Spend, spend , spend …. has the Premier League gone crazy?

After just 3 games we have already seen the influence of new managers and the untold wealth they have had at their disposal. The only teams with 100% records are Manchester City managed by Pep Guardiola, Manchester Untied managed by Jose Mourinho and Chelsea managed by Antonio Conte. All three managers are new to their clubs and only Mourhino has Premier League experience – with Chelsea.

They are all competent managers and have managed and been successful in various different countries. Other than their success they all have another thing in common – they have all moved to clubs with seemingly endless cash availability and none of then wasted any time in proving that they are also good at spending.

Conte has already spent 120 million at Chelsea on five new recruits

Michy Batshuayi 33m, David Luiz 33m, N’Golo Kante 30m, Marcos Alonso 20m and Eduardo 4m.

Mourhino wasted no time at Manchester United and has spent 158 million

Paul Pogba 90m, Henrikh Mikhitaryan 36m and Eric Bailly 32m.

Not wishing to be outdone Guardiola has left no doubt about Manchester United’s cash reserves and his willingness to spend by setting a Premier League record in the amount of 181million on nine – yes nine new players

John Stones 47m, Leroy Sane 43m, Gabriel Jesus 27m, Ilkay Gundogan 23m, Claudio Bravo 15m, Nilito 15m, Marlos Moreno 5m, Geronimo Rulli 4m and Oleksander Zinchenko 2m.

Meanwhile at Arsenal Arsene Wenger has spent a club record of 113 million on five new recruits ….

Granit Xhaka 45m, Shkodran Mustafi 41m, Lucas Perez 20m, Takuma Asano 4m and Rob Holding 3m.

So even though we spent over 100million we were still outspent by the big three.

(The transfer amounts are all taken from the Transfermartkt .com)

It has the making of being both one of the most competitive and the most exciting seasons for several years.  Gaining one of the coveted top four positions will be more difficult than ever before. Our purchases have been very impressive but we did not manage to add an out and out super star striker which many of us felt was a must buy. Lucas Perez looks to be a superb player who is fast and tricky he has a good eye for goal plus AW has stated that he is also technically gifted. He may not be the sparkly diamond that we were hoping for but he can most certainly be described as a diamond in the rough.

Personally I’m very excited about the 2016/17 season and feel that we will gain a top four slot but what position we finish is anybodies guess.

Where do you think we will finish?

GunnerN5

142 Responses to Spend, spend , spend …. has the Premier League gone crazy?

Champions of course it is going to be a great season. Thanks for taking the time to write that. GN5.

2. LBG says:

Chas 8.36 on previous post – the best left foot of all time!

3. LBG says:

Had to identify Liam on a separate response!!!
    Champions of course! COYG

4. LBG says:

Eddie
    4th!!!! Why so high?

5. We’re doomed… doomed!

Morning all,

I am in a very pessimistic frame of mind this morning and I voted 4th – not because I don’t think AW has assembled a great team but simply because of the money the three ugly sisters have at their disposal.

For instance if we run into injury problems or find that our choices have not worked out the we will be stuck; however given the same set of circumstances the ugly sisters will simply get our their cheque books in January.

Thanks GN5. I voted third, although I would love to be more optimistic and hope to be proven wrong. I think we can pip one of those other 3 but no more than that, and and the reasons for this are not just about money for me. There are other little achilles heels and mistakes that regularly undermine us that we do tend to keep repeating rather than learn from and address

I can buy into the Perez deal only happening late because maybe AW was after Griezmann, and couldn’t move on Perez until he knew there was no chance with the other. On the other hand however only getting certain key players in later in the TW could look like procrastination again, which we have been guilty of in the past, and could arguably have cost us early season points both historically and right now.

Another area would be Arsene’s love of certain players and getting them into the squad regardless. He will have multiple options to choose from when everyone is fit and I have been far from certain over the last few seasons that he has known what his best squad is, and further is hard and ruthless enough to implement it, possibly with prior favourites or top players maybe having to ride the pine more to achieve that team balance.

