How Much Impact Can a New January Signing Have This Season?

Will we get a new toy in the January transfer window?

Who knows, probably not even Arsene.

The question I’d like to ask is ‘how much impact can a new signing make to our Premier League run-in?’.

I was thinking the other day about signings such as Ozil and Pires who both, in their first seasons, had supporters wondering if they were value for money. Of course Bobby went on to be a legitimate Arsenal great. Mesut is fast becoming the same.

We have had January signings like Arshavin who seemed to hit the ground running and helped us to a CL place when it looked in danger (the Arsenal myth generator says that he single-handedly won us qualification ). We shall conveniently forget that those few months were the peak of Andrey’s career with us.

Someone like Gabriel was also signed in January but will only prove his real worth as the seasons progress and the BFG gets sent to the glue factory.

Ian Wright is the best example of a Premier player ready to go off the shelf, as his early Arsenal goalscoring record proves. He won the golden boot in his first season scoring 29 goals, 5 of which were for Palace and memorably snatched the award from a certain Edward Sheringham ( I believe) by scoring a hat trick on the final day of the season.

If we do buy a DM, you’d imagine they will come from another league. Will they have much chance of acclimatising rapidly and playing first team football from the off? What do you think?

I doubt we’ll buy a striker with Giroud and Walcott fit and also with the prospect of Sanchez now back before the new year (not that I’d rely much on that estimate)! But if we do, do you think they would find it easier or harder to settle into the team than a DM?

Written by chas

116 Responses to How Much Impact Can a New January Signing Have This Season?

Wrighty’s last day hat-trick from 1992 – the final goal was also the last ever goal scored in the old First Division. 🙂

2. Wright’s injury time mis kick gave him the Golden boot, just ahead of Lineker.

Haha, just watched the whole video and it was obviously Gary Lineacre not Sheringham as Wrighty’s rival for the Golden Boot. Just shows what I know!

I’ll leave the error in and then the smart arses can come on and correct me.

Ooops, sorry Martin, didn’t see you there. 🙂

Hmmm, much to ponder Chas.

Which would adapt to the team quicker a striker or a DM?

Although, like you, I don’t think we are likely to buy a player for either position but I don’t think that it is impossible.

Let’s say for the sake of the hypothetical that both the Striker and the DM are world class, in this case I would say that the striker would adapt quicker as he has world class players around him such as Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla; where as, a DM wouldn’t, our defense works but it certainly is not world class and therefore it would take longer for the world class DM to take control of the situation and make it his own which is what a good DM should do.

Leave and error in there on purpose, that old chestnut. The things people do to get their hit rate up
    😉

one signing, even at a premium for me would be a replacement for Coquelin.I think we can manage without Santi, both out for 3 months.

Thanks chas. I also don’t believe we will buy a player in January.

If the injury jinx is kind to us 🙂 we won’t need one. We cannot go out and buy a better striker than Giroud at the present time. I still have high hopes for Welbeck. The DM position seems to be covered for the time being.

The loss of Santi has meant that Ramsey has shown us a slightly different way of playing from deep midfield and this has also compensated to an extent for the loss of Coquelin.

Flamini has done a decent job and is a better option than Arteta so let’s hope he can stay fit until Coquelin returns.

So all in all, I can’t see anyone coming in unless we bring in a PL player of decent quality (Wanyama?) Buying from abroad is risky as they are unlikely to bed into the EPL quickly enough to make a difference for the rest of this season.

10. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks chas !.

I shall put up my link from yesterday as it goes expertly with the post !………..Now listen knob rots, if the French aristocratic ponce Philippe Auclair say`s we are 99-100% sure of buying in January then we must be !…..this man usually knows even before Arsene knows what he is going to say !….so it must be true !…….if we don’t buy anyone in the January transfer window I will use my moobs as an instrument to facilitate a Bombay roll and give my self a pearl necklace !.

Read what Phil baby is telling you !.

Hi Chas, I believe that we will buy or loan a defensive mid to fill in for Coquelin and add some depth in a vulnerable position.

A Chas post, what a delight.

I think we will buy in January because we can jump the queue on summer transfer targets and because we need back up.

