Burnley 0 Arsenal 1……………The Hand of Kos

Last gasp action at Turf Moor gives Arsenal three important points and moves us up to third in the table. That is the fifth premiership game in a row that we have won albeit against small clubs but it was important to go into the international break on a high and in the right frame of mind to confidently face the bigger clubs when they arrive in the not too distant future.

Burnley was the first team we have faced this season who unashamedly parked the bus with the obvious intention of trying to get a point from the game or maybe all three if they had been lucky on the break. All this goes out the window, of course, if we score early which with the amount of possession we had looked as though it would be “when” rather than “if”. But that large “if” that was shining brightly in our eyes at the beginning started to get smaller and smaller as the game went on.

mustafi2

Even though, talent wise, Arsenal were head and shoulders better that than Burnley, frustration started to creep in as the breakthrough goal started looking more and more elusive. The result was that Arsenal’s crisp passing of recent games became hurried, quick decision making became ponderous. The two guiltiest were Ozil and Sanchez who by their own high standards were poor in my opinion. Ozil was shooting from awkward angles and from distance which is bizarre to even think about and Sanchez started to give possession away far too cheaply.

In an attempt to improve things Ozil moved out right and Sanchez, wanting to get more of the ball, seemed to move back to the half way line leaving no target man at all. Someone in the box was needed and the call for the number nine that we all envisage Perez to be went from a polite request to a screaming demand. I use the word envisage because in truth none of us know what to actually expect but someone needs to be there; someone needs to be the target for Ozil and Sanchez when the Chilean goes walk about. The reason I say Perez and not Giroud is because Burnley looked as though they could deal with anything that was sent in high which is usually the case with these kind of park the bus teams: Sunderland etc you know the drill but the thing they can’t deal with is quick feet. It’s going to happen, Perez will play an important role this season but it might take a tad longer than we all would have liked.

With a lack of a striker on the bench Wenger sent on Elneny and Oxlade-Chamberlain who both improved our collective push but still things were looking worrying especially as, in the smaller game earlier, spuds had put City to the sword.

All this changed, of course, when deep into added on time and two crucial points seemed to be lost, Sanchez accurately sent over a cross for Theo to flick on to the incoming Oxlade-Chamberlain at the far post; who, with Koscielny managed to bundle the ball over the line with what turned out to be last kick of the game sending the travelling support and others at home into wild celebration. This can be over analysed as to whether we deserved it or not, but really, who gives a monkey’s, we won and that is all that matters.

monreal

Back to the other smaller game, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that as things turned out the spud win was a useful result for us. Perfect Pep needed to have some of that wind taken out of his sails, this leaves just spuds as the only unbeaten team in the league and continuing the metaphors I think we all know who has a sharp pin just ready and waiting to burst that little blue and white bubble.

COYRG

LB

122 Responses to Burnley 0 Arsenal 1……………The Hand of Kos

Excellent, LB – some sweet post nectar right there.

Last minute winners – don’t you just love ’em.

On MOTD, the commentator said of a Burnley hand ball in the area, ‘well, you can’t give that as it came at him so fast’, yet the analysis after the game thought the ball hitting Kos’ arm didn’t fall into the same category.

Then again, as you say, who gives a monkey’s chuff. 😆

LB

Very good of you to write on the eve of your two week voyage of self-flagellation in Spain

And of course you are right about who is going to burst that bubble down the road 🙂

🙂 🙂 that’s a great post, much better than the game
    I was falling asleep and at 90th minute got up to walk the dogs. I didn’t think the goal stood, the players were not sure, Wenger waited before he showed any sign of joy. But hey, it was in, we won, happy dayz.

I am glad you mentioned the fact that we are still struggling against park buses. I don’t know what is the answer, but there must be one. There are teams that can deal with double deckers, so why cannot we?

From Gooner in Exile

“How parenthood changes things.

Match day ✅
    Train to London ✅

That’s about all that exists in terms of Arsenal supporting activity.

The Penguins took an early lead but they’re literally first up out of the gates, then the Lions equalised, Pigmy Hippo put in a surprising performance for the underdog and the Okapi tried hard to impress with his versatility, but the man of the match was probably the Gorilla although he was probably closely followed by the Tiger.

