Let’s Americanise Soccerball.

Four things.

1. I know nothing about North American sports.
  2. When I say “Americanise”, I include South America.
  3. I fell asleep three times last season watching Arsenal from the armchair.
  4. The Euros have churned out some very dull games.

Simplistically, there may be two ways of looking at it. Defending  (as a team, individually and tactically) is getting better, or, quality attackers are fewer and further between (combined with the tactical etc, as above).

The problem with all these theories is when you look at The Copa America (TCA) and the abundance of goals and attacking football. As I sit here, my 15 year old son as two mates staying for the weekend, and I’m staggered at their knowledge of players. One listed the entire likely Croatian starting XI way before any announcement. Anyway, he also explained to me how for the Quarter and Semi Finals of TCA, extra time is not played, instead they go straight to penalties.

We all know the lovely old tale of an Englishman explaining the rules of cricket to a bewildered American chap. It remains to this day a source of complete loss to the latter, how a match can last five days, and still end in a draw.

So my angle today is this. How the heck do we make football more exciting, and why does South America produce so many great attackers?

MickyDidIt89

382 Responses to Let’s Americanise Soccerball.

LB – UK £128 per head, Norway £108 per head, Switzerland £53per person.

micky, micky, micky my dear. you know that it all boils down to money or sex, always. No much sex on the pitch so it has to be about money.

Those south American kids do not have playstation, virtual game rooms or even smart phones to waste their money on. Some of them have a ball and not much more. And the knowledge that kicking that ball is not only fun but can get you out of powerty.

They have real hunger, that’s all.

3. LBG says:

Great post Micky
    In answer to second question – because South American kids still play outside, against walls, against their bigger neighbours, in good weather, perfecting skills that they don’t know they have, because all they are interested in is fun, excitement, the joy of being free.
    Second part more difficult – change the offside law to say you can only be offside in the 18 yard box and a line extended out from it to the touch line, and you are offside simply if you are in front of the last man ie no interfering or going to or touching the ball bollix, if the ball is played forward.

That my starter for this post…..

4. Onegun says:

3 POINTS for a win of 3 or more goals, 2 points otherwise and 1 for a draw. Only offside in 18 yard box.

Mickish,

When you said, “[by] “Americanise”, I include South America.” you actually meant you only included South America?

NB: You do realise that your 15 y.o. son (and his mates by extension) know you very well indeed – so when they gave you the entire Croatian team names including that of ‘Honka Xcrantzia, Mitzy Onelegski and Cranki Chanzki etc they were just made up? 😀

Ah ha, Onegun

You’re almost speaking my language 🙂

I haven’t worked out my extra points for goals bit, but how about 0 points for a draw? I mean, under the current system, you can get rewarded for not even scoring one goal 🙂

Oh, and football is much more interesting, Micky Mouse, when you stay awake to watch – and they produce good, toothy forwards in S America, especially Argentina, by feeding them on bulls balls from an early age. 🙂

You raise serious points RA
    Diet and the fact that my children’s mates take the piss out of me 🙂

ha ha ha
    Don’t know if this’ll work, but gotta love the paddies 🙂

Sorry
    Scroll down to 1:37 and “stand up for the French police” 🙂

Ok, come on Ireland

Whoa Ireland 1-0

Game on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early goals really help, so how about an extra point for the first goal scoring side with a free pamper session for the lad what did it 🙂

Delaying tactics, petty serial fouls and dramatically feigned injuries are used to choke a game off and waste time and slow the game down. Somehow some way this has to be addressed and changed and the offending teams penalized.

15. Chris says:

I’d suggest like in basketball, a line at 20 yards – goal scored from there counts as 2 goals. And no more ties. A tie goes into penatlies on normal competition and overtime/penalties in direct elimination. So there is no more speculating for a draw. And a yellow card should send the offender off the field for 3 minutes, like in ice hockey.

Arguing with a ref should mean a warning to the arguing’s team captain, which would stop the commotion the likes of the Chelsea players were world champions at.

Last but not least, pulling a jersey, anywhere on the field would be punished with a penalty shot. This would stop it right aways.

GN5
    Really hate the “feigned injuries”.

Chris
    Love the 3 min off for a yellow

Perhaps more of a Rugby culture, or as they say, football is where players pretend they ARE injured, rugby where they pretend they ARE NOT injured

Wow, half time, and Ireland holding on gallantly
    Opportunities for a counter goal as France push are there
    Can they hang in there?

micky – no they cannot. I have £10 on France to win the tournament.

I know you tried to gag the political debate but the latest development is just hilarious – Scotland could veto Brexit 🙂 that would be SOOOOOO funny

Chris, I get your point but there are various tyoes of penalties in ice hockey.

Minor – team play short handed for 2 minutes
    Double minor – 4 mins and shorthanded
    Major – 5 mins and shorthanded
    Misconduct – 10 mins shorthanded and ejected from the game.
    Match penalty – 5 mins shorthanded and ejection.

It’s really a lot more detailed than above but that’s the main gist.

Next up will be a Londexit……………..

Oooo that was close

There you go Eddie 🙂

And again 😦

24. Chris says:

GunnerN5,

I was thinking of the minor one, kind of like in rugby if I am not wrong.

However I’d have absolutely no problem in taking over the full Monty of penalties.

Added to the buckelist, I’d add another thing however

In major league games and tournaments, a video review would punish any unsortsmanlike conduct, mostly however the fantastic falls and flying tests in the 16 m and punish them with a match suspension.

Cheers, Micky.

Back to the post in a bit.

The Giroud dive out of the wall and then blocking France’s own free-kick is comedy gold. 🙂

Not sure he was diving Chas – I thought that both he and Pogda had both planned to duck and leave an opening for the free kick.

Interesting post, Monsieur Deeedeet.

The whole game needs perking up, you’re right.
    I like the suggestions I’ve heard so far.
    Goals equal points in some way has always seemed like a good idea to me.
    I quite like the 18 yard offside line, but most defensive lines are behind this anyway, so may not make a huge difference to us.

Here’s today’s cryptic clue .. the clever clogs among you should hold fire if you get it straight away 🙂

A South American treat on a short day comes before Ronaldo’s home ……

29. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

As an Irish person disappointed to see the team time wasting and diving.

I’ve noticed the crowd booing slow keepers since the tournament but as usual nothing is done about it.

As regards the diving, simulation, and players winning free kicks by blatantly looking to initiate contact, I don’t know. If it’s not regarded to be at epic proportions and in desperate need of addressing at this stage, I don’t know how bad it’s going to have to get.

Oh dear now both Xhaka and Ozil have missed penalties.

Do we like Hungary?
    Or Belgium for that matter?

someone here said that Belgians are wannabe French

Hungarians are ok, nice enough people. Zsa Zsa Gabor was Hungarian and Goldie Hawn is of Hungarian descent. And Liszt.

Good point Eddie, I’d forgotten something completely.

I went to the Opera in Budapest and visited The Franz Liszt School of Music (both incredible buildings), and, his house. Durrr

Oh, and, when asked whether she married for money, Gabor answered “no, darlink, I divorce for money”

see, that’s a clever girl for you! I always have to pay my exs, fool.

it looks like another boring game, back to reading about politics then

BBC 4, right now, PJ Harvey

37. Dundonald Gooner says:

Old PJ is getting weirder….

