Everton Pre-Match: Team and Statistics

In recent games we have been playing teams which are quite frankly, crap. Tonight we go to a proper club looking to extend our unbeaten run; none of the Orc, snarling Mancs, dodgy Swiss or East Larnderners variety. Everton are proper Top Table diners.

Here are a few facts about Everton:

Goodison Park was the first dedicated football ground built in the world.

The longest run of seasons in the top division

They have scored and conceded most goals in the top div.

Drawn and lost more games than any other team in the top div.

Top scorer ever in a season. Dixie Dean 60. Yes, 60!!

It is fair to say, that Everton have history. They may not be the behemoth they were in other times but despite a small(ish) ground, noisy neighbours and not being an Oiler club, they have managed to be there or thereabouts. Bringing in Koeman is a step in the right direction, though the chances of his taking them into the Top 4 are unlikely, he may well (given time) improve them ….

But, Everton are on a poor run of results and the fans are questiong the big Dutchmen’s abilities.

Here’s a stat: Koeman is the highest scoring defender in World football history, having scored 193 goals in 553 games at club level (inc. 67 for Barca) and 14 for his country.

Unknown.jpeg

There is much to say about Arsenal. 12 goals in 3 games. 3 wins in 8 days. There is a need to rotate before going to the Ethihad on Sunday. Picking a team will be difficult. Does AW dare drop either Ozil or Sanchez? Does he play Gabriel or Holding at CB? Who will play in the centre? Will Giroud get his first start of the season? This is what AW earns the big bucks for.

This is my guess, for which I am not paid a single sous….

Cech

Bellerin     Gabriel     Koscielny      Monreal

Ramsey    Coquelin     Iwobi

Walcott    Sanchez    Ozil

Pretty standard apart from dropping Ox and Granit, who will both be on the bench.

Why? Because if we can take 3 points at Goodison it will be a huge fillip ahead of a tough weekend, and as we all know, 3 points are 3 points 😀

Here’s another stat: In the PL years we have played Everton 48 times and lost just 6. A fine  and surprising record.

At home, at night, after a roasting from both the fans and the management the Everton players will be looking to win in style tonight. We should expect a tough game.

111 Responses to Everton Pre-Match: Team and Statistics

1. TotalArsenal says:

Ah you Spuddened out on the title! 😳

Fine preview and you are spot on the psychological challenge the team will face tonight. Hard to predict the line up and I am not sure whether Rambo is available again. Would be good to see Perez start to bring extra bite and goal threat.

I read that Ramsey is out injured, so I expect the same team as the weekend with the addition of Bellerin of course.

And save for injuries I certainly expect Walcott and Oxlaide-Chamberlain to be on the wings for the game against City what with their three at the back and all that.

3. Situmas Mudogas says:

Rambo is out. I m okay with team that played Stock city. But let Giroud and periz be given enough time to prove themselves

Excellent Erik, thanks

If I may say, excellent research. “They have scored and conceded most goals in the top div”. I think you’ve spotted their Achilles heel right there. Conceded the most. Shooooot.

Like LB, I see no reason to change the team.

Should have checked who is injured!In that case I expect to see Elneny, not Granit.

I don’t believe the Rambo injury stories

AFC.com lists only Santi, Per, Danny and Debs as injured

I’m not making a judgement call here, but I reckon he’s off in Jan.

Out of interest Erik, why are you promoting Rambo and Elneny ahead of Granit?

Rotation, better suited to game, or just better alongside Coq?

Personally, I like the idea of sticking with Granit/Coq and letting the partnership develop

I like the idea of slowly bringing a player into the team. And I would like him to be raring to go at City where he will face a much stronger midfield.

Ramsey off in Jan? Highly unlikely but long term I cannot see how he becomes an automatic first team player. Nor Wilshere. And like JW Ramsey is sure to want to be the star turn.

Ok, I see.

I’m sort of going with LB style thinking, by which I mean Arsene is always very fair with players.

Like you say, and understandably, Aaron wants to be a starter and clearly that can’t be guaranteed at Arsenal.

