Wenger In or Wenger Out?

I am asking you to vote – do you want Wenger to sign a new contract or do you want him to go and inevitably become the next English manager?

This month we are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Arsene Wenger’s managerial career at the Arsenal. Quite frankly, in this day and age, that is an unbelievable achievement in itself. Many managers have been given their P45 days after they have started their job. Chelsea have had 8 (Mouinho counts as 2) managers in the past 20 years! Man United had 4 since Fergie left. Congratulations Mr Wenger.

arsene-wenger-20-years

With the departure of Sam Allardyce, the search for the new English manager is on. This time the FA are not making a secret of the fact that Arsene Wenger was before Sam and still is their first choice.  ‘Arsene Wenger would “fit the criteria perfectly” of the next England manager, according to Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn’.  Terrific news for Wenger; true recognition of him at the top of professionals in the footballing world.

Now. We have suffered the usual roller coaster start to the season. We have seen the worst and the best from our team. This is seriously messing up my head – a month ago I wanted Wenger out and made my views known. Today I cannot bear the fact that he could leave – what will we do then? We were nice and safe in his hands. The next manager could bring havoc to our stately home at the Emirates.

How do you feel on the subject? Let me know………….

Written by Eddie

61 Responses to Wenger In or Wenger Out?

1. At this moment in time one would want Wenger to remain, The other proven managers are pretty well accounted for. AW seems to have indicated that he will wait till the end of the season before making a decision. Realistically that should sit well with Arsenal fans, although I guess some might be a little panicky at the thought of this, including myself !

Eddie. Thank you.

I voted for him to leave.

Despite being a massive Wenger-ite I think another few years in the job could kill him. Few managers put so much into their club, even fewer so much emotion and it must take a toll.

Furthermore, I do believe we need a fresh approach. Klopp or Guardiola would have jumped at the chance to manage AFC and could have taken us to the very top in Europe, a position that seemingly eludes our great manager.

A cushy job as England manager has to be the way forward for Mr Wenger before becoming an AFC ambassador and board director.

Yes he should’ve offered a new contract, whether he takes it or not is up to him. After 20 years service the man should be allowed to pick up his pipe and slippers when he chooses. If he chooses England job as semi retirement I fear for him. The media will be waiting for total football and ready to pounce on defensive instability. Fact is we don’t have the players for either as English national side.

not sure English job is a c cushty number, I think GiE is right – a poisoned chalice more like it. Wenger is known for his calm, philosophical ‘fatherly’ approach to players and his intolerance of any nuisance; Szczesny and Pennant are prime examples. How would he deal with the yobs and prima donnas on the pitch?

5. Thanks for the post Eddie, this is really hard …………

With my heart on my sleeve I love Arsene Wenger, I love the joy his management has given me, I love the style of football that he wants his teams to (always) play …………. but there have been times recently when I’ve felt that maybe the time had come for him to pass on the reins to a younger man. He has looked worn out and I’ve felt very sorry for him. But ……………..

We now have a super dooper recharged team and it would give me the greatest pleasure for him to lead this team to something special. Will one year be enough to make all those cogs work in alignment? What if we just miss out on winning a trophy this season but we can all see that there is a great future ahead.

I’m going to say YES and keep my fingers crossed 🙂

6. Also I cannot see how the England job could possibly give him any joy whatsoever.

peaches – I voted yes too. I don’t feel sorry for Wenger – he loves his job, where would he be without it? Has he got any hobbies other than occasional sex romp?

He is a proud man, he would hate anybody feeling sorry for him. I think that he will take the English job and leave Arsenal in safe hands. He probably has someone in mind already. He will definitely be involved with the Club in some capacity for the rest of his life, but my guess is we are having the last season with him

I only noticed Koscielny’s pocket hit map 🙂 Costa must be very uncomfortable in there

Oooh, I had to think about that one 😉

Thanks for that Eddie.

Brief visit Eddie, but thanks very much.