Was shocked by looking at phone and seeing City – Spuds score, was even more shocked that we had not managed to score by 50 minutes and further disheartened when I looked again at 86 minutes, then just as arriving for dinner in Camden see a late winner…..perfect. Even more perfect was the way it went in. What is it they say, got to have a bit of luck, got to win when not playing well.

Lots of praise for Spud pressing this morning, watching highlights it seemed City evaded press in midfield quite well but without de Britney didn’t have a pacy outlet to release on both flanks so Spuds could martial defence easier.

We are going to face a few teams who try to press we need Theo and Alexis wide on these occasions.

Also we have two goals in goal of the month contention, Xhaka’s thunderbastard and Theo’s team goal v Chavs.”

Hand of Kos……..I like it.

Slim’s comment this morning was funny.

FGG’s comment:

“What a great performance. Choosing to score with only seconds left is the perfect game plan and it was executed brilliantly. Thought the handball was a risky play but we got away with it so I’m happy.

Joking aside I thought Burnley defended very well and could have nicked one at the other end. Its such a shame that a defensive gameplan seems so much easier to execute than an attacking one!

Even though it wasn’t pretty today I always felt we looked threatening and we didn’t panic like we have in the past. We kept our width and we’re moving the ball around even with only a few minutes to go. Had Giroud been on the pitch I think we could’ve scored much earlier as we had quite a few promising crossing positions. He’s not played much this year but I still think he could be important as the season progresses.”

Superb Tour de LB, thank you.

The 3 points is all that matters, but there’s no harm in looking at why we made hard work of it.

You’ve offered a good explanation for what I couldn’t fathom yesterday – why our passing was so poor and once again, and why we reverted to being slow to get the ball forward.

We definitely lacked the FITB when Sanchez dropped deep but also we didn’t use the width of the pitch. Too many of our attacks were channelled through a very congested middle and I can’t remember us getting behind their fullbacks that often.

One good point is that we again saw the ‘new Theo’ he tracked back and won the ball back several times – probably more than I’ve seen in the previous 9 years of his Arsenal career. He’s discovered that he can do it and looks a far stronger and more determined player.

Lovely read as always. Enjoyed the “smaller game” 😀

We are well used to teams PTB and know there are few solutions. One of them is to try and shoot at goal, there is always the chance of a deflection of a GK mistake.

Yesterday was frustrating insomuch as we did not have a single attempt on target until the second half resulting in Mrs Raddy asking BR to stop shouting “shoot” at the television.

LB. Wishing you an exhausting and safe holiday.

One last point, I’m really liking the Muscielny combo, but we do lack height in the side when defending corners and set pieces. Burnley had a couple of free headers which on another day may have hit the back of the net. I’m not sure what we can do about this, we have a great squad – just not the tallest. Giroud wins a lot of headers defending corners but that alone cannot be a good enough reason to displace Sanchez (or maybe even Perez in the future).

We may see how well we deal with the aerial threat if Carroll is back when we face Wham in December. Other managers may see dealing with high balls into the box as our Achilles heel.

Interestingly (according to TalkSport) the 3 shortest teams are City, Bournemouth and Arsenal – all of which play with the ball on the ground and are doing pretty well … and the 3 tallest teams are W. Brom, Palace and Middlesborough.

So mobility is preferable over height if there has to be a choice??

Rasp
    Height issue? Platforms for Kos and Mus. Simple and effective.

One question from yesterday’s game is the obvious one. I could practically hear the shouts for a Big ‘Un off the bench.

So question is, if we had had Lucas and Ollie on the bench, who would you have called for.

I can think of just three regulars who would have called for Lucas.

🙂 Micky. I was one who would have plumped for Giroud just to give us something different. We don’t know how good Lucas can be, but in general I’d prefer his style of striker, but I do believe Giroud can be an effective weapon (tool? 🙂 ) off the bench.

Lucas. Burnley are well used to playing OG type forwards.