In the last month, he’s started left, deep mid and no10. That’s Arsene being fair and sticking him in the window whenever, and wherever, possible.

Maybe my little conspiracy theory for the day. Maybe we can even start a fight 🙂

Raddy, your note that Everton have the longest run of seasons in the top division got me thinking and checking some stats.

Excluding WW1 &WW2.

Everton have been playing league football for 129 seasons, 11 in Div 2 and 118 in either Div 1 or the PL and they have been in the top divisions for 71 consecutive years.

Arsenal have been in league football for 113 seasons. 13 in Div 2 and 101 in either Div 1 or the PL and we have been in the top divisions for 92 consecutive years – which is more than any other team.

GN5 🙂

This was from Everton’s website!

I am not quite convinced about this proper club bit, hmmmmm, really, I don’t know, perhaps — almost a proper club…………..

Raddy, I checked some other sites and there are many differing stats so here is the data using just WIKI.

Everton have been playing league football for 118 seasons, 4 in Div 2 and 114 in either Div 1 or the PL and they have been in the top divisions for 63 consecutive years.

Everton were in Div. 2 for the 1939/40 season and again for 3 seasons from 1951/52 until 1953/54.

Maybe the Everton site is referring to the amount of years played in the top divisions and not consecutive years.

LB- 1st dedicated football stadium in the world? I would say that is proper.

15. Tai says:

I think Granit Xhaka has not yet truly lived up to expectations, which were quite high and I should blame Wenger’s very cautious mode with the Swiss for that.

Xhaka came as a high profile DM but at this moment Francis Coquelin is still ahead of him. If Wenger had completely trusted the Swiss international the way he did Shkodran Mustafi by now either Xhaka is the real deal or the jury is out. Arsene knows best but Xhaka should be starting all EPL games when fit.

The most important competition is the League…and rotation should only occur when other cup fixtures crowd up.

I don’t believe in saving players in the EPL for next match. It should be one match at a time and they all fetch three points each. Better beat Everton and lose to Man City than drawing both.

Put Xhaka in place of unavailable Ramsey in above line-up and we’re good for it.

Raddy, in checking out the Everton History I copied this from their official site. They have played a huge part in developing football especially in the north west region.

This is a listing of their 1sts, it makes interesting reading.

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Founder members of the Football League in 1888

Founder members of the FA Premier League in 1992

First club to be presented with the League Championship trophy

First club to present medals for winning the Championship

First club to stage an FA Cup final 1894, Notts County v Bolton Wanderers

First club on Merseyside to win the FA Cup 1906

First club to go on an overseas football tour

First club to construct a purpose built football stadium

First club to have a four-sided stadium with two tier stands

First club to have a stadium with a three tier stand

First club to issue a regular match programme for home fixtures

First club to have a player (William Ralph Dean) score 60 league goals

First club to wear numbered shirts from 1-11 (1933 FA Cup final)

First club to have a church attached to its stadium

First club to install dugouts

First club to install undersoil heating

First club to win a penalty shootout in the European Cup 1970 v Borussia Moenchengladbach

First club to play 4000 top-flight games

First club to amass 5000 League points

First club to play 100 seasons in the top-flight

First club to stage a World Cup semi-final in Britain

First club to have the youngest Premiership goalscorer in two consecutive seasons with two different players

First club to break the £100,000 transfer threshold when Alan Ball moved from Blackpool for £110,000 in 1966.

First club to be featured in a TV game in August 1936 v Arsenal. Not live (pre-recorded).

First club to have scoreboard half time/full time facility

First club to have its own podcast

First club to have its own online social networking site.

First club to sell tickets via text message.

17. chas mobile says:

Thanks for the curtain-raiser, BR.

Ant and me are on the road again (Ant driving) and are both looking forward to our first experience of Goodison under floodlights.

It’s meant to be an intimidating place for refs so let’s hope Mark Battenberg has gelled his hair sufficiently to ward off any hostile barracking from the crowd.

