Your choice of first names on the Arsenal team sheet ….. Poll

We have been underperforming as a team for some time. Few if any of our players could be described as being in top form. The signs against Barcelona were encouraging and we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves – but two of the best performers (Elneny and Iwobi) weren’t what you might consider to be first team regulars yet.

Is the problem more to do with the team than the individuals, or is it that the players aren’t taking enough individual responsibility? A player can only be his best when others around him are also on top of their game, so clearly the two are interdependent. A team that is performing well can carry a couple of players who are below par, but a single player cannot carry a whole team unless he is a truly exceptional leader – and I don’t think we have anyone of that character in the squad. The team ethic is paramount.

One mark of a good side is actually knowing what your strongest eleven is and getting the best blend of players to gel into an effective team.

So I got to wondering how many of the currently available players would be categorised as ‘first names on the team sheet’.

Not enough is my answer!

These are the outfield players I would categorise as ‘must play’ in the important game ahead against Everton – there are only 6!

Koscielny, Bellerin, Elneny, Monreal, Ozil and Welbeck

That leaves 4 positions where I can’t see a clear first choice – and apart from the one CB, they are all in midfield/attacking midfield. The emergence of Iwobi as a ‘proper Arsenal player’ is one of the highlights of the season and I’d also play him on Saturday although he features just below my ‘must play’ rating.

How many and who would be your ‘must start’ players against Everton?

You can choose up to 10 (goalkeepers are not included) in the poll below and then review the results later in the day to see whether others agree.

Rasp

125 Responses to Your choice of first names on the Arsenal team sheet ….. Poll

1. TotalArsenal says:

Brilliant idea for a post, Rasputin 😄

Nine games to win the title, with:
    Ospina/Cech
    Bel BFG Kos Nacho
    Coq Eleny/Rambo
    Alexis Ozil Welbeck
    Le Hub des Alpes

Morning Total, we can all play Championship Manager today 🙂

I may have failed to get the basic question across – it looks like most will choose their starting 11, whereas I wanted to know how many players are in the ‘must start’ category … but that would have made the poll too complicated I guess

At the moment, Giroud is our 3rd choice striker TA – not agreeing with your view of him 😆

Thanks Rasp
    Ollie has one vote
    Total “get out the knife and fork. It’s hat for lunch” 🙂

5. TotalArsenal says:

Oh yes Rasp, you are right. I guess if you asked me who are your first five outfield players on the team sheet, it would be: Ozil, Alexis, BFG, Coquelin and Le Hub.

Re Ollie not being the favourite…. The world is full of romantics but the realists shape it for 80%! 😜

An interesting Post, Rasp, and perplexing too.

I have been unable to put down 10 names on the poll based on the premise ‘who would I have bought given a choice’ which explicitly rules out a number of the current squad.

That is not to say AW will have a massive clearout and recruitment this summer – it is just how I judge the quality of the players we have.

I watched the ‘Pool v Manure game last night – and could not believe how well Manure played in the first half – balls were passed accurately, players were pressing and supporting each other, and they could have scored two or three on another night.

[I have not gone all Manurey but it is in the context of how Arsenal play] 🙂

In the second half, they were mis-passing easy balls, standing off the ‘Pool players and not pressing, as well as shooting for the stars – or at least Row Z.

I do not know why. And their 2nd half performance was so like the way we have played recently – which means we are not alone in this disjointed and un-Arsenal like performance.

Players are humans – humans can be weird – and there is no easy (or difficult) explanation for what affects them – but we will come through it eventually – just not sure when.

Not a single vote for Flamini or Walcott so far 😦

Rasp
    Unless a pretty close family friend of Theo’s rocks up, then I think it’s pretty unlikely he’ll get a vote

9. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha Tricky Micky

I eat my hats with chopsticks thank you very much

10. TotalArsenal says:

Redders 🙂

You are so right, form and confidence combined with a good/bad run of games is so influential when judging our players.

11. TotalArsenal says:

Iwobi doing well in the polls tells us everything we need to know of being in the moment 🙂

Hi Micky, the strange thing is that Walcott always gets a big cheer when his name is announced at the Emirates – we all want him to be the golden boy of English football I guess

Nice one Rasp

I think the Barca away game showed us we are on the verge of something special. The return of Wellbeck and the emergence of Elneny and Iwobe gives us hope

Next season we will wrap the league up early and give it a good go in Europe, and it will be done by playing fantastic football.

Arsene should be left alone to finish the job. This time next year everyone will be begging him to sign another contract.

