American style English Football League?

About a week ago, Rasp made a comment about some American sport or other, and their League of no promotion or relegation. When I read it, I thought we could eek out a wee talkie for an hour or two, before naturally reverting to type.

Here’s my plan………

Number One, we shrink our league to 18 Teams. So, how to select the 18 permanent members of this elite league?

I like a local derby, so we must have pairs of sworn enemies. We must have regional representation, because that adds spice and diversity ie more hatred and stereotyping which I also like.

In line with the representation theme, it seems fair that London gets four sides, and the Midland area three, so let’s get choosing.

Man Utd    Man City

Liverpool     Everton

Newcastle    Sunderland

Villa    Wolves   West Brom

Arsenal   Spurs   Chelsea   West Ham

Southampton    Brighton

Bristol    Swansea

Norwich    Ipswich

Now the questions:

1. Would this help the quality of football with no fear of relegation?
  2. Would it help develop better regional academies?
  3. Would the elitest nature help or harm football in general?
  4. Would four fewer league games help the national team ?
  5.  Who would be in your 18, as some big clubs will miss the cut?
  6. Should Spurs be included ahead of Barnet?

There are 19 Teams above, the bit I can’t decide is which to drop, can you?

As I said, I’m not sure which American sport Rasp was referring to, but whether it was American Football, Rounders for Men or Netball for Men, the Americans are the best in the world 🙂

So, wha’ do ya reckon?

Written by mickydidit89

111 Responses to American style English Football League?

1. PV4 says:

What an insult to Barnet!

That is a very fair point PV4

Leaving out the two Sheffield clubs hurt a little

3. ‘morning all,

An amusing little post, thanks you Micky. 😀

To be serious for just a moment.

Reducing the Premiership to eighteen teams would allow for a mid-winter break which, providing clubs don’t use the time for moneymaking oversees games, would give players a breather, this in turn may improve the chances of English players being fit enough to take part in summer tournaments.

Whether this will make any difference whatsoever to England’s chances of actually winning such a competition is open to question.

As to the question of local derbies, a more interesting and entertaining option would be for Norwich City to play not Ipswich Town, but Norwich City reserves.

Thanks Micky, I’m flattered to have tickled that furtive imagination of yours 🙂

The franchise system I alluded to was American football, although there are others on here much better qualified to comment on that subject.

I’d actually reduce the EPL to 16 teams so that the better clubs would have a chance of competing in Europe.

As far as promotion and relegation goes, there are plusses and minuses.

No R or P would remove some of the competitive edge and since the all action combative style is the USP of EPL football, that could lead to the TV deals being less lucrative, and since the whole thing is about money, I can’t see it happening.

Maybe a compromise and reduce the EPL to 18 teams and only have 2 up and 2 down would provide more stability and as we know to our cost, player fatigue would be reduced with 4 fewer games to play and that can only be a good thing.

Incidentally, I think the scrapping of reserve games has had a big impact on squad management. Most of the players who were on the periphery of the first team squad would get their match fitness from reserve games, now we have to send them out on loan to gain experience.

This is not good. It means the players aren’t available if we need to bring them in to reinforce the first team squad and also they are not playing under the manager’s nose where he can see for himself how they are progressing.

I read that Akpom is getting pelters from the hull fans after yesterday’s CC game apparently for not trying hard enough? He is certainly one I wouldn’t mind seeing on the bench for us.

Thanks Rasp

Thing is, under a no R&P system, would the gap within it between top and bottom get bigger or smaller?

The smaller ones would at least be able to tell their sponsors they would be playing the big boys every season for ever 🙂

7. RC78 says:

I am all against such a grouping.

However, I am not against a play-off tournament (like a World Cup group stage format) for the top 4 teams…This would add spice 🙂

6 games extra so if you come to a league of 18 – it is only 2 extra games…and you can them exempt the Top 4 of an extra round in the League Cup….to compensate

Rasp I said the very same thing yesterday or the day before re reserve games, the old Combination League, as now as you say we send players out on loan though most of them never establish themselves as first teamers and that leaves us with kids as back up in a scenario that we are now facing..

