Arsenal has no reserves – because there are no reserves …….

The current paucity of options from the bench to reinforce Arsenal’s injury ravaged squad has led many to ask whether we can recall any of the players out on loan, and further to question why they were sent out on loan in the first place. It is evident that the loss of the reserve league has been a major factor in the management of those players on the periphery of the first team squad..

Gooner in Exile explained it in this way yesterday …..

The issue of players out on loan is brought upon by the lack of the reserve league (which has been gone for about three seasons now I think) and a change in academy rules. We can play 3 overage players in under 21 games and we can organise behind closed door friendlies. I’ve been to academy games in the new format, a couple at Carrow Road watching Arsenal. One season it was all youngsters, another season Chamakh, Arshavin and the Park played. The problem is that it was far too easy for the older players and nowhere physical enough to reflect senior football.

Because of this we have players out on loan. It is my understanding that we cannot loan to another PL club and then recall whenever we want, I think that can only happen in the transfer windows (especially if player is over 21 as they have to be named in the PL squad). Players loaned to Championship clubs can be recalled, but only play for us if they were registered to the PL squad (again if over 21 on 1 January 2015).

I am not a fan of the Academy rules that were pushed through in recent times.

Academy funding was done by the FA. Somehow the PL now control funding and have implemented set criteria about coaching time etc, to get the the clubs to comply to the rules for each level of academy. A Top Academy status club can go to any other academy of a lower status and take their pick of the talent with very little compensation paid, which further hinders the lower league clubs unless they are prepared to invest money (which they probably they don’t have) to shift up a level in status.

From this it would seem that money and the power the EPL wields over the FA have been the driving forces once again. Is it good for Arsenal? Is it good for English football? …… What do you think?

Compiled from a comment stolen from GoonerInExile 🙂

104 Responses to Arsenal has no reserves – because there are no reserves …….

1. ‘morning all,

Hold onto your posts everybody, the Viking is on another raid. 😀

Harry Kane was an academy player, he’s on about £45,000 per week.

The highest earner, although he’s not actually earning his money, takes home £100,000 per week and that is …….Emmanuel Adebayor.

And the award for the Football Administrator of the Year goes to …….DANIEL LEVY !!!!!

I can only imagine it is economics which caused the demise of the reserve leagues. Instead we have age groups which is no good at all for the second tier of our squad.

GIE. Thank you for the interesting comment/post. Like you I cannot understand how this benefits the club

3. RC78 says:

Great post, which begs the question:

– Shall we actually invest in youth and the academy?

You look at the winners of the EPL in the past 8 years and I would not be surprised to see that none of them had 1 youth/academy product in their starting XI?

The UEFA rules impose that we need these players in our registered squad but it does not mention anything about playing time so there you go…As long as you have players that came through a national academy, you can live with the UEFA rules. It is not really affecting the big teams in terms of starting XI line-up really.

So shall we instead just strike a partnership with clubs like Southampton, Everton, West Ham or Aston Villa?

Our academy may just focus on London area talent and thein foreign talent spotted early on.

– For the most part our promising players have not fullfilled their foreseen potential, except Fabregas but he plays for Chelsea now and tasted success with Barcelona…Wilshere hopefully will come good but time is counted now and as for Gibbs, he has maxed out his potential and he is not a world class player so really, what is the academy really giving us and is it worth the investment? I always say: do less but better.

Anyways – I would rather strike a partnership with some clubs whereby we can buy their players at a preferential price and that we send them some players (on loan or full sale) for their first team as part of the agreement.

For example – We would buy Stones from Everton at a reduced price and we could loan them out Chambers and Adelaide…We are ok because we get a good player and they are ok because they have players that match their ambitions…

RC78 , English PL rules 8 national home grown, UEFA competition rules, 4 club home grown, 4 national home grown minimum.

This is for over 21s as we know.

So by not having club home grown we are limiting our squad size to 21 in Euro competition.

But to qualify as homegrown they must be registered to us for 3 years before turning 21, so we can still pick up the 18 year olds.

Thinking of PL winners squads:

Club and national homegrown : Terry, Lampard, Giggs, Richards, Milner, Cesc, Cole, Barry, Scholes, Carrick, Ferdinand, Brown, O’Shea, Evans, Rooney…..to name but a few.

But this is why these players are expensive even if they are going to sit on the bench.

PS thanks for the post comment Raddy 🙂

I’m not sure it’s a thrilling topic for discussion, and it seems everyone is deep buried in work/life.

Following on from my earlier point, the way Ferguson kept academy products around the club to fill in when the team were short was good management, I would rather O’Shea or Brown on the bench up until the age of 25/26 than have to buy in a DeMicheles or a Squillacci type to fill the same gap one assumes at a higher asking price.