If I was Kronke and Gazidis I would pre empt the whole thing and get him to sign an extension now.

And BFG doing badly in the polls tells us everything we need to know of being out of the moment 🙂

Rasp
    The cheer is down to hope, more than expectation, I reckon, as he usually minces on in the 70th when we’re desperate 🙂

God I pray Sniffer reads that Transplant comment 🙂

16. TotalArsenal says:

Micky

Football fans love speed and loath slowness to such an extent that they are blind to much else. One tanker turn by Per and he is doomed for the rest of the season; one speedy dribble by the Ox and he has people believe again in his potential.

Morning all, great post Rasp. Will come back and vote and comment again in a minute. Rasp, can we also state what we think our strongest first 11 would be barring all injuries and everyone in the squad being match fit?….actually don’t answer that, I am going to do it anyway 🙂

Terry, what is it with you and Arsene signing extensions? The judge will not be so lenient a second time you know Terry.

R.A, humans may be weird as you intimate but camels and their wormers are perfectly normal.

18. JM says:

My ‘must start’ players against Everton (7 players):

Koscielny, Bellerin, Monreal, Elneny, Coquelin, Ozil and Welbeck

*Flamini is out until after international break. (i.e. default midfield of Elneny, Coquelin & Ozil likely to start).

1 CB slot between Mertesacker, Gabriel & Chambers to contest.
    2 attacking slots between Alexis, Campbell, Giroud, Iwobi & Walcott to contest.

**In addition, either Koscielny or Mertesacker would wear the captain’s armband.

19. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Rasp. 🙂 Good fun.

When you say “At the moment, Giroud is our 3rd choice striker”, surely you mean “my 3rd choice striker” not “our 3rd choice striker” 😛

I went with the same line up as we did with Barca but with Le Coq starting and Gibbs ahead of Monreal. I actually like both equally and am comfortable with either, but Gibbs has the edge in pace and Everton can attack with good wide players and we are away. I would probably equally share the games between these 2 over a season.

I like the fluid quick front 3 that interchange position and Ozil pulling the strings behind and a deeper solid 2 man midfield base. Iwobi can play more from the right side and Sanchez from the left but with license to switch at times. If you give this type of set up a run of games then I think it will develop and goals will flow.

We have to move towards a more mobile CD partnership as well so Gabriel needs to have a run of games to develop his understanding and confidence.

If everyone was fully fit and we could choose from the whole squad then Santi and Jack would replace Elneny and Iwobi respectively in my strongest first 11.

21. Sid says:

Champions league draw has just been drawn, funny how Bayern, Real, and Barca all miss each other until the semi’s
    And we always get a bad one in th KO.
    Thanks for the post Rasp.

T.A I should have come back to you yesterday but with regard to Ollie you asked how can we make it work? Well you probably need a 4-2-3-1 system where the 2 are DM’s who can sit and protect more but also distribute the ball well, at least one of them anyway.

The 3 then become key, and I feel they would all have to be very quick, to burst past the Chariot Cheval frequently, but also all need to be prolific goal-scorers. That probably means sacrificing Ozil for someone like Reus and bringing in a left footed goal-scoring wide right player like Bale, Robben, or Messi. Sanchez will find his goal-scoring touch again especially with others lifting the burden off him individually.

Even then it still doesn’t work for me at the highest level because the goal-scoring wide players want to interchange with the CF. Watch how often Suarez pulled wide and Neymar and Messi dropped in. Giroud would just be getting in their way centrally and doesn’t have the mobility to interchange with them.

His type of CF is more seen regularly at mid-table level or can be a useful tool from the bench later in the game.

AW’s relationship with the fans is very sensitive right now and he has to take a very hard look and change things to improve this side. If he continues with the same striker into next season (if an acrimonious fall out hasn’t already occurred) expect to see a major fall out with the fans and a souring of the memory and the likely loss of players like Ozil and Sanchez.

Maybe a bit dramatic for some but us wormers love a touch of theatre 🙂

Hi Arnie, Giroud is third choice striker according to the Poll results 🙂

Rasp, can you make sure that T.A and Arnie don’t just sit there all day voting for Giroud to skew the results. They have already done it 3 times each 🙂

Gooner-Be-Wormy,

Let it be said, upfront, that I have absolute confidence in those camel folk and their intrinsic intellectual powers — it is – sad to say – the wormy fellow that I have an innate suspicion of as regards his choice of player icon and strategic tactics – not that I would wish to give him the hump. 😀

I also saw bits of the Spuds v Dortmund game and marvelled at Aubameyang, who many of us hoped would come to Arsenal last summer.