Le Coq is a fine player but we need another with Mozart, Flamini and Arteta finished at season’s end – so why not buy now?

Cheers, chaps.

The post wasn’t really about whether we’d buy in January but more about whether a new signing could have any significant influence on the current season.

I suppose that means it wasn’t written very well. 😦

Going back to my rant a couple of Friday’s back…………

It shows just how fickle fans really are when after one excellent game in the CL some of our previous “misfits” have suddenly become more than adequate and we don’t need to buy replacements. Fickle or what?

Here’s a vid for you, BR. 🙂

17. Red Arnie says:

nice one, Chas. 🙂

Actually, I agree with Kelsey. A backup for Le Coq, not the Monster, will be good. 😛

I dont think we will be active in January. But Arsene has made a confusing comment, which makes me wonder!

On the other hand, does anyone know the truth behind the rumour that we are being investigated for a previous transfer? If we are, maybe we might be very active in January. Who knows? perhaps Arsene? 😛

18. Red Arnie says:

I saw your question and I think the post puts it right. But, I dont think it will help us much in this campaign anyway. Which is a bit of a conversation dampener. 😛

Knot that I am ear, in any case. 😦

Yep, maybe you’re right, Arnie.

That’s why the responses are about who we’ll buy rather than discussing the possibility that buying someone might not make much difference at all anyway.

Silly chas. 🙂

20. Le Coq Monster says:

To answer the question for chas .

If it is players of the quality and stature of the likes of …..Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Alexis`s twin brother…..then yes !

Panic with players of the Santos, Swedish chap, Jeffers, Blockley calibre…….a resounding NO !.

If you want top quality, you have to pay top money !…………….I think the £230M in the bank would possibly buy us a decent player….maybe one of the chaps in my first sentence !.( and I don’t mean my first sentence of doing bird !……although, Shampoo and Soap Sud Simon could whip up a quality lubricating lather ! )

Cheers, Coq.
    You’ve set the bar perhaps prohibitively high there. 🙂

Even Suarez was fairly average upon first signing for the dippers.

Chas – In this article from Teamtalk it seems that Alexis is our version of “The Bionic Man” and may be available against Man City.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………..

Arsene Wenger has refused to rule Alexis Sanchez out of Arsenal’s crunch Premier League clash with Manchester City on Monday week.

The Chile forward is out of action with a hamstring problem but is due to return to training on Monday – one week before City visit the Emirates Stadium in a match which could swing the balance of an ever-changing title race.

Sanchez, 26, picked up his injury in the 1-1 draw at Norwich a fortnight ago with Wenger having to defend his decision to play the former Barcelona man after revealing his hamstring had been affecting him leading up to the game at Carrow Road.

The Gunners have seven first-team regulars out of the picture due to injuries but Sanchez is unquestionably the most valuable asset Wenger has on the shelf.

There is no way he will return in time for Sunday’s trip to bottom side Aston Villa but the Arsenal boss said, with the type of player Sanchez is, he could be involved against Manuel Pellegrini’s side on December 21.

“He is back on Sunday, he trains on Monday morning at 9.30am,” Wenger explained.

“He is running already… I sent him back to Chile, where he has been running with the physio of the national team, and we will see what kind of state he is in next week.

“He may be a bit short for City, certainly, but with Alexis you never know.”

With Sanchez sidelined this weekend, Wenger is likely to start with Theo Walcott out wide and the in-form Olivier Giroud as the main striker.

The France international scored a hat-trick in Wednesday’s 3-0 win in Olympiacos which sealed Arsenal’s place in the Champions League knock-out stages.

Sometimes labelled as a player not good enough to fire Arsenal to trophies, Giroud now has 26 goals for the calender year, with 10 in his past 12 appearances, and Wenger was full of praise for the 29-year-old.

He believes his trio of attacking players can rival the world’s best strikers and feels there is no-one better than Giroud at doing the less attractive tasks of a centre-forward.

When asked if he would rank Giroud alongside the likes of Sergio Aguero, Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema, Wenger replied: “Of course, and Walcott as well.

“We have Walcott, Sanchez, Giroud who can all scores goals. They have different styles and that is very important as well.

