Do Arsenal Supporters Smell Different?

A fairly easy win against Watford really and a win that was rightly expected; if it had gone the other way though the knives, as we all know, would have been out and sharp, very sharp. This possibility was obviously anticipated by Arsene who wisely held conformation of our two new signings back until after the game. It never hurts to add good news to a good win but it would have been a life saver for him had we gone and done something as stupid like lose.

I was fortunate enough to get a ticket, although, it was amongst the home supporters. All my in laws are Watford season ticket holders; they usually make themselves scarce when this game comes around and I come begging for a ticket but this time I got lucky, someone they knew was on holiday and so I got the nod.

Watford supporters are a bit like Scots, when they find out that you have one in the family they immediately warm to you. I know this because my girlfriend’s mother was a Scot and I saw this happen on a few occasions, as soon as my girlfriend mentioned that her mother was Scottish they were offering to buy her a drink in preparation for a long chat about the auld country. At the same time they were never quite sure what to make of me or what I was thinking which was just as well as most of the time I was considering what a wise decision it was to have built a wall between our two countries.

The same is true when I meet Watford supporters; they are a bit shy and hesitant in letting on which team they support especially after I have mentioned that I support Arsenal but as soon as I say that all my in laws are Watford season ticket holders I am immediately accepted. This doesn’t stop me thinking though that a wall could have been built a lot further south.

I am of an age that going to games at a few remaining clubs and sitting in the away end still holds a certain amount of concern for me all due to a history that is probably well out of date. For example, as much as Tottenham – Arsenal is my favourite game of the season and I love going there I find the idea of sitting amongst them uncomfortable to put it mildly. Not so with Watford though, I always got the feeling that they are victims of supply and demand; that’s to say, if there had been more season tickets available at Arsenal they would all be turning up to the Emirates week in and week out.

I didn’t know where I would be sitting but in the event that the seat was behind their goal which could have been a tad tricky should they score I wore my yellow top to blend in a bit. However, as it turned out there was no need for concern as I was in the family enclosure and that couldn’t have been more civilised if they had brought their nans along with them and actually thinking about it some of them did. It was refreshing to be around people who just wanted to get behind their team: one nil down, no despair around me, no calling for the manager’s head, two nil down, no screaming for the club to spend some money, three nil down and not one “c” word, not even an utterance under the breath, just love, support and encouragement.

Interesting comparison with the Arsenal fans who until Watford scored were in fine voice and so they should being three nil up but when the home side got one back you could have heard a pin drop in the away end; the concern was tangible even from where I was sitting.

I have to say that it was easier getting up to applaud the Watford goal being three up than had we been three down, although, I was bit late in getting to my feet, I forgot for a split second where I was and what I was supposed to do, I got a couple of unusual looks for the moment I was still in my seat longer than anyone else but this was rectified after I was up and clapping.

It crossed my mind that they might be able to smell that I was an Arsenal supporter; do we smell differently? I never anticipated that I might be in danger if they found out but it would have been a bit embarrassing. Anyway the game went on, we survived the mini Watford come back and with five minutes left, when it became apparent that we were not going to mess this one up, the Arsenal fans found their voices again.

I made my way to the Red Lion which is the only pub opposite the ground, flashed my Watford season ticket which allowed me to get in, gave it back to a couple of family members and made my way back home, a happy bunny having had a very enjoyable afternoon.

125 Responses to Do Arsenal Supporters Smell Different?

ey?? smell different?? i’d better read this post

Excellent, LB, cheers.

Tottingham fans definitely smell differently.

Interesting to heaar your comments about the away fans.
    I had a conversation on twitter about the away fans with people saying how great they were.
    Nothing to do with an early goal and a 3-0 half-time lead then!

3. VP of Oz says:

All this talk about panic buys. How is that?
    My definition of a panic buy is –
    How much for John Stones?
    $50mil you say.
    No Way!
    OK, $50mil it is.

vs. Mustafi
    $50mil
    How about $15mil
    No, you wont sell.
    Ok, lets settle on $35mil as we’ve just got Holding for $2mil.
    Deal!

Brilliant post, must be the best so far in 2016! Thank you very much LB!

I am still laughing about the wisdom of building the wall between Scotland and England 🙂 This is really funny. I happen to like the Scotts, don’t understand your opinion of them, but I am sure you know better.

Watford is an ugly place, but friendlier than London. And the fans are fantastic – no chance of winning anything yet they go week in week out, proud and supportive. Yep, better fans than our mob.

