Wenger’s 3rd Double?

FA Cup quarterfinals, at home in front of our 12th man, a relatively fit squad and against a team we have already beaten 3-0 away this season; surely an Arsenal win – if only it were so simple!

The draw at SHL and away hammering of Hull could and should give rise to optimism with the expectation of a successful run in both the League and FA Cup, The team must be buoyed by the prospect of the Hatrick of FAC’s.

What of Watford? Nice family club ๐Ÿ˜€

Strong in defence and midfield, stuttering upfront after initially looking potent. It is only a couple of moths since the media (bizarrely) ย linked us with Troy Deeney and ย were raving about his strike partner (whose name I can’t be bothered to Google).

Watford have already had an excellent season having probably achieved their target of survival in the PL. They come to THOF in the midst of a poor run having won only 2 of their last 11 PL games.

I like their manager; Quique Sanchez ย Flores, I would like both his job and his name.(useless fact – the legendary Alfredo di Stefano is his godfather)

One certainty this lunchtime is whomever is in goal for Watford will have a stormer. They always do. Both Gomes and Pantilliaman are excellent GK’s and I expect them to be busy, very busy.

Our Team: Ramsey is a major loss especially given the number of injuries in midfield. One more and Flamini returns! However, this gives Elneny a chance to cement his place in the team; a very impressive performance at Hull gives rise to the hope that Mr Wenger has discovered another gem. The El Nino/ Coq combo gives defensive solidity and also allows the attackers to concentrate more on attack. Walcott, in particular, could benefit .

Walcott or Campbell? ย Welbeck or Giroud? What do you think? I lean towards Campbell and Giroud.

I believe that happiness depends upon setting achievable goals; the CL is not achievable thanks to the quality of the top 3 clubs (4 with PSG and 5 with BD). Realistically we are highly unlikely to beat one of them let alone two, so we must look elsewhere to find our goals and they are the PL and the FA Cup. Arsenal have won one of the goals their past two seasons, we are in a strong position to continue this quest for happiness.

The Double is On.

COYRRG

208 Responses to Wenger’s 3rd Double?

1. FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. chas mobile says:

THIRD!!!!

3. chas mobile says:

Thanks, BR.
    Very comprehensive and not as truncated as you led us to believe. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m looking forward to seeing El Neny from a higher vantage point which, of course, means he’ll probably start on the bench.

Theo should be red-hot after his 2 goals and assist on Tuesday…… Bench.

A goal for Danny today would be nice.
    Cheers.

4. Big Raddy, good post.

I think Flamini will start, alongside Elneny. Iwobi to start. Welbeck to start as striker.

With Barca coming up… Coquelin on the bench. Sanchez on the bench. Giroud on the bench.

I have absolutely no doubt about the result and if Theo scores or even plays,no love bites please.

6. Eddie.
    I realise “maybe” you thought me sexist yesterday.
    If so, sorry. It was intended as (yes, pathetic) humour.
    I couldn’t sleep last night.

7. Oh, and Ozil on the bench (or left out completely).

I hope we play our first choice 11 which includes both Sanchez and Ozil. If we are to play a second string team it should be at the Nou Camp (see my last paragraph)

9. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one Raddinski ๐Ÿ˜œ

There is no doubt that Wenger will field a very strong team against Barcelona. He always does in the high profile ones and he is a French romantic after all. And what if we score one after eight minutes…. Eleven Gunners on a gallon of red bull each…

It looks like there is no CB crisis after all and all our attackers are fit and heard the sound of the net a few times recently. The issue we have is we are low on creative/b2b midfielders with only youngsters available for Ozil and Elneny. We need to win this FA cup round so I expect Ozil to play, even for just 70 minutes. I expect Elneny to be rested and Coq and Flam to keep it sensible in midfield.

Up front, Alexis-Giroud-Campbell, just annoy the Purists! ๐Ÿ™„

Flores is a great character. He is divorced from his wife but still convinced her to move to London with their four kids and live not far from where he lives. Takes a man to do that.

CoyGs!

Big Al – are you mad??!!! I was going to reply that I am not a bird, more a bitch than anything ๐Ÿ™‚ Never worry about me, tough old boots

11. El Tel says:

Big Raddy,

How you doing Buddy?

First thing. Please don’t make this site like Le Grove, with all this first third nonsense.

The CL. I have to disagree. We should go there all guns blazing and only pull the plug if after an hour we have no chance.

For the first hour in the first leg we looked as good as them.

Besides, the likes of Ozil,Sanchez and Cech would want to play the CL matches against these teams anyway. Isn’t this why they join these days?

We should play some of those exciting youngsters like Iwobi today with the back up on the bench. Have a good go in the week and go to Everton with our strongest side possible.

There are not many games left this season and this tiredness thing is becoming stupid.

If anyone gets a contact injury then this is bad luck. It could happen to anyone.

I think Wenger has turned us into a weak minded bunch of fans who want players rested to save for so called more important games.

We are the Arsenal. We should go for it every game.

That’s why the Spuds and Leicester are at the top. They are not rotating. They have built confidence with the their best eleven playing regularly.

I will contradict myself by saying I think the Spuds legs may have gone but then they don’t have the squad we have. When the inevitable happens.

We must play our best team every match until the season ends. This Could be next week by the way.

As the old Nike ad says. Just Do It.

El Tel!!

Great to know you are still alive. Been a very long time since we last blogged.

I agree about playing the best team for every game, apart from the League Cup,. I must have been having an “age moment” ๐Ÿ˜€

After all, we are not THFC are we?

if only it were so simple ๐Ÿ™‚ sums it all up nicely. Any other season we would probably be certain of a victory against Watford. This season not only they are playing better than ever, but we are so bloody inconsistent that the result could be just about anything.

I like Quique Sanchez Flores, a very dignified man and a good manager. Oh, and a good looking Spaniard for Micky.

I remember you slaughtered Troy Deeny at the beginning of the season. It seems the man turned his life around and became great footballer and influential captain. Fair play to him, I love stories like that.

I hope we will win, but I am anything but certain.

14. VP of Oz says:

Would it be right to say that if we win the FA Cup this year, that we are the first club in two centuries to win 3 in a row?

Excellent Raddy, thank you.

