An Arsenal Subbuteo headache

Saturday 17th, 17:00 hrs.

I have spent four hours in the car, with the last stretch listening to Fivelive 2, and Arsenal sticking four past Hull. I’m pissed off as I missed the game with that goal from Granit, and what sounded like another fabulous performance from Alex Iwobi. I left the motorway as I approached destination suburbia, and immediately hit traffic. Superb. A chance to go straight on to the mobile device and AA, where Chas had brilliantly linked to the Xhaka goal. I watched it about twenty times on the final straight before arriving on the crest of an enormous wave of Arsenal euphoria (thanks Chas, you made my day).

Now picture this. Twenty minutes later and I am sitting on the floor opposite my eight year old nephew. Between us lies a green felt area, four foot by three foot. It’s a Subbuteo football pitch.

snv37009

The years suddenly roll back, and I too, am once again eight years old.  Nephew graciously allows his Uncle to take the field with the Gunners. I study my XI carefully. Hooray, two black players. Theo and Iwobi start.

It was strange how seamlessly I slipped back to my old self. Before I could blink, my XI were lined up for kick off in their traditional 2-3-5. Oh happy days. The good times were back.

I stared across the green at his hideous looking  4-4-2. The modern young. How lost and brainwashed they are.

Ok, a little background. Last time I saw Nephew was at Christmas, when he had asked me in his squeaky little voice “Uncle Didit, who’s your favourite Arsenal player?”. “Iwobi, of course” replied I.

Back to Saturday, and he asks me “Uncle Didit, is Iwobi still your favourite player?” “Yes, of course, he’s a tryer, smart, great control, forward going, speedy and shooty”. At this point, he leaps up with a massive smile on his face, and beckons me to his chamber. There, on the wall, is a massive poster of Alex Iwobi. This made me very proud. I have power.

Right, back to the game.

I said two things on AA last week. One was a question “Could Iwobi be a No10?”, and the other was “I think Iwobi is a better footballer than Aaron Ramsey”.

Some think Aaron’s only role is as a No10. I don’t. I think he belongs only in a Nephew style 4-4-2.

My Arsenal had Alex as No10. He scored four as The Arsenal smashed Chelsea 7-2.

Would either Aaron or Alex get into your Arsenal Subbuteo XI, and if so, where?

Written by MickyDitIt89

59 Responses to An Arsenal Subbuteo headache

Haha, cheers, Micky.

If you have that much power why haven’t you turned your nephew into a purist yet?

I’m loving Iwobi at the moment. It’s almost as if he’s sneaking under the radar.
    Quite a few pick their team for the next game and he’s not in it, yet he keeps getting picked by AW.

Maybe your second comment from last week needs some qualification as to what attributes make a ‘better footballer’? 🙂

2. loved it Micky…been away for so long (commenting)but have followed it closely….The Arsenal is much more than just a game or two…its a lifestyle….and how great it is to see the next generation coming along nicely…may i say great work Micky …cheers from Norway !

These are just for interest.

Hey, Tomstoned
    Seen any Ice Bears lately?

Ramsey should walk and will walk straight back into the team as soon as he is properly fit and that is the big change that is going on under the radar. The squad is so strong that Wenger has the luxury of taking all the time necessary before reintroducing players. A worrying thought just crossed my mind. If what I have just is true then we might not see Danny Welbeck this side of 1218.

Iwobi will only make himself undroppable if he converts the chances that fall to him. He missed a few on Saturday. Although, that said, it would be churlish of me not to recognise the fact that it still takes great talent to get himself into the great goal scoring opportunities in the first place.

Thanks Chas
    What where how the shirt over head 179 Wrighty?
    Awesome

Thanks for the post Uncle Didit 🙂
    Alex Iwobi. I was sure he was English, surprised to see some headlines in the press today hailing the young Nigerian.

He is only 20, blimey, to play at his level so young, he has to be something special.

The thing I have noticed about him is the confidence he has gained since last season. I had an impression when I saw him playing then that he was hiding behind bigger boys. This season each game he seems stronger and balder. He must be thinking ‘yeah man, I can do it’. And I think he can!

Quite right Eddie, he’s showing the grown ups how it’s done.

In fact, on the back of the roaring success of this post, my next one will be titled “Iwobi is miles better than Mesut so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, losers”

jeezus, you is getting madder and madder every day 🙂

someone said that de Bruyne is almost as good as Messi, we shall see

And what have you got against Mezut?? I thought he was bees’ knees.

