Bring back Highbury ……

It’s been a good week for Gooners………. great result in Greece, through to the knock out stage, literally!

But I’ve been thinking recently about the old Highbury stadium, all the times I was there, through the good and the bad, and for me Highbury will always signify the Arsenal, the greatest team in London and even greater in North London.

highbury

It got me wondering as to why the new stadium wasn’t given the same name…. why not New Highbury Emirates Stadium…. or the Emirates Highbury Stadium… or just New Highbury Stadium? Ok I know it was all to do with money and sponsorship, but a little bit of nostalgia wouldn’t have been too hard, would it?

I still say Highbury when talking of home games…. it’s been extremely difficult to say the Emirates…. I wonder if in the future they could re-think the name…. would that be possible, other stadiums have done it, haven’t they?

So my rant is bring back the great name of Highbury Stadium…. I miss it and I’m sure many others do too…..

northbank69

132 Responses to Bring back Highbury ……

1. Thanks for the little ‘o’ correction Rasp 🙂

2. eoin2211 says:

I think Highbury is Highbury and that the Emirates should ahve a new name. I would be a big advocater of Ashburton Grove as the ground’s name.

3. foreverheady says:

The Highbury Emirates.

Be good for the fans at the ground to chant it.

Highbury, Highbury
    Fortress Highbury etc

4. eoin2211

Ashburton Grove would just remind me of the scrap metal yard I used to work at, where the Emirates now stands… But obviously for others that wouldn’t have the same memories ha ha.

Foreverheady…. how are you mate, long time since I’ve seen a comment from you. 🙂

Thanks, NB.

Highbury is still chanted when the opposition ends chant at each other “we’re the North Bank/Clock End, Highbury.
    I’m thinking maybe that’s all that should remain as the new stadium is nothing like the old. Move on, me dook. 🙂

Still trying to think of a new name. The Armoury is good but has been used for the store.
    It sounds like Highbury a bit, too.
    ‘Born is the king of Armoury…..’ 🙂

P.s. I’d not heard the Fortress Highbury song before

My old season ticket space at Highbury

7. Kelsey, that’s Transplants sofa… well battered and covered in stains 🙂

I agree with you and as you know NB I am not an accountant 🙂 but word has it that the original deal with The Emirates Airline was a cheap deal for them and we didn’t negotiate that well. I am not sure if that deal has been renewed or not or if it still has a period of time to run, but regardless I can’t see the club changing sponsors now or soon as it’s not the same as kit sponsors.

9. gunnern5 says:

Morning all, and NB.

NB I knew my way round both the inside and outside of Highbury – and figured out every conceivable way to bunk in…..

Playing knock about with the other kids on Avenell Road we used the gate into the ground as our goal – still one of my (many) endearing memories of Highbury.

As a nipper I used to stand outside listening to the roars coming from inside – until the day my Grandad took me inside it was Nov 22, 1947 when we beat Huddersfield Town 2-0 – from that day on nothing could keep me out.

10. Kelsey, I’m an artist and not an accountant… that is like a foriegn language to me. The only thing I know about personal financies is get paid in cas as often as possible 🙂

GN5…. that was obviously when Highbury had a capacity of 100,000… you know, in the ‘old’ days ha ha when you could get crushed on the steal barriers when we scored and the crowd surged forward 🙂

Nice one NB and I agree. The stadium should be called New Highbury and then over time, maybe a week or two, we should revert back to what and where we all know and love.

Arsenal Football Club
    Highbury N5

OK, maybe a tiny concession to the rest of the post code but that is where the line in the sand is drawn, no more.

12. LB… for a while I lived in N5 ILQ…… Gillespie Road, just opposite the Northbank entrances.

13. I’ve just checked the address of the Emirates… it’s 75 Drayton Park, N5 1BU…. so still in N5 ha ha

NB. Thank you. The only concern I have is if Emirates decide to stop their sponsorship which is why the idea of an additional name makes sense.

So it could be The Arsenal Emirates Stadium

that way we could in future be the The Arsenal Nike Stadium etc

NB, We kept well clear of the railings, we usually stood about half way up under the clock. Both sides of my family supported the Gunners and we were well known in the area – especially my Granddad – he was one of the local characters.

