Euros to win the League for Arsenal

Danny Welbeck came to Arsenal from Manchester United, where he had performed a bit part role as a wide playing attacker.

Soon after his arrival, and in the absence of Olivier Giroud, Arsene played Danny through the middle, and such was the success, he was soon deployed in the same role by England Manager, Roy Hodgson. Danny’s period as Arsenal striker culminated in the sublime Henryesque goals against Galatasaray, before the returning Giroud shunted him back out wide.

Right, back to England. This same period saw the emergence of Mr Kane from “down the road”, and he in turn began to receive telephone calls from Roy.

Fast forward one season, and the Premiership has seen the meteoric rise of Vardy, who himself, now sees the opportunity of grabbing an England starting berth as we head towards this summer’s European Championships. We are now in February, and the teams sitting in the top three League positions all have potential England Euro starters in the central striker’s role.

We all saw on Sunday how understandably knackered Vardy was during the last twenty minutes, and the same fate awaits Mr Kane. Danny, on the other hand, is fit, fresh and has much to prove for both club and country.

I do feel that the freshness and speed of both Danny and Theo will give Arsenal a real edge as the legs of other teams’ defences tire, but my question for today is, will the England carrot dangled before the Welbeck nose give Arsenal the edge over the battle worn legs of Vardy and Kane?

Written by MickyDidIt89

66 Responses to Euros to win the League for Arsenal

1. Richard says:

What wellbeck being back means is we can either start him out wide or deploy him in a 4-4-2 or as Leicester game 4-1-4 formation giving opposition defenders different problems. What will win the league is us picking up more points than are rivals on the run in. Now we usually end league strong chasing down fourth let’s hope we can do the same chasing down the title.

Bloody knew this was a cracker of a post and would get them on the edge of their pews, fingers at keypads 🙂

GB
    I won’t give the silence long 🙂

Richaaaaaard…..there is life out there 🙂

I think what you’re saying is we need to win games, goals win games and Danny will be our hero

Or am I putting words and thoughts in the wrong order 🙂

I don’t think Welbeck will even make the England Squad,nor Jack. Too much of a chance for Woy but for us I would play Welbeck,Giroud and Walcott in every game and feck the defence,

That is what you wanted me to say, wasn’t it Micky 😉

World famous men’s cosmetic manufacturer Brut recently surveyed football supporters and were astounded to learn that West Ham supporters were the MOST likely to have sex in the shower at 86%! The other 14% allege they have never been to prison.(nicked from FB)

No Crystals, it wasn’t, so there 🙂

Danny has enough games left to impress Roy, and if he puts in a shift, which he will, he’ll be in peak condition for the summer, not to mentioned buoyed and confident following his epic contribution to our title winning run in 🙂

I expect Welbeck to start on the left fro England with Sterling on the right and a choice of Vardy or Kane upfront. Then there is Sicknote Sturridge who may be around.

None of them are good enough to take us to the Euro title

Thanks for making the effort Micky.

For me Welbeck is a combination of the best parts of Giroud, in his ability to hold the line, Walcott in his ability to be quick and a touch of Ozil’s close control; he will very shortly be, in my opinion, the best number 9 in the country.

As for the England stuff — I have no idea what so ever.

COYRRG

Excellent question, thank you Micky. I’d like to think that none of us have seen the best of Danny yet. He has all the physical attributes to be a top striker and as you point out, was improving every game before his injury. A striker who can do what Ollie and Theo do combined is the ultimate – let’s hope Welby can stay fit and fit the role 🙂

😀 I’ve just read LB’s comment re Welby combining the talents of TW and OG – couldn’t have put it better myself 🙂

Hey Micky great post. I agree Danny could be a deciding factor but likely won’t be unfortunately 😦

You see you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned how he was immediately shunted wide again when Ollie came back, and I don’t expect him to get the opportunity to claim the starting spot up front. In fact I don’t feel Arsene has shown any inclination to try other alternatives and develop the attack in a different way.

Arsene always defaults to Ollie as first choice even when other options are available. I have a theory about why Arsene does what he does and makes the choices in who plays where and who is first choice. My theory ( which is obviously correct 🙂 ) worries me Micky.

