Vardy to Arsenal, OR….You Vote

Let’s face it, the strikers on show at The Euros will not have filled Gunner Transfer Speculators with much hope. I have not seen anything of The Copa America, so realistically, given our place in the pecking order behind yer Barcas and Bayerns, Vardy is looking not just ok, but possibly the best we can hope for.

Personally, I think he’d be a great addition, but far from a worldy.

So, for the sake of a simple poll, we’ll look at a straight choice.  Vardy OR  a Mahrez/Mkhitaryan type. Someone to provide more ammo. from the right, as well as goals.

Incidentally, I think we could have both, but I’m interested to see which you consider would improve the side the most. Without changing formations, we have very limited alternatives to Ollie, bar moving to a Sanchez little ‘un kind of set up, whereas we do have options on the right from Aaron/Jack to Joel/Iwobi.

Remember, it’s an either/or

If Vardy is not for you, tell us who else we should be looking at …. try to keep it realistic 🙂

MickyDidIt89

333 Responses to Vardy to Arsenal, OR….You Vote

Ha ha

I’m not very good at this stuff. I meant Vardy or a winger 🙂

I said “So, for the sake of a simple poll, we’ll look at a straight choice. Vardy OR a Mahrez/Mkhitaryan type”

So for keen voters, you have two go’s for the price of one. Put some ticks on Rasp’s ballot paper, then vote orally on mine 🙂

Blimey, 48 votes already, and yip, one undecided 🙂

how about that Brazilian wonderkid, Cipriano? you like your strikers’ name ending with an ‘o’

5. freddy sande says:

cavani-higuana-morata

Hi Micky, sorry if I misinterpreted your intention – I told you I wasn’t very bright 🙂

I wish we had an ‘undecided’ option tomorrow 😦

Rasp
    Never ever worry about my intentions, as in the words of Nick Cave, they’re usually “unrighteous” 🙂

9. Peter mark says:

I think wenger he doesn’t have any spirit of the club, imagine 20 years No trophy 🏆, look at the Leicester just come from No where and took the trophy eeeeeee!!!!,wenger he is an animal that’s why he can’t get ashamed all the years lying fans, I think wenger now he should get up if he has been sleeping 😴 and he doesn’t know that he is getting old, imagine to be in the club for all those years and No trophy for championship, wenger he is not serious at all, and he is going to retire from the club, even if he still has some good years in the club yet there’s no trophy, he is getting old in the club for nothing, wenger it’s time to buy gud players and you take the trophy 🏆,you see every fun he is complaining about you, please do it and you remove misfortune from you, thanks

Rasp

Agree about difficulty of tomorrow. The whole thing has been hijacked by the immigration nonsense. In, or Out, we need a million new workers to puff up the pensions deficit, and we’ll get them.

I’m voting out, but I’m in favour of immigration.

EDDDDDIE

A Brazilian wonderkid called Cipriano!!!
    I’m off to youtube the fella, and if the price is high enough, it’s the green light from me 🙂

12. loops says:

aim high, go for robert lewandowski. proper world class striker or aubameyang

On the youtube. Couldn’t resist this. Now Cipriano

Hi Micky, its a head and heart thing for me. Head = in, heart = out …. or is it the other way round? 🙂

The fact is no-one knows the ramifications of out with any certainty, so the safe option is in …… but the exciting option would be to see how we would fare out there making more of our own decisions.

If I were to vote purely for self interest, I’d be an ‘in’.

That’s enough of politics 😕

15. Jim Lloyd says:

We should be buying Lacazette..he would be brilliant at Arsenal….if for some reason we can’t..although he has said he’d love to join us..He has turned down west ham (twice) and spurs..and has said he will only leave his current club to join Arsenal….if we don’t get him because of Wenger..then either Lukaku or Janssen..

16. habu bamusa says:

to be honest either Higuan or Lukaku would be more appropriate.

The Danish vote is as follows …

Better than – Un Point (in a French accent)

Hardy – Nul Point

18. chas mobile says:

And the winner of today’s name the player quiz was……………….. …………………….Rasper.

19. Will says:

Higuain

20. chas mobile says:

Cheers, Micky.
    I definitely think we ought to be going for an out and out striker as number one priority.
    Hopefully can get a goal scoring addition who plays on the right as well.

Whether we can get better than Reg, who knows, so I went
    ‘don’t know’. 🙂

21. VP of Oz says:

Andrej Kramarić
    Interestingly he was purchased by Leicester last year and loaned&sold to 1899 Hoffenheim this year-
    Kramarić has been described as versatile striker who is mobile enough to run behind defences and rather than waiting for crosses or ball to come to him, tends to run towards the ball, engulfing his opposition with an air of unpredictability about his play. Although naturally a lone striker, his versatility makes him able to play well as winger or second striker.[46] His former national team coach Niko Kovač compared him with Croatian legendary striker Davor Šuker

Aubameyang would be the one, but he’s already way out of our league – and the same is probably true of Higuain I reckon.

Intuitively I feel that Brexit is the most important vote most British people will make in their lifetime but I have no understanding of the issues for and against. Other than the out of control immigration.

24. TotalArsenal says:

The problems that we will be facing in the next twenty to fifty years, from economic growth/ stability to immigration, from political and military stability to climate change, and from protection of human rights to terrorism, cannot be resolved in isolation but require strong and active participation in the European Union. Don’t let xenophobia cloud what is at stake here and vote with your head and heart for remain. Victoria Concordia Crescit. 🌈

25. TotalArsenal says:

A winger with CF qualities for me, Mickster. Reus would be my man…. A potentially typical Arsene signing. I have started to feel a bit dirty of having flirted with the thought of Vardy joining us. 😊

chas – and the winner of tomorrow’s player quiz is …………………. Rasper 🙂

Micky,

I voted yes to Vardy as I believe he is the best that we (may) get. The Euro’s have been a miserable showcase for goal scoring as in 64 games, so far, only 58 goals have been scored an average of .92 per game.

28. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Evonski,

The Poles are looking good…. Not just a nation of pretty women! 🙃

29. TotalArsenal says:

Wow G5, that is some statistic. I guess the number of Euros’ clean sheets is higher than ever too…

GN5

While I completely agree about the pathetic shortage of goals, there have been 32 games not 64, so an average of 1.8 goals per game 🙂

TA, I have no idea of clean sheets in previous Euro’s but so far in Euro2016 there has been 25 clean sheets in 64 games = 39%.

Oops you are correct MD there have only been 32 games. I was counting games played by each team (dumb) ???

So actually 1.8 per game is not so shabby, last season the PL average was only 1.35 and Leicester won with an average of 1.84.

Wall Charts are the way to go GN5

They are big, exceedingly simple and very colourful 🙂

MD.

I use self generated spreadsheets – for a couple of reasons 1. it keeps my brain active and 2. I have lots of time on my hands.

Hi Mickish,

Nice Post, but —

— Not impressed with the quality of the Euro 2016, either, or many of the players on show, so cannot say I can suggest an alternative to V Man above.

Hi again guys … since we are in the summer-lull (despite the Euros), we are struggling to publish posts ….. so I thought that as chas is brilliant at picture puzzles, and GN5 likes an gamaran 🙂 maybe I could pitch in with a cryptic clue (all football/Arsenal related of course) and we could have a quiz post once in a while.

I’ll start you off with an easy cryptic clue ….

‘Sounds like two of his body parts are in the first person’ ……. first correct answer wins a paper hat 🙂

Rasp are you insinuating that I’m a rag man?

Eye, eye?

No, just that you get your trestle mixed up on occasion ……

… and sometimes you let your sterlet off the hook 🙂

Hi Redders, have we flushed you out? 🙂

Rasper,

I am absolutely hopeless at cryptic crosswords, so maybe you can explain how you arrive at a conclusion.

Let me see – there needs to be a definition within the clue, and a cheeky little wordplay – and hey presto – there’s the answer —– not!

So, when clever Chas cracks it – show us how it’s done, and that will hook me. 🙂

OK, Redders, chas will certainly get this one I’m sure. No clues though as it is already far too easy 🙂

You are in a different league to me Rasp – I think I’ll go back and spread my sheets for comfort.

As long as you don’t soil them GN5 🙂

Rasp – I’m a crossword and Sudoku fanatic but I have never tried cryptic crosswords.

Each to his own GN5. I must admit that I’m not a Sudoku fan as it is primarily an exercise in mathematical deduction and once you understand the means by which to solve them, then it is just a case of whether you can be bothered to go through the process.

I’m good at sums

Oh, and hi RA.

Hi Micky, how many decimal places have you calculated pi to then?

Actually, Rasp, sudoku is not a mathematical deduction puzzle at all, it is a logic based combinatory, number placing puzzle, with varying degrees of difficulty, just like increasingly difficult cryptic crosswords, which require knowledge of the ‘rules’ to enable them to be solved.

For example, in a tried and trusted explanation of how to ‘do’ Times cryptic crossword puzzles, these two are supposed to show how to solve clues — oh, yeah!! 🙂

Clue: ‘Sandwich Smacks taking on sailing vessels’ (11)
    = KNOCKABOUTS, which are “sailing vessels”. The smacks here are not boats but KNOCKS, and inside them is ABOUT (“on”). Watch out for the many possible meanings of short words such as “in” and “on”. [Easy – 🙄

Clue: ‘Anagram Cartoons I designed for syndicates’ (9)
    = CONSORTIA. “Designed” is the anagram indicator that tells you to reorder the letters in “Cartoons I”, and “syndicates” is a synonym for “consortia”. Again – dead easy! :roll’

You British are barmy!! 😀

Give me sudoku any day.

Whatever 🙂 🙂

Hiya, back, Micky.

Your answer at 4:33 is pretty accurate – give or take. 🙂

It is something of a trick Rasper question as the answer ‘grows’ year on year, and last time I looked it was over 5 trillion decimal places (or maybe upward of 10 trillion) going on infinity (not that anyone can count how many that is!!

I better start again — 1, 2, 3, —- this is like reading a GoonerB omnibus edition………….zzzzzzzz

Me-sut Oz-I-l?

Hi Raddy, nowhere near … it’s much simpler than that 🙂

Rasp
    Tony Adams
    Toe Knee

Excellent Micky … I told you it was easy 🙂

NO WAY
    YES YES YES

ps now tell everyone it was hard 🙂

I went through a complicated song I know called “Hands fingers knees and toes, knees and toes” 🙂

🙂 … and the first person is Adam .. therefore belonging to Adam = adams (no apostrophe)

I wouldn’t have got that in a month of Sundays.

Micky. You are clearly a wizard at this sort of cryptic stuff

Erik
    My first ever victory, and it’s sweet as a berry and something I will long savour
    And remind everyone repeatedly

Do you want another one?

Hi I had to pop out for a while.

Rasp, by choice I rarely spend my time on something that I could not excel at IE: golf – why waste hours of ones life only to end up losing?

I enjoy the challenge of Sudoku as they are extremely complex and keep my mind busy. My particular favourite is a one which comprises of 5 puzzles with one interlinked with the other four.

Iceland 1-0 up

I’m not being awkward, but two things I like. One is looking for things, and the other is untying knots. Simple fellow. Keep myself busy I do.

2-1 Iceland brilliant

So England get Iceland – but I love Iceland 😦 we’d be such bullies to knock them out 😦

Brilliant game betwixt Hungary and Portugal — 3:3 at the finish.

I have a query for Mr Rasper.

Your clue was; ‘Sounds like two of his body parts are in the first person’

Now, the definition of ‘first person’ is the pronouns or verbs referring to the person seeking or writing about him or her self.

