Hull 1 Arsenal 4………..A Few Thoughts

Arsenal won comfortably away from home, mmmmm, is that true, did they? Was it as comfortable as the score suggests? Not quite. Arsenal started brightly enough creating numerous chances but seemed to lack the ability to clinically finish the opportunities that were being laid before them. Away to Hull should always be regarded as a three point banker but as hard as we tried to even things up by squandering chance after chance the sheer volume of opportunities made it almost impossible to continue this benevolence and avoid converting at least one of the openings. And so it was: Iwobi fired home for what looked like his first goal of the season only to find out on closer inspection that Sanchez touched its way giving him the right to claim it for himself.

One – nil and all was going to plan. We were obviously going to push on from here right? No. More and more chances were being created and all coming to nothing. This wastefulness seemed to lift Hull’s spirits and they were starting to see a way back into the game but being the helpful chaps that they are one of them decided to put his hand out to block a shot that was going harmfully into their keeper’s arms. Hand ball! Yes it was. Livermore was sent off and Sanchez stepped up to put us two ahead and thereby allowing us to relax and enjoy the rest of the game. Nooooo. Sanchez propelled himself high up the charts of Arsenal’s most limp-wristed penalty attempts.

There is always a worry that any opposition can get back into the game when you are only one up even if you they only have ten men. So we had to suffer another twenty minutes of anxiety before Walcott earned his £90,000 wages this week and put us two up and the game to bed. Noooooo again. We ridiculously let them back into the game again when they were awarded a penalty for which Cech was lucky to stay on the pitch.

HULL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 17:  Dieumerci Mbokani of Hull City is bought down by Petr Cech of Arsenal for a penelty during the Premier League match between Hull City and Arsenal at KCOM Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Hull, England.  (Photo by Alex Morton/Getty Images)

Clearly a dive

Snodgrass (yes I know) showed Sanchez how it is done and converted the kick with power and accuracy. This led to more unnecessary worry for the next ten minutes before Sanchez put Snodgrass back in his place with a powerful drive of his own to make it three – one. Not even Arsenal were going to let that one slip and so the game came to an end and we all turned our attention towards the mid week game against Nottingham Forrest.

Smoke coming out of his fingers

Ooooooh no we didn’t; I have just waded through that lot up there to get to the golden nugget lying at the end of this rainbow. There is the small matter of the fourth goal and I am going to savour it. OMG and other very youthful over the top expressions; what a goal? The Exocet, the Howitzer, the Xhaka pile driver, can you think of the last time someone scored a goal from that far out? I just stood clapping in the middle of the 12 Pins for a good full five minutes. Which by the way has been modernised at last, more screens and all in HD. £9 to get in which gets you two drinks.

Back to the game and perhaps a little less of the snippy tone; this was a good win from a continually improving side. Wenger deployed his troops well, slowly introducing the new arrivals and giving opportunities to Iwobi and Walcott who are close to fulfilling their potential. My guess is that at the end Wenger was trying out important combinations in preparation for next week’s test against Chelsea. Can’t wait?

70 Responses to Hull 1 Arsenal 4………..A Few Thoughts

New post a bit short but I don’t have much time as I am off to a barby in Suffolk.
    Chas if you aren’t doing much can you put a couple of pics in for padding Thanks.

Thanks LB. Another fine read.

Life is just better after a win.

TA – of course I was joking, the weather has been very good lately 🙂
    you put some stupid comments too, but I don’t come out with it and call you stupid, behave.

4. Apart from the cheating.. diving.. oh and bunging the ref.. oh and yeah weren’t the tigers down to 10 men for 50 mins from a wrong decision? Apart from that.. yeah you won?

Fantastic post!
    “made it almost impossible to continue this benevolence and avoid converting at least one of the openings” – how very true. Sometimes I think they are wasting chances deliberately to keep us in suspense.

I disagreed with Raddy and I disagree with you about Jake Livermore – it was a very harsh red, it should have been a yellow all day long. Cech’s challenge was by far more serious.

Football ‘experts’ seem to agree with me – it is only red if the ref is 100% sure it was a goal. It wasn’t. The keeper would have saved it.

Other than that – I think Hull deserve a good word – they played well, better than in the previous season. Huge improvement from the caretaker manager.

Our lads? Good, finding their feet, new signings seem good, happy dayz.

Xhaka’s goal? I didn’t even see where it came from it was so quick. Fantastic! More like that please. So much nicer than the patient team work sweating often coming to nothing. Bellerin likes shooting like that, I hope he will start finding the net soon

6. fatgingergooner says:

You’ve got to be pretty ‘special’ to sell De Bruyne! What a player that lad is.

