Rest Sanchez?

Back on the road after a couple of lovely games at The Emirates and where do we go? You guessed it, Up North.

I have never been to Burnley, perhaps in the future I will be fortunate enough to visit the historic town but given my aversion to any UK trip North of Barnet, it seems unlikely.

In my youth Burnley were a massive club; unlike our opponents last weekend, they have history. 150 years ago Burnley was the largest cotton cloth producer in the world! Can you imagine? And in the 50’s/60’s their football club was their pride – a town of under 60k inhabitants had a team which won the League, the FA Cup and reached the quarter-finals of the European Cup.

Things have changed as the clubs from the large metropoles control the top of the leagues – Manchester, London, Barcelona, Munich, Paris, Madrid. Only Leicester have been able to break the monopoly.

Burnley’s ambitions this season will be survival in the Prem and to take a couple of big scalps. Beating us would be huge so, as always, our chaps should expect a battle.

My main concern is the pitch. Arsenal play fast-flowing, passing football which depends upon a decent playing surface – if I were the opposition manager the first thing I would tell the groundsman to do is make the pitch as bumpy as possible, especially if you play hoof-ball like Burnley or Chelsea. Big chaps like Grey and Vokes are more used to a Hackney Marshes than the Emirates.

For that reason, if fit, I would start Giroud, if not then Perez. I would also look to the Elneny/Xhaka axis and give Santi a rest.

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin    Mustafi     Kos    Gibbs

Xhaka    Elneny    Iwobi

Walcott   Perez    Ozil

I would prefer AW to continue with the starting 11 which marmelised the Chavs and Basel but what is the point of a large squad if we do not rest some players?

I would even be tempted to drop Ozil for Santi or Theo for Ox. This is not under-estimating Burnley but we have important games ahead and over-playing chaps who have not had full summer breaks results in a Ramsey situation.

Given the unpleasant manner in which the title contenders have started their seasons a win is important today and, of course, this is an anniversary weekend. Chapeau Arsene.

Let it be so

COYRRG

157 Responses to Rest Sanchez?

thank you Raddy, great PM! Funny you should mention Burnley’s history – I knew nothing about it and checked the other day if a city/town called Burnley actually exists. Yes it does, near the Scottish boarder just above Liverpool. I then checked its images and from what I saw, you needn’t bother going there, dismal

As to resting players, hmmmmmm…they are young athletes, what’s that about needing the whole summer of rest? They don’t play every day, once or twice a week. And we have internationals coming, that’s easy. Nope, sorry Raddy, I disagree and would play the strongest available squad every game. I am always worried about micky mouse teams on their own ground – dangerous animal.

And as you rightly mentioned – probably awful pitch, loud northerners and jealousy – all tricky to overcome. I expect a bus parked firmly outside Cech’s goal. Patience and intelligence is called for today

I like your team selection, you’ve been getting 11/11 lately, so I wont argue with you 🙂 thanks Raddy

Thanks Erik
    Great PM and I like the stuff about Burnley

Interesting threat from the pitch. They may even let the grass grow.

On the subject of rotation, and Sanchez in particular, I just looked up Chile’s fixtures and it does not make happy reading

Thu 6th October Ecuador Chile
    Wed 12th October Chile Peru
    Thu 10th November Colombia Chile
    Tue 15th November Chile Uruguay
    Mon 20th March Argentina Chile
    Tue 28th March Chile Venezuela

Yah, a BR pre-match.

Not easy trying to generate conversation before this one but the leave Sanchez out idea is as good as any — never gunna happen.

Same team as last week, there could be a twist in the use of the subs if something unexpected happens like they score but it should be a routine three points.

Agree with Eddie and LB

I’m going with same XI as last week. Very important game to win so that players aren’t going into the break all doomy

Think we have some walkover home games after the break 🙂

6. If Wenger were to leave out Sanchez, what a lift it would give to Burnley pre match.

Thanks Raddy. Blow them away by half time then bring certain players off.

I am still not sure it is a good idea to change from one type of striker to another from the start of games. These players are still developing an understanding of how to play with a mobile front man which is looking the way forward. To completely change the focal point of attack and how we move the ball forwards could upset the players developing cohesion and instinctive understanding of their team-mates movement.

As such if Sanchez has to be rested then Perez offers the closest style of play to him so we can continue developing our fluid attacking style.

8. Red Arnie says:

Thank you, Raddy. 🙂 and Happy 20th Arsene. 🙂

1-0 to the Arsenal will do fine for me.