Some live in the past, and judge Arsene by his first 10 yrs

Some live in the past, and judge Arsene by the last 10 yrs 🙂

I judge him now, and as long as we continue to play the way we are, he can stay for as long as the good times roll.

As for England, no way should he take it. It always ends badly.

Thanks Eddie, I’m glad you asked that question now rather than when we were going through a bad patch 🙂

I agree with peaches and Micky. I don’t suppose it matters whether he has had a change of emphasis this season, or whether the other constraints over the last decade have forced him to hold back …. but I’m loving the way we’re playing at the moment. He has bought very wisely and the players have slotted in seamlessly (give Lucas a couple more games maybe)

12. Hey, someone made you a banner!!!! Must be the bannerman 🙂

Brilliant banner. Must be one of Rasp’s

ha ha ha 🙂 brilliant, thank you
    me and me pug

poo, I hope you don’t expect me to write any posts 🙂 I am that grateful

15. This one isn’t in the book ………..

i recognised DB10, Pires and Cygan

I believe AW would do very well as England manager. There are some excellent young players coming through and that is his speciality – the Spurs quintet, Stones, Sterling, Rashford, Shaw etc etc

18. If you haven’t read arseblog today here’s the link

Some great stuff in there ……..wipes a tear

Thanks Eddie. I voted undecided. It will firstly depend on who is available to replace him. Most of the top contenders seem tied up elsewhere at present.

More importantly, for me, it will be how he approaches this season in terms of selection and tactics ultimately dictating performances and results.

I felt last season was one of serious underachievement and didn’t feel he quite had it anymore. Thus far this season he has shown a willingness to change the same old same old and try a different approach. It could bear dividends and if it does and he continues with it he may still be our man for another 2-3 years.

I kind of agree with Raddy’s earlier comment about needing a fresh approach but will wait and see if AW himself is now doing this.

Sorry GIE I can’t agree with him being exclusively in charge of his own departure just because he has been great for us. No individual comes before the club itself no matter what they have done in the past. No business anywhere can afford that amount of sentimentality before pragmatism where a critical role in the institution is concerned.

GB – what are you saying? That if Wenger doesn’t deliver for a season or two, he could get the sack? No way, the board and some more loyal fans stuck with him through some really bad times. He would never be fired while managing the AFC

Peaches – that’s a lovely tribute to AW on arseblog, do you know who wrote it?

21. I can’t remember who Mr Arseblog is, I think he’s an Irish guy ……. Tim Stillman sometimes writes for arseblog but I think this was his own tribute.

Arsene (Sgt.) Wenger.

It was twenty years ago today.
    Arsene Wenger taught the team to play.
    We’d been playing in a boring style.
    Now we’re guaranteed to raise a smile.
    So may I introduce to you?
    What we’ve been missing for a while.
    It’s Arsene Wenger’s flowing football style.
    We’re Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal Football Club.
    We hope you will enjoy the game?
    We’re Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal Football Club
    Sit back and enjoy the game.
    Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal, Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal.
    We’re Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal football club.
    It’s wonderful to be here
    It’s certainly a thrill
    You’re such lovely supporters
    We’d like to take you home with us
    We’d love…

GunnerN5

Cheers, Eddie.

I really don’t want AW to become England manager. I hope he goes back to Strasbourg and is finally allowed some peace from the baying English media.

As for signing a new contract with us, I really can’t decide, surprisingly enough. 🙂

Only one guess as to how I voted.

Magnificent banner!!!!!!!

27. chas – can you see if you can find the Arsene interview with Gallas, Wrighty and Sol Campbell, it’s on bbc but I can’t find it to put it on the blog.

28. Great song GN5 🙂

Never heard of it, P.

Who is interviewing? Why is Gallas anywhere near it?

a professional author then, I thought as much

Why are you undecided?? you of all people, I am shocked

Eddie, at the end of this season it isn’t a case of sacking or not. More whether a new contract is offered and whether it is taken up. I don’t actually see the board sacking him.

What should dictate whether he is offered a new contract? It should be whether he can shape this squad into something that can seriously challenge for the EPL. For that we need to get back to the 80+ points bracket that has eluded him for some time now. He has assembled a very strong squad. Now has he still got the mojo to mould it and make it work at the highest level?