I just want to see us play with fluency, confidence, energy and composure – not too much to ask is it?

I’d definitely prioritise the FA Cup over the CL. Watford are no pushover, let’s hope we don’t take them too lightly.

Hi El Tel, the ‘first’ references were irony don’t worry ๐Ÿ™‚

VP. Blackburn Rovers won the FAC 3 times in a row and 5 times in 7 years (between 1884-1891).

So yes.

Total

Fascinating story about Flores and estranged family moving to London.

Good read BR, thanks for making the effort as ever.

I think El Tel was criticising those who put Arsenal’s chances of winning the league so low ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. Barbes B. Dawodu says:

You can be certain of one thing, stay focus and win or loss concentration and watch yourselves leave the pitch with dismay. Watford attack is awesome and may cause some serious upset for Arsenal if the proper machanism is not put in place.

Team to play Watford: Ospina; Chambers, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Gibbs; Elneny, Coquelin; Campbell, Ozil, Sanchez; Giroud

Subs: Macey, Bellerin, Monreal, Flamini, Iwobi, Walcott, Welbeck

21. Red Arnie says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ๐Ÿ˜Š

22. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Two up top against us means defensive sensibility a must. Team looks strong, would probably have preferred Danny but happy to save him for Everton next week.

Well played BR – sets up the mood perfectly.

The Arse through to the semis and Spuds to drop points v Villa (please Dennis, please).

24. fatgingergooner says:

Line up makes sense as I’m expecting all out pace against Barca on the counter attack (not that it will matter) so the likes of Welbeck, Walcott, Bellerin will be rested for that.

Big game today. Fingers crossed.

Excellent team, probably the strongest available with a couple of tweaks, although I’d maybe start with Welbeck.

26. Red Arnie says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ™‚

Like that team very much, I wonder why Bellerin is being rested again – is he in the red zone?

OG was level and not offside. Another poor decision which goes against the attacking team.

Perfectly good goal disallowed?

Confident start. And Ollie looked level for that disallowed goal.

Oh dear. Every time Sanchez gets the ball we lose possession.

Our final ball has been poor but not as bad as Watford ๐Ÿ˜ง

We need a striker.

Not the strikers Eddie.

Ollie has already scored what was probably a good goal despite being disallowed and would have had a tap in if Elneny had squared the ball rather than trying a silly ambitious shot.

The ref is letting a lot of hard tackles go but on balance he’s doing well.

Booking a GK for time wasting in the first half takes some cojones. Will make it hard for Pantomimevillain to time waste time in the second half.

We bossed the half and better finishing and officiating would be 3 up.

Sanchez is trying too hard again, he needs a chill pill at half time.

We must beware the counter

Posting from an iphone is ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜ง

We won’t talk about Gabriel who should have been sent off. The attack is not working probably needs freshening up with the WW’S

We bossed the first hald Raddy but no real penetration which has been a pattern for weeks. Not sure what’s wrong with Sanchez compared to when he is at his best.

Five shots, only one on target – familiar? What do those at the game have to report?

A 50/50 tackle with the ref 3 yards away who did not even call a foul, and you think it is a red??

Are you watching the game?๐Ÿ˜ณ

Just read the BBC feed and it is clearly written by a Spurs fan

No I am on the beach ๐Ÿ˜‰

I thought it was a red.

Eddie. You would ๐Ÿ˜

Now is the time to get going. We have started this half asleep

Looks like we need to sign 2 cbs in the summer. Gabriel at fault again according to reports

We’ll be OK.

Three goals to come from us in this half.

Gabriel is having a mare,his fault for the goal and Raddy he had both feet off the ground and then later on nearly did it again.

We need a real uplift from the team just to get a replay as we need the gate money.

Maybe Chambers should be elevated to 3rd choice CB?

For gods sake don’t make a sub until 60 minutes have gone, Mr Wenger

We’ve got to get Sanchez off

Pathetic again ๐Ÿ˜ฆ May as well bring on Theo and Welby now. We’ve had 8 shots and only 1 on target

We’ll win 3-2

Forget it lads we just aren’t good enough,yet again

Wow, that was some shot.

Fairplay, if we are going out it should be tto a goal like that.

Thank goddness Rocky is on the sofa. At least he remains positive.

There is still 30 mins.

Kelsey – don’t waste your time, we are not dealing with “normal” individuals here ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Why did wenger take Giroud off? He was the only one that had a remote chance of scoring. Poor Ozil.

Ozil ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘€

There is no way ozil will sign another contract with us.

61. Aaron says:

Simple this really-need to score a goal to win a game, any game.

This is the first time since 2002 that we have lost 3 home games in a row..

If we lose …

63. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Ohhhh Danny

Can’t believe Welbeck mssed that

Really exciting last 10 minutes.

The Double is still on.

67. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Well we deserved that for our slow start to the second half and the way we were wasteful in the first half.

Suppose we should concentrate on the league now.

68. Aaron says:

There goes our season!
    Out today, Tuesday and maybe 5th in league.
    Ozil and Sanchez are not going to sign for us.
    grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Once again we pay the price for not taking our chances. The ethos of the team is all wrong.

70. Adrian says:

What a joke of a performance. Unless we do somehow to pull off some miracle performance against Barca, expect the remaining games to have a very toxic atmosphere among the fans. Surely Wenger’s last season.

71. Adrian says:

manage to pull off*

72. fatgingergooner says:

I so want Wenger to be the one to win us the trophies but I think this could be the end of the road. Only the title can save us all from a summer of in-fighting and with team confidence now being at a low I just can’t see it.

Oh dear.

I agree, if we lose to Everton next week, the calls for Wenger to go will become deafening.

74. Sid says:

BT sport just went into a advert break with piers morgan#wenger out @btsport
    Anti Arsenal or what?

75. Adrian says:

We’ve only won once in the last 7 games – a damning statistic. Looks like the term bottlers could not be more apt at this stage of the season.

76. Adrian says:

Wenger’s had his chance to leave on a high last season, in retrospect that might’ve been the right decision.

A shame to go out, but what a terrific cup run that was over three seasons

I will leave the site to the “realists”

I am fed up of being one of few who believe in our team.

5th?. Ozil & Sanchez leaving. Not good enough etc etc.

