Can Leaky Arsenal subdue Lethal Lukaku?

Goodson Park, not the best place to go given our form and the coming International break. In the unlikely event of a loss for the Arsenal the fans will have at least a week to ferment (or should that be foment?).

Have we reason to hope for victory? I would say that there are the green shoots of a return to The Arsenal that we know and love. On the other hand, we have won once in our last 8 games and that to Hull reserves.

Supporting Arsenal is not for the soft-hearted, it requires fortitude and an ability to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (see Rasp – even Shakespeare believed in luck 😀 ). This season has tested us to the full, however a win today would be a major fillip.

Lukaku: We should have shouldn’t we? He appears to be an expensive bargain but before berating the  Arsenal Purchasing Dept. I would also have had a punt on Benteke! Chelsea Directors must be shaking their heads at how The Unemployed One could have chosen to sell Lukaku yet keep Costa, Remy, and Falcao. I would break the bank to sign him.

article-0-19F6335B00000578-144_634x458.jpg

Barry and Mirallas are missing – is that a positive?

Everton are having a strange season, beating Chelsea with a superb performance last week yet throwing away a 2 goal advantage at home to West Ham the week before. If they are on form we will struggle.

Martinez is a man I thought could succeed Mr Wenger. I no longer believe he has the necessary vision. That said he has made some fine signings – Lukaku, Delafeu, etc

Enough of Everton. We need BFG to marshall what has become a leaky defence. Gone are the days of 1-0 TTA which given the quality of the individual defenders it is perplexing but that is also true of the other end of the pitch. We have to score more goals.

Is Welbeck strong enough to start twice in 5 days? I doubt Mr Wenger will start him.

My Team:

Ospina

Bellerin   BFG    Koscielny    Monreal

Elneny    Coquelin    Sanchez

Campbell    Giroud    Ozil

We will have a strong bench despite the succession of injuries to midfielders.

Does anyone know when we can celebrate the return of Wilshire? Mr Wenger has told Roy Hodgson to keep a place for Jack so it must be soon.

As always we must hope for a decent performance from the officials because Everton have a slew of divers and enforcers. Mark Clattenburg referees fresh from his CL trip to Madrid – could be worse.

I like Everton, like Arsenal they have history; when they play Liverpool I am a Toffee (why isn’t it a mint). This afternoon I hope Everton are three down at halftime.

COYRRG

222 Responses to Can Leaky Arsenal subdue Lethal Lukaku?

1. fatgingergooner says:

The team aren’t playing well, we know that, so what I want to see today is one our ‘star’ players take some responsibility and say ‘f**k this, I’m winning this game for us today’. Sanchez and Özil, I’m looking at you!

Great teams have tough games where it doesn’t happen, but they usually have someone who can pull something out of the bag. Mahrez has been doing it all season for Leicester! For £40m, I’d like to believe a few in our team can do that. Who knows, maybe a new guy full of confidence like Elneny could be that man.

2. Iceman says:

Desire and a passion for the badge. Do we have it? Not so sure any more. Win and it is the very least the long suffering fans deserve. Lose and face the genuine prospect of Europa League. Either way, this team are not good enough and need a massive kick in the cobblers!

Thanks Erik
    Still not sure about Lukaku. Part of that is I simply don’t see enough of him, and I hope today is another such occasion 🙂

Yip, which Arsenal side rocks up is the question. We put in the old 110% against Spurs and Barc. Doing the same today is imperative to give us a chance.

Cannot wait.

4. Ant says:

We’re in Scouseland! Lots of litter, loose bricks and beer at £2.50 a pint.

5. chas mobile says:

Excellent, BR.
    As usual you have described how we have absolutely no idea what to expect from our team. Let’s hope it’s one of the good days now that the green shoots have arisen. 🙂

6. chas mobile says:

TA
    We’ve landed at the Thomas Frost.

A couple of doors down there is a Rug Emporium – made me think of Terry!

7. Ant says:

Thanks to our special “Minder” aka Eddie we are still
    In one piece!

8. Red Arnie says:

Great job, Raddy. Just the perfect, precise, no-nonsense curtain raiser that was needed. 🙂

Lukaku, thank you, but no please. No players from the also-rans in the EPL. From other European Leagues, or Latin America will be good news.

Conchita for the Arse! No way! Not Arsenal material. Neither is the Pocker Tin fella. Nah! not for us! We are The Arsenal!!

Knowing the Arsenal, we will probably have to settle for a 1-2 away win today. COYG. 🙂

9. Red Arnie says:

Nice motning batner, that has got me thinking.

Chas and Ant. If the banner unfolds, here are a quick few suggestions. Go up to them and f**t on the face! Going by your breakfast pic, the preparation was adequate, so there should be enough supply of the vile smelling stuff.

