Is The Arsenal Jigsaw Complete? …. place your vote!

We’ve spent £100m (give or take)

We’ve brought in players in all the positions that needed reinforcement. We have a top keeper, a world class centre back, a block of solid Granit in front of our defence and a pacey fox in the box striker, whose quick feet should compliment our existing strike force.

We have 4 shiny new players who can walk straight into the first team – 3 in their peak years and one a fantastic young prospect who is already well in advance of his years.

We’ve got rid of (and I hate this phrase) some of the dead wood.

We’ve done the decent thing and allowed young players who need time on the pitch to gain experience elsewhere.

All in all, I’m very happy with our transfer activity this summer.

There are eminent bloggers on this site who will say that had we concluded our business earlier we might not be 5 points behind the league leaders, or that we should have splashed out £60m on a worldie striker – I can’t argue against these points, we will know if these criticisms are justified at the end of the season.

Personally, I am optimistic and looking forward to the coming season with real hope that we can achieve something special. How do you view Arsenal’s transfer business? … have your say and vote in the poll below ….

Rasp

143 Responses to Is The Arsenal Jigsaw Complete? …. place your vote!

Cheers, Rasp.
    I went ‘undecided’ to annoy Micky.

“Eminent bloggers” ROLF.

Morning chas, I’ve moved your first comment to the end of yesterday’s post to avoid confusing anyone new to the site 🙂

3. Hlanganani Thodlana says:

I feel honestly if you are going to spend money then spend it earlier than everyone and get your team in shape before the beginning of the season. We act like buying players is rocket science and that Arsenal has a high grade selection policy.
    If this was so, would we have gone for more than 10 years without winning the league ? Wenger acts like he needs to be persuaded to do the only reasonable thing every season. We have been having bad starts for like the last three season or so now.
    Now add that to our habit of losing matches we are suppose to win (losing 2-0 to relegation bound Aston Villa) and you have us fighting for number four for yet another season. You know the saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I voted No. I wanted a big name striker.

UNDECIDED!!!!!

Chas understands my feelings about the weak and spineless 😀

I saw someone on twitter use the ‘You know the saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results’ line the other day.

The response was something like, ‘tell that to a 6 year old Dennis Bergkamp kicking a ball against a wall all day’. 🙂

7. david18 says:

Hopefully this will be be the last ever transfer window mismanaged by Wenger.

Thanks Rasp
    The eminent bloggers make a good case 😀

Hands up all eminents

Hlanganani Thodlana
    We beat Villa twice last season???????????

Chas @9:18
    Brilliant
    Rolf lamow

Take a look to your right at Rasp’s beautifully constructed widget.
    ==============>

Unless you’re on a phone, of course.

Apols, telephonic device.

Right, 9.30, motning session over.

Well done Rasp.

I voted yes and am very excited about the football to come.

16. TotalArsenal says:

A fat yes from me, or as Simon Callow would say it is a 1000% yes from me. 🙂

We have the best squad now in the league without a doubt and have a really good chance to win it. What a ride it will be between now and end of May – come on inside.

17. Chairman Gallant says:

I voted yes, because right now our goal keeper is world class,our defence will now be rock solid,our midfield department is second to none in the league, and our attack is now very good. So i am definitely looking forward to a great season for us. No shaking!

18. Osmond says:

Very happy coz this is what has been missing at arsenal. No changes but expecting g different results. My arsenal season starts today and can’t wait let the games begin. Also it will depend on who Arden decides to field. Theo must have gone on a season loan he is not just good enough for arsenal. Let’s go you gunners

19. TotalArsenal says:

Simon Cowell even 😀

Thanks for the responses … especially from eminent bloggers 🙂

I agree with Osmond, I feel like our season is starting now. We have the strongest squad since The Invincibles, what’s not to love?

21. fatgingergooner says:

Very happy. £100m spent without anyone going out (players are only leaving on our terms). How is that not different to what’s happened in the past?

Best squad we’ve had in a long time.

Well I am definitely not a No voter and am more towards the yes but not all the way there so had to go undecided. I’m in Missouri….in other words show me.

