The Righteous. Arsenal vs Them

What do you think when reading the following?

Sheringham,  Hoddle, Ginola, Berbatov, Robbie Keane,  Perryman,  Archibald, Graham Roberts, Paul Allen. I could go on.

I cannot say what you think, but I think ,what a bunch of execrable shitehawks. The very worst of footballing abominations.

And what links them all? They are in the Top 30 Spurs players of all time!!

What does this tell us? Plenty. Let’s start with the moral bankruptcy of a club steeped in the dark arts (Alan Sugar??). Then carry on by pointing out the total lack of a Title medal (Berbs had to leave to get one).

They are Pretenders. They exaggerate their abilities, exaggerate the size of their club, all we have to do to counter their pretensions is to point at their trophy cabinet in the last 25 years.

Arsenal remain the Premier Club in North London. Q.E.D.

And yet …

They have improved and in the past couple of season have almost but not quite achieved their main ambition which is to finish above Arsenal (LOL). And I like it. I prefer the frisson of a NLD which we could lose – for way too long it was so one sided it was like playing Islington Schools Second 11.

This afternoon (lunchtime) will be tense. Really tense. Because Spurs have finally got a team capable of challenging  – not for the PL, but to finish above us.To suggest they could be PL Champions is farcical and only truly considered after a night on the pop.

If Pochettino sends his team out to attack rather than PTB and play on the counter, we could be in for a terrific game. But he won’t. He will hope for an early goal and then we will see 80% AFC possession as usual.

Why will he do this? Because Spurs have a very good defence and defensive midfield but a weak attack. Eriksen is a terrific player and should be at a big club (not good enough for AFC though) but apart from him ….??

Enough of the Knuckle Draggers.

I wrote this on Nov 8 2015 : “Any NLD is exciting but this one is special. Spurs are unbeaten in 10 and we are joint TotL. A draw seems the obvious result but quite frankly the idea of the blue-bellied Scum leaving the Emirates with anything other than a damned good thrashing is unacceptable. Just think 5-2. This is a reasonable and just scoreline.” Uncanny that the situation is exactly the same.

Let us hope that Theo is recovered because he loves a goal against the Heathens.

Unknown.jpeg

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin    Mustafi    Koscielny    Monreal

Xhaka     Coquelin      Iwobi

Walcott    Sanchez      Ozil

If Ramsey was at 100% I would start him ahead of Iwobi, but what if Santi is fit? Does he start ahead of Xhaka in what is likely to be a physical midfield battle against Wanyama and Dembele?

I would love to see a Spurs red card this afternoon. Clattenburg is our referee – could be worse. Any man who sends off Me-rinho is OK in my book.

Can we win against a very strong Spurs team with a likelihood of Kane returning? Of course we can – Just read the opening paragraphs!

If Arsenal can start fast – which we have struggled with in recent games – and maintain defensive solidity – which we have struggled with in recent game, then we will win. We are at home, we have better players, a better manager, better fans, better playing style, better history.

The path of the Righteous man is beset on all sides by inequities (in this case The Miscreants).  We are The Righteous.

COYRRG

110 Responses to The Righteous. Arsenal vs Them

1. Ant says:

2. Even when rival fans do, I honestly do not fancy such bragging expressions before a vital game. Most times such expressions come back to haunt us. I hope they don’t in this case.

I’d pick same line-up as you did but you know Arsene and his love for Ramsey…he’d squeeze the Welsh in anyhow.

3. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. Brilliant. Thank you Erik the Hoon. That is perfect. COYG. 🙂

Is Monreal fit enough? I hope so,

I particularly liked “The path of the Righteous man is beset on all sides by inequities” 🙂 Tarantino 25:17.

Great rallying cry BR.

I think we could get a hat full today.

Can’t see any reason to be worried.

5. Ant says:

Thanks BR, love that Theo photo

Tai. If you lived and worked amongst Spurs fans perhaps you would think differently!! It is just an expressiont of our rivalry.

Note that I have not predicted a win – I never do. As you say it could come back to haunt us.

7. Ant says:

The only thing to be worried about is Arnie’s lucky pants

Annie. Good spot.

9. Ant says:

And Eddie of course

10. chas mobile says:

Superb, BR.
    I was close to vomiting reading that list of players at the start of the post.

When I read your post from last season yesterday, I was struck by the 10 games unbeaten run, so I had a look.

Their unbeaten run last season included several Spursday night games. They lost their first game in the League to the mancs.

It would be so nice for us to take their unbeaten prem record today and make it Invincibles Day as well. 😁

Much to be done before that can happen. Let’s hope the boys are right up for it. They’ve been making the right noises, just need the right performance now.