Nice write up LB,

I’m not of the opinion that we made hard work of it as I think that Burnley played a superb game of defence and they were really unlucky to lose all 3 points. (but who gives a flying f…..)

What is really pleasing to me is our own defensive prowess we have only given up 3 goals in our last 6 games .5 goals against per game is as good as it gets – without it being boring GG type football.

So even without Giroud’s height at corners we still have better defensive stats than 2015/16.

I believe that we are now past the Giroud type of striker and need to get Perez up to speed as our back up – what type of injury does he have?

Haha, the chap on the back post was fooled by the short corner. 🙂

I particularly like the way Koscielny limps away after the goal pretending he’s injured as if it might take the refs attention rather than the hand of Kos 🙂

Chas
    It’s superb the way that if you look hard enough, you can find ROLF’s almost everywhere

Suddenly, the defender charging forwards is hysterical

What was the defender thinking:
    1. I’m going to look really keen and like I know what I’m doing, or
    2. This is going to end badly. I’m outa here.

The more I watch that defender running off the line, the less sense it makes. It’s not as if he’s taking up a position where he could snuff out any perceived threat and any way, there are 4 other defenders closer to that area than him …. I’m thinking far eastern betting syndicate??

I guess he’s trying to spring the offside trap once we take it short. Have a look at it again and see their No.2 doing his best to handball it on the way over … definitely crooked betting

… and the ref was bought too 🙂

Rasp
    With the cumulative lateral thinking on this blog, one short football clip from any stage in any game, and we could make theories all day long 🙂

Cripes Micky, you don’t think anyone has actually been reading my drivel … I thought I was talking to myself 😕

Any way, it must be fixed, when does Theo ever win a header in the box … oo errr missuss

No question it was fixed. The ref was bought, the players were bought, the linesmen (he was offside) are wearing new Rolex Submariners,

And then there is the Burnley BoD who now have handsome beach houses in Thailand.

And as Rasp says, Theo is allowed to win a header against a 2 metre tall Orc who is now the proud owner of a 42`yacht in Puerto Banus

As if …

What about this, clearly handball?
    Maybe the ref had a bet on us scoring in injury time.

Must go. Big game tonight
    Bideford have Taunton in the Cup. Well, a Cup, already out of the FA version. Must beat the dirty northern bastards from Somerset 🙂

How about this?

They kept saying that there was a suggestion of offside when Theo nodded on, but the geezer who’s gone to shut down the short corner is playing everyone in the area onside.

Clearly fixed.

Isn’t Taunton south of Bideford?

Dyche probably punched his lights out

Bideford play in red and white, Taunton in Burnley shirts. I know who I am supporting.

Dirty Northern Bastards

36. fred1266 says:

Supposing Kos wasn’t there, it seems Ox ball would be gone over

Fred
    The concensus seems to be that the Ox didn’t touch the ball but kicked Koscielny’s foot on to the ball instead.

Kos was aiming for the top corner but realising that the Ox kicking his foot would change the trajectory of the ball to go towards his face, he was forced to put his arms up to protect himself.

Verdict = completely accidental handball.

Well, that’s how I saw it. 😆

“That is the fifth premiership game in a row that we have won albeit against small clubs…..”

I’ve only got this far but its a masterpiece already 😀

Ddddd

dsfdfdsfadgfaerwt

^
    / \
    #
    #
    #
    Couldn’t post the match report from last night without shortening it.

Thank you GIE I thought that one was going to go unnoticed.

Chas

Saw your clip if Bideford last night

Bloody excellent game last night. Won 4-0 🙂

They has a really odd looking bloke on the wing with three inch long legs who was absolute dynamite. Blimey he was quick, and had a turning circle the size of a dust, and that, from top speed.

Judging from the 170 crowd, his name was something like Givethefuckingballtobilly

LB
    Peddling today? Mountainous?

Brilliant sleuthing Chas. Just read all your articles on Bideford.

In fairness to Taunton, they had a weakened side as they play an FA Cup game tonight. Two more rounds for them to get into the Cup proper, and chance of drawing a big boy away. That can amount to way more than a year’s revenue from one game

Micky 7.42 😀

three inch long 🙂

Micky
    Isn’t ‘peddling’ what you do?