Similarly I feel when certain formations or players in certain positions are not working for us we often tend to flog a dead horse too long before making the changes.

The other 3 managers look to have that slightly harder edge to them in knowing their best set up and implementing it even if it puts some players noses out of joint.

Whether some of these failings come back to haunt us again we will have to wait and see. If Arsene finds his best formation and ruthlessly implements it and Perez turns out to be an untapped gem of a striker and of the type we have been needing, then we may end up pleasantly surprised. As history is somewhat against these things I have currently plumped for third.

I would obviously never say the money factor is irrelevant GN5, but I don’t think it is everything and is too often used as a get out of jail free card to sweep other self inflicted failings under the carpet.

One has to also consider that we have more recently been the most stable of the big clubs, with a manager that has been a consistent presence, and has been developing his squad and building his vision of it towards an EPL winning squad for longer than the others.

We maybe didn’t need such an overhaul as the others did, so I feel that does offset the impact on some of the overall money spent, and our figure could easily be considered as significant as theirs in this TW, if not more so because it is adding to a more settled squad that is further on in its development.

Right while I am in a bombastic mood 🙂 let’s get something straight with all you Ollie huggers 🙂

Firstly he is a decent striker that has a place at our club. It is just that he is not a striker I believe you can develop a title winning side around. There is the difference, he is not useless but not top notch either, regardless of how many stats are thrown out there.

This is where it falls down for me because I think the inconsistency is there, and the team often doesn’t play as well with a big slow un as they do with a more mobile frontman. Just what I am seeing with my own eyes without going on whoscored.com. Stats can have anomalies. for instance Peter Crouch has a better international goal to game ratio than Giroud, Henry, Shearer, Owen, and Rooney. He is still playing so does that make him the right man for us because of these stats?

Also, every time Giroud scores or does a good nod down or flick on, it does not categorically prove that we are all wrong and have under-estimated him or been really mean and nasty to him. Loads of other players are scoring on nights and days he does. Nani got a brace last night so he must then be better than Giroud based on that line of approach.

So there it is. Good striker who is useful to us, but we need better and the stats don’t quite give the full picture of how and where he does and should fit into our attack.

End of rant.

Only kidding GoonerB – you know I love you.

You make some very valid points which I’ve never read anywhere before.

Thanks for the post, GN5.
    As you say the transfer fees are from transfermarket.
    I think they include all possible add-ons, so are a little unrealistic.

I couldn’t vote in the poll because it didn’t have as an option, either
    Don’t Know or
    Let Arsene Decide. 😆

GB,

It’s a fact that Jose, Pep and Antonio all appear to have a stricter more disciplined approach than Arsene and their overall achievements are more impressive. However not one of them would have been as successful as AW in the past 20 seasons if they had been working under the same restrictions and conditions.
    It’s more than likely that if they had been told that they had to sell in order to buy that they would have walked out.

In other words they possess different skill sets and in their case’s they need to be able to buy without restrictions in order to be successful whereas AW has the ability to achieve regardless of what has been thrown at him.

So going back to my earlier point if they run into issues they buy their way back – AW has to be more resourceful and find a way without the influx of new money.

Chas – the other category even includes those that snore through everything 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chas it’s always a mystery to me on where to get factual numbers on transfer fees so I decided to use one source for the sake of consistency. I have no reason to think that they are correct but if they aren’t at least they are consistently wrong.

😦 😦 😦

LBG – because I am very positive and think that we are still better than Tottenham and Pool

16. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers GN5 🙂

I don’t know where we will finish but we have the squad to win it and so we have a good chance. That is all I am asking for and I don’t reckon any team will dominate the league anymore for many years to come.