Early goal, another 3 before half time and we might be safe.

18. chas mobile says:

Just south of Derby on the A50 at present and it’s pissistently raining. Hope it improves on the other side of the Pennines.

19. TotalArsenal says:

Good luck on the m6, C & A 🚕🚙🚌🚑🚓🚚🚛🚜🏍🏍🚒🚌🚎🚐

20. TotalArsenal says:

Nr1 blog rule…. BR is always right. 🎯

Chas, I’m looking at your route on Google maps and TA is right the M6 looks as if it may cause you some serious delays.

22. chas mobile says:

🏄🚀♨

23. chas mobile says:

Haha, thanks for the advice.
    We were aware that one of the busiest stretches of motorway in the world was always going to be ultra busy at rush hour in damp weather.

It just means we’ll have to reduce the beer intake or……..
    just drink quicker. 😆

Chas, you drink as much as you want but Ant will have to stay sad and sober 🙂 🙂

After all of you effort I hope you get to enjoy an Arsenal win.

Mrs. R. has just informed me that she has been given surprise tickets to the Danish Opera tonight. BR is being forced to attend.

Buggeration. If it was something which is of the slightest interest I could take it with fortitude but Danish Opera? When we are on tele in an important and possibly entertaining game?

I will have to record it and have an evening avoiding hearing the score.

Unfortunately Raddy it seems like you will be forced to hear a score of a very different kind 😦 😦 😦

27. akinzo says:

Wow!!! That was really insightful. I’d rather we start with Giroud upfront and introduce Sanchez towards the last 35 minutes to torture the tiring Everton defence. I always have raised feeling that oth time, Iwobi could mature into a class number 10. It’s yield we’ve been winning games without really hitting top gear. This is a trait common in champions and long may it continue., however, it is imperative that we swiftly rediscover our eye pleasing playing style again. I also hope we can maintain our unbeaten run without the classy Mustafi. He’s really been a mainstay at the back for us since he joined. Gabriel was beginning to impose himself at the right back before he was ploughed back to the centre last Saturday. And I hope his newfound confidence won’t want again. We should be glad that Coquulin is steadily maturing into an important defensive midfielder rather than lament that he’s ahead of the pricey Xhaka. The Swiss will eventually find his feet but it’s essential that he’s gradually introduced to he team than for him to be rushed. Any grave error and it could cause a long lasting effect on his confidence.

GN5. As you say 😀

Mrs R. just informed me it is a modern opera and the tickets were free i.e. no-one will pay to see it. I fear the worst.

Akinzo. I agree especially about Coquelin who is not my favourite player but is showing why AW has such faith in him

A & C, M6. Rainy night. Been there. Hated it. Hope you are carrying refreshments

Sadly, I must leave. If we lose I will be looking at you …. Yes, You … to blame.

But we won’t will we?

Thanks Raddy, you’ve learnt me some things there 🙂

This game seems to have gone under the radar somehow, but the more you think of it, the more slippery the banana skin.

I hope we start with a strong side and can get enough early goals to rest our gems …. but my gut feeling is a close fought 1:2 and a hard earned 3 points.

Raso we usually do well at Goodison we have a W11, D8, L8, PL record so we usually come away with points.

Everton have only won 1 game in their last 10 and have gained only 2 points from their last 5 games.

The odds are with us but are the football gods?

34. Tai says:

No pundit has predicted an Everton win tonight and that’s when to worry – whenever everyone expects dear Gunners to win. I hope they’ve left that particular characteristic behind

35. Lovely Raddy

I’ve always had a deceitful sort of respect for Everton, traditional club etc, but the truth is when I think of Everton I just recall some big black kid at my school called Everton who enjoyed sitting on people.

I am a bit nervous tonight. Not about the score, we will thrash them, more anxious about been sat on for my cream bun.

A victory tonight will send out the message we mean business, words usually uttered by suit wearing management prats, but in our case they mean something.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Hi GN5, we will see, this is certainly a game we should take seriously.

