Arsène Wenger’s Greatest Sacrifice …..

Arsène Wenger is in his 20th year as manager of the Arsenal. In that time he has lived, breathed, and ‘been’ Arsenal.

His dedication has been total and unerring. He is the greatest manager the club has ever known and in common with Herbert Chapman, he has been the driving force behind massive change for the good of the club and football in general in this country.

His Arsenal obsession may even have cost him his marriage, but I’m sure if you asked him today, he would say that his passion and drive is as strong as when he first walked through the doors at Highbury in 1996. We have much to thank him for.

Arsène’s current contract expires at the end of the 2016/17 season. He is a rare commodity in the modern game – an honest, principled and dignified man. He has gone on record many times saying that he always respects his contracts.

We know his love for the club, we also know that one day he will want to hand the reins over to someone who will carry on his good work.

There are very few candidates who could zip up Arsène’s puffer jacket.

Two men, one vision

Two men …. one vision

The one name that has been repeatedly linked as a future incumbent is Pep Guardiola. For most of us he ticks all the boxes.

Pep will be leaving Bayern at the end of the season. He has stated that he would like to come to the EPL and Man City are the bookies favourites to secure his services. But if he is the principled man we believe, wouldn’t he prefer to join a club who do everything the right way, who back their manager through thick and thin, who have a rich history and who aspire to the style of football that Guardiola has championed throughout his managerial career?

Guardiola took a one year sabbatical after leaving Barca but this time it appears he wants to take on a new challenge straight away.

So Pep will be moving in the summer and Arsene, the man who respects contracts, will have another year of his current contract to fulfil.

It’s a travesty that The Invincibles fell short in Europe.  Our squad is probably a couple of years away from competing with Europe’s top three so to win the CL in the next two years is a tough call. Would Arsène deny himself one last chance to win the Champion’s League; the big one that has eluded him?

Arsène may well think he has unfinished business. He may wish to extend his contract before 2017. He owes us nothing, the choice will surely be down to him alone.

Pep may not wish to manage The Arsenal – if so, he isn’t the man we think he is ……. but what if his first choice would be to come to The Emirates?

The hypothetical question I would ask is ……. If (and it’s a big if) …. If we win the league title this season, and if Pep wanted to manage Arsenal, do you think that Arsène would/should step down a year early?

Arsène’s legacy is already cemented into the club’s history. Will his love for Arsenal extend to stepping down a year early for the natural heir apparent?

Give us your thoughts ……

Rasp

80 Responses to Arsène Wenger’s Greatest Sacrifice …..

Such a tricky question Rasp, from a personal point of view I’ve always liked Guardiola for the job when Arsene decides to call it a day.

That’s the issue/problem isn’t it, when will Arsene decide to do that, he stated long ago that he doesn’t believe in moving upstairs, and that when he retires he will not hang around to hinder the new incumbent.

If we appoint Guardiola we probably have to accept the fact that we will enter a period of instability, as like Bayern now we will be wondering who our next manager is only 2 and a half seasons into his reign. That will be anew thing for Araenal fans of any vintage.

Arsene has always acted in the best interest of the club, if Pep did indeed want the job I think Arsene would seriously consider stepping down. If Arsene thinks he has two seasons left but Guardiola is going to join another EPL club in the summer or us I think Arsene would look at it with the Board.

For me we are the best fit for Pep, but that’s probably my Arsenal tinted glasses, I am basing it on the two clubs he has managed so far and where they were when he took over, relatively experienced, the key players in the 24-28 age group.

At Chelsea or in Manchester he would be required to rebuild the team, and contrary to popular belief the world is not littered with Mullers and Messis just waiting to be signed.

Tough question Rasp, but thank you for a real thinker of a post.

Comes down to do I think Pep is the right man for the job, and whenever this successor subject rears up, I always remind myself I had never heard of Arsene before he was appointed.

Got say, I thought both Laudrup and Remie Garde were good options 🙄

So, back to Pep. Not sure why, but I don’t really warm to him, the man. However, him the manager, I guess is a good option for us to go to the next level.

Timing?

Well, if we win the league this term, then it would be a superb high note on which for Arsene to hand over.

My guess? Arsene will see out his contract.

How did I vote? I haven’t yet. I will think about this for a little while longer 🙂

Thanks GiE, that’s pretty much the way I see it. We will be exceedingly lucky to find a new manager who hangs around for 10 years let alone 20. It seems that apart from getting the tin tack, managers, like players, tend to move on for ‘a new challenge’.