COYG. Onwards and upwards. 🙂

9. Red Arnie says:

having seen Sanchez for some time now, I think he decides when to have a rest. Arsene’s will dominates over most players, but not this one. I suppose it is mutual respect. 🙂

I anticipate him to continue playing until he drops. 🙂 So be it, then. COYG

10. TotalArsenal says:

12/10 for that preview Raddinski 😀⚽️

We have not played a proper PTB team and Burnley may play that way. So we may see Ollie start with Alexis on left and Theo or Iwobi on the right to maximise our weapons to crack the Burnley defence. We definitely need extra height for defending set pieces as Burnley, much like Crystal Palace, waste no time to pump the ball into the box.

But our money should be on same first eleven as on Wednesday, with Cech for Oooooooooooosssspina hahaha. Very big three points ro play for today. CoyrrGs 💣💥💣💥💣💥

11. Nice Raddy

Don’t think Arsene drops or rests players Raddy? He expects them to do that themselves. That’s why if we still had Eddie Mcgoldrick, we may have a problem.

I like Burnley. It’s one of the only places you can go out dressed like John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever and fit in perfectly. I take frequent holidays there.

Such is the nature of modern football that many of our arrogant and pampered supporters will perceive Burnley a pub team and expect a 6-0 victory. I loath this hubris.

My prediction? They may be a bit pissed up, so 6-0.

RIP David Herd

Started: 1954
    Left: 1961
    Appearances: 217
    Goals: 107

He was a super striker for us and I must have seen every home game he played.

He was another of my boyhood heroes.

………………………………………………………………………………

Former Manchester United and Arsenal striker David Herd has died aged 82.

The Scot made 265 appearances for United and scored 145 goals, including two in their 1963 FA Cup final win over Leicester – their first major trophy after the Munich air disaster in 1958.

He had netted for Arsenal in the last league match United played before the plane crash, which killed 23 on board.

Herd, who won five international caps, started his career at Stockport and also played for Stoke and Waterford.

The son of former Manchester City forward Alec Herd, he made his senior debut for Arsenal in 1954 and scored 99 goals in 166 appearances for the Gunners.

After joining United in 1961, he scored in his first appearances for the club in the FA Cup, League Cup and all three European club competitions, forming a formidable partnership with compatriot Denis Law.

He won the league title twice while at Old Trafford but was not selected for United’s European Cup final victory over Benfica in 1968.

After retiring as a player, Herd was briefly manager at Lincoln City.

Thank you Raddy, I now know more than I did about Burnley 2 minutes ago 🙂

I’m with you, I definitely rest Sanchez. He can rest on the bench to be brought on if we need to inject some zip into the attack.

I’d start with Lucas up front (is Giroud still injured?), I’m hoping that now he’s opened his Arsenal account he will go from strength to strength.

Team news: Coquelin, Giroud and Ramsey

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of

The boss has given updates on Giroud, Coquelin and Ramsey, and this is what he had to say:

Giroud will be out, he will not come back. I think Coquelin is looking much better than we expected, he had a test today but I still think he will be short for Sunday.

on Coquelin’s recovery being much quicker than expected…

Because his ligament was not damaged as we thought. He is keen to start again but we have to be cautious. We have plenty of games coming up but for us now we work in cycles of three, week by week we play three games, so we have done Chelsea, Basel and it’s now to show that we can finish well the week.

on Aaron Ramsey’s injury…

Aaron Ramsey is out of the Wales squad. He should be available after the international break.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160930/team-news-coquelin-giroud-and-ramsey#ibuj2iXIVM0gXJ2k.99

15. Red Arnie says:

RIP David Herd

Thanks, BR.

Love the dissing of the bus stop in Fulham team. 🙂

I’d imagine AW will start the Xl who played against Basel, but what do I know.

Burnley Cricket Club, birthplace of Jimmy Anderson, is the designated away supporters boozing spot. It backs right up to Turf Moor and looks a lovely little ground. The only thing that spoilt it when we were there was that it was packed full of gooners. 🙂

Blimey, that story is better than mine and I thought mine was good. We (my family) missed our flights because a horse box had had a crash and there were horses on the M25.

Actually thinking about it mine pales into insignificance when I think about missing the first game in 15 years. Sad news, lucky that it is on telly though………

Mancs dropping two is always welcome. 🙂

LB

Tim was complaining this morning that the train ticket was £78 and took over 4 hours both ways.

I’d imagine he’ll get a refund at least.

Fifteen years is amazing. In a way it’s surprising events haven’t conspired before now to make him miss one in all that time.

I got out of the sea feeling a bit down after a rubbish surf session

First I read GN5’s comment that Arsene said “Giroud will be out, he will not come back”, then I see Utd dropped two points at home.

