I Hate Professional Football

Tell you what I dislike most about the modern game. Professionalism.

Yes, all the money in the game has brought exciting foreign players to these shores to brighten the gloomy winter days, but all the loot has had a very nasty side effect. We’ve killed the characters in the game.

Prime example close to home is the case of Jack Wilshere. I mean, Dear Lord, one effing fag break caught on someone’s Twitter Device and all hell breaks loose. We cannot possibly have our sensitive sponsors all blubbing and withdrawing their cash, can we?

George Best. The cars, the night clubs. The tight trousers. Superb. The morning after winning the European Footballer of The Year Award, George was found clutching the shiny figurine in a gutter after a night of serious thirst quenching. Marvellous stuff.

(L-R) Manchester United's George Best and his fiancee Eva Haraldsted outside his clothing boutique on Manchester's Bridge Street

Vinnie Jones (baddie) clutching the goolies of Gazza (wayward genius). Again, terrific stuff. Marsh, Cantona, where are they?

You’d think in this day and age of micro celebrity scrutiny, there would be more revelations and scoops, not less. The only conclusion can be that they’ve all cleaned up their acts. It’s awful. Can you imagine having all that loot, so young. Would you be tucked up in bed after a soothing hot chocolate? I bloody well wouldn’t.

Written by MickyDidIt89

102 Responses to I Hate Professional Football

George Best is dead.

That’s bad news Eddie 🙂

Stan Bowles, Charlie Cooke and Frank Worthington versus Eden Hazard, Jesus Navas and Pedro.
    No contest.

Though, there’s only one way to find out.
    FIGHT.

Thanks for the rant Micky 🙂

I agree, football has lost its characters – and I suppose that is directly proportional to the increase in money in the game.

I can’t see a Stan Bowles or Rodney Marsh making it to the top in the current day behaving as they did in the ‘good ‘ol days’.

It’s really sad, but when you realise how closely the players are monitored now, how they are trained to deal with the media and how much dosh they get, I suppose it’s inevitable.

Possibly Szczesny is the Arsenal player nearest to the spirit of the 70s – and look what we did with him 😕

Nice one Micky

You could have included the ridiculous reaction of the FA in fining Wilshere for singing “What do you think of Tottenham?” in the FA cup celebrations. This to me is a sanitised step too far.

6. Herb's Army says:

You’re getting good at this ‘Friday Rant’, Micky, looks like you’ve carved out a little niche for yourself.
    Your point is very pertinent, and a microcosm of a much deeper societal issue, which of course is non-football, and not for the here and now.
    I must say though, if nothing about Arsenal gets you angry, you are a very forgiving, generous, easy-going chap.

Hi Herb

I have absolutely no intention of having a Friday niche, I can assure you, and I almost certainly agree with your view of a deeper social malaise

LB
    Funnily enough, while I like the bad boy, the character, the loopy fruit cake, I was actually a bit cheesed off with the Jack chant, for the simple reason he has so much of what is required of a future Arsenal captain, and you just can’t do that and be club captain. Agree, and enjoyed, the moment of it though 🙂

Micky 🙂 🙂 🙂

We have Shakespearean, Dickensian, and now I believe we must have a category of Diditsian. Your style is unique and gripping Micky.

I agree there is a bit too much holier than thou with modern footballers and perspective has been lost of where the line should be drawn, because they jump all over everything they do. Chezzer with a crafty fag in the shower….and the problem is? He is a goalkeeper after all and what happened in the game is irrelevant to whether he has a fag or not.

Anyway I think that I get the true hidden meaning of this post now. I believe you see yourself as a wayward George Bestesque genius Micky. Flash cars, women, and waking up in the next door neighbours skip clutching the cup for the best amateur Viola newcomers award, that you drank Bollinger out of all night at the awards ceremony the previous evening. I like that image of you Micky 🙂

Can anyone answer me a question. How long have Ozil and Sanchez got left on their current contracts?

GB – Ozil and Sanchez both on 30.06.2018

11. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Micky. 🙂

Yes, agreed. No characters! We had half a character, Patrick Vieira, but we managed to make him personal non grata. Why? Why?

And, there is another thing I hate. Too much agreement! Too much agreement in this space! Why? 🙂

Fine work Didit

Trouble with characters is that footballers vices are the same as any other young, rich, men, Shagging and drinking.

Unfortunately today moral majority do not accept anyone who may enjoy themselves in a manner which may cause offence. In other words, what I did in my youth is completely unacceptable behaviour for today’s footballer

Take the execrable John Terry. The man got caught in a relationship with the girlfriend of a team-mate. Hate to say this but I think … so what? The girls are all venal and JT is a wealthy, fit randy man – were his actions so surprising? In fact – were they so wrong?

Much as I dislike him JT is one of the few characters in the game.

A crafty cigarette. Enough to get a smack on the wrist?

Who is a character at AFC. Cazorla for sure. And Sanchez. But if you were to choose someone to spend a night out with I think the vast majority would choose Wilshere.