Hi Micky, the growing trend is to groom an ex-player to take over = Giggs/Utd, Zidane/Real, Bilic/Wham and maybe Henry/Arsenal???

Thierry has expressed his gratitude to AW for helping him progress his career towards management.

5. RC78 says:

Excellent post, as always.

I think that if AW wins the league with AFC this season, then it will be a good idea for him to step down at AFC and either join the Board as Advisor or leave the EPL and train another team – I would love to have him in PSG but for the French League and for him, it would be great to see him come back at Monaco…

Anyways – I would only support this if we get Guardiola. Otherwise, there is no one on the market as good as he is. Ancelotti is taken, Hiddink would not fit us and neither would Mourinho.

Now if he stays – imagine this:

– Man City -> Guardiola
    – Man Utd -> Mourinho
    – Chelsea -> Hiddink or Pelligrini (?)
    – Liverpool -> Klopp
    – Arsenal -> Wenger
    – Team X -> Benitez (he is coming back to the EPL)

All top managers…

On another note – I also want him to win the Champions League with us but I am not sure we can yet compete with the BBs (Barcelona-Bayern) so if:

– we win the EPL this year; and we invest in key players next summer;
    – then he should stay and focus on Top 3 + CL Victory.??

Again – we need key players at:

– CB, LB, RB, DM, FW

We need a player that is better than BFG as a starter;
    We need two players that are at least as good (ideally better) as our Full-Backs and that would mean selling Debuchy and Gibbs but I am ok with that
    At DM, even if Elneny comes, we need a confirmed DM
    At FW, we need more goals from a FW so let us find that one player that can bring that (Lukaku and PE Aube might do)

Garay – Gaya – Coleman – Xabi Alonso – Lukaku
    30 Mln – 30 Mln – 20 Mln – 10 Mln or Free – 45 Mln = 125-135 Mln

Sell:
    PiG – Debuchy – Gibbs – Arteta, Rosicky – Cazorla – Campbell –

Loan out:
    Jenko – Chambers – Gnabry – Jeff – Fortune – Akpom – Sanogo to EPL or PL in other major leagues (ideally Jenko and Chambers in Italy, Gnabry, Jeff and Fortune in Netherlands or Germany).

Team A:
    Cech – Bellerin, Garay, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, Alonso – Ozil – Sanchez, Lukaku, Walcott

Team B:
    Ospina – Coleman, BFG, Gabs, Gaya – Eleneny, Coquelin – Wilshere – Ox, Giroud, Wellbeck

This team would allow us to compete on both home and European front. I still think that Wilshere will come good as a Box-to-Box so that it why I would play him a bit higher on the pitch

I can guarantee you that both Coleman and Gaya will push our FB to become better so it wont be a surprise to see them take the first spot within a few weeks if our current FB do not step up

Hi RC78, isn’t Simeone rumoured to be chav-bound?

7. Vijay says:

To be honest Guardiola is unstable for Arsenal Standards. We could love to have a manager who could build the club where Arsene leaves. So the next manager has to be with us minimum for 5 – 8 years. Guardiola is not the kind of guy who would love to stay at a club for years. Think again if he has not been able to stay at Barca where he had basically everything, I don’t think he will be able to stay with Arsenal for such long. Preferred candidate could be Klopp but he is with Liverpool now (but he will leave them soon, I don’t think high pressing works for long in EPL just because of the number of games we play). I don’t see any good candidate available at the moment. So I could prefer to wait until either Vieira or Henry are ready for it.

On a point Exile made

Managerial stability. Does it matter?

Thing is, Barca, Real, even clubs like Chelsea hardly have a record of long term Managers and it does not appear to harm them.

Perhaps a little freshness every three or four years is a good thing, or at least, perhaps not something to fear.

Hi Vijay
    Do you think we should risk a Vieira or Henry without them having a good few years experience in management?
    Personally, I don’t think so.

10. What a superb post rasp…a very good puzzle.

I voted with not much thought and voted that Wenger would step down if Guardiola actually said he wanted to come to Arsenal. I based that on an assumption that Arsene would want the best for the club and you can’t get much better than Pep!

With regard to longevity, I know that Pep doesn’t stay long at each club but perhaps he’s got to the age when some stability would be good, build a dynasty and see it through. There aren’t any other clubs who have kept the same manager for 20 years, just us and United.