9. Herb's Army says:

Hi Micky

No other sport in the world has been tinkered with and tweaked quite as much as football, which makes anything possible.
    I’m not a big fan of re-branding for re-branding sake, I’m a bit traditionalist.
    If you take away promotion and relegation, it kills stone-dead the dreams of millions of football fans in this country and football becomes even more elitist.
    If anything has to change, I’d go with 18 clubs, two up, two relegated, with a mid-winter break in January.
    Part of me does fear that English football will become too ‘Americanised’, particularly with the growing number of American owners and investors (I admit, it is one of my main sources of grief concerning Arsenal), if it was to go down that route I would switch-off and tune out.

10. RC78 says:

On the other front –

Now the need for an extra CB, DM and FW (like suggested during the transfer window) has become clear to see…

CB – Get a confirmed player that can replace BFG easily
    DM – Get a confirmed player that can emulate Coquelin and improve him
    FW – Get an exciting player that can play off the wings and still score goals and create assists

Garay, Bender and Meertens come to my mind…

Cech – Bell, Garay, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, Bender – Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez – Walcott

Osp – Debs, BFG, Gabs, Gibbs – Wilshere, Coquelin – Ox, Wellbeck, Meertens – Giroud

Hi Kelsey, sorry, I was away from my desk.

I agree, it splits the squad in a way that weakens our options at times like this.

I don’t get the impression that the clubs are that bothered, maybe because it takes the burden off their coaching resources etc?

GiE will know for sure, but I believe we are allowed to play some senior players in the U21s (3 maybe?). Also we don’t know what the contract for the players out on loan says regarding recalling them.

12. Rasp, there must be something seriously wrong with any loan contract that does not allow for loanees to be recalled, particularly if we are contributing to that loanee’s wages.

Fair point NG. Having said that, it is rare that we recall a loanee.

14. Desperate times require desperate measures.

Was Coquelin recalled last season, or had his loan spell come to an end?

16. JM says:

@Rasp, 1:10 pm,

Coquelin was recalled, a couple of weeks, early from his original loan (which had been for 1 month, early Nov to end Dec 2014).

This season, we might be able to recall only Zelalem (currently at Glasgow Rangers) early. His stint will end on 3rd Jan 2016.
    Much also depends on the terms in his loan contract.

=======

Temporarily, we might have to lock down our right flank with the combination of Debuchy(RB) and Bellerin(RM/RW) until more regulars return from their various fitness issues.

i.e. front 4 of Giroud, Ozil at AM, Bellerin and Campbell with pace and directness in supporting Giroud; centre mids – Flamini & Ramsey; Debuchy, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Monreal & Cech – the back 5; Chambers providing backup to the CBs & DM position.

Returning players: The Ox, Gibbs & Koscielny should have sufficiently recovered from their injuries before participating/starting matches.

17. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Micky,
    My line of thought is we increase squad sizes so we can play right through the year, More players more games and more money. When the sun shines its lovely watching a game of football, sod the tennis and cricket and crown green bowling, a good old game of football every week.

I used to have to work every week, right through my working life sure we had holidays and sickies but were expected to turn up and do a full shift.

A bigger squad would allow for more teams in the premier,, how pleased would that make all the lower leagues, thinking that the big money is coming closer and closer.

Make the smaller clubs have to have a 50,000 seater stadium if they want premier league football make sure they all have massive debts so we stand more chance. The Premier league, the only league where you get football every week of the year, sponsors would love that, money would flow in and enable our injured to be nearly permanent, we could throw in a couple more worthless cups, just to keep the number of games up,and keep the supporters happy if we had a big enough entry we could play for two league championships, change the rules so women can play as long as they all use the same changing rooms, and do away with the offside rule, no one understands it anyway.

No referee’s let the pundits decide, if we can’t fill the stadiums give away tickets on tv, they can afford it, and let our friends from overseas sit in the front row, as they have had it hard.

Football is just a game, change the rules all of them change the players all of them change how often we play and F–k the game right up.

Hi Steve, I don’t know who you are angry with/at, but I do think in the interest of blog camaraderie perhaps you should lighten up a bit. Not everyone will be used to your writing style and know how to take your comments – which I assume would not be at face value?

