Match thoughts

An interesting question yesterday, as to if not Arsene, what is happening in the last 10 weeks.

Now it’s all tended to blur as one bad run (which it is) so I went back and looked at our games since the new year and just my impression of them.

Newcastle (H) Unmemorable except I think a defender scored.

Sunderland (FA Cup) Again, I can’t remember. Routine victory.

Liverpool (A) Frustrating to concede late. Felt at the time that might be huge

Stoke (A) Refereed in a manner that was harmful to us (not big decisions, just how it was refereed)

Chelsea (H) Not a very good performance, but the red card changed everything . A handball penalty appeal from us prior to that was not shown on replay on TV.

Burnley(FA Cup) Chambers goal is what I remember.

Southampton (H) Once again, I have to bring up the referee. Lee Mason as I recall. It was at this point that I believed we wouldn’t win the league. The other takeaway from this game was that we didn’t take our numerous chances. Which isn’t new.

Bournemouth (A) A decent performance and good win.

Leicester (H) Poor refereeing first half. Crowd up for it. Referee decided to play fair second half, we get a stoppage time winner.

Hull (Fa Cup) Decent performance, but not enough attacking efficiency. Again.

Barcelona (H) Great job sticking to the script for 70 minutes. Before then getting overambitious and lazy, and then further throwing it away with Per and Flamini’s cockup.

ManU (A) A totally insipid performance, except weirdly, the first 10 minutes or so.

Swansea (H) A goal up. A referee decision allows a breakaway which we concede from (poor defending) and the crowd turn on the players, moaning and grumbling every pass backwards, players went into their shell, and gave up the game. Poor second half performance.

Tottenham (A) Just the game to get some fire going. Did well to soak up 30 mins of pressure. Then opened them up to score. Could have had another. Coq’s stupid slide tackle gave them the initiative. Then panic and two silly goals conceded. Then a fightback, looking the better team for the last 20 minutes. Ref affected the match with no red card for a Spurs player. Still had a chance to win at the end.

Hull (FA Cup replay) 4-0 Ok performance, some good goals.

Watford (FA Cup) Poor defending on both goals, poor finishing, and a marginal offside call. Deserved loss though. Despite the (too) late fightback.

So, I think in the early part of the year we were just about at the end of having to deal with so many injuries. Remember Coquelin, Cazorla, Alexis, and Welbeck were all out. We’d coped for a long period, but it was starting to tell. We’ve also had a fair few games where referees have negatively impacted us. This is also a narrative of our season that needs to be considered.

For the rest, it has been low confidence, some terrible defending, especially recently, and mostly, a lack of finishing that is the problem.

To me, the defending on transitions is now a worry. I have considered it after some other blogs brought it up as a managerial weakness and it seems that is a legitimate concern (though everyone is vulnerable to the counter to some extent) But in terms of attacking (the tradeoff with the defense I suppose), the manager’s setup is doing its job. Creating chances.

We’re I think still the best at that, and it isn’t all because of Ozil either. We’re just not scoring them. In that, I find it hard to blame the manager. Except of course, he (and I) was wrong in that Alexis, Walcott and the Ox were going to add enough goals to us. In fact they’ve all regressed this season. Is that on the manager? Only in a notional sense for me. It’s on the individual players there.

The other thing is, I think the loss of Santi (and an absence of Wilshere and Rosicky) makes it harder for us to control games now. We rarely keep control of the game with our possession and passing. We need better ball players in the middle because we aren’t efficient in either our defending or our scoring to play a great counter attacking game. We need better ball players, and Elneny seems like a step in the right direction.

So, things that are on the manager. Not buying a striker. Poor defending.

Things that are not in the managers control. Referees. Injuries (I know the argument exists that it’s because of him, but he and the club have done everything to get it to change)

Things that the manager is doing well. Having a system that despite the injuries is helping us create chances.

I think our weaknesses and failings are highlighted more than our achievements which gives the impression that we’re always on the edge of crisis. Is this a crisis?