= ‘I’ in the singular form, or ‘We’ in the plural form.

Hence ‘sounds like — body parts’ — in the first person
    = Singular pronoun ‘I’ — sounds like ‘eye’ — two body parts = ‘Eye, Eye’.

Obvious — I claim the first prize of a paper hat.

Sorry, Micky, but noblesse oblige – and the crown is mine!! 😀

That’s why Rasper is hopeless at sudoku, too. 😀

Dear God RA, simplify your life and take up looking for things 🙂

England Iceland eh? My wall chart is an utter shambles.

Micky a swift bit of cutting and pasting and my spreadsheet is as good as new 🙂 🙂 🙂

Rasp and RA are way to clever, it takes away all the fun 😦 😦 😦

I had no idea about the cryptic clue

George Armstrong
    Patrick Vehaira
    John Dick
    Jimmy Brain
    Ian Urethra
    Nwankwo Kanu

Couldn’t get any of them to fit.

Not at all clever, GN5 (and hi to you) 🙂

Look – it’s all in perception. I was told by a young student a while back that they would never be as clever as me, as I could calculate as quickly as a calculator.

The details are boring, but I can appear to be quick, because over the years I have learned short cuts out of necessity.

For example: I can calculate the square of numbers pretty fast, without a calculator, because it is just a little mental math.

The square root of 48, for example, is 2304 – Check it on your calculator. 🙂

This is my way:

a) Subtract 25 from 48 = 48 – 25 = 23

b) Square the difference between 50 and 48 = 2 — square of 2* 2 = 4
    Put a zero in front of the 4 to make it double digit. = 04

Put the answers of a) and b) together = 2304

See it is quick – and impresses the kids — but it is not clever. 🙂

nice for the boys in green.

well, Fattie has his shocker, cannot trust them Italians

79. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers G5, that is a lot of clean sheets and no surprise really.

Good to see Redders back. 😀

It’s late now but Hi to you to RA.

You underestimate just how clever you are I would most definitely require a calculator.

81. Edward says:

Let morata then come with all means. I don’t understand why even we can’t sign Benzem.

Easy?

Hard?

Footie was good last night

Alexis in the final.
    This was his shot that cannoned off the post.
    (all Arsenal players’ shots ‘cannon’ off the post 🙂 )

A whole two days without football – Eeeeeek!

Saw Springsteen in concert last night. Great stuff.

chas. No cricket either – might have to talk to the wife 😦

Grim day ahead indeed
    Not even any EU debates, although they’ve been awful

Love the cat pic. Been a while.

6:32 Pic Quiz

Really tough as I can’t even decide who the person in first pic is. Kim Jong-un or KD Lang?

6.31 Is the first pic jimmy Young?

93. LBG says:

Jimmy Bloomfield

Going to be problems in the Raddy household. Daughter-in-law is a very proud Icelander and really into the Euros.

If the Brexit vote goes TU I am changing nationality. Forza Italia

Erik
    I think you’d make an excellent Italian
    Don’t know what I’d choose to be. Mmmm

Micky/Rasper,

Just to clarify my ‘witticism’ yesterday – well done Mickish for cracking the Rasper’s cryptic football related crossword – and to Rasp for compiling a clever (and to him – easy) clue.

I was just kidding by launching an alternative – non football – bit of rubbish. A quick read this a.m. made me realise it may not have been seen that way.

Apologies to Micky the Prince and Rasper the King of cryptic crosswords – I really am rubbish at them – and doing the ‘easy’ Times cryptic crossword this morning I have managed only 2 out of 6 clues – and the two I got right were probably for the wrong reason.

Bring on more Rasper, they are fun, and I will keep my humour to myself.

Sayonara.

Hard – Leslie Compton?

No apologies required RA

I merely assumed you were flexing your enormous organ, which while mighty impressive, may just be illegal in some countries 🙂

Wow Rasp.
    Harsh on lesbians, but still wow

chas @6:51 – wow, that is fantastic!!

I am going to vote now, not that is matters, the results will be rigged anyway. Bet you ANY money (of which I have none) Britain will stay in EU, the whole referendum a pointless exercise.

Rasp
    As we know the games for the knockout phase now, and therefore routes to the final, maybe we could stick up a graphic for a post, if we could copy and paste one. Like an up to date wall chart

What d’ya reckon?

Eddie
    I reckon it’ll be a Remain vote as well, although interestingly you mark the paper in pencil !!

joke the whole thing. I won’t vote. I met a lady dogwalker whose son won some competition on the subject of Leaving/staying. The government pulled the plug on the whole thing. Why?

I had an argument with a bus driver who bullied me into reversing to let him go. He was bang out of order, all could see that, so I stopped and refused to be bullied. And then I received a call from the metropolitan police asking me to move 🙂 Now, how did they know my number? Bloody police state in a democratic country.

Winner of Match 2 (Wales or N.Ireland) go on to play winner Match 6 (Hungary Belgium)

Real opportunity to progress to Semis

Wow Eddie
    That’s Big Brother Orwellian level scary
    Big reason I’m an outer. Anti stateism.

“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter”
    George Washington

Can’t find a filled in chart to copy and paste

so am I micky. after watching Citizenfour documentary, nothing will surprise me. They can tap into your smartphone/smart TV even when devices are switched off and record the whole conversation in the room. Simple.

108. LBG says:

Wow Eddie! What a spirit lifter you are in the morning!

Hi Micky, I’ve had a look but can’t find anything that will work on our format.

I could put up another cryptic clue since you lot love them so much 🙂

Rasp
    I’ve found one. Interactive, but in PDF. I can’t separate page 1 from 2

1 being group stages. 2 being knock out.

I’ll send it to you in case.

Sorry, can’t edit it the wretched thing
    Where’s Chas when you need him 🙂

LBG – thank you, I try 🙂

113. Vardy signed a new 4 year deal at Leicester, so new targets needed!

Can’t say i’m that upset.