40. LBG says:

Morning Chas
    Do you think that prepare for Brevity video was written before the vote?

I bet Owen Jones has an O level, maybe Grade A, in Fluffy Bunnyism

And, bless Polly 🙂

42. chas mobile says:

It was published 21st June.
    Fluffy bunnyism. 🙂

43. TotalArsenal says:

🙈🙉🙊💣

Belgians scored 4!! and I missed it 😦

Messi quit international football after missing that pen, what a bottler

chas @ 6:46 – who is that lad, Owen Jones? Absolutely brilliant

Exceedingly shallow, simple, unresearched sound bites, Eddie

And before I get “fluffed” I’ll scarper for a few days 🙂 🙂

micky – scarper for a few years, say 2 or 3 and then you will see that Owen jones was right. Few days will just show a disintegration of the labour party who suspect Corbyn voted to leave

Morning all …. anyone got my cryptic clue yet? …

A South American treat on a short day comes before Ronaldo’s home ……

49. RC78 says:

First of all – I am so upset about Brexit 😦 But I suppose that now the wheels are in motion for the UK to leave the EU and the UK to dissolve UNLESS the Scottish Parliament vetoes the referendum’s results…

Second of all – FRANCE won but we will not win the EURO due to our poor defending

Third of all – Sunday was the best footie played so far in the EURO and Germany are looking like serious contenders

Lastly – Why do South Americans produce such good attacking talent? This is only true for Uruguay and Chili as Brazil (beside Neymar) do not have great strikers. They play street footie and then their defenders are also outstanding so you need to be creative, fast and hungry and these are qualities you find in Sanchez, Suarez, Cavani, Messi…

N.B:
    1. What did you make of Xhaka and of R. Rodriguez from Switzerrland?

2. What did you think of Hector and Draxler from Germany?

3. I am hoping for a France vs England so please do not mess up tonight vs Iceland.

I would start: Hart – Rose, Smalling, Cahill, Walker – Milner, Dier – Rooney – Lallana, Kane, Sturridge

I bring in Milner to play next to Dier as I believe that this would give more freedom to Rooney offensively. This is a game for Rooney. Plus Milner has an excellent shot from outside the box and you will need this threat to get Iceland to come out.

I see a hard fought 2-1 victory for you possible in Extra-Time and I see Rooney and Sturridge (or Lallana) to score and you going up 2-0 but conceding in the last 25 minutes with a nervy finish but you will see it through in 90 minutes. COYE

50. RC78 says:

And to make football more exciting –

-> Add the video on certain calls
    -> Give bonus points if you score more goals. So for example – if you score more than 85 goals in a season, you get an extra 3 points on the last day.

51. TotalArsenal says:

It is sad to see that a guardian journalist has done more forward planning than the entire Brexit team combined. Luckily Micky is gone in retreat to come up with the golden plan; cannot wait to read about his rock hard and common sense plan to lead the nation to prosperity and glory. No doubt it will include plenty of attackers and no defence. 😀

Ivan plays it ………………………

spain for me.
    Italians very dirty.
    poor Cesc getting nowhere

ENGLAND TEAM NEWS

Team to play Iceland: Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Alli, Dier, Rooney; Sturridge, Kane, Sterling

So the goalless Spud is preferred to Vardy ??

Grandson: Okay Grandpa I’ll help you hack Grandma’s blog –

but I never want to eat another piece of broccoli – deal?

deary me, only 18mins into the game!!

Hard to support England with 5 spuds playing.

Head and shoulders above us.This iceland defence bar the keeper is rock solid, wouldn;t mind that at Araenal .Let’s face it we just aren’t very good even if we get a result we need to rest Hart.

Unbelievable, what with 5 spuds (2 culpable for the first goal) and ol granpa Woy in charge …. We’re doomed 😦 🙂

Kane completely ineffectual and no one pulling the strings in midfield. Diet half asleep. Bring on Rashford for Kane and Jack for Dier

Haha, funny how I couldn’t give a shit about you dooming about England, kelsey. 🙂

Was the head and shoulders reference a joke about Hart?
    I bet you use L’Oreal extra body, don’t you?

Hahaaa ….. Jack is on for Dier 🙂 🙂

More people live in Cricklewood than in the whole of Iceland and yes it was Chas 🙂

Hodgeson might now get the Arsenal job 😉

at the time like now, this country needs to unite!

come on you Engerland!!!

Are we going out of Europe twice in a week 😉

We really don’t deserve to go through on this showing. Iceland beat Holland twice in qualifying

Good for Iceland, they thoroughly deserved that. The tots were all shite

jack was pretty useless, no better than a spud.

Do the honourable thing Roy, follow David Cameron’s lead

71. Well that was embarrassing

That’s probably more embarassing than the exit in Brazil, then we were transitioning from the “golden” generation to the “what next”.

This time round we had a team of youth and exuberance but still the same lack of skill that there has always been. Slow slow slow hopeful pass to nothing, the reason? No movement no ability to pass the ball ten yards and then no ability for the receiver to control it or make the best of a bad pass.

I have watched Sanchez playing for Arsenal contort his body in to a multitude of positions to control a slightly off pass, and so often he achieves it. Why have English players not got that ability?

Interesting watching Jack I think he gave up showing in the end which was disappointing but he was showing for a ball quickly to feet in space whilst the back four were looking at a row of centre forwards against defenders and wondering which one to hoof it to.

Hart has been poor this whole season and I don’t know how he has kept the jersey, he is always liable to chuck one in.

We really don’t want to be in Europe do we 😦

Boris Johnson for next England manager 🙂

Fortunately I’m no longer as emotionally tied to England as I am to Arsenal so that defeat does not mean as much to me as it does to you guy’s – but Rooney was clearly having an awful game and should have been subbed at 60 mins.

Harry “who” was absolute crap and Sterling was totally predictable – great runs up blind alleys and then give the ball away…………for the whole competition.

I guess that’s what happens when you have too much of the N17 trash on the team…….no fecking heart…………and too much hype.

Roy did the honourable thing – it may not be his fault that we are blessed with a poor batch of English players – bit it is most certainly his fault for selecting the wrong players in his starting 11 and then leaving the obvious changes until too late in the game to have a meaningful effect.

How many times will we have to watch the same scenario played out in major competitions – my only saving grace is that it will be fewer times for me than most of you……………what a bloody shambles.

Come on Iceland ——– Make us proud…………….

Morning All.

Back on AA after a few days depression following Brexit. I Remain hugely saddened by the referendum result.

Last night my Icelandic daughter-in-law came to watch the football bedecked in an Icelandic flag, carrying a bottle of Icelandic brandy and some local chocolate.

There was dancing in our apartment last night!

But how awful were England? Not totally unexpected with 5 Spuds in the team. All 4 games were shambolic.

Erik

“dancing in our apartment”

What a terrifying thought. I’m assuming Icelanders are in large part Vikings, just like that Mrs Erik, and therefore national costume to be horns and fur.

As a result the apartment must have been an exceedingly dangerous place to be, what with the clashing of antlers and so on.

Micky By midnight there was a bonfire in the yard, mead was being drunk, seal flipper and rotten whale-fat eaten, there was even some pillaging going on. It was a fearful sight.

Ive signed the petition for a rematch.

After Iceland’s second goal players seemed to resign, their body language was pitiful, no desire, no fire left in them. It will take some man to change that team. Gary Neville? Failed in Spain, but he certainly has passion

Normal then 🙂

So far today, I’ve spoked to two Germans, both massive football fans.