Also Perez wasn’t at the Euros and had a low (by today’s standards release clause, so…..why couldn’t we have got him when the TW opened and allowed him to have a proper pre-season getting used to his team-mates. If we had done that we might not have been 5 points behind the league leaders…..ooohhh….just realised I am eminent 🙂

The biggest dangers to us now are as follows :

1 Perez doesn’t turn out to be quite good enough

2 Mustafi alongside Kos proves to be too small with Arsene not adjusting tactics to accommodate this, and then watching Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch score hat-tricks against us.

3 He shoe horns Ramsey back in to the side in an unsuitable position thus unbalancing the side

4 He goes back to Ollie as 1st choice number 9

5 He goes back to Ollie as 1st choice number 9

6 He goes back to Ollie as 1st choice number 9

If Perez turns out to be that untapped gem, Mustafi can leap higher than a Kangaroo despite his limited height, and Wenger avoids pitfalls 3-6 we could be on for a good year.

Thank-you for listening your eminents.

Oh and get the half time team talks right so we don’t keep coming out like we have just had 15 minutes chillaxing around a fire with Raddy on guitar while participating in the Jamaican Woodbines.

24. VP of Oz says:

I think that every vote should include –
    Undecided
    None of the Above

My season started in the first 45 minutes against Watford.

GB. A bit of chillaxing would help Ox and Le Coq. 😀

Perez has stated that AFC started negotiations at the beginning of July which refutes the panic buy theory but as you say, why did it take so long? I guess Deportivo were playing us against Everton.

26. fatgingergooner says:

Who thought we would spend close to £100m in this window without selling anyone? Not many I bet. Only time will tell wether we have bought the right players or how they fit in our system, but for now, this window can only be seen as a positive for Arsenal Football Club. It’s the window where the club have finally shown the fans that they are not afraid to invest and that they are capable of competing with the majority of clubs in the market.

BR

There is another way of looking at it and that is that we were waiting to see if the world class striker, someone of Ozil’s quality for example, that everyone, but most of all Arsene Wenger, wanted and as such was purposely holding off the Lucas and importantly Lacazzette deal. Only when it became apparent that no such player was going to become available did the club decide to press the button on Lucas.

The great advantage of having Lucas for 17 million is that we are still in a position of being able to buy an Ozil if he becomes available. This would not have been true if we had paid 70 million for Lacazzette. We dodged a bullet there if you ask me because Lacazzette is not world class. I am also much more excited about the kind of player that Lucas is and what he brings to our forward line.

28. fatgingergooner says:

I agree with that LB.

If you look at the ages of the Arsenal strikers next summer then there is a clear gap for a striker in their prime to be added.

Giroud (31 in September 2017)
    Perez (29 in September 2017)
    Akpom (22 in October 2017)

You also have a couple of fringe players who could develop into that player but it’s very doubtful!

Sanogo (24 in January 2017)
    Campbell (25 in June 2017)

So more than likely we will look to add a striker aged somewhere between 24 and 28 who can really improve the squad.

Griezemann (26 in March 2017)
    Aubemeyang (28 in June 2017)
    Morata (25 in October 2017)
    Icardi (24 in February 2017)

29. fatgingergooner says:

Obviously if Giroud and Perez works out then no need to rush out for another striker, but in 2018 you’re starting the season with a 32 year old Giroud and a 30 year old Perez, so maybe that would be the time to upgrade if needed.

The Perez signing certainly gives us breathing space though to find or develop a world class CF.

I voted yes, I feel that is the best transfer window in many a long year. We have covered all of the areas of weakness and all that can really be argued is will the additions be a success.

Holding and Mustafi are more than adequate coverage for CB. Xhaka is a more than competent midfielder and Perez most certainly looks the part. Of the four the biggest risk was Holding and at 2m he looks like a real steal – yet another AW gem.

The dissenters will never be happy with anything that AW does and even if we win the double again this season they will continue to moan and groan about the opportunities that we have missed
    (according to hindsight and the anti Arsenal media)

This has the making of a most exciting season – I can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

I think you all know what I think – too little too late.

We needed 2 big signings, at the very least. Wenger signed 3 hell knows whom, I have not heard of any of them before they became Arsenal targets.

If at the very least those men joined in june/July – we would know then if drooling was justified and Wenger would know if anyone else is needed. And they would have time to adjust and start at full steam in August.