Beware exceedingly bad language from Poolis.

ha ha ha that’s the fella.
    Look at his little legs. He went like a bloody train though
    Oh, pedal not peddle?

Taunton 51.0153° N
    Bideford 51.0167° N

Bloody close, but Bideford are the northern bastards by a fag paper, you’re right

raddy – on Saturday we have Poland v Denmark!! Watch out

We will thrash you (perhaps)

Are these games qualifiers for something, or friendlies?

Billy is a strange looking chap. This is what centuries of in-breeding in the South West can lead to.

thrash us?? we shall see. Do you want to write a pre match for just the 2 of us?

How about you do it, Eddie?
    I’d imagine you could come up with something inflammatory about bacon.
    Poor BR desevres a rest, too.

Erik

You say in-breeding leads to a Passthefuckingballtobilly type of footballer

Frankly, I find your attitude condescending. In fact, from what I saw, Passthefuckingballtobilly could be a step up the evolutionary ladder and absolutely the way to go

Eddie

Please do a brief PM. You do not need the names of footballers, just an overview in bullet points of the two nations, and why Poles are superior and will win

ok, I will give it a go:)

Three cheers for Eddie

Can’t wait. Will rush back 🙂

Micky. I hadn’t considered that. Think of the savings if the world was aimed at people with stunted legs …. lower tables/less wood, smaller buildings/less construction costs etc etc.

This could be the answer to global warming though it has to be said that the idea of procreating with my sister is less than attractive 😦

“lower tables”

ha ha ha ha

TMHT’s birthday. What joy

It’s the Little Mozart’s birthday as well

Thanks LB for yesterdays post. Late as usual to the discussion and I am aware that thoughts have turned to inbreeding and pitched battles between Denmark and Poland, however I will keep it footbally….sorry

Happy with the 3 points against the PTBT that was Burnley even if it was a bit fortunate and last minute. These games do happen to all the top sides but we just want to make it not happen too often and need to find a better way of overcoming these teams.

Normally if you break through the bus once or twice earlier then their game plan is out of the window. But how to do it, as we do seem to struggle somewhat with those teams, arguably more so than our main rivals.

Firstly I think we were just a bit off the pace of our normal fluid game anyway. Secondly I think this shows that Sanchez is still learning the mobile number 9 role and, although looking an excellent prospect for it, still has a bit of development in the role to go.

When things are not happening for the team he still has the instinct to come deeper and deeper thus leaving us with little presence in the box when we do create chances. A tad counterproductive and he will need to learn to hold his position more and be patient, and also have faith in his team-mates to start creating for him, or if not his manager to change it.

I also think we are still guilty of an old trait of not attacking the box more with enough players. That coupled with Sanchez dropping too much doesn’t help.

Wide channels need to be utilised better as a supply channel but I am not sure I agree with then needing a big un in there. Size is useful but I think it is more about technique and timing and also attacking the ball in numbers so defenders have more than one player to worry about.

There are lots of historic examples of good headers of the ball who aren’t giants, that just had good timing and technique. Sanchez actually has a good leap on him and has decent technique but he has to be in there in the first place and also he needs team-mates to distract defenders away from him by attacking behind and in front of him.

Throwing Perez on (if available) may have changed it. I actually even think that Giroud for the last 10 when chasing a game against a team that has decided to hold out could be useful as long as it is the right person being substituted off.

We just need to develop 1 or 2 different ways of breaking down teams like this. It would be awful if this turned out to be our main achilles heel this season.

70. RC78 says:

We got the three points, which is good given that we played away. It was a hard fought victory and a lucky one as well but we will take it.

I agree that the performance was not great- we conceded clear cut chances and we were less than exciting going forward. I also agree that we need some back up plans against well organized defensive blocks. Using Perez or Giroud give us that option with the quality they provide in the air and their link-up play.

We must win all our games until we play Man Utd, where we could afford a draw.

Against Swansea – we need to ship in a few goals so I would not be against playing with two strikers in 4-4-1-1 formation.