Let’s just say I’ve been royally sausaged, and it hurts

Well good luck to Iceland I say … I’m supporting them through the rest of the tournament….. but the Welsh can do one for celebrating our defeat 🙂

83. gnarleygeorge9 says:

At least Blighty won’t be Germanised 👍

“At least Blighty won’t be Germanised” – where did this come from??!! one of the weirdest comments on here. I thought all the foreigners were from Eastern Europe not Germany?

85. RC78 says:

I was really sorry to see this lacklustre performance from England yesterday. I was hoping for a France vs England 😦

Worse than the technical and tactical abysmal display, it was the lack of hunger from the players that was sad to see. No revolt, no leadership, no hunger, no anger – just dropped heads and shoulders.

Rashford came in and did more than Sturridge the whole game.
    Rooney was just a ghost in the second half after his good first half.

Hodgson really fudged it – you are down 2-1 and you take out Dier to bring in another midfielde? You cannot be serious…He had to bring in Rashford in for Sturridge…

Hart – Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose – Dier, Rooney – Alli – Sterling, Kane, Rashford

Sturridge was slowing down the game.
    Sterling was awful but he was at least giving issues with his pace.

Anyways – it is what it is and it was a sad and poor demise.

I think that England does well every 30 years: 66 – 96 so now we wait for 2026. That gives you 10 years to build a strong identity and team.

I was surprised to read that Wilshere was on, was he? I didn’t see him

The players capitulated with some 60+ minutes to go. Unforgivable. With so much time to play they could have easily win it IF they wanted to. They didn’t.

Every single manager of the English team is slaughtered sooner or later, but I think the fault is with the players who take no pride to represent their country. Wales, both Irish teams, Iceland showed great spirit and guts, even if they lacked in skills. There was abundance of skills amongst the English players, but no heart. WHAT is the matter with them????

I actually feel sorry for Hogson, after all it’s not his fault that a bunch of over paid ponces were the best that English football has developed. Sure he made some tactical and selection errors but in the end result it’s down to the attitude and desire of the players and that was sadly lacking.

Their performances were at best indifferent.

what is that Chas? please don’t tell me Sachez broke his leg

Sanchez did not give any information about whether his ankle was seriously injured, but wrote: “It was worth it!!! Very happy.”

Alexis Sanchez has been one of their most consistent performers since moving to the Emirates in a £35million deal from Barcelona two years.

The all-action hero put himself on the line last night as Chile successfully defended their Copa America title last night, beating last year’s finalists Argentina once again on penalties.

But despite picking up an injury, the 27-year-old pushed himself through the pain barrier before he was finally substituted in extra-time.

He took to Twitter to post a picture of his nasty looking ankle

The photo seemed to show his ankle was rather swollen.

Although he sustained the injury, it didn’t dampen Sanchez’s celebrations one bit.

His tweet read: “I soldiered on for as long as I could, and it was worth it! So happy.”

Arsene Wenger, it is reported, will grant Sanchez an extended break, like he did last summer, after his Copa America exertions.

Gunners fans will be hoping Sanchez is fully fit and raring to go come the start of the new Premier League season in August.

I have had time to think about last night.

Firstly there was clearly a management problem. How could it be possible that after a dismal first half in which England dominated that they came out and were so poor in the second. half that we did not trouble the keeper once.

It was – as I predicted – perspiration without inspiration.

Wilshere, whose talent is to beat a man and then pass was instructed to sit behind the play and make short passes.

Kane – the great white hope. Reminded me of Sanogo.

Sturrridge – a decent finisher was banished to the right wing thereby reducing the effect of Walker’s pace.

On the other wing Sterling showed his lack of intelligence. an awful performance.

But worst of all was Rooney. I like him, he is a great footballer but last night he was reduced to a performance of comedic proportions

No idea if this is true

I doubt it, but he could be good, why not

His managerial record so far is a bit ropey.

If true, it is great to have him back in the fold

Every mention of the Tony Adams story has this disclaimer attached…………….So he either knows everything or he knows nothing – only time will tell.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………

Credit to “AFC Glen” for breaking the news of Adams’ return to Arsenal.

If AFC Glen has got this story right then we should all follow him.

I heard that Micky had set up some alias accounts on twitter to start rumours.

Is AFC Glenn an anagram? 🙂

I have never had much time for Farage but then I actually made the effort to read a transcript of the speech he gave in Brussels yesterday, here’s an extract.

“Why don’t we be grown up, pragmatic, sensible, realistic and let’s cut between us a sensible tariff-free deal and thereafter recognise that the United Kingdom will be your friend; that we will trade with you, cooperate with you, we will be your best friends in the world. Do that, do it sensibly, and allow us to go off and pursue our global ambitions and future.”

Moving on……………

As much as, I would like to see Adams back in the fold for all the same sentimental reasons as everyone else, I find it hard to believe that such a thing will happen while Wenger is still in charge. It seems to me that Arsene prefers a little more sophistication from his signings and his staff.

I might be wrong but I cannot think of a working class Brit that he has brought into the club and that is obviously different to those he inherited: Adams, Parlour etc.
    Do you remember how Jeffers announced that when he heard that Arsenal wanted to sign him he went out and got absolutely smashed drunk. I just get the feeling that Wenger got frightened off after that.

People will point to Steve Bould but I would say that he is the exception that proves the rule.

Liam Brady? TH14?

Both working class boys though not Brits.

What about Neil Banfield and young Akers?

It feels like Akers was around when Bertie Mee was in charge, he has been there so long. You may be right about Banfield but was he in place before AW arrived? I can’t remember.

I would add that players coming through the ranks don’t count either or Wilshere would jump up and hit my theory over the head.
    AW does not exclusively decide which juniors are signed and which are not.

LB – you chose the nicest part of Farage’s disgraceful speech. He was booed, shouted at, laughed. A journalist asked him after if he really believed he represented interest of the UK. He didn’t answer.

He is a nutter, a dangerous one. I loved the European response – the biggest waste of money was paying your salary Mr Farage 🙂 And why are you still here? you wanted out…. (now feck off)

Tony Adams is growing on me. He has no social skills, but his passion and experience would go a long way

Eddie

I don’t think I did pick the nicest part, in my view this is:

“I know that virtually none of you have never done a proper job in your lives, or worked in business, or worked in trade, or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen.”

I am guessing you never saw his speech or read the whole transcript.

I don’t expect you to change your mind even if you did but it does make very interesting viewing.

It is readily available on Youtube

As for Tony Adams, I wrote above that I share everyone else’s sentimental attachment.

I listened to his speech live! He insulted others for no good reason. He took year in year out £50k for nothing! Attended 3 meetings only.

And the stupid arguments about German workers, sorry LB, he did Britain no favours. Loathsome figure and a skillful liar.

The Tour de France starts on Saturday Eddie, I know it is not your thing whenever the subject comes up you dismiss it out of hand as being a bunch of cheats (I paraphrase of course) but I just wanted to say that Poland really does have some fine riders.

Oh, and Germany sell a lot of cars in the UK, if there were to be tariffs imposed that number would be reduced which as Farage was pointing out could put German car workers jobs at risk.

Not stupid at all, I think many would agree that it is a rather good way to start a negotiation.