And as for Wenger keeping the good news till the end of the game – boy, if he worried that we were going to lose to Watford then things are worse than I even imagined.

Anyway, great great post, off to read it again.

5. lewis says:

Might be the remainder of ” The Great smell of Brut ” that used to hang over the North bank under the roof at Highbury.

Excellent tale from the Arsenal mole.

Chas is right, totts smell like sewers for the obvious reason and Leeds fans smell of underarm sweat, chip fat and fags 🙂

I also have strong family connections with Watford via my cousins who live in the manor.

My cousin works for the club, Luther Blisset is her partner would you believe. He’s a lovely guy – rather shy and modest.

Chas, thanks for the widgetry, good to see we are already one league position higher than after 3 games last season :).

The idiot pundits are already writing us off for the title – do they never learn?

Hi VP, although I’m delighted with the (imminent) arrival of Mustafi, I have to say I have been mightily impressed by Holding. The player who should be worried is Gabriel as I’d make Holding 3rd choice CB. He’s coming on very quickly and I think will eventually be a better player than Stones who seems to love himself too much.

9. I’d hold off on the Holding love-in just yet. Remember how Chambers looked after his first few games? We will probably not see Holding in anything other than cup matches once Gabriel comes back. Looks a prospect though. Thinking about it the League Cup side could be exciting to watch if we don’t loan all the fringe players out. JRA, Gnabry, Holding, Bielik, Willock, Akpom, Zelalem, Martinez, Iwobi. I hope some of these guys make it because there is some serious talent there.

Great article btw. I reckon a lot of our supporters do smell of something…..FEAR. Some are scared that we will get left behind by the big spending clubs and therefore call for any type of spending and even a change of manager in the hope it will propel us to the top of the league, whilst others are scared of change and worry that we will slide backwards once Wenger leaves and fear it could be a long time before we get back to the top of the table.

Hi FGG, I think that is just general supporter paranoia – common to all clubs.

Maybe Arsenal fans have a higher tendency towards introspection – we do beat ourselves up a bit.

As regards Holding, it could go either way. I think he is better equipped than Chambers to be a top CB – and don’t forget the TA example. It doesn’t look like he’ll get a run of games unless we have another significant injury to a CB.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a first choice of a Mustafi/Holding CB pairing in a couple of season’s time.

Rasp – I am an idiot too. I wrote us off for the title too. Both Mancs and chavs are doing what Leicester did last year – every single point counts. To lose 5 points right from the start is criminal.

I predict the highest ever points race in EPL with red Mancs winning the title.

Raddy – you are disgusting, nobody smells any different you snob 🙂

Eddie
    Leicester had three draws and one defeat in the first 7 games last season. You do talk utter tripe some times.

Oh and we lost to Watford at home in the FA Cup last season, so defeats do happen; it’s football for pete’s sake.

13. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

I think you are right that Arsenal fans seem to worry more than most, but maybe that’s because we have more to lose? If a team that finished 8th last season drops to 10th then it has very little impact, but if we drop off slightly then that drop could have a big impact in that if we finish 5th then we are longer in the CL. Something we’ve been used to since Wenger arrived and something that would possibly show the end of an era, even though it’s only 1 place.

As for Holding, I think he has everything needed but it could be a long wait before he breaks into the team and than long wait could easily see him go backwards if not playing regular football.

…. and Raddy’s not been on yet.

Apart from that your last comment was packed full of good sense and wisdom. 🙂

I’d like to know who this Pete is – he’s responsible for a lot of grief 🙂

He’s the element of luck in any football match, Rasp.
    The best team doesn’t always win because of Pete.

fred – get out

chas – you talk utter tripe mate! In the first 6 games of last season they only lost to West Ham. They beat Sunderland, beat Villa, drew with Spurs and Stoke. you div

Their score is first, you pillock.
    They beat West Ham 2-1.
    When teams get the same score i.e. 1-1,1-1 and 2-2 it means that the game finished as a draw. 😆

I thought it was Pete as in compete – or incompetent 🙂

I don’t care about La Cazette now, Perez is 10 times better 😆

23. VP of Oz says:

Rasp/FGG, I’m a Holding fan and hope he’s universally acclaimed as better than Stones etc. Mind you I was also a Chambers fan back in the day as well. Not sure what happened there? Also Chambers cost $16mil to Holdings unbelievable $2mil and yet Holding is getting the game time. I think Wengers right, the price does not maketh the player. I also think (hope) that there is still a big transfer coming on the final day aka Ozil like (I’m still saying Griezmann). But I won’t be crying if it doesn’t happen.
    I’m over the media reporting as well, from Merson to Piers Moron to ESPN and even the type of fan that Chas posted on ArseFanTV. I just want to enjoy the season come what may. Its an exciting season. Big coaches, big players. I can’t remember when the last time we had so much diversity and competition in the league.
    Its a season to be enjoyed, ring the bells (let them break), put out the holly and plum pudding/wine

Good viewpoint VP.