19. Le Coq Monster says:

Never going to happen, although I like the idea of 18 EPL teams and so do a lot of prominent people in the game . However, if it did happen, then it should be done fairly and the only fair way to do it would be to make the 18 team division made up of the teams who have won the top title the most…..here they are !……trouble is, 5 teams are tied on only 2 titles and that makes 19 !…..so the fairest way to drop one of these teams for a 18 team division is to do it alphabetically !…..and that is a sad goodbye to our vitamin D deficient neighbours !.

Manchester United 20 Titles

Portsmouth 2
    ………………………………………………………………….
    Spuds 2
    RELEGATED FOREVER !.

20. Terry Mancini says:

Cheers Micky

I would like to see the league go down to 16. More chance of Totnumb getting relegated

Less games should increase the quality and help ease injuries. And of course, put Totnumb under pressure.

This mornings comments made me laugh. What a bunch of miserable old gits. Hope you ain’t like that with your wives? If you are, the first thing I would do coming home is check the wardrobe. You might find me looking back at you. hahaha

congratulations to Gary Neville on his new appointement! I am sure he will do well and come back to manage the English team. Top bloke

On talksport radio they said that Valencia are the Arsernal of la Liga. What??!! I thought we were the Barcelona of Spain. So the hell are EPL equivalent of RM and Barca ?

22. Terry Mancini says:

Hahaha, knew you would think about the bastards been relegated Cornwall

23. Le Coq Monster says:

Whilst you`re there, Stretch……iron my shirts !.

Valencia also last won the league in 2004 !.

24. Le Coq Monster says:

One of the many things we have in common, Stretch, is our hatred of Totnumb !
    I meet a lot of people in my job and most men will ask….” What team do you support ? “……I reply….” I hate Totnumb ! “

Micky,

Interesting thoughts.

Here’s just a quick overview of North American Sports.

A) National Basketball Association (NBA).
    2 Conferences – Eastern and Western both consisting of 3 divisions with 5 teams in each.

B) National Hockey League (NHL)
    2 Conferences – Eastern consisting of 2 divisions with 8 teams in each. Western consisting of 2 divisions with 7 teams in each.

C) Major League Baseball (MLB)
    2 Leagues – American & National both consisting of 3 divisions with 5 teams in each.

D) National Football League (NFL)
    2 Conferences American & National both consisting of 4 divisions with 4 teams in each.

Being a sports nut I get to watch all 4 on TV and I’m able to attend live games in each of the 4 sports.

None of the 4 have any promotion or relegation in place although they all reorganize teams within Conference/divisions on a periodic basis.

The leagues are basically set up on a regional basis to encourage rivalry between the teams.

They all have both inter-divisional and inter-conference games.

They all seem to operate on a draft system whereby teams that had the poorest record get the highest pick in the following years draft of new players – teams can also trade their picks.

That’s just a rough overview but it may not be 100% factual as rules my vary between each of the sports – and I’m not an expert.

Rasp
    Could be my fault that Steve is angry, because I did say this morning I preferred him angry, although I did smiley face him

Steve
    Once again… 🙂

GN5
    Thanks for that. Genuinely interesting, and although I think the idea behind my post is totally rubbish, it is interesting to compare systems

The draft system is quite good, as it keeps talent local

I suppose the tricky thing about any comparison is the geographical size difference, and little Hank Jr would probably be homesick if shunted the equivalent distance from Barca to London 🙂

28. VCC says:

Cockie. 2:41….brace yourself sunshine. This may be the year they end up above us. 😦

Steve

Let me correct you.Crown green Bowls is played only competively in the north of England, the game I played for over 30 years is Lawn Bowls and a very skillful game, cocky will testify to that.
    Secondly both my youngest played county tennis to the highest level in fact both represented Surrey which is a pretty big county and I played bowls for both Middlesex and Surrey and was in the Spanish squad, so kindly don’t just dismiss other sports in one sentence.

Micky

I think I would agree on 18 teams, two up and two down and a winter break as I think generally we play too much football in this country.
    I have said before that if a team is in the CL and get knocked out that should be it, not join a secondary competition halfway through.

I also think the Carling Cup should be revamped but all the things I have suggested won’t happen as it’s all about money.TV money is greater then ever and this parachute payment for the privilaege of getting relegated is also crazy.