Quite honestly this negativity upsets me as much as being knocked out of the Cup. And that hurts a lot. We won 17 Cup games in a row, a run which inevitably would end.

The final 10 mins showed how much it mattered to the players but no doubt they will be slated by both the Arsenal fans and the press.

Yes, we lost. Yes, we should have won. That is the nature of sport.

79. Shard says:

Jinxed it with the title of today’s blog.

That was a deserved loss. As such, I can take it. I am annoyed by our ridiculous defending on both the goals. There is no way that should happen. Could Steve Bould please bash a few heads. Except Mertesacker’s. He’s already got a concussion.

Also, I have now decided that Micky had it right all along (for this season at least). We’re not managing to play our way back into form. None of this being cautious, building up play. Just go for it like we did in the last 10 minutes right from the off. If we lose, so be it. But we can’t seem to be efficient with our chances, and we can’t seem to keep out the opposition. So might as well go for volume of chances and just keep at it. Most of all, those last 10 minutes were fun. Which is what football should be.

and the CL? We are still in it ๐Ÿ™‚

81. Shard says:

‘Quite honestly this negativity upsets me as much as being knocked out of the Cup.’

Exactly the same for me.

82. Adrian says:

The thing is all the negativity did not stem from this particular one game. Today’s horror show wasn’t a one-off, turning up and playing well has been the exception rather than the norm for Arsenal this season.

83. William McGoonagal says:

FA(feck @rsenal) should but,of course,won’t do anything about teams cynically wasting time, they should get their karma in the semi, here’s hoping!
    Napoleon once said ‘I would rather have a lucky general than brilliant one re. SirArsene Wenger ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

84. Sid says:

That banner on Tuesday certainly did the trick. Let the team know the fans are in it together.

85. William McGoonagal says:

Ah yes that very professional banner that appears after a 4-0 away victory, just the morale boost the team needed at this point in time!
    T’would be interesting to know who was really its author, come forward loyal goon and debunk my conspiracy theory! ๐Ÿ™‚

86. Aaron says:

Puleeze, about the pity of those who want everything to be positive.
    1st stan the man comes out this week and says all he cares about is the brand.
    2nd Arsenal have taken 10 out of the last 27 points in crunch time.
    3rd Have not beaten the worst chavs nor manure squads 2x in a season in eternity, plus got gobsmacked by some hellacious drubbings by chavs, manure and pol. (yes I watched them all to my horror and would rather have 10 red cards than give up 5+ goals to the enemy.
    4th Arsenal have either crapped up the 1st part of the season, the 2nd part of the season, or in the middle of the season for the last decade.
    5th Arsenal pay injured people to stay on the books for years!
    6th Would rather win the game 0-0 and replay than concede to the lowest scoring team in the EPL (exaggeration I know and when a draw is a win!)
    7th Abject effort until the last 10 minutes of the game is $h*te
    Run this team into the ground at practice until some things get nasty, players have a go at each other, and build some gd team cohesion so they take it out on the opposition, This is not a ballet every game:-)
    Said enough for today!

It’s not the fact that we lost that depresses me, although I am not best pleased. It is not the fact that I have to face my in laws, all of which are Watford supporters; no, what really depresses me is the self destructiveness of a growing number of my fellow Arsenal supporters.

My cat is sad because he is not going to Wembley this year ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

And I am upset because there is nothing to be positive about. We are regressing and I am surprised that others cannot see that.

Good news …. England have won the 6 nations as the sweaties did us a favour and beat France ๐Ÿ™‚

Bad news, kane just put the tots one up ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

91. Sid says:

It was only the FA cup the media and the jcl’s have been saying it isn’t worth winning anyway.
    The other good news is Wilshere won’t get his annual fine for singing anti totts songs.

92. Well my West Ham/Everton double is looking good! Just a shame we decided to throw ourselves in for the treble.

All I want is Arsenal to be the best they can be. However positive or negative you are, you cannot deny that at the moment we are not getting the type of results we should be. If Arsenal being a success means us getting a new manager then so be it. I would prefer it to be Wenger who takes us forward, but if not, I can deal with that too.

Onwards and upwards.

93. Shard says:

1st stan the man comes out this week and says all he cares about is the brand.

No he didn’t.

What is point in blogging if many don’t want to hear the truth.He’s lost the dressing room, he made the subs too late and yet again ask yourself sincerely did we as a team look up for the game.

It’s actually quite sad to hear the boss after the game,he is broken but maybe partly by his own doing and now the little matter of restoring some pride to face Barca. Just look at our recent results,on the whole embarrasing,not one of the so called minnows are afraid of us.
    If it up to me I would cut all their wages and build in a bonus for achivement or even improvement.

How can such a great manager now bwe a former shadow of the person he was.
    Sorr,y I am a supporter but a realist and take absolutely no pride in watching endless performances like these and come the Summer we need a huge rebuilding programme, but the majority owner isn’t worried about trophies or improvements on the pitch,just increasing the club’s global brand image.

This may not be appropriate, but if you want to cheer yourself up, then look at the sun going down here. NOW

I hate to say this, but I had a brilliant day surfing on this beach today. Sod the football for a few minutes and enjoy

96. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

I don’t think people have an issue with hearing the truth, but maybe they have an issue when people claim things like ‘he’s lost the dressing room’ as the truth.

Mickey, you should’ve put that link up for tomorrow’s post, I can’t think what else we could publish after this ๐Ÿ™‚

98. Aaron says:

Shard- yes he did!
    “So that’s all good. That will raise the profile of the Rams and of Arsenal in North America,” he said. “What did I learn specifically [from Arsenal]? I think we are learning lots of different things and approaches. And you learn very quickly what that brand means.”

The American recounted the story of a South African Arsenal fan who flies from Cape Town to London via helicopter on regular business trips, and makes friends along the way by handing out Arsenal shirts when he stops to refuel.

“It’s just an example of what a brand can mean, and what we all can do in sports,” he said. “When you can extend a brand — Michael Jordan showed it — you get paid a whole lot more when you can extend your brand. Manchester United showed it. Boy they established levels and benchmarks that people thought unattainable, because their brand extension made people want to pay for it.”

Clear enough…..