That’d have been his mother probably

I, on the other hand, am not Iwobi’s mother

Mesut? Doesn’t score enough, whereas Iwobi will. Soon. In the meantime, I do like Mesut, but would always play both

Superb Chas
    Damn he’s electric to watch
    I’d bother turning up 🙂

12. Shard says:

Is Subbuteo like Foosball?

Subbuteto: I was crap. Introduced to the game by Frank “Big Ears” Villiers I kept a Subbuteto log with scorers and results. I even rigged up a floodlit pitch.

But I was really rubbish – even when I drafted in Alex James into my midfield i remained the Leyton Orient of Subbuteto. I could lose to myself.

5.18
    Are you sure?

Wonderful 😀 😀

ha ha ha 🙂

Seriously Chas, you really made my day posting that link to the Xhaka goal. The timing was spot on.

While we’re on the subject of young guns, I hope Jeff starts against Forest

I remember going all the way to watch a League Cup game against Shrewsbury just to see The Ox. Love it when these exciting guys break through, and Iwobi really is the best for a very long time. Probably since Cesc.

That Arsenalist site is definitely the place to go if you haven’t seen the game.

Really looking forward to going down the City Ground tomorrow.

it took me a while to recognise Micky, very funny 🙂

Oh blimey, didn’t know you were going. Nice.

Going to a game that’s only a bus ride away will make a very pleasant change.
    Not sure what excuse we’re going to use for getting to the pub at 2pm, though!

you could say that you house has burned down and you had nowhere else to go.

that is probably going to be one of those unmissable games, Forest trying their best to impress The Arsenal and our young guns shooting for fun. Hmmmmm…lucky Away Boys

And the Lord is sure to start for NF. Can’t wait to see all our reserves and kids.

oh yeah, Nick will play 🙂 lucky, lucky Away Boys

Chas
    “Not sure what excuse we’re going to use for getting to the pub at 2pm, though”

Say…..I’m two hours late because there was an earthquake in my bog?

That’ll be the next morning after the kebab.

Sorry I’m late, I was waiting for the bus and got attacked by a plague of locusts

It’s not difficult

ha ha

Ah, the poll doesn’t show. Here it is.

Erik
    Are you doing a pm, and for the league cup, do you do team sheets?

Used to be easier when we had Wilshere, Diaby and Rosicky all getting injury comeback games

Yes. Yes.

chas. I am working early so could you publish?

Yes, BR, of course.

Chas

I think you are the only one who is going to be able to watch the game because as far as I know, no one is broadcasting it.

39. LBG says:

Iwobi is already potentially a better player than RAmsey, but not in the No 10 position, Micky.
    Disagree with LB in that I do not believe RAmsey will waltz back into team and anyway, in my eyes should not be played anywhere except the No 10 position which is Mesut’s for life. Sorry Aaron!
    Trust AW will pick a team to win first of all, with a chance for youngsters as secondary. Keeping the winning mentality is essential!

Ahh, we have an interesting difference. I agree with your view that Ramsey is a number 10 but I believe he is seen as being too important to the club to be left on the bench and for that reason Wenger will pick him ahead of Cazorla as soon as he is good to go which as I suggested above is being taken very slowly.

So in a nut shell I expect Wenger to continue playing Cazorla until he shows signs of tiring and as soon as he does, welcome back Aaron.

41. LBG says:

Yes LB, I’d noted that interesting difference between our views on RAmsey plus the similarities. I think we need both Santi and Ozil in any team that is our best 11, and I wouldn’t pick Aaron above a number of others. The No 10 position is the only one I think he scores for us and then only in the original purple patch of a couple of seasons ago.

42. LBG says:

I am afraid I believe TW, the Ox and Aaron are almost an the end of their time for me. AW currently disagrees regarding TW!!

Love the kestrel look 🙂

LB
    It’s not on Liveonline. Will sniff around this evening.

Match day!

I agree with LB’s 10.40 p.m.

That could be Jose’s look that says “if only you lot knew how much my mate Roman paid me to do Utd over”

He must have very small teeth

Erik
    LBG’s comment about momentum has made me think we won’t see as many changes as I first thought.
    Still, reckon you’ll score a pathetic 6/11 on selection 🙂

Hooray for The Times of India and all who work there 🙂

Cazorla is our best playmaker, he should not be dropped, until he drops due to injury or exhaustion. The rest should be played depending on the opponent – Iwobi is more attacking than Ramsey, and Elneny not fully defined yet. Ox should keep the bench warm.

But that’s from someone who knows sweet FA about formations.

NEW POST