He is slight, athletic but more to the point is the epitome of what I would classify as a ‘natural’ goal scorer – something that is in short supply at Arsenal.

Now that is the sort of player we need – and I can understand why Dortmund do not want to sell him – and if they did – he wants to go to ‘one of the top Spanish clubs’ apparently. Bugger.

27. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers GB, it is fair to say that I don’t agree with anything other than that Ozil might have to be sacrificed as to get the best out of the holding striker position. For that it would mean moving him to the left to play in a free role and making Alexis our Nr 10, but that is for another day.

What really amazes me is that you and so many others really think our problem is with Giroud and not with the other attackers – in attack and midfield – who managed a woeful 25 PL goals between them, whereas Ollie has a respectful 12 by his ownio. Anybody working in a business would stroke Ollie and focus hard on Alexis, Theo, Ozil, Campbell, and when they are fit again, Rambo, Santi and Ox, to improve. Yet, we cannot see beyond Ollie not being ‘world class’. It frustrates the hell out of me, but nothing new there. 🙄

R.A,, I actually don’t have an icon as a player just types of players I think would see us operate better. it is the current incumbents tactics you should have suspicion about. You can’t judge the wormy fellow till they give him a go 🙂

T.A, I will come back and chat ( lecture you 🙂 ) more later. Pesky work things to do.

29. TotalArsenal says:

Same with me, GB. 🙂

Sid
    Bad news I’m afraid
    Barca, Bayern et al all getting favourable draws is true
    You say “And we always get a bad one in the KO”
    Same thing. We’re the easy part of their favourable draws.
    Grim, but there we go 😦

Ha ha ha I’m such a doomer, as what I’m saying is that in the Round of 16, there’s no team easier to beat than us 🙂

My excuse? It’s Friday 🙂

TA @ 12:57

I used to bang my head on exactly the same thing regarding the treatment of Giro as the fault and not the victim of poor support from others.

That said, our French Lovely is not the finished product either as he is so one footed – legged? – and gets himself into all sorts of contortions to force a scoring position.

In addition, we are all in the situation of trying to choose the best from a limited number of player options in our limited squad – let’s hope that AW does not trot out the usual “If we can find someone better than what we have got – we will buy him” – that is too disingenuous for words.

England in the T20 against SA are ………. let me see …….. crap really.

12 runs an over off the first 4 overs. 50 for Nix.

Nice idea for a post Rasp, and must admit I had been giving thought along similar lines, but not necessarily about being must picks, about the attributes that I feel are more important coming towards the business end of the season and which of our players I would be happy to have along side me in the scraps.

Comes back to my comment yesterday about work rate and that players can often push themselves up a level by applying some of it, and a bit of discipline and as you say taking responsibility.

So my list of players I would count on in these ingredients (forgetting ball skills and other stats for a moment) would be as follows:

Nacho, BFG, Hector, Coquelin, Flamini, Campbell, Ozil, Alexis, Ollie, Danny.

These are all players that on the evidence I have seen put the needs of the team equal to their own need for recognition, and for that reason make generally good decisions that do not lead to problems for their teammates.

Unfortunately there are too many missing from that list, Iwobi, Gabriel and Elneny have all been overlooked by me for this purpose as in reality we haven’t seen enough games to see them in this context.

The players that miss out that may surprise are Koscielny, for me recently he has become a bit too focussed on his own game, and is not helping others as much as he has done in the past, and should be doing more to organise those around him, Gibbs, too often leaves his duties, I was hoping watching Nacho and understanding why he was now the starter may curb the gung ho nature of young Kieran but i’m not sure its sunk in yet.

The biggest disappointments of players missing from that list are Ramsey and Ox, for me both of these players have the skill to be top top players, but they really need to find the mental strength to know when to do something and when not in terms of a 90 minute game of football, and for me both are letting themselves and hence the team down with poor decision making.

It will surprise some that Ozil is on that list, but i find his poor decisions very few and far between, don’t get me wrong he can lose the ball, but so often in my mind it is due to lack of options rather than any lack of hunger or strength from the man himself.

You can have all the skill in the world, if you are not a team player you will never be a world class player, and if you haven’t got all the skill in the world, then you sure as hell better be working hard and helping your teammates to guarantee a start. Isn’t that why we have all taken to Joel Campbell so much, the lad is a breath of fresh air due to his work rate as much as his composed use of the ball which is underrated in my opinion.