In my heart I’d like to see Dennis or Thierry, but Micky is right, they are not yet proven as managers.

11. Guardiola to Man City is done and dusted !

12. RC78 says:

Simeone does not want to leave Atletico, officially at least.

In any case – if he leaves Atletico for Chelsea, then Pelligrini will go to Atletico.

One boss that is quite good is Jorge Jesus, Portuguese coach that has done well at Benfica and is doing well at Sporting now…

Seeing Vieira or Henry join us would be great as Head Coach but one year as the under study of AW, Ancelotti, Guardiola would not do them any harm…

Guardiola wants City, his wife says London-team…In a marriage, one person is always a 100% right and the other one is the husband so let us see if he manages to convince her to move to the North rather than superb London

RC
    Your 100% rule
    ha ha ha 🙂

14. ha ha… given the choice it’s a no brainer between London and the dirty north. I reckon Guardiola (if he comes ) will want to go with his wifes wishes…. there’s not a Harrods in Manchester or a Piebury Corner 🙂

15. Martin Wengrow…. nothing is done and dusted till the contract is signed…

16. RC78

Spoken like a true Frenchie ha ha… the (French) wife always knows best 🙂

17. By the way, I’m not normally one to speak on someone elses behalf, but Eddie has departed due to “double standards” not the ‘C’ word rage…. but she’s more than capable of saying that herself, so I’ll shut up.

NB
    When you say you’ll shut up…. 🙂

ps worryingly, I think RC’s wife is English!

Mind you, Eddie quitting is very bad news 😦

20. I won’t then Micky :- there was a time when if someone told me to shut up they’d end up in hospital…. but I’ve mellowed somewhat in my old age 🙂 so your safe ha ha

I’m safe!!!
    You told yourself to shut up, therefore you should be worried about you 🙂

22. Get back to your Viola playing… you’ve still got ten years of practice before you become any good 🙂

And you told me to quit the bloody thing and get a Ferrari.
    Then you said I was having a midlifer 🙄
    As it happens, I’ve had more midlifers than you’ve had soft drinks 🙂

Anyway, in ten years, I probably won’t be able to surf or chop down trees, so I see it as insurance against boredom

24. Micky… it’s only worth having one midlifer in your life… the rest are false alarms 🙂

Damn
    I’ve been done 🙂
    Must dash

26. Vijay says:

Micky, no I do not want to have Henry or Vieira without them proving with other clubs, that’s the reason why I said I could wait until they are ready. On Side note. Barca did try to hold on to Pep and it lead to more unstability when Vilanova sadly passed away. More over the past few managers were all internally developed with Barca DNA embedded and to focus on longevity. As with Real how many trophies do they have to show during this Roulette of Managers. For me they had a better chance to win the league this year if they could have sticked with Ancelotti. Also to have such a volatile environment you need money to buy the playersame the new manager wants. We don’t have that. Yes we have money may be to buy one high profile player every season. But unlike Real, Chelsea, Bayern or Man city.. we cannot afford to buy any player we want to. Look at what Klopp achieved with Dortmund.. it can only be achieved with longevity. We need a coach who can stay with us for a min of 5 to 8 years if not more. I won’t mind if Pep steps into our club I could welcome him and adore him like I do to anyone linked with Arsenal. But he is not my first choice. I could love to have someone with Arsenal DNA in him.

27. Magneto says:

I understand why this question has been posed, and that there is a blog to be put out.

However, the mere fact that it – the question – is being raised both here and elsewhere is a real reflection of the disposable, superficial, know the price of everything but value of nothing age in which we live.

In my view Arsene should remain as manager of the mighty Arsenal. And he should remain in post irrespective of whether we win the league/silverware this season, and irrespective of the fact that Guardiola will soon be available on the market for employment within English football.

Arsene has always said that providing he has his health, and still has his appetite for the game, then he would like to remain a football manager, which, for all intents & purposes, effectively means remaining our manager.

I am more than convinced that the Arsenal Board – with their values and vision for the club – will want to retain Arsene’s services as manager for as long as possible, and that the Board has no interest whatsoever in dumping someone who still has a great deal to offer in his current role.

So I believe that – other things being equal – Arsene will eventually sign a new contract, and think that this will be the right course of action.