16. Whilst looking up postcodes I found this… specifically for Transplant, only one good pub ha ha

Bounds Green, zone 3, postcode N11
    Transport links to LSHTM: Piccadilly Line from Bounds Green tube station direct to Russell Square.
    Plus Points: good public transport connections (tube, busses, train station Bowes Park); quiet and safe neighbourhood, very
    suburban (a pro and a con); good for cars (close to North Circular – easy to get out and about).
    Minus Points: not much going on (only one good pub), very suburban

To me Highbury is synonymous with only one thing – ARSENAL,

The two are an inseparable memory and can never be replaced the Emirates is the new era of Arsenal and it is what it is but it can never, ever become Highbury no matter what it’s named.

18. That’s a good point Radish…. but it would still be good for it to be called New Highbury…. fuck the sponsorship, as Kelsey says, it’s not been a very good deal for us, Arsenal have enough money, well until the January window…. then spend spend spend as Didit would say 🙂

19. North Bank Lew says:

Of course the official name of Highbury was The Arsenal Stadium (as in the film ‘The Arsenal Stadium Mystery’). I for one NEVER refer to our current home as ‘The Emirates’….for me it’s Ashburton Grove !! 🙂

On 5 October 2004, Emirates Airline signed a 15-year contract with Arsenal estimated at £100 million. Under the deal, the group secured naming rights to the stadium and shirt sponsorship when the club’s deal with O2 expired at the end of the 2005–06 season. The stadium name is often colloquially shortened from “Emirates Stadium” to “The Emirates”, although some supporters continue to use the former name “Ashburton Grove” or even “The Grove” for the new stadium, especially those who object to the concept of corporate sponsorship of stadium names. Due to UEFA regulations on stadium sponsors, during European matches the stadium is not officially referred to as Emirates Stadium, as Emirates are not an official sponsor of the Champions League competition; other stadia, such as the Allianz Arena in Munich, have fallen foul of this rule before. UEFA refer to the stadium as Arsenal Stadium, which was the official name of the stadium at Highbury.

In November 2012, Arsenal and Emirates officially announced a new deal worth £150 million at the Emirates Stadium. The partnership keeps Emirates as the official match and training shirt sponsor for another 5 years. The deal also grants Emirates the Ashburton Grove stadium naming rights until 2028. The deals payment terms were brought forward for potential earlier investment though the extent of this was not released.

So we are stuck with the name until 2028 when GN5 will be 124 and me who knows 🙂

21. ha ha Kelsey…. by the time that deal is finished in 2028 there will be 70 virgins plying for my Clock End and Marble Halls 🙂

or as Radish would say… Big Raddy and the twins

22. plying should have been queuing….

23. Herb's Army says:

Thanks northbank.

As I’ve said previously, I’m a traditionalist, so Highbury was my favourite.
    I never understood why they couldn’t fill the four corners in, but others on here said it wasn’t possible, because the main entrance on Avenall Road was a listed building.
    It still feels like we lost a bit of our identity when we left Highbury in 2006, though I understand the need to expand.
    Fewer and fewer clubs are now in their original stadiums, but in the PL, three of the original twelve are, Villa, Everton and West Brom. Crystal Palace, Newcastle and Norwich are too, I won’t include West Ham, or Chelsea and Tottenham, who are both looking to move. Liverpool and United won’t have to move either. I’m a little jealous of that particular legacy.
    The only place to find a Highbury stadium in the Football League now is at Fleetwood Town in League One (they wear replica Arsenal shirts too).
    I personally believe if the Government hadn’t got it so wrong on the Hillsborough tragedy, most clubs would still be in their original grounds.

nonsence, give me £100mil and you can call me whatever you like

Also, I know you have lost of fond memories, but let’s face it – the place was a shithole.Have you ever been to the ladies at Highbury? No, I went once , maybe twice and then i’d rather piss my pants then venture there again.

Now stop it, we have a lovely new stadium, with a cool name the Ems and that’s it. Get over it

Fooking snow storm here

herb – I wrote my comment without reading yours, please don’t think I replied to you, I haven’t, just a funny coincidence 🙂

26. Any ideas on what we should call Eddie?

NB 3.37. Marm?

BTW. It is Micky who is the father of twins

28. RC78 says:

+1 for the rant

Highbury rhymes with history and success where Emirates still need to earn these two connotations…Maybe in 10 years? Who knows?

For the time being, bring back HB!

29. Raddy, when you mentioned your twins I wasn’t thinking children 🙂

NB. It was RA who thought the saucepans were mine.

I understood the meat and veg allusion

31. Eddie… Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Ruda Slaska 🙂

I was a bit peturbed at impersonationgate this morning.
    Only a moron (and kelsey) would have thought my lame effort at impersonating a master of the keyboard was genuine.