Anyway, great result. Still nowhere near our best but might be good enough to beat Chelsea if we put the effort in. Wenger still seems to be fancying a mobile striker. I like it, but still think Giroud will have a big part to play this season. The bench included Gibbs, Ospina, Xhaka, Ox, Perez, Elneny and we were without Merts, Gab, Ramsey, Giroud, Welbs.

I feel a good season coming on!

Last note, Iwobi (where the hell has this lad come from!) and Xhaka (😍)!

7. Nonny says:

I wand to disagree with you on your comments regarding a few points.

1. No game in the EPL is a sure 3 points irrespective of the opposition. Remember ManU had to work so hard and only scored against this opposition in the last minute of injury time before the international break. Hull already have 7 points this season so they are no pushover.

2. Being anxious, excited, relaxed or worried is a thing of the mind. You can be expressing one and the person next to you is expressing another. I for one, enjoyed the game and was never anxious or worried because I knew Arsenal will come good.

3. Football rule is that a player using his arm/hand to block a shot on target, irrespective of if the goalkeeper is behind him to catch the ball or not is a straight red card. This was why the Hull players did not argue with the decision and the player gently left the pitch.

4. Cech’s foul on Mbokani is a yellow card in accordance with the amended rules starting at the Euros. This is to avoid the triple punishment where (1) a goalkeeper is sent off, reducing the team to 10 men; (2) Penalty is given, restoring the goal scoring opportunity and (3) Goalkeeper is suspended for a game or games. It has come into effect together with the rule allowing the start or restart of a game allowing the ball to move in any direction which enables most teams to have only one player at the center circle and widely implemented this season in various league matches even at the UCL, UEL and Olympics.

nonny re 3 – where did you see that rule?
    We need GiE to resolve the issue. Like I said – many ex-footballers turn TV pundits said that it was harsh. Phelan thought so too.

9. Philbet says:

Wow, that is some post from Nonny, rarely (never), to you read such an accurate,factual and lucid post on any football blog, if I could I would give it a thousand thumbs up👍
    I do hope he never ventures into “Le Moan” as they have yet to make a factual post in 2016 and as for the re-pliers most cant spell “factual” never mind understand its meaning.
    Well done that guy. COYG !!

10. Shard says:

Hi Eddie

“When a denial of a goalscoring opportunity offence is committed by a defender in the penalty area, the penalty kick effectively restores the goalscoring opportunity so the punishment for the player should be less strong (e.g. a yellow card) than when the offence is committed outside the penalty area. However, when the offence is handball or clearly not a genuine attempt to play or challenge for the ball, the player will be sent off.”

That’s the rule. Never rely on football studio pundits to tell you the rules of the game. Friendly advice 🙂

LB
    Also under that rule, Cech has no reason to be sent off. In fact, I doubt even before the changes he would have been sent off. Fouls going away from goal towards the side usually resulted only in a yellow.

But yay for our victory and even more so for a much more fluid performance. Hopefully we can keep improving.

Nice to hear the 12 pins has upgraded. I can’t remember when I went there but hopefully sometime during this season I’ll go again.

shard – you made that one up 🙂 where is the quote from?

12. Shard says:

I don’t know where they got it from. The language in the FIFA document is different though the meaning is the same.

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
    Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
    opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the
    offence occurs.
    Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own
    penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
    and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:

The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or

The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no
    possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or

The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on
    the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
    In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.
    The following must be considered:

distance between the offence and the goal

general direction of the play

likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

location and number of defenders

shard – now I have a problem – do I believe you or the TV pundits? Who knows better and who is bullshitting 🙂 I think Ill go along with the TV pundits, because I feel I need to defend Livermore.

14. Shard says:

Always good to defend your liver more than your senses. #Alcohol

Excellent, LB.
    I wish I lived closer to The Pins.

I didn’t watch the game as I couldn’t find a stream.
    I saved myself some stress by the sound of it.
    The brief moment when I got the goal flash for the Hull pen was the only moment of slight worry, but the 3rd and clinching goal came soon enough to diminish any rise in blood pressure.

Three shiny happy points in the back pocket and I’m looking forward to a trip down the road on Tuesday. 🙂

Either believe the TV pundit ar*eholes or Shard and you go for the morons.
    Preposterous.

17. Ant says:

Eddie – take your 238th red card of the last week!

18. Ant says:

But you are funny!

19. fatgingergooner says:

Now 4 pens in 5 games!

If only we could score them. I like those numbers though!

It’s a super Sunday – with 5 minutes left it’s Watford 2 – Man Who? 1

not preposterous at all, pragmatic if anything. Jake L is an investor in my relative’s business. It is in my interest to see him doing well 🙂

ant – red card for what??

hornets 🙂 🙂

3-1 Wasps…………………………have stung.