28. Le Coq Monster says:

I sometimes wonder where comments disappear to !…….there must be an AA Bermuda Triangle somewhere !.

29. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks Micky.

I say yes !…..or any other manager who will spend high ridiculous amounts on strikers !.
    So away with that and lets talk proper rumours !….two today which we like !. hahaha

1) It is now believed the Gunners have table a whopping £44.7 million offer for Aubameang’s services, this according to Kike Marin, who was the first reporter to break Arsenal’s deal for Alexis Sanchez two years ago.

This morning at 10:18am, Marin took to his Twitter account and said:

‘Confirmado: @Arsenal ofrece €60 M al Borussia Dortmund por Aubameyang, primero en la Bota de Oro con 18 goles.’

And even better as we could spend even more to get him !
    2) Borussia Dortmund could be tempted if Arsenal bid £60m for star striker Pierre Emerick Aubameyang.
    Arsenal are reputed to have made an offer of £44.6m but Dortmund have refused to be drawn on reported bids with club insiders saying it would take closer to £60m to tempt a sale.

Did I not say the other day that we should not muck about and offer £60M ?…..Kelsey, give me that crystal ball, you have been pants lately !. hahaha

30. Aaron says:

1) Arsene 2) Arsene 3) Arsene
    No one could have done what Arsenal and Arsene did with the move to the new stadium- on that tight budget!

Arsenal do not need to get into the coaching merry go round-only good for the press, and we know what that is good for-Nothing but selling $h*te and destabilizing team cohesion.

If we go down the road of the Reals of the world- I am gone as a fan.
    Arsenal and the board will have totally abandoned everything they have tried to build, an Arsenal built for the long run.

Pep, pup or whatever you may wish to call him would be around for 3 years tops, and if injuries befall him good luck with that. (We all know their will be some) The teams he has took over have no budget limit and they had Messi, stacked to the gills with talent- 20 deep at least. He is not a builder or developer, think Phil Jackson, not Gregg Popovich, who in my mind is arguably the best NBA coach in history!

Arsene all day everyday, and Sundays! Till he wants to leave!

31. VCC says:

Nice one Rasp…..Fingers crossed we win the EPL this season, then I think it would be fitting for Arsene to move upstairs.

He has been absolutely fantastic for Arsenal, but I have felt he has looked tired during/after some games recently.

Being the same age as the Master, I know how life lets you know things are catching you up. You only have to ask Didit!!! and he will confirm this 🙂

It’s going to take a special man to step into Mr Wenger’s boots and Pep would fill them adequately IMO.

32. RC78 says:

Indeed – the wifey is Brit but I think it is a common global rule :-p

If we get PEA this winter – It is going to be tough for Ox, Walcott, Giroud and of course Wellbeck and Campbell…but would be a great addition to the squad. But for 45 Mln, we could also get Lukaku…so let us see

33. VCC says:

Cockie……I’m all for Wenger dipping into the vaults and spending some of Arsenal’s money, after all, I’m one of his biggest critics when it comes to his frugal ways, but, £60m is far too much to pay for the PEA.

Clubs know how much we have in the Bank which doesn’t help matters, but I wouldn’t be held to ransom.

I cannot see any other EPL club paying that sort of money for him?

Vijay, Magnet and Aaron

Wow. You all make very very good and compelling cases.

Cockie
    Don’t confuse me with the author of this well written post, or for that matter, your £’s with your €’s ie €60M = about £45M 🙂 🙂

An excellent footbally post, Rasp, thanks.

Hopefully Arsenal have been discussing succession planning with Arsene for several years now.
    I very much doubt it would be left to the sort of decision which rides on us winning a trophy.
    Pep knows he can go where he wants, when he wants……… apart from Arsenal.
    How about them doubling up for a year?

Speaking of doubling up, how’s Dennis and De Boer getting on?

Aubameyang is far too cheap at £60m, offer £70m.

Chas
    You’re being sarcy aren’t you? 🙂

Actually, talking of Aubameyang or indeed any other top striker, I would think it helps to lure them having that Terry Henry fella hanging about the training ground

I must admit it seems crazy that we all believe negotiations for player transfer fees take place in the full glare of the media.

There were plenty who suggested we could have bought Suarez if we’d offered the dippers £50m just because the press suggested that amount.
    Didn’t he go for £75m in the end?

Also we could have bought Schwarzer for an extra million.