We are the only team with an established spine of players who now are all hitting their top years or are experienced safe pair of hands: Cech, Koz, Santi, Coquelin, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis and Giroud. Which other team has such an established spine, four of whom were in the semi finals of the Euros or in the final of the CA? That is a spine to build a team around. On top of that we have added real quality and depth with Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez. Furthermore we have experienced quality full backs x4 and centre backs x2. And there is Theo who might just have a good season and Elneny who is great to replace tired legs when the going gets tough. And Danny’s return could also give us another lift upwards. I also reckon Iwobi will further improve this season and one or two other youngsters may surprise us.

MC and MU have bought a lot but they all have to be fitted in and this will cost them points sooner or later. The Chavs have an inferior squad and a new manager and this will also sooner or later show.

I have every confidence that we can compete for the title this season and even do well in the CL, possibly last four.

17. TotalArsenal says:

GB wrote:

“Stats can be useful but don’t tell the picture in its entirety. Us purists (help me out here Micky) will look at other aspects than just the pure stats that suit the argument. Things like; how well do the other players play with him? How well do the team tend to do overall with this type of striker? Are the goals consistent across a season and convert to real points, and how often are they key goals and match winners?

This is where it falls down for me because I think the inconsistency is there, and the team often doesn’t play as well with a big slow un as they do with a more mobile frontman”

Cheers GB, if you do not provide us with stats re these statements then I can only regards them as subjective views fed by prejudice/ dislike of the type of CF Giroud is. You may ‘think the inconsistency is there’ but that does not really help with having an informed debate my friend.

The concept of a holding, enabling striker I have explained to you numerous times so no point in repeating this. The fact that Ollie is the regular CF in France’s national team, a country blessed with some of the best traditional super CFs, is proof that not just Wenger believes in what Ollie has to offer to a team. And Deschamps and Wenger are not just playing Ollie because of his impressive stats, they are playing him because they know their football… and a lot better than you and I. 😉

Time to embrace Ollie… and don’t be afraid, he won’t fancy you anyway 😀

TA,

I’m in Ollie’s corner as I believe that his overall contribution to the team is underestimated.

He make a big difference with his willingness to assist with defending and makes many critical defensive headers from corners. As a front man he holds the ball up well and has a great touch with his flick on passes and he pulls defenses all over the place to create space for others to score – all of which goes unnoticed or at least noticed and ignored.

19. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed GN5, attacking football is so much now about creating and maximising space and Ollie plays a vital role in this. Yes he can sometimes miss some good chances he really should have put away, but his overall contribution to the team and in particular our attack is very impressive. One day the Ollie CF role will be recognised as one of Wenger’s contributions to the beautiful game – it may even spark the use of the term a ‘Giroudesque centre forward…’ 😉

Chas 🙂 and some sarcasm to follow up with 🙂

TA, your 2.37….based on that sentiment we should walk the league leaving all in our wake. With the best spine, all at the right age, a superior squad to Chavs and with Man C and Man U all having bought too many compared to us and likely to drop points because of this there really are no excuses to us not winning the league. So who or what do we blame if it doesn’t happen, what with us being so superior in all these aspects? 🙂

In all seriousness, and not trying to be confrontational ( I will leave that to the Giroud debate 🙂 ), you may be right in this. Unfortunately if it goes a bit awry there is really only one place to lay the blame.

and on to Ollie 🙂 ……You are right to a degree TA. I am not overtly keen on the type of CF Giroud is for us, but once again I would reiterate that this is only based on him as a 1st choice option and not as consideration as an impact sub. I don’t dislike him just dislike the idea of him being considered our 1st choice number 9 again.

Am I prejudiced? Depends on how you look at it. If 4 years of observing him, how we have played with him, and how well we have done over that period, in order to form my conclusions is considered prejudice then so be it.

He may well suit other teams who play a different type of attacking game but one of Wenger’s hallmarks is his ethos as to how the game should be played.

AW developed and became known for a fluid quick interchanging attack. Now if he still adheres to that then to me Giroud seems to be the type of striker that is the antithesis to this.

This theory that he pulls defences all over the place is a myth as far as I am concerned. I don’t think he does at all. His general lack of mobility means he will predominantly occupy the central area and not actually move that much away from there. That is not pulling a defence all over the place. Aguero and Suarez pull defences all over the place by spinning off defenders and receiving the ball in space.