114. chas mobile says:

Leslie Compton. Correct.
    Apologies to all lesbians, Pinocchio. Trekkies and PT instructors.

FGG
    Yip, just seen that news on Vardy. Bloody farmer 🙂

good news re Vardy!! shame we had 5 posts about him, but hey we can continue speculating till end of August 🙂

Do I need a larger rum baba ?

I’m surprised that no one has solved this, but my money would be on Rasp or TA, maybe Chas.

Leicester gave him a 4 year contract which means he will be 33 when it expires. It must be some sort of bonus for his (major) part in getting them the PL trophy.

119. Bryan says:

I would of been happy with Vardy but do think we should be aiming higher.

Would be nice to put in an offer for Aubameyang or Higuaín (still gutted we missed out on him couple of years ago) but I think Lukaka would be a more realistic option.

I’m not that bothered about Morata as I don’t think he’s worth the money they are talking about as he does not appear to score enough goals so far..

I would take either Mahrez or Mkhitaryan all day long as they would add more quality to our squad/team.

At the end of the day I’ll be more than happy if Wenger gets us a top drawer striker & CB.

120. TotalArsenal says:

Sorry G5, cannot think of aplayer with 21 characters with two Bs and a U in it…. Help us! 😀

121. TotalArsenal says:

We may have saved ourselves from a new Francis Jeffers. Arsenal is too big a club for him.

TA

He is not known by his full name.

Egg on my face again. With the amount of times I have got it wrong It is starting to look like a full English in a greasy spoon. Vardy you muppet.

124. TotalArsenal says:

Gabriel Armando de Abreu

That was hard, G5 😳

You’re good TA – I knew the clue would be all revealing.

I am not convinced by the Vardy – Jeffers conparison. The first is very established the second not at all.

LB,

The comparison is easy to understand as just prior to joining us Jeffers scored 6 goals in 12 games for Everton (2000/1) and scored 13 in 16 games for the England under 21 team (1999/2001) so he was looking like a real hot prospect.

However as it turned out 6 goals was the most he ever scored in a single season – who was to know?

128. TotalArsenal says:

G5,

I had thought about one of the current and ex Brazilians, including our Keown lookalike but did not think the Paulista part would be left out of his name, so did not consider him… 😀

129. TotalArsenal says:

In recent history, how many strikers from up north have been a success in London; and yes, anything above Watford is up north! 😀

Total

“how many strikers from up north have been a success”

I’d say Rooney north, and Carroll south, but England simply hasn’t produced any good strikers

As the day wears on, I become increasingly pleased the little rat faced weasel Vardy has stayed in Leicester 🙂

Memo to King Rasper:

Clue: Referendum mob riots; I am in it from the start. (7:6)

Looking at the two clues – ‘Referendum mob riots’ [very to day don’t you think? 🙂 ] – that clearly is an anagram. And then, I am in it from the start is a clue to what is required.

So, Founder member (7:6) fits nicely.

But I got some other clues right, just by using cross fillings.

I will show you one of these that I just did not get the clues, in my next comment. [At the moment, I feel really cross that I am struggling!] 😀

132. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, a Rooney move to the South also never felt realistic. Northerners tend to prefer to stay there and concerns about failing in the big smoke must be part of it.

That is one reason I rate Cahill highly.

Here we go, Rasping. 🙂

Clue: Maiden interrupts tale; involving violent emotion. (6)

So, the clue Maiden interrupts tale = story(+) —
    the second clue involving violent emotion = story(+) ‘m’.

so, that fits – the answer is stormy but the clues do not quite seem to make sense.

Can you explain the logic, please, Oh Great Crosser? 😀

Total
    You have a point statistically, but I don’t get it. In every other walk of life, people merge ok

I guess also, that if any good striker emerges up there, they’ve historically always had Pool or Utd, either one of which has been the top club anyway

Micky @ 3:36 p.m. yesterday in answer to your Post.

“— Don’t rate ‘one season wonder – couldn’t be stuffed to give Arsenal an answer’ Vardy.”

Today’s ‘answer’ from Farty has not changed that – except he has now given an answer – and that was signposted by Arsene last week.

Hi Redders, sorry I’ve been out. You’ve explained the reasoning in your @3:25, it is as you say … story with an ‘m’ in the middle … simples 🙂

Here’s my easy cryptic clue for the day ….

Tell, them all it makes a gas leak

How many letters, Rasp?

So, Rasp, the first letter of Maiden was abbreviated to ‘m’ — is that a convention?

What I mean is – in other clues – if Sailors figured in the clue, is it possible that ‘s’ would be an acceptable part of the answer?

You see, that is where the logic fails me. 🙂

It’s the name of an Arsenal footballer – no more clues 🙂

142. Aaron says:

Crap!
    Just means Arsenal still need a guaranteed 10-15 goals from somewhere else cuz Arsenal do NOT have that on the team right now! And as the summer transfer window closes the price for a SCORER will rise everyday..grrrrrrrrrrr Means less money for another defender.

143. JM says:

I’d voted “No” on Vardy if given other choices.

The real deals are actually:

For jersey No.9:
    Eduardo Vargas, 26, 5ft 9in, forward
    (Alexis’ international strike partner; speed dribbler, flair and selfish; a bright light at Copa2016 with Chile)

For jersey No.16:
    Ivan Perišić, 27, 6ft 1in, winger+forward
    (in-form for Croatia in Euro2016; did well likewise for them at WC2014; experienced campaigner with club stints in France@Sochaux, Belgium@Club Brugge, Germany@Dortmund & Wolfsburg and Italy@Inter; speed dribbler, flair, fitnesse shots and power headers)

An example of how the team could line-up with the above two:

Rasp,

Are you saying that Leslie Compton is an anagram for another Arsenal player?

No GN5, that comment relates to my cryptic player clue for today @ 4:02

Phew – I thought I was going crazy!!

Alexis.

