International Break …. or will it be Ligament Damage and Calf Strain?

The International break is upon us and as usual, the concern is whether or not any of our players will pick up injuries. We’ve seen it before with Walcott and Wilshere.

We know Arsene is honourable and our players never develop a dose of ‘Giggsitis’ that keeps them out of action just long enough to return to league duty as soon as the interlull is over.

So today’s poll is a simple question: are international friendlies a necessary evil or would you choose club over country?

Rasp

81 Responses to International Break …. or will it be Ligament Damage and Calf Strain?

1. fatgingergooner says:

Friendlies would make more sense if we were playing the smaller countries to try and generate money for their FA’s, but playing games against the likes of France and Germany just seems pointless, espescially at this time of the season. The national coaches will argue that it’s vital to get time with the squad before a big tournament, but if no country had Friendlies then they’d all be in the same boat so no advantage to anyone.

I quite like the way Strachan has gone about it for Scotland in that he’s picked 2 squads. One will travel for the away game and the other will be waiting when he steps off the plane for the home match. It means he gets to look at more players and the lads who are travelling get a week off. Just a shame other countries haven’t done this to help their club managers.

2. fatgingergooner says:

Rumours around that we want Mourinho!

I smell πŸ‚πŸ’©!

Hi FGG, our history with injuries sustained during international duty is not great. Welbeck’s participation has to be a concern particularly since he (unlike a certain other England pseudo striker) is beginning to realise his potential and only just back from a long lay off.

4. JM says:

Hi Rasp, I have resent another mail to correct a couple of the attachments sent previously. Please update as require. Thanks.

… (a certain other England pseudo striker) … seems to be preserving his fitness and availability for EURO2016, since it could be his last chance playing at a EURO. (He missed the last big international tournament through injury).

Thanks Rasp

I vote yes to supporting friendlies but with T&C’s attached.
    Only if we can reduce the size of the Premiership by four teams, get rid of The League Cup, and even then, reduce the number of the wretched things πŸ™‚

Hi Micky, I’d definitely be in favour of reducing the EPL to 18 … or better still 16 teams, but the financial cost to those that lose out could be crippling. I’d also reduce it to 2 teams promoted/relegated.

These 2 friendlies are against strong opposition and so (unlike FGG πŸ™‚ ) I can see the merit as they will be a serious test of the side prior to the Euros.

7. chas mobile says:

Cheers, JM

There should be no friendlies during the season.
    They are pointless as only half-stength teams at best are fielded because of withdrawals.
    That’s without the obligatory 8 subs per side which make a mockery of the 2nd half.
    Pure greed.

8. fatgingergooner says:

Don’t get me wrong Rasp, I’d much rather see us play big teams and test ourselves, but I just don’t see the point in them. Players getting crocked for nothing (some may miss the tournament itself because of these Friendlies) and 10 changes after an hour mean we don’t learn much. They’d be better just picking 30 players (5 or 6 newbies) and doing 2 weeks training behind closed doors, but the FA’s can’t make money out of that so we get these pointless matches.

Cheers Rasp

The only international sport I follow is Cricket. My dream is to reach a stage were I can afford a panama hat and body that doesn’t put Gower of his lunch, thus enabling me to travel the world watching England play cricket

Rascistly acquiring my own char wallah and travelling first class on the Indian Railway as locals sing and dance on the roof would be a bonus.

For this reason, I dont want any of our players to go out on international duty. This especially applies to England. I refuse to support any team that once had Gerry Francis in it.

No worries FGG, I guess money is the evil at the root of all this. At least we’d take the pressure off players by reducing the league to 16/18.

The other problem is with South American players who may have a 16 hour flight back and miss an EPL game 2 days later jet lagged.

πŸ˜† TMHT, surely Trevor Francis is worse than Gerry Francis … why doesn’t he just blow his nose? πŸ˜†

12. fatgingergooner says:

Am I right in thinking the PL season started earlier than ever before this season, yet we still struggle to get games in. Somethings got to give. I like having 20 teams in the PL so I’d much rather they made the League Cup for Football League teams only and moved some of the FA Cup games into midweek fixtures that were decided on the night. They should bring in a rule that if it goes to extra time then the lowest team gets most of the gate revenue. That way the extra money from replays isn’t lost for the smaller clubs. Plus usually their best chance of getting through is on the night rather than going to another match where the bigger team turn up and beat them (Arsenal v Hull).

13. Trevor Francis has a chip on his shoulder because he comes form Birmingham Rasp. Its made worse becuase every were he goes people shout “Tell us a joke Jasper” so I feel sorry for him.