But no, yet again we are going to the season light and late, unforgivable. 5 points could make a big difference in May.

32. LBG says:

Can’t stop myself from following the eminent Eddie
    Thanks for the post Rasp. Definite yes from me. I see no reason why Perez might not turn out to be a new AW gem. Solidity and a future potential star in Holding, much more evident. Strength and creativity in midfield and Ozil and Sanchez firing again. Three points lost ( think given our “injuries”, the Leicester result was a good one). Let’s see how we all feel after the 24th Sept when the Chelski turn up on our doorstep.
    In the meantime, no injuries please, and good luck Jack! You will always be welcome back by me!

33. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Mustafi was at the Euro’s and injured for the start of the season so wouldn’t have played against Liverpool. We kept a clean sheet against Leicester and beat Watford without him so he wouldn’t have improved things there. As for Xhaka and Holding, they were available for all 3 games so again, no different. The only player that may have influenced our opening points salvo is Perez. Would he have made a difference? Impossible to say, but this idea that Wenger waiting until the end of the window costing us 5 points, I don’t buy it. We are not guaranteed to win any game and we lost against Liverpool and drew at Leicester because the players that played didn’t perform as well as they could. Also, why would any manager worth their salt buy a player based on having him 4 weeks earlier than another player? You’re spending £50m (inc wages) for a 5 year investment, not 5 points!

fattie – but Wenger didn’t HAVE to buy injured Mustafi. there were other defenders he could have bought IN PREPARATION for the start of the season.

Do you think Wenger has only realised that we need more players and definitely a CB and a striker on the day the transfer window opened? Then he must not only be thick as shit but also deaf, because true fans like me have been shouting about it for at least 3 years now.

I sincerely hope you will not find out that the 5 points could cost us £20m+ when we finish outside our customary top 4.

35. Thanks for the post Rasp. I voted undecided, not because I’m displeased with the new signings but I would have loved a shiny new striker. But then I often say that strikers are not really needed in an AW team as there’s so much creativity ………. we just need a few of those midfielders to score some goals.

I am, as usual, excited to see how it all pans out 🙂 More goals please.

36. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

If you need something new, do you just buy the first one that’s available? Or do you put up with your old one for a couple of weeks so you can get the one you really want, bearing in mind you are going to have it for at least the next 5 years!?

It would be more alarming if Wenger just went and bought any defender because he’s available rather than waiting the extra couple of weeks for Mustafi and Perez. People say it’s panic buying, but the true meaning of panic buying would’ve been signing Johnny Evans and Wilfried Bony just because they were available for the Liverpool game.

Eddie, I most certainly know for a fact that I’m a “true” fan as are folks, like Ant, Chas, LB, LBG, Rasp, GIE, Peaches, FGG, GIE, GB, MD89 et al. In other words the majority of AA posters – but we are obviously of a different persuasion.

Thick as shit or deaf – do not fit my definition of AW and never will – in fact I find them to be unnecessarily insulting.

I am looking forward to this season more than any the the prior 4/5 seasons but it will also be the most difficult to win as Man U, Man C and Chelsea are going to be very tough to beat as their spending has known no limits.

38. Nico says:

eddie ure talking Bony and john Evans they are not top class player i hope mustaf and Lukas Pezezi will make a difference.

39. TotalArsenal says:

Exactly Peaches – a top CF is sooo last decade. Multiple attacking options is what Wenger wanted and now finally has. Giroud, Alexis, Theo, Perez, Wellbeck can all score 15 goals a season and they all count! 😉

TA,

You can also add the following to our list of potential goal scorers.

Cazorla, Coquelin,Elneny,Oxlade-Chamberlain,Ozil,Ramsey,Xhaka
    and Iwobi

41. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed, G5, and what about 5-10 PL goals from Bel – Mustafi – BFG – Koz – Gabriel – Holding and the one who scored the winner in that FA cup game at Old Toilet a few seasons ago?

Akpom could also add a few to the tally.

I think we have just proved that we don’t need a super star striker TA. 🙂 🙂 🙂

43. TotalArsenal says:

Proved beyond any doubt, GN5 😀

I genuinely believe that Wenger did away with the super CF approach when he (had to) let RvP go to the Mancs. Wenger has always been able to find and develop super CFs from Anelka, to TH, to Eduardo and RvP. I have no doubt if he had wanted to build the attack around a super quality CF, he would have found/developed one.

