A Spurs loss or an Arsenal draw?

Schadenfreude.

Which gave you more pleasure – seeing the results of both Spurs and Man Utd or Arsenal getting a “plucky” draw (we could remove the P and be more accurate)  in Paris.

Unknown.jpeg

In Raddy’s case, the enjoyment of the two losses was considerable but fleeting, a little like a naughty doughnut, whereas the warm feelings created by the series of Cavani misses will help me through the long winter nights. So, on balance, I would have to say that a positive Arsenal result is better than a negative one for our rivals.

This is one of the most enjoyable parts of football fandom –  I care about other teams results in an antipathetic way. It isn’t enough that Arsenal gain 3 points and win handsomely, what heightens the enjoyment is an embarrassing loss for any of the Top 5 clubs.

What really piques the senses is when they lose points in an unjust manner such as Chelsea and Cahill getting “Marriner-ed” at Swansea which, following our questionable last-minute penalty the day before, made for an excellent weekend’s football.

Or is it just me?

written by Big Raddy

55 Responses to A Spurs loss or an Arsenal draw?

1. Arthur says:

I actually know a Chelsea fan who says that he enjoys it more when they beat us by cheating or a dodgy referee because he likes to see Arsenal fans upset.

I think the PSG result was karma for us. I can’t count the number of games we lost after missing chance after chance. It feels so good to be on the other end of a game like that. Of course the AAA will crucify Arsenal for both games: they are not happy with us getting a point at PSG or losing to a minnow after dominating a game.

Thanks Raddy

Back before 2005 I used to find it highly amusing that many Spuds fans I knew would rather lose a game if that result impacted Arsenal. They were more focussed on us than their own team and progress.

Not for me, I would prefer a Spuds win if it helps us in any way and don’t care what they are doing as long as we are in the ascendancy. I am purely interested in our progress and that we move onwards and upwards.

This is why I can never console myself with a loss or a poor season by comparing to a traditional top table rival that may have been even worse. I don’t see last season as a good one just because we were ahead of Citeh, Chavs, Utd and Spuds, it was still a poor season. I only want to see us progress and am waiting with baited breath for us to kick on this season and prove we are a top team again.

Cheers, BR.

After the Leicester game we went back to the pub we’d enjoyed pre-match. Some Leicester fans seemed eager to get our opinion on their supposed penalty shouts. I immediately said that neither was a pen because of diving etc. (I hadn’t seen the one up the far end at all as I would have needed the Hubble telescope)

Afterwards, Ant said that he hoped the second one in particular, was a cast iron pen because it made the point all the sweeter. 🙂

It definitely adds something to your whole enjoyment of the results if your main rivals have been unfairly treated. Not that that happened to the spuds or mancs. Both were satisfyingly outclassed. 😆

We, of course, thoroughly deserved our point in Paris due to our resilience and professionalism (well, that’s what Shearer says on MOTD if some team comes to the Emirates with the intention of not leaving their own half and having the woodwork and a GK playing the game of their lives to thank for spawning a draw).

GoonerB

If Leicester had had their normal mid-table season last year and with everything else remaining equal, we’d sneaked into top spot above the spuds on the last day, I bet you’d still find a way of saying it was a poor season.

I’m starting to feel sorry for you.

p.s. I imagine you feel sorry for me, too! 🙂

….in my world of happiness and delusion.

‘It’s a clear offside,’ says Manchester United manager of Feyenoord goal

Hahahahahahahaha

Nice thinking Erik, thanks

To heighten both pain and pleasure, last minute goals work as well as unfair ones. They heighten our victories, while inflicting maximum pain on those we dislike

9. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Raddy, it’s been a good week for Arsenal and could become even better with a win at The Tigers and the Hornets stinging Maureen for a third defeat in a row.

My best JM moment was yesterday after the Feijenoord defeat: ‘There was only team that wanted to play football’ muhahahahaha 😂😇

Hehehe here’s a great bit of unsportsmanlike behaviour

During half time at the Southampton game, they had an interview with Arsenal Legend Willie Young and THAT tackle

Poor perm haired scouser 🙂

I tell you what would make me happy is for the Sunday papers to have have a Keith Vaz story but only with Perfect Pep. He’s starting to annoy me.