No easy games at this level 😀

24. Thank you LB, what a lovely read. I’m enjoying back to back wins 🙂

I haven’t seen the game yet but as those nice people at Sky made it game of the day – how often does that happen? – I’ve recorded it to watch later.

Loving the footballing gods work this weekend, no points for Chavs or Manks 🙂

25. Eddie – were you avoiding watching the Wat/Mank game 🙂 🙂 🙂

no peaches, I wasn’t. I just preferred having a delicious glass of water with a friend 🙂
    But I was sure Manu were going to win convincingly, pointless watching…

LB
    I had a look at which footballer Charlie George was punching in the side bar (getting punched in the side bar is always painful).

I posted the photo but when I saved it, I neglected to make a note of who it was.

For some reason I thought it was a Birmingham City footballer but think it might be him above, Peter Noble of Burnley?

Came across this from the same era.
    Aside from the wonderful haircuts on display at Birmingham City, how many of them can you name?

Good to see Shard back and a fine comment from Nonny.

I knew about the rule changes but not in any depth

I think I recognise Trevor Francis,

Howard Kendall, Kenny Burns, Gordon Taylor, Trevor Francis, Mike Kelly, Dave Latchford, Gary Sprake, Bobby Hope

🙂 another disgusting comment from me 🙂

Raddy – Dave Latchford. So you got 2 out of 21 right! Well done, I couldn’t tell the team, let alone the players

For once the officials at FIFA have got these new rules spot on.

Genuine attempt to play ball ….penalty and yellow card it’s simple.

Do a Skolkskar red card and free kick.

Deliberate Handball red card, the only question is whether it was deliberate on Livermores part. But once the penalty has been awarded it’s a moot point he has to be sent off as handball isnonly an offence when deliberate. Unlike say hockey when you get penalised for the ball hitting your foot doesnt matter if deliberate or not.

Now that last part is perhaps the only part that needs changing, for me the old law of gaining an advantage from playing the ball with your hand could result in a penalty but not a sending off as you could argue it wasn’t deliberate, but as team gained an advantage (shot no longer goal bound).

Sorry not been around too busy with work and keeping up to date with olympics and Paralympics.

My biggest worry so far is the size of the squad, I think we are at the limits and we have little room to manoeuvre in January should we need it. And also Wenger will have his work cut out keeping everyone happy and the team balanced.

I think he will find his A team soon, and have to expect that Xhaka will get more game time.

Btw if we are going to play such a high defensive line Cech needs to have a starting positions around the 18 us or D not the 6 yard and penalty spot.

Alongside Trevor Francis in the Birmingham squad photo is John Roberts, formerly of The Arsenal.
    Thought you might get him, BR. 🙂

I am loving Jose descend into, what shall we call him:

The Pretty Average One

Not so much that we get the enjoyment of watching Manu struggle which is always fun of course but I get greater pleasure from watching just how much that his woes are putting certain Arsenal supporters in their place.

Spend some money Wenger.

Look what happens when you are as decisive as Jose

We should have players like Ibrahimovic

And all the rest of it

Well here is what this side has to say.

We told you over and over again but you wouldn’t listen, now can you see what we were saying?

I would still sign Ibrahimovic. Sanchez, Ozil, Big Nose ….. swoon

chas. I only saw Roberts play a few times and it was probably under the influence 😀

LB, I wonder if the penny is dropping about what Maureen can and can’t do with more than just a arsenal fans. But checked a couple of Manc blogs last night and there was no toy throwing yet. Things must have been really bad under Moyes and LVG!

Now admittedly it’s only 5 games in and he may yet find a perfect formula, if I was a United fan I’d be thinking why are we worried about how close Luke Shaw is to Watfords wing back, shouldn’t we be more worried about attacking? Under LVG United fans bemoaned the controlled ultra coached possession football, I think they’ll soon realise Maureen wasn’t the man to develop them as an attacking force.

There is nothing I want more (in footballing terms) than us winning the CL and Mourinho failing. Sadly, I cannot see either happening. I think Mourinho will still get his disgusting team to win something this season.

I don’t believe Shard or TV pundits, but if GiE says it was a sending off then I have to accept it. Damn. I still feel sorry for Livermore, he is really trying to get his career on track. Straight red and he misses 3 games. Damn.

No, only a one game ban for handball, but don’t ask me, ask the TV pundits.

ha ha ha, sarky so and so 🙂 Sorry I spoiled your quiz yesterday, I couldn’t help myself

Notts Forest tomorrow. EFL cup. Why is the cup’s name always changing

Eddie. Livermore is ex-Spurs, waste no sympathy on him.