Not really, no. But it’s just that we now expect to rise up further, and since all the other big clubs have fallen off (Why?) this is seen like a chance that we’re blowing it.

Plus we’re dealing with a history of a negative media campaign going back to 2007 when the words trophy drought were first coined.

Lastly, the season still isn’t over. 9 league games is a lot of games. We’ll see how it goes.

By Shard

63 Responses to Match thoughts

1. Rc78 says:

At the beginning of the year – we chatted about our team s strength and weaknesses. For me – we were missing 4 players at least and really 5

1GK – addressed
    1 CB – still missing
    1 DM – still missing
    1 Fw – that can play left and ST

Bonus – 1 RB

Now we see that these gaps have costed us.
    Not because of injuries but because of lack of quality and steel in starting XI

Anyways – we re used to poor seasons. Let s hope we finish in top 4, ideally top 3 and that Tottenham does not win any trophies

2. Hlanganani Thodlana says:

But how can Wenger keep doing the same old things and yet expecting a different result. He must learn to adjust and to move with the times. Arsenal is a big team to be ridiculed like this week after week like these days. If the money is there and there is a need to reinforce a certain lacking position, then surely the only option is to spend on that position. I do though, think we owe him one more season.

Thanks Shard – good analysis.

Nine games = 27 points. Let’s get ’em all.

4. stephen Pearson says:

Santi is the big miss. Fed up with people blaming the manager. Kronke or what ever he is called has stated he did not buy Arsenal to win championships. He wants the fan base increased to improve revenue.

We cannot complete with Man U Man C Chelsea when it comes to spending money on players.

Success increases fan base and revenue

Leicester is a one off.

5. Shard says:

Rocky

Our longest win streak this season has been 3. It would be a huge reversal of form if we can do that, but it is certainly possible.

6. Shard says:

stephen

You said it yourself. Success increases the size of the fanbase. So if Kronke wants to improve the brand, he would also want success. I feel this Kroenke blame game misses the point. I think most people just disagree about how success is to be achieved. (And the definition of success is also an issue for some people)

Also, I believe we can certainly compete with those clubs now. Maybe we can’t win in a direct battle for a certain player, but we can get the quality we need. (With the caveat that such quality has to be available or we just spend money on bad players)

Thanks Shard, your analysis of what’s been going on is as good as any. What I hear and read more than anything is that we simply don’t understand.

Apart from resorting to blaming the players, the manager, refs, luck, injuries, the supporters, there is no clear or obvious reason and I think this dilemma applies to those who run the club.

The only way to look at it now is just to try to win the next game and improve. We don’t have to beat Barca, but we do have to try to get some kind of result against Everton.

8. Shard says:

Rasp

That’s an astute point. No one really knows what’s wrong. I guess we all feel that something’s got to give. For a lot of people, the most expedient would be a change of manager. It’s easy to do, it’s visible, and it looks like we’re doing SOMETHING.

I don’t believe Kroenke would work that way. Not with Wenger, who, despite what his critics say, has built up a lot of goodwill. Even among his critics there are people who would love it if he could turn it around.

For my part, I don’t believe we’re losing out anything by having him at the helm at least till his contract runs out.

But there really needs to be something to improve our form. Wenger’s found the solutions before. Indeed a lot of his time in the last decade or so have been about firefighting. I believe he can do so again.

9. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

I agree with a lot of what Shard says here.
    On the owner situation I understand people’s desire for a more involved football man. Stan isn’t the ideal owner by any means but I do think there is a tendency at the moment to feel his ownership is almost a worse case scenario rather than one of the better options at the end of the day. But not the best.
    While he’s not a football person he also hasn’t come in and tried to change up the club as some vanity project.
    He mostly keeps his mouth shut and doesn’t speak about Arsenals affairs.
    He let the people with more football experience who had recently built a stadium while qualifying for the champions league continue to run the club as they see fit.
    If he’s taking money out of the club, which he’d be entitled to do, it is quite a small amount.
    Basically I see him as more a custodian than an owner who will put his own money in.
    He let’s Arsenal football club run Arsenal football club without interference is I guess what I’m getting at.
    I don’t know. I’m probably being naive.
    If the club wanted to let Arsene go and he overruled it that would be a different story.