To be very clear it’s great when Man U lose a game but when they lose two in a row with Mourin ho-ho-ho as their manager it’s over it’s absolutely fantastic.
    I didn’t think I could feel any better and then we got a very squeaky tie away at PSG while the spuds were beaten at Wembley by Monaco – popping over to their sites makes it feel even better.

13. JM says:

Defeat (or Vanquish) every challenger that comes into the team’s path on any circumstances.

14. JM says:

AW’s press conference in brief ahead of Hull City away:

“Walcott could be back in the squad, I have to check how well he came out of the session today.”

“Ramsey is, of course, still out. We are cautious with him because we don’t want any setback with his hamstring.”

“Gabriel is back in normal training, I don’t think he’ll play tomorrow, but he might be involved on Tuesday.”

“Xhaka is adapting to the pace of the English game… but he will play games. I think he will have a huge impact.”

“Petr Cech will be back (for Hull City).”

15. JM says:

Martin Keown on Sportsmail.

(Arsenal FC related Q&As quoted; some insights on Arsene Wenger’s management style and decision-making):

(Q1): What is your opinion on having one goalkeeper for the Premier League and another for the Champions League? (Steve, Canvey Island)

(MK): “Playing David Ospina against Paris Saint-Germain was a massive show of faith from Arsene Wenger.

Arsenal lost their first two Champions League group games last year when Ospina played instead of Petr Cech and their defeat by Olympiacos was largely down to a mistake by the goalkeeper.

As long as they are experienced, using different goalkeepers for different competitions is not such a concern.

In the latter stages of my career I didn’t care who was in goal. I was fortunate in having David Seaman and Jens Lehmann.

Ospina is an international goalkeeper so there should not be too much concern for the players.

It’s more the message it sends to the fans. They will wonder why Wenger isn’t picking his first choice.

It does put on extra pressure as everyone underlined the fact that the reserve goalkeeper made a glaring error at this stage last season.

However, Wenger will feel that he can’t offer his belief in a player if he doesn’t back it up by selecting him, so I applaud him for playing Ospina on Tuesday.”

(Q2): Do you think John Stones would have been the missing link in Arsenal’s back four? (Richard, Winnersh)

(MK): “Arsene Wenger would have wanted him if he could have afforded him. He is of the opinion that central defenders need to be technical players.

He’s not so bothered about having giants in central defence – he’d rather have mobile, technical defenders – and is always on the lookout for a young, English centre back.

Would Stones have improved Arsenal’s back four? He wouldn’t have made it any worse and will no doubt have come out with the ball as he has done for City.”

(Q3): What did you think about Arsene Wenger resting Granit Xhaka and Olivier Giroud in the Champions League? (Rebecca, Islington)

(MK): “It’s his management style. He believes there should be nothing between the players in Arsenal’s squad and if you’ve got these players, you’ve got to believe in every single one.

If the performance doesn’t match that, then the manager has overestimated his player’s ability.

It seems to me the only guaranteed place in Wenger’s midfield is Santi Cazorla. When he plays, Arsenal seem to get good results.

Wenger wants someone on the ball to make something happen but so far no-one has nailed down a place alongside Cazorla.

Sooner or later, Wenger will have to decide on his No 1 pairing.

If I was Olivier Giroud, I’d be a little concerned not to have started against Paris Saint-Germain.

Going with Alexis Sanchez shows that Wenger wants pace in that central position. Giroud was sent off against PSG and he might have gone on a little too fired up wanting to prove why he should start.”

16. chas mobile says:

Cheers, JM.
    Interesting.

I’m really not sure about Martin Keown. He’s still trying to forge a career as a pundit, but I get the impression he’s no more than thicko Ray Parlour with bells on.
    He’s certainly less interesting than some background white noise when co-commentating and his ‘analysis’ when a guest on MOTD is no better than Billy Big Bollix Shearer.

17. JM says:

chas, at least he is closer to the workings in Arsenal FC than the rest of us are, being an ambassador alongside Arsene Wenger, Bob Wilson, Liam Brady and Robert Pires in the Arsenal Foundation.

18. LBG says:

Morning from CA
    All I wish for is justice in results.
    A slightly lucky point is always acceptable, but victory when it is deserved is what really gives the warm contented feeling.
    The occasional defeat for nearby opposition esp when they have been arrogant or have ” cheated” etc can bring a smile, but has no lasting significance compared to a soundly earned victory for our beloved Gunners.

LBG,

As I’m concerned there is no such thing as an undeserved point for Arsenal – I’m happy with every point that comes our way – earned or not.