But just in case you need a top up. carry a box of rotten eggs, and open it straight in their face.

10. chas mobile says:

Arnie
    Loving your no nonsense approach to banner wavers. 🙂

11. Red Arnie says:

Back from a semi-sabbatical, I would also want to put on record what a top bunch the Gooners on AA are.

Eddie. What can one say about Eddie? You were really planning to pick us up from Stansted or Luton and give a lift to the Ems! That brought tears to my eyes. You is generous!!! 🙂

Meeting Peaches, JC and the Vines – LBG, Chas and Ant – is about the best experience one can have on a trip to the Ems. Thank you everyone. That was brilliant. I particularly enjoyed JC’s jokes.

And after the game, what better way to regain some energy than a long chat wit Peaches over wine and macaroni! 🙂 🙂 🙂

12. chas mobile says:

13. chas mobile says:

I assumed the Barca team wouldn’t be reproduced at Goodison.
    How wrong I was!

14. Nice Raddy

I like Lukako. The kind of man who would enjoy giving you a piggy back.

Chas & Ant. I have fond memories of Goodisan lads. Back in the mid eighties I use to have a pen pal friend from Sri Lanka, Ramanpanikian and I would discuss cultural and political subjects pertaining to the sub continent

One particular game in the eighties at Everton I was involved in a slight altercation with a scouser about the size of my nose. He was of the opinion that I was unfairly consuming to me much oxygen.

I did receive a very nasty blow to the head, so on the train back collapsed on some women who fortunately cushioned my fall with her bosom. Very fortunate, especially because she was sat in the other carriage

Anyway, after the blow something changed. I went from discussing the Sri Lankan fisheries policy to asking him if his underpants were tight enough for his extremeties or wether he had a cousin he found attractive?

Avoid a blow to the head lads

15. Love the team. We will thrash this lot. Arsenal are the past, present and future

You were wrong Chas….Flamini started over there 🙂

I’d just like to say to all those who don’t believe Arsene prefers Danny…… ner ner ner ner ner ner (I know mature) 🙂

Fine pre match Raddy, it’s doubtful Chavs would have sold Lukaku to a major rival and I’d be surprised if they didn’t have a buy back option. Thing is the system they are employing makes FFP work for them, I’m not even sure the decision to sell would have been the managers given what is being written recently. Although if Chavs don’t want him I’d have no problem entering the market for him, always rated higher than Benteke, all comes down to movement for me, Lukaku is a lot more flexible in movement, whereas Benteke is a bit bull in a china shop.

17. chas mobile says:

Have you been moonlighting in scouseland, Terry?

18. chas mobile says:

GIE
    I’m always wrong.
    Ask GoonerB.

19. chas mobile says:

How’s the diet going, GIE? 🙂

20. Ant says:

21. chas mobile says:

Up the Arse.
    Time to go and find out what class of moron we’re sat (stood) with. 🙂

22. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Thanks for the pre match Randy 🙂

Long overdue ‘hello’ to all Gooners on AA, old friends and new

C’mon you Gunners

From my previous trips to Goodison you won’t really have a choice it’s a bit snug in the away end, I’ve never been able to find out if the seats are comfortable, I reckon if everyone sat down together people would have danger of DVT.

I’ve been watching BT Sport build up and you’d really think we were mid table the way they are all carrying on. Let’s be honest we all know we’ve been stinking out the place recently, but the fact is we are 11 points behind Leicester 5 points behind Spuds with a game in hand after a run of PL games that has given us 3 wins in 10 games. Think about what that really says for a second, we’ve been awful but we are still in contention, and there is the famous old football adage form is temporary class is permanent.

Today is time to change the thinking, the players need to lead the way in that and the fans need to follow suit, let’s put a run of three wins together in the next three games, totally achievable, then let’s reassess how we feel about our chances for the rest of the season.

Surely every one at the club and every fan wants us to win the league, so time to start finding some positivity wherever we can and start pushing together, let’s at least give the team the support that they can’t question.

Chas I’m attempting a wrap today …..

I cannot find a link to watch the game 😦 please help

Eddie you’ve survived!!!! It’s on BT Sport…don’t know if that helps.

Missed Sharkey sneaking in….good to see you fella

Lovely stuff

budge up
    Danny. Phew 🙂

That’s a FINE start

Shitballs. Missed the goal

GiE – when BT showed all those ads with Arsenal losing, I quit and told them why. FGG helped me to get a great deal with sky, but since most of our games are on BT 😠

Sharkey is back and we are winning!!

All of a sudden the fluidity has returned, this is the Arsenal we know and love.

Rasp – it’s bad luck to say things like that just 20mins into the game

Not a bit of it. At the moment they are doing everything I would ask – we really look up for this

37. Red Arnie says:

🙂 🙂 🙂

38. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha

What a goal!!!!!