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Holding, Gibbs, Elneny, Iwobi, Lucas, Giroud

Arsenal XI: Cech, Bellerin, Gabriel, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/live#hfGeckpGg8T2gq6P.99

Same team with Bellerin, go get um boys…………

In sync LB……….

I’m still amazed every time I look at the strength on our bench. 🙂

41. chas mobile says:

Murphy had just bought a new pair of Wellington boots and was showing them off to his mate, Paddy.

Paddy said…. “Sure, they’re a fine pair of boots Murphy, but tell me, why have you painted ‘L’ on one boot and ‘R’ on the other?”

Murphy replied..” So that I remember which goes on the left foot and which on the right”.

To which Paddy said: ” Ah!…so THAT’S why my wife has C&A on her knickers”.

Ok, who scored?

ha ha ha Eddie. I like that 🙂

Looks like there are more AA’ers at an away game in Liverpool than on the blog

In many ways, an impressive stat

alexi baby and some scoucer. Very fast game

people are calling the Vines brothers C&A, that’s not nice

I fear we are going to need some Giroud sized inspiration from our bench.

We didn’t really have to work to be 1-0 up and then we let them get their tails up and crowd behind them and suddenly we are on the back foot.

Need more ball retention in their third which we are not earning. Goidison is a tight ground and the fans are on top of you but you need to go and get chalk on your boots if playing wide otherwise we will get far too congested.

Colemans run from right wi g to middle of goal proves it’s possible and that there’s no need for our wife Ken to run towards goal that early.

48. I’m on the sofa but I’ve got rubbish internet so can’t really blog but I’ll keep trying 🙂

wife ken 🙂
    wide men?

Bonsoir fellow fans

50. TotalArsenal says:

We are doing well with nine men

51. TotalArsenal says:

Hehehe subs on and now we have 11 on the pitch again 😀

excellent game

Shitballs
    Come on lads

Don’t you just hate minnows

55. TotalArsenal says:

Ozil and Alexis gave everything but needed help from others today as they clearly were fatigued. They did not get this and that’s why we lost. Koz was immense. a little setback.

56. fatgingergooner says:

Surely that was a pen at the end? Not seen the replay but looked a clear pen.

57. I think our team hate minnows!!

We created a lot of chances but as each one didn’t come off we dropped in our desire to keep going.

Can’t be champions if we play like that.

Fair play to Everton, they were pathetic at the start of the game but suddenly found themselves and didn’t give up.

58. fatgingergooner says:

Iwobi should’ve scored though. Good defending to clear off the line but should’ve ended 2-2. More pressure on the City game now. Can’t afford to lose 2 in a row as confidence will soon disappear. We have some good looking fixtures after the City match and don’t want to be going into them second-guessing ourselves. Bad time for a poor result.

Chelsea will probably lose tomorrow, then we can pretend this never happened

Nite all

Well that’s the blog comment death sorted for a day or two whilst we hear why the players have been let down by Arsene again.

Disappointed in the performance tonight no real drive to get a goal until it needed to be an equaliser. We were constantly exposed at the back and that bugs me if we are playing centre midfield of Xhaka/Coq.

Too many times the ball came back from Lukaku to their midfielders, really no excuse except as TA points out we were missing a couple of limbs tonight with our wide men being ineffective for whatever reason and that maybe meant Xhaka and Coq tried to help giving Alexis and Ozil options.

In games where we know the crowd has a big effect on the opposition performance we really must learn to bore the tits off them just by keeping the ball and not giving them a sniff of playing on the counter.

Oh well we can comeback against City on the weekend.

Saying that I thought we did have enough chances to win it before they scored.

61. fatgingergooner says:

Easy to say now but I thought some rotation would’ve been good tonight. We looked a bit tired in stages and now with City at the weekend we can’t really afford to rest anyone. Would’ve made sense to rotate a couple tonight with City in mind.

I think these last two games were both rest and rotation, got to believe Rambo starts at City in place of Theo or Ox. Maybe Iwobi to start too?