Oh well, bang goes that avenue of fun.

33. ha ha Raddy…. so does Chas 🙂

That’s you on a tree hugging voyage

perturbed – damn spell check

I still might slip one in occasionally just to keep you all on your toes. 🙂

38. Le Coq Monster says:

Thanks `69er.

I might be wrong but I`m sure on CL nights the Ems has to be called The Arsenal Stadium on TV…..something to do with advertising I think .
    Loved Highbury, but that first view of the pitch from high up at the Ems took my breath away !.

I like it to be called Arsene Hell !……and the Spuds new ground …..The Theatre of Screams !.

39. Le Coq Monster says:

40. Le Coq Monster says:

Read my post cockie about CL games and names.

43. Big Raddy can do this with his twins

44. Le Coq Monster says:

Sorry Kelsey !…… my mind was trying to right something about Spermbanks post, but got distracted by chas`s tree formations !. 🙂

45. Le Coq Monster says:

She seems to be enjoying it a bit more than she needs too !.

Raddy,

I thought like the Pied Piper you had taken Mickish’s twins as compensation for the fish he still has not paid you for his debt.

Awful Viking justice! 😀

Chas,

Your Diary Secretary, Eddie, said you were too busy today, tomorrow and forever doing stuff so you could not dig out the cute orang-utan laughing at a magic trick, for me – and there you are playing around with vids of willies.

You and Le Cockie are well matched – not necessarily in willies but vids. 😀

48. Herb's Army says:

No problem Eddie.
    Whenever I went to Highbury it was always in the North Bank, and it was always standing room only. The only downside back then was filing out after the game and joining the queue for the Arsenal Tube station.
    I’m sure the comfort and facilities at The Emirates are second to none, but in terms of creating football folklore and legend, it has a lot of catching up to do to earn the same status that Highbury holds in the affection of many Arsenal fans.
    A Premier League title would help that cause though, and once The Emirates starts to create its own magical legacy, fans will warm to it a lot more.
    Partly it’s a generational thing too, The Emirates still feels quite new, and many bloggers on here have fond memories of Highbury, just as the new generation are waiting for their own to manifest at the new stadium. Only the passing of time will resolve this.

49. Herb's Army says:

Hi RA

I hope you’re feeling well, and your health has taken a turn for the better.

Thanks, Herb, that is kind of you – much appreciated. 😀

It is not too good at the moment – and I am still being monitored.

51. Herb's Army says:

Oh dear, I’m sorry to hear that.
    I know it’s been going on since I started blogging here, RA, I hope they find the problem and you get well soon.

52. Le Coq Monster says:

Well if we believe Philippe Auclair…….. then a DM is nearly done and dusted !

53. Le Coq Monster says:

Yes Redders, all the best my friend !.

I must admit……it is one of my fantasies to kidnap Herb and take him to a Emirates game and have him gagged and straightjacketed just behind Arsene`s technical area !.

54. Herb's Army says:

Thanks Cockie

Merry Christmas to you too 🙂

55. Le Coq Monster says:

It wasn`t meant to be a Christmas present, Herb !…….alright then !….I`ll climb down your chimney dressed as Santa with the chloroform !.. 😆

RA
    Rasp posted the Orangutan video.
    I was just being polite.

I got told off by a German girl at work the other day, because instead of telling her she’d fucked up, I was polite about it, which she couldn’t understand.

She said that the main difference between English and virtually any other language was the massive vocabulary.
    She also said that Germans were often misconstrued as rude and direct because their language was also more direct.

Evening all, amino there’d by the new stadium name? Not really. We needed the name to finance it, the shirt and stadium deal in 2004 as Kelsey refers to, however I thought it was a 5 or 10 year deal, hence the renegotiation a couple of seasons back. That deal and the Nike deal were cash up front as the bank funding for building the stadium dried up and we need edit from somewhere, hence why neither deal was particularly great in terms of the bigger number and whilst the revenue was split in our accounts over those seasons the cash had already been banked and spent.

There is not a great deal to be earned from stadium naming rights but if it sweetens the pot to an investor and allows us to pay off the rest of our stadium debt with less impact on playing side then I can’t see an issue.

A lot of other grounds have reverted back to a no sponsored name once the clubs have have made use of the extra funds to pay for the build.

Herb it wasn’t just the Marble Halls that were listed, both East and West stands still remain in their former glory (on the outside).