Ollie is very good at what he does but I stand firm on my assertion that he is the wrong type of striker for Arsenal to be developing their attack with. That is not saying I feel he is no good and doesn’t have some merit in the squad, but if it was more as an impact sub from the bench, someone to mix it up a bit, no problem as he has his talents.

He is, for me though, a very un-Arsenal type of striker, and I don’t feel it is working, and I feel we are wasting valuable development periods in sticking with it as our first choice option. Further I feel it largely wastes the world class talents of Ozil and Sanchez and doesn’t bring out the best they have to offer. I also think he has had some individually decent performances which clouds the issue of whether we should be progressing down this route.

I would love to see Welbz get that chance Micky and do feel, once up to match fitness, that he would be the better option for us. I think that potentially there is a top level striker lurking beneath the surface, and his preference at striker would be more likely to see us play better football and therefore have a stronger run in and better chance of the title.

Don’t think it will happen though and I am not sure that he can or will have the same impact as a bit part wide player.

GB

You are not alone in thinking that about Giroud; in fact, my guess would be that 99% of Arsenal supporters feel the same. I also suspect that Wenger does as well, hence the Welbeck purchase.

I hope that is the case LB, although AW has seemed reluctant to play Welbeck at CF over Giroud even before Welbeck’s injury, so part of me worries whether we are actually seeing AW’s preferred tactical set-up regardless.

I will applaud every goal we score, however it comes, if we can push on and win the title but we do seem to be lacking in the goal-scoring department, and when we do score it now seems that we are overly reliant upon a substantial amount of goals from longer balls into the box, that we either score directly from headers or from the second ball off headed knock downs.

I like that we can score this way but we seem to be more reliant on this style of opening up a defence now than from the slick, ball on the ground, open play. It just doesn’t look very Arsenal or very progressive to me, and as I say I think our recent goal-scoring prowess reflects this.

I don’t have a problem with Giroud per se. If he was the only striker in the world I would have thought the sun shone out of his back side. Sadly, there are the likes of Aguero, Suarez and even Kane that make him look poor.

I stick by my opinion that not buying a top quality striker last summer is going to cost us the title this season. As for Welbz and Theo looking fresh – yes, why wouldn’t they 🙂

Great stuff Micky

Poor old Welbz has been injured for so long that it’s easy to forget how good he was getting for club and (particularly) for country.

He had more or less nabbed the starting striker role for England as his own, but his injury has let the swamp dwelling mouth breather in in the mean time.

I suspect AW will stick with Ollie as his main striker in the Premier League and use Welbz either wide or off the bench. Danny may provide a kick up the bum for Theo as well.

I am more than happy for Kane to start for England, let the swamp dwellers increase their risk of injury.

“I don’t have a problem with Giroud per se”.

Exactly my sentiments Eddie, because sometimes I think my comments are misinterpreted as being anti Giroud, which I am not. My argument is about feeling we are not progressing and developing with a bigger slower more traditional CF. If anything my criticism is aimed at the manager not the player.

It is the same with Walcott. I am not a disciple ( as I think I may have been misconstrued as 🙂 ) of him being the best CF in the world but feel he made a decent fist of it at the end of last season and the beginning of this. Again it is less about Walcott per se, but more about how we play with a more mobile CF? The answer to me is “better”.

When you look back over games we played with a quicker striker and remember how you felt about our general play, there seems to be evidence to me of these games including by and large most of our best performances over the last 10 months or so (not exclusively granted).

Now it seems Arsene has gone on record as stating that he considers Giroud, Sanchez, Welbeck and Walcott all as his striker options. If you consider how ineffective our attack has looked since the turn of the year, my question is why hasn’t he tried one of his other options?

GB – they are anti OG 🙂

Talking of backsides being kicked, I don’t know how Giroud came across on telly this weekend but at the game he worked like a trojan, I have never seen him put in a shift like that. That’s the problem with the telly they don’t show the work that goes on away from the ball.

Anyway, my point is that Giroud doesn’t usually play like that, there must be a reason for the change and the only difference I could see was the return of Welbeck so I reckon it is not just Walcott who is feeling the heat for his first team starting berth.

Rocky, I am not convinced that Welbz had nabbed the starting strikers role at England. Also I don’t think a player generally gets a starting spot for England in a role they are not regularly performing at club level.