99. Aaron says:

And all of stan’s teams are mediocre, average, also rans, middle of the pack, not good enough. Hell, this fool is moving the Rams back to LA to share a stadium with another team- who in the world would want to share a stadium? He would have you believing that we should share a stadium with the spuds and people would believe it…What a tool, don’t care that he makes a lot of money, billionaire that sort of thing. His teams suck!

Rasp
    As far as you’re concerned it is worse. To get to that beach you go through Braunton. Home of Squires fish and chips ๐Ÿ™‚

101. fatgingergooner says:

someone talking about improving the brand, and someone only caring about improving the brand, are two different things.

Oh, Dear God, Spurs won. Ok, green light dooming ๐Ÿ™‚

103. fatgingergooner says:

If we are in a battle for fourth then the West Ham v Man United game going to a replay can only be a good thing for us. Hopefully it wont effect us and we can look up instead of down.

104. Aaron says:

His investment in the team speaks louder than anything I can say here. He single handedly has turned the Av’s, Rams and Arsenal into a laughing stock. If you cant see that any futbol team in the Championship or the EPL does NOT fear us, than people are just being oblivious to reality.

FGG
    Don’t want feel too miserable, but if Liverpool win the Europa, do they take the 4th spot for CL qualification.
    If the answer is yes, I’m off to Grimsby tomorrow, first thing.

106. fatgingergooner says:

When did blogging become about making everyone else agree with your viewpoint?

Micky,

I believe they changed the rules so we would have 5 teams if that happened. Grimsby is safe…..for now! ๐Ÿ™‚

107. Aaron says:

The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage
    โ€“ The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League play-offs
    โ€“ The club that had qualified for a UEFA Champions League play-off spot via their domestic league competition (i.e. finished fourth) will transfer into the UEFA Europa League

Micky, I’ve had many a fantastic meal at Squires – only problem is that in the summer the queue stretches down the road

109. fatgingergooner says:

Aaron,

That only happens if 2 clubs from the same country with the CL and EL and FAIL to finish top 4

ie

Leicester
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    West Ham

CL WINNERS – Man City
    EL WINNERS – Liverpool

Then West Ham would be relegated to EL.

If Liverpool win EL and nobody wins CL then we will have 5 teams in CL. 4TH place and EL winners go into play offs.

110. Sid says:

I prefer CL WINNERS – Arsenal. ๐Ÿ‘‘ It’s got a better ring to it.

111. Aaron says:

Thanks Lads
    Phew, Grimsby may be safe, but I’m mighty relieved I don’t have to become a prostitute. Kinda scared of lonely fishermen late at night down dark alleys, if the truth be told. I shall sleep well.

Yes Rasp
    Nightmare in summer. We go to secret beaches ๐Ÿ™‚

114. Shard says:

Aaron

He’s not the guy who’ll put his own money into transfers or wages, or even infrastructure. We knew that was the deal from the get go.

His American teams run on a different model because they are in a different environment. Anyone who claims we are a laughing stock is being intentionally obtuse. I can name only a handful of clubs who wouldn’t want to exchange their lot with ours. Only City, PSG and Chelsea can put their brand behind their sporting interests because they only need the brand to go so far (and even they spend a lot of time and effort in building their brand, because that gives long term stability) Everyone else relies on building a brand which can then be used for on field success. Why does any of this even need saying? It should be self evident.

‘Hell, this fool is moving the Rams back to LA to share a stadium with another team- who in the world would want to share a stadium?’

Moving the Rams means LA gets a football team and the NFL has always been reluctant to have a single team take that huge catchment area. Sharing the stadium would be a compromise rather than the thrust of his plan.

By the way, Bayern Munich share their stadium.

Changing the subject …….

Has anyone seen the documentary Painting with the Johnsons? It is about Boris Johnsons’ mum who is a brilliant artist despite battling depression all her life and Parkinson’s for 30 years. At the age of 75 she is having her first public exhibition. Her paintings are just amazing, she should have world renown

116. fatgingergooner says:

Just to put peoples mind at ease, Spain had 5 teams in the CL Group Stages this year:-

Barca
    Real
    Athletico
    Sevilla
    Valencia

FGG
    when the senior players have a private meeting that was as is said private and Walcott then steps out of turn to inform everyone, to me means AW has lost the dressing room.

118. William McGoonagal says:

Further to my con_spiracy theory about the author of the extraordinarily bad timed banner post Hull ko 4-0, someone name of DT has claimed ownership on aunty Beeb’s 606 show giving him 30 minutes! airtime!

119. Aaron says:

Shard,
    No, stan the mans plan is to just buy and hold. Value of franchise will go up regardless of true value because the value of the league is going up: NBA, NFL and EPL. Just buy and hold regardless if the teams just fail.
    Do you even know about LA? 2 teams have come and gone from there in the last 10 years, NFL. Ask how many people will support the LA Raiders in Oakland, LA Chargers in San Diego and the LA Rams in St. Louis. Bayern is an anomaly. That area (LA) is going to go bust along with the housing prices. The niners are proving what a disastrous ownership can do- the dork family is in the process of running that franchise into the ground.

120. Shard says:

Aaron

Sure, he’s a businessman and sports is a major part of his business. Buy and hold, but since he’s been here, our commercial income has improved tremendously. Of course that is a continuous process but if it’s one thing American sports know what to do, it is to market themselves. Does that preclude him from wanting more? Maybe, maybe not, but Arsenal’s woes, such as they are, don’t directly draw from that as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not sure the residents of Oakland and San Diego would be happy to be referred to as LA. Those teams might well draw some fans from LA, but having a team with LA on the front who actually play there is a gamechanger and they know it. Even if an area in LA goes bust, as long as you get a Jack Nicholson equivalent from Hollywood to show up, you get the national and global stage. It isn’t a secret that the NFL owners didn’t want a single team to have the LA area to themselves. In any case, how is this relevant?

‘Still believed if Arsene would have been give some $ we could have won the EPL at least 2X in the last decade.’

So do I. But I have no problem with a shareholder not just ‘giving away’ his money to us. There are no free lunches as far as I’m concerned and I’d be a lot more worried if an owner like Abramovich was at Arsenal. I mean it. Trophies mean less than certain other things about my club to me.