The ever number of new owners should be far more regulated so that they deem to be proper and solvent individuals as has been already proved.

So it’s all your fault Micky …. AGAIN 🙄 😀

It’s amazing how much difference a colon and a bracket can make to a comment 😕

I have long thought that the PL has too many teams. 18 is enough.

Under no circs should the R & P be scrapped. but an expanded play-offs to include the bottom 3 from the PL and top 3 of the FL could work and be exciting.

Won’t happen because there is too much money at play

The only way to improve the national team is to limit the number of foreign players in the PL thus allowing English players to work with the best trainers and gain top level experience

But an excellent post. Thank you Micky

Yes Rasp, AGAIN. Although in fairness, I am getting better as last time it was an entire nation I upset, now it’s just the site optimists, and they don’t matter 🙂

34. Or Radish, send the best young players abroad where they might well come under the influence of the best coaches whilst widening their experience of life outside their cosy home environment.

How about we send the fans abroad? 🙂

I thought it was about some American sport, which I don’t care or understand so I decided to give It a miss. Thank God I am bored and read that little classic of fiction.

Nope, it would serve no purpose whatsoever. 4 less games is not a big deal and Arsenal would still manage 51 injuries in 3 months, regional hatred is great, but having a couple of lesser teams which are likely to cause upset will not lead to more acts of violence. English team I care little about, relegation is a good invention, keeps the air circulating at the bottom..

And worse of all there will be even less footy to watch on dreadful Wednesday night. Silly idea if you ask me 🙂

One of the better aspects pf North American sports is that due to the conference/divisional structure you get multiple champions each year.

1) Divisional winners based on the seasons results.
    2) Conference/League playoffs of divisional winners to crown a winner in each of the regional group’s.
    3) Playoffs of group winners to determine a National Champion.

So it keeps local interest going after the local divisional had completed their seasons and then of course the National Finals are immense.

Major League Soccer also has a similar league and playoff structure as the 4 major sports.

I’m used to both the North American sports and football structures and frankly it makes sense to me to switch British football to a regional structure, similar to the North American. However I can never see that happening.

Imagine the excitement that could be generated by splitting British football up into 4 regional groups the boundaries could simply be geographical. ie:

North – including the Scottish clubs and some English
    East – Would be predominately English clubs.
    West – Including Irish, Welsh and English clubs.
    South – including Welsh and English clubs.

The four regions could be split into divisions who would complete a league schedule and then the league champions could have play offs to determine a regional Champion and then the regional Champions could play off to determine an overall Champion.

Pure fiction of course but none the less it appeals to my imagination.

Nice idea GN5, but I guess we’d have to stay inline with the other UEFA formats in order to participate in the CL and Europa League>

It seems to me that the only reason that American Football with no P or R works is because of the draft system; that is the crucial safety valve that stops the NFL being won continuously by the same team year on year to the inevitable point that no one is interested anymore.

It would take no time for one or two teams tops to control the EPL without P and R and the end of football would be nigh.

I like the idea of a London Championship. There are enough teams…

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    QPR
    C Palace
    Fulham
    Barnet
    Orient
    Charlton
    Brentford
    West Ham
    Wimbledon (are they still in London?)
    Millwall
    The Miscreants

Santi out for three months, ligament injury according to the Guardian.Do I laugh or cry.No fecking midfield left.

Wimbledon FC are in London.

LB It is already happening not just in the PL but also all over Europe

BR

Not half as bad as it would be I suspect.

Wimbledon is so far south west it is practically in Devon.

I may lose the will to live if it is officially announced that Cazorla is out for three months.

Does any of us have the faintest idea what is exactly wrong with Welbeck?

micky, can I just cross over the road as we have run out of milk.

he’s injured LB 🙂

Lord DidIt of realistic pessimism, what a wholeheartedly fine post.

I am in 100% agreement in any proposition, upon which, for one’s gargantuan delight, one might see the back of Stoke for evermore.
    Yes, please.

chas, you are a lifesaver 🙂

Worst idea I’ve ever heard is all year round football.

Jaysus, I’ve had enough now for this season at the start of December!
    Though a piss-up on the train to Sunderland on Saturday is starting to take on some appeal.