Cech – Bellerin, Mustafi, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, Xhaka, Cazorla, Oxlade – Sanchez, Walcott

I think that we can afford playing without Ozil and Iwobi during this game if we play Ramsey and Oxlade. Anyways – just a thought.

71. RC78 says:

It has to be said that Monreal is our weak link so far and that the partnership between Xhaka and Cazorla needs further finetuning.

I think it would be funnier if Gallagher had said the goal should be disallowed, then we can have more “same old Arsenal, always cheating” chants which are not heard often enough IMO.

73. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks LB for a fine post.

I agree with BR and others that Burnley defended really well and it was hard to break down the castle. I reckon there are two ways of doing this: you find the weakest point and then keep hammering all you have at it in order to break through, or, in case there is no weakest point, you use a variety of weapons to create chaos and fatigue and finally find a way through.

If we had had Ollie to occupy the CBs it would allow more space for others to benefit from this is. Giroud loves fighting it out with the CBs and he was badly missed on Sunday. I would also have liked Xhaka to shoot a few times from distance as to tease defenders a bit more out of the 18 yards box. So close passing and continues movement, combined with Xhaka bullets and Giroud’s aerial bombardments, and the fresh legs of Perez for a tired looking Iwobi, could have made a big difference.

But the boys kept looking for the weakest point and in the end they found it. Theo became Ollie for two seconds and won an unbelievable header, the Ox almost fecked it up but there was the Devine Koz to hook-or-crook it into the net with – yes hahaha – the hand of Koz.

RC78 – only you think Monreal is a weak link. I guess you just don’t like the guy?

TA, Ollie an option yes but for later in the game when we have struggled to break down and not from the start for me. I still think we need to refine the quicker front 4 system as a starting system and get them to work out how to break down teams like this rather than resort to the Ollie aerial bombardment from the off against teams like this.

Also Ollie would not come in as a replacement for Theo or Sanches but along side them so, as you say, he can occupy the CD’s but with Theo and Alexis playing as part of a front 3 with the deep bus parking defence allowing them all to play onside in the danger area. I would sacrifice Santi in this instance for 2 more ball winning players who can sit, hold, and protect from counter-attacks recycling the ball forward quickly.This, coupled with our quicker CB’s also allows the FB’s to push on into the wing positions to give us width.

With an attacking 3 in the box the FB’s playing as wingers and putting in dangerous balls and Ozil in the free role we should be able to consistently break these teams down in the last 10.

75. TotalArsenal says:

I would happily start with Iwobi – Giroud – Alexis against PTB teams, GB. We need the added threat in the air and Ollie’s flick ons from the start imo. It is all about adding extra dimensions to our attack in such games. Look at Barca this weekend who put Pique up front to break down the opponents – and he scored twice but it was still not enough.

I don’t think Theo is effective enough against proper PTBs and would prefer Iwobi in these situations. Agreed on use of FBs. I like the combo of Xhaka, Santi and Mesut when we play the PTB…. as good as it gets really.

GB. I agree and fear OG’s days are numbered.

A player we do not include in our discussion is Danny Welbeck who has both pace and power. If, and it is a huge if, we can keep him fit Welbz can be a major plus for Arsenal.

IMO we only signed Perez because Welbeck was injury-prone. Hopefully our medical staff will fix him in the manner they fixed Ramsey (?) or Theo

You are right Raddy about Welbeck if we can get and keep him fit he is a huge plus in all senses. Although I am not always keen on too many players who can play many positions, as I think it lends itself to jack of all trades master of none, Welbeck really is very good in all of them, wide right, wide left, and through the middle.

TA whenever you and I chew the fat on Ollie I always ask myself “Is TA correct?” and do you know what the answer always is? 🙂

Seriously though I always give consideration to your viewsand am not as blinkered as I may come across, but I do think back and recall many times when we have not broken down PTBT’s even when Ollie has started and played the full game. That is why I feel this prowess of him being a great holdy uppy player and flick on player that brings others into the game to work off him is somewhat overplayed.