William Gallas ? – well that confirms that I’m cryptically devoid.

149. LBG says:

Superb, Chas

Jamie Farty

Beware bad language – avert your gaze.

Top drawer Chas 🙂

ha ha ha Chas 🙂

Wow, just looking at Euro fixtures for the weekend and Monday. Knock out. Fantastic. So much to enjoy.

Bit of sitar in this for Arnie.

The first track from Airs’ Moon Safari album, accompanied by scenes from a video shot from a streetcar traveling down Market Street in San Francisco in 1905.
    Before the earthquake/fire of 1906 destroyed the area. Remarkable footage of the turn of the century lifestyles in California.

Wow What an amazing hypnotic video. I don’t know how you find themChas

160. TotalArsenal says:

Air video is fabulous. Great music for a night city drive as well. Cheers Chasky

Am I the only one putting in a night shift?
    I’d better rejoin Twister and talk to complete strangers 🙄

Although LEAVE are 1-0 up, I reckon it might go to penalties 🙂

163. oz gunner says:

No Vardy? oh well. Back to the drawing board. I’ve begun to scout forwards. I shall email Arsene my notes soon enough. The job doesn’t pay but I’ll do anything I can to lessen the odds of seeing Theo lead the line again!

For good or bad it looks like an exciting referendum result.
    I think Vardy staying at Leicester for the chips was the deciding factor.

Easy 1?

Easy 2?

Britain racing to leave the EU. 🙂

Beware bad language – avert your eyes.

God I’m tired

Anyway, although I’m delighted by the result, please no Farage pics. I loathe his face 🙂

Sliding cats is just the best 🙂 🙂

I’ve genuinely never been prouder of the English and Welsh working class electorate.

If I was Diane Abbott, I’d shut up with the bullshit, David Dimbleby has had no sleep and is very scratchy 🙂

If you were Diane Abbott, God would have had to have reached up inside the rectum of the universe and pulled it completely inside out. 🙂

177. LBG says:

Chas 0638
    Only a tiny exaggeration I would say, Bro!

Chas

179. LBG says:

0525
    Thomas Rosicky

LBG
    Are you a Vines?

181. L says:

0526 George Graham
    Sorry if the day’s challenges are spoilt

182. LBG says:

Yes Micky. The grumpy old git!

Ah, the one with the black lab. Chippy
    I got one too since we last met 🙂

Tomas Rosicky

185. LBG says:

Chas
    Is it possible to send your California video of last night to me as e-mail or WhatsApp?

186. LBG says:

“Brady”is my beautiful black Lab. Is Chippy your one, Micky?
    Beat you Rasp!

187. chas mobile says:

Yes LBG, though I’m not sure how on my phone. Will do when I get home.

188. chas mobile says:

Rosicky – correct

George Graham not correct, though it does fit so it is correct in a way.

Oooh, I know, I know 🙂 but will leave it to others 🙂

Well done LBG 🙂

191. TotalArsenal says:

A big hug for my fellow Europeans who have woken up this morning seeing this devastating and desperately sad result. We live in a foreign country from one day to the next. 😧

192. LBG says:

David Seaman, but troubled by David part!

Here’s today’s cryptic clue. Its an easy one so don’t blow it if you get it straight away 🙂

Cram him on top of a chocolate bar

Rasp
    Is it an Arsenal footballer? If yes, I will stare at it for a while 🙂

Steve Sneeker
    I know, needs a little work

196. fatgingergooner says:

Love the cryptic clue! Very good.

Does the out vote mean Xhaka was even more of a bargain given the value of the pound?

They make premium chocolate bars in Boulder, Colorado. Just saying. Steve Boulder 🙂

FGG
    Depends how the payment terms were set out. If all already paid, then definitely, if not, only time will tell.

199. LBG says:

Can I toss out a new attacking to replace the Ox ,(and Walcott, I’m afraid)- Ivan Periodic – Croatia

200. LBG says:

Attacking player……….Ivan Perisic .

Toss away
    Ivan Periodic sounds like a table 🙂

Saturday

2pm Switzerland vs Poland
    5pm Wales vs Northern Ireland
    8pm Croatia vs Portugal

Sunday

2pm France vs Ireland
    5pm Germany vs Slovakia
    8pm Hungary vs Belgium

Monday

5pm Italy vs Spain
    8pm England vs Iceland

That’s a pretty juicy line up. Weekend sorted.

What are the Euro vote ramifications for football, are they positive or negative ? Will it make transfers more difficult when the borders are no longer open?

🙂 Micky, not Big Stevie Bould

205. LBG says:

George Eastham. Still not happy!

Sorry Micky, I missed your earlier comment – yes, I’m only doing arsenal footballers. FGG has got it already 🙂

GN5

In essence it is like with everything else – nobody knows, how could they? Maybe Kelsey

208. LBG says:

Micky old chap, having had a long walk with the dog to blow away the dementia and effects of staying up all night, I have had a light bulb moment regarding our previous on dogs and “Chippy”. Sorry for being a ninkumpoop!

Eddie,

Thank you for taking the trouble to forward the article, unfortunately I could not open it fully. However I found a similar piece on Sky Sports.

Here is a part of the Sky Sports piece on Brexit

A host of star players would not have played in the Premier League last season had the United Kingdom already left the European Union, according to investment banker Keith Harris.

Harris, who has helped oversee the sale of numerous football clubs including Chelsea and Manchester City, told Sky Sports News HQ that N’golo Kante, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku and Dimitri Payet would not have been allowed to join their clubs.

Currently players from countries within the EU can work in Britain without a work permit but that is set to change following the vote to leave, although it is likely to be several years before the effects are felt.

Last season 432 European players were registered to play in the Premier League. Those players are unlikely to have to leave following the vote, but new players will not have an automatic right to live and work in the UK.

“It was a shock result,” said Harris. “There are four players that we can reflect on and the impact they had on their clubs last year, who may not have been able to come in.