I just don’t believe anything I read in the press – they’re all click bait merchants, including the journos on twitter.

I’m still reading ‘Invincible’ out of the member’s pack and finding it utterly fascinating.
    The team building and interaction stories are wonderful.
    People like Gilberto and Freddie talking about the special atmosphere about the whole Club. Just superb.

Great thought provoking post Rasp. I echo NB’s thoughts that just because Guardiola has managed shorter term to date it doesn’t mean that is what he has planned from now. Maybe he is looking now for a longer term project at a big club that offers opportunity to compete at the highest level but that offers stability to its managers.

If he is looking for short term management with instant gain (normally from quick high end purchases) then Man City will probably be his preferred club. If he wants a longer project with something that he can develop and grow more but still with access to top players then we may be who he wants.

I am not too sure where Martin gets his “Guardiola to Man City done and dusted” information from. Do you have inside info Martin, because from the general media reports there seem to be almost as many reports stating that we would be Guardiola’s preferred destination as there are those stating Man City?

I do believe that Pep and AW get on well as I think Pep had some time with us and Arsene when doing his coaching badges.

I am quite happy with AW having an input into his eventual replacement. He has been a master at persuading top players to come to us. Could he weave his magic as his final act to secure the right replacement for him. If Pep is the best option after AW (and he seems to tick all the right boxes for me) then I would hope that Arsene and Pep are already having dialogue.

If AW is planning on stepping down after next season but Pep was interested in us this season and we lose him to another club due to the 1 year discrepancy that would not be good planning in my mind. In this case case I would hope that AW himself has spoken to Pep about whether he wants to wait and take a year out or if he does want a new post straight away. AW has always done what he thinks is best for the club. In this case it may be that would be stepping aside a year earlier than originally planned to secure a more stable future for the club.

This could all be turned on its head however if AW doesn’t think Pep is the right man, they don’t get on famously, or he has private ambitions for a further contract extension. In that case should the board take it out of his hands anyway or has Arsene earned the right to decide this himself even if it means missing out on the right person as next custodian?

That is a difficult answer….apart from for Terry and Cockie who would say it is not bloody difficult to answer at all…. from polar opposite views of course 🙂

42. If Arsenal win the Premiership this season I think the club will extend Wenger’s contract, that is unless Arsene himself is ready to step back or has other plans. I don’t believe that he will manage another club or move “upstairs” immediately but could take up an important role for Arsenal a little further in the future.

Good post, some describe it as thought provoking which I assume means that they had to ponder on their answer but for me it only took a milli second to make my mind up and vote accordingly.

What I am about to write may not seem to be in the spirit of the post but please be assured that it is.

My question is: why on earth would Pep Guaridola choose Arsenal over Chelsea? What can we offer him that they cannot?

I know, I know, class, history, yada yada, no really, without the red and white tinted glasses why would he chose Arsenal over Chelsea?

Going further, why would he choose Chelsea over City when you consider that kind of budget that would be made available to him?

In many ways I hope he does go to Chelsea, we would soon see just how good he really is; which, in my not so humble opinion, aint as good as most people think. I still view him as one of the most over hyped managers on the planet.

This isn’t a pipe dream but for it to happen AW might stay on for another year or two.

I am not suggesting it is right or wrong but it’s feasable, Rasp.

45. Shard says:

It’s an interesting question although my answer will surprise no one. Wenger stays. Guardiola has earned the right to be the most coveted manager in the world, but Arsene Wenger has earned the right to stay at Arsenal and reap the rewards of his hard work. I don’t believe Guardiola gets us to the next level any quicker.

The idea of stability is another interesting question. I believe clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, Southampton or any of the ilk absolutely need stability if they are to progress. Clubs like Bayern, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real etc are at a level now where the stability comes from higher up than the coach (they don’t have managers) or have enough money to overcome any of the setbacks that come from a lack of stability.

I don’t believe Arsenal are at that level yet, and cutting short Wenger’s tenure would be rushing it, rather than being the logical next step in our evolution. Our club culture comes from Arsene, and it is something that we must build on for the future. Jumping at the chance to sign Guardiola would compromise that culture I feel. If the timing would be right then Guardiola would be a good candidate. As it is, we have the best candidate already in place.