Or, Theo believes that the players could and should be doing more.

Which suits your agenda, take your pick?

122. I love football and I love The Arsenal. More than anything I’m shocked that our defending continues to be such a shambles. No team has a given right to win football matches, even The Mighty Arsenal, but with hard work and commitment we should be able to learn from our mistakes. Good defending is about reading the danger and we’re just rubbish at it.

If we can’t score goals easily we should at least be able to snuff out danger more effectively than we are.

I don’t know the answer but there bloody well should be one.

Roll on Barcelona, come on Arsenal get it together.

Shard

Could you expand on this, I would like to know more?

“It isnโ€™t a secret that the NFL owners didnโ€™t want a single team to have the LA area to themselves.”

124. Shard says:

โ€œWe manage this club in a very modern way,โ€ Wenger said. โ€œWe have many meetings with the players and sometimes we encourage them to have their own meetings. โ€œI was completely aware of that and I encouraged it. I would like to reiterate that it was before the Swansea game, which we lost, so it was not unusual and not a miraculous recipe [for winning].โ€

โ€œWe are not going to lie – we know as a unit it has been tough and we all had a good chat amongst us behind closed doors, without even any of coaches or the manager knowing about anything,โ€ the England winger said.

Either one of them is wrong, misquoted/misunderstood, or there were two separate meetings.

Either way, why does any of it have to show that Wenger’s lost the dressing room? That is a huge, and I mean like a quantum level, leap to arrive at that conclusion from the available facts.

I’ve heard that assertion before, on this very site too. Turned out to be nonsense then, is probably nonsense now. Our form is bad enough, and our problems real enough, without needing to make them appear worse and more ‘final’.

125. Shard says:

LB

Owners in the NFL need to agree to any move by a team in the league. Los Angeles is a huge market which hasn’t had a team since I think 1984, when…..the Rams…moved out to go to St Louis.

The League has probably been losing money all this time because of this. (Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hockey all have two teams there but the ‘biggest’ sport has none) I believe there have been various attempts to get a team or two there, but no one came up with a viable plan to make it work financially for all parties (City, League, Owners). Until now.

Oakland is some 350 miles away by the way. SD is about 120 miles. Those are the nearest NFL teams.

126. Shard says:

Not 1984..1994.

127. Shard says:

By the way, if you ever decide to watch the Rams play, keep an eye out for Running Back Todd Gurley. Despite the name, the guy is a beast. Of course I’m biased since I watch some University of Georgia football, and that’s where he’s from.

I’d be interested to know what all the people who put so much energy and thought into defending Arsene think is the reason for us underperforming for the last 10 weeks?

It’s very easy to focus everything on Arsene, but if you think he’s not central to the problem – then what is?

129. Aaron says:

LA is just like any other big city- too many choices (entertainment)and some will suffer. The teams will be called the LA “fill in the blank.” The NFL is just straight out greedy, and that is why the NFL keeps trying to come to LA. The only reason to house 2 teams is to spread the risk, at the tax payers expense of course. Do not even get me started on that extortion. Who is going to be the fan base of those clubs; millenials with no income, living at home with their parents…lol

The Arsenal have not played proper defense in over a decade. Yes we have some tight years with goals against averages, but that is down mostly to good keeping and a run of solid games, Szcz is a very good keeper. But Arsenal have been unbalanced since Barc left, no solid DM unitl this year, and rotating left backs for a while. Need solid back 4 to not allow 5-8 goals in against quality opposition. When has any really solid Arsenal team ever capitulated like those horror shows when in the middle of a championship run? NEVER….
    Am not going to reply anymore as this has run its course. Will be watching the Barca game with trepidation, all the while hoping the Arsenal don’t ship 6+. Will still support the team obviously, but am not happy with the way this season is ending .
    Go Gunners.

130. Sid says:

I would say it is a combination of key players like Cazorla and Le Coq out injured, Theo and Giroud totally out of form and devoid of confidence. Sanchez both of the aforementioned.
    Also the expectation of being the favourites to win the “poor” premiership this year and we cannot finish above a rubbish pub team.
    The stadium has a tense atmosphere.

131. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t know the answer to your question Rasp but I know he’s the problem when it comes to the split in the fan base that’s for sure. Either he starts winning trophies or we get another manager. I don’t see any other way in which Arsenal becomes a fun club to support again. It certainly isn’t at the moment. I don’t even look forward to the matches anymore because I’m almost expecting a f**k up from the team followed by loads of arguments between fans.

It’s depressing.

Thanks Fgg, its a very difficult question to answer because emotions run high. Most of us find it hard to be objective when it comes to AW and The Arsenal.

133. fatgingergooner says:

Agreed Rasp.

A couple of things the vast range of opinions I see on blogs have made me realise are things are never as good or as bad as they seem, and things are always worst the same day as a bad result. So no doubt I will be on here tomorrow with a much more positive outlook ๐Ÿ˜„

For now though, I will say that I don’t think Wenger will sign another contract at Arsenal. This will be his last one wether it finishes this season or next. Maybe we get to taste success in that time, but our current form would suggest that might not be the case and it could be a painful watch, but you never know. Surely the most unpredictable PL season ever deserves an unpredictable end!

Agreed again FGG.

My worry is that he will see out his contract but by the end he will have soured the memory of his incredible legacy. The great thing that Fergie knew was when to call it a day.

I have no time for those who say ‘be careful what you wish for’ because inevitably he will leave one day and that must be accepted.

The bigger worry is whether Gazidis and the Board have the football knowhow to select an appropriate successor.

135. So a team of intelligent young men with experienced men like Arteta and Rosicky in the background aren’t able to remember how to play football anymore?????????

It can’t all be down to Arsene, these guys are footballers, they’ve been playing football for years. Are their skills a figment of our imagination?

I watched Giroud win header after header today, battling two centre-backs to gain ground and no-one, not a single player was anywhere near him for the knockdown!!!!!!!!!! I’m sorry but that is just pathetic.

It was clear in the first half that the team wanted Elneny to score and I’m sure he’s scored some crackers in training but in a match surely the player in the best position gets to shoot??????

So, who decided Elneny should score today??????

I’m cross

You miss the point entirely peaches.

Either Arsene trains the players and schools them in a style of play or he doesn’t.