“Kante, who had a huge impact at Leicester, Martial at Manchester United, Lukaku at Everton and Payet at West Ham.

“I wonder how attractive the Premier League would have been and how well those clubs would have done without those specific players, and that’s the kind of thing we are now speculating about.”

Europeans could now be subject to the same immigration rules as non-EU players, under which a player from a top-10 nation has to have played in 30 per cent of their games in the two years prior to the date of application to be granted a work permit.

chas – very interesting info. Younger generation wanting to stay in EU. But the older voters had more time on their hands so they voted out and won.

Is is a joke abut Cornwall? very funny if it aint

Not a joke about Cornwall, Eddie.

Older people voted out because they are naturally more racist ( my opinion only)

I realise this is an Arsenal blog, but I’m distressed by the result and I’ve been up the pub, so please excuse me.

Doing this by copies to Twitter feed cause it’s easier

Morning GiE, gosh, you must have been beside yourselves. Poor little George, hope me makes a swift recovery and bravo to the Norfolk NHS

Thanks Rasp, weirdly everything was so calm, the paramedics, nurses and doctors just never look worried, and don’t rush around like you see in TV/Film, they are just calm and talk normally.

It was only when I stepped off a&e bay a little later and realised what “resus” is short for i realised how dramatic and close to unthinkable it all was. Then I got a bit emotional when talking to grandparents.

The scary bit was when one paramedic was going to do the assessment the other took one look at G and said “ambulance now we’re going”. But once they are doing stuff and not panicking you feel safe.

This morning he has had oxygen taken off but his oxygen levels have dropped a bit so we will wait and see what they say today.

Thank goodness for those medics. I had a few scares when my kids were young but nothing on that scale – it puts all other worries in perspective. Did you know George was allergic.

oh no, poor little George!! Never mind the NHS and brilliant paramedics, he is a tough little cookie and would have survived anyway. Big hugs for all of you

and happy Birthday GiE! are you a Gemini 🙂

and what was the other bad news, Brexit? I must admit that micky is the only intelligent person who I know and who voted to leave. Anybody with a grain of brain between the ears knows it is a disastrous move

rasp 🙂 yes, GiEs knew George was allergic and fed him cashew nuts out of curiosity 🙂 🙂 course they didn’t know you doughnut. Did you vote to leave 🙂

I voted stay after a fair bit of angst. My question about the allergy was not so stupid because George is 4? and I’d have thought he would have eaten cashews before now.

Try not to see that things in such black and white terms.

The decision to leave has been made. Everyone now needs to be positive, there is no point in political dooming.

I don’t do positive rasp 🙂 I like doom and gloom.

Poland will win today, have to beat Switzerland. Hopefully xhaka will have a poor game today.

Exile
    Nothing in the world worse than children health scares. Really horrible. Hope all is better this morning.

Great to have football back today. I’m hoping for Polish, Welsh and Croatian victories with at least one penalty shoot out after a 3-3 draw.

GIE
    Here’s wishing George a speedy return to full health.

Excellent Chas, and I have no idea how many times I watched the sliders yesterday
    Reminds one of the genuinely important things in life ie smiling 🙂

Thanks everyone for well wishes.

He has eaten a variety of foods and probably little bits of cashew especially in stir frys etc, but these were quite big whole cashews, he ate at least two and hadn’t had a very big lunch as we were all on for family barbie and expecting to eat quite a lot later.

Started to get puffy eyes but he has had some trouble with hay fever lately so have him some anti histamine, then he went to sleep on my mum, put him on sofa, he was sick just as we were about to eat, really upset, breathing heavily, took him upstairs but he was panicking and struggling to breathe gave him inhaler (that he’d been given week before because of some chestiness) no difference struggling more to breathe hence call to ambulance

So many thank goodnesses, ambulance was close, we didn’t put him to bed in his room so heard him be sick etc etc.

By all accounts he is doing ok this morning, I’m just on way to hospital after settling H with grandparents.

I wonder if Wales can do a Leicester. That would be fantastic. Apparently our Aaron is in top, top form. Lets hope this continues to the new season

GiE – I had no doubts that George shall enjoy speedy recovery. He comes from good old stock

234. TotalArsenal says:

Hope little Gooner George recovers quickly, GiE. Well done for praising the NHS and N&N in the process: a truly brilliant institution/hospital. 🌈

Chas, thanks for great comments and vids/pics. 😍

GIE:

You did great in recognizing that he was more than just sick, I hope that he has a full recovery. I’ve had similar occurrences with both of my children both nothing to compare with the fright you must have had.

Chas that is one great picture three generations of Arsenal fans, How is JC doing – well I hope.

Sorry to hear about little George, GIE, and altho anaphylaxis can be deadly if left untreated, you [and the wonderful NHS staff] did everything right – so despite the stress – well done, sir.

Great pic of the two of you, by Chas above, wearing your Arsenal shirts — George will play for us one day! 😀

FA Cup quarter-final replays have been scrapped from next season.

The Football Association said the decision was part of its “ongoing review” and would help to “ease English football’s congested fixture schedule”.

Semi-final replays were phased out after Manchester United beat Arsenal in 1999 on their way to the treble.

Replays in earlier rounds remain, which means lower-league clubs still have the opportunity to earn lucrative second matches against higher-ranked clubs.

Hooray for extra time to help fill the eternal void between games one and two

What a goal

Want Poland to win though. On pens would be perfect

micky – is your family away? too much time on your hands?

Poland to win first half and second half. No more situations for me please. Luton airport ruined my summer.

I voted Leave for a joke because I was sure Remain would win and in a rigged referendum (if necessary ) 🙂 I am deeply ashamed. Please don’t tell my son, his business is ‘fecked’ according to him

Luton airport ruined my summer?

I missed the game, thought it was 5pm kick off. Fool

good lad Xhaka 🙂

beautifully executed pens 🙂 🙂 feck luton airport

At least we know Granit’s not taking the pens next season.