So pleased for Iwobi, he deserved that. We got the ball forward quickly but are also defending really well

Iwoooooooooobi

I wonder if the fecker with his banner made the trip to Liverpool?

43. Red Arnie says:

those two backheels. were like a dream. 🙂

44. JM says:

Quoted
    “JM says:
    March 18, 2016 at 1:32 am

My opinion:
    Welbeck >> Alexis >> Giroud >> Walcott for the team’s Centre Forward position.

Preferably, with an attacking trident (Welbeck + Alexis + Iwobi) supported by Özil, until better options are available.”

2x thumbs up

Best I have seen us play this season. Should be 4. One of them from a penalty denied from the crook in black.

Absolutely superb half
    Have to admit, I didn’t think the effort would be there, but quite wrong.
    Great stuff

Nice to see you Sharkey

Hi Sharkey, only just noticed your comment from earlier – were your ears burning? 🙂

Mobile front 3, quick interchanges, high press to regain lost possession, long hoofs limited to single figures……all is good in the world at the moment.

Going to be singing the 2 purists anthems all through half time; (To the tune of your not singing anymore) :

Quick and fluid, quick and fluid, quick and fluid all the way,…quiiiick and fluid all the way.

and….

Bench the slowies, bench the slowies, bench the slowies evermore,…beeench the slowies evermore.

Join in if you want 🙂

JM You are the new Crystals.

As am I. I wrote that if Everton gave us the space that Barca did then we would beat them.

Not to put a bock on it, I expect a different Everton 2nd half

Oh, sorry Raddy, really rude. Many thanks for your usual high quality pre-match post. Much appreciated.

Lovely finish by Iwobi

Sharkey. Great to see you. Any more offspring? 🙂

What an enjoyable half. Welbeck settles the nerves and then we were able to enjoy AFC at their passing best.

Iowa looks a future star. Hard working, pacy, mobile and confident, though if Ospina got beaten through his legs like that we would not be happy.

Also loving the midfield axis of ElCoq.

JM, GoonerB circa May 2014 :

We need more pace in CD, DM and CF than BFG, Arteta and Giroud give us if we want to move forwards as it alters the way we are able to play the game. We end up sitting too deep to accommodate the lack of BFG’s pace and opposition teams can play high defensive lines against Giroud.

54. Red Arnie says:

OK, it seems, violence is on!

55. Red Arnie says:

Farhad Mashouri is in attendance. some of us may remember him. critics of the current mgmt, would you have wanted him? think about it!! 🙂

It’s Theo time …. surely

57. Red Arnie says:

oh dear!

58. Red Arnie says:

it may be Macey time.

Theo? who? 🙂

59. Sid says:

Surely that is a wreckless challenge by Lukaku.
    Out of control, yet not even a yellow.

60. Red Arnie says:

no wonder, this is the only league (probably) where keepers wear masks. the degree of violence permitted in the EPL is disgraceful

61. Sid says:

The spanish Tom Daley coming on now

Clattenburg has been awful.

63. Sid says:

And getting worse as the game goes on.
    I bet we lose the League on goal difference 😦

That quick break falling flat there was a clasic example of how the slower striker hampers our natural game.

65. JM says:

Big Raddy @1.40pm

I see it as the team forced the space from Everton with effective combination play. Both in attack and defence. i.e. The team imposed their will on Everton.
    2nd half; the team will look to absorb Everton’s attack and look to counter when opportunities present. No need of unnecessary risks in a winning position.

Barcelona were comfortable against the team, when they had a 2-0 cushion from the first leg away and then after their goal in 1st half (3-0 aggregate) at that moment going into 2nd half.

GoonerB @1:48 pm:

May 2014: Iwobi wasn’t in the picture. That was then, this is now.

This current attacking trident (Welbeck + Alexis + Iwobi) supported by Özil offered an attribute greater than just pace. That is: Combination Play where our attackers are in the same zone; in synchronisation. A zonal attack mindset and setup.

Walcott, The Ox have pace but they are currently not in the same wavelength. Campbell was not used much by AW.

66. Red Arnie says:

Clattenberg is usual. Everton came out second half to be violent, and like all other English refs, Clattenberg has just allowed this violence to go unpunished.

same old. 😦

67. Red Arnie says:

better than headless chicken run, though. 🙂

Granted JM but BFG, Arteta and Giroud were and I was saying that then. Iwobi, and players like him, can maybe be considered a solution that it has taken us too long to find.

69. Red Arnie says:

Lukaku. NO. Conchita. NO, not quite what we want. Mashouri. oh dear, certainly NO.

onwards and upwards! 🙂

Tremendous result
    Great day out for Ant ‘n Duck.
    Must rush away
    Back later
    Very pleased. Great effort from all, and some lovely football played

Can’t ask for much more than that and likely would have been a better scoreline if Clattenburg had not been so dodgy. Happiest I have been in one of our performances for some time.