That is just my opinion and I am aware that the board will likely view it differently.

The reality of the question “Wenger in or Wenger out?” is simple – only one person will make the decision – Arsene Wenger.

Eddie
    I didn’t say ‘undecided’.
    I said ‘can’t decide’. 🙂

same thing.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that he will not sign a new contract. He is a legend already. If he stays for another term and things don’t go well, he will be subjected to more abuse from the media and some fans ( 😦 ).

I wonder if the Black Scarf brigade are eating their scarves now or are they waiting till the end of season. Have they got a blog we could peep in?

England manager latest: National team needs English boss – Alan Shearer.
    yeah, one like you, you orange so and so.

Results didn’t go our way today. Need win tomorrow.

Good Afternoon, All,

I think the first comment I came to that reflected my own view very well was Peaches’s.

I have been leaning towards Arsene leaving for at least the last two seasons, but not for any acrimonious feelings towards him, but the hate shown to him was becoming tangible, and I did not think he deserved to be the victim of vile abuse, and worse, and I like Peaches worried about the effect on his health.

But the recent games have been so redolent of the pacy, slick wonderfully confident football last seen in the Invincibles era that I am more than happy for hi to stay. And like GN5 said, whether this turns out to be a wonderful season or not, I am sure that the only person who has to make the ‘go/no go decision is AW himself.

He owes us nothing and who can doubt that the arrival of Wenger into the Premiership changed the whole outlook and professionalism of the Premier League, and many rival managers have graciously admitted that.

The contemporaneous arrival of the oligarchical owners carrying obscene sums of money to spend on their hobby horse clubs, and also the disgraceful decision of the Spanish Leagues to allow Real and Barca to make individual deals with the TV companies to assuage their national interest and to make the CL even more difficult to crack, and keeping UEFA onside by leaving the dregs of theirTV deals to the other clubs in their League.

A by-blow of the oligarchs arrival made money fuelled reputations, in the Premiership, for the likes of both Ferguson and Maureen, and that together with the key decision of the then owner Danny Fitzman to build a wonderful, new and exorbitantly expensive stadium put the brakes on Arsenal’s continued trophy progression.

Maybe it was just tough luck that the conjunction of the above, the oligarchs, the renaissance of Real and Barca, and the go ahead for the new stadium managed to throw our hopes and ambitions to win trophies consistently into the bin, and that might be true, but forget luck, the world of football is a harshly mechanistic and deterministic place (as Rasp will tell you) and it has a penchant to be unpleasantly perverse on occasions when the good guys need metaphysical help, and so perversity did happen, costing the club, the manager and we fans a lot of grief and condemned us to years deflated expectations.

Wenger’s fault? Absolute tosh – at worst it was random chance that events conspired the way they did to make trophies post 2005 so hard to come by in the era of big egos and bigger bank balances.

This great club has offered up some of the best football that has ever been played in the Premier League in the Invincibles era, at the start of the 21st Century, and more topically the sublimely entertaining football that we have been privileged to watch in the last two games, courtesy of our new team, has not been matched by any other Premiership club in recent memory.

I know, I know – you want me to shut up and sod off — your wish is my command. 😀

terrific comment, thanks RA

more than 130 people voted and an overwhelming majority wants AW to stay. Understandably

What would the result have been straight after the Liverpool game?

41. Eddie, how can I let a man I love leave?

You know some say if it’s not working out and you really love them, then let them go? Well, that’s bollox.

Before I met my second wife I dated a beautiful girl called Angie. To this day I still have romantic thoughts about her, like she is washing my clothes and making me fattening meals. Sometime these thoughts become really erotic, like washing up and efficient cleaning.

Her father was against our love He held it against me that at the time I was unemployed and that his daughter was subsidising my expensive hobby of traveling the country to watch Paul Daniels live magic show.

For academic reasons, I was also addicted to strip clubs.