Well Xhaka will carry a heavy burden after missing the penalty that sent Switzerland home when they were the best side during the 90 minutes.

poor Granit 🙂 pens are such a horrible way to finish a game

GN5 – was the Swiss team the better one? Really? I didn’t watch the game

Yes Eddie particularly in the 2nd half and in extra time the Polish team looked worn out – the Swiss were far fitter. Shaqiri’s overhread goal was stunning and may be the best we will see in Euro2016.

It’s a real shame you missed the game it was really competitive throughout.

GN5,

Shagger did not so much miss the penalty as – from a positive point of view – spectacularly aimed for and hit the corner flag! 😀

Looking at Ledley, I heard the best description of that beardy trendy look…..lumbersexuals 🙂

Come on Wales

Micky he looks like a good old mountain boy – probably has a still hidden in his backyard………..

Eddie
    Do you or your family live/come from anyway near Warsaw?

RA, I would hate to be in his position – it must be a terrible feeling letting not only your team mates down but your country as well.

GN5
    That’s what the lumbersexual look would like you to believe.
    I suspect man products and moisturiser 🙂

Chas,

At least a youngster like you voted the right way, Thursday.

What do you think? Probably best if all the old ones over 40 y.o should be sent to the cheap chippy chopper – as well as the all the young Under 40’s who voted the ‘wrong’ way?

What right have these 40+ oldies got to vote? Bar stewards! 🙂

Glad I was not qualified to vote mind – at mid-late 40’s, I would wet myself in case I incurred the wrath of a youngster like you. 😀

micky 🙂 🙂

257. LBG says:

Very well done on your part GiE with your son. Sure you will have listened to and taken up advice with regard to your son, and, without wishing to scare, be clear that as the reaction was so severe first time, you all need caution+++++ from now on. Anaphylaxis increases in severity of symptom each time. I imagine you will be offered an epi-pen, which will be dramatic for you all in explanation of use. Your calm, intelligent approach will help. I offer you best wishes for the future

Is the petition for a re-vote a farce or can there be one?

He will be upset, of course, GN5 – but I would tell him to remember that it’s only a game.

It was odd. He has a beautiful range of passes during the game, and I would have put money on him to score. But he looked too casual, and …..

I still think he will be great for us. 🙂

Usually your team mates are supportive RA – but you never know as in those circumstances emotions run high.

micky – yes, all born and bred Warszawiacy

yes, come on Wales!!

thanks GN5. There is a petition but it has little impact or none.

That’s true, GN5.

He looked so calm …. but that’s what pressure does!

Still one poor effort does not change the fact he had a very good tournament otherwise.

Eddie – What just like the remain vote 🙂 🙂

His passing was superb but I was also hoping to see some of his shooting prowess.

Frankly the leave vote seems more like an underclass uprising against the establishment than it does to leave the European union.

It is obviously not for me to say, GN5, but intellectually it seems a mistake to vote Out, as it may bugger things up economically — but who wants to be ruled by non-elected bureaucrats — and that might have made people vote with their hearts not their heads.

Not an easy decision — and anyway all the politicians lied, in my opinion, so there’s a surprise.

Glad I did not have to choose.

Who knows RA, but the gap between the haves and the have nots just gets wider and wider and one of the main ways the have nots can be heard is with their vote.

Micky – Only time will tell the full ramifications of the vote – but if I lived in England I would be very upset to have to abide by decisions that were contrary to our national interest. Why be a charity to the poor European nations – I don’t get it.

My 5:50 should have been to RA………..

I told my mum that Welsh shag sheep – she wants the perverts to lose 🙂 🙂 you’d never say anything like that about anyone in Poland, so she took it literally 🙂

272. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

I feel a bit sorry for the youth of England who might feel like the older generation, who have lived their life and are now happy to settle down in England, have made life more difficult for those that want to/have to go work abroad.

Beware highly dubious content, but funny nonethelesss.

275. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Adorable

Ouch, cruel goal

it would have gone in anyway

Wheres the Leprechaun when you need him?

I’m delighted for Aaron

Fellow Fans

Staggering news. Just updated my wall chart. Did you know how the draw has panned out. Easier passage top half. Croatia in final?

Top half: Poles, Croatia, Portugal, Wales, Hungary, Belgium

Bottom: Germany, Slov., Italy, Spain, France, Ireland, Eng. Iceland.

?? micky ??

Eddie

Winner of Germany V Slovakia play winner of Italy v Spain for example
    ie Final cannot be between any teams from same half of draw

One of top line will get to final

does it matter? germans will win anyway. See, I can be positive 🙂

Fair point Eddie, but as ever I live in hope. Sausagegate the night before?

sausagegate?
    and what’s that about Warsaw?

1. Give ze germans dodgy sausages the night before final
    2. I started production in Poland today. Place called Blonie, about 40 mins from Warsaw

oh really? yes, I know of Blonie, small town. Anytime you need help over there my brother’s is a good person to know. My brother isn’t, could be in Tibet for what I care

🙂

my brother’s partner is.

what.is.ian.wright.wearing. ??

p.y.j.a.m.a.s

Boring game. Now channel hopping. Bring on the pens.

Evening all, update on G back home back to himself. Unbelievable to think 24 hours previous he was connected to tubes and having drugs pumped in to him.

As LBG predicted home with an epi-pen or current branded equivalent, plus pure anti histamine. Docs aren’t convinced it was nuts due to timeline and stage of reactions, we will have full allergy screen soon, except food stress test as the risks too high.

Really weird to start thinking about nut content of food. Haven’t up to this point and he has been fine and eaten all kinds of nuts in cakes etc. Obviously he won’t be eating anymore until we know for sure. As he comes from atopy stock (eczema, hay fever and asthma run in family and he has already been diagnosed with acute discoid eczema) he has every chance of having allergic reactions to food.