If this comment is nonsense it is due to two strong G&T’s. Sorry 😀

13. Red Arnie says:

“what I did in my youth is completely unacceptable behaviour for today’s footballer” 🙂

Raddy, I read your comment at 5.28 and thought what nonsense. Just literally downed 2 large G&T’s and it makes perfect sense now 🙂

The reason I asked about Ozil and Sanchez is because I have read that they are not falling over themselves to sign new contracts. Could all be paper talk of course. I do however wonder if they are not entirely convinced in the direction the club is going or the ambition we are showing to bridge a gap to the top teams in Europe?

GB

When I first heard about the Chezzer shower fag, I was impressed. I mean, like how, an umbrella?

Arnie

Do not be fooled by the youth thing, the Erik behaviour remains completely unacceptable to this day

Cup football tomorrow, can’t wait, and the timing is perfect.

Surf’s up late afternoon?

Erik

You said “Unfortunately today moral majority do not accept anyone who may enjoy themselves in a manner which may cause offence”

I don’t actually agree. Take a stroll down any inner city around 11pm on a Saturday night, and pretty much anything goes. It is, however, very different for footballers, and I do believe it has more to do with The Club’s image, and associated sponsors.

Ok, I grant you, it’s not the sixties and you can’t go around sparking up a doobie willy nilly, but nevertheless, I’m amazed more players don’t make the headlines given the cash and the media friendly phone camera snapping.

Surf is terrible, Chas. Went this time last week but not good

Why would they not sign contracts regardless of any lack of ‘the ambition we are showing to bridge a gap to the top teams in Europe’?
    We all know that footballer’s contracts are only valuable to the footballer, anyway. Ask Mathieu Flamini.
    It’s hardly like they are committing their futures to the Club if they do sign. All they would be doing is signing up for more money in the short-term, surely?

Bring back Stan Bowles who was just happy to play if his slate at William Hill’s was wiped clean. 🙂

Wasn’t it Stan Bowles who’d nip to the bookies during half time while playing for QPR?

I was trying to think of the biggest “player” who ever wore the Arsenal shirt, and remembered Alan Hudson.

Google found this:
    My favourite Alan Hudson-playboy tale is the one that goes like this: eventually, after a large number of other players had withdrawn from the England squad through injury, Revie found himself in a position that left him with no alternative (that would not get him pilloried by the News of the World), so he telephoned Hudson on a Sunday afternoon to ask him to make his way to England HQ in readiness for a midweek fixture. Hudson replied that he would not be able to manage this as, ‘there was a party going on, and that it looked like it was going to go on for quite some time.’

No question about who was AFC’s biggest player … Champagne Charlie Nicholas.

Micky. 6.05. I agree. We live in a world where hypocrisy is so prevalent that I can no longer read newspapers. In most cases footballers are amazing in their abstinence (Bendtner excepted)

There is a reason I wanted us to sign Balotelli, and it wasn’t strictly football related 🙂

The moment I heard he’d exploded a room, I thought “ello, could be doing with some of that around these parts” 🙂

26. Jeremy says:

Paul Merson?

I would love us to sign Ibrahimovic.

Jeremy

Merse was simply a boozer, along with Tone, Quinn, Parlour and so on. Not really really naughty bad 🙂

Erik
    Now tell us something we didn’t know 🙂
    It’s the ponytail isn’t it. Memories and all that 🙂

It’s called a Man Bun these days.

Gorgeous

Cheers Alex, I like a glass of milk with my class A drugs.

I know that GB is a nice chap and all but the suggestion that Ozil and Sanchez might be thinking of leaving just makes me want to — and I really want to swear here — screeeeeeemmmmm.

Where are they likely to go Spain, Italy, they have already been there, so why and more obviously who would want either back, and by that I mean who could pay them more than they are earning where they are right now.

OK, China has recently come onto the radar but are we really taking that seriously when we talk about Ozil and Sanchez?

So please tell me, why and where would they seriously be likely to go beyond THOF because I just don’t get the point of the concern about the length of Ozil and Sanchez’s contracts?

33. Shard says:

LB

ManCity. Chelsea. ManUtd.

Yeah, English clubs I know. But back when Italy was the richest league we had so many players transfer between the big clubs. I believe the same will happen in England with all the moneeyyyyzzz. Because if a player wants to leave, the club will usually sell, and when they sell, they’d want the most money, domestic rivalries be damned.

So unless Bayern want them, or Real and Barca want to get in on the act, I reckon English teams will buy and sell among each other a lot more.

Oh..and knot ear.

Özil and Sanchez could have chosen any one of those three rather than join Arsenal which raises the obvious question why didn’t they and if they didn’t then why would they now?

Ozil and Sanchez are proof that Arsenal are closing the gap on other “Top” European Clubs.

LB – who are you trying to convince? yourself? 🙂

37. Red Arnie says:

Micky. 🙂

Obviously he hid it under his shower cap. 🙂

That, or, having spent too much time in Britain he had cut off water supply from his shower. 😛

38. Red Arnie says:

why not the cannibal! I would have thought cannibalism would constitute the abyss of inappropriate behaviour

The pony-tail:

Memories – Light the corners of my mind. Misty water-coloured memories etc etc

Nope – I want Ibra because he is one of the few characters that light up the monotone world of professional footballers.