110. RC78 says:

Brexit sucks so bad – I can’t understand why over 17 Million voted to leave out of the biggest trading block must integrated union in the world.

You are going to pay a heavy price:
    – Pound is down against the Dollar, which means huge increase of your gas price;
    – Your per capita cost to the Single Market will be at least the same as you are currently paying but you will not have a voice in decisions anymore
    – Your border controls will not be enhanced because you cannot get more than you already have since you are not in Schengen
    – Your workforce at home is going to suffer heavily in some industries and your companies will be less productive and competitive and your UK workforce abroad is stranded
    – While your trade balance is negative towards the EU Block, it still represents a huge input in your own market and you get the money back through VAT and other taxes…
    – More worrying for you is the distinct possibility to cease to exist as the UK.

I am truly hoping that the Scottish and Northern Irish parliaments will not recognize the results of the consultative referendum and that they push for a stricter negotiation of the Lisbon treaty that will accomodate and appease some of the anti-EU citizens across the UK.

LB 🙂 I love tour de France, watched it since I was a kid. Yes, Poland has a long tradition in cycling. I actually don’t think the sport is full of cheats. I read LA’s book and believed every word in it. Having said that if you look at what the cyclists have to do to complete the Tour is on verge of impossible, hence the suspicion that you have to be on drugs to endure it.

Farage upset the EU unnecessarily. Watch the reaction to his speech as opposed to the speech of the Scottish representative. Jock was grovelling and they loved it. Farage insulted and they will punish him for it – you cannot fight 26 opponents, not even if you are English.

RC78 – I doubt it is going to be as bad as that, but this country is not going to be better off, no way. Europe will make sure that others are warned off leaving

We are where we are RC but rather than wallowing in doom and gloom some of us want to try and find the best way of dealing with it.

stiff upper lip 🙂 🙂

114. RC78 says:

Eddie / LB – I am hoping for the UK sake that the situation will not be all doom and gloom but at the moment, the line from the 27 EU MS is that they will make it hard and expensive for the EU to opt out of the EU and activate Article 50. Why? To discourage others…They will make an example of the UK.

Ultimately – the UK is in this situation because of internal politics within the Conservative party. That said – we have to respect the vote as it is the dictatorship of the majority that prevails in a democracy.

Your only hopes are:

– Scotts and Northern Irish do not recogniwe the results (highly unlikely but would be welcome);
    – Germany stand by the UK and basically makes it easier for you (more likely but Angela will isolate herself and I am not sure she wants that. Hollande already 5-6 key allies including Italy and Poland that have big populations).

I truly hope that things will work out as my wife is English but I am not dreaming either…

LB,

Not to take sides in an outcome that will have little or no effect on me personally I believe that as this is a done deal therefore the only way to go is forward – and get behind the new leaders.

After all they will be creating your passports to your new future..

116. RC78 says:

Higuain wants to leave Napoli leaving the door open for:

– Him to join Dortmund and Aubemayang to come to the EPL;
    – Him to join Chelsea or Arsenal in the EPL
    – Him to join PSG

GN5

That is how I see it. I would not have had a problem if Remain had won but there is a part of me that is excited about the prospect of being able to negotiate better deals. Maybe we will maybe we won’t but until that is certain the optimist in me will always believe that we can.

LB,

Those with investments in the stock market will now be weeping over lost share value. But with the pound losing value it should have an enormously positive effect on both exports and tourism which in time will lead to the market re-bounding.

I have no idea of the value of British exports to the European Union vs imports from them – but the countries that have large exports to the UK will be loathe to increase the tariff’s on the UK’s exports to the Union for fear of the UK retaliating.

119. LBG says:

LB – Thank God ( of whatever flavour) for optimists!
    RC – 12.15 “Your only hope…..
    Our only hope is that a bit of honest to good sanity prevails in our Representatives and they realise their own agendas must be forfeited for an agreed approach to negotiation with the EU, based around the best “free trade” deals possibl, preservation of our Welfare State, our NHS, jobs for the populace preserved, and most of all, recognition that kindness and generosity to you neighbours of whatever colour, race or creed, is what SHOULD, make the world go, peaceably, round.
    Yes my large glass is always half full.

are LBG and LB 2 different guys? 🙂

“kindness and generosity to you neighbours”??!! I don’t think so.

Anyway, Gareth Southgate is a runaway favourite for the English job, the footballing job. The country is looking for 3 top leaders, just as well they found one 🙂

121. LBG says:

Yes Eddie two different postees
    “Kindness and generosity”…..I don’t think so😠
    Why don’t you try Eddie, you might be surprised!

122. RC78 says:

LBG – at best you will get a trade deal like Norway which equates to paying as much as you already do per capita but losing your voting right…

LBG – I did try, it doesn’t work for me. No good deed ever goes unpunished (English); if you have soft heart you should have hard arse for kicking (Polish). No thank you.

Slavan Bilic for England? Good manager.

124. LBG says:

RC78
    Disagree. A sea change is coming, since Spain, Portugal, Italy, Holland, let alone Greece are all lost in a quagmire. Major problem occurs if right wing factions like Le Pen get power, but I still believe in the potential sanity of leaders and a New Europe.

125. LBG says:

Southgate interim.. 25-1 Hiddink longer term is my bet.

126. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Me and my sister were trying to think of prospective England managers earlier and had nothing.

Gus Hiddink seems the obvious choice now that you mention it. How does it make you feel that while your suggestion makes lots of sense, Harry Rednapp, who is paid for his opinion, is suggesting Sam Alardyce?

David Coburn MEP, the leader of UKIP Scotland, went on Periscope on behalf of his right-wing political party.

Coburn was miffed at not being invited to the Scottish Leaders’ Debate on STV, and so set up a live broadcast on the video streaming app, by way of an alternative channel of communication to his electorate.

That’s all well and good, but there were a few technical difficulties to start with. Microphone issues meant that not everyone tuning in could hear what Coburn had to say.

After a new few false starts, everything seemed to be in order. Except, in the meantime, mischievous viewers had decided to hatch a quite brilliant plan to rip the almighty p*ss.

One of the great virtues of Periscope is that it allows those watching to post live comments that the broadcaster can view on their screen. It makes the whole thing brilliantly interactive.

Dear God, how can people not see the opportunities if, for example, the frogs do put up trade barriers.

Me? Going to become a Cornish smuggler. Boat. Secret coves. Lanterns. Buxom women. Superb, cannot wait.

Chas at 5:50 ha ha ha so funny

ooops 5:30

Hmmmmmm………..buxom women – I’m in. 🙂

132. LBG says:

“Take your shirt off. David” Brilliant

Buxom women. Tax evasion. Coves. Sounds great.

That said, I prefer a strong welfare state, independent women, beaches that are not covered in oil and dog excrement, and electric cars

Still interested in the buxom women though

I liked “what is your policy on cake?”

Missing the footie?
    Buxom women?

Erik
    My boat will “run silent”, ie under canvas, so no oily engine.
    You aboard?
    Chas is so long as we have an independent buxom wench 🙂

I’m there as long as I can bring some “medicine”

We’re going to France to GET THE BLOODY MEDICINE, you bloomin’ hippy 🙂

So it’s a deal then
    I’ll get the compass. Chas can point it at things. We sail at dusk

Damn, by dusk I will be in Italy. Leave at just after dawn tomorrow. Excited.