Whats Gerry Francis excuse? The mans a walking snide with a haircut that strikes fear in those contemplating a toupee.

14. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

What about all these South Americans now in the Chinese League!? 21 hour flight apparently!

Sanchez has it easy at 14 hours! πŸ˜„

Yeah, Sanchez is a wimp πŸ˜†

Shame Iwobi has chosen Nigeria over playing for England – it means we will most likely lose him for 6-8 weeks every couple of years.

16. fatgingergooner says:

Haven’t we got 3 or 4 Nigerians who look promising? We’ve just signed 2 I think. Not good for ACN but will form a good partnership if playing internationals together.

17. Aaron says:

Cant stand the world flop or wastlies. Just for fifa or eufalona to generate more $ at the expense of the team, the fans who pay for the whole darn thing. Just scrap that nationalist nonsense.

18. sally says:

Arsenal can’t compete FULL STOP be it against big spenders or little spenders.

19. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

I’ve always been a fan of internationals and as someone born in Ireland, the 1990 World Cups ability to seemingly unite the country in an almost magical state of excited optimism was nothing short of brilliant.

Saying that, it feels like the mid season matches and friendlies does no one any favours. It’s disrupts the league season and the matches are so far apart that I’ve usually forgotten the state of groups by the time the next international comes around.
    One solution that I’ve liked is the idea of playing friendlies and internationals between seasons instead of during seasons. The league season gets shortened and friendlies become proper warm ups for qualifiers and tournaments.
    I guess another consideration is whether international games make much sense anymore where more and more countries are made up of people from all over the world.

Sally is a boy, and forget “spenders” he be wearing “sus-spenders” today

Another problem is I believe they’ve just increased the number of teams in the tournament proper (I may be wrong).

By the way, what’s happening about The Qatar winter tournament in light of the corruption. Is it still happening, and still scheduled for our winter?

yeah, sure, country over club. Maybe if you are Brazilian.

I shouldn’t probably take part in the poll as I am not English, but what the heck – voted with the majority. Club any day of the week.

I cannot believe it has already been 4 years since Euros in Poland, can’t be! Time flies when you are having problems

Hi Jeremy, welcome to AA. I like your suggestion, but it would hardly lave any time between the end of the season and the start of tournaments as things stand.

As you say, it would make more sense if our season was a couple of weeks shorter … i.e. we reduced the EPL to 16 teams. This would allow for a Winter break as well.

The down side is that we supporters would see 8 fewer games and the revenue generated would drop proportionally, so I can’t see it happening.

Look on the bright side Rasp, had they dropped four teams last season, Leicester wouldn’t be around.

Mind you, thinking who’s lying in second place right now, I’m absolutely delighted they are around.

Good point Micky πŸ™‚

I wonder what effect there would be on injuries if we reduced the number of games?

The tiny totts will fall away over the run in and finish 3rd with united creeping in ahead of city to claim 4th I predict.

I voted Yes. I still think that representing your country iss the pinnacle of a career in any sport.

With the Euro’s this summer it is vital that Woy gets time with his players and the games should be competitive.

It upsets me when players refuse to attend. Fair play to Rooney who always turns up for England as did Beckham, both of whom must have annoyed SAF.

If the Spurs lads do not attend I would stop them from ever playing an International again.

27. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

Hi Rasp.
    It’s certainly not a solution to the overall number of games played that’s for sure but ultimately it would be the same number of games in theory so whatever time off players get now would remain the same. In theory the players could finish the season, play the friendlies/qualifiers and still have their 2 or 3 months off.
    I guess it’s more a possible solution to the annoyance many feel with the mid season internationals.

Jeremy, I like your suggestion.

I foresee difficulties in persuading all the International football associations to agree to it. I do not know how they decide the dates on the Interlulls, do you?

I also agree that the PL should be reduced to 16 or 18 teams though the teams at the lower end of the table would certainly disagree as would the TV companies.

29. fatgingergooner says:

One of my he problems is certain leagues start and finish at different times. Makes it very difficult to keep everyone happy.

Do you think Liam’s had a few?

Remember when football was fun?
    Maybe it never was, just the mind playing tricks.

Yes. Liam has had one cider too many.

jM has sent a post to nuts – has anyone with access got time to prep it?

chas. Highbury, Pre-corporate football when AFC was still a club and not a brand.

Money has ruined it like it ruins so much (says the hippy socialist).

RAsp. I can do it early-doors if no-one else has.

36. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Well done for an idea for a post.

I voted country first…..but that’s maybe my old fashioned view.