That is what forces defenders to go with them and pull them out of position where they then often become supplier to the wing forward who has ghosted into the vacated CF position. Sanchez rarely has the opportunity to do this when Giroud occupies that area with very little movement away from it, thus keeping it a very congested area.

What he is is a physical handful to a defender. He generally receives balls with back to goal, arms akimbo like a Boeing 747, leaning in and holding off 1-2 CD’s. Fairly often he ends up on his arse anyway flapping his arms and looking at the ref in a slighted way. I genuinely think a lot of possession is lost with balls coming into him, and it is actually this that is more overlooked or ignored. As such I also see this feeling of terrific hold up play as a bit of a myth.

I think that same sentiment applies to his flicks, that they don’t come off nearly as much as people seem to credit him with. The good ones are remembered while all the ones gone astray aren’t. Personally I think it has gone full circle and he is now over-estimated rather than under-estimated by a biased focus on certain stats, and those flicks and hold ups that work while overlooking the many times they don’t.

TA on a final note, if the holding striker like Giroud was so brilliant, and represents such a genius stroke by Arsene, why then have we not been so much better with it. The last few years we seen flashes of brilliance in keeping with a classic Wenger side, but have far too often looked very laboured and disjointed in attack on many occasions.

This to me just doesn’t tally with this being a system with a striker that one day the whole of the upper echelon of the footballing world will wake up to and change to, and refer to Arsene as a genius for discovering it.

Sorry to bore you all, I will go forth and hibernate for a while.

21. TotalArsenal says:

All good arguments, GB, and I can see where you are coming from to some extent. Look, let’s meet up in London this season before, during or after a game and discuss this further aided by some Dutch courage 🙂

Have a good weekend AAers. 🙂

GB,

Not bored at all you are always passionate in defense of your point of view.

You are right in that Ollie does not “pull defenses all over the place” but he most certainly makes clever runs that pull defenders away with him leaving an opening in the middle.

I believe that you are doing him an injustice and that given the right partner up front he will be able to emulate his international form in the PL.

Cheers TA, I would look forward to that. I am not nearly as long winded in real life….just don’t ask Chas to confirm that 🙂

GN5, I quite like Ollie as he brings something different. Title winning squads need someone like him in it to provide that mix and back up. I always use Solskjaer as an example who I am sure enjoyed his career at Utd even if not first choice and was a key contributor for them.

Getting him the right partner? That would suggest we should be looking to build the team around him. If it isn’t working out so well with Sanchez and Ozil around him are we to go the route of changing them to accommodate Ollie, or should we provide them with a number 9 that compliments their game more?

Anyhow good debate, off out so see you all later. Will be at the FFB tomorrow around 12.00 for the legends game if any are around.

GB,

I was thinking more of a 4-4-2 set up –

Belerin – Koscielny – Mustafi – Monreal

Sanchez – Xhaka – Elneny – Ozil

Giroud – Perez

Arsenal 2016/17 Players

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

1 Armando De Abreu, Gabriel
    20 *Ramsey, Aaron James
    21 Sanchez, Alexis
    22 Sanogo, Yaya
    23 *Walcott, Theo James
    24 *Welbeck, Daniel
    25 Xhaka, Granit

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)

1 Akpom, Chuba
    48 Toral, Jon-Miquel
    49 Tormey, Nathan Alexander
    50 Virginia, Joao
    51 Willock, Christopher
    52 Willock, Joseph George
    53 Zelalem, Gedion

Thank you for yesterday’s post GN5.

I have a feeling there will be a very exciting and close end to the season. If we are wishing 6 points of the leaders at the turn of the year we will be Champions.

Almost 80 players! No wonder our wage bill is so high.

Gunpowder in the bass drum
    So?