“I never questioned the fact he (Giroud) will be a very needed striker here. If you go on counter-attack of course he is not the kind of player that you want or select first.

“That is why when we played against Bayern I chose Walcott because you know you play more in your own half and you have to go out quickly.

“When you dominate the game and need presence in the box there is no better player than Olivier.”

Wenger was widely criticised for not signing a new striker over the summer but he reckons that, in not splashing the cash on a player who would be seen as a replacement for Giroud, he has injected some belief into a player who fired unfancied Montpellier to the French title four seasons ago.

“He is in a big club and you have to accept to be questioned,” Wenger added.

“And I believe he can live with that and is used to it now and overall I think as well I heard someone saying if he is on the market tomorrow he would find anywhere, so that show you as well the kind of striker he is. You do not find a lot (of them).”

23. Le Coq Monster says:

On the latest score front, we have currently dropped down to third !……good time and chance to blame Arsene !.

As far as a striker I think we have to look no further than Lukaku at Everton he’s only 22 and is great at putting home half chances. His goal today was his 12th of the season.

Thanks Chas

Mmmm, I think the answer to your question is a bit irrelevant. Here’s why. To compete with the best, we desperately need a worldy in both positions. No doubt whatsoever.

You rightly pointed out that some players take a while to settle in, while others don’t.

My view is buy as soon as possible, and if they are quick settlers in then great they’ll be useful this campaign, whereas if they’re slow ‘uns, then they’ll be ready for the off next term.

26. Aaron says:

Straight up- we need another striker and DM.
    Counting on Walcott to remain healthy is plain foolishness. He cant be counted to play 25+ games per season-ever!
    Ox looks like he has completely lost the plot. Maybe Campbell will finally get a chance to play 10+ games.
    Giroud has been playing well, and rest is more a factor than anything. We need DM cover as Flam ain’t lasting the whole rest of the season either. Arteta might not play for us again this year.
    Arsenal just needs to spend now or things will go pop.

27. Le Coq Monster says:

Funny you speak of Lukaku, GN5…..I was just reading about him on BBC and he seems as reliable as Giroud…who Wenger rates as one of the best in Europe, I too will add my weight behind this and say, I do rate Goroud aswell….very under rated imo and let me be honest….I didn`t have a “Jeffers” hairstyle of late and whilst I`m coming clean……….I like the away kit we wore the other night……and the dirty gold one !……so Arsene is getting something right !. hahaha

From BBC
    The best and worse of Lukaku .
    Lukaku now has 15 league and cup goals this season, seven in his last six league games and is second in the Premier League’s top scorers with 12 behind Leicester’s Jamie Vardy (14).
    His header from Deulofeu’s floated delivery displayed everything that is good about the Belgium striker.
    But Lukaku went on to spurn a host of chances as Everton failed to add to their early lead despite dominating a Norwich side that looked desperately short of confidence before the interval.

Cockie

How much would Lukaku cost? If it’s £30M+, I’m interested 🙂

GB was making tentative enquiries a few weeks ago, so there must be something about the fellow.

How surprised is Chas going to be to get back and find he has written a Post. 🙂

Anyway it shows what the Rasper knows — what an enormous mistook to think it was Ian Wright Sheringham Line Acre well someone anyway who got the boot. 🙂

RA
    Ha ha ha, very true, and Chas thought he’d been out shopping 🙂

The giveaway, Mickish, is that Chasser never makes errors of fact – whereas Rasper? well what can you say? 😀

Of course, if anyone had checked with his personal diary secretary, Eddie Stobart, she would have confirmed that lovely man Chas is out shopping as you said, to make sure he will get each of us a Xmas prezzie and personally deliver it to each one of us! 😀

Was there an element of tautology in the above? Surely not – but as Chas is out buying like there is no tomorrow, I will get away with it!

Who is GB Micky?

Watcher, Coq.

35. Peen Isss says:

Wash yer own.

36. Le Coq Monster says:

If you listen to talksport, Micky…….you will know how pissed off Andy Jacobs ( Chav) of the H&J Show is with Maureen for letting Lukaku go !.
    Jacobs whines on about how Maureen will not play Costa, rants about how could he (Maureen) not see how much better Lukaku is than Remy, Shavchenko, Falcao, Torres, the Cameroon chap and others !.
    If you think some Gooners are bad dissing Wenger, you should listen to Andy Jacobs ranting about Maureen after all the trophies he has won them since they were formed in 2004 !…..it`s funny stuff !