If he does, it is failing. If he doesn’t and as you suggest and just sends them out and tells them to work it out for themselves then he is not doing his job.

Can you think of any other team that so often dominates possession and yet fails to win games.

We struggle to get past a parked bus and yet always accommodate the opposition by giving them ample time to from their defensive ranks.

We slowly compress play in the opposition’s half and make ourselves vulnerable to being hit on the counter.

We discourage shooting and instill the need to always look for the extra pass – and so our players lose their edge in front of goal.

I could go on. These are all discernible traits in our style of play. So if its not the manager and not the players, it must be the supporters’ fault ๐Ÿ™„

137. Sid says:

It would be better for Arsenal and Arsene to agree on the best time to step down or upstairs.
    Timing on available managers is the key, not just get rid and undraw the curtains the next morning and see what failures are out of work
    Liverpool got it right, wanted Klopp and got him before bigger and better clubs stepped in.
    Who is available right now, Moyes, Mclaren, Mourinhio, Sherwood?
    Be careful ๐Ÿ˜‰

You just came out with ‘the beware what you wish for’ line Sid ๐Ÿ˜†

Is it inconceivable that there could be another manager out there who could take the team forward? It doesn’t need to be a known big name – Arsene wasn’t. It requires someone at Arsenal with the knowledge and vision to unearth the right man.

139. Sid says:

That smiley is a wink Rasp ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜€ fair do’s Sid.

I could put most of these overused phrases (especially my own) into Room 101

142. Sid says:

Oh and I agree with your comment.
    Perhaps someone like the new Dortmund manager would be ideal. But just putting names forwards is wrong.
    We want someone who knows how to win, spot talent early, play good football, act with dignity, respected throughout the world.
    I would sign Arsene if he easn’t ours lol.

143. Sid says:

Anyway I’m off, keep up the good work this is still a nice place to visit even on s bad day.

Thanks Sid.

I don’t believe the players have lost faith in Arsene Wenger per se, I’d guess they are all still very loyal to him – but maybe they have they lost faith in the style of play he prescribes …. my guess is yes, Alexis certainly seems frustrated.

145. Rasp I understand what you’re saying ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

You make good points about Giroud’s knockdowns not being picked up by the midfield. You have also said many times that he himself doesn’t attack the ball and throw everything at it when in the box. These are all symptomatic of a lack of the killer instinct that defines the most successful teams.

We’ve seen performances where we’ve scored 3 goals in the first half and just coasted the second, where other teams would punish the opposition and scored 5,6 ….7. When was the last time we really put a team to the sword?

147. fatgingergooner says:

I’m still hoping Joachim Low wants a new challenge after the Euro’s. He’d be perfect for us imo.

148. fatgingergooner says:

Ospina
    Chambers
    Mertersacker
    Gabriel
    Gibbs
    Coquelin
    Elneny
    Campbell
    ร–zil
    Sanchez
    Giroud

You only have to go down that list to see part of the problem. How many of these players are in form? How many are top quality? How many are still projects that have not yet peaked?

FGG

That team could win the league, based on ability.

The lack of form and apparent lack of cohesion to our play is the worry.

150. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

At this stage I’d be happy to see Arsene go just so I don’t have to read all the abuse aimed at him any more.
    He’s been manager for so long now that people who want him out have 15 years from which to choose their grievance.
    Whether it’s that he can’t pick a back four, or hates English players, or loves English players too much, or doesn’t do tactics, or doesn’t spend the money because he wants to prove some point to everyone , it’s getting too tiring to keep going over and over old wounds and myths that go back years.
    For at least a few months I won’t have to read how our manager is deluded, or stubborn, or myopic or some sort of mad cartoon dictator that’s part Mussolini and part Mr Magoo.
    I’ve seen the German team manager mentioned, as well as the Dortmund manager. I think Simeone might be another good choice.

151. VP of Oz says:

I’ve been a fan of Arsenal for just over 40 years and even now amongst all the myopia, I find it easier to support this current team and the current form of Arsene then it was to support George Graham. Yes I’m disappointed we lost to Watford, but it is a knockout comp and we’ve gone undefeated for so long and picked up 2 more FA Cups in the process, so time to move on. Bring on Barca, Bring on Everton. COYG!

Hey. look we won on expected goals.
    It’s just the damn actual goals we’re finding it hard to come by.

Antiques Road Show followed by Night Manager???

Reckon I’m 50% 100% right ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice
    Haven’t seen any of the game or goals, so great to see that Mesut Danny goal. Purr as you say

AR yes, saving Night Manager for an iPlayer viewing.
    Was bolloxed last night, so early to bed.

Great to see Mr and Mrs Arnie and the Peach before the game yesterday.

Arnie dragged Mrs A down. Eeks. Hope he gave her a dose of culture later.

He is a dose of culture himself..

In the nicest possible way, of course.

Arsenal’s season over?
    Or just an amazing run in the cup over?

I’m not sure I was privileged to be there to hear it. ๐Ÿ™‚

161. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Ok sorry to the breakfast club but I’m going to get footbally.

After the Barca game I spoke about how Barca retained their shape at all times and did not compress the play on to our parked bus, the ball came out to be collected by Rakatic and Busquets who with Iniesta switched the ball around whilst waiting for the three ahead of them to constantly move into space.

Back to us yesterday and we often saw BFG and Gabriel being left in 2 on 2 foot races, which had no need to happen and was partly because of the gaps left by Coq, Gibbs, Elneny and Chambers being left to join in.

Ozil was one of the players deepest with the ball because he knows how to find space to operate.

I actually thought for the first twenty or so we were doing ok picking up the lost balls and finding little avenues of pleasure, the most disappointing aspect was our final ball when we had Giroud on the pitch so many crosses were low during this period.

Then as the game went on we got suckered into throwing more men forward and giving Watford a far easier out ball, which they eventually punished.

Look at their second look at Gibbs (who I like for commitment) but he sprints back and then doesn’t look around to see where the most obvious danger was, and allows that free shot on goal.

And I’ll take a hard worker over a superstar any day of the week, I thought Campbell excelled yesterday, he doesn’t overthink his use of the football, he has an idea what he is going to do before he has it which tends to mean he moves it quickly, so many are either low on confidence that they are struggling with this, or are just totally out of form.