As they were both listed there would have always been a gap between those stands and the North Bank and Clock End as we would not have been allowed to touch the glass ends of either of the stands.

Add to that that neither East or West were cantilever and hence we had several viewing points with an interrupted view.

Saying that I’m all for the stadium being called the grove when sponsorship ends.

GIE
    Completely agree about the funding deal.
    If there had been more on offer at the table at a time of acute need for funding, would we have turned it down?
    Of course not.

All of these other clubs who are going to build new grounds have no idea what it takes.

Also, as regards original grounds, Villa and Everton are complete shitholes. West Brom is only the same stadium in name only. Same site, nothing remaining of the original.

Villa in the top tier reminded me a bit of upper tier West Stand Highbury so I had a quaint fondness for it. 🙂

What made Highbury so, so special was those art deco East and West Stands. If they’d been allowed to replace them with a ‘bowl’, it wouldn’t have been Highbury anymore.

Keeper should have had that covered.

62. fred1266 says:

Rasp I ask the same question today, went the Stadium tour and after I took a walk to see where the old stadium was and why didn’t the name it Highbury

63. Terry Mancini says:

Nice 69. Good stuff mate

Highbury is home, stuff that Emirates joint. Let the younger generations and men whose mums cut there hair into a bowl like it. Course, after the game, bowl head will have his pocket money nicked and forced to do something unseemly by the bully with the abnormal bulge, but I wouldn’t know anything about that.

Not surprised you favour Highbury 69. With your pissed up antics it’s one of the only places you could urinate down another mans trousers and not get nicked. Those Emirates bogs are crap. I’ve never seen one geezer come out of those whose trousers looked multi shaded.

I loved the atmosphere of the old Highbury. Use to stand in the clock end and when we scored the bundles of grown men hugging and groping each other was brilliant

In fact, I use to enjoy it so much I would try hugging and groping the bloke next to me when we won a throw, but had to stop after getting a kicking and accused of possessing Abba tickets. There was one geezer who used to reciprocate. Later on I found out he knew Marc Almond

Yeah, so many great memories and stained trousers. Highbury for me.

Stained trousers 🙂 agh the good old days.

Although it’s probably only the amount of security that prevents blokes peeing on the concourse at the Emirates, the queues for the toilets are still long, although I often find its because a lot of men seem to like privacy and are queueing for the few cubicles. Having said that I normally go at the end of half time these days when the queues have generally died down.

The redeveloped North Bank was good from memory. And it was an imposing stand at that end of the ground, unlike the all seater Clock End.

But there’s another reason for redevelopment, we only had boxes at one end of the ground, we now have the Corporate noose as Chas named it, but it brings in as much revenue as the rest of the seats combined, that was never the case at Highbury.

I actually liked Goodison because of its old fashioned wooden seats and stand, but place would easily be a death trap in event of an emergency evacuation.

65. Chas says:

Hey Didit

When I said yesterday that I was “a bit perturbed at impersonationgate” and that only a moron could misunderstand, I now think that on reflection you may have a point as there are one or two morons.

On a separate note, I followed up by saying “I still might slip one in occasionally” and to clarify, I did not intend to give the impression the act would be non-consensual, like if I saw so so and so bending over I would sneek up and ………………….

Morning Chas

We’re not playing today. Booo with knobs on

Micky,

I am surprised that you did not bring the Chasser to task for saying;

— “the act would be non-consensual, like if I saw so so and so bending over I would sneek up and ………………….”

That boy is soooooo naughty! 🙂

Agree RA
    Filthy

Micky,

Now I would like to know who “so so” is and also the singularly named “so” too. 🙂

Did you get the twins back from the Viking? 🙂

Sorry NB
    Have not thanked you for post.
    My feelings on the Emirates are known, and they are firm
    Comfortable but hideously vulgar. Ideal for the 21st century supporter 🙂

what??!! “hideously vulgar”?! it is a football stadium, not a cottswold cottage with a garden.

72. Mike yarwood says:

Morning everybody 🙂

GIE
    I call it the corporate noose but didn’t originally think of the expression.

I’ve no idea who posted as me earlier but I must say I liked it.
    Perhaps I won’t have to get up early anymore!

P.s. what’s ‘consensual’?

74. Mike Yarwood 111 says:

Hello Mike. 🙂

75. Mike Yarwood 111 says:

Consensual? I’ll ask Mike to answer that, Micky.