If everyone in the Arsenal squad was working as hard as Alexis, and Campbell we would have walked this league weeks ago.

I only voted for Koscielny. The rest …. mwah. Interchangeable.

We are just as likely to win with any 11 chaps as long as they play as a team.

Thanks, Rasp.

Yep, agree with that, BR.

TA
    I think we might be in the Thomas Frost on Walton Road 11ish if you’re after a pre-match beverage. 🙂

So Raddy and chas don’t want to play 😦

Anyone with access should tune in to the climax of the 20/20 cricket, England may be about to seal a fantastic victory

England have beaten the SA in one of the best games I have seen — Rootie was brilliant!! 😀

What a fantastic game of cricket.

England – dreadful bowling, wonderful batting. Superb entertainment that went down to the last two balls.

The bottom 5 in the poll results certainly reflects a lot of the views I have seen and heard in the world of Goonerdom.

A very interesting Poll result overall – and relax, Rasp, I have to go, so you will not have to address me – not that you ever do.

43. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, nice idea. I will send a comment to AA if I get there in time. 🙂

Hi Redders, apologies for not responding to your points earlier, thank you for taking the post in the spirit it was intended, I too found the results interesting. Rather harsh on. Giroud I’d say

46. Red Arnie says:

missed the brilliant game. heard on radio though

and all the brilliant batner here.

agree with Raddy, but with Kos and Bellerin. Played game though. No surprises in my line up. 🙂

47. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. I think the results are unfair towards Gibbo as well.

Hi Arnie, it just shows that most supporters prefer Nacho to Gibbs, not that Gibbs is rubbish 🙂
    You on the other hand apparently think that only 2 of our players are worthy of ‘first choice’ status 😆

Arnie
    Thing is, with a max of 10 to select, people were always going to pick Monreal, so not really surprising.
    I am surprised at how badly Giroud and Theo did.
    Interesting how highly people rate Iwobi.
    Must say, I’m in total agreement with the poll.

Damn, must go already.

51. Red Arnie says:

Rasp, I think the rest can play in rotation. I filled in my first choice team, though

52. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, maybe you is not addicted to goals but just fluidity. 😜

53. Red Arnie says:

Total. Micky is Mr AAA. goals dont matter so much! 🙂

54. TotalArsenal says:

I know Arnie. I played email chess with him for a while and it was also AAA – no patience or tactical bollox for the Mickster. 🙃

55. IanRealGunner says:

Just back from the U18s at the Etihad. Pretty good performance from the boys, lost 2-1, Jeff scored and looked a cut above all the other players on the pitch. Thierry Henri in attendance??????

56. Red Arnie says:

Total. 🙂

good news Ian. Both under 18s and Henry. 🙂

57. theepicgooner says:

Koscielny, ElNeny, Özil, Nacho and Welbeck. Others don’t look like their playing it for winning. Joel deserves more chances.

58. theepicgooner says:

Koscielny, ElNeny, Özil, Nacho and Welbeck. Others don’t look like their playing it for winning. Joel deserves more playing time.

2 x wrap
    Bag of prawns
    Rocket
    Mayo Light
    Apple

19 pints of lager

Is that lunch or breakfast??

Bacon and eggs for me. Thank s Micky for pointing out the error of my ways with muesli. Terrible stuff fit only for cattle and the Swiss.

Just had fruit and nut muesli, porridge oats, sultanas and skimmed milk.

Smoked Fish with scrambled eggs is a good start also

Smoked fish for breakfast – still repeating on you at midday.

Also, a toasted slice or two of that wheat free german rye bread. The really dark stuff, whatever its called. Pumpernikelschnellschnellgetyerhandsupnowenglishpeeg

Chicken, mayo, sweet chili sauce, lettuce and tomato wraps
    2 x crusty bake pork pies
    Walnut cake

Ah 6:59, the call an ambulance special 🙂

The ‘call an ambulance special’ otherwise known as GIE’s special diet motivator.

HA HA HA

7.02. Mrs Raddy and the Danes love that bread but one may as well eat cardboard.

How long do you think we will last on the diets? I give it 2 weeks max.

Some of the people I’ve met thanks to AA….

Peaches
    Mrs Shard
    GIE
    Mrs GIE
    George
    Harry
    Harry the Gooner
    TA (maybe again today 🙂 )
    GoonerMichael
    IrishGunner
    IrishGunner’s mates
    GoonerB
    GoonerB’s assorted purist mates
    Rocky
    Rocky’s lad

Wow.
    I bet I’ve forgotten someone as well.