If we get Mustafi and Perez we will have a very strong squad capable of beating anyone in the EPL.

25. fatgingergooner says:

Chambers to Boro on loan. Very pleased with that. Hope he plays

you are a pillock!! you said they had rubbish start last season

28. fred1266 says:

35.1m we will surely sell him

29. TotalArsenal says:

I am sure Arsenal supporters used to smell of gunpowder. Now that is an awesome smell to scare your opponents with! 🙂

Lovely post covering the awkwardness of being with the home crowd in an away game. It is a lot, lot easier when we are winning. I remember having a single ticket at Norwich and we played really bad and lost 1-0. I had all this frustration and could not let it out till after the game. And I hate the colour yellow and green on shirts and around necks – makes me sick. 🙂

30. fatgingergooner says:

Got to say the third kit is different gravy. Wasn’t sure at first but certainly better than that Gold shite last season.

LB. Really good read, thank you.

I used to enjoy my trips to Vicarage Rd, it remains (I think) a proper family club. Very different to the corporate experience at the Emirates.

Do you think it is just Watford fans and Scots who share the “family” welcome?

32. wally says:

Didn’t see the game as the last 5 days have been very hectic. My daughter is off to grad school and had to be moved down to NYC for the next couple of years and we stopped along the way in Portland to see my sister and parents who were up from Arizona.
    Much needed really as I was getting wound up about all this.
    Good win.
    Glad to see the business get done.
    Wasn’t overly impressed with the spanish kid but found the article intriguing. I’ve felt at times that giroud was better served playing with a partner up front. The WC has reinforced that notion and the description of the spanish kid sounds intriguing. Similar to griezmann eh? I’m still from Missouri on him but we’ll see where it goes.
    And good business to get the german kid in. A national team member for the germans isn’t to be sniveled at is it.
    Let’s hold it abeyance for a bit and see what comes of it.

Some Arsenal fans smell distinctly of plum wine

Wally. “I’m still from Missouri on him”. No idea what this means but I like it a lot.

ha ha Raddy 🙂 and that was before he was brewing

I smell of roses, always 🙂

36. fred1266 says:

Hi everyone have a quick and, oyter card can be used any part of London right, just realized there are many parts of London like central east etc

Raddy,

Then you would be one of the people that fit the description of “I’m from Missouri on that” – Or, “I have no bloody idea what you are talking about”.

Wally – where do you live,?

I logged in late today but I really enjoyed your post LB.

My in laws are all Liverpudlians,\ and they are both great people and fanatical Liverpool supporters, I was always able to go to games with them when Arsenal were in town and standing among their supporters was never a problem for me – they were always good natured.

see what you’ve done now? Gene Wilder died.

40. Ant says:

Fred is my favourite AA blogger of all time

41. wally says:

BR,
    Missouri is know as the ‘show me’ state.
    IOW talk is cheap, let’s see what ya’ got.
    Hopefully he’s been a hidden gem that’ll slot right in, make us all get on our feet.

42. wally says:

GN5,
    I live in Toronto.

43. fred1266 says:

What did he do this time

44. fatgingergooner says:

Wilshere out on loan? Interesting. We currently have Coquelin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Cazorla, Elneny, Özil, Wilshere for 3 positions, and given that Özil is guaranteed 1 of them when fit, that means 6 midfielders for 2 positions. I suppose a couple of them are going to struggle for games, but given that he has/can play wide if desperate then I’d rather he stay. Still, I can understand why he’d be allowed to leave given the talent we have in there right now.

45. fred1266 says:

On the wings never suited Jack, can’t see him starting in front Ramsey once fit

46. VP of Oz says:

Rasp, with Chambers and now Wilshere maybe going out on loan, I think Wenger is taking your advice – The challenge will be to find the right blend and balance of players to form the most effective team.

Another great rides off into the sunset…

Imagine Gene Wilder as Eddie …. 😀 😀

Morning VP, I agree, loans for Wilshere and Chmbers are a very wise move. More than anything, we need to see if Jack can remain injury free for a season. If he had a bit more savvy he would adapt his style of play to avoid unnecessary injury. At his best he would be starting most games for us, but like the Ox, I get the impression he is trying too hard.