Oooops, and Total

73. Red Arnie says:

the barstewards are at it again! shameful!

74. JM says:

1 win (and 3 priceless points) in the bag; 8 more matches (and 24 points) to go.

AW and the team will do well to look more into effective combination plays (in attack, midfield and defence) in the coming matches to improve on the odds in winning.

Arnie, Henry said no to the Everton trio as well. You obviously think along the same lines as the great man. Either you or he will make a great manager one day 🙂

Very happy with that. Everton away is a tough fixture.

I thought everyone played well with the defence and midfield excellent.

Our two kids were my men of the match – both Bellerin and Iwobi showing we have a bright future.

Clattenburg was poor. OG denied a legitimate goal and many fouls not penalised.

But nothing can ruin my enjoyment of a fine victory.

If Pakistan beat India in the cricket my day is complete

77. Sid says:

Spuds have a 11 goal difference advantage over us, that’s like another point. We need to give some team a real one and claw that back.

Chelsea or WHU today?

79. Red Arnie says:

yes, Raddy, the war is on! my loyalties on the other side. Just for this game though! 🙂

80. Red Arnie says:

GoonerB. of course, that should be me!

So what’ did we ever do to Clattenberg?

82. IanRealGunner says:

Why the banner again? Support the team

I think today’s performance clearly shows that Arsene Wenger has lost the dressing room and that Ozil and Sanchez will obviously be off at the end of the season and Welbeck is Wenger’s excuse for not spending last summer.

The day would have been complete if those tossers had put their stupid banner up.

And the people who spout that kind of nonsense think they are the hard done to Arsenal supporters; they make me sick.

84. Red Arnie says:

LB. yes

85. Red Arnie says:

We learnt the game on that kind of pitch. I may be good on that pitch. high backlift and low grip

86. Red Arnie says:

actually. I have actually played on that pitch. once. It was not such a turner on that occasion though. 🙂

Great team performance, we have finally found the formula ….. stick with it! I agree with GiE, Welbeck is Arsene’s No.1 striker and maybe Mertesacker is his No.3 CB? My six from the ‘must start’ post all played 🙂

England to smash the frogs in Paris later for the Grand Slam will make my day complete 🙂

LB I don’t think Arsene has lost the dressing room but on a purely speculative basis it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility that players like Ozil and Sanchez are having some misgivings this season, and as such there is an element of danger in our retaining their services.

On the banner I am with you fully. It is the single most infuriating thing at the moment. Not sure I could control myself if I was next to them.

My team was spot on barring Monreal for Gibbs but I happily admit that Monreal was the right choice.

Does T20 mean it’s only 20 overs each?

Wow. Thanks Rasp. It’s showing on liveonline. Looks exciting.

92. unable to watch due to work but sounds like we played well. I see we went with Plan B and played Welbeck upfront. 😉

If we can get within 5 points of Leicester going into the last 4 games then i think we have a chance based on their difficult run in. That means us winning our game in hand and winning 1 more game than them in the next 3 matches.

Leicester:

Southampton H
    Sunderland A
    West Ham H

Arsenal

Watford H
    West Ham A
    Palace H

Good way to sign off for International Break though. Happy for now!

Any news on Ozil knock?

93. Ant says:

And the T stands for Thursday Micky as they always play on that day.

94. Red Arnie says:

well done GoonerB. Mine was also only one off. Iwobi for Giro.

I am glad the starting team was what it was today. The only difference between our positions is that IMO Theo is no CF.

And see, no need for panic buys as well. 😛

95. Red Arnie says:

Bloody Leicester grinded another 1-0 win. 😦

Oh dear, looks like India are going to win 😦 Kohli is almost as good as Joe Root

Still WHU drawing is good.

Come on England. Beating the French is a must.

bloody Leicester.

Arnie, Theo as CF?

Another debate another time. I need time to prepare my case as I haven’t really said much about it before 🙂

Sayonara for now

99. Red Arnie says:

much better, Raddy. No one else in the world would be able to carve that kind of innings on such a pitch. That square drive was just sublime.

supreme talent in India. still I do not support Indian cricket.team because of the corruption. I think most players are also bent. 😦

no question of the ability. though

100. Shard says:

Power cut meant I missed the bloody game. Was following it through text though. Saw the last 15 minutes or so. Thought Giroud’s goal was valid, and apparently we should have had a penalty and Everton escaped with many yellows. Disgraceful refereeing against Arsenal yet again. Something’s rotten there.

But what’s even more rotten is Raddy wanting India to lose to Pakistan. 😛

Why Raddy? I mean I’m no flag waving ‘nationalist’ (special connotation to that word here right now) but why would you want Pakistan to win over India and ruin a perfect record of never having done so in World Cups 😀

101. fatgingergooner says:

Theo can play striker as part of a pair (442, 352 etc), but is average as a lone striker due to lack of hold up play.