63. And their crowd were amazing

64. I can’t see any rotation for Sunday, I reckon the same team starts.

65. IanRealGunner says:

Same old…..same old. It looked a bit like we were coasting. We shouldn’t have to send the keeper up to try to rescue a point at Goodison!!!

66. Red Arnie says:

thank you, Raddy. 🙂

we were flat, and tihs happens. onwards and upwards. are the moaners out of the woodwork yet!

Technically, it’s a slider 🙂

Exile and Arnie

Well, if losing means more comments, then that would at least be a positive, although I have no idea which site you’re both referring to.

This day, Dec 14 1911, Amundsen first man to South Pole

I leave the team in YOUR hands and what happens? We lose 3 important points.

Not good enough.

Micky. Amazing bloke Amundsen.

72. VP of Oz says:

The hardest thing with Arsene, is that he builds teams that can go on a long stretch without losing, that when they do lose, you just feel numb.
    Bound to happen but why now, why not in the off-season…

73. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

Was Amunsen an expert in ice sliders?

Erik

Now look here sunshine, I’m only 50% responsible, alright. You ponce off to the opera yer bloody luvvie, while I pottered down to the village to read a lesson at carol service.

Did my bit, back by half time. Bt far the better Gunner.

Mmmm, I don’t know anything about Amundsen.

VP
    That’s the same for any manager whose teams are top four’ish. Win most, lose some. Chelsea will lose tonight and then we won’t mind about last night 🙂

Arnie
    He cheated and used dogs. Shackleton used sweat 🙂
    However, he was a slider nonetheless 🙂

Thinking about it I did lay the blame solely at your door Micky for any car crash performances at your door after your comment the other day. Ergo you are most definitely to blame.

78. TotalArsenal says:

Brexit is to blame for everything and Micky was a vociferous proponent… so yes, blame it on the Didit 😳🙃

79. chas mobile says:

This is the one thing I wanted to have a look at from last night.

Watched the game. We lost for two reasons, because we didn’t take our chances and because the referee was blind.

Chances. Ozil two, Iwobi had relatively easy finishes and blew them.

Ref: Penalty and the corner, Both would have at least given us a draw.

We fight again.

Why Szcz is on loan.

Playing with 9 men.

I also thought we looked weaker defensively with Hector at right back which, I suppose is obvious as Gabs at right back stayed back much more.
    The gap between Hector and Gabs was too large. Lukaku realised this and drifted over to that side

I bumped into some fair-minded neutral football supporters over the park earlier and asked them their opinion of Arsenal’s defeat to Everton.
    The reply was a unanimous – it was Venga’s fault.
    He was criminally culpable in failing to respond to Everton’s increased use of aggression and lack of protection from Clattenberg.

Only kidding.

By the way, my matchday experience was absolutely appalling.

The journey there took 4 hours including some tortuous driving for Ant on a satnav-driven diversion trying to escape the mayhem on the M6.
    We arrived too late to go to the pub. I had one pint of Chang piss in the ground and proceeded to watch a live game of football sober for the first time in about ten years. How you tee-total mob put up with it, I’ll never know.

We had some particularly loud, aggressive and foul-mouthed Arse fans directly behind us who must have screamed the ‘c’ word dozens of times over the course of the second half.
    I took my hat off at half time because I was too hot but had to put it back on again during the second period, both to slightly muffle the sound which was giving me a headache, and also to protect my head from spittle.

The 2 hour journey home in the company of my brother and some fine music was, by far, the highlight of the evening.

chas – serves you right! You have had far too much good times in your life as it is!

I don’t want to talk about last night. After Everton equalized I went to bed, I just knew this is not looking good.

Anyway, not sure if you mean it or not, about the sober footy fans, but I tell you from experience that when I stopped drinking I found lots of things very difficult to do sober – socializing, cooking, sex, following Arsenal. I can easily do most now (not that I like it) without a drop of booze for about 15 years. Footy is the hardest, still wish I was comatose

Japan’s Kashima Antlers became the first side to benefit from a video replay in a Fifa competition as they scored a penalty in their 3-0 Club World Cup semi-final win.