This could turn out to be very, very good day 🙂

Next up Spuds City. Doubtful both sides will explode, but Gunner positives from any result.

Pitch looks nice! 🙂

They’ve ploughed it up Chas. Eeeks, could be a tough game

Looks like a chuffin billiard table

Spuds 1-0
    Good news? We’ll always finish above them, so we could move closer to City

Ooops
    I didn’t push PLAY. Could only see the orange clay

As you say, each result has its compensations.
    Draw best for both dropping 2 points.
    Both still have unbeaten records, so a win either way would at least knock one of them off.

let’s not exaggerate – the whole population of Burnley wouldn’t fill up the Emirates, surely we can beat them??

4:0 or Wenger out.

I am undecided. A Spud win gives them confidence and they are very likely to screw up later in the season.

But any Spurs loss is a cause for celebration

Two up, Pep’ll have a fit at half time

Can’t see MC coming back from 2 down. Can you?

Spuds winning is never good.
    Pep losing is good.

My money is on 2-3.

Spuds really lucky to face City without De Bruyne.

Probably because of those glasses, I’d imagine.

TEAM NEWS: Cech starts

Petr Cech returns to the starting line up for today’s Premier League meeting with Burnley at Turf Moor.

There are no other changes to the side that won 2-0 against Basel in midweek, with Theo Walcott and Alex Iwobi starting on the flanks.

Alexis leads the Arsenal attack with Mesut Ozil behind him, while Granit Xhaka and Santi Cazorla once again partner each other in midfield.

There’s a place for Jeff Reine-Adelaide on the bench, with Gabriel also among the substitutes.

Arsenal team: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny Monreal, Cazorla, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Iwobi, Alexis

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Gabriel, Holding, Gibbs, Elneny, Reine-Adelaide, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Copyright 2016 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

You chaps called it, though I did write “I would prefer AW to continue with the starting 11 which marmelised the Chavs and Basel”

Happy with the team

44. Aaron says:

Hmmm, was just saying about Kompany being their achilles heel, well now add De Bruyne.
    They are going to ship a lot this year. Oh the joy, and when totts stop scoring, and they will, they will drop even more points.
    Things are looking up and look forward to an all out victory!

Another good pre-match, Raddy.

Agree with your sentiments — but I disagree with the spelling of Basel.

Actually both Basle and Basel are correct, but Basel is the Germanic form of the spelling and pronunciation. Booo.

They say it as: ‘BARzul. emphasis on BAR.

The other is the English version, pronounced Barl – and yet the English are adopting the Germanic version – that cannot be right – so stop it Daddy!! 😀

Well there is a dispensation for you with your continental leanings!

[Could have gone to the game today as it is on the doorstep – but I have an early blasted cold, and don’t want to ruin the game for others with my runny nose and ‘orrible cough!] 😦

Excellent team

I reckon AW’s plan is this: try and win the game early, then incur some convenient injuries to key players rendering them inactive for service over the coming two weeks, then after the final whistle, all jet off on a piss up

I think good news City losing

Come on you Gunnnners

We are having trouble breaking down their defence. Need a lucky bounce or a bit of magic.

With all the probing balls, one will find a man through on goal soon enough. Then a case of taking the chance

It’s all gone a bit tippy tappy around their 12 yard line, why don’t we have a shot?

I think we have yet to have a single shot on target in 40 mins

Does Cech have a peaked helmet for the 2nd half?

If I am honest it’s been a bit dull. Hoping for better in the second half

Nothing to worry about though, Erik

I’ll go for a 2-0 win

Elneny for Xhaka? I thought Xhaka was having a very good game. Still AKB

Agree with Ox for Iwobi. Need a bit more pace

as a cucumber
    relax erik

Might go watch the golf.
    They have to tire soon, surely?.

Maybe if I turn it off, we’ll score.

Why aren’t we working harder and pressing them? So many passes off target in the final third

I meant 1-0 🙂

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LOVE IT
    LOVE IT
    LOVE IT

62. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. good vibes. 🙂

we deserved it!!!!

fecking hell, that was hard earned corn

No goals galore as chas predicted or a convincing win according to me, but hey, we won 🙂

How could I have doubted?

Haha, beautiful

66. Aaron says:

BAM!

I don’t think it was a handball even if Ox’s shot was going wide. Handball has to be deliberate and Kos has completely unaware

Hmmm, not sure the Ox’s shot was going under the bar.
    In which case it’s on OG off Koscielny.
    😆

69. I like it better when we play the pressing snappy passing kind of game but hahaha nevertheless

Definitely not handball, BR.
    I was wondering who to give the assist to, that was all.