I look down on 1-0 victories 🙂

The Vines are on form today.

22. L says:

GN5 I like your positivity, but even I with the ultimate ” half pint full” footie philosophy know occasionally, very very occasionally, the mighty Gunners…….are very fortunate!

23. LBG says:

I don’t know where the “B” and the “G” went!
    Into the blogging stratosphere perhaps, but it’s a long way from CA!

LBG where are you in CA? I’ve visited most parts of the state – LA in particular.

chavs v dippers

Gotta be a draw, I suppose
    Next up a dippers win?
    Chelsea are pure scum but I can’t quite dislike them quite as much since Maureen left.
    If they shifted Costa, what’s left to detest? 🙂
    Their supporters, of course, but we don’t come into contact with them too often.

Would you say Chelsea or Liverpool are more to worry us at the moment?

Chas. I can. Despicable bunch of cheating megalomaniacs with severe ego problems – and that is the best of them.

As you say, a draw would be best

This is a depressing statistic from “After Football” about the life of players post-retirement

“A third of footballers will be divorced within a year and two in every five Premier League players face bankruptcy within five years, and yet the average salary is around £35,000 per week.”

I’ve never earnt £35,000 in one year, let alone one week.
    How I’ve escaped bankruptcy is anybody’s guess.

Never been divorced either.
    Unlike some. 🙂

Money (or a trophy 🙂 ) doesn’t buy you happiness.

chas. Perhaps that is why you never made it as a pro footballer

34. LBG says:

GN5
    Half Moon Bay, California. About 25 mins drive south from San Fran. Famous for its Pumpkin Festival, it’s visiting grey whales and it’s King salmon, a 25+lb specimen of which I caught yesterday. Photos possible from Chas.

A Pumpkin Festival. Wow.

Congratulations. That is a fine fish.

that comment from Arthur really upset me. I have heard it before – nothing funnier than winging Gunners.

That is why I will moan here all day long, but I step outside and defend the Club with my life.

No Raddy, it’s not just you. I prefer getting 3 points then enjoing oppo losing. But the two together on the same weekend is like xmas come early.

nice try LBG, but salmon is a fresh water fish 🙂 take it back to the shop

struggling raddy, struggling??!!! ha ha ha losing 2 nil at home to Pool, wunderbar 🙂 Forget all about I said not enjoying other teams’ loses 🙂 It does not apply to Chavs.

Eddie. Schadenfreude can be very enjoyable 😀

Trouble is we expect Chavs to finish top 3 but L’pool are looking very strong and if we are honest much better than anything we have seen from our chaps. Perhaps we should be hoping for a Chav revival

oh really? Are you watching the game Raddy?

No, I’d rather chavs lose no matter to whom, especially at the bloody bridge 🙂

Eddie, Chinook (King) Salmon spawn in fresh water and the fry (young fish) they tend to stay in streams for about a year and then make their way out to the Ocean where they stay returning only to spawn.

LBG, That’s a great salmon – did it become your dinner?

Eddie,

The annual salmon run, when they return from the sea to spawn, is an incredible spectacle 10’s of thousands of them fight their way up stream and run the gauntlet of Black bear, Grizzle bears and Bald Headed Eagles. When I lived on the west coast it was a sight not to miss – plus the fishing was just incredible.

There’s nothing quite like a grilled fresh caught red salmon, ah the memories……………..we used to catch so many the we would smoke them in our back garden smokers and then freeze them.

The joy of it all Chelsea lose at home………………

46. fred1266 says:

Chelsea losing today nice

47. LBG says:

GN5
    Glad your knowledge of the salmon is more knowledgeable by far than one Eddie!!
    Well I cooked a small proportion of it to feed five but large amount frozen in my son’s freezer for a few weeks to come.
    Captain of boat estimated it was the equivalent of 300 dollars retail. A real buzz to catch!

LBG

Fantastic salmon. Do you know what type of Pacific Salmon? Just reading a book about exploring BC and Alaska and some bloke was catching Coho, and maybe Chinook

The only one I know the look of is the sockeye

Ah, the sockeye. Many a tale is told around the campfire about the mighty sockeye.

Oh that’s nice Erik. Mock

Morning to you too 🙂

BTW The only reason I wrote the above post was to publish the wonderful pic. Reminds me of my sister and I.

There is a New Post