11. Red Arnie says:

Too early for me, Ant. But will be at the pub in an hour. Onwards and upwards. 🙂

12. Ant says:

The thought that Graham Roberts and Paul Allen are in their top 30 players is hilarious, both were awful players

13. Ant says:

And Gary Mabbutt.I ask you
    Someone will mention Steve Archibald…and then TMHT will be on!

14. chas mobile says:

Tits Mabbutt was one of my favourite spud players. I always felt sorry for him with his diabetes, yokel accent and large mammaries.

15. Enjoy your moment then BR…I don’t know of any Nigerian Tot fan nearby. All I need is the three points.

16. chas mobile says:

I could never stand Justin Edinburgh.
    Loathsome creature.

17. Ant says:

Crooks and Archibald were horrible

18. chas mobile says:

Clive Allen is one of their worst.
    He never forgave us for shifting him on before he’d played a competitive game because Kenny Sansom became available.

He not only scored against us all the time but became part of the spud back room when he got too fat to play, and then got upset when Wenger didn’t shake his hand. disgusting individual.

Ch/Ant. The list is endless. I could have filled a whole post with the names of ghastly Spuds. What about Razor Ruddock? More a pugilist than a footballer

The ones I chose were jus some the chaps who Spurs fans voted into their Top 30 players.

20. Ant says:

I think Tits had a whole in his heart as well, poor spud

21. Red Arnie says:

Tai, most of us here have friends / acquaintances who have fallen to the Devil. Some of us even have family on the other side. Nevertheless, footie is tribal, and it is our greatest pleasure to reserve our best behaviour for the slimy tribals from the swamps. 🙂

The test of Mabbut as a man was that he chose, I repeat, chose to play for Spurs.

If you asked any normal human whether they would prefer to play for Spurs or AFC, the reply would be instant and in favour of the red and white (assuming a level of sanity)

23. chas mobile says:

Chris Hughton, a seemingly lovely chap when he became a manager, but truly horrendous when pulling on the lilywhite jersey.

24. Ant says:

Razor is bloody funny though

chas. 10.20. Same for so many. Decent fellows corrupted bu The lure of easy money

26. Ant says:

Teddy Sheringham is the most loathsome of all though

27. chas mobile says:

BR

I was just enjoying how much I detest them. Especially their left backs it seems.
    Mind you, Danny Rose is a smashing chap.

Rose? Total onanist, but not as wristy as Walker

29. Ant says:

Right we’re off the train soon, see you in the pub after the game

Magnificent Raddy, I’m surrounded by the vermin, I suppose I have to make an exception for my brother and nephew – but apart from that you are spot on.

I’ve met Garry Mabbot several times and I have to say he’s a decent chap and spends a lot of time as a football ambassador in Africa.

No red cards for the Arsenal and let’s take our chances and we should have a delightful day 🙂

Raddy you must have your own private crystal ball – according to Canadian Sports channel TSN your team selection is 100% correct they have the subs as –

Ospina, Gibbs, Gabriel, Ramsey, Giroud, Oxlade and Elneny.

Well done, It goes to show just the depth of both your team and tactical knowledge of the Arsenal, nice to see……

Ali injured his knee in training and will be out for 3 plus weeks – how sad is that 🙂 🙂 🙂

Kane starting for the crappies.

Tottenham substitutes: Vorm, Trippier, Carter-Vickers, Winks, Onomah, Nkoudou, Janssen

Tottenham XI: Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Wimmer, Rose, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Kane

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud

Arsenal XI: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Iwobi, Alexis

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/live#6mSM0dWPzEUCImTx.99

35. Red Arnie says:

wow, Raddy, well done. 🙂 COYG. 🙂

No surprise how good Spurs are. Very open and entertaining game so far.

amazing PM Raddy! you are always at your best before the NLD.

I don’t buy to the idea of being bored with always thrashing them and I am sure it was tongue in check on your part. They have a good team, but hey, how many would we take if we could? I’d take Llloris and Pochettino, but that’s about it,

off to watch the start, laters

oh ffs 3 great chances wasted in the last 10 mins

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 :):) 🙂 :):) 🙂 :):) 🙂 :):) 🙂 :):) 🙂 :):) 🙂 🙂

Get in. Beautiful header

Wimmer … the quality shines through 🙂 🙂

Time to consolidate now and punish them in the second half

who said Spurs cannot score?

Don’t let them wind you up boys, if anyone is going to get a player sent off it must be the totts

45. Exhausting game of football going on here, great header by Wimmer, serves Poch right really 🙂

46. Sorry haven’t had a chance to read the pre-match, I’m sure it’s fab, thanks Raddy

your loss Peaches, great piece of writing from Big

Spent all half trying to get poxy Kodi to work, got a 15 second glimpse as goal went in. Haven’t seen replays to see if anyone started in an offside position.

Stream woes I decided to setup a bet365 account to get inplay streaming….clearly doesn’t work when game you want to watch is being shown live in U.K.?