Hi Jeremy, all good points.

I agree that Arsene will probably see his contract out = 1 more season, and that Stan is a ‘hands off’ type of owner – as long as his investment is healthy.

The problem I perceive is that everything has got a bit stale. Nothing new is being said, we’ve heard it all before. When this is the case, something has to change to break the pattern.

Cheers Shard, I know it was a comment turned into post but I would have replied to your comment anyway.

Now I haven’t seen the game or highlights so I can’t independently comment on it, but I have read most of the comments on here from yesterday so I have some vague idea. Also it doesn’t detract from my feeling about the bigger picture, with this game being just one game within that bigger picture which highlights familiar failings.

Firstly I would state that Arsene Wenger has been brilliant for Arsenal. I actually don’t think any other manager could have taken this club to where it is today. Everything about our status in football is down to him and his bravery and brilliance at keeping us highly competitive through those difficult austere years.

The first stage of his tenure with us was the joyful great footballing years with super teams and great attacks and silverware. I do believe he actually revolutionised the EPL (alongside Ferguson). His second stage was keeping Arsenal big and competitive through the austere new stadium years. Less silverware but perhaps an even more important stage in the long run.

As such his legacy needs to be recognised in far greater terms than pure silverware, but he has not been too shabby in that department either has he?

If we had a hypothetical situation where from next year we had another manager who in the space of 4 years won us 2 titles, and a Champions league and I was asked who is Arsenals greatest manager my answer would be Wenger. A few good years of silverware under someone else shouldn’t alter that Wenger is unlikely to ever be surpassed in his achievements for Arsenal and I hope everyone feels the same.

None of what has happened should alter the analysis of the here and now though, and I feel Arsenal is too big an entity to allow sentimentality to shape current and future decisions. I echo FGG’s view that I wanted it to be Arsene but I am not sure it will be him that is able to move us forward from here.

This current side is his project but I severely doubt now that he is able to put the finishing touches to it himself, and we may need someone else to actually finish his own project for him.

It is a good idea Shard to look back as you have done, but I think we can look back as far as 2-3 seasons to see what has shaped us to where we are now. I actually think Arsene started to lay down all the correct foundations to build a squad to win the EPL and compete at the top end of Europe but at the same time I also felt he started to put in place some of his own ideologies that have countered and acted against the good parts.

A bit cryptic I know but I will explain more later when I have time to comment more.

12. Shard says:

That’s a fair enough opinion GoonerB. I’d like to read more of your thoughts on the subject. A number of people whose opinions I respect have recently said it is time for Wenger to go. I don’t agree, but I’m always open to a good discussion on it.

13. TotalArsenal says:

Nice comment/post Shard, but your 1:01pm is the real gem. Everyone should print this off and hang it above their beds, as it reflects reality perfectly:

“While I don’t agree with suggestions that he isn’t replaceable, I will say that he isn’t easily replaceable. Also, it will be a huge decision to let him go. Everyone sees change as welcome because of the potential it offers, but to someone who’s actually got money riding on it (or in my case, emotions invested) there will have to be a risk assessment.”

Qualifying for the CL, and ideally progressing from the group stage, is paramount for a healthy financial position of the club and offering stability to players, shareholders and indeed supporters. Whilst it can be said that Wenger may not be able to push us on to the next level, nobody out there can deny that there is not a safer pair of hands in the world right now when it comes to qualifying for the CL, especially given the resources he is given. If you have your money riding on it you would be an absolute fool to sack Wenger.

Well done Shard for trying to piece together our dismal run, in truth i believe you have to go back two more games to find the root cause.

Yep Southampton away on Boxing Day, a mere 5 days after beating Man City comprehensively at the Emirates, we shipped 4 and looked decidedly average. I’m not sure if that robbed the squad of confidence or what but the reaction by fans and media alike was in my view at the time over the top. Let’s not forget we had just done the apparently impossible by qualifying for next stage of CL despite a dreadful opening two games and then beaten City and seemed to be giving a big up yours to those who questioned our spirit and desire.