Wenger now has the option to play Giroud central and play Alexis and Perez on the ‘wings’ (with Theo, Danny, Iwobi, Rambo and Ox as back up on the wing) OR he could decide to play a different system based around movement on and off the ball with Perez or Alexis in the middle and on the wing, and Theo or Iwobi playing on the other wing.

So many attacking possibilities but hey we did not spend £80m on Higuaín so it is not good enough for some… 🙂

44. TotalArsenal says:

We scored six in three games and have six different scorers already… more proof hahaha 😛

45. fatgingergooner says:

Gnabry gone for £8m. Shame, but if he wasn’t going to sign a new contract then not much point letting it run down.

46. fatgingergooner says:

Sounds like Wilshere could be heading to Bournemouth. I like the idea of him going to a team where he can play every week in his favourite position. If he stays fit then it will be a great move for him and Arsenal.

From Wiki

Stockill made his debut against Huddersfield Town on 27 April 1932 and played the last three games of 1931-32 and the first two of 1932-33, scoring in both, before being displaced by Ernie Coleman. He only played two more games for Arsenal, his final appearance coming as they beat Blackburn Rovers 8-0, in which Stockill scored. After spending all of the 1933-34 season in the reserves he moved to Derby County in September 1934. In total he played 8 games for Arsenal, scoring 4 goals.

micky – please don’t read Peaches @3:06. it is bad enough that I have already had a heart attack, I want to spare you the pain darling

Jack going on loan to Bournemouth is an excellent piece of news. We shall see if his injuries are Emirates related,

Hahaha…..

TA….. “a top CF is sooo last decade”

GN5…. “I think we have just proved that we don’t need a super star striker TA”

TA….. “Proved beyond any doubt, GN5”

Boys, I think you have just proved that the mushrooms you had for dinner were not in fact Shiitake and were more of the magic variety 🙂

51. fatgingergooner says:

Seeing Wilshere holding the Bournemouth kit makes me very pleased it’s only a loan! He’s 100% Arsenal and I really hope he comes back stronger and finds his way into our first team.

52. fred1266 says:

Agreed bournmouth is a team he can surely get game time

Chambers am a bit worried about, also is he a CB or RB for borrow since if CB can’t see him getting much game time in front of ayala

53. TotalArsenal says:

May the magic be with you, GB. ✨☄✨☄✨

54. TotalArsenal says:

Jack could help take a lot of points from our rivals 😜

Crimini are my preference GB.

chas 6.30 😀 😀

“We don’t need a striker”

He he he. I know I’m hard on Ollie, but…

All together now
    If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands
    If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands
    😀😀😀😀😀😀

The money spent over the summer is obscene. Average players going for €25m+.

I blame Margaret Thatcher

Morning Erik
    Also love the David Louise arriving pic 😀

Morning Micky. Sunny day?

Do you think Luiz is flying Ryanair?

Yes and Definately 😀

Oh god, I’m still laughing over comments yesteday, and thanks for the heads up Eddie 😀

65. LBG says:

Morning All
    “I blame Margaret Thatcher……….for everything!
    “If you’re happy and you know it……

oh my God, this is pathetic. What happened to the warring Krautz?

Eddie
    He’s either weak or he’s got hay fever from the bouquet of flowers
    😀

whimp. It is widely accepted now that it is ok for men to cry publicaly. Ten more years and pubs will have psychiatrists instead of buxom barmaids.

Oh yeah, there is already an initiative in place to encourage barbers to be supportive and to listen to weeping clients.

Dismal state of affairs.

Oh bless
    “You can also add the following to our list of potential goal scorers”

including……. Wait for it……. and…….Coquelin he he he

If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands. 😀😀😀😀

Would I have loaned out Jack? No.

Can only think the player has asked for that move, but he does need an injury free season to get his game back and maybe Bournemouth is the place to do it,

Probably helps that the future Arsenal captain is playing for the future Arsenal manager.

71. TotalArsenal says:

Yeah Evonne you have become quite redundant. 🙃😀

Micky, keep clapping: Ollie needs encouragement especially from his critics 😅

TA
    Ollie had it in spades from me in the early days then I noticed we played better football and scored more goals without him
    Perez is The Man 😀

Morning all, this comment was left on the poll ….