So finally went back to old fashioned and am waiting for traditional flash stream that seems to be working well!!

Not the start we wanted to the second half 😦

Why do we always come out from half time asleep … it happens too often

GiE – RojaDirecta always have good streams, sometimes with a foreign language commentary which is probably a good thing

Rasp – because that’s the time players have the after training nap on all other days.

I’m not sure players should relax at half time. Sure, get their breath back and rehydrate / take sugars on board, but mentally they should stay pumped up.

We have a much stronger bench than theirs …. let’s use it

I’m going to put it out there I don’t like the shape when we start with two more physical HM/DM type players like Xhaka and Coquelin. Get stuck with both thinking the other will hold and end up both going forward and providing less cover to defence than when we play one DM.

Hopefully with Rambo on we can get back to just one HM who knows his job.

Double sub….bold….

Very good subs, I hope we can adapt to the new shape quickly

😦 not good

We didn’t lose, but 2 points dropped I think 😦

I am disappointed. We lacked sharpness upfront which cost us the game.

Take any of the chances and we win at a canter.

FairPlay to Spurs, they played well but we dropped two points in a game we should have won.

My mouth was dry watching the game, I can’t say I enjoy watching NLD’s as they make me very tense. However it was an incredibly exciting game and the type that I would love to watch every week, not a bus to be seen on the pitch just attack minded players sent out to win the game.

Obviously the fact that we could be 4th having started the weekend 2nd will be a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. However we kept an opponent in check and we have other winnable games, we simply need to maintain form and remain unbeaten against teams from the lower half.

With 3 centre backs we were always going to struggle finding our way through the channels from wide areas as the three centre backs will occupy more of the 18 yard box, and if you haven’t got a big man for them to worry about they will allow space on flanks.

Would have liked to see Ollie on earlier and a bit more accurate long distance shooting, that would have made Spuds think twice about holding their shape defensively.

Biggest concern for me was how with two HMs we were stretched consistently at the back.

I’m not in the mood to tackle this one. I just want to sit in a dark corner and be sad.

Remembering that we didn’t loose is not enough to hang on to.

64. Tottenham supporters on my train bleating g about our goal being offside, how can an own goal be offside?

Not a great weekend for us as Pool and Manu are now both winning.

66. Peaches having just watched replay, I’d say Alexis is offside when the ball is played by Ozil, and Kozzer is in line with Wimmer.

Wimmer tries to play the ball because Kozzer and Alexis are behind him and he doesn’t know whether they are offside or not.

I think the ref and lino have to ask themselves one question.

If Wimmer misses it and Kozzer scores would they flag it offside because of Alexis? If no then goal stands, if yes then should have been disallowed.

If Kozzer wasn’t in the picture I’d definitely be asking for offside if I was defending as the only reason Wimmer would be playing the ball is because of Alexis position.

67. Thanks GiE, so we sneaked an own goal, even better 😂😂😂

68. Just seen what’s happening in the other games, we’re gonna have to up the ante on our goal scoring methinjs

69. Red Arnie says:

exciting game, but 2 points dropped indeed. not creative enough in the final third, and not alert enough to track back in defence. IMO.

against that backdrop, would be a good point if it was away, but at home, 2 points dropped I am afraid.

are we bottom of the league, yet? 😦

LB – being sad will get you nowhere. Time to take action – Wenger out.

chas – I bet you wish you stayed in bed

I agree with LB. Rarely have I felt so down after a draw.

I am watching Gospel Choir of the year. That’s is really alarming.

Raddy – you do know why you feel down after the draw, don’t you? Because it was a lucky result for us and we were not the better even despite the stronger bench

not the better team

Sorry Eddie are you saying Spuds were the better side? I think you need to move out of that street, it’s obviously having an effect on you 😄

75. Fooking Plato from Enfield says:

Going to football is for mugs.

Shitty Sunday service is even worse when a train scheduled for 2 hours 35 minutes sets off 15 minutes late, then loses another 20 minutes ‘ because the train can’t cope with the weather conditions so it has to travel slower’.
    The weather conditions, I ask you. You couldn’t make it up.

Still on the train stuck in a Kafkaesque nightmare wondering what I’ve done wrong to deserve such punishment. I’m innocent of all charges.

Much better to stay at home and forget about such a shite game 5 minutes after it’s finished.

GiE – there were times we played beautifully and at high tempo. But not all the time. I thought Spurs looked better organised, solid and wanting to win it. I don’t take glimpses of beauty to make it a better team. How many saves did Lloris make?

Plato – you can’t say I didn’t tell you so. Even though I know you are taking the piss

77. Red Arnie says:

BTW, forgot to compliment Rasp on the Poppy Banner. Brilliant. 🙂

Eddie. No.

We were the better team with more ideas and better organisation..

In no way were we lucky to get a draw.