Thanks GN5, and any posters I didn’t thank whilst on The Continent
    Enjoyed all

Morning Erik

Ha ha ha, just seen Chas’ twitter vote at 3:36

Morning all. Not much time today. Brief stint at work then dash to the Ems via the FFB..

GN5. I am not overly keen on the 4-4-2 for us purely because it doesn’t play to the strengths of the type of players we have been getting and building around. I always think in a 4-4-2 the wide players have to remain more traditional wingers rather than how our current wide players play as wing forwards that can dovetail with the number 9.

The thing that stands out for me are that with the 4-4-2 system is that both Ozil and Sanchez will be far less influential by being more tied to the wide positions. This will far over-ride any potential benefit we get from pairing Giroud with Perez.

Anyway tata for now.

Morning all,

GB my assumption in 4-4-2 is the the outside men would still interchange with the front men.

33. Who’s watching the footie? A lot of grey hair on show. Grandma duties have prevented me from going 😦

I am. Great to see the old fella’s

35. Aren’t they wonderful, gutted I’m not there. A couple of good chances missed. I hope Bobby scores

36. Kanu hat trick and Bobby scores too 🙂

37. Pires and Cygan played 90 mins

38. Thanks GN5

Spend spend spend, yes the world has gone crazy. People think money can buy you anything these days. Look at Morinio? Now he’s loaded he thinks he can put off his much needed psychiatric treatment? By the time that geezer gets help he will believe Arsenes sleeping with his wife and that he communicates to Rooney in Ugandan.

Can money buy you love? Of course not. A couple of years ago I was in competition with this rich bloke for a very attractive bird. I went out of my way, booking a holiday in Majorca I got those Ryan Air flights with extra leg room and made sure the hotel was a minimum fifteen minute uphill walk to the beach. This rich bloke had a yacht on the south of France. I won out. The last time I spoke to her as she was holidaying with him on his yacht, she told me she loved me. To celebrate I booked some 2nd class euro star tickets to Paris. Had to cancel them when it clashed with her marriage to the rich geezer, so will re book when she’s free.

Every ones so greedy these days GN5. I bought my youngest daughter her first car last week. Cost me a couple of grand. I had the money in cash, tax evasion reasons, and as I was handing it over to the dealer I never liked the look on his face. His expression was “I’m going to use this money to kill someone” so we both held on to the money for an awkward time until I asked “your planning a murder, probably a mechanic who screwed your filter. Don’t do it, you look a bit to thick to get away with it”.

My daughter started saying “let go of the money dad” so I did. The dealer looked really relieved, probably in the knowledge that If it weren’t for me, he could never touch his gear stick again without feeling guilt.

This is why we will win the league. Unlike our rivals, when we spend money we do so professionally and fairly. Nothing insane, buying a birds affection, or murdurous intent about the Arsenal.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

39. VP of Oz says:

Terry, brilliant again. Your insight into the human condition is second to none.

As for Wilshere going on loan, now it becomes clear, its so Ozil can have the number 10 and he signs a new contract.

40. There are some great pics on Twitter about the Legends match but this one is hugely enjoyable

41. Martin Keown had a bit of fun apparently asking AW to put him on in the first half.

42. Cygan always a hero of mine ( before Senderos came along and stole my heart )

43. Bobby Pires, now that’s a Legend

44. Ok, I’ll stop in a minute but someone’s just posted this 😃😃

46. Missed that one 😉 morning 🙂

Morning

Where’s Shard? 🙂

50. What’s going on with Mark Halsey? Gary Neville is going nuts on Twitter!!!!

Peaches
    Thanks for the Old Gits pics. Superb. Wish I’d been there. Great day for GB

Morning Chas

OMG, did Halsey really say that? That is criminal, it puts football in a completely different light – we are watching a staged show rather than a life event

Urge anyone to watch the highlights Peaches put up at 10:38

Off to watch second half. Really great viewing

Kanuuuuuuuuu, and the piece of resistance, the Freddie/Bobbie goal

Morning Eddie

One wonders about the mental state of Halsey. HIs comments are either taken out of context or the ravings of a man desperate for the spotlight.