Morning Raddy, great shame about GW. Like the pythons, he was the source of a lot of my boyhood pet phrases 🙂

51. VP of Oz says:

Rasp, I’m convinced that Ox needs to change his hairstyle. His hair is trying too hard.

52. fatgingergooner says:

Gnabry being sold to Bayern! Suppose if he’s in last year of contract and won’t re-sign then not much we can do. Hope this ones not true though as he looks like a player who could really break through in next couple of years.

I still think that there could be another surprise departure. Chambers and Wilshere are the obvious but I just get the feeling that there could be another.

Well apart from Chambers, Wilshere and Gnabry I still think there could be another.

What have the Romans ever done for us…………..

Gibbs LB? Ospina?

We will have to fight to keep both of those if offers come in because we need them, maybe Oxlaide-Chamberlain?

Well if we buy this Paraguayan Miguel Almiron we’ve been linked with I think you may be right about The Ox

The quality and sense behind these new signings makes me wonder whether Arsene wants to go out with a bang, or whether he’s laying the foundations for a new era and a new contract??

Morning all, great post LB.

I haven’t seen the game yet but good to get a convincing win under our belts. I am looking forward to the season but try as I may I cannot get overly positive about it at this stage. I really can’t see an EPL title come to THOF this year and AW going out with a bang. I hope to be very wrong.

I am with Eddie that the 2 Mancs and Chavs are all on 9 points and already we are 5 behind. We can dress it up as much as we want (that we have had a far harder start e.t.c, e.t.c) but I don’t fully buy into this. It looks more like they are grinding out the early results until full fitness and fluidity kick in while we mostly rely on having full fluidity and fitness to get our wins. I think that has been a factor with Arsene’s Arsenal for a few years, that any level of fatigue, tiredness or lack of match fitness and we can’t negotiate wins so well as others can.

As Wally says lets see what happens, but I wish I had some of the happy pills some of you take on here.

On the loaning front I have wondered for a while whether Arsene still has the best blueprint for the youth development. A lot of them seem to be stalling and are really going out on loan when they shouldn’t need to be and should be regular first team contributors. I have wondered for a while about this policy of thrusting them into the deep end in the 1st team then retracting them for a period of time. Is this the best way? I am not too sure it has worked out for the likes of Chambers or Gnabry.

I just wonder if Arsene is now slightly behind the modern best youth development methods now. They all seem to plateau and stagnate and we seem to have an extremely high incidence of injuries in our younger players that constantly derails their development.

GB. If the youth are good enough they get opportunities, recently Bellerin and Iwobi came through the ranks.

How many of the other top clubs have home growns? MU have Rashford and ???, Chavs – no-one. MC – Iheanacho and no-one else. L’pool – No-one.

We have Ramsey, Wilshire, Ox, Bellerin, Iwobi, Gibbs, Coquelin. ++

I would say Arsene remains the best manager to sign for if you are a talented youngster (but I am biased!)

Hi GB,

I think I may be more optimistic than you 🙂

Being 5 points behind is not ideal, but we must remember that the top teams will drop points against each other and we have ‘6 pointers’ when we play them – so there is plenty of time for us to climb the table.

I expect us to be top 3 by Christmas.

With Xhaka sitting in front of the defence and Mustafi next to Kozzer, we will be shored up at the back and allowing freedom to our attacking players (including the fullbacks and the rest of the midfield) to weave the magic and score the goals.

62. VP of Oz says:

GB, you lost me at “I haven’t seen the game yet”

Good point Raddy. Maybe it is harder these days to bring through a good young player, especially for the top teams where there can be less accommodation for developing players due to the finer margins in allowance for errors as oppose to the mid to lower table sides and even championship sides. Good productive loans seem to be hard to get these days. I do still harbour a feeling that all is not quite what it should be though.

Rasp, you and I have normally found ourselves in a similar arena with regard to the club and where it is going. I think there have been periods where I may have even been more optimistic than you. Maybe the roles have slightly reversed.

For the record I am not completely pessimistic but the last 12-18 months have more cautioned my optimism. This period is where I feel we unnecessarily lost the momentum we were gaining in putting together a squad that could seriously challenge for the EPL and ECL, and we subsequently regressed last year when we should have moved on.

I also look at the last 1-2 years as a blip for the other big boys and I feel they will all be strong this year to varying degrees.