GoonerB-A-Camel, GN5.

I watched the Everton game Cockie and I was really impressed with Lukaku; he could have had six goals in the first half alone, but they were only half chances. The shots he took were those of an opportunist – just what we need – instead of poncing around..

39. Le Coq Monster says:

Ill wash it myself , thank you very much !…………………unless you are a Lady Penelope look a like !. hahaha

You tell him/her, Le Coqie. 🙂

Oh, Thanks RA – I wasn’t thinking about camel men, I quite stupidly, thought ii was a serious comment. Duh.

I totally agree, GN5.

I recall that when Lukaku was 17 we were heavily linked with buying him – and surprise, surprise Maureen popped in and bought him and his younger brother (don’t know what happened to him).

A very good athletic player and with our skilful players around him he would be even better. Won’t happen though.

Damn. Swansea just had an equaliser wrongly ruled out! Bloody ref.

I could, of course, be wrong GN5, but who knows the way the mind of Micky/Chas works??? 🙂

44. Le Coq Monster says:

Anyway Micky !….what`s all this settling to buy someone on the cheap for £30M ?….are you buckling under pressure ?…..I thought it was just me and you who wanted Arsene to spend the whole £230M on one player !…….are you on a diet from gluttonous spending spees of our clubs and somebody elses money ?.

Shitty 1, Sawans 1 —- Yippeee

Micky
    Yep, agree that perhaps it is irrelevant if you’re buying real quality.

Just my poor attempt at managing my own expectations, I suppose.

Bugger — Shitty 2 : Swans 1 – Boo.

Chas, that sounds like you. Where’s the prezzies? 😀

49. The Real Chas says:

Micky
    You bastard, pointing out that the post was a waste of time.

What feckin prezzies?

51. The Real Chas says:

GN5
    I’m loving this…….

You will have to ask Micky, Chas or Real Chas, or Rasper — no excuses we want prezzies — or Le Coq gets it!!

53. Le Coq Monster says:

Le Coq only gives it !……….unless it`s an oral examination, then he gets it as well !.

Twitter…..

Supporting laid bare………

55. Le Coq Monster says:

Hey chas !…….been meaning to ask you !…..I see your photo with Nottingham Gooners banner, so was you born in Nottingham ?……if so, it seems that Nottingham is a very generous City….not only did they supply us with our first kit, but like to give us supporters as well !……a nice change after years of having a robbing bastard Sheriff !

Not to mention Robbing Hood.

No, born in London.

Maybe the banner should have read Gooners Lost in Nottinghamshire. 🙂

That Little John was a big old unit.

Very un-Canadian weather this winter – today it’s 13c and green grass – very strange indeed.

Man City spawned it big-style.
    “The form of champions” – picking up the wins while playing poorly.

I’d like to know who GN5 was accusing of being fickle earlier?

The draw so far

Group A France, Albania

Group B England, Wales

Group C Germany, Northern Ireland

Group D Spain, Turkey

Group E Belgium, Republic of Ireland

Group F Portugal, Iceland

Surprising to read something sensible from the Didit keyboard. His 4.06 is comment of the day (IMO)

I agree, BR.

Group B England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia.

That’s a decent draw. We should come at least second

74. Le Coq Monster says:

Fcuk that draw, chas !……….for a moment there I thought we had drawn Wales in the Champions League !………….shame really, as they would have been a lot easier than Real, Atletico, Wolfsburg or Barca !.

I think it fair to say that ROI and NI are bolloxed

None of the bottom 5 clubs won today. Must be a relief for Chelsea

Evening all, interesting question Chas, Arshavin is perhaps the only signing in recent memory that had a positive effect, oh and Thierry’sloan spell did lift the mood round the club briefly.

If they come from the EPL I don’t see why they can’t have an instant impact, if it’s someone to support Coq going forward again they can probably have a decent impact although I’m still not sure there are many of those about.