I never trusted him, didn’t like the cut of his jib.

oh, 2 of my comments aren’t showing, net problems

hi micky. I guess I am too competitive to get excited about a friendly. Happy for you and peaches as your team is winning 🙂

Raddy – what if Halsey is telling the truth? That probably is the biggest scandal in footy EVER.

Raddy – not sure why you doubt it. It would explain some bizarre decisions made by the refs and no retrospective actions taken by the FA.

What if we were right all along by suspecting Webb being on the ManU payroll, indirectly via the refs association?

where is that Steve Palmer, he loved a conspiracy theory 🙂

Morning all. Very enjoyable day yesterday despite the weather. The goal from Bobby was a proper rolling back of the years, and the work of Freddie was brilliant. Bobby’s finish and Freddies burst of pace meant it wouldn’t have looked out of place in the current EPL.

My mates were impressed that I called it in advance that I thought Kanu would be key.

Spent half of the game trying to explain to my daughter about what an Arsenal legend is relative to the current players complete with questions like “How old do you have to be to be a legend?”…..”Are any of them 80?”

I also got told off for applauding the Milan players off…”We only clap the players in red Daddy”.

A belated ‘well done’ to GN5 for his splendid ‘Spend’ Post. 🙂

As a corollary to GN5’s Post, we all know that for the last 3 or 4 years Wenger has had an annual bashing for leaving everything until the last day/minute even when that has not always been true, like this summer.

Occasionally, where that bitching has not caused enough fuss and nonsense, the moaners’ tactic has changed and Wenger has instead, or as well as, been accused of dithering or dawdling over completing much longed for transfers.

Those with long whiskers or now lacking hair, aka the old hands on AA, 🙂 may remember my extreme irritation, over a number years, with this type of ignorant abuse of the manager.
    He is fallible, as are we all, but sometimes the abuse ……

Ignorant? Yes. These people just choose not to listen when it is explained that he is not the author of these delays and the timing of the transfer bids, or the price offered for players – and it cannot be denied that Arsenal do seem to phaff about in getting into bids, or then take ages to complete them, but despite Wenger taking one for the team, and not complaining he is only marginally responsible.
    The problem lies elsewhere.

An agent/owner of one of the biggest players’ agencies has recently released a book where he has explained the basics of how the transfer system works in the modern era – and it does not always make for good reading – but below is my precis of some of the book.

Without question, Arsenal are an example of how business and sport are two sides of the coin where sport is involved, and fans often find that difficult to understand, or accept.

Arsenal, under Stan Kroenke, are an example of a typical American sports corporation run for profit. And because of that it should not be underestimated just how big is the influence on player recruitment is by a company called StatDNA — a Chicago company Kroenke bought four years ago. This company was originally used in baseball to analyse player performance, a practiceThat is quite commonplace in the US, and is now used to buy football players.

The StatDNA company owns a warehouse in Cambodia full of player files and stats. That means every football player on the planet. They crunch every conceivable number relating to every footballer. Examples of these analyses are ‘Hot Streak Bias versus Confirmation Bias’; if the left-back attacks and creates “x” scoring chances, how many scoring chances “y” does he allow the opposition by pushing on?” Does “x” outweigh “y” or not? And so on.

Every potential Arsenal signing is assessed this way — and via similarly complex financial modelling. This approach is why Arsenal often take so long to act in transfer windows, or manage to make quixotic, and over-literal bids such as ‘£40,000,000 + £1’, because the player’s legal contractual clause said ‘any bid over £40m” to buy Luis Suarez’ contract, as an example.

In addition to agreeing a transfer fee with the other club – player contract negotiations can be very complex, and can explain why, for example, Arsene has a deserved reputation of bringing players on from the bench in the 60th minute. And the reason is that contracts are configured, not just with the basic salary, but also with tricky bonuses.
    Bonuses for playing, bonuses for times of playing, bonuses for winning, smaller bonuses for drawing et seq.