Anyway, one day we had just come back from a lovely romantic day out. She had driven us to chessington wild life park were I had got pissed up ended up been attacked by a monkey, when she dropped the bombshell, she no longer wanted to see me.

It was obvious her father had got to her, and was trying to ruin our love. I confronted him, and In a bid to win her admiration, beat him up. I used the same technique the monkey had used on me, so he was left trouser less with a banana peel in his under pants.

After my arrest I would write to her from cell, telling her that we would never be parted, and how I ached to come out so she could iron my shirts and wash my toupee, but she never responded. Her father must have got to her again.

On the day I was released I was served with an injunction that if I went within 10 miles of her or within a five mile radius of a monkey sanctuary, I would be rearrested.

I am biding my time, but love will prevail. Arsene leave? Never.

Part of that NBCSN interview.
    Sound only.

Terry you nut-nut, I wish I knew when you are just kidding 🙂

44. Oh gosh amazing interviews!!!! We’ll still play football in the future without him but we will be without him…….not yet though.

Terry. Genius 😀

What a man, thank you so much Chas & Eddie for posting the interviews an amazing incite into the mind of a wonderful man and manager. I hope upon hope that we win another PL title before he decides to retire as it will be a just and fitting finale to his football life at Arsenal.

Although I cannot imagine and Arsene-less Arsenal and I don’t really want to think about that occurring.

By the way I hope one of you fine writers will take the time to pen a few lines of tribute to him – I would do it myself but I’ve written so many about him that I will just be repeating the same feeling and accolades.

But if none of you step up them I will dig up some of my oldies and bore you all over again by trying to re-work them…

48. Top man GN5.

I feel the same way about Arsene, love the man. Perhaps you, I, and LB should get together and have a love in? ha ha.

My most disappointing moment as an Arsenal fan was when George Graham got the sack. Not because he was a great manager, he bought Glen Helder, but for the reasons of his sacking. I am not ashamed to admit, I cried that day.

The most important thing about Arsenal to me is that it stands for class, integrity, and good values. That’s why i feel the way I do about Arsene.

Hi Terry loved your story at 6:56, it’s just amazing how you conjure up your stories – but however you do it – just keep them coming.

Unfortunately far to many Arsenal fans believe that a football manager should have a big gut, swig back pints and yell at his players from the sidelines.

Fortunately Arsene has had the capacity to keep the baying hordes at bay and is able to articulate his thoughts and feelings without using foul language and 10 word paragraphs.

I really hope that somebody besides myself can be respectful enough to step up and write a tribute about him and his incredible journey at Arsenal over the past 20 years.

It’s always great to hear from you.

GN5
    You really are the man for the job.
    Unless you can persuade young Terrence to write one, of course. 🙂

Match day. Ryder Cup. Malaysian GP, big game at WHL.

A fine day of sport.

Thanks Rasp for the superb banner

54. JM says:

Keep the media guessing while his team goes about its business in winning matches.

Chas 7:24 🙂

Didn’t see that coming. Expected the usual dick on a bike or skateboard. Superb

NEW POST

57. Coach Micheal says:

Wenger already noted that since moving to the emirates stadium, there had been cutting of spending and prices. During these period, all the best stars were sold to the rival clubs. It took the club 10years to cut off their budgets and pay the debt of the new magnificent stadium. Just now when Arsenal are getting financially stable, we started wanting to crucify the good guy. He had done what Alex Ferguson couldn’t do in his whole coaching career in terms of managing a Football club.
    In 2014, the debts were relieved and paid for. He started getting his heart desires felt by getting in the kind of players that suits his system and style of play.
    Now everyone are praising him. I tell you that this team is much better than any of the EPL team at the moment. If Arsenal continues with this form with which they are currently, the title is sure. And I bet you that Man. City will be ripped, United will go down, tots will never stand a chance. He knows what he wants, and that he is doing now that AFC is financially stable to buy and compete. Chelsea, Man city, United all dropped their managers after few faulters.
    Why not stick with to the OLD WINE, I bet you will be all smiles.