Fine rant Micky, I don’t believe the players are all saints now, and I don’t believe they were all miscreants forty/fifty years ago.

The thing is you can’t be at the top level week in week out and be a party animal these days.

On Alexis and Ozil, this is what worries me, they have two seasons to run, so has Arsene I think, we all know Arsene had a lot to do with their arrival, he will probably have a lot to do with them staying too.

Who are the three in front of the bus?

Brilliant pic.

Are they from the set of Life of Brian?

Three Wise Men?
    or Jesus with this deciples?

Good answer Exile

Great pic Chas

Erik

Eddie
    They don’t look particularly wise to me, so I’m going with Jesus x3
    🙂

Yes I know, before anyone gives me grief, they have beards, but wise ones also wear tweed. Durrr

How can they be wise? Just look at the posters – you dunderhead

micky is right, they are not too wise – the one on the left carries poster with ‘Salute to Spurs by name’?

Raddy is right, not micky 🙂

does anyone understand what special deal Cameron secured last night? Does it mean less Polaks or not?

You have a tough call on team selection today Erik. I’ll be super impressed if you hit 9 out of 11

I have a top day ahead.

I always have a top day ahead. What makes yours special?

I am not making a call on the team; some may say I lack fibre but I say it is common sense

53. Ant says:

And Bilko is at the very front, taking the piss!

54. Ant says:

,Alms for an ex-leper”
    “Ex leper?”
    “Bloody miracle”

55. Duck says:

E’s not the Messiah, e’s a very naughty boy

“Who are you calling Big Nose? Big Nose”

Dear Lord, just went to sky news to read up on Cameron deal, only to learn that Kylie is getting married to a 27 yr old English bloke, and my elder Bro. who is coming to stay this afternoon, is his godfather.

I give it five years tops 🙂

Erik
    Your teacher said you lacked fibre 🙂

Top day? Early kick off. Big Bro from Nepal coming to stay for a few days at 4pm, and Mrs Didit (aka the cavalry) returning at 5pm to relieve this battle worn single parent 🙂

Morning all

Ospina in goal is the wrong decision, hope to be proved wrong, but he’s leaving at the end of the season. As others suggest hard to pick the team for today as though we are given no chance against Barca, the fans love european nights and AW is obliged to puut out his strongest team.

Hull have one priority and that is promotion and their schedule is even more hectic than ours and Bruce has indicated he will make 9 changes from the team that played 3 days ago, so we have a game which I still regard as of major imprtance that will be between two sides who do not remotely resemble their first choice 11, yet only 4 games away from lifting the trophy.

I doubt it will be a spectacle but it surely must install huge confidence after that dramatic win over Leicester,regardless who plays.

Dirty bastard

Ahoy Crystals

I predict a goal fest

kelsey. Wait for the bloody PM

63. Ant says:

Lucky bastard

64. Ant says:

Where is the bloody pm?

65. Ant says:

Thanks Heslop BR

Is Cameron making an appearance on here then,Raddy.

Ant
    Are we on the train with our little feathered friend?

Oh jack’s return has been delayed, see I told you, he won’t play again this season,smoking stumps growth 😉 Gabriel is injured, and Chambers at 16/1 first goal ot 5/1 anytime is a good bet today.

ha ha ha

70. Ant says:

Cheer up Kelsey, it’s nearly Christmas!

I don’t celebrate Christmas 😉

72. Ant says:

What beer are we drinking this morning, I need a pic of the line up?

74. Ant says:

We think we can get 9 of the starters Micky

I had a dream that Adebayor scored the winning goal against Spurs tomorrow and then ran to the fans as he has already announced to the media.
    I like players like him, a real one club man.

The nibbles ha ha ha superb 🙂
    Can my brother borrow the hot pants for the wedding?

77. Ant says:

Ant and Duck in first class

78. Ant says:

Gold pants are available for hire as long as we see the photos

79. Ant says:

More tedious empty beer can/bottle photos..

A fine selection, I am always surprised by the variety, its never just a six pack of Stella. You guys always look like you are having a good time.

81. Ant says:

Love Lily La La..very aromatic

82. Ant says:

A bit like Kelsey LB but with optimism

83. Duck says:

Frankly I find it ultra-tedious seeing photos of empty beer cans on a train.

84. Duck says:

LB
    Are you meeting up for Barca?

85. Ant says:

Even if there is a great variety of alcoholic bev er age?

86. Ant says:

I must say seeing Asdabayor score against the Spuds would be bloody funny

87. Duck says:

Where’s the pre-match, Radders?
    I’m desperate to talk formations with GoonerB.

88. Ant says:

It would be much better to up the comment count on BR’s PM rather than this useless post but hey ho it’s nearly Christmas

Duck
    The term was dragging the site down 🙂

OK. I will publish early.

There is a New Post.

Ant, I have a feeling neither Erik or I could care less about comment counts 🙂

What does amaze me, is that you’re allowed in 1st class. Boy, how standards have plunged. Your sort just drag everything down