Nicholas Stone – 1 hour ago

Holding looks very good. Already good enough to compete for the first eleven. A superb buy and proof that we still have the scouts to find good players who are cheap.

Xhaka is also very pleasing. I love the way he sprays the ball around but so crisply. He’s a player we have needed for several seasons since Arteta’s injuries caught up with him.

Mustafi – well we have no idea yet. For the price we paid, I hope he is worth it and equally importantly, can form a viable partnership with Koscielny. Mertesacker may be captain but he’ll likely by 3rd choice when he returns next year.

With the above players hopefully we can seriously tighten the defence.

Perez is an interesting one. My guess is he did indeed pursue multiple other targets, including Lacazette. Lyons clearly asked in excess of £50m for him and Wenger decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Perez is cheap so even if he is only a one or two season stop gap solution, it doesn’t matter. We still have powder to burn next summer for the world class striker.

These do seem in short supply at the moment, and reluctant to come to the UK. I’m sure Chelsea and United would have been in for Higuain, for example, had he shown any interest in playing in the EPL.

What will constitute a successful season for me? Finishing close to 80 points and at least second. That means we’ll have beaten one of Mourinho or Guardiola.

It would be really nice if we could get at least one round further in the Champions League, too.

oh yeah, Perez!!!!

haven’t we got like dozens of video clips and longer compilations clearly showing his brilliance??????!!!!!

and an interview with him gently touching the Arsenla badge….oooohhh he is a Gunner aaaahh

what a lot of bollix. In no time we will all be weeping like that oaf Schwainsteiger

I’m thinking of doing a post on ridiculously optimistic predictions …. do any of you think you’d be able to add yours? 🙂

can you do pessimistic tomorrow?

No Eddie, that’s one you’d have to write 🙂

78. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, I feel Wenger will indeed try out Perez as CF and use Ollie as supersub. I feel he will continue with Alexis as CF for a while though. It is all exciting to me. Would love to see Perez – Giroud – Alexis with Ozil in the hole, but Iwobi/Theo – Perez – Alexis also really excites me. Whatever brings the goals! 😄

79. fatgingergooner says:

It’s ok Eddie, only 122 days until the next window. There’s some football in between but don’t worry about that. Get scouting! 😂

Let me come clean

I think we’ve had an excellent window and am really optimistic for the season

Sure I take the piss out of Ollie but I’d never do a bad in the stadium and I also know how much support he gets from the fans with that girooo chant

However……. 😀😀😀😀😀

81. TotalArsenal says:

However 🙂 🙂 🙂

Eddie, I must say psychiatrists behind the bar is a splendid idea – bit costly though. 🙂

82. TotalArsenal says:

BR

Do you live in hippie Christiania? What happened there last night?

Morning all.

Micky, glad to see you enjoyed some of the satirical blogging from yesterday 🙂

It was an interesting window for us in that we got players in all the positions we needed. We didn’t get the proven world class striker that we have been crying out for, but I will be intrigued and very interested to see Perez.

Statistically and style wise (from what I have seen) he ticks most of the boxes, but isn’t yet a proven top striker at the highest level. If Wenger has got this one right though, that he is a late bloomer, but is now primed to hit that top level form, it could be very exciting.

As many point out the top strikers are now very hard to get and are in short supply so AW can be somewhat excused. Not completely however because the requirement of a top level striker has been apparent for some 3-4 seasons so it should have been done before this more difficult TW.

84. TotalArsenal says:

HAHAHAHA 😀 😀

Forget about it, GB, he was never looking for a top CF. The jigsaw is now complete though. 😉

85. TotalArsenal says:

Enjoy the ride, GB, we will see beautiful things this season 🙂

Brilliant T.A….. and also a video from the era when AW’s tactics and handling of the transfer market were without equal 🙂

I hope you are right T.A. The handling of this TW is both a massive gamble and potentially exciting at the same time. I am fine to go along with the happy gang for the time being and sing along to Micky’s little song, although the bit about him never looking for a top CF would be a tad worrying if true.