Even though I suffered from eczema I never knew what caused it, basically a hyper sensitive immune system that fights any skin irritant aggressively whether necessary or not. Nut allergies and the like exactly the same, as body decides it doesn’t like proteins it has ingested and then excessive histamine released to combat but that actually creates more problems than it does benefit. You king of wonder why we just don’t use anti histamine daily.

294. oz gunner says:

Hi GIE

Glad little George is back safe and well. Hats off to you and the medics for being on top of it all. Hopefully your family never has to endure an episode like that again.

Scary t-shirt

Scary indeed LB, the sheer ridiculousness of the fall out pretty much confirms that we need another go. Councils where the leave vote won seeking to confirm EU finding will be matched by Westminster, business bodies (including NFU, CITB) saying we have to continue immigration due to skills shortage, Calais wanting to lift a million refugee seeking asylum in the UK to be moved to Kent. All predictions that anyone could have made if applying a bit of common sense.

The biggest issue is the immigration, hate mail being sent to communities of European immigrants, plus much worse that I have seen reported. The result to leave has legitimised bigots.

Most annoying is the fact that a generation of people who are likely not to see a negative effect from the vote have gambled on the future generation.

Wonder if my parents and in laws will vote differently now when I explain that all the food labelling that they will now check and check again was laid down by EU law?

My biggest annoyance was them saying that Obama wouldn’t be told what to do my another country, I had to ask what they thought the United States of America was and how its economy and laws were made at state and federal level, and all they could say was “what about Mexico?” which is still confusing me.

Sorry to read about your son GIE. Hope all is well now.
    I’m in Japan having a rest from walking around Kyoto. (Great place should be on the bucket list).
    I didn’t vote, l forgot to apply for a postal application. I was torn anyway so I am not that disappointed about missing out.
    When I look around here in Japan they don’t seem to have any problem trading with the EU.
    I expected things to be really manic but they are really laid back so much so the vibe is practically Mediterranean and as for cost? No where near as expensive as London.
    I managed to tick off an important thing from my wish list; that’s to say something I always wanted to try but never had the opportunity : sea urchin sashimi (uni) it was almost religious in experience. Must go more temples to visit.

I need to google urchin sashimi, no idea what that is. Have you seen koi carp dishwashers?

GiE – where I live now (north of north London) there were people outside the polling station telling people to tick the bottom box. They approached me and I swear – they were telling me how vile, stinking emigrants are, how this country is being taken over by muslims, how they want England for the English and pretending that they don’t mind the polish, because they work hard and fought during the war. If I even tried to mention single market, security, etc they would change the subject to the emigration again as they didn’t have a clue about the impacts of leaving.

My worse worry is the revenge from the EU. They will not offer good terms to EU now.

300. TotalArsenal says:

It is both scary and sad how some of the older generation think about the world and how this has reflected on the outcome of the referendum. Our children will not have the same travel, study and work opportunities in Europe as we had and possibly not be able to grow up in a tolerant and diverse society as we have. This will have consequences, no doubt.

More and more of the proverbial will hit a speeding up fan for a long time to come. The EU will be remorseless negotiators, making sure the rest of Europe will see how bad an exit will be for them by giving us nothing in the exit deal. We are going to pay for this so badly. There is the issue of the status of the millions of Brits abroad and Europeans in this country. The financial and employment impact on families will be significantly and structurally negative. There will be absolutely no upsight to this whatsoever, unless you enjoy scaring people, making them leave etc.

this vote was not about an informed decision about the long term benefits of staying in the EU or not; we all know what it was about, and I am disappointed in the party leaders for letting that happen. This will become to be seen as the big historic mistake by the UK with very likely to have a structurally negative impact on the rest of Europe.

Rasp, feel free to delete if you find it to political. 😳

TA – you are vile and smell 🙂

Britain with the biggest trade deficit amongst rich countries and with more than 80% of trade done in Europe is mad to leave. The biggest british export are services, EU will never allow UK to sell services on favourable terms anymore. Madness, but bigots don’t care.

Rasp – don’t you dare deleting this comment if you find it too political 🙂

We are where we are. Switzerland still manage to sell financial services. I am really excited about the prospect, although, the House of Commons is going to vote against leaving so I don’t know what is going to happen then.

LB – yep, and Switzerland have to take emigrants too. They have to pay to EU but have no right to take part in the decision making process.

304. LBG says:

Eddie and TA for that matter, I believe you are both emphasising you arguments based on how the EU is shaped/formed now. I believe a new World is imminent and certainly a new Europe.
    I want a country represented by the Jo Coxs’ of this world. I believe even our current self-seeking, bigoted MPs will understand revolution is required and they HAVE to work towards it!

Eddie.
    I wasn’t aware that Switzerland had to pay into the EU not being part of it and all. How does that work?

LBG Superb comment.

Ok, I’m sick of seeing the word Vote in the headline. If I pen a

NEW POST is there anyone to push buttons?

Hi Micky, I’m at work today, but can probably do it ……

SENT
    Rushed, but hey, maybe change is good 🙂

Thanks Rasp

….. New post everyone ……….

311. TotalArsenal says:

LBG, that is a lovely thought but you just voted for the Gove’s of this world. Time to wake up buddy.

312. Aaron says:

Said it before and will say it again:
    Giroud is a great striker who needs some rest, recovery and some goal scoring help. OX, Theo and Rambo have not helped score goals in any way to ease the burden of scoring on Giroud. (Sanchez was ran into the ground and became injured for over 1/4 of the season which did not help)
    Look what happened to costa when hazard’s scoring plummeted. Leicester had Vardy and Mahrez to score. All the other top teams in the worlds have 2-3 capable stirkers:
    chavs, manure (where do they get the endless supply of young, strong and fast talent) $h*tty, PSG, Barca, Athletico, Juve, Dortmund and Bayern…Yes Arsenal are a top team!
    Just sign someone who can contribute right now Arsenal!