Hadn’t thought of that – smugglers smuggle don’t they? Durrrrhhh

I didn’t think you’d really thought things through
    Mind you, planning is for wimps and we’re smugglers. Grrrr

Wow, you’ll be in Italy for their game against Germany. That’ll be a great night if they win

Ok. Have a great time

Nite all

and what about me? I am not a buxom woman. can I go with you?

in Europe you need someone who can speak polish

Sorry Eddie. Female pirates have to have some bux. That is just how it is in the post EU world

😦 😦 I can swear, not wash for days and catch a fish. Please reconsider.

Can you do anything else?

can you play the viola?

pirate walks into a bar and the bartender says, “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while. What happened, you look terrible!”
    “What do you mean?” the pirate replies, “I’m fine.”
    The bartender says, “But what about that wooden leg? You didn’t have that before.”
    “Well,” says the pirate, “We were in a battle at sea and a cannon ball hit my leg but the surgeon fixed me up, and I’m fine, really.”
    “Yeah,” says the bartender, “But what about that hook? Last time I saw you, you had both hands.”
    “Well,” says the pirate, “We were in another battle and we boarded the enemy ship. I was in a sword fight and my hand was cut off but the surgeon fixed me up with this hook, and I feel great, really.”
    “Oh,” says the bartender, “What about that eye patch? Last time you were in here you had both eyes.”
    “Well,” says the pirate, “One day when we were at sea, some birds were flying over the ship. I looked up, and one of them shat in my eye.”
    “So?” replied the bartender, “what happened? You couldn’t have lost an eye just from some bird ****!”
    “Well,” says the pirate, “I really wasn’t used to the hook yet.”

Long ago, when sailing ships ruled the waves, a captain and his crew were in danger of being boarded by a pirate ship. As the crew became frantic, the captain bellowed to his First Mate, “Bring me my red shirt!”
    The First Mate quickly retrieved the captain’s red shirt, which the captain put on and led the crew to battle the pirate boarding party.

Although some casualties occurred among the crew, the pirates were repelled. Later that day, the lookout screamed that there were two pirate vessels sending boarding parties. The crew cowered in fear, but the captain, calm as ever, bellowed, “Bring me my red shirt!”

Once again the battle was on. However, the Captain and his crew repelled both boarding parties, though this time more casualties occurred.

Weary from the battles, the men sat around on deck that night recounting the day’s occurrences when an ensign looked to the Captain and asked, “Sir, why did you call for your red shirt before the battle?”

The Captain, giving the ensign a look that only a captain can give, exhorted, “If I am wounded in battle, the red shirt does not show the wound and thus, you men will continue to fight unafraid.”

The men sat in silence marveling at the courage of such a man. As dawn came the next morning, the lookout screamed that there were pirate ships, 10 of them, all with boarding parties on their way.

The men became silent and looked to the Captain, their leader, for his usual command. The Captain, calm as ever, bellowed, “Bring me my brown pants!”

GN5
    Good work to get a couple of pirate jokes in.

Ok, now, what’s all this about hot pirate babes dot com?

Football is back. Hip hip…

Morning All.

BR and family heading South for a few weeks R&R.

Hopefully we will have signed a striker (Draxler would be good) upon my return

Morning Didit. I can just see you as a pirate. What a great answer to give when asked “What is your Profession”?

Bon voyage

Erik
    I had a mate once who was trying to make his way as a rock ‘n roll star and was signing on. Being work shy, when asked his profession, he replied “shepherd”
    Few opportunities existed for a shepherd living in a squat in Camden Town

raddy – no, I cannot do anything else with any proficiency.

Right, Southgate doesn’t want the English job. All eyes are on Wenger! That would be really good, AW goes to manage the national team and we can have a new, shining manager 🙂 But whom? the best ones are gone. I know, Slavan Bilic, I really like him. Or Pochettino

Lots of reports today supporting the comment from Chas about Tony Adams coaching the under 18s but still no confirmation from Arsenal.

chas @ 8:50 – they are implants you doughnut

Eddie @ 8.50 – they are alabaster, you plonker

alabaster or silicone, who cares, fakes! that’s what they are 🙂

are you watching me country taking on Pepe and the batty man?

162. TotalArsenal says:

Powodzenia, Evonski!

Come on Poland

dziekuje TA 🙂 🙂

Are there any players Gunners should be “eyeing”?

…when the boys in red and white are a flipping dynamite… oh no, they are in white, yiikks

yeah, Pazdan and Kapustka

yes yes yes

Oh bugger, just googled the Sanches fella
    Off to Bayern 😦

beautiful goal.
    How much that Ronato cost?

sorry, promise not to google any more Portugese players

oh no micky, so it was your fault

I’ve been furiously googling Polish players ever since

I do need a winner as I’m too tired to do extra time

175. LBG says:

William Carvalho showing all the ability in central midfield that explains AW interest before his injury.

Ah LBG
    How’s the black lab?
    Mine’s good 🙂

this is really weird – I was just about to ask about Dotty, for no apparent reason 🙂

Kapustka is on, good kid with a stupid name. Watch him

She’s definitely got her paws under the table, so to speak. Happy.

good! every dog deserves a good home 🙂 ok, cats too.

extra time it is, poo

Ok, best of luck Eddie
    Knackered
    Nite all

182. LBG says:

Micky
    Brady is thriving. 2 years old in a month’s time. Still eating anything and everything. Very bidable and full of energy and unconditional love. No regrets from me as my first dog.

LBG – first dog? are you a teen?

184. LBG says:

You’d be surprised, Eddie!
    Morning all

plan C for me – Poland is out, England is out, come on France!

6:54 Paul Mariner?

Transfer window opens today
    I think

Eddie
    Sorry about Poland

cheers micky, it was sad to see Blaszczykowski of all players missing a pen. It happens. I am still delighted to see polish team better than I have seen them for at least 35 years.

maybe I should support Wales? Can they really beat Germany? I think not

Eddie
    Wales Belgium tonight
    They only have to fluke a goal or two, then park up 🙂

is it Belgium tonight? I thought it’s Germany. yes, they can do it, it’d be fantastic

Take a look at this about Sanchez, it’s in Spanish but the pictures tell the story.

LB

It’s a bruise, and he’ll be given time off anyway, besides, he’s tough and resilient. His South American, not European you know 🙂

he has hairless legs, that’s strange

195. RC78 says:

Belgium – Wales tonight…

Renato Sanches gone to Bayern Munich for 45 Mln + 35 Mln bonus.

Carvalho is having a tidy Euro so far. Solid player.

I think Poland played it too safe – everytime they attacked, they were dangerous – shame did not do more of it.

PKs are horrible – just a lottery really.

Portugal is in the semis having drawn all the group stage game, beaten Croatia at 117th minute and beaten Poland at PK. So technically, Portugal has not won a single match in regular time but it does not matter as they are already through to the semis.

196. fatgingergooner says:

It looks like Takuma Asano is our new star striker target!

You Tube videos suggest he’s an Eduardo type striker who has quick feet and is a natural finisher.

Logic suggests he’s a Park/Miyaichi type who is good for selling shirts abroad!

In fairness he does actually look like he’s got a fair bit of talent.

Breaking news:

Giggs leaving Man Utd after 29 years

Ryan Giggs ends his 29-year stay at Manchester United by agreeing a settlement with the Old Trafford club.

Micky,

The PL summer transfer window is from July 1st to Aug 31st.