87. TotalArsenal says:

Fair enough GB, if you really wanted a classical super CF ala Aguero I can imagine you feel a bit disappointed. I reckon Wenger will have looked at that crucial phase last season in which neither Giroud, Alexis or Theo were able to find the net enough for us to gain three points per game. Even Aguero had goal droughts and then a manager has to hope others will fill in the gaps; and despite spending tons MC also did not score enough and scraped to fourth place ahead of MU. I reckon Wenger has added Perez to help us get those extra 10-15 PL goals this season and with that make that last step forward. Well that is what I see from our beautiful balloon! 🙂

88. TotalArsenal says:

VP, some like to be in the kitty litter rather than in our beautiful balloon 🙂

89. VP of Oz says:

At least there is –
    As if we needed any more reason to laugh at Tottenham, they’ve only gone and spent £30m on a boyhood Arsenal fan who still keeps a Gunners shirt in his wardrobe.

No beautiful balloon for Moussa Sissoko, just a spud.

Just heard on talk sport that Mustafi has just picked an injury and it looks like he will be out for a while anyone else heard this.

91. TotalArsenal says:

Checked the German BBC (ZDF) and they talk about injuries to other players but not Mustafi. So it is a Sun storm in a tea cup.

Yes Tot, apparently he was down for a while but carried on playing. Having said that, I’d have been happier if the German manager had subbed him as a precaution, we all know what happens to an injury if a player is left on – twice the recovery time 😦

93. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed Rasper.

Those international games are torture for club supporters and we have to endure them during September, October and November and then again in Spring time. Wish they would all be played in May and June, after the club season…

94. fred1266 says:

Mustafi played entire game yesterday so find that a big strange

T.A, I don’t see the Perez signing quite as simply as just adding an extra 10-15 EPL goals on top of what we have. I am hoping his signing not only adds overall goals to us this season, but completely redefines our attacking proficiency and brings out the best in those players around him, who will also then increase on their own personal and our overall goal tally.

This is what can help us win the EPL and In this sense I agree with your multi points of attack and goal sharing across a few players, but maybe from a slightly different angle.

I am of the opinion that our attack has been all wrong and disjointed by developing it around Giroud, and that it didn’t compliment the other types of top players we had, which is largely why they were also not firing on all cylinders. Good impact striker is Ollie, but not one to develop your attack around at the highest level.

I am hoping that Perez’s 17 goals and 10 assists (I think) translate to 24-25 goals and 12-15 assists in our more creative attacking environment with the superior players we have playing in around him. More than this though, I hope he is a catalyst to a new more lethal attacking style that elevates everyone else’s game and goal tally.

So I am both hoping for more goals from our CF individually, but also a player that compliments and brings out the best in those around him. In other words, I want to have my cake and eat it 🙂

As such I am not disappointed at this stage because Perez looks to have the raw qualities to be that player. Classical super CF’s like Suarez, Aguero, Lewandowski, Aubemayeng would have been more guaranteed as they are already doing this, so Perez represents more of a gamble in this sense. It may be a gamble that could pay off big time though. If it doesn’t then, yes, thoughts will return to why we have not gone in big for someone proven to provide this over the last few seasons.

96. TotalArsenal says:

WOW GB, you have very high expectations of Perez and I would be very surprised if he turns out to deliver those figures. I think he has been bought to add goals and assists and if he AND Theo have a good season, and Alexis and Giroud have similar seasons as they had recently, we are on to something special. Welbeck can add further to the goal and assist tally. I reckon if you are hoping Perez will become our Suarez or Aguero you will be disappointed. The aim is to spread the goals and be unpredictable up front, and not become too dependent on the ‘one Aguero’ as much as possible.

We will have to see whether Wenger will base his attacking strategy around Ollie, Alexis or Perez this season. I really do not know, but when we play the parked bus teams at home, I know who I prefer to be in our front three: Perez/Iwobi – OG – Alexis.

As a side question, I wonder who Ozil would like as our front three? In terms of reaching big assists numbers as well as scoring 8-12 PL goals this season…

Not Ollie TA. I know many think that Ollie is the perfect foil and the ideal assists (to the supplier) striker but I don’t. I also think Ozil knows this deep down which is why he is holding out on contract extensions, to see if we upgrade effectively in the areas that allow us to become seriously competitive.