Then we shipped those 4 goals, in reality it was a minor blip we came back from that by beating Bournemouth and Newcastle and then drawing 3-3 with Liverpool. Which would be a creditable run but unfortunately draws followed as you highlight and the nasty home defeat to the Chavs. And slowly our confidence and the supporters confidence in our team started to wane.

I will support whoever is in charge at Arsenal always have always will, will always support the players, but I will ask them for more if I feel they are underperforming. Remember the old North Bank chant “Georgie sort em out, Georgie Georgie sort em out” when the players were giving a poor display. Or the often desperate chant of “come on Arsenal”.

I have never asked for an Arsenal manager to be sacked and doubt I ever will it’s just not the way I operate in my head, that includes Terry Neil, Don Howe and Bruce Rioch eras.

The one thing we can’t control is who owns the club and the boardroom, so whilst Arsene leaving won’t necessarily be a bad thing, as their is a chance that rifts in the fan base may be healed, I think the bigger problem is that the entitlement of society in general means that the next manager will have equally as hard a time to keep the fan base united because there will be those that didn’t want the new manager, and those that think the new manager isn’t good enough, and those that worry about whether the new manager can attract big names, and those that think the new manager is not tactically strong enough or should be sacked because he won’t spend enough, and on and on and on.

Before the club can move forward we have to ask ourselves three questions:

Why do we support our club?

Will change of manager/ownership effect that support?

Do the players we have effect our decision on whether we support?

My answers

Because I do

So all I can do is support. And all the club needs to do is provide me a team to support whether they be mid table wreckers or relegation fodder, or as it happens CL regulars.

I happen to agree with Wrighty:

He said “a lot of questions have to be asked” of the current players, adding that they were not doing enough for Wenger.

Wright said Wenger had made them into “massive, rich men” and they had “not achieved what they should have achieved”.

16. Shard says:

GIE

I almost included that Southampton game, but I figured that starting off by talking about 3 wrongly awarded goals would invite responses like so you think only referees are the reason we are such a shambles etc.

So I figured I’d start from the new year.

17. richheart says:

Ok on most of the logic. Injuries,in the main, too. Ramsey, however, (as well as both Ox and Walcott vs. Wednesday) came on without warming up. Down to the guy in the suit.

18. fatgingergooner says:

Ive drilled down a bit further in to the games since January (mainly due to boredom!) and included player ratings from The Mirror and how many of what I would consider our starting 11 were in the line up in their correct position (Ramsey in CM doesn’t count as I think we work better with him RW).

Prior to the season this was probably considered our starting 11:-

Watford (5) LOST 2-1

Ospina 6
    Chambers 7 Merts 5 Gabriel 5 Gibbs 6
    Coquelin 5 Elneny 6
    Campbell 6 Özil 6 Sanchez 5
    Giroud 5

What I can see from these figures is a lot of rotation, too many players under-performing when getting an opportunity, and an inability to get more than 7 of our first 11 players on to the field at the same time. I also see a number of players who don’t seem to have a fixed position in the side. Some of them senior players like Ramsey, Walcott and Welbeck. I think we might get more consistency if we didn’t move people around so much and just used them in one position unless we were desperate.

19. Shard says:

richheart

Do other clubs do it any differently in such situations? I don’t think so. If a player goes off injured then he is almost always replaced immediately. Players are supposed to stay loose by regularly warming up on the touchlines. I suspect that this is a non issue, though I’m willing to be persuaded otherwise.

20. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

I was p***ed off after the Ramsey injury but then I did notice he’d been on 15 minutes before going off so he should definitely have been warmed up by the time he got injured.

I just noticed that in the 9 games we’ve conceded goals in since the new year we’ve conceded first in 7 of those! That’s not good enough. A lot of focus is on the finishing which has been poor, but the extra pressure that is putting on our defence is starting to see us conceding those sloppy goals again that used to cost us games that we dominated. It’s been happening for years and is a horrible trait of the way we play football.