6. Le Coq Monster says:

7. Is that a gay pride bow on his hat?

8. Briefest of updates on injuries, Koscielny and Walcott could both make the squad for the weekend, a decision will be made on Saturday.

Gibbs is available.

Wenger does not know how long Alexis, Cazorla and After a will be out.

9. That should of course be Arteta.

10. Calumn Chambers played ninety minutes as a holding mid-fielder for Arsenal U21s against Brighton during the week in a two nil win.

Was that his audition for the position against Sunderland?

11. Sorry, 2 – 1 win.

If Debuchy is leaving in summer then it makes sense to develop Chambers as a back-up LB. He played there when he first arrived and even did so for England.

If he can become a HMF all the better

What Debuchy and Monreal leaving. Should never have sold Sagna, should have paid him a few more quid,let bellerin develop and sorted.

Cockie if that old man lit a pipe he would go up in flames 🙂

NG, have you been on the sauce today 🙂

Oh RA has vanished up his own arsenal.

14. Nah! not been on the sauce Kelsey, yet. Give it a couple of hours and I’ll be in the Ex-Servicemen’s Club for a pint or three.

I’ve been using a tablet that has a nasty tendency to do it’s own thing, it takes exception to many of the words that I wish to use and alters them to suit it’s own agenda. The font size is quite small so a few get through unless I’m very vigilant.

Radish, if Debuchy is going we’d be better recalling Jenkinson and keeping Chambers in mid-field as he doesn’t have the pace to be be an effective wing-back. But, in keeping with the title of the post, I’ll reserve my judgement.

15. Why does Nacho want to leave? He’s first choice left-back, getting all the games he wants, must be on decent money and has won a couple of trophies.

We can’t afford to lose him now, he should be offered a contract extension and a pay rise if necessary.

In Santi’s absence we should ask Eddie to adopt Nacho, that should do the trick. 😀

I read your comment early this morning, GIE.

The disappearance of the Reserve Leagues does seem to have had a negative effect on players who step up to the first team without any real match practice under their belts.

The bit about Academy funding was all new and educational to me.

The massive amount of money in football will be one of the factors which makes me take less interest – if ever a time comes.

Sometimes I just stare at the comments in despair at how rumours start without any possible foundation.

Nacho to return to Spain in summer.

Really? Where too, Real Madrid, I think not, Barcelona? Are you kidding.

No one else it that semi bankrupt country could possibly pay him more than he is earning right now at THOF so why on earth would he want to leave. Cesc Fabregas be bloody well aint.

I probably should have saved this until Friday but long comments don’t come easily and most of the time seem unnecessary, hence the dearth of headline posts from moi.

18. Go on LB, write a rant for Friday. We’ll all enjoy it. It doesn’t have to run to five chapters. Half a dozen short paragraphs will do. 😀

Good night to any body still around.

Morning

Monreal and probably Santi the year after will go back to Spain.Not all Spanish players settle in England as we know and it’s not always about money. Of course they won’t get into the top two teams but they will both find homes in la Liga.

That was for Arnie 😉 who is knot here.

Morning All

I Have always hated “they are coming to take me away ” it is almost as bad as Yellow Submarine

Morning all. Please forgive me all you A.A morning music / cat video enthusiasts for having the temerity to talk about footy stuff 🙂

A thanks to Micky and GIE for 2 great recent posts. It does seem to me that the F.A / premier league between them have fcu**ed it up again when it comes to the solution of the development of English football. Part of me thinks they know this anyway and are really not overly bothered in the development of English football and therefore the national team, and that all their big talk is really just sabre rattling to give the impression of being proactive.

I happen to agree with what Steve Parish said in the link GIE put in. If anything this EPPP is the antithesis of what needed to be done. They really needed to ensure that the academies of lower league teams were better rewarded for developing quality young players not less rewarded. The most important thing for me is not to allow the oil rich clubs to just hoard young players and then discard what they don’t need.

Morning all ……. anyone with a rant they want to get off their chest???

24. IanRealGunner says:

I haven’t got a personal rant but did anyone hear Talk Sport’s show on Monday night with Collymore, when right at the end, an Arsenal fan came on and said he couldn’t have a go at Rooney because Collymore was ‘Bang average’. Collymore lost it completely and commenced a rant about his achievements and what he did to Arsenal; it was radio gold, and stared with his quote that ‘he was in Nottingham Forest’s greatest ever team line-up’. I haven’t found it on the net yet but if anyone has the podcast and can link it, that should be your rant of the day

25. What a spoilt, pampered lot we are, nothing to rant about.

Our new club song should be …..We all live in an Arsenal Wonderland.