199. JM says:

EURO winners since 1980 (expansion to 8 or more teams):

1980: West Germany
    1984: France
    1988: Netherlands
    1992: Denmark *
    1996: Germany
    2000: France
    2004: Greece *
    2008: Spain
    2012: Spain
    2016: ????????

* Upset wins for underdogs vs favourites in the final: (Denmark 2-0 Germany) and (Greece 1-0 Portugal)

2016 ?? could be due with another upset win on the cards: Wales and Iceland are the major potentials (with Belgium and Portugal being this edition’s dark-horses after being drawn in the weaker half of the knockout rounds).

Furthermore, Iceland has 6 different scorers (from their defenders, midfielders and forwards – i.e. any of their players on the pitch can score, which is dangerous for other defences) and are astonishing unbeaten alongside the heavyweights like France, Germany and Portugal.

Britain and America are in a neck to neck race to see who can screw up their country the most –

Britain are in the lead but America holds the Trump card.

201. chas mobile says:

6.54am is Vladimir Petrovic

8 large cod and chips with 5 portions of mushy peas
    Pronto
    Need to get back for the football

203. fatgingergooner says:

Ibrahimovic is a stunning player, but I’m not convinced that at nearly 35 he’s going to be that good for United. In fact I think he could become a liability with his temper and attitude. He’s been tossing it off in the French League for a while but the defenders in the PL will be kicking lumps out of him.

Glad he’s in the PL though as he’s great entertainment and could prove to be a brilliant United signing. I’m not convinced though.

go Aaron, go!!!!!!

And……………….away we go

I hate that weirdo. But it was a terrific strike

On the positive side, an early goal has to be good news

Wales, Wales,
    Bloody great fishes are Wales

Wales playing for pens in the unlikely event they don’t concede anymore and spawn one on the break.

Feel like I ate one earlier at the chippy

What? A spawn?

I doubt Wales are playing for pens with Courtois in goal

Eddie
    How else they gonna win?

A bloody whale not a little’effing frog 🙂

I quite fancy a whale steak compared to seal flipper pie.

they have Aaron. They will win.
    but I am too tired to watch it, eventful day, burned down my car in the morning, almost bled to death in the afternoon, need to go to bed now, laters

yesssssssssssss

oh brilliant!!!! I am going to stay a bit longer

Cmon WALES

shit a brick Eddie
    you don’t do things by halves

both sets of fans brilliant

micky – true. that’s me car going down in flames 😦 😦

What the hell do you keep in your car?

Hate to ask, but the nearly bleeding to death?
    Crocodile attack?

Superb half

Eddie always keeps incendiary material close to her person.

Did you save the number plate?

Reckon Lukaku is a bit of salad dodger
    Any thoughts Chas?

Let’s play a game
    What minute first Fellaini elbow in face
    I’ll go first.63rd minute 🙂

yessssss yes yessss

231. chas mobile says:

If that was Messi

Fellaini yellow 59 mins 🙂
    Elbow coming

233. fatgingergooner says:

Ramsey showing everyone what Arsenal fans already know, he’s a number 10! The one position in the Arsenal midfield he can’t get in!

234. chas mobile says:

Savage just called Thomas Vermaelen, Vertonghen. Robbie knows his football.

235. fatgingergooner says:

Wales showing Harry Kane how good set pieces can be very useful!

The compilation of Kane set pieces at this tournament is hilarious.

It’s Vertongal isn’t it?

interesting point FGG

237. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

If only Savage had Robson-Kanu’s composure, he might’ve been able to explain the goal without dribbling on the mic!

That goal finally proves that Kanu is Hal’s dad! What a turn.

238. chas mobile says:

FGG
    Trouble is Rambo still thinks he’s that number ten even when picked as holding midfielder.
    Maybe he’ll ask for his move to Barcelona.
    Cmon Wales, we love you even if eaters of seal flipper pie (Icelander and Dane) are preferable to the English.

239. chas mobile says:

Belgium has a team of magicians. Then the ball goes to Fellini.

Feck, Arsenal interest in the Semi has now gone.

240. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

Totally agree. If only we could sign a quality CB and a quality HM player who are capable of covering if we play Özil and Ramsey in midfield. Hmmm…

241. chas mobile says:

Fellini ought to direct his headers better

242. chas mobile says:

Ramsey and Ozil in midfield? In the Prem? Are you kidding?

wow

244. fatgingergooner says:

What a header!

245. fatgingergooner says:

Isn’t that the Dream Chas? Finding a way to get all our best players in a line up that works? If not then we might aswell sell half of these attacking midfielders we have!

246. fatgingergooner says:

Wales v Iceland final?

That was the best game so far. Really superb.
    Terrible for Aaron

248. chas mobile says:

Yep, that is the dream. 🙂
    What about a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke ?

249. fatgingergooner says:

At least Rambo will be well rested for the final.

Wales were outstanding tonight. Portugal will do well to beat them. Extra time and pens maybe?

250. fatgingergooner says:

It’s all in the mind Chas. Stoke play football these days as do most teams. If you really want to tighten up then that’s why the likes of Coquelin are there.

I really like the look of Xhaka and if we can add a CB and a ST then we are good to go, but ultimately I still think we will fall short if we insist on playing a formation that leaves some of our better players on the bench or out of position.

If you can’t get Rambo and Wilshere in the side then sell them and get a quality striker and a RW that is worth a place in the team. Maybe then we will have a chance. Putting Ramsey on the bench or asking him to play HM whilst playing the likes of Walcott or Campbell is a waste of time.

251. JM says:

In the meantime, elsewhere in France ….

wales won 3:1??????????!!!!!!!!!!! omg, this is sooooo awesome 🙂 🙂

Goal above is just superb, I wish I watched it

about the car and bleeding to death. No idea how it happened, I was driving on M25 and couldn’t see anything in the mirrors. I realised it was a cloud of smoke and it was coming from my car. I drove very slowly to a hard shoulder, got out and saw flames under the car. The reg melted to nothing.

When I was waiting for the fire brigade (2 lanes were closed) some cars passing by were beeping cheerfully. I am sure it was because of the reg on the back of the car. So I ripped it off, it is safe.

Everything inside has burned almost completely.

Trying to recover things I cut my finger really badly, could not stop the bleeding, must have hit a vain or something. It’s fine now.

Just a nightmare. it was such a brilliant car, how is it possible?

fantastic seanes from Cardiff 🙂

So, Eddie, just to clarify

The car what was on fire, which also had a petrol tank full of explody fuel, was approached by you to salvage the number plate

Is that correct?

no, the tank was only half full and I went to get the number plate after the fire brigade gave me a go ahead. Not completely stupid 🙂

It never exploded, I was waiting for something you see on films, but nothing, it just disintegrated slowly. Apparently diesel is not as flammable as petrol

I am putting a brave face on, but I’m gutted

Blimey, poor you

What a brilliant result for Wales, I’ve been cheering them on since the start – much to Rasp’s horror!! Such a shame Rambo won’t play in the semi-final. His passing and movement were just magic last night. What a tournament he’s had.

Eddie’s car fire was very very scary, if it had exploded there would have been carnage, the M25 was crawling along at that time. Excellent that the fire service got there quickly and that Eddie is safe.

flippin heck – sounds awful

I was only kidding about the number plate.

thanks guys, Peaches was a star. She went to see my mum and passed the phone to her, so I could tell the she-devil I’m going to be late. Thanks Peaches 🙂

I am very down, no car, no money, insurance will probably stitch me up…but I am happy for Wales 🙂

262. TotalArsenal says:

Thinking about you, Evonski.

never mind thinking TA- can you lend me some money for a new car?

