Vote: Beat Barcelona or Spurs?

So… here is the premise: The first knockout round of the Champions League is currently known as the Arsenal Stage because we (almost) always lose in it. We are about to face a team who are 31 games unbeaten, Champions of Spain and considered one of the best teams of all-time.

i.jpeg

Concurrently, we sit close to the top of the Premiership and have a damned good chance of winning it. In our way is an away trip to The Cave-Dwellers. Never a pleasant experience and a costly one in terms of points in recent times. A win there virtually eliminates the Lillywhites from the title race whilst boosting our own hopes.

Beating Barca over two legs would be immense but in your opinion would it carry as much glory beating our neighbours ?

68 Responses to Vote: Beat Barcelona or Spurs?

1. OzilsFunyIs says:

“Don’t care about Spurs, they’re not a threat”

lol you lot are pathetic

It’s beat spuds for me, I don’t think we have a prayer against Barcelona, I know anything can happen in football etc but beating spuds is more likely.

The other thing that should be mentioned is that we will be much better prepared for our trip to WHL than we were earlier in the season, we didn’t take them seriously enough at the Emirates but we certainly will on the 5th of March.

“Don’t care about Spurs, they’re not a threat”

I am trying to find this quote, anyone know?

Blimey, nearly 300 votes already.

Brilliant vote idea Erik, thanks

I’m surprised the voting is neck and neck. I voted beating Barca., as I reckon we’ll lose two more league games and still end above those idiots from down the road

I would love to beat Barcelona, although while I can’t wait to see that front three in action, I will be doubling up on the pants 🙂

Erik

I did try my best and find a loophole, and I think I may have it.

The Barca option was for the tie over two legs. Here’s what I’d settle for. Thrashing Barca at home, but losing the tie away AND thrashing the Spuds away. Yip, that works.

Although I’d be lying 🙂

It would be so good if we could have let’s say 3 wishes per season. First wish – we beat Barca next week, second wish – we beat Spurs next month. All we have to do is make a wish and pronto – 1:0 to the Arsenal in both fixtures 🙂

But bloody life is not like that, is it? we can wish all we want, the future looks bleak, on both counts. There, people wearing pink shades.

6. RC78 says:

I can take losing to Barcelona but I cannot take losing to Spurs and finishing behind them in the league…

Let us beat the bloody Spurs and let us beat them emphatically as well – like 1-3 🙂

Eddie, Eddie

Even in a dream you can only conjure 1-0 wins

500 votes now!!!

ere we go! 1:0 against both Barca and Spuds not good enough for the squire

with 500 votes where are all the comments?

Thanks Raddy. Looking at it in a purely black and white way I voted beat Spurs, because I am with most that we will not beat Barca, at least not over 2 legs.

Being more specific I would go with beat Spurs and don’t embarrass ourselves against Barca. A good performance over 2 legs can still boost confidence, even if knocked out, whereas a thumping and a humbling lesson could dent confidence going back into the remaining EPL games which could derail us.

Sorry to say it again I don’t think we have been quite developing and building the side in the right way over the last 18 months to take on the likes of Barca. I think we can and should aim to get towards their level, and could have been a bit closer to their level even now. I feel we will need to rethink things to some degree to move forwards as a top side, but that is maybe more an end of season priority.

I also feel our recently favoured first choice 11 will be exposed by their team and we will need to try a different set up to keep in touch with them in these 2 games. Pace at the back and all across the front line will be an absolute necessity with two mobile good ball winners and protectors in midfield.

As such I think Barca represents a good game to try a different type of play and to rest some and give others a shot. Give Barca a good game at least and we can finish the domestic season with great hope and confidence and take that forwards next year, but the Spurs win is more important for this season..

11. TotalArsenal says:

I’ll take a draw at the Dump and give the Catalans an Arse spanking over two legs any day. A strike force with a market value of close to £250m, how vulgar is that? Would love to see the faces of the Muncher and tax dodgers when Ollie scores the winner in the last minute at the bath tub. 🙂

Excellent, the perfect topic for a vote, thanks Raddy 🙂

I too voted to beat the SDs, like LB, I say they can never finish above us let alone win the EPL

Cheers, BR.

Beating the spudulikas for me, even though I won’t have any local bragging rights.

In fact winning the League will always come before any poxy cup competition. Not that a win against either would necessarily be a precursor to taking home a trophy. 🙂

Interesting poll result. I thought everyone would vote to beat Spurs.

Shows how little I know

What is also interesting is that over 1200 people have visited the site so far today and yet only 500+ voted.

Why wouldn’t you vote if you have taken the time to visit the site thanks to your interest being piqued by the headline which is about voting?

Can someone give me some perspective? Is 1200 a lot or a little?

18. Le Coq Monster says:

Cant believe how many ^%$£^*&^%s have voted to beat Barca !……..I demand their names and addresses now !!!…………..I have torture equipment !

Hi LB, 1,250 unique visitors and 1,750 hits is below average … but the day isn’t over yet!