I am sure Ozil would prefer to be a key attacking part of a winning side even with reduced personal statistics than have his assists stats higher but in a side that isn’t seriously competing.

At this stage I don’t see why we shouldn’t be expecting, and looking for, someone to lead our line more in keeping with the caliber of (or more specifically in the playing style of) an Aguero or Suarez, even if not absolutely at that level.

Admitting defeat in ever finding this or implementing it would be an admission of settling for 2nd best, exactly what many fans are unhappy with. We should at least be aiming for the top.

I still hold out hope that we can get that fluid interchanging front 3, and that, in Perez, we have secured that type of striker that can move from central to wide areas and become supplier as well as goal scorer.

If he can add 7-8 to his personal seasons goal tally (from last year) and also set up the 3 players (say, Ozil Sanchez and Walcott for arguments sake) who play around him for more goals, by matching or increasing his last years assists, then we have that type of player in him. I don’t think this is unachievable with the increase in chances he will get at THOF and having better players to assist himself, even if absolute direct comparisons with Aguero or Suarez are pushing it a bit.

98. fatgingergooner says:

Giroud 7
    Sanchez 3
    Walcott 2
    Campbell 2
    Welbeck 2
    Ramsey 1
    Gabriel 1
    Gibbs 1

Özils assists last season.

99. TotalArsenal says:

I am not sure you can link a possible reluctance by Ozil to sign a new contract to the presence of OG at Arsenal, GB. I reckon that you are projecting your own views/wishes! 😀

I would have to look into the timings, but reckon that Ozil stopped ‘assisting’ when Ollie’s form dropped, and that is not just for Ollie’s goals but any goals.

My theory for years has been that Arsene’s attacking philosophy will properly materialise if and when he gets ‘another Alexis’ into the team. I reckon he was hoping that Theo or the Ox would fill the void, and I am convinced he has high hopes for Iwobi, but now that he has Perez he could have that other Alexis. We should then also see Ozil getting to his very best with options in the middle and on the wings: all three can hold on to the ball, Ollie has height, Perez and Alexis have speed and good close ball control, all can score as well as assist and defenders do not know where to look or how to defend against all the dangers. If this plans comes off now we will see an awesome attack.

But he may also go for a totally fluid attacking three and leave Ollie as our impact sub. We will see what will happen in the next few months. 🙂

100. TotalArsenal says:

Great stats there, Voice of Reason. 🙂

Oh come on “voice of reason”

Those Ollie stats of Mesut assisted goals are pathetic as well as misleading

Of course he’ll get the most as he’s the bloke what stands in front of the bloom’in goalmouth

You call them assists, I call them “in-offs”
    In other words, blast the ball hard enough at him and if the angle is right it’ll ricochet in

Ps for goodness sake don’t print the Ollie assists as the list is really short andakes him look bad and stuff

102. fred1266 says:

Lucas #9

Mustafi #20

103. fatgingergooner says:

I did wonder how many of the assists for OG are set pieces but I think it was only 2 or 3 so he was still leading in open play, which is interesting and slightly surprising. Although as pointed out, he played far more games than anyone else as the CF, so maybe not impressive at all!

Stats are great! 😂

104. TotalArsenal says:

Every 109 PL played minutes, Ollie scores or assists, and that is without being the main penalty taker – in fact did he score any penalties last season?

You want facts you get facts! 😆

105. fred1266 says:

I doubt, since Wilshire coming back to reclaim it next season

micky 🙂
    my comment has disappeared, never mind Big Brother, I will retype it.

The Wengerites would go to great lengths trying to convince us that everything is rosey at the Ems. But we know, don’t we?

Wenger out.

107. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Ha chas.
    The longer that age debate goes on, the funnier it gets.

I think Giroud was personally responsible for the appalling Brexit vote.

He must have thought that at least the Giroud-bashers would give him a rest for the first three games with him not playing and all.

110. TotalArsenal says:

The Wenger(spr)outs, will go to greater length to hang on to their melancholy. Fact is that Wenger took away all their spurious arguments by spending a lot of fecking money on a defender and an attacker and much more hahaha. 🙂

Brexit: Now I know who to blame

112. Nicholas Stone says:

Thank you for reposting my comment here! I tried to copy it and paste it but it seems you can’t select text from that screen on a mobile phone!