And, of course, absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with luck. 🙂

Sorry about the caps on
    Just love last gasp winners

Who really cares about anything. We’ve played some truly outstanding football with bags of goals. Today was utter rubbish against a team I hope gets relegated

They got what they deserved

hehehehe

Having seen the replay, I was talking rubbish. Ox did not touch the ball and perhaps we were fortunate 😀

Maybe a purist’s view on why a fast, mobile attack couldn’t topple the bus, might be interesting as a match report?

Doesn’t the assist go to Theo?

But it did, Chas 🙂

Aye, that it did, lad.

Who scored?
    Did The Ox just kick Koscielny’s boot?
    If so, the Theo assist, as you say.

Someone asked how the Black Scarf chap was coping with our current run.

Here you go.
    Not a happy bunny at all. 😆

Right, off now.
    Soz, for monopolising things.

The most beautiful goal we’ve scored this season 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Haha, GN5.

Last one from me, I promise.

One more…..

AW congratulating his lad after playing for the first eleven at school.

Chas, I re-played that moment several times, he even rubbed his hair..

ha ha ha superb

Love the field in which he grows stuff 🙂

There’s such a gulf between winning 1-0 in a crap game when you score in the 92nd as opposed to earlier on

It’s so much more than simple phewey

I’m going to call that goal our own special BBB –

“Bus Buster Bomb”.

Superb performance, 12s all round for the match report 🙂 it looks like the international break has come at a good time for us. I think that was the sort of game where Giroud could have been very useful, it would be good to have him and Lucas fit again.

Just been watching the goal on Chas’ 6:29 link
    Great to see the guys from the bench over celebrating as well

“Superb performance, 12s all round”

Now, Rasp, I’m as happy as the next Gunner, but I strongly suspect you’ve been drinking 🙂

Not that I mind about your habits or the performance 🙂

We played well. Burnley defended with energy and commitment.

3 points.

We move on.

“Burnley defended with energy and commitment”

ha ha ha, you can say that again as let’s face it, it’s not as though they tried that other thing, like attacking 🙂

Micky. We had almost 70% possession, how were they meant to attack without the ball?

I just had a peep at the Black Scarf losers, blimey they were really unhappy that we won 🙂

No good deed goes unpunished. Any team that allows us to play beautiful football will be taken apart. Simple. Burnley did all they could to unnerve us and just as I said ( 🙂 ) this morning we will have to be patient and intelligent. Job well done.

Dinner Guest.

A man brings his best buddy home to diner after work … unannounced at 7:30pm.

His wife begins screaming at him and his friend just sits and listens.

Wife:
    My hair and makeup are not done, the house is a mess, the dishes are not done, I’m still in my pyjamas and I can’t be bothered cooking tonight!!

Why the hell did you bring him home?

Husband:
    Because he’s thinking about getting married and I thought I’d give him a quick demo.

Mmmm, fair point Erik 🙂

Well……and they were a bunch of clip-clopping cart horses 🙂

HA HA HA HA 🙂 🙂
    I tweeted on the Black Scarf website and that’s the result:

“You are blocked from following @BlackScarfAFC and viewing @BlackScarfAFC’s Tweets.”

Can someone get that quote about 70min substitution, our genius manager and NASA ? Classic

GN5
    Given there are ladies present, I’ll swerve laughing at that one just now 🙂

micky – you can laugh all you want, ladies present know better than to get married 🙂 we are all single 🙂

101. Aaron says:

BigR- They did not have possession because they kept lumping it forward all day long. How is your team supposed to retain the ball when all you do is go long from everywhere?
    They got what they deserved, did not even try to attack and were lucky to string together 5 passes.
    Onward and upward!

You’ve just found a new hobby haven’t you Eddie?

103. Excellent performance

To slow us down, Burnley deliberately sprayed the pitch with adhesive. For a club with the fantastic legacy of Stanley Mathews not playing for them, it’s a disgrace.

As for Sean Dyche? Pretending your bald to conceal your gingerness is an insult to the folicley challenged.

The only disappointment of the day was Totnumb winning. The amount of running they do convinces me they are on illegal narcotics. Probably nicked Burnleys Glue.

We always finish one place above them so I guess if they come second it won’t be such a bad thing. But I would probably enjoy it more if we finish fourth from bottom.