Would a Berahino or Benteke do anything for us, Benteke doesn’t really suit Klopps style so they may be looking to deal. Berahino isn’t getting in WBA and is a tidy finisher with pace and a trick or two.

Benteke could be more like Ollie and I still believe we need two centre forwards like him.

In the midfield role I understand what Coq has brought to the side but we have had to sacrifice Santi deeper to compensate for not having an Arteta in there holding and passing.

Coq can do the passing thing but in possession he is not as good as finding the fouls or wriggling free to pass the ball on. But that’s what Santi brings.

I wouldn’t mind finding someone from within the PL who could do both.

Looking at the PL from 5th down isn interesting picture…..Palace, Watford, West Ham. Who’d have thought that at start of season.

Ah ha 2-1 Bournemoth

Rumble in the Slurpy Noodle if Utd don’t get one back soon 🙂

ps Chas, thanks for reminding me about Beijing. I forget how much I love our little yellow friend (as Peter Sellers would say)

Oh dear United didn’t enjoy their trip to the seaside…………..

The season that keeps on giving . 😆

First time I have watched United in ages — wow are they poor, really poor.

Amazing week for Bournemouth but LVG will be replaced by Pep just has to be and Arsene might soldier on for 2 or 3 years.
    in all seriosness it shows you how difficult it is to replace managers like SAF and AW.Most probably will never be seen again for longetivity of management.

My aplogies to the man who gives my head many bodies 😉 for today’s post.

My memory of recent years says Sagna, Sanchez and Vermaelen settled in from day one (practically)

And today Van Gaal asked United fans to accept the glory years are over. Do you think that was an attempt at kidology with his own players?

If so don’t think it got the response he wanted. 😀

86. Shard says:

On yesterday’s post. I love Highbury and sometimes miss it. Though I never went to a game there, I did the tour. I’ve been to the Ems a few times now, and it was the first of the 5-2 spurs game. Following that game I looked around the stadium from the top tier and to me, it finally felt like home. But the league title will probably go towards making it feel that way for most fans.

Chas,
    I think we will sign someone this January to make an impact. Like Arshavin, and all those years ago, Reyes. I think it’ll be someone we have been interested in for a while, and we’ll just bring the deal forward. Considering it’s an impact signing, I’d reckon it would be a striker/winger. But the tricky thing is they’d probably have to not be cup tied in the CL. If we can get Mahrez from Leicester, I think that would be brilliant.

Not sure what the rules are regarding players movin from a europa league club to a cl club.

I can see the logic in loan signings for the midfield if the player we want is unavailable.

Oh and the expected goals metric, despite its name, is not a predictive model.

I’ve just spent a delightful 15 minutes, or so, reading some of the Man U blogs – it’s wonderful – they are in meltdown.

89. Shard says:

GN5

One of my ManU supporting friends said that Giggs has to take over as manager now, or else there’s no chance of the top 4.

Now apart from the fact that ManU fans’ managerial candidates are now of the Ryan Giggs’ variety, it wasn’t that long ago that Arsenal were constantly criticised for our (minimum) ambition being a place in the top 4.

This year, even Mourinho of all people, has been forced to say that they can get top 4 and that would not be too bad a season. Where’s the ridicule? Especially as these clubs have spent hundreds of millions rather than our net zero spend.

I’m loving this season. My wish is for Arsenal to be champions, Ranieri and Leicester to come second, while Mourinho gets sacked in a too late effort to prevent Chelsea getting relegated, while ManU and Spurs can only manage an EL spot. It is Christmas after all. I can dream .

90. RC78 says:

I think that proven players do not need to adjust to the EPL but to the team, except for 1 position attacking midfielder. Why? Because being in the middle of the park, you see the pace and the physicality all the time – there is no end to it and you are asked to be good both offensively and defensively – which in other leagues is not necessarily the case…

Look at Sanchez – comes in and scores for fun
    Look at Ozil and Pires – come in and take time to adjust

I could argue that maybe full backs also need adjustments but for GK, CB, DM, FW/ST – there should not be a problem. As a result even if we get a DM but that DM is a proven quality player, he should be able to hit the ground running in the EPL – he may need time to adjust to the way we play but playing in the EPL should not be too difficult. If we buy a striker and he is proven, same thing – I expect him to score goals as soon as he arrives…but we do not need a striker, we need a FW/W at most…I would be happier if we went in for a DM and a CB…

If we don’t win it, it better be because Leicester have. Otherwise I’ll be peeved. Let’s be honest though, City on their day with all fit probably have the best attack….Sterling, Aguero, De Bruyne is a good three. Defensively I think we are better, Koz and Kompany are level pegging as are BFG and whoever is their second choice on the day. At left back Monreal is probably a little behind Kolarov, and Bellerin is better than Sagna.