If AW continues, as you say, to use him as a wide player and one to come off the bench then this is exactly what Woy will use him for. If it carries over into next season then I expect the same thing again. I think he has a bit more about him than utility player or gap plugger but he will need a run of games in said position which shows the faith from the manager.

Have you ever been into a shop looking for something and realising that you are not going to find it you buy the best that is available

Well, does it really take that much of a leap of imagination to think that is exactly what Wenger did with Giroud?

If everyone on here knows that the talent of Sanchez and Ozil would be better suited to an Aguero or a Suarez I think there is a fairly good chance that Arsene Wenger feels the same.

But here’s the problem: everyone and their dog is looking for another Aguero or Suarez, City are, Man U are, Chelsea are, PSG are, and we most certainly are. so with that kind of competition what was Wenger supposed to do?

He brought someone who could very well be one of those players in the not too distant future.

Gentlemen (and Evonne) I give you Danny Welbeck.

Eddie

Giroud is alright, the problem is that someone with better close control would bring the talent of Ozil and Sanchez even more. We could and should be doing better.

Great stuff between LB and GB

Funnily enough, while you may both agree and disagree on some aspects of the Welbeck situation, there is in fact no evidence to either support, or disprove, either view. Here’s what I mean.

AW did select Danny as a striker, and did subsequently shove him wide when Ollie returned. However, perhaps he shunted him wide because Sanchez was unavailable and therefore saw Danny as the best stand-in for that role at that particular time and as such was simply fielding his best XI

What we don’t know is what AW sees as his strongest XI. One could argue we played our best football with Cog and Santi, with Sanchez, Theo and Ramsey around Mesut.

At no point have all of those been fit and available at the same time as Ollie and Danny.

Personally, I therefore agree with both LB and GB ie Danny is ultimately our best No9

Smiley faces all round 🙂

Cheers, Micky.
    I so hope Danny stays fit and uses both the League and the Euro Championships to provide motivation for him to become the best he can.

If AW was satisfied with Giroud, why would he offer €40m+ for Suarez?

Couldn’t get the Biter nor Lewandowski nor Higuian.

All of which suggests that AW is well aware of the problem but unable to sign the players who could fix it

So, in summary Erik, Arsene thinks Ollie is pants 🙂

27. Le Coq Monster says:

More like…wont pay that bit extra for the players who can fix it, Rads !.

Absolutely shocking !……shows how much richer some bastards are !.

Mrs Didit away. Half term. Blog to blog on. Three cats. One dog. Four children in house today/night. Mouths to feed. Work to do. Viola to practice. Off to wash dog after four miles of mud.

Drugs urgently required 🙂

Cockie

Definitely going to be a car worth nicking from behind that flimsy door, then. 🙂

30. Le Coq Monster says:

I know there are some on here……those that say they hate Manshafter Std and Chavs more that Totnumb, but I just need to understand how in the present climate of them bastards being a real threat to win the EPL, how can they ( Chavchester haters ) will possibly be more gutted that either Manshafter or Chavs win the EPL instead of Totnumb !……would they really rather Totnumb win the EPL rather than the other two ?………………..surely this possibility will slap you Chavchester haters into seeing the light !……………………Personally I have never been physically sick that the Chavchesters have ever won the league, but the thought of Totnumb even coming above us makes me want to throw up !………………..Chavchester haters !…………..look inside to find your true DNA !.

31. Le Coq Monster says:

To tell the truth Micky !, I dont know any one who parks their car in a garage !, it`s usually full of any other than a car, so their garage will probably stuffed out with Rembrandt`s, Stradivarius`s and Myrrh !

Single parents. Massive respect.

Well done, Micky,all those responsibilities and you still pop out a Post. Not too sure what the title means – but that works for me – if it works. 😀

Welly is OK by me, and if his knee injury is not chronic and he stays fit – he has a lot of potential.

The discussion over who plays where, usually a not so covert dig at Giro, who is not the best CF we have ever had – but he is the one we have got – and the promotion of ….. well, someone else, seems to have been going on, and on, for ever.