I really can’t fault Arsenal this transfer window. Holding was the new centre back, bought before Gabriel’s injury (and Per’s as well I think?) So Mustafi wasn’t exactly a panic buy but it seems Valencia were the ones slowing that down, from what the player has implied.

Xhaka is exactly the type of player we need in centre midfield. Mkhitaryan or Mahrez would have been great but you can’t win them all.

As for the striker, I’ve read here that we started negotiating with Perez in July. Maybe that was a precaution, testing the water kinda thing. That makes sense to me. We definitely bid for Lacazette but they said no and I would rather we didn’t waste money on a player who doesn’t add three times in value what Perez might (assuming Lacazette could have been bought for 50m+).

It’s looking ahead a bit but will the squad need a substantial amount of rebalancing in terms of ages next summer? I don’t think so. Wilshere may prove his fitness and could come back to replace Cazorla. Mertesacker has already been replaced.

So next summer we could see Wenger going all out for that elusive extremely expensive player.

113. TotalArsenal says:

Great comment Nicholas 🙂

Could it be that Wenger wanted to see whether Chambers could now fill the gap left behind by the BFG before deciding on buying a direct, ready to roll, CB in Mustafi?

Similarly, could it be that Wenger realised that Alexis will be his ‘new’ CF quite recently, and he then needed a good back up/winger on the left… and therefore bought Perez relatively late.

114. LBG says:

GoonerB
    Find myself again in agreement with your projected use of Perez. I think there is scope on occasions to see him tucked inside ( not shoehorned) up front alongside OG as a Griezmann type foil to the big (slow) man, but think he may be most effective on his own up front converting Ozil’s brilliance!
    No comment yesterday or today by press or pundits on Chelski” panic buying “Daphne Louise!!?

115. TotalArsenal says:

And Giroud scores! 🙂

116. fred1266 says:

Also great defensive work at the end of the half

117. TotalArsenal says:

I was hoping Koz would be spared

Rasp/Peaches I’ve emailed you a new post.

Here’s the thing….everyone is looking for a top class centre forward, ManUre spent a shed load of money on Pogba, so has cash to splash and in desperate need of a centre forward sign perhaps a one season wonder. Last season they spent £30m on Martial.

They both might be great signings but neither would fit the “entering his prime” Suarez/Aguero centre forward and whilst Maureen likes a big man up top I’m sure if one was available everyone would have been chasing him, simple fact is there are very few available that fit that bill.

120. VP of Oz says:

top class centre forward –

Last season, Giroud was singled out as one of the main reasons for another failed Premier League campaign by the London club. Coinciding with Arsenal’s perennial spring time slump in form, the France international endured a 15 game goal drought between January and May, leading some fans to place the blame squarely at the feet of the 29-year-old.

Tonight however, while on international duty, the striker reminded Gooners just how wrong they were.

Banishing the dubious record of having the second longest goalless streak last season, Giroud has netted his 12th goal in 13 games for the France, a phenomenal statistic that proves just how crucial he is to Arsenal and why the club never needed the likes of Alexandre Lacazette or Gonzalo Higuain to begin with.

Lovely finish from OG yesterday.

Thinking about the age debate above; in Italy they use the year of birth e.g “I am from 1990 rather than I am 26”. Confusing.

And here in DK they mess up time e.g. If the time is 3.30 Danes say, it is half 4 or 30 after 3. Takes time to get used to it

“I trust you”. What a top bloke AW is.

126. VP of Oz says:

My favourite answer was “Life is all about Happiness, Motivation and not being negative,”

VP – why doesn’t he go and lecture philosophy somewhere sunny? He is being paid millions to get his team to win trophies, not to be fecking funny.

cheers Ant! I’m glad at least one of the Vines has some sense

Morning all. Liked the Bobby morphs into Keown bit Chas, although I think Peaches may be a bit sad to see what has happened to the once apple of her eye, her main squeeze through the late 1990’s early 2000’s.

Got to go out for a bit but when I get back I am going to seriously remonstrate with all you Ollie huggers and put you all straight…..although I am now slightly confused because Chas says he was personally responsible for Brexit which may make him a hero afterall… till later.

Morning all ….