The reason I am depressed is that we could not finish our chances and played our worst game for sometime against our nearest rivals.

well spotted poppy arnie! yes, it is nice

Raddy – how many saves did Lloris make?

80. Aaron says:

Counting the one off the post?
    And he would not have made that one either.

aaron 🙂 he didn’t have to The result would still be the same in his absence.

82. Red Arnie says:

we failed to maintain our intensity. we failed to put balls in the box. in any case, we had no one in the box to create an impact. we tried to use our pace down the flanks, and we chased very hard while doing so, but we managed to do this. but there was usually very little target for the ball.

this is what I found frustrating.

where is my Santi???

Spurs are the number one defensive team in the PL conceding a miserly .55 goals per game and they demonstrated why they are the best today. They closed us down and likewise we closed them down (no open play goals) but the game was still mainly played on the offense.

I equally disappointed but I’m certainly not depressed, although our showing in this game makes me doubt our PL title credentials, we still need to be more decisive in front of goal, the chances were there but we spurned them.

Thing is watching football you can always find something to rue. This thought went through my head after watching the header by Olliet that went comfortably into Lloris’s hands. “He should have glanced it because it would have been a definite handball against Vertonghen”……

It’s usually the missed chances that I think about – Ozil scuffing his shots, Iwobi’s soft shot, Walcott hitting the post, Xhaka/Ramsey misfiring on long range shots.

87. Nice one Raddy

Disappointing but nothing to panic about. I had the misfortune today to be sitting next to a man who was so depressive that after a while I could not help but be excited by his misery.

He wasn’t a moaner, far from it, just a naturally glorious doom merchant. “Oh no, it’s fourth again, poor Arsene”, “The lads are giving it there all, there just not good enough”, “We are better than Totnumb, but not by a big enough margin to win the league” etc etc.

Seeing my opportunity I began dialogue. “Your so right mate, makes me want to cry. It’s hopeless, we just have to accept that from now on we can only pull middle aged women and that Garth Crooks has a job with the BBC.

This enthralled him, specially the bit that he could pull a middle aged women.

To push him further, “This is terrible mate. Reminds me of 1978. We had just beaten Totnumb five nil and I actually thought we could challenge Liverpool for the title. Three days later we had WBA at home and despite the heroics of Liam’s genius, the bastards done us 2-1. It was then I realised the horrible reality, the scouters would win it again and the only thing on the box that night was Upstairs Downstairs.

“The thought of there on pitch title celebrations, were because he hasn’t got a moustache Kenny Dalgliesh gets humped by Graham Souness was to much for me mate, so I decided to end it by jumping of my Bungalow roof. Just when I was going to do it however, I remembered I had a ticket to go watch Paul Daniels magical extravaganza down Leicester Square, couldn’t miss that could I? You don’t like Paul Daniels though do you mate?”

This got him so down, he got up and started walking out, probably wondering how high his roof was.

I watched the game in peace after that.

88. TotalArsenal says:

Few PL teams that play CL football midweek are able to win their subsequent PL game, as Leicester, Citeh and Spuds and Arsenal have demonstrates again this weekend. The key attackers gave a lot against Sunderland and Ludogorets and were a bit jaded today. Key was not to lose and we didn’t, and nobody got injured which is also key. Our expectations were probably too high for this one hence the feeling of disappointment…. but if you think about it a draw was probably the best we could have achieved… one point won rather than two lost…

89. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. Terry. you are a genius. 🙂

90. Red Arnie says:

valuable thoughts, GN5 and GiE. still it is 2 points dropped.

91. Red Arnie says:

Total. Yes, the midweek syndrome is important. It would have been nice to go into the international break with a win a home. not to be, never mind. onwards and upwards.

92. TotalArsenal says:

A win, for many reasons, would have been great, Arnie. Wasn’t to be though. Let’s hope the boys make amends against Maureen’s lot. 🙂

93. Red Arnie says:

Yes, Total, agreed. Let’s hope so.

Hi Arnie, It’s great to see you back and giving us your input once again.

I’m off until the am, I’ve got to concentrate on a multi sudoku (five in one) that’s driving me crazy.

96. Red Arnie says:

morning micky, did you watch the game yet? What do you reckon?

I am still sore from yesterday. such an important game and the team didn’t live up to expectations. Sadly my theory, I know I am repeating myself but at my age it is allowed, has been proven right once again – any team that allows us to play beautiful football will be punished for it. Any team who disrupts the flow one way or another will succeed. Totts did exactly that – disruptive little shits.

And Santi, I know I said it before – he is our best playmaker, without him the team loses something special, like a choir without a lead singer.

Eddie
    There’s enough material in your comments to write a post.

Fancy putting a quick one together?

Would give us all something to bounce off and give you some folks to argue with as an added bonus. 🙂

Positive. 2 games in November and we remain unbeaten.

oh, hip hip hooray!!