21. Aaron says:

Will support Arsenal no matter what.
    Believe the problems are not totally the managers fault.
    Think Arsene is a futbol genius.
    Board are a bunch of misers. (Have money from CL every year!)
    Keep injured players on the books for years. So what if they come good one year.
    Rotate too much due to injuries. (Different lineups almost every game not by design)
    All total makes for inconsistency that Arsene so craves.
    Clean house with the players-that means ship out non-performers on the payroll.
    Not give starting positions to people on injured reserve.
    Buy people strong like Bac!!!
    Go Gunners.

22. fatgingergooner says:

There may be a more straight forward reason why we are underachieving and it links in with Chelsea. To see why they are having a shocker you just need to look at their best player, Hazard. He is 17 goals and 5 assists worse off than last season! How many of those were match winning goals/assists? Quite a few I imagine.

Our best player, Sanchez, is 14 goals and 4 assists worse off. Even playing as poorly as we are, if he was playing like last season, I reckon we’d be at least 10 points better off.

Obviously the reason behind their poor form needs to be analysed to find the true problems, but as far as just stats go, these are quite damning.

Every side needs match winners to turn them from a decent team to trophy winners. We are lacking that this season (Özil has struggled to maintain his form recently). Even a great ‘team’ like Leicester have Mahrez and Vardy.

Thank you Shard but as you know we don’t always agree and in fact weighing everything up I hope we miss out of Europe altogether this season and if that means finishing 6th or 7th so be it as long term that will be good for the club, give them short term less matches and a new younger man with reasonable resourses can carry on from Wenger.Who that is , I haven’t a clue.

The guy we miss more than anyone despite not always on song is Santi as during this awful run neither Sanchez or Ozil has really driven the team on to maintain a title challenge.

On a different subject the lady doctor is sueing Chelsea for wrongful dismissal and up to now it has been behind closed doors and on camera, and there are vvarious e mails that are distasteful,sent by Mourinho. it is going to a public court in June and that is one of the reasons Mourinho will not get the United job together with the huge influence Charlton and Ferguson still have, who also don’t want him or his style of play.

That is brilliant in its simplicity FGG. Top of the table are Leicester and the spuds with Vardy and Kane in excellent form – it makes sense.

There is no doubt the whole complexion of the game changes when we go in front, but we’ve failed to take those early chances recently, and worse still we’ve conceded shortly after to a soft goal if we do take the lead, and our confidence and composure goes with it.

We’ve also conceded a second goal too often rather than drawing level due to our panic attempts to make amends. I have no doubt that the main problem lies in the heads, and therefore the attitude of the players.

Although it would be a big plus, I don’t see Alexis suddenly rediscovering his form as the complete answer to our woes, but it could be enough to get us 2nd at the end of the season and I’d take that

Thanks Shard
    Not all comments make great posts
    Yours did, and proof being the superb comments. Very reasoned stuff from all.

FGG
    Goals are the medicine. My Doctor told me they were the solution to high blood pressure 🙂

26. Shard says:

kelsey

Not many teams recover well from finishing out of the CL places. Careful what you wish for.

27. Shard says:

Haha.. FGG wields Occam’s razor. Love it!

Shard

I am not willing us to do badly I just can’t see us turning it round, in fact each performance gets worse with the odd good result thrown in,and therefore maybe a season or two out of the CL will wake Kroenke up.

Good heavens Shard. Had to google, but liking what I found

Occam’s razor (also written as Ockham’s razor, and lex parsimoniae in Latin, which means law of parsimony) is a problem-solving principle attributed to William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347), who was an English Franciscan friar and scholastic philosopher and theologian. The principle can be interpreted as stating Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected

30. Shard says:

kelsey

That’s weird. Wake him up to do what? Get back to the CL places? How will it motivate him to get to first more than now, and besides what do you expect him to do about it? He’s not going to put in his money towards bankrolling the club, and he’s not going to tell a manager what to do. He made it clear with his comments that he doesn’t interfere in the sporting side of things because that isn’t his job or expertise (not that he doesn’t care about it as has been misrepresented)

Crystals

It may not wake Stan up at all, and here’s why. Assuming he’s in it for the long haul, and the appointment of his Son and Heir would appear to endorse that, then he can take the long term view, and I mean really long term.