I can see Welly as a genuine CF who can alternate with Giro at CF, and perhaps taking over from him permanently, in time, providing he stays fit, as mentioned above.
    There is bound to be more expectations of another quality striker being acquired in the summer, but in the meantime there is another alternative chomping at the bit – I figure I have mentioned this before – but, Arsene seems to have high hopes for Iwobi, and me too, so he might be the one who will come through in the near future.

Well done, again, Micky. 🙂

Sayonara.

Was Danny injury prone at Utd?

Genuine question, as I wasn’t aware he was.

Le Coq. In recent times I have been more leaning towards anti Chav than anti Spud but your point earlier got me thinking.

You are right a Spud title this year would hurt more than a Chav title but not purely because of who one is over another. You see we have always consoled ourselves with Chav’s buying titles with obscene amounts of money that we can’t compete with.

If Spuds win the title this year they will do it as a less attractive club (from a top players perspective) with less resources, and the manager having less time in building a team to win the big prizes.

In essence it would make a mockery of our title winning squad development project, and put a final nail in the coffin with regard to all the variable reasons for us not being able to win the title 😦

I think Danny had one other mid to longer term injury Micky a few years back but I can’t swear by it. Other than that he looks a classic Arsenal player injury wise….oops that’s not good 🙂

Right offski for a bit.

37. Le Coq Monster says:

GB, Spuds winning the title will prove they have a better manager , one that can get better production from lesser players, one that can use tactics and formations with lesser players to out weigh their deficiencies !.
    Makes you wonder what a manager of his type would have done to our players. The obvious change would have been his tougher training technigues and pressing game which laughs in the face of all the “Fatigue” excusers !……….they work harder, run further and have less injuries !….work that one out !.
    No surprise to me as being a runner, at nearly 60, I run nearly twice as far as Arsenal players do in 90 mins !……..speed work and distance work make you fitter, stronger with more stamina !.

38. GoonerB – an excellent appraisal of how it would be entirely wrong for any Gooner to have even the tiniest wish that totts might win the title.

GoonerB

I reckon that with 5 goals in the 6 England games before his injury, Welbz had more or less bagged the starting striker spot.

Sorry Rocky, was off sculpturing my body for an hour or so. I would potentially agree that those performances should normally make the role his, but then (even injury aside) I think he would have lost it again if he wasn’t playing striker for club and players like Kane and Vardy were and had hit form. Purely speculative though.

Micky that’s a very good point, Roy has been very keen on Danny for quite some time, even when early Kane lovers were backing him to take the shirt Danny held on to it. Look at Danny then look at Kane, ask which one resembles a proper centre forward that can deliver a range of performances, yep that would be Danny.

Ask Manchester United fans whether they would still like him at the club, I think they would be giving a resounding yes.

Just like last season when the Ollie returned to be able to give Danny a break this season the boot is on the other foot. Hopefully we will be able to rotate the other way and give Ollie a much needed break, if anyone is close to the red zone I’d think he would be top of the list considering the shift he puts in and the not inconsiderable frame he is carrying around the pitch.

Snowing SOB 😦

What the hell is wrong with you Erik?
    8am is your more usual start time

Exile

You know the rules about talking smut at this hour, so I won’t speak football. However, “not inconsiderable frame” is funny 🙂

You speak in code again Chas 🙂

Micky. How very dare you. I rise at 6.30 (CET) most mornings

This is what happens on a football blog. One thing leads to another. Just spent 15 mins google imaging Greta Garbo

Next? 🙂

7:27 Smut

Ok, is it time for revenge? I am tired, and largely because children kept me awake.

Is now the time to do some practice on that hideously high squeaky A String?

Try some two string triads.

Love the mountaineer pics which remind me of the season I wrote about the Great Britains which was fun research.

Of course I have no idea what a two string triad is, but I have managed to avoid playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

I had to be quite firm with Frith

Try and play Danny Boy (in Welbeck time)

Firm with Frith reminded me of this (you won’t like it but what the heck)

Reddish,

Should that title be the Firth of Forth, or maybe, Forfar Five – Fife Four? 🙂

Made me mix up my ‘e’ with my ‘a’ – now that could be difficult.

I’ll have it cracked by lunch

Morning all, sorry I’ve been out of circulation this week …. has anyone got a topic for a Thursday Poll?

Rasp. I will do it