Sure there are times the flicks come off and he holds it up well but not nearly consistently enough for me. I feel our issues with PTBT’s are more than just the type of player anyway and have a lot to do with the way we tactically approach those teams.I would rather see us persevere with the all round quicker front line and work out how to beat these teams effectively with that system.

78. TotalArsenal says:

Fair enough GB, in my view we missed Giroud enormously on Sunday but I respect your view. I reckon Burnley will take many points from the top teams this season. Luckily, most teams prefer to play football these days. 😀

I reckon Dermot Gallagher is going a bit senile.
    What’s all this crap about using his arms for elevation – he wasn’t jumping for a header.?

Depends on what Dermot is trying to elevate Chas.

chas @7:39 – the best bit from that interview was right at the end, when TH says his good byes to the Boss and says: ‘best wishes for the title, pleeeease’

chas. Thank you. Any other interviews or programmes would be very welcome

Interviews? That’ll be Noam Chomsky for you

Programmes? That’ll be Thunderbirds are Go for me

This is all I can find of this one at the moment.

Good morning for you lot

Crap morning for me. I’m sick and that is a complete disaster

Sick? Not good – thankfully it is during the Interlull.

Traditional Dutch wedding attire?

89. Class LB

Chas & raddy, Thanks for the birthday wishes.

On reflection, it was harder than most of us expected. Its one of those games your scratching your head asking why were not 5 up already? there shit.

Just shows you cant take nothing for granted. I had a similar experience about a year ago. Some scrawny looking geezer overtook me on Green Lanes so I pulled up beside him and let him know he was very fortunate that my non existent martial arts training taught self control.

He then proceeded to block my escape and it was at this point that I noticed a bag of tools in the back of his motor. Obviously this indicated he was proficient at manual labour, so I bottled it and stayed in the car.

Unfortunately,through my elevated anxiety at been accosted by someone proficient in DIY, I forgot to lock the door so my attempts at small talk “Hello sir, fine weather were having. I have a young family.” did not dissuade him “Get out the car you ugly bastard”

His grip was as hard as steel and it was at this point my worse fears were realised, he was a Washing Machine Repair man. “Ime going to spin you like a Zanussi LX3271 you bald f*uck”. As he proceeded to twist my arm at full wash speed i attempted to appease him “I have a full years warranty” but this did no help. By the time he had finished with me, i was the wrong colour.

Football is full of surprises.

chas @11:42
    Chambo 🙂 How can one not laugh when Santi is laughing

Man “Why are you talking into that envelope”?

Friend “You idiot, I’m sending a voice mail”!

Yesterday I ran over a cat, fortunately it had on an address collar. I drove to the house and knocked on the door, a little old lady answered and I told her what had happened and I asked her if I could replace her cat.

He said “That’s fine – but how good are you at catching mice”?

The difference between when I was a kid and today.

Our phones – Wireless
    Feelings – Heartless
    Children – Mannerless
    Government – Clueless
    Politicians – Worthless

Myself – Speechless!
    I scared – Shitless!

I went back to the house I used to live in 65 years ago and asked if I could have a look around – they just slammed the door in my face.

Damn, my sister can be so bloody rude!

Many happy returns TMHT – keep dodging the blokes in the white coats 🙂 🙂

Baldies Unite … eh, Rasp 😀

🙂 absolutely Raddy … grass doesn’t grow on a busy path 🙂

Not sure I understand the graphs but I like the first one best

Me neither and me too.

Still sick, so not functioning at all.

Graphs are excellent for the ill and weak. Find the colours on the top rather bright on sensitive eyes, and like the third one with Man Utd scoring a pathetic 1% of something and registering only a tiny box

Sliders are good for the weak

It’s true. There is a United Nations study from 2013 which states categorically that sliders are good for the weak.

However, when combined with sickness it recommends this ….

Good Morning peeps, 🙂

I cannot tell you how much time I spent trying to figure out the asterisked word tastefully used by the incomparable Terry.
    “Ime going to spin you like a Zanussi LX3271 you bald f*uck”

Using the well known alphabet method – fauck, fbuck,fcuck – but no luck. It clearly needs Rasp the crossword expert to crack it – there is no point asking Terry – he would never know, 😀

What the f*uck?