What an awful experience for you to have to endure Eddie. Let’s hope the insurance at least gets you some relief, usually a policy allows a rented vehicle for a few weeks until things get sorted.

Good luck……….

thanks GN5! I don’t trust insurers – you are insured until you claim. main things is that I wasn’t hurt. If the flames blew at me I could have been dead, I was driving fairly fast on the motorway. But it was such a good car with very low mileage, I am gutted, won’t be able to buy anything similar now.

just let’s hope Germany loses tonight, that would cheer me up. Or maybe my grandson will be born at long last (already 8 days overdue) 🙂

266. TotalArsenal says:

I can chip in a few quit, Evonski. Why don’t you open up a rescue AA account and we can all contribute? 😍

I’m not a flipping charity 🙂 there is a bike in the garage

will Italy win tonight?

Blimey Eddie. Glad that you are alright.

Well done to Wales. I know the Welsh wouldn’t support the English in the reverse situation but I can’t help but be pleased for them. FGG knows I share the same view as he expressed earlier regarding Ramsey and his best position. I have a feeling it will be a problem for us again next season.

The last time an England team looked cohesive and were playing like a team that could win a tournament was at France 98…..almost 20 years ago.

Personally I feel that the F.A like to appoint steady Eddies ( not our one 🙂 ) that will not cause them any P.R issues, and the success of the national team is a secondary consideration.

Keegan’s tenure was a bit of a disaster but ever since 2001 and the appointment of Eriksson we have had 3 successive managers that I feel are cut from the same cloth. For me they all have an Italian style of management which I think is fine with a team of Italian players that have been schooled in that style since an early age, but is too cute and tricky for footballers that have been schooled towards a high energy fast paced game.

Vincent Kompany made a statement that resonated with me at half time of the Italy vs Spain game when he said that the Italian performance was a perfect example of a national team playing to their cultural strengths.

For these last 16 years I don’t feel we have had a manager that has tapped into our cultural strengths and they have all tried to make us something we are not. I would like to see someone who releases the shackles and allow the team to play in that high paced way. Get the ball from back to front quickly, and I don’t mean from purely long balls, and then get balls into the danger areas so quickly that the other team has little time to react or organise.

It has its weaknesses but most styles do. Maybe it will look a bit frenetic at times with less time in possession of the ball but maybe the strengths will outweigh the weaknesses. Other nationalities are not always prepared for or happy playing against this style of game, but it is what we are good at.

What is there to lose anyway. The last 15 years have shown that trying to get more technical and cute doesn’t do us any favours anyway, and we do have good enough technical players to apply some decent football to the high paced game. Just not sure who is the right manager to look to to try something a bit different.

I wouldn’t accept the English job, poisoned chalice

We, Poland, had almost 40 years of pain; different managers, different players, different competitions, all boiling down to nothing. This year something has clicked, finally. I could see the improvement, the passion, the desire. The team were met at the Warsaw airport cheering ‘Thank you!’

I will happen for England, just not yet. It’s a shame Southgate didn’t take the job, he would be perfect, but not if he didn’t want it.

it will happen…..bla bla bla

On to Arsenaly type matters. The window has just opened but it seems some of our EPL rivals have been securing deals or are about to secure imminent deals with players even while they were at the Euros.

I hope Arsene has a couple of tricks up his sleeve and some nice surprises for us soon. I must admit, considering our recent approaches to the summer TW, to getting a bit twitchy that we will end up empty handed or be feeding off the scraps at the last knocking’s of the window.

Xhaka was a great start but it would be nice to have all that we need in place early to have the full pre-season getting aclimatised and used to their new team mates. This would give us the best chance to start the campaign strongly with no hiccups.

Similarly, although I know these are just rumours, if players like Kos and Sanchez are thinking about other options it would be nice for them to be saying oooh, look who is coming here, I think I would like to hang around and be a part of this.

The striker is paramount for me. I really don’t believe we can secure one of the doing it right now proven 25+ a season top strikers in this particular TW. I think our time for striking a deal for one of them was a year ago, but we didn’t. I quite like the look of the lad Icardi at Inter myself.

Haha Eddie, I was quite looking forward to you happening for England.

273. Come on Eddie, maybe we could do the England gig together. Actually Tricia might want a piece of the action too and my friend Barbara now that she’s steered the Welsh team to the semi-final.

Looks like women are going to be running the world so why not football too. What could be so hard 😃

274. We’d let our AA mates have their say too 😃😃😃😃😃

275. ……..final decision with the girls though ……..

Just realised Chas that the Mrs Merton picture was because Caroline Aherne had passed away. Very sad. She was a seriously talented woman and the Royle family is one of the funniest and well observed sit-coms in many recent years.

Peaches, can you and Eddie stop all those nasty people shouting mean things at that poor man in the black…after all what has he ever done to hurt anyone 🙂

me is jinx and for this reason I am out.

Good luck to you and Trish, god help the players 🙂 🙂

Good luck to Theresa May, god help this country 🙂 🙂

RIp Ms Aherne, poor girl suffered immeasurably with recurring cancer.

280. TotalArsenal says:

We are all charity cases, Evonski. 😍😍

You speak for yourself Commander Fluffy Bunny 🙂

Evening all
    Italy for all I take it?

282. TotalArsenal says:

Good comments, GB.

The players England have are fully capable of playing proper football and a lot of progress has been made but, just as with the EU, you can move forward or fall back nostaligically to what you know best.

The Germans and Spanish were able to transform their ‘national styles’ and that is why they have picked up the big prices in the last ten years.

England need a good manager to complete the transformation. Arsene would be ideal, but the Brits deserve a Brit. 😂

283. fatgingergooner says:

Tonight there are 15 players who are 1 yellow card away from missing the semi-final. I really believe there needs to be a re-think about the card accumulation rule as the way yellows are handed out these days means we are missing out on watching big players play in the big matches. Ramsey is a prime example and no doubt there will be more victims tonight.

Do the Italians have enough fire power to beat the Germans?
    I’m not so sure

Ok, Forza Italia as I think Erik would say

Ok, GB/Total/FGG ie Tactical Technician Gentlemen

3-5-2. Ollie and Sanchez, with Kos in the centre at the back
    Just googled, and Bonucci is just one inch taller than Kos

yep, Italy for all

Eddie
    Disappointed you’ve ruled yourself out of the England job, although delighted Peaches’ name is still in the hat

micky – I do know my limitations.
    I was lecturing for a few months, but had to rule myself out of that job too. I was so biased that I would have probably be fired, it was just a matter of time.

Peaches will do well, she has plenty of practice with 2 spuds so give her 3 more and she’ll love it. I would probably select ian wright rather than Harry Kane for the Iceland game 🙂

this ref loves his yellow cards

291. fatgingergooner says:

What do we make of centre half’s taking penalties?

Bonnuci
    Ramos

Any others?

292. fatgingergooner says:

Apparently that was Bonucci’s first ever professional penalty! Wtf!? Can’t believe they had him take it.