Arnie. We will have to disagree. Until Kohl can do his magic on a cold day up at Headingley then he is second to Root. In his last 10 Test innings in England his top score was 39.

Shard. It is the Imran Khan effect. Loved that bloke when he played.

But given your and Arnie’s preference from now on it is India all the way 🙂

BTW did you see my response to your question early this morning on the last post?

Kelsey. Where are you?

104. Shard says:

Yes I did Raddy. Just before the power went off.

Like arnie, I’m no fan of the Indian cricket team. It’s just fun to keep the streak going 🙂

I liked Imran Khan too, though his venture into politics has changed that somewhat. My first memories of cricket are of the 92 world cup. I loved the bright colours and Jonty Rhodes’ diving displays. Poor South Africa though.

Jonty Rhodes. He was wonderful. I was lucky enough to see hi m play live. Best I have ever seen is Viv Richards, he was made for T20.

But enough of cricket…. for now

International break which gives some players a two week break then Watford, Win that and we are on a roll.

Can I join in? I played Long Stop, and my cricket teacher was a paedophile.

Or, we could play this game.
    Ramsey is fit for the next game. What do you do?
    Sorry, just killing time ’till the rugger, and while my diet pizza is cooking.

Blimey, Iwobi has been at Arsenal since 2004, so aged 9!!!

diet pizza? what the feck is that?

Just the one, Eddie 🙂

diet pizza, like non alcoholic beer or nicotine free fags! what’s the point?

Come on England

113. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

The Sanchez penalty was insane shard.
    Sanchez runs past a guy. The guy clips his leg and should have been a penalty in itself. Sanchez tries to stay on his feet and keep going and another defender just comes in and cleans him out. It’s two penalties.

Raddy – it works!!!!! If I don’t read your prematch BEFORE the game, we win!!! I have tried it several times now and bingo – 3 points in the bag 🙂

“Supporting Arsenal is not for the soft-hearted”, tell me

Don’t worry about Martinez not being fit for Arsene’s goal – some of us thought that Remy Garde was the man for the job 🙂

115. Shard says:

I know what a pizza diet is 🙂

Jeremy,
    That description reminds me of the Arshavin non given penalty at Old Trafford, with Mike Dean in charge. The defender takes out Arshavin and then punches the ball away while on the floor. 2 penalties, none given. But Arshavin blasted one into the top corner just after 🙂

Jeremy – you made me laugh! I was just thinking about those 2 incidents and the fact that when we win we don’t care about bad refereeing so much 🙂 Damn it, you do 🙂

typo alert – ‘not being fit as Arsene’s replacement’. Sorry chas.

Billy Vunipola, aged 9, with his Under 11 team mates ROLF

119. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Great game today….

Just caught up with all the comments (like in the good old days)…so… in no order

Nope, Henry (now 8) was my fourth and final child(professional vasectomy, NOT the one my wife offered to do for me)
    Hello again to everyone, and if Eddie is right about my appearance bringing a win, then I’ll take serious note and act accordingly going forwards 🙂
    So Iwobi joined in 2004, same year as Theo (?), and has shown that potential really shouldn’t take ten years to bloom.
    Walcott really mustn’t get another minute this season, and should move on in the summer. He does not have one single redeeming quality, and his casual stroll about at OT was simply the final straw for me.
    Aside from Iwobi’s attacking play, I love how hard he works when we don’t have the ball
    Congrats on your new addition (s?) GIE, and someone else too…p
    That banner….just stupid
    Love that long post from GIE, and agree at how poor our run was, but we still have a (slim) shout 🙂
    Transplant.. still nuts. 🙂
    Chas and Ant still on their regular road trips, proper soldiers
    Franchise (not too bad) and Suga3 (yuck), two proper blasts from the past..who should probably stay there
    On and big shout to the Flaxen Haired Warrior Princess, who messaged me this morning, and hence I’m back(ish?)
    Night all…back tomorrow

Love that pic of Vunipola.

121. TotalArsenal says:

Chas,

Sorry we missed you today. Hope you enjoyed the game and footie day as much as I did.

Is the Kroenke get out of my club song something new or has this been sung before?

122. TotalArsenal says:

Surprised to see Danny start as CF today and it paid off with a priceless early goal. Might have to eat my hat on this one but let’s see what Arsene will do for the remainder of the season. 😳

The players that made me excited today were Elneny and Le Coq. There is great potential between these two to boss the midfield, protect the defence and allow the attackers to run the attack without them worrying too much about needing to defend constantly. Elneny has great presence and reads the game very well; he also keeps it simple and yet finds the escape pass time and again. What a player.

I go to bed with Swing Low echoing in my head.