55. Le Cog Monster says:

Without any thought process on this as I act instinctively ….I actually like the idea of an American draft system in the EPL !. This would be an example……….One of the usual Champs……Mansour City, Manshafter Std and Chavs will win the league and only be allowed to purchase X amount of players on The Squilacci scale, where as the team who finish above the relegation Zone will be able to buy X amount of Messiesque players.
    There will be trades such as….Totnumb want our Draft choice Ronaldo in exchange for us destroying their new stadium ! etc`

Gn5
    Interesting on the regional stuff but I would miss playing the likes of Pool as we’d only ever meet the regional top team ie a Manchester side.

On the other hand, watching weekly dust ups between say Toon and violent drunken sectarian English hating jocks who be enormously entertaining

57. Le Cog Monster says:

Just testing this as a reply to any comment I don’t like ! 😀

W https://foodfoodbodybody.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/cd022_treasure_island_anchor.jpg

58. Le Cog Monster says:

Lets try again !.

W

Chas
    I’d have thought the breaking of Santi may have been a bridge too far for you resulting in cancelling train and opting for a Tier One Pretendy

Nah, who gives a toss as to whether we win or lose.

Thanks chas,I might apply for the Blatter job and I know what’s coming next 😉

Blimey., turning down a Tier One Pretendy
    You do realise that includes full kit plus extra beer plus kebab plus sick?

Ha ha ha
    Crystals aka Weak Bladder

64. Terry Transplant says:

To be fair, reducing league numbers is not enough. The main problem is the circus like nature because of the money and the way we educate our young players.

I give you some examples. Sanchez was raised in a skint enviorement. To support his mother and family mule he had to work as a dishwasher. He fully understands the value of money and fairy liquid.

Then there is Theo Walcott. The lad got the move to the biggest club in the world at just 16. No life education for him, just loads of money, hangers on, and the feeling that despite been a virgin, he had already made it

Jack Wilshere is the same. How longs he been at Arsenal? Thinking he was the bollox at 14, despised by other kids for his ability to stick his head up his backside, and sneering his way to bags of undeserved cash. “Oh no Terry, jack had it hard. Inbetween cronies laughing at his hilarious sense of humour and his cleaner wiping his arse, the poor lad had to clean Thierry Henry’s boots” Bollox.

Compare Wilshere to Mertsacker,? Pers club sent him at 17 to spend the summer working in a mental institution. Now that’s an education.

How do I know? Because I worked in one as well. I was so dedicated to my work that I spent night and day there. To get closer to the patients I convinced everyone I was Fidel Castro and that I had agreed a deal for the Soviet Union to install a Nuclear missile in patient Fat Johns pyjamas.

Oh yes, they loved me there. The only time I was a problem was when I joined a patients riot demanding Mushrooms for breakfast, tea, and supper.

At the end of my work stint, the Director, such was his love for me, refused to let me go. They were so desperate to make me stay that when I said I would go home and think about it, the security guards, lovely blokes, splattered me with a cosh

And all this work was unpaid. In fact, through some kind of mistake, I got some letter at home after confusing me as a Paitent and demanding a fee for vandalising Dave the Sheep, the hospitals mascot.

See the difference.

65. Red Arnie says:

Micky, brilliant teaser. 🙂

No relegation, meaning no stick! What is life without carrot and stick? Spare the rod and spoil the footie players? No, cannot allow that.

But 18 teams. Now, that is nice. But no winter break! What will happen to us fans? No never.

Instead use the less number of games to ensure we never have three games in a week!

And by the way, cut out international friendlies as well! 🙂

66. Red Arnie says:

Well, I am knot really ear, so should not say much! Many thanks to the faithful who are keeping the space going. 🙂

But contrary to what the Camel Wormer may feel, GoonerB is always right! 😛

We may differ on individuals, but the point is correct. Nice discussions as well, but then, let me run away, I’m knot ear! 😦

I look like Ronald Reagen in that photo 🙂

Look like a poof to me 🙂

Of course you would know instantly 🙂

Hey Crystals
    Just thinking of the morning session, I think while things are so grim at the moment, the pre 9am slot should be squatted by the realists, even if it means the fluffy headed dreamers like Raddy have to awake to a nasty dose of reality. A freezing cold shower is what it will be like to them.

