and do, although I think they may have taken that particular course of action a teeny bit early 🙂

ha ha ha

Right, lowered the tone enough.
    On the morrow.

Can’t beat a good looky likey. Maybe something for us to do at dawn

Till then, offski

31. TotalArsenal says:

That’s brilliant advice Micky, very Zen-like I reckon.

32. VP of Oz says:

Night All.
    I’ll clock in for the night shift then.
    GN5 -13, damn thats cold. Do you turn the fridge off when it gets that cold?
    26 degrees today over here, I might go change into some shorts…

33. VP of Oz says:

Ok, time to sign off from the night shift and hand over to Chas and Didit etc.
    I think it went quite well and shorts were the right choice.

Thanks for rob holding the fort, VP.
    Pleased the shorts went well.

How bizarre it is that we’re all chat on here but are in different time zones, have different climates and, for some, come from different planets.

Yesterday’s chest expander chap was David Robert Jones.

Love your work chas.

The lookalike is perfect. Not sure about the morphs. as I think I stepped out with 2.

The chest expanders didn’t do too good a job on Mr Jones.

Wow re Davey Jones. Just went back to look and you can just about see it

Are 6:48’s lookey likeys or real

Ahem, excuse me VP

I believe you mentioned wearing short trousers. We do have a dress code around here, and gentlemen are permitted short trousers for strenuous sporting activities only.

So says Peter Plimsoll. The man who dons a skin tight rubber suit whenever he can.

I have another filler post. May attract more interest than a discussion about the mental stress of young millionaires 😀

But not much.

41. chas mobile says:

They are real people who look like footballers. Ibra is my favourite by a mile.

BTW, it just came up when I searched football look alikes. All I did was repost the photo.

I was rather looking forward to one about Fender guitars 🙂

Maybe a Messi to Arsenal headline and then a detailed examination of rock music

Sorry must dash

44. TotalArsenal says:

Morning AAers 🌥🌦🌤☀️

7 Di Maria is brilliant and 4 Messi? Cannot get 2 and 5

TA. 2 Bale. 5. You are right.

46. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Raddy, Wenger won’t be charmed with his lookalike… Quasimodo 🔔🔔🔔

i am awake. Sick dog at night, not a nice start to the day.

everybody missed the vid technology in ruling about pens in Japan. Do we really want it here? do we get more undeserved pens against us or do we get away with more?

How can video tech do anything but good?

It stops diving.

But I think (without any real consideration) that it should only be used sparingly otherwise there would be constant appeals for a review. Perhaps the managers could have two appeals each as in cricket.

49. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Raddy. 🙂 A bit of an enigma, really. I really like him, though. Maybe a loan move will be good.

Sorry, knot ear. laterz. 😦

Good point Raddy. I am sure the likes of Stoke and other bus parking outfits would deliberately disrupt the game by making false claims.

Or perhaps there should be a judge on the sideline constantly reviewing the footage and if necessary flagging offences. But again. What is someone like Harold Webb took the post? Manu would win every appeal

Eddie
    Maybe like in tennis each player gets x amount of appeals for screenage

Re: you would we get more or less? Don’t succumb to the victim mentality. We are not hard done by 🙂

I thought 5 was Naymar

or posh spice

My first thought was Posh Spice. Probably is the young minx

definitely posh like. I think all of those ugly mugs think they look like someone famous. 1 thinks he is Ozil.

micky – I think we get away with more 🙂 I don’t want video proof of that