Great days sport.

124. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Billy V and his team mates who are two years older….oh dear

Glad you had a good day Total

I’m with you on that one Erik. Superb

Hi Sharkey
    Robinson, 2nd from left, now plays for Wales
    Night all.

127. Red Arnie says:

Raddy and Shard. nice discussion. I am in general agreement.

fair enough about who would play better on a cold damp morning in Headingley. I think it will be Kohli, but I may be wrong.

another thing that counts is the beauty of timing, and there I think Kohli is far far superior. we will see. 🙂

agree on Imran, on Viv and on Jonty. 🙂

I threatened Sharkey with sex if he doesn’t come back. Worked a treat 🙂

Great comment SS, I missed your accurate and to the point observations. Not like GiE’s or Shard’s 2 pagers 🙂

I know me is a doomer, but despite a great result I am not happy, Leicester have done it again. They shouldn’t win the league, they are not champions material.

TA
    Yep, had a great day out, thanks. You are a lucky charm 🙂

The only bit I didn’t like was the Kroenke song; not because I’m a supporter of his or anything, just that I thought the fans ought to have been celebrating beating Everton at Goodison and nothing else.

Lots around us were singing it and I’m sure many wouldn’t have a clue why if you asked them.

The woman behind him, 🙂

what is the kroenke song? The Yellow submarine? Or Last xmas I gave you my heart?

I thought it was funny when Alexi sat down with the Everton fans. Fair play to them we would chase the opp player off. Imagine if say Costa sat amongst us?

aha, feck off Stan Kroenke get out of our club. Not bad 🙂
    I want him out.

Eddie
    “I threatened Sharkey with sex if he doesn’t come back. Worked a treat ”
    How long does one need to be away in order to receive a threat?

Betcha Spuds are two up with ten to play, and the slack jawed one gets a knock and comes off ahead of the internationals.

Theo can go, Danny cannot.

ha ha ha micky 🙂 it was an empty threat 🙂 we and SS go a long way, he is a good mate, top man.

he made a good point about Theo v Iwobi. I don’t think anybody is still waiting for Walcott to improve. He is done, past his mediocre best

micky – I also promised Raddy I will marry him, did you think I meant it 🙂

Slack jawed = Kane? He does look like a cretin

SharkeySure gettting on his bike

just listened to Lineker’s intro, enough to make me sick

We’ve had the Wenger Out banner, the Kroenke Out banner. Next, and rightly so, should be Caterers Out.

Great place for a pillar.
    Ant was even worse off one place to my right

Yesterday’s banner was Wenger related.

Right I have a serious question :

If that game had been played at the Emirates yesterday, how would the crowd have responded to us being camped in our half for alot of the second half, and how would the players have reacted?

oh, it got all serious on here. Bye.

GIE
    I think the way we’ve been playing recently, the crowd at home would have just been grateful we were two up.
    Though I know what you’re saying. 🙂

7.35. Very disappointed with Ospina’s passing

It’s that nervousness and grumbling every time we allow the opposition to attack Chas and I don’t know how we fix it, after all it’s been there for a number of years and it’s like I’m sitting with people who have never watched 90 minutes of football before and don’t understand both teams are allowed to have the ball.

For what it’s worth I think Everton fans were getting on their teams back which seemed to effect them. Surely they didn’t expect a walk away win against us, although I guess media reports of our crisis may have led them to believe we were a rubbish team that were there for the taking.

151. Shard says:

Morning Raddy.

Love the Ospina comment. Just the sort of thing to keep tactical bollix firmly in their place 🙂

BR
    You only get a line with 3 passes to a particular man. The thicker the line the more pasese between two players there have been.
    Usually an Arsenal passing map would have thick lines between the defensive players. It makes change for the thicker lines to be further forward.

Bolleaux – yes. 🙂

raddy 🙂

@8:13 – superb clip

I like Sanchez on the right though it does restrict our left side attacks. The Bellerin/ Sanchez combo is very pacy and must be a major worry to the opposition FB’s.

Yesterday Baines looked very ordinary

155. fatgingergooner says:

Someone please make a ‘Banners Out’ banner for the next game.

Going to watch the game on Arsrnal Player. Looking forward to it.

Sorry I’ve been absent partying ;), has anyone offered to write something for today?

157. fatgingergooner says:

That first goal was 😍. We could’ve scored twice during that one move.

Michael Owen just said something I actually agree with. ‘It’s very rare that a defender will totally wipe out your feet from under you, so the majority of penalties you could actually ride the tackle and stay on your feet.’ If you do though then you know the ref won’t give it (Sanchez) so it’s best just to go straight down.

Iwobi looks like he’s been playing in the first team for years. Comparing him to Welbeck though he’s still just a pigeon chested boy. When he bulks out he’s going to be a beast.