As far as he’s concerned, twenty years might not be a problem 🙄

Oh Dear, have I driven the final nail into the coffin with that last comment? 🙂

Leicester Newcastle tonight.
    I’m praying for a Leicester win
    The attitude of a defeatist, or that of a mature, responsible and frankly terrified Gunner? 🙂

Sod it, let’s discuss wheelie bins 🙂

35. Aaron says:

I agree, lets wait another 20 years for the promise of winning the EPL, when stans son (board) can come in and take even a longer view of staying in the middle.

36. croft says:

The nightmare scenario would be for Wenger to pull off a miracle and win the league fuelling more deluded talk from his sheep.

Thankfully Wenger hasn’t the know how to win the league…

Oh that’s made my day.
    “The nightmare scenario would be…..to…. win the league”
    Ha ha ha. I’ll be having some of those dreams 🙂

38. fatgingergooner says:

🏆 🐏 baaaaa!

39. Sid says:

If I was Kroenke looking at the negatively from the fans and the media l would get Wenger into my office, take a deep breath, grow a pair
    and offer Arsene a new 3 year deal.

Ha ha ha Sid
    I thought something very similar 🙂

Ohhhh, I don’t know what to do
    Leicester lose, and we win that game in hand, and the gap is only five.
    Bugger it, let’s go for it. Come on you Toon
    (yet another Didit U-turn 🙂 )

don’t worry, Leicester winning

43. Sid says:

That hasn’ t helped micky..:'(

And…Leicester score

Shall I do another U’ey, and see what happens, Sid? 🙂

46. Sid says:

We’re only 11 points behind now, yeah if it helps Mick.

Silver lining if Foxes win, they’re five ahead of Spuds with eight to play.

Must go.

48. croft says:

Silver lining. Lol.You’re clutching at straws

49. fatgingergooner says:

Leicester win again! The collapse doesn’t look like it’s coming. Did what we seem unable to do at the moment, score first and shut up shop.

50. Ant says:

Did you know that there is a box that fits exactly into a wheelie bin and it’s on eBay?

Eddie
    When are you heading out to Spain, and do we get a diary update. I’m sure telephone camera pics can be texted to Chas for an upload here.
    Please 🙂

I will send photos of the goals, that should blow my mobile data allowance 😦

Ha ha, good to have a sense of humour about our shiteness

I was thinking of words/phrases that could follow this:

“Arsenal have actually done really well this season despite……..”

🙂

did they fuck

Eddie
    When flight, when home?

What if we fluke a goal in the first 20 mins? Game on, or time to walk out of the stadium while the going’s good? 🙂

going tomorrow at 3 pm so with some luck and ample delays I will miss the slaughter. Back on Friday evening.

hold on a second – are you saying they will score 12 before the 20th minute?? Doomer !!

Damn, what am I doing, the game is tomorrow 😦

Now I will tell you a worse story you have ever read and I listened to yesterday.
    I was at the recycling centre yesterday and an old boy working there was snooping around me helping, scoffing, you can do this, no we don’t take that, showing his authority. Eventually he noticed my AFC number plate and said ‘I’ll tell you a story about this registration!’
    Here is goes:
    “My name is Andy Feret (or Farell) and I hate football. In my day I was popular with the girls. They would scribble AF Fab on lamp posts. One day I was at Highbury with my friend and noticed that many cars had registrations with AFC. I asked him what it meant. He told me it was Andy Feret (or Farell) is a ****. I was very upset every time I saw such registration. Months later he told me it was Arsenal Football Club”. Eddie giggles, says it was a great story and she has to remember it.

Now, you beat that

fgg has sent a post for today so you’re all off the hook 🙂

62. I’ve edited your comment Eddie and it’s on now.

Morning all ……