As for Pep. The english league holds different challenges to the league in Spain and Bayern in Germany. Guardiola won’t have the same concentration of talent, and, just like Klopp, will need to figure out a way to deal with the physical demands of the league and cup competitions on the squad. Wherever he goes, he’ll have a very different challenge than what he’s had before. Which in fairness, is what he seemingly wants. But I don’t buy into the cult around him yet.

Besides, Guardiola came through the system at Barcelona. It wouldn’t surprise me if Wenger were to stay a few more years before Bould, Henry, Bergkamp, or even Vieira were given a chance to take over, albeit with a stronger board control. Maybe Overmars or Edu could join the board from their current clubs of Ajax and Corinthians.

Lastly, Happy Birthday George!

Thanks for reminding me, Shard.
    GIE’s video wouldn’t play this morning so I missed it. Here is the link for anyone else who couldn’t get it to work this morning.
    Great stuff. 🙂

47. Absolutely not Rasp.

It disgusts me the way Guardiolas cheeky grin makes women swoon and go all giddy, yet one look at Arsene and it’s the Jokers dad.

Yes, I want Arsene to retire, but only so he can come back a short while later and save us. I did that with my first wife. Convinced she was missing me I returned a month later only to find the locks changed and that I had been replaced by a Labrador.

I fear the day Arsene leaves, in fact, it terrifies me. Everybody leaves me Rasp. Even my clothes leg it. I am often chasing trousers down the street, which is difficult when your shoes are going the other way.

Will we ever see the likes of Arsene again? I hope so, but very much doubt it. The man has embedded himself so firmly into our history that’s it hard to conceive life without him

Of course Arsenal will go on, but I have a horrible feeling we may go through a transitional period which will make us dwell on the past and on the man who created it.

Offer £70,000,001 for Pea.

Cheers for G’s birthday wishes. Me and the wife are crashed on the sofa after s bit of a manic day.

Thanks for all your responses everyone. I’m just glad to see the blog returning to its roots. I respect everyone’s opinion and quite honestly haven’t disagreed with anything today except to say that the post was not meant to show disrespect towards Arsene in any way.

50. Le Coq Monster says:

Oops !….Sorry Rasp !…..I got caught up in dream land once I read about our rumoured offer of £45M for PEA and then thanked the obvious other big spender of other peoples money….Micky !
    Although Exiles above offer is taking the piss !. 😀

51. Le Coq Monster says:

Freddie`s coaching the U15`s !……………..lets hope he has a respectable hairstyle, one that has the aurora of authority !.

52. Le Coq Monster says:

Best thing about signing PEA is that even though he isn`t French, he probably has the most poncey French name a French ponce could have….Pierre !……it would put the current FP to shame !.

Has anyone got a rant for tomorrow?

Morning Chas
    The 6:21 pic. Did it say where it was taken?

A Man In A Suit Rides A Skateboard Down A Hill Path In Central Park, New York (1965)

If that is the PEA chappie, then mighty fine he looks in the shirt

Blimey. Thanks. Superb pic.

Crystals
    Ok, a reasonable start to the day from you 🙂

Hey kelsey, do you read tea leaves as well?

ha ha
    I’m convinced that whoever first said that slicing cucumbers and putting them on your face was taking the piss big time

Sort of like that crap Erik does with healing crystals and shit 🙄

Morning all, we must be a happy contented bunch 🙂 – no rants for today?

Chas, I need your help, I have a tricky cat problem!

Yessss
    We’re getting a daily cat vid vimoa widget thing aren’t we?

66. chas mobile says:

Rasp
    Micky’s wife is the go to girl for cat problems.

Thanks chads, a feral cat has sneaked into the house when the door was left open and I can’t catch it to turf it out 😦

here puss puss
    come on kitty kitty meow puss puss

BANG

Sure, a little clearing up the mess from a 20 bore, but the smell of cordite will clear in minutes

😆 Micky, can you lend me your shotgun then?

…. silly new post for Rant Friday …….

71. Vijay says:

Once again.. Guardiola to Man city makes more sense.. both Barca and Bayern had deep pockets and concentrated talent’s to dip into and Man City can provide that. More over I think Guardiola (also Klopp) high pressing will kill the players in EPL. Also the pace of the opponents is higher in EPL than Bundesliga or La Liga. Klopp is finding it slowly and he is going into FA cup with no center back. High pressing doesn’t work in all the games in EPL and they have to choose the tactics ‘s based on the opponent. Neither Guardiola nor Klopp has proven they have can adapt to EPL.