The Coquelin/Elneny partnership looks so much better than anything involving Ramsey. The Gabriel/Koscielny partnership is improving. They do look like they could be bullied but then dealt with Lukaku pretty well, although the service he got was terrible.

158. fatgingergooner says:

Sagna Merts Vermaelen Monreal
    Flamini Arteta
    Rosicky Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

Bellerin Gabriel Koscielny Monreal
    Coquelin Elneny
    Sanchez Özil Iwobi
    Welbeck

The first team is the one that lost 3-0 at Everton 2 seasons ago. The other won 2-0 at Everton yesterday. The difference that stands out for me, other than age and experience, is how much more speed and athleticism was in yesterday’s team. Every single position has had an upgrade in that department.

159. fatgingergooner says:

It’s funny listening to Arsenal fans singing about Stan Kroenke whilst 2-0 up after a great performance. The Everton fans must’ve been sat there thinking ‘what the f**k are you moaning about’.

great comparison Fattie. I am still not sure about Gabriel, he is a liability. Also, Flamini and Arteta in their day were better than Coq and Elneny now, it is not fair comparing OAPs to kids.

Welbeck is a proper striker material, I give you that. His finishing it classy. But let’s not get overexcited about Iwobi – one goal doesn’t make him a Messi.

161. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Morning all.

I’m relieved to now believe that Eddie is female (FHWP), especially as my rocket bike has Theo-itis and has gone nowhere in ten years.

Yup a Banners Out banner would be great.

Kroenke out…why..?? I’m with Chas, most people won’t even know why they’re singing it

FGG – watch the clip @8:13. The little fan says ‘we’d take Kroenke off you too’ 🙂 you gotta love scoucers 🙂

163. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

They’d take our manager and all our players too!

164. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Chas 🙂

I was also at the Sheffield Unired away game among others so lucky charm I am definitely not 😜

The Kroenke song was supported by about 50%, I reckon, and it was clear that those who did not sing it were very unhappy with it being sung when we were winning. Seeing fellow Gunners fighting each other after the game was also sad to see. Victory through harmony seems to have taken a nose dive. 😟

yep 🙂 nice guys, don’t you think?

166. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, that is an interesting comparison but a shame you had to compare the result. We played well but Everton did not try to get something from this game; their minds and instructions were on self preservation and bigger fish to fry. The fluidity upfront was great even though we were often struggling to get something out of it. In the second half we ran out of steam, but that is understandable after this week’s efforts.

The observation that yesterday’s team is very athletic is spot on, though.

I had forgotten that teams change so fast.

FGG’s comparison is very interesting with only one player common to both starting teams (and Monreal was only playing due to Gibbs’ injury).

Wonder who would win a game between the two Arsenals?

168. Red Arnie says:

Have we exhausted our discussion of the game? or do we still want a few lines?

169. Red Arnie says:

The other difference between the two teams was the GK. Is that not relevant? I wonder.

170. Ant says:

171. fatgingergooner says:

Hi Rasp/Peaches,

BR seems to have pre-match sorted but we struggle for post-match posts. Maybe we could just do something after every game like a vote for player ratings or something simple like a fact sheet of the game with stats etc. That way at least there is a conversation starter for each match. I can help if needed although no idea how to set up a vote! 😄

172. Red Arnie says:

I second, FGG, 🙂

173. fatgingergooner says:

Red Arnie,

I think Szscesny was in goal that day so I would say we’ve definitely had an upgrade since then. As BR pointed out, it’s amazing how quickly a whole team can change.

174. Red Arnie says:

FGG. 🙂 I enjoyed our attacking game immensely yesterday. But I still think the clean sheet was one of the greatest credits given our recent record. Hopefully we have found our mojo both upfront and at the back

175. fatgingergooner says:

Let’s hope so Arnie, although I’m a little cautious with the defence. Gabriel is still not convincing everyone and looks a bit prone to a mistake but I personally think he will become a very good PL defender and the Kos partnership gives us added pace which helps the way we play. I remember Kos when he first started and he was shaky until he got used to the league.

We 8 winnable games until the end of the season so it would be good if we could perfect the balance of the team a bit between now and then, and if we win enough games, who knows what can happen.

I’m just chuffed we managed to get a great result and 2 good performances before this break, otherwise it would’ve been a horrible fortnight!

FGG. Once Peaches has given the keys to the back room then you will be able to create a poll. It is easy – even I can do it 🙂

I have always preferred Sunderland to Newcastle and want them to win but prefer Benitez to The Walrus (who doesn’t).

A draw?

And later today. MC or MU. An MC win knocks MU out of the Top 4 race but keeps MC in the hunt.