Some reports get to the media saying someone’s on £100k a week. He probably isn’t. He is more likely on £60k and then there will be bonuses of £30k if he’s in the starting line-up, £20k if he comes on after 60 minutes, or a bag of toffees for carrying the teams bags. [No I am just kidding on that last one]. 🙂

The criticism Wenger has come in for is based on his corporate loyalty, which makes him stand by while ‘the transfer analysis system’, beloved of Stan the Man, grinds out the data.
    Basically AW lets the system play out and inevitably the somewhat cumbersome methodology slows down his transfer activity, with the resultant howls from the fans who do not understand.
    But Wenger just takes it.

Some of us are involved in the business of statistical data, and that is all very well and good, but what stats cannot do is work out what makes a human being – a player- tick.
    How does the club calculate a players motivation, his capacity to improve, his personality, his private life, and so on?

We all know that football is a business — but as well as a profit making vehicle for the owners, it is also a people business with all the problems that implies.

Have a good day, peeps. 😀

RA. Thank you. A fine explanation which even a financial dullard can understand.

Morning all,

Hi Eddie,

Does this comment mean that Arsenal is no longer your team – have you switched to Spurs?

“hi micky. I guess I am too competitive to get excited about a friendly. Happy for you and peaches as your team is winning”

Terry,

Another fine comment at 8:06 pm yesterday.

I don’t know how you are able to weave such incredible stories around a post or comment it’s a real talent. Keep them coming my friend as they are always a joy to read.

A superb comment RA it really shows just how AW is hand cuffed – but I also think that he would only relish the data as it’s right up his alley. It takes of of the “feel” and “emotion” out of a buy and puts a greater weight on factual data – if used properly it’s a great tool for a manager to have.

The sad thing is that the disillusioned minority will read it with “blind eyes” 😦 😦 😦

GN5 – yes and no. I cannot decide which team to support, Spurs because they are local or red Mancs because they are going to win the league this season. Decisions, decisions….

Eddie,

You must be possessed by some form of evil football devil – I would suggest that you look into having an exorcism to rid yourself of such ghastly thoughts 😦 😦 😦

I’m sure that other AAers can give you some sage advice.

GN5 – I am only joking 🙂 I could not support Spurs, of course it is ManU for me 🙂

Only half joking ?

Gdansk Red 4 Lyf @poznancasuals

Flipping heck, just imagine the thought of the poznan casuals with Eddie being the ‘sensible, pacifist casual’.

Me, dark alleys, them. Hmmmmmmmm

….. with their meeting place being the Slurpy Golonka

Is everyone watching Fat Sam’s England?
    Soz.

yeah, I am. Someone has to support this country

you. me. will never be in a dark alley at the same time. don’t you worry about that.

Rooney looks good, lost weight, some great passes

Still looks like a potato

5.43 Phew!

Fat Sam nearly had a climax when that free kick routine nearly came off.
    Excuse the pun.

80. I’m watching, I said in the first half that Skirtl wouldn’t finish the game 😉

Hmm, Slovakia down to ten with Skeletor sent off.
    Game should open up now.

82. I think Skirtl kind of had it in for Kane

Dele is coming on. 🐔

6.19
    Why wouldn’t you?

‘Lovely’ from Glenda

It’s coming

what potatoe, rooney plays for ManU

Theo Theo Theo

Dan Quayle

Theo Walcott, total miscue………

Theo looking dangerous.

P
    Are you watching with baby spuds?

theo looking dangerous ha ha ha ha 🙂 I love your dry sense of humour

oops, theo does look dangerous 🙂

Disallowed incorrectly, surely?

Hahahaha

Fat Sam’s celebration almost made me want to call him ‘Big’.

to be fair, Slovakia were the worse team of the two. England deserved the win.