For me I’d change some rules around international attendance.

If selected and pull out due to injury you should miss next two weeks of football following if you have played the game prior to the break.

Secondly I would like the English FA to change selection policy. No under 23’s should be picked for the England team, Alli is having a fine season for Spuds but should he really be being called up to England yet? I’d like to see these players given time to develop before being thrown into the cauldron and tabloid firing line. That goes for the likes of Ox, Jack etc. This doesn’t mean I think they shouldn’t be representing their country I think they should be playing in their age groups, otherwise what’s the point?

37. Raddy – I’m not sure it’ll be ready to publish for tomorrow. If it’s in drafts then it’s probably ready to go but can you check with us in the morning. Rasp is having a look at it now

6:12 Love the lawn mower
    “Now remember dear, I bought you the bubble mower so that you could do it naked, once you’ve done the washing up”

Ooops. that was 1950’s Didit speaking

I’m sensing something with graphs AND buttons from JM

Also, out of fairness to GB, I think we should dedicate one whole day to discussing the central striker role in modern day foot ball πŸ™‚

I think I might even volunteer to do the washing up.

Yep, definitely have a GB day.
    “Is Giroud pants?” in less than 20,000 words might be a tall order, though.

Ha ha ha
    And to make it challenging, he’s not allowed to use the words mibile, fluid or speed.
    We could also demand a minimum of 100,000 words, and then all be sick on the day.
    ps I do agree with him, well, the first sentence anyway

mobile πŸ™„

Have we just bought Pogba or something?
    I was expecting a ROLFWORTHY slip at the very least πŸ™‚

BR is going on an International break and in his drug-induced memory lapse forgot that he will be in the airport when the post should be published.

Sorry.

Nah, I just liked the way the ball came over the wall.
    Goalie should have had it though, GIE? πŸ™‚

chas. Great pics this morning. Love the lead at 6.12

Are you pissed Chas?
    That tweeter makes no sense whatsoever

absolutely nothing to say.

Sorry, I’m marking.

GK should definitely have saved it. I would have.

Oh Ok Erik you bloody leftie. Thanks for the heads up. Where are you off to, Zermatt, Monte Carlo, Capri? πŸ™‚

By the way, the excuse is weak. First Class departure lounges have excellent wifi

Makes perfect sense to me.
    Sums up blogging, tweeting etc.
    People come out with hundreds of different opinions, but only remember the ones where ‘they got it right’.
    i.e. conveniently forget all of the purist motto bilge.
    πŸ˜†

Gorra go.

Oh nice. Insult me as Founder Purist had then run.

Well, let me remind you, Purism is founded upon the principles of 2-3-5, and from that, we shall NEVER be moved πŸ™‚

Marking doesn’t take long , does it?

Kent πŸ™‚

And what wrong with Kent? Are you Kentist? Bloody typical of your sort.

61. TotalArsenal says:

Purism lacks backbone πŸ™ƒ

Erik
    Don’t know about you, but I’m beginning to think “marking” is some sort of code from Chas.
    I’ve noticed how it does not take place anywhere near examination times.

Now, now Total. You’re Dutch, and therefore wishy washy liberal smokey dopey play anywhere you like footballists

We’re not πŸ™‚

Morning all, we have no post for today

Rasp
    We’re only not hiding safe in the knowledge that JM had come up trumps
    I’m off in precisely 4 mins πŸ™„

Kinda wish we hadn’t had a go at GB now πŸ™‚

Hi Mickey, that post requires a lot of work and know one is volunteering

68. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Chas too many me in the wall….I often think free kick specialists have worked on the idea of five men walls for so long that they know which man they need to clear to score a goal.

Never have more than four men in a wall. I mean how often does a keeper get beaten from that distance when he has not got a line of defenders preventing him covering his normal angles?

So with a free kick why approach it differently?

Also limits defensive options as you’ve committed bodies to a wall that can’t track runners.

I sometimes tried matching number of men in a wall to number of people over the ball, that way you were sure you were marked up everywhere else.

I think we’ll struggle to get a post every day throughout this break, as by this stage in the season (and just the 4th place trophy at stake πŸ™‚ ) everyone probably feels a bit Arsenaled Out.

Can’t hire, fire, sign or sell anyone, and we all know the best formation πŸ™‚

Ok, school run then into town.

70. Can anyone come up with a few lines or a poll for today’s post as JM’s is not going to be ready.

I wrote a post yesterday off the cuff. It wasn’t great and I didn’t want to do it. It was 3 sentences, we don’t need war and peace πŸ™‚

…. New post ….