Arsenal cruise to win and reach Premier League summit!

Arsenal brushed a poor Aston Villa team aside to go top of the Premier League for at least 24 hours.

The train journey from Oxford to Brum was smooth with no delays and the Arsenal support were gathering in force at Birmingham New Street station. The much anticipated team line ups were announced and the fans on the train seemed relatively happy with the same team which dispatched Olympiakos in Athens midweek.

The opening minutes of the game was cagey but Theo Walcott broke free and the hapless Alan Hutton brought him down but referee said no penalty.

Arsenal fans and players were initially fuming with the decision but comment sense prevailed as as the linesman flagged for a penalty. Olivier Giroud, hero in Greece, converted the penalty calmly much to the delight of the fans despite scratching their heads at not seeing Hutton given his marching orders. The supporters were unhappy that Kevin Friend did not apply the letter of the law and send Hutton off for being the last man.

This set the tone for the rest of the the game as the Gunners got into there stride. The supporters were fantastic yet again but some section the the away support were left arguing with stewards who were constantly in the faces of the supporters telling them to sit down. The fans responding by singing “Stand up! If you hate Tottnumb” so the Arsenal fans could remain standing! The fans were very happy with what they were seeing and much praise was poured on the energetic Ramsey and many fans were stating how happy they were seeing him play centrally. One fan described Rambo as having his weetabix in the morning and that he has a fantastic engine.

Arsenal were pressing Villa who looked like they had no ideas and Joel Campbell was once again very impressive. The focused Ramsey then won the ball in midfield with a fantastic tackle which released Mesut Ozil who was through on goal who unselfishly squared the ball from Ramsey to slot home and make it 2-0. The Arsenal fans were left purring with the fans in the upper tier welcoming his return to central midfield. The fans were also discussing another assist from Ozil and convinced that he will perhaps break Thierry Henry’s assist record.

The half time interval brought much cheer as Arsenal fans were standing and off to get a drink but were sarcastically telling fans to sit down mocking the Aston Villa stewards.

The second half began and Aston Villa upped the tempo and had more of the possession but lacked cutting edge. A cross midway through was headed over the bar by Sinclair which was their only real chance of note.

Arsenal tried to hit Villa on the counter but also lacked the killer instinct to score a third goal with Chamberlain forcing Guzan into a save.

Arsenal managed the the game perfectly and stopped Villa in their tracks every time they went forward. So three points for Arsenal heading into next weeks huge game with Citeh and spreading some festive cheer amongst the Arsenal following.

UTA!!!

Written by Sir A Hussein

15 Responses to Arsenal cruise to win and reach Premier League summit!

First class write up Sir A, perfectly capturing the mood.

I do have one question: how on earth do you get tickets? If Chas and brother, with the amount of away credits they have, can’t get them, how many do you have?

2. Akhbar says:

Hi LB and thanks for your kind words. I am part of a supporters club which gets an allocation of tickets as long as I get on their coach. I also have A friend who some towns has a spare if he does not go.

I think I am getting to old for this though as I feel shattered when travelling to games once I get home. Apologies for some of the spelling errors its its because of tiredness! 🙂

3. Gunner Smith says:

I really like AR. He is fast and energetic like Sanchex.I believe Arsenal have agood chance of winning the eplthis season.There are no easy games as Bournemouth did by beating MU.
    Some of the epl refs cannot be trusted. In some games game cynical tackles with the probability of injury have gone unpunished. legitimate goals have been disallowed.
    The FA shd take stern action against such error prone guys.Then football and not footbrawl will be the winner.

4. Red Arnie says:

Very nice, SirA. 🙂 These fan perspectives from the ground are not only informative and enjoyable, but indeed priceless. Fantastic. 🙂

As I said earlier, substantial credit is due to Theo for creating the first goal. If only he can find his shooting boots soon! Rambo, on the other hand, has scored. That should give him some confidence.

We realistically need 2 goals per game. Giro gives us 1 goal on average every 90 minutes. Theo gives us 0,20, Alexis 0.40 but is now injured, so we really need the others to rise up to the occasion.

Theo gives us 0.40 assists per 90 mins and Ozil about 1 per game, plus Monreal, Rambo and co, so we should be OK.

In any case, good game and our December run continues. Onward and upwards. Oh, lest I forget, ToTL. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thanks, Sir A.
    Jingle bells, Jingle bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh what fun it must have been to see Arsenal win away!

Sir A
    Do you pay face value for the tickets?

I’ve suspected that groups control the away tickets in some part, contrary to the expectation that they are all individually purchased.
    Many of the away following seem too young to have been a part of the original away scheme membership.
    It does seem to be getting harder for us to get games we were getting easily a season or two ago.

I believe the away scheme membership is about 1500 who purchase all 19 away tickets in one chunk in effect. Though, just googling, I was surprised that Arsenal accept new registrations and renewals each season, presumably only up to that 1500 limit.

Ant and me need the Blackburns, Boltons and Wigans of the world to be back in the Prem: large allocations and less fans from London willing to travel. Birmingham now seems off limits. 😦

Big fan of Sophia Loren.

Sir A. Thank you for another fine match report.

One thing not discussed is the Theo offside goal. He was definitely level with the defenders and as such it was a legitimate and excellent goal.

Oops —- sorry …. that was a football related comment 😦

I put this up yesterday at 2.28, BR.

Erik
    You mentioned a large cash withdrawl. This makes me happy

Morning both

Got to go.
    Have a nice day.
    LB report for later and a Monday night game worth watching. 🙂

Oh God Arnie, have you come over all season of goodwill and shit?

I mean, you gave Theo a dose of credit, and I’d imagine you’re expecting a reciprocal seasonal gesture from me about Ollie.

Ok, here goes. I hereby declare I will not call him a poof or a ponce from this day forwards. I willingly concede that he has stopped the fake injury rolling about business which is what annoyed me most

I have done some scientific thinking, and concluded it’s down to his beard. Spooky that Arnie, isn’t it 🙂

ps I reserve the right to call him French if I get cross, oh, and demand a January upgrade 🙂

good, old-fashioned match report, thank you Sir A!
    One thing I miss from the reports is player rating. That always gave a solid platform for disagreements

you said “Giroud, hero in Greece”. Shall we call him GeeGee – Greek God instead of OG 🙂

Thanks for another excellent on-the-spot match report SirA.

We are spoilt by the football and the writers here on AA …..

We have a second ….New post ….