Shall we say I am more in line with Wally’s “I’m in Missouri” on our prospects this year. If it comes across as complete pessimism it is the wrong impression I am giving. More cautiously optimistic is a better term or that I am an optimistic pessimist.

Perhaps I more take a certain line on here to countenance all the complete optimism that many have. We have had many conversations at the start of seasons like this before regarding how it is only 3 games e.t.c, only to find that those dropped points did end up crucial.

VP, not too sure why you are lost? Too much aimless wandering’s around the outback? 🙂

64. VP of Oz says:

GB, I was yabby fishing for a response and you made me read through it all to get to the last line. Well played:-)
    Regardless, its not the outback that gets you lost, its your brain boiling from the sunburn and heatstroke from the hole in the ozone layer down here.

Hi GB, I think the key word is momentum. If we can assimilate the new signings quickly and start to build momentum, then all we have to do is beat the big boys and stop dropping points against teams we should beat in the bottom half of the table – simples 🙂

Joking apart, I’m hopeful the points lost to teams we should be beating will reduce significantly (helped by the addition of Gustafi and Xhaka) and the fast fluid attacking football will flow especially since we are likely to have more pace up front and a midfield capable of getting the ball forward more quickly.

I know he hasn’t officially signed yet, but I am eager to see Perez play. It has to be said that so far, Theo has looked stronger, quicker and more determined than for the last couple of seasons. Maybe we should thank Woy for dropping him – although I see Sam has picked him!

VP, on the topic of the hole in your ozone layer – did you see this drongo trying to refute the scientific evidence for global warming presented by Brian Cox in a TV debate in oz?

67. VP of Oz says:

Yes Rasp, I saw it. The drongo in question I think is the equivalent to a Farage. He comes from up North/Qld so gets a lot of heatstroke and does not realise when he has become delusional…

68. VP of Oz says:

I’ve actually been in fun runs where people have died from heatstroke.
    “In heat stroke the body’s systems to regulate temperature fail. and the person may become confused and collapse.
    In heat stroke the body temperature can rise rapidly and reach above 41 degrees Celsius within 10 to 15 minutes. This can cause death or permanent disability if not treated urgently.”

69. VP of Oz says:

if we sign Draxler (I know its a stretch), would that mean that the British core (currently being loaned out) is being replaced with a German core. Is Wenger building a team around Ozil?

In that case Farage and his mate Trump have definitely been afflicted.

But really no laughing matter. Its a dangerous place to live what with the snakes, spiders, heat, harmful radiation and aussie rules!

… not to mention the Sheilas

72. TotalArsenal says:

Forget the prophecy confirming theories, GB, and go and watch our first half against the Hornets. Time to experience the footie again. 😀⚽️😀⚽️

Cheers LB
    Tip for next time you “go hostile”

1 pretend you’re a tourist called Mr Wong
    2 wear a half half scarf
    3 report aggressors for racism if things go tits up and you’re rumbled

Rasp

I am going to assume that your 10.39 is bait as I find it impossible to believe that you doubt in anyway that Wenger has already been assured by the board that they want him to stay and that he has every intention of doing just that.

Hi Micky

“Go hostile” lol, three nil down might have done it.

76. VP of Oz says:

Rasp –
    Sheila walked into the kitchen to find Bruce stalking around with a fly swatter.
    “What are you doing?” She asked.
    “Hunting Flies” He responded.
    “Oh. Killing any?” She asked.
    “Yep, 3 males, 2 Females,” he replied.
    Intrigued, she asked. “How can you tell them apart?”
    He responded, “3 were on a beer can, 2 were on the phone.”

VP, if I ever go to the outback I will enlist you. You sound like Oz’s answer to Bear Grylls or Ray Mears 🙂

I am keen on seeing Perez play as well but what formation? Should he go up top with Sanchez back to the left? Should he replace Theo on the right?

My main worry is that I have a sneaky feeling that Ollie will be re-installed as the 1st choice go to guy up top. That would not represent progress to me. Happy with Ollie as an impact player from the bench but our attacking system looks all wrong with a bigger less mobile forward.

Do we have to be worried about meeting our home grown quota with Chambers off, Gnabry off (has he gone?) and Jack maybe going out on loan?

Ha ha ha VP
    Superb

GB
    One day of window remaining to offload deadwood and that problem is resolved forever 😀

Hi LB, no not bait I promise you – maybe me showing my naivity? Who knows?

I know Arsene has spoken of how he doesn’t know what he will do with himself when he finally retires, and like you, I assume that Kroenke and the Board would be happy for him to continue.