Youth team, reserves and first team, in other words he is a Miscreant steeped in the dark arts

TA – come back, don’t be childish. We had a spat, get over it. I still have no idea whatsoever what you found disgusting about my comment. I am a foreigner so I thought it was pretty obvious I was being ironic. Plus the fact that my plea was to convince LBG to stay in America so I could sit in his seat – you didn’t think I was being serious??!!

47. Shard says:

GIE

I think on the handball thing it is necessary to keep the ‘deliberate’ part because it keeps the spirit of the law alive. It does my head in that hockey has a legitimate tactic of getting into the D and hitting the ball at an opponent’s legs, who has to try and jump out of the way or use his stick to block. It feels like cheating to me.

The way intent on handball is interpreted seems to be whether the player did what he could reasonably be expected to avoid a handball. So if you spread out your arms to cover more space and the ball hits your hand, it is intentional. BUt if you have your arms down by your side and the attacker just kicks the ball into them, no foul. Seems fair to me.

On Mourinho, I think the extent of his talent has always been to get into teams who are on the cusp of winning, adding hundreds of millions of pounds of players (from some favoured agents) and then get them all to buy into playing team defense and relying on individual talent to score at the other end.

Trouble is, this ethic of defense first has worked only because he rules through fear (and this eventually breaks down the team ethic anyway. Hence his short stays at clubs). But fear only works as a tool when you show no weakness. His failure at Real Madrid, emerging pattern of 3rd year weakness even with the biggest clubs, and then last season with Chelsea, has reduced his aura. Which probably means his players don’t really fight for him like they used to, because they don’t fear him. He has to resort to superficial methods like dropping Schweinsteiger to try and show he’s boss. Sure, he may still get it right, but without any tactical innovations, I think it is unlikely he enjoys his previous success. Especially as his clubs no longer have the spending monopoly as previously.

You didn’t spoil the quiz.
    No-one was interested.
    Even BR only made a token effort. 🙂
    I got Trevor Francis, Kenny Burns, Gary Sprake, Gordon Taylor and John Roberts.
    I bet Terry would have beaten that total even though he is much younger than me.
    Ant may have done better also.

The League Cup is usually called after the main sponsor.
    This season there isn’t one.

Raddy – you are heartless. Anyway, met this REALLY strange man yesterday. He said that Denmark are the next country to exit the EU, is that right?? At the end of the dog walk the idiot saw my car reg, asked the obvious if I am a Gunner and cracked a joke ‘I am going to their end of season dinner next week’ and then he could not stop laughing. Have to avoid him and his 2 stupid dogs

very good comment, thanks shard. you are probably right about Mourinho fear tactics. Ibra and Rooney won’t be scared of him 🙂

chas – so who was the sponsor during the Community Cup years?

I don’t remember the Community Cup years.
    Please enlighten me.

Period ……………..Sponsor………………. Name
    1960/61–1980/81 No main sponsor ……..Football League Cup
    1981/82–1985/86 Milk Marketing Board ……..Milk Cup
    1986/87–1989/90 Littlewoods ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..Littlewoods Challenge Cup
    1990/91–1991/92 Rumbelows …………….Rumbelows Cup
    1992/93–1997/98 Coca-Cola[18] …………….Coca-Cola Cup
    1998/99–2002/03 Worthington’s[19] ……..Worthington Cup
    2003/04–2011/12 Molson Coors[20] ……..Carling Cup
    2012/13–2015/16 Capital One[21] ……..Capital One Cup
    2016/17– ……..No main sponsor ……..EFL Cup

I cannot, sorry, no time.
    it was a Community Shield match of course, silly me.

What’s wrong with Leslie?

girl’s name
    handsome face, yet not pleasant

I have to share this with you, all of you who think honey is expensive. I worked during the winter to prepare for the beekeeping season, I worked spring and summer tending to the bees. The weather was against me, epidemic of warroa mite and wasps devastating, queens disappearing, a nightmare. But I managed to get 3 boxes of honey, wrapped them up in thick foil and stored to extract later. On Saturday I noticed that honey was leaking from the boxes, what the feck?? I unwrapped them yesterday only to discover that wax moth destroyed my crops. I cried and cried, and cried…all this work, lots of money for nothing.

That’s a sad story Eddie.

If at first and all that……………..

LB – ha ha ha, not sad, just infuriating, that the little bastards can outwit us 🙂 I’ve been a beekeeper for only 6 years and apparently it takes about 50 to be good at it, I have long way to go yet

59. Shard says:

60. Shard says:

61. fred1266 says:

GIE I agree about Cech positioning but surely Mustafi should have been marking better q

Morning all
    Thanks LB

POST SENT

Back later

where is the post??

shard – was it the moment the doctor stepped on the pitch?
    pep – where did he learn English?? some school of charm

NEW POST duly published