Consensual is when she, or he, stays still long enough

Can you guys stop dicking about, I’m getting confused.

micky you is so mad 🙂

do you not mind is the still object is a he or a she ?

nothing worth watching today, maybe Bournemouth v Mancs? Could be funny

Eddie
    Equality is my middle name
    Poofs have rights as well you know

As someone pointed out, a lot of those big chances against came against Bayern.
    Pfffft, statistics,

kitten oooohh, that is sweet 🙂

micky, please stop, I am feeling very down lately. I mustn’t laugh

Wenger said that Ramsey’s “expected goal ratio” is excellent. What the f. does that mean? one goal per 3 months?

Sorry to hear that Eddie
    ps liked the Cotswold line 🙂

but you didn’t say what exactly do you find hideous at the Ems?

88. Morning tree huggers 🙂

Sorry to hear that you are feeling down Eddie…. cheer up mate, there’s a lot to be positive about.

Chas, I’ve got no fucking idea what that Goal map is meant to mean?

89. Not so sure about Ashburton Grove or just ‘The Grove’ for a new name…. they are just so ordinary, like Maine Road, or Vicarage Lane or White Hart Lane….. we are the Arsenal, we need better than that 🙂

Likewise, NB 🙂

Completely agree with all of that NB, but would you leave that kind of decision to the aesthetically challenged tossers who thought adorning the new stadium with giant posters blu-tacked to the side would be a good idea?

92. Micky, perhaps consulting the fans would be a good idea…. put it to a vote. I’d go with New Highbury, no sponsorship bollocks… no confusion during CL games…. I could live with a name chosen by the fans.

chas @ 9:43 – you must be flipping joking! This is just some twats trying to make footy more scientific. I am surprised Wenger is using the term. “Expected goal ratio” ha ha ha

Dear God and all that’s Holy
    What a load of shit

Whoa, hold up
    My comment was before seeing the bottom pic
    Much better

“Consult the fans”!!!!!!!

On important matters??? Jesus. 🙂

Here’s an expected goals map of the Ars v Tott game.

Translated into a pitch graphic

98. ha ha micky…. I knew that would get a reaction.

NB
    By a massive majority, the fans would vote for the first pic and the posters
    Would remind them of their bedroom in Mummy’s home 🙄

100. Whats that graphic saying then Chas? That we should have won by 1.91 goals to 1.26 🙂

Eddie
    As we all know, it’s a random game full of chance,
    The stats are just there to try to make sense of it.

People like Wenger are taking notice simply because they are finding better and better correlations.

I suppose, in a way, Arsene’s style of football has always been about creating the optimum goalscoring chance, so you can see why he’d approve.

102. This is Wengers planning for the next game…. all scientific stuff to getb more goals

Yes, NB.
    As we didn’t get to 2 (1.91) , 1-1 was the expected result from the XG model. 🙂

Is that a Miro?

105. We’re the big filled in bits, and the opposition are the little filled in bits………. all makes sense to me 🙂

106. No Chas, it was a Biro

A biro 🙂

Wish I was tech savvy enough to put up some pic without using twatter

What about The Holloway Hyperdome?

108. Morning BR…. how are the twins this fine morning?

I bet you enjoyed all the tree pics….. 🙂

109. I forgot to say good morning to Jej Wasza Wysokość 🙂

The Islington Eyesore?

111. The Holloway Hell Hole

112. The Silent Stan Stadium

113. The bar beckons…… nearly 12, and the sun is shining…. 21c today, lovely Jubbly.

The Highbury Corner ?

The Testament to Corporate Greed Arena

How about The Roller Coaster of Dreams?

The name of the stadium is up for renewal in 5-6 years. By then there will be no doubt what it should be called – Arsene Wenger’s stadium, don’t you think?

Sun is shining 4C. Time to get out cycling

Raddy – NO!!!
    we need a PM for tomorrow! If you are as graceful as the Fiddler from Cornwall, we won’t have your masterpieces to enjoy! Take a bus tour

119. Red Arnie says:

Lovely post, NorthBank. 🙂 and great comments all round. once again, I have missed all teh fun. 😦

Anyway, for whatever it is worth. I miss Highbury. I wish we stayed on the same pitch, were able to expand the stadium around it, but alas. 😦

The Ems is no Highbury, so I would not like it called Highbury Reborn or Reincarnated or some such. The Ems is relatively new. we as fans still do not have sufficient shared memory of the place. But it is building up. At some point it will become part of our skin, at the same time all debts will have been paid off, so we can name it whatever fecking we want. Ashburton Grove sounds a fair enough bet to me.

There is a new post………………..