“For a club with the fantastic legacy of Stanley Mathews not playing for them” 🙂 🙂 🙂

peaches – we need to get that quote quickly!! Those losers are laughing at AW’s sub who scores in the end 🙂 We need to retweet it all over the place. Black Scarf tools.

what new hobby darling? upsetting people was always my fav occupation 🙂

I just think that with you discovering the Black Scarfers, and with the impending international break, you could use your time wisely 🙂

no, first time there and I am already banned 🙂

Cmon ref, you’re going to shaft me anyway, so here you go.

Chas
    When I saw that during the game, I had a sneaky suspicion I’d be seeing a clip sooner rather than later 🙂

Ok, desalination time
    ’till dawn

Micky, maybe 13s then?

Winning a game like that in the last seconds with a dubious goal that will have all the unwashed of north London seething is pure poetry 🙂

Eddie
    What’s your twitter name?

thanks chas, that is just classic
    I hope they are eating their black scarves now 🙂

Wenger knows better than boffins at NASA

iwona something or other
    I am sure they removed my comment now

Shkodran 🙂 🙂 very funny indeed

Eddie Sumfinoruva ‏@EddieN14 1h
    @BlackScarfAFC ha ha ha you loser!! lovely well deserved 3 points in the bag 🙂

OK folks, nice and early today, post in drafts, it is going to need some pics and someone to publish in the morning as I am off first thing for some R&R on my bike in Spain.

What an unusual coincidence that the trip worked out when there were no home games…………

“For a club with the fantastic legacy of Stanley Mathews not playing for them, it’s a disgrace.”

This deserves all the recognition that it can get. Genius.

121. Ant says:

Geography lesson of the day…..Burnley is near the Sottish border!

166 miles near

122. fatgingergooner says:

What a great performance. Choosing to score with only seconds left is the perfect game plan and it was executed brilliantly. Thought the handball was a risky play but we got away with it so I’m happy.

Joking aside I thought Burnley defended very well and could have nicked one at the other end. Its such a shame that a defensive gameplan seems so much easier to execute than an attacking one!

Even though it wasn’t pretty today I always felt we looked threatening and we didn’t panic like we have in the past. We kept our width and we’re moving the ball around even with only a few minutes to go. Had Giroud been on the pitch I think we could’ve scored much earlier as we had quite a few promising crossing positions. He’s not played much this year but I still think he could be important as the season progresses.

R&R
    On a bike
    I don’t think so

Have a good time LB 🙂

chas – see, my tweet wasn’t that bad 🙂 why have they banned me

ant – 166miles?? no way! I looked it up on a map and it is right up north. I don’t believe you, will check later

I think the Scottish border being ‘just above Liverpool’ was the giveaway.

ant – 143 miles, can do it in an hour 🙂

look Messrs Vines, until yesterday I didn’t even know there was a place called Burnley. I am a fast learner 🙂

There’s a place called Arsenal as well.

It’s in my heart. 🙂

What motor did you buy, Eddie?

sporty little Audi, nippy little thing, I love it

distance from Cuffley to Arsenal – 122 miles. Or 14miles on home match days.

Ah, but Scottish Borders isn’t at the Scottish border.

Top speed 143mph?

Gretna Green is.
    That’s where Eddie is taking BR.

….for a quick one.

137. Ant says:

There are some nice pubs in Burnley!

I don’t drink.
    I don’t do quick ones.
    I don’t like you today, meanies

139. Ant says:

And B&Bs in Gretna Green

The post is ready to roll.
    Shall I put it up?

The quick one was quick marriage ceremony.
    Not sure what you were thinking about.

NEW POST

How parenthood changes things.

Match day ✅
    Train to London ✅

That’s about all that exists in terms of Arsenal supporting activity.

The Penguins took an early lead but they’re literally first up out of the gates, then the Lions equalised, Pigmy Hippo put in a surprising performance for the underdog and the Okapi tried hard to impress with his versatility, but the man of the match was probably the Gorilla although he was probably closely followed by the Tiger.

Was shocked by looking at phone and seeing City – Spuds score, was even more shocked that we had not managed to score by 50 minutes and further disheartened when I looked again at 86 minutes, then just as arriving for dinner in Camden see a late winner…..perfect. Even more perfect was the way it went in. What is it they say, got to have a bit of luck, got to win when not playing well.

Lots of praise for Spud pressing this morning, watching highlights it seemed City evaded press in midfield quite well but without de Britney didn’t have a pacy outlet to release on both flanks so Spuds could martial defence easier.

We are going to face a few teams who try to press we need Theo and Alexis wide on these occasions.

Also we have two goals in goal of the month contention, Xhaka’s thunderbastard and Theo’s team goal v Chavs.