Another draw would be good

178. Shard says:

Haha. Liverpool

179. Red Arnie says:

Shard. 🙂

FGG. Yes, cautiously optimistic. 🙂

Raddy. More ROLFs on the way! 😛

180. Sid says:

Spuds 1 up. 😥

181. Red Arnie says:

Spuds 2-0. 😦 Manure 1-0

182. fatgingergooner says:

We complain about our wingers, City start with a RW who hasn’t scored in 70 PL games in Jesus Navas!!! 😬

183. Sid says:

Citeh are just stale, debruyne was the only hope for them this season.
    That’s after a one fifty million summer spend up.

184. Red Arnie says:

OK, good news is 3rd place looks more stable. Very bad news is St Totteringham’s Day looks distant. hmmm.

185. fatgingergooner says:

Man U still got West Ham, Spurs and Leicester to play so it’s good that they are still close enough to fight for top 4. We want them at their best.

186. fatgingergooner says:

Spurs:

Liverpool a
    Man U h
    Stoke a
    West Brom h
    Chelsea a
    Southampton h
    Newcastle a

That’s a tough run of games.

187. Red Arnie says:

yes, FGG, and yet …..

188. TotalArsenal says:

Not Sheffield United but Wednesday of course (earlier comment today) 😳

189. RC78 says:

A good performance against Everton but given the victories of Leicester and Tottenham, it did not really help our cause in the title race. However, with City losing to Utd, we have comforted our usual spot…

Leicester reminds me of Montpellier in 2012 when they clinched the title in France ahead of PSG…Clicking as a team, getting results…players over-performing…

That said, Tottenham has been classy this year with some standout performers but above a real cohesion and compactness of the team both defensively and in offense…

Our season was over the moment we lost against Watford…

190. RC78 says:

This summer we need to really invest in a CB, LB, DM and FW

The good news is that Wellbeck is really back in shape and that Iwobi and to a certain extent Campbell have showed promised…

Who do I keep as my 6 in my starting XI next year:
    Cech – Bellerin, Kos – Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez

5 spots to fill…

RC. I rate Gabriel and expect him to improve as he gets used to the PL. He is a keeper. So is Welbeck and Elneny. Coquelin for a squad place. Cazorla?

And I think we have two of the best LB’s in the PL. Who is better?

RC. Your comment about Spurs is evidence that you are not born in North London.

I would sacrifice 6 toes and my right little finger if I could be assured they will not win the league

193. fatgingergooner says:

Maitland-Niles
    JRA
    Akpom
    Wellington
    Zelalem
    Sanogo

I think Chambers position will dictate who we sign. If Wenger wants him to be a CB then we will buy a HM and vice versa. Other area that stands out is our forward line. I imagine 1 of Ox, Walcott, Giroud will be sold meaning we have space for 1 or 2 forward players. Maybe we will see a youngster like JRA and 1 big signing. I just can’t see us going out and buying 4 or 5 players.

196. fatgingergooner says:

There’s a few Real Madrid players I’d be putting bids in for this summer. Bale, Isco and Jese. Bale is a bit of a dream buy but the other 2 may be possible. Isco just looks like an Arsenal player to me although he would want to play where Özil plays so not sure how he’d fit in. Jese would be a goal scoring wide player who reminds me a bit of Shaqiri and Sanchez.

Are the upcoming England games qualifiers for something, or just playdays with friends?

198. Morning Micky, they’re all playdays before the Euros. Are the Germans favourites to win the Euros?

Good morning Peaches

In short, don’t know, but would imagine usual rules will apply
    Germans will be organized
    French will be sensitive
    England pedestrian and fighty
    This sort of thing 🙂

Can’t stop …

Oh yuk. Can’t stop what, or don’t we want to know?

Great pic
    Bloke sitting next door in 1st class on left. “Flog the lot of them”
    Young chap in tie. Just let off an absolute stinker.

Eddie Izzard. Respect.

yesterday I’ve done it again, drove the AFC little car on North Circular going towards the N17 exit. Heavy traffic, hundreds of strange looking people in cars from the previous centaury. Lots of fingers and shouting 🙂 and shouting back 🙂

god, I hope they are not clever enough to adopt the chant:

“forever in our shadow you will be!
    forever in our shadow you will be!
    Oh Arsenal, oh Arsenal
    Will you ever win the league again”

OH WOW, after all the human race has a hope!!!

The AFC are building 2 football grounds for poor children in Iraq, for boys and girls to train knowing that their heroes care!!! OMG, it feels sooooooooooooo good.

206. Red Arnie says:

motning all.

what will we chat about today? birds and bees, and all that? 🙂

207. Red Arnie says:

who? me? 😛

Anyone got a few lines for today?

209. JM says:

Not a match review. Something sent that might be for the international break week.

yes, you 🙂 🙂

Thanks JM, that’s excellent 🙂

It’s going to take a bit of work so I can’t put it up today as I’m really busy (unless someone else in admin has the time?)

… New post …….