71. Red Arnie says:

Not septic bladder? 🙂

72. Red Arnie says:

pre 9AM does of realism? sounds like fun! 🙂

Crystals
    I was at boarding school from eight years old, of course I can spot a poof 🙂

Arnie
    Tomorrow morning, open the door, come in, and pull up a pew 🙂

Freezing cold showers every morning?

76. Red Arnie says:

times are tough, Micky, let us see. 🙂

77. Red Arnie says:

sounds Scandinavian! Raddy’s evil influence? 🙂

Oh shit, really sorry to hear that Arnie.

79. Red Arnie says:

its OK, Micky, life is a zero sum game. 🙂

That’s a good idea Micky at 7.23 🙂

chas,

one thing you can’t do is put my face on red arse’s body 😉

don’t like the sound of that conclusion one bit Arnie

Zero-sum games are most often solved with the minimax theorem which is closely related to linear programming duality, or with Nash equilibrium.

84. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Micky. 🙂 writing a quickie to you guys.

Off for a nibble, I’ll keep an eye out for an email Arnie

Let’s think about American sports, the draft system seems to be the biggest driver behind a competitive league. But what makes that different, the clubs don’t do the developing, so to make a franchise system work you scrap the academies and gone are the days of players like Tony Adams coming through the ranks.

Then baseball where every team in the Majors also have Minor league teams where their contracted players go to be nurtured and brought on.

Unfortunately I don’t see nursery/feeder clubs happening in English football, whilst it does work relatively well in Spain and some other European leagues.

The new loan issue we have is brought upon by the lack of the reserve league (which has been gone for about three seasons now I think) and a change in academy rules. So we can play 3 overage players in under 21 games, we can organise behind closed door friendlies. I’ve been to academy games in the new format, a couple at Carrow Road watching Arsenal, one season it was all youngsters, another season Chamakh, Arshavin and the Park played. The problem, it was far too easy for the older players and nowhere physical enough to reflect senior football.

So we have players out on loan, it is my understanding that we cannot loan to another PL club and then recall whenever we want, I think it can only happen in the transfer windows (especially if player is over 21 as they have to be named in the PL squad). Players loaned to Championship clubs can be recalled, but only play for us if they were registered to the PL squad (again if over 21 on 1 January 2015).

Should say for the three main US Sports the only place a good player wants to play is the US, whereas a draft system in football wouldn’t work as it would have to be Euro wide draft, at the least. What if it was worldwide, who is organising the draft pick?

Have to say though that I am no fan of the Academy rules that were pushed through in recent times.

Academy funding was done by the FA, somehow the PL now control funding, and have implemented some set criteria about coaching time etc, to get the funding the clubs have to comply to the rules for each level of academy, a Top Academy status club can go to any other academy of a lower status and take their pick of the talent with very little compensation paid, which further hinders the lower league clubs unless they are prepared to invest money they don’t have to shift up a level in status.

FIGHT HAPPINESS
    SUPPORT MORNIN’ MISERY SQUATTERS

Genius finding that

Quite apart from the fact that Crystals ain’t here, I’m away for two days, and as of 30 mins, will be mobiled. So not sure the Mornin’ Misery can really get under way.

Might save all mine up for Friday

Soooo…. pussy vid? Little something furry in a box?

Don’t tell me, that’s uncle Jacobs Grandfather 🙂

It’s all yours, kelsey.
    Try not to defecate on the carpets.

Chas ha ha
    Morning Misery

Monreal is leaving in the Summer, just to cheer you lot up.

I am not sure which to bet on. Who will be our first goalscorer or first to go off injured on Saturday.

I didn’t understand that chas, sorry.

Love the cat vid.

Love the pic of Eddie (far left next to Didit)

what a horrible photo, who are those people?

I thought that Nacho would leave this summer, but apparently he pledged his future to the AFC, good boy

I am very sad, the bombing of Syria began
    I am thinking of joining IS

good news at last:

Oscar Pistorius is found guilty of murder after a South African appeals court overturned an earlier manslaughter verdict

murderous bastard

Aplogies to GiE for not gaining his permission 😕 but I have stolen his comments from last night as the basis for today’s …..

…. New post ……