As Peaches said the reason for our disappointment is largely due to looking at the players in most games and thinking they are good enough to get a result, and somehow they are blowing the chance. The United game still sticks in the throat due to the lack of discipline on display and heart.

I’ve said it before but whilst the focus is so much on the manager the players get a free pass, and maybe that’s of Arsene’s own making due to his longevity in the job, but we know what these players are capable of, and that’s why it hurts so much to see them try to throw the league away and unfortunately now the FA Cup.

I hate to look at Spuds and Leicester as I look at the players and can maybe pick one or two from each side that may get in or first eleven, and only 3/4 that may get in our second eleven, but maybe that’s the point, as players they know they need to deliver 100% week in week out to be competitive, and leave it all out on the pitch, and maybe that’s why they are first and second, and us, City, United and Chavs all with far more “stars” and generally more talented players are languishing behind?

Well, it’s over in so far winning anything is concerned, because we’re playing crap ๐Ÿ™‚

However……we are going to play 10 more games of football, and who knows, we may score some goals ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes Exile, all very interesting, but you do know how we all feel about complicated things at this time of day ๐Ÿ™‚

We had 20 efforts only 4 on target.
    Just look at that dolphin’s head trying to score. ๐Ÿ™‚

GIE
    (this is morning club standard of analysis)

Arsenal had a total of 20 shots as Watford defended their own goal (left), but only four of those hit the target. The Hornets meanwhile, had just two shots on target – and scored them both.

And there’s me trying to focus on the good and beautiful in the Mesut Danny goal, and all you can do is then focus on a miss

๐Ÿ™‚

Love your work on the heat map though. Very pretty.

It was Iwobi’s effort unluckily coming back off the post I was focussing on!

Ahhhh, ok ๐Ÿ™‚

Mind you, in both clips, there appeared to be a real sense of urgency in our play

Yep, last 10 minutes was good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just looked at fixture schedule, and it’s looking really bad.

Bara away, and Everton away Saturday. Then a two week break. That could be a very very long two weeks.

Must think of some games to play.

do we have to talk about the disaster?

Lets talk about something positive……no ideas here

Is anyone got any type of post I want to put up today, I don’t care if it has nothing to do with football

I know! Wheelie bins ๐Ÿ™‚ in Oakwood they collect all the rubbish every week. In Potters Bar one week is rubbish and next week recycling.
    in oakwood plastic is recyclable, but not in Potters Bar. Same for untreated wood, etc. I pay huge council taxes for both houaes and pisses me off I cannot even get rid off the rubbish. so I travel with a car full of junk and fill up wheelie bins according to corresponding councils’ rules ๐Ÿ™‚ I win, they will take my rubbish away.

173. Shard says:

Rasp

An interesting question yesterday, as to if not Arsene, what is happening in the last 10 weeks.

Now it’s all tended to blur as one bad run (which it is) so I went back and looked at our games since the new year and just my impression of them.

Newcastle (H) Unmemorable except I think a defender scored.

Sunderland (FA Cup) Again, I can’t remember. Routine victory.

Liverpool (A) Frustrating to concede late. Felt at the time that might be huge

Stoke (A) Refereed in a manner that was harmful to us (not big decisions, just how it was refereed)

Chelsea (H) Not a very good performance, but the red card changed everything . A handball penalty appeal from us prior to that was not shown on replay on TV.

Burnley(FA Cup) Chambers goal is what I remember.

Southampton (H) Once again, I have to bring up the referee. Lee Mason as I recall. It was at this point that I believed we wouldn’t win the league. The other takeaway from this game was that we didn’t take our numerous chances. Which isn’t new.

Bournemouth (A) A decent performance and good win.

Leicester (H) Poor refereeing first half. Crowd up for it. Referee decided to play fair second half, we get a stoppage time winner.

Hull (Fa Cup) Decent performance, but not enough attacking efficiency. Again.

Barcelona (H) Great job sticking to the script for 70 minutes. Before then getting overambitious and lazy, and then further throwing it away with Per and Flamini’s cockup.

ManU (A) A totally insipid performance, except weirdly, the first 10 minutes or so.

Swansea (H) A goal up. A referee decision allows a breakaway which we concede from (poor defending) and the crowd turn on the players, moaning and grumbling every pass backwards, players went into their shell, and gave up the game. Poor second half performance.

Tottenham (A) Just the game to get some fire going. Did well to soak up 30 mins of pressure. Then opened them up to score. Could have had another. Coq’s stupid slide tackle gave them the initiative. Then panic and two silly goals conceded. Then a fightback, looking the better team for the last 20 minutes. Ref affected the match with no red card for a Spurs player. Still had a chance to win at the end.

Hull (FA Cup replay) 4-0 Ok performance, some good goals.

Watford (FA Cup) Poor defending on both goals, poor finishing, and a marginal offside call. Deserved loss though. Despite the (too) late fightback.

So, I think in the early part of the year we were just about at the end of having to deal with so many injuries. Remember Coquelin, Cazorla, Alexis, and Welbeck were all out. We’d coped for a long period, but it was starting to tell. We’ve also had a fair few games where referees have negatively impacted us. This is also a narrative of our season that needs to be considered.

For the rest, it has been low confidence, some terrible defending, especially recently, and mostly, a lack of finishing that is the problem.

To me, the defending on transitions is now a worry. I have considered it after some other blogs brought it up as a managerial weakness and it seems that is a legitimate concern (though everyone is vulnerable to the counter to some extent) But in terms of attacking (the tradeoff with the defense I suppose), the manager’s setup is doing its job. Creating chances. We’re I think still the best at that, and it isn’t all because of Ozil either. We’re just not scoring them. In that, I find it hard to blame the manager. Except of course, he (and I) was wrong in that Alexis, Walcott and the Ox were going to add enough goals to us. In fact they’ve all regressed this season. Is that on the manager? Only in a notional sense for me. It’s on the individual players there.

The other thing is, I think the loss of Santi (and an absence of Wilshere and Rosicky) makes it harder for us to control games now. We rarely keep control of the game with our possession and passing. We need better ball players in the middle because we aren’t efficient in either our defending or our scoring to play a great counter attacking game. We need better ball players, and Elneny seems like a step in the right direction.