But I do not assume that all means he will stay beyond this season. It is possible that he wants to leave with the last word – having won the EPL for the last time.

Brilliant VP 🙂 🙂

82. fatgingergooner says:

We officially have a new striker! Happy days.

Are we guessing where Wilshere ends up? I’m going for Celtic, Arsenal or Southampton.

Chas
    Thanks for visuals
    Top quality 😀

Brilliant news about Perez
    Read LBs clip about him
    Reminds me of Wrighty being late to top flight an all
    He scored 19 and ten scoring passes at Deporto
    Double that for us

My guess would be that Perez becomes our # 9 as it’s unused at the moment. If Jack does go out on loan then the #10 would also be available.

I’ve just watched chas’ Arsenal video of Perez – I love him already. He gave the perfect answer to every question.

The only other one I’d have asked is …. what do you think of totnum?

…in EN6 yesterday. Had to use your chain saw Rasp

And No Chas, it is not what you think it is. It is not an elongated poo or a gigantic willy. it is a smooth snake, common in Surrey

Actually I think its a slow worm 🙂

Have you done a poo that long before!

England cricket ODI is fab entertainment.

Gnabry is in contract talks with AFC.

His father says his mind is on a return to Germany. Media link him to BM and now Werder Bremen.

Coincidence?

That one is lost on me.

chas – no I haven’t, but I thought you might have

My proudest moment!

Calum Chambers loaned to Middlesbrough

Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan for the 2016/17 season.

The 21-year-old has made 59 appearances for us, playing at right back and in the centre of defence.

Arriving from Southampton in July 2014, he made his competitive debut in our Community Shield victory over Manchester City. He has also been a regular for England Under-21s and made his full international debut against Norway in September 2014.

Calum heads to Middlesbrough for the opportunity to gain further first-team experience in the Premier League.

Everyone at the club wishes Calum well for his time with Middlesbrough.

The deal is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Copyright 2016 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

96. Aaron says:

Gotta new sign today, Arsene spent some F*kin’ money!
    Chambers needs to go out on loan, Jack stay and eat the bench until he can’t take it anymore, Serge was once a great prospect but a serious injury, lethargy and nothing for 2 years-to be expected, should be sold with buy on clause, Debu needs to shut his mouth and sit tight, and lets get our guys ready for

Deadline Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let’s hope we can make a few last panic buys to give us those 2 or 3 players necessary to make a title-winning side. 😆

are we going to drool over Shkodran Mustafi for 2 weeks and before he even kicks the ball?

I wonder if there will be any big signings today; not only for us but any team.

It appears that CP is Wilshere’s most likely destination which suits well. We do not want him at a club which can challenge us as IMO he will improve any midfield apart from ours.

Eddie. Yes. International break …

This chap doesn’t look expensive enough. 🙂

Eddie
    You’re not going to drool over anything ………………………………..except your chin as usual. 🙂

Don’t know if anyone has covered this, just did quick squad count on AFC.com

31 players listed (excluding three on loan).

Looks like Gnabry going so that makes 30 and also includes Yaya and Jenkinson, so effectively 28 players

Of the 28 off the top of my head I’d say 5 were under 21 so that means squad of 23 fit players.

Would we risk dropping it to 22 by releasing Jack?

Also by my reckoning 8 of over 21s are homegrown, and 6 of those will be club homegrown for UEFA CL purposes.

Basically no more room at Inn for overseas players without some going. Not that we are signing anyone now but we might be buggered in January if we need to add.

Plum wine sediment in the bottom of a demi-john after the first racking-off.

Looks a bit like poo, doesn’t it? 🙂

Not mine.

Lovely pic of Bob and Ali.

I know it isn’t your music but the last few Bob albums have been terrific.

Exile

Would offloading Ollie help in any way on the quota front?

Reckon it could unite the fan base if nothing else while restoring some sanity to the bank balance

Just trying to be helpful and shit

110. TotalArsenal says:

You should be proud of your ability to aim, Chas 💩😂

GIE. Chambers, Wilshere out, so too Flam, Arteta, Campbell and Rosicky.

In: Mustafa, Perez, Xhaka, Holding

We must have space in our squad but I don’t understand the rules.

Morning Micky. Sunny where you are?

113. VP of Oz says:

Chas, what is a demi-john? Here in Oz, a john is a toilet so yes poo did cross my mind when I saw the photo

Thinking of squad size. 22 players returned to Chelsea at the end of their loans this summer.

Morning all ….

…. New post ….

VP
    It’s a gallon bottle used in home brewing/wine-making.

Not this. 🙂