Beating the spuds is winning the day, I’m not at all surprised 🙂

Apart from anything else, there is no shame in losing to the best team on the planet … but losing to that lot 😦

20. Red Arnie says:

Nice teaser. Eric the Hun, is it? Thank you. 🙂

Revenge is a dish best served cold. COYG. 🙂

21. Red Arnie says:

Barca. of course. 🙂

22. Red Arnie says:

Now, if it was, winning against Barca against finishing above Spuds. hmmmm. Now, thats a tough question! 🙂

23. Red Arnie says:

You see, Raddy, there are loonies like me hiding in their closets! 🙂

I had a look and this post appeared on the Totteringham Newsnow, presumably because of the tag.
    Maybe that accounts for those “people” who have had a look but not voted?

I must admit I thought 95% would vote spud.

Arsenal star man wants to give Gunners big boost for title clash with rivals Tottenham

SANTI CAZORLA hopes to be available for Arsenal’s title showdown against Tottenham next month

…no worries so 🙂

27. Raddy, I accuse you of heresy

It’s no excuse to claim you are expressing a question in order to spark debate, or to impress some posh Dane who has something you want.

What ever happened to punch ups down the Seven Sisters Road?, which because of medical advice I unfortunately had to observe from a safe distance.

What happened to running into Garth Crooks at Arnos Grove petrol station and enquirining how big is his closet?, or seeing Steve Archibald in a Southgate pub and offering financial payment to scare unwanted wildlife from ones garden?

How about bumping into Graham Roberts in Zenon nightclub and informing him what you admire most is his intelligence and that by taking a Mensa test he could well save humanity, or at a minimum, be crowned King of Borneo? Or the same night, telling Micky Hazzard you wish you had his face?

What happened to these things?

Couple of things to consider re the poll result

I reckon it would have been far more in favour of beating Spuds had it been Beating Barca or Ending Above Totnum

Also, I’d imagine many voters have never lived in London and consequently never had to go to work and face the little shits the following day

29. Red Arnie says:

I agree, Micky. 🙂

Professor Beard, what a pleasant surprise

All well? North of the border?

Terry. You are right. Shame on me.

Transplant
    I believe Hazard is a black cab driver. I would love to jump aboard. Can you imagine the fun you could have.

Spuddies drawing in Italy – I suppose it’s good if they progress and lose in the semi?
    Midgetland beating the mancs at the moment.

36. Red Arnie says:

Micky, I have been landed with loads of admin. Otherwise, things are OK. Frosty nights and wild scraping in the mornings continue. No complainsts. 🙂

37. Red Arnie says:

Micky. Are you fully fit now?

38. Red Arnie says:

Ah well, I am heavily involved in other things as well. Not to be discussed here. Some people here will know. It is important, but very time consuming.

Sorry, speaking too much about myself. But you asked for it. 🙂

39. Red Arnie says:

ManUre lost against some postcodes. Was this not van Gaal’s aclaimed best chance to qualify for CL? 🙂

Midgetland 🙂

41. Red Arnie says:

Sorry, Raddy, did not realise that was a Danish team! 😛

42. Red Arnie says:

Evonne. 🙂

why would you arnie? Nobody has ever heard of them, until they beat United 🙂

44. Le Coq Monster says:

Midgetland team photo before United game .

45. Red Arnie says:

Evonne. 🙂

Cockie. what a photo! 😛

ooooh gorgeous Gary’s Valencia winning 5:0 🙂

They’re playing the blind school.

Wonder if someone has woken with a rant in mind – hope so. I am in the mood for a moan.

Police helicopter over the apartment block at 6 this morning.Not amused.

Is that Bowie? Diamond Dogs era?

And who is the charmer listening enjoying a bit of static?

You can see what the designers for Bladerunner based their city upon.

I had forgotten about Metropolis. Queen used it in one of their Vids. Must watch it again.

Midgetland ROLF and Morning

Apart from Erik’s Sniffer Chopper with its dope plant infrared seeking device, it’s hard to be angry about too much

manu losing last night is good news for us. Winning in Europe is their only chance of playing in the CL next season. So, they MUST win on 25th, 3 days before they play the Mighty. That, and losing De Gea is all in our favour

hard to be angry about too much. Yeah, sure.

Can we have the photo from yesterday’s post removed now? I’ve had enough of looking at the smiling gobs of those 3 from Barca

So … Beating Spurs beat Beating Barca 3-2.

Much closer than anticipated

Erik
    Danny Boy was a clever choice. Uses all strings so get to practice those bow movements.
    Dreadful song, what with being Irish and foreign
    Prefer me Tchaikovskys and me Bachs, but they’re not famous for writing music for eight year old beginners 🙂

Cheer up Erik, I’ve had an idea for a mini rant. On it. Back in ten.

Post sent

Chas
    Those moving eye vids are really spooky

Pleased to read you enjoy Danny Boy. It is a good tune and guaranteed to drive the family nits after the 50th rendition.

What did Mr Easter do to himself?

New Post