Referee Viktor Kassai stopped the game after being alerted to an incident by his assistant, then gave a penalty after viewing footage on a monitor.

Chas I have been Goodison once and I know travelling from Norwich is never going to be an enjoyable journey A roads for hours until civilisation and the motorways, but it seems to take forever to get to Stanley Park after you start seeing signs for liverpoooooool.

Add to that the away end is a step back in time thirty years, no chance of sitting on those wooden seats, from memory they closed the bars at half time due to some unpleasantness which unsurprisingly led to lots more unpleasantness.

But despots all that I actually enjoyed my visit to Goodison, I think it was the game Jack replacedcDenilson mid way through first half spelling end of Denilsons time and Jacks rise

91. VP of Oz says:

so you take photos on a train but not in a car? very disappointing…

92. VP of Oz says:

So I just read an Ibrah article on ESPN (sorry about that) and had to laugh on the following comment –

William Ned Waitt · Works at Stein Inc.
    Your smoking dope he never would fit into a Fergie side. He is lazy slow, arrogant, and frankly his passing sucks. Rooney is a short guy but he holds the ball better than Ibra. We dumped RVP for this piece of shite. Javier Hernandez would have been killing at our team now. His style of hard work and great passing would have fit in with Uniteds youngstars. Instead we have to watch this lumbering camel that occasionally makes a good pass, and scores a few goals in bunches and then dissappears for a few games. We have stooped so low that we praise a striker that is destroying the development of our two talented forwards Rashford and Martial. You dumb fans booed Forlan for missing too many chances. He played harder and won our hearts. has our esteem dropped so much we hire a losing manager, sign a 35 year old to be our loan striker, and we sent Giggs packing. An idiot could mange United better than Jomo. Just plain pathetic. for the first time in 26 years i am embarrased to be a fan of United, I am watching a legacy of a club that overcomed amazing odds to reign at the top, flutter to pieces. We are in sixth place we have more ties and losses than any era sinc the 70’s, our manger floats us around like we are the underdogs in a weak europa division, and our fans applaud him. You spit on a classy manager like LVG for not getting the job done, and you praise new manager to lead us worse. We are lucky to be in 6th place. we have the testy holiday schedule if we drop points he needs to go. We can’t sit around and wait for an expensive manager like Jose to turn things around. If we do everything you stupid fans criticised about appointing Giggs is minute. Giggs could have built us to winners in 3 years. We brought Jose in to do it quicker and it is not happening. Just plain shite. all you Jose fans can get the finger the Middle

If you can watch the clip of Maureen celebrating with his players on the pitch after beating Palace last night without laughing you are dead to me. They beat Palace, you’d think they just won a FA Cup Quarter final.

Oh no, I expected some of the others to drop points last night. They all won.

Trophies are far wimps anyway 🙂

Are we meant to guess 6:49
    6:52 no comment

Yessss, our title hopes go up in smoke, the sliders return. I’m heppy

Can we have the summersault into the box one again?

but micky – there are no other managers to replace Wenger. he is the best, genius and magician. We want him to stay forever in knowledge that we are in his safe hands and in many more seasons finish in top 4 is guaranteed.

Klopp? Conte? Who are they?

your sincerely Doomer

Lose at Bournemouth away 4-3 having led 3-1, you’re right Eddie definitely a manager the fan base could get behind 😉

GiE – you picked the only really poor result 🙂 trust you

6.49 could have been me. I had one of those spring muscle things.

So could 6.52. Moonboots and all.

Don’t want to talk about football, rather talk about the Rickenbacker/Fender Bass combo in The Who and it’s effect upon the development of rock music.

There is a New Post

103. 1979Gunner says:

Francis Coquelin is not good enough for Arsenal. Simple as that. Elneny should be picked before him. He is SO over rated.

104. hidden says:

If you would like to increase your knowledge just keep visiting this website
    and be updated with the latest news posted here.