I actually think that Fat Sam might be good for the job. He is what he is, but he is a man’s man. Not shaggy Swede, or false teeth McLaren, or vely nice Wroy. Yep, Fatso can deal with the prima donnas English football is studded with. Cannot judge him after 1 game, give him 20+ years and as long as the team gets to the semis – the job is his, no questions asked

99. TotalArsenal says:

Sounds like you had a good footie experience with your daughter, GB. Great comment. 😀⚽️

Eddie. Support PSG, lots of good looking chaps, a cool kit, great city which is easily reached by Eurostar and best of all, a win almost every week.

Was lucky enough to have recorded the England game. Watched the first 10 mins at normal speed, then fast forwarded. What a pile of poo.

England deserved the win due to their better possession and attacking intent but really …. is that the best the country can offer?

102. TotalArsenal says:

And a great comment by Redders. Hope the Wenger Sprouters are reading.

103. TotalArsenal says:

After Brexit it is, BR 😀

Couldn’t help but think that Sam is the perfect face of Brexit

Love a face plant

Morning all, am I the only one to think that it was a decent England performance and that actually Sam is probably the right man for the job. At least he will establish a style and the players will know what is expected of them. You cannot doubt his commitment, he always wanted the job and his desire to do well is clear. He also showed he will encourage creativity by playing Stones, bringing on Ali and allowing Rooney a free role.

The main negative of the game was the OSW Kane 🙂

Talking of passion … why wasn’t this guy playing for the legends …

108. VP of Oz says:

Ian immediately takes his cap off – manners maketh man

He looks genuinely shocked VP, you’ve gotta love the IWWW

110. VP of Oz says:

Rasp, his sincere affection is quite touching. I like him even more.

111. VP of Oz says:

and yes, why wasnt he playing?

I never understood why AW didn’t bring him on for just a couple of minutes in that last FA cup final.

BR.
    No you are not the only one who thinks that. Fat Sam is the right man for the job. I wrote that exact view on here just before he was appointed. Every manager up until now has tried to get that team to play like Barcelona. Big mistake. He will not be swayed by favourites and when the bus is required who better than that man to call it in. It won’t be pretty but we might get further than we have done in a long time.

Whoops. Just realised it was Rasp not BR. My desk top is in the menders so I am trying to write on a phone.

I agree about Fat Sam. Best man for the job

Sadly, the idea of football as entertainment is just a nostalgic memory.

and so say all of us…………………

I feel so sorry for any mugs who chose to support the cave-dwellers. So many false dawns.

AW gets mugged for not winning the league since 2003/4 a mere 12 seasons.

The spuds last won the league in 1961 and the FA Cup in 1991 – now that deserves a good mugging – what a laugh 🙂 🙂 🙂

120. LBG says:

Rasp
    Fat Sam is probably the best man for the job, but it was a pathetic performance mirroring all that was wrong about England’s performances in the Euros. No dynamism until Aili came on and then it was against 10 men. Can the best players in England open up a four five double bank from an average at best European team. No!

121. VP of Oz says:

Pires said about Wenger: “He spent a lot of money. Not like Man United or Man City, but he chose good players with good quality.

“I think some players like Xhaka or Mustafi can help this team. Because actually the team is really good, the quality is unbelievable. Maybe they need more confidence, but I believe in Arsenal this season.

“I believe always in this team and this squad and of course in Arsene Wenger. I know a lot of fans are particular about Arsene.

“But I think the quality is there. This is my opinion, but when you see all the names at Arsenal, the quality is unbelievable. Believe me, because sometimes I’m training with the guys, and the team is very, very good.

“We need maybe a bit of luck for this season, and I hope less injuries.”

Less injuries – that would be good

Morning All

I missed the CL draw. Just seen teams while scanning fixture list. What a load of rubbish.

My dream away team, Zenit, don’t appear to have bothered entering at all!

We haven’t had a new post on Perez

Shall I?

Micky. I know. I was hoping for a trip to Copenhagen 😉

Copenhagen????

Now that’s blow a whopping great hole in your purse

I have written a post but it is not time sensitive and we could use some Didit Wisdom

Alright, but I’m on school run, so expect words by 9 or something