Midfield battle, Ozil > Silva, Toure > Santi, Fernandinho = Coquelin.

The key is going to be the subs and squad options, and I actually think we are better in a lot of areas and have at least 16/17 interchangeable players.

92. RC78 says:

Look guys/girls – if we do not run away with the league this year, we will really kick ourselves as this season is really the one where all our main competitors are somehow struggling…All of them! Let us go and get this league: COYG!

93. RC78 says:

GiE – I would rather have Man City win it over us than having some stooped Leicester nicking the EPL from us…

Man City is the best squad on paper this year. Second is Chelsea and then Arsenal, Man Utd come next…

If you want a DM from the EPL that can make an instant impact – we can go for Schnederlin or Carrick from Man Utd…Otherwise Lucas Leiva from Liverpool.

94. Shard says:

By the way, any London AAer planning to watch the game at a pub tomorrow?

Absolutely brilliant.

Crystals

You’re disgusting posting that at 5:56. Disgusting and repulsive. You make me sick.

my name is Eddie and I am a numpty, I was blogging in room 101 yesterday and couldn’t understand why nobody else was laughing at Manu 🙂

The photo of orchestra is brilliant, I want it framed!!

Now Crystals,

Your 6:00 is better, but slightly worrying. Hope you have not got carried away by the midweek result. Let me give you a dose of reality, Arsene will start Ollie ahead of Theo through the middle today. He will have been conned.

All better now 🙂

Morning Eddie

As for a January signing – I think no. What’s the point, they will not be EPL ready until March and after that it’s a gamble. By then the rest of the team will be fit and the new toy would be sitting on the bench checking his fat bank balance on weekly basis. Nope, no new toys till summer.

What is even more worrying to me is the fact that we probably won’t need a new toy in July either.

hiya Fiddler 🙂 do you know if Raddy came back from him bike ride yesterday. we need a PM

Eddie

Only time will tell whether Raddy is dead or alive.
    I once asked my wife, as she knows how much time I spend on here, if she would inform you lot if I suddenly snuffed it. She said no.

Maybe Mrs Raddy takes the same view.

Eddie
    So we don’t need new signings at all, eh. So we’re as good as Bayern, Barca and Leicester now are we? 🙂

Okedoke, off to chop down a Christmas tree

I like your wife 🙂 She is a star 🙂 Crystal would tell us

I think we need new toys in the summer, but the club will have a legitimate excuse for not buying – we have an awesome team, what’s the problem?

Eddie. I am very safety conscious on the bicycle – who else will write the PM’s?

Micky makes a good point – Mrs Raddy doesn’t know how to get on the blog or even it’s name!

Raddy – great to know you are safe and remember your duties 🙂

Perhaps we should have a procedure for letting other bloggers know we are dead? Part of the will perhaps? Frankly I’d rather not know you or Micky are gone, I’d rather imagine that you found better things to do 🙂

108. Red Arnie says:

gud motning everyone. 🙂

ah, Raddy, you are safe then. Safe to write the PM, and safe from the Mrs, who cannot find out about your misadventures on AA. 🙂

109. I know that bird at 5:56am ha ha

Morning girls… and numpty princess Eddie 🙂

Matchday…. will Villa Park… the bus?
    I’ve managed to get one up on GunnersoreArse this morning… have a read before the Big Raddy gets his PM done and puts me to shame.

110. Red Arnie says:

we are gud enough to win the league. but let us buy a bench wormer, to give the camel wormer some company, and to spend some fecking money. 😆

and let us do this in January, just in case we are banned from the transfer market by the summer. 🙂

111. Was this Raddy on his bike ride?

There is ….