Yeah, amazing stat

Italy teams always have enormous shorts
    Hope that observation is helpful

You can normally rely on at least one German to have a mullet

Not one. Pathetic

Damn, but a great shoot out

297. RC78 says:

Laurent Blanc used to take PKs and rather well and I think Baresi and Brehme as well…

Well done to Wales – showed spirit and quality. Two Arsenal Players in the Semis with Ozil and Ramsey although Ramsey is suspended…

Nerves were really the stars of the PK Session…

Ozil needs to stop taking penalties

Tomorrow France will try to end Island’s dream – I think Giroud will be key to this match and I bet on him to actually put the game to bed for France with a goal and an assist.

I just had a thought.

Women should put pictures of missing husbands on Beer cans.

I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse.
    I can’t afford one. So I’m wearing my garage door opener.

I’ve gotten that dreaded furniture disease.
    That’s when your chest is falling into your drawers!

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Please, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

303. Is anyone interested in the fact we’ve signed a new striker?

He’s already getting torn to pieces on Twitter even though most have never seen him play. Good old Arsenal!

Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Japan forward Takuma Asano from Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

The 21-year-old, who made his senior international debut in 2015, has proved a big success in his homeland since making his club debut at the age of 18.

His move to Arsenal is still dependent on the completion of a medical and receiving the necessary international clearance.

Asano has already been part of two J1 League-winning sides and was voted as the league’s rookie of the year in 2015 when he scored nine goals in 34 appearances.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, who managed in Japan with Nagoya Grampus Eight, said: “Takuma is a talented young striker and very much one for the future.

“He has had an impressive start to his career in Japan and we look forward to him developing over the next couple of years.”
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………..

All I would say is that I wish the future had already started – because if I remember correctly we are overloaded with future prospects!!

FGG – maybe it’s Asano?

Takuma Asano 🙂 thanks fattie, hardly worth checking him out. Did LB recruit him??

can we have a poll – who is more pathetic looking – geezer in lime shorts or Gove?

Peaches and I have a baby 🙂 A new Gunner lad 🙂

cheers chas 🙂

my cat is sad because the house is so bright, there is nowhere for her to have a nap 😦 I will have to make a catflat in the wardrobe for her I suppose

I know this means very little but our new Japanese striker does have a very impressive You Tube reel.

Even on that you can see why the club has taken a punt. Do we have a fee estimate yet 1.5…..2mil? Seems silly not to.

Why do we still do this to ourselves? I know I am one of the worst culprits. We get really excited about signing someone we have actually heard of but we all know in the back of our minds that what we will get is someone that we never had a clue that he existed.

The thing is I suppose is that we also have no idea if he will turn out to be better than Vardy.

Arsene knows though………….

Bah, enough of that he now plays for Arsenal, of course he is going to be good.

312. Aaron says:

Said it before and will say it again:
    Giroud is a great striker who needs some rest, recovery and some goal scoring help. OX, Theo and Rambo have not helped score goals in any way to ease the burden of scoring on Giroud. (Sanchez was ran into the ground and became injured for over 1/4 of the season which did not help)
    Look what happened to costa when hazard’s scoring plummeted. Leicester had Vardy and Mahrez to score. All the other top teams in the worlds have 2-3 capable stirkers:
    chavs, manure (where do they get the endless supply of young, strong and fast talent) $h*tty, PSG, Barca, Athletico, Juve, Dortmund and Bayern…Yes Arsenal are a top team!
    Just sign someone who can contribute right now Arsenal!

Na, na, na, na-na-na

Poor old Iceland are getting their arses whipped – still it does go to show how completely s**t England were 😦

315. chas mobile says:

Na, na, na, na-na-na

316. The Giroud lovers will be happy 😃 two very good goals and an assist.

Denis bergkamp 🙂

318. I suspect you could be right there Rasp 😃

319. JM says:

The final four.

Going to be limited access for a few days, but would be a whole lot better if someone could put up a clean page

On my portable, you have to swipe all the way down through 300+ comments

Even then, Apple telephones don’t remember who you are and have to sign in every time you want a go

Any solutions?

Hope the fee for Takuma Asano comes out of the Marketing budget, rather than Transfer kitty

Could be an accounting solution to FFP 🙂

Test Chas

Am I?

Bollocks. Did exactly as told. Switched off, then on, and guess what….. “Who the hell are you?”

Thanks for trying Chas

325. fatgingergooner says:

Aaron,

Have to agree with you about Giroud. Having a player like Griezmann playing off him gives a different dimension and another serious goal threat. We do have a Sanchez who could that job, but if you play him next to Giroud then where does Özil go?

Could we scrap the idea of wingers and play a 4321?

Cech
    Bellerin Gab Kos Monreal
    Ramsey Xhaka Elneny
    Özil Sanchez
    Giroud

I actually really like this formation as we still have width through full backs and the likes of Ramsey and Elneny would be able to get up and support with the engines they have. You could easily put Cazorla or Wilshere in a number of those positions aswell and get the best from them. This formation also allows us to get our better players in the areas they want to play. Ramsey can attack with freedom knowing he has cover and Sanchez and Özil can effect play around the box.

326. RC78 says:

If you want the most out of Giroud, you indeed need to play as a 4-3-2-1 or a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-1-2.

In a 4-2-3-1, you would need to have Ozil improve his finishing skills or move him on the left to have Sanchez in the middle.

Otherwise, we play a 4-3-1-2 and Sanchez roams around the attacking line behind Giroud…

Cech – Bellerin, RECRUIT, Kos, RECRUIT – Ramsey, Xhaka, ? – Ozil – Giroud or recruit, Sanchez

The third position in the middle is tricky – do you play Wilshere or El Neny?

In any case – we would need 6 midfielders:
    Coquelin, Xhaka, El Neny
    Ramsey, Wilshere, OXLADE (he can be our wild card in the middle)

Ospina – RECRUIT, BFG, Gabriel, Gibbs – Oxlade, Coquelin, ? – Cazorla – RECRUIT or Giroud, Walcott

“The third position in the middle is tricky – do you play Wilshere or El Neny?”

Quite easy really, it depends on the opposition.

328. RC78 says:

LB – or the injury status :-p

Mata is to leave Man Utd – I am happy to bring him to our squad. He is a quality player.

RC

Don’t we already have enough of that type of player. As things stand we can’t even find space in the same team for Ramsey and Ozil.

330. RC78 says:

LB – We can make space for Mata in a 4-3-3, he can play on the left or the right up front 🙂

331. Aaron says:

Arsenal need some P A C E up front to compliment Giroud. Not Theo as he has no close control or soft first touch whatsoever, same goes for Ox. All of these other wingers/forwards that most on here talk about have it. When Arsenal absorb the other teams pressure there is no one to counter that pressure, hence the move for Vardy as that guy is fast with some control.
    There is someone out there lets see if Arsenal can get their guy. Am not talking about someone who can dribble like Messi in the box, but would take that too in addition to the other archtype winger/forward.!

Absolutely Aaron.

Please, please, please West Ham, please sign Theo Walcott, if this happens then AW will have no choice but to push the boat out and sign exactly what we all know we need.

A Message by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We’ve learned how to make a living, but not a life. We’ve added years to life not life to years. We’ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We’ve done larger things, but not better things.

We’ve cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We’ve conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We’ve learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete…

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn’t cost a cent.

Remember, to say, ‘I love you’ to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. An embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

If you don’t send this to other people….Who cares?

Beautiful………..