Time for a shower and the subsequent donning of some warm clothing.

LB

Yep, knew there’d be some.
    I’ve only said hello to LB in passing at Yildiz – never really had a chat.
    Definitely spoken to 26May plenty of times though..

Sharkey

Oh dear lord, I’m better at people you’ve met than you are 🙂

I have met enough of them …

I wonder where sharkey has gone. Top bloke. Morning all 🙂

Fair point Erik. From that I take it you too have met Transplant.
    The word I’d use is unsettling. He looks at you.

Rasp
    The last I heard of him, he was still breeding. Fertile chap.

😆 Micky.

FGG and GiE have also been doing their bit to increase support

How could I forget the Sylvain Wiltord look-alike?
    Shame on me.

I’ve met FGG, too. Apols

You must have met quite a few off Le G in the old days too chas – Pedro, franchise etc.

Suga3
    One of my favourites……not.

Car or train to Liverpool, Chas?

Ha, I’d forgotten him. I sat next to franchise once and he was a nice guy but like so many, his persona changed when he blogged

Walcott got 4 votes, says it all.
    Ozil, Koscielny, Giroud, Campbell, Eleny and Bellerin for me. Plus a goalie.

Goodison and Villa Park are the two that remind me the most of Highbury.

Hey, great to see you, Eddie.

it is going to be a tough game, I don’t like early kick offs, means my afternoon nap is at 5pm

🙂 how could I miss Ant and Duck show today?

Why not 3pm?

Not much of a show with Ant driving.
    Besides phone signals in the car are rubbish.

Eddie 🙂
    A goalie? You’re in a rather pessimistic mood this morning 🙂

I’m dreading that banner coming out somewhere near us.

Chas
    You should sit in the back and drink. Then flick his ears and stuff.

chas. 8.00. More likely 3.20pm

I have to eat, walk remaining dogs, take pills, quick check of boxes, won’t be before 5pm before I settle down.

do you think they will bring the banner again? My god, what tools. Can you bring a water pistol to the game, or a stink bomb?

True Micky, skip the goalie. Maybe give Sanchez a try?

Rush goalie – like the sound of that.
    Hang on, Petr done his calf last time we tried it.

Someone has been teaching my granddaughter the new Mezut Ozil chant. The little one cannot pronounce the words of it properly, yet, but loves the “Mezut Ozil” part, it it sooooo sweet and hilarious 🙂

Laters – pick up in 5.

absolutely brilliant 🙂 🙂

Morning all. Match day. Hope I am back from dad duties in time.

Chas if the banner comes out near you just shrug off your pacifists overcoat and chin them. If anyone tries to reprimand you for your fully justified actions just say you had the wormers permission. It normally works.

Also remember you have met my assorted miserable as hell realist mates as well Chas.

GB pleeeeeze! And or Duck chinning anyone! When we were at the Ems once and some cretin started trouble, I had to step in to save them

Maybe not, but they could gently fold the flag with pleated corners and take it home to iron it

107. Shard says:

At the very least, chas could use his master scorn pouring skills on them 🙂

Good morning all

108. fatgingergooner says:

It looked like a cotton/polyester blend domaine a quick flash of a zippo should do the trick.

Fast and effective, unlike our strike force! 😄

I heard there was fighting outside the Emirates after the Watford game between Pro and Anti Wenger fans – it was a Spurs fan who told me so this could be incorrect.

That is what the banner creates

Morning Shard

Scorn works well in India? Does nothing here in Scandinavia.

111. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Not sure how difficult this would be, but is there anyway to get a button in so you can edit your own comment after posting? The bloody auto-correct on these Apple devices is a nightmare!

An edit button is so much easier than learning to read and write correctly! 😄

112. Shard says:

BR

Why’s that?

Hi FGG, peaches may be able to endow you with the power 🙂 I’ll have a word

Maybe chas could edit the banner, you know, put in some apostrophes, exclamation marks etc – that would confuse them

Shard. It is because Scandinavians are very direct and criticism is the norm. They are not afraid of confrontation and are schooled to defend their position – it is very refreshing for a Brit who was taught that open confrontation is unacceptable behaviour which often results in verbal and sometimes physical violence.

Will get the post published in 10 minutes ….

116. fatgingergooner says:

Cheers Rasp.

If you want to make it so I can edit other people’s comments too that would also be useful!

‘Shut up FGG’

What’s that Kelsey? ‘You’re correct FGG, and handsome too!’ Yeah, I thought so! 😂

FGG. Power corrupts according so some deported bloggers 🙂