So, things that are on the manager. Not buying a striker. Poor defending.

Things that are not in the managers control. Referees. Injuries (I know the argument exists that it’s because of him, but he and the club have done everything to get it to change)

Things that the manager is doing well. Having a system that despite the injuries is helping us create chances.

I think our weaknesses and failings are highlighted more than our achievements which gives the impression that we’re always on the edge of crisis. Is this a crisis? Not really, no. But it’s just that we now expect to rise up further, and since all the other big clubs have fallen off (Why?) this is seen like a chance that we’re blowing. Plus we’re dealing with a history of a negative media campaign going back to 2007 when the words trophy drought were first coined.

Lastly, the season still isn’t over. 9 league games is a lot of games. We’ll see how it goes.

respective not corresponding, sorry chas

there you are Rasp – today’s post out of the way, we can talk about something else

176. Shard says:

๐Ÿ˜›

Rasp “Anyone with an idea for a post?”

Eddie “Wheelie bins”

Eddie, there’s a damn good reason we love you ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks shard, I can’t turn your comment into a post, but if one of the other administrators has the time it would be much appreciated

micky – why? because I am completely bonkers ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Did you know that chas came round to mine with a lovely box for me? Made my day

terrible downpour, but great council – all the wheelie bins were emptied.

181. Shard says:

Eddie

The bins were migrating in search of food ๐Ÿ˜›

aha, so it wasn’t in England. Here the migrants want benefits ๐Ÿ™‚

183. fatgingergooner says:

Great comment Shard.

I still feel that if we can just start winning games then a huge amount of the negativity surrounding Wenger and the team will disappear again. It only seems to intensify when we are on a bad run and it’s been a while since we’ve had one last as long as this. If we lose to Barca and Everton though then it’s going to be a long 2 weeks.

With the results I think the fact we are going to end up playing 9 games in 27 days has a lot to do with poor results. I’m not talking fitness, but just general momentum. If we’d started positively then maybe we could’ve got on a roll, but we didn’t and things have gone the other way. The first of those games was Hull at home in which we rested players and ended up drawing 0-0 meaning a replay and even more games crammed in. I think that’s where it all started and where any momentum from the Bournemouth and Leicester games was lost.

Well Raddy did his money on United, I told him it would be a draw or an away win.

Just read arseblog,god it’s depressing and it’s a long time since I read peaches so mad.

No defence,no midfield,no attack, no idea otherwise everything is alright.

Just look at our form over the last 2 months it’s relegation form and of course just to rub it in Spurs still right up there for the title whilst we are going to be lucky to get forth.

3 home loses on the trot, Swansea,Barca (OK) and Watford but as GN5 would say we must remain positive.

In all seriousness we can’t always blame injuries or the manager though he is ultimately responsible and extremely well payed to motivate he team whilst kroenke spends billions on a ranch.

The club is in a mess and I can’t emphasizr enough that with so many payers retiring or out of contract and the few youngsters in the squad practically unproven we are in for a very tricky few seasos, read this from arseblog today.

Shard you need a reality check just read the link from arseblog one of the most respected bloggers in Arsenal land. We have imploded whichever way you look at it.

tra la la la tra la la la la shard will eat kels alive now tra la la la

Sorry Shard I didn’t mean to be rude to you,it’s just that the facts are there as to how we have imploded and I am furious about many things. It isn’t a time yet to get positive.I would love to be proved wrong.

188. Shard says:

kels isn’t very palatable Eddie. Too much fur ๐Ÿ™‚

ha ha ha, that is true, he is a hairy beast ๐Ÿ™‚

Is someone able to sort Shard’s post please, I can’t do it from my phone ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

191. Shard says:

kelsey

It is bad. Probably the worst run of form for years. I suppose the difference in view comes from people saying it is same old same old, or that it is mostly a one off.

There are viable arguments for both, but I understand the desire for change. It’s fresh, it’s new. It’s not consistent. Why do people get excited about Liverpool’s games? Or Spurs hailed all the time as being a breath of fresh air. (not just this season). Because neither have stayed near the top long enough to get jaded by it.

Arsenal have. I maintain that the negativity we’re seeing persistently has less to do with good judgment and more to do with the years of being told that Arsenal are bad, or a joke. Such views are now normally aired without a sense of introspection at all.

Our challenge is to step up out of our comfort zone without falling backwards. It’s not easy. And while this season has been a great opportunity, the idea that we won’t have other opportunities next season onwards is unnecesarily pessimistic. Clubs with big money have won the last 10 PL titles. Arsenal now count as one of the clubs with big money. The question about the manager, I would entertain more seriously if it didn’t pop up every single time a result went against us in the last 5 years.

In some ways fgg is right. The only way to unite the fanbase might be for Wenger to go. But I don’t want to give in to that. Just like I don’t want to give in to the cheating that goes on in the PL. Just like I don’t want a billionaire to fund us.

Is Wenger the right man to take us forward? Not in the long term certainly because of his age. Is he holding us back as much as people like to make out? I don’t think so. He’s just too familiar. We know all his shortcomings and we make our discussions all about them, some going so far as to discount everything good that he has done over the years. I would be ok with him leaving, but I’ll never be ok with him being pushed out. He doesn’t deserve that.

192. Shard says:

Oh and I’ve read arseblog virtually everyday since 2005. I have great respect for his abilities as a writer and all the other content he’s created. Doesn’t mean I agree with everything he says.

193. TotalArsenal says:

Sheโ€™s frequently kind and sheโ€™s suddenly cruel
    She can do as she pleases, sheโ€™s nobodyโ€™s fool
    And she canโ€™t be convicted, sheโ€™s earned her degree
    And the most she will do is throw shadows at you,
    But Arsenal is always a woman to me

Yep dire times but the season isn’t over yet and what are the highs without the lows for contrast?! You can blame, you can shame or just hope for better in the next game. CoyGs! ๐Ÿ™‚

Last time I ask, I need help …

Rasp
    No-one to help
    Chas gon salon
    Erik gon sulk
    Office on strike

196. There is a new post (Shards comment, as requested by Rasp)) … https://arsenalarsenal.net/2016/03/14/match-thoughts-2/