Kelsey – how exciting is the news about Ronaldo 🙂 Sadly, I don’t believe it. I examined the photos and there is nothing sexual about those 2 – mates having fun, not lovers

I don’t really care either way,Evonne 😉

Just reading that Wenger loves Bob Marley music and is a bit constipated.Over to you,Chas 😉

Strewth, no rant!!!

And on another Arsenal day where it is nigh on impossible to find a single piece of good news

Or are you all hiding something from me? Is Theo back? Ox about to hit full potential? What’s going on?

gunnosorus is back in training

I am trying to find a connection between Bob Marley and constipation……ganja! that shit makes you constipated

30. What? No Friday Rant…. it is friday neh, or have i been so pissed I’ve missed a day and now it’s saturday? oh well saturday, match day.

31. VCC says:

didit 5:22……..didn’t you get the message earlier, they’ve all defected to another site. Your on yer own buddy. 😉

Just watched the Arsene press thing
    The bloke with the mic asked him to comment on something Klopp had said about Sturridge being a bit a drip and in short, he agreed many of today’s players are a bit wet
    No shit 🙂

VCC
    There’s another site? What the ‘king hell is the point in that then 🙂

Totally pants news about Santi.

On a positive note, it has stopped raining.

Well, other than NB’s of course, and that does have a very specific point and specialist clientele 🙂

Blimey, my spelling is even worse than usual today 🙄

March is what someone muttered at the press do about Santi, Erik!!

Actually Erik, the best weather related story I’ve heard in ages is when you said high winds had broken every bicycle in Denmark

Result that 🙂

I can’t believe that it has taken this long for Ronaldo to come out, it is so glaringly obvious that he is gay, nothing wrong with that though, we live in a modern world and people should have the right to choose.

39. Stopped raining Radish? It’s been a beautiful day here in subtropical Norfolk.

Dazzling sunshine from dawn until mid-afternoon. Cold and windy maybe but a great day for walking on the North Norfolk Coast.

Fish and chips by a log fire in the Three Swallows at Cley-next-the-sea for lunch. Lovely!

Exile
    Sincere apologies for not thanking you for the post. I did read it on a mobile. Just seems ages ago.

The way I feel right now, I’d bin youth/academy everything. I know we have to comply with homegrown rules, but do they have to be English? In line with the Klopp statement, why are the English so fragile? Nanny Stated has to have something to do with it. I blame New Labour 🙂

41. Perhaps the the right to a private life too LB?

Norfolk. We have had severe weather warning s for the last few days and they even closed the bridge to Sweden! Just makes me jealous to read of crisp, sunny, cold winter days.

Sounds as though you have a fine lifestyle!

LB. If and it is a huge IF, Ronaldo is gay it would be wonderful if he was outed. If the best player in the world had the courage to come out it would make it so much easier for others. It is a discgrace that footballers remains so fearful

NG. They give up the right to a private life when they star in movie films made about them

Raddy
    I’d prefer a player choose to come out, rather than be outed, however, it’s a bigger ask than just that for CR10
    “Ooooello, my name is Ron, and I’m a tosser AND a Lady Boy”

45. hey Raddy…. transplant and cockie have made the occassional hint about their leanings but are still too afraid to come out and say they are gay…… and that;s just on a sma;; blog… imagine Ronaldo, Walcott, Rooney coming out into the open and saying…. yeh, ok, I’m a fucking shirtlifter… so ficking what!

46. I’m a bit pee’d but is there ny football tonight? if not I’ll watch th e second series of Breaking Bad… all seven episodes

47. Le Coq Monster says:

Hahaha Spermbank……….I`m not gay !…….I shag Transplant, he`s the gay one !.

Why cant it be like woman`s football ?….. they are coming out all over the place, most of them are lesbians !……In a perfect world, I would be a fit looking lesbian who plays for Arsenal !…..score the FA Cup Final winner and then some woman on woman action in the showers after !……….Mmmmmm Nice !

Next best thing is I`m off out now to pick up a Ruby take away !………Mmmmmm Nice !

nb – Salford City v Hartlepool tonight. Last time I watched Salford they were great, good old fashioned footy

I wonder what people will laugh about in the future – gay jokes, minorities, disabilities are either taboo or nothing special about it, Boring times ahead

Eddie 😀

How do you break a Polish man’s fingers?

Punch him in the nose ……

This is the schedule for the balance of 2015 for the top 4 teams.

Man C, Man U and Arsenal all have 4 very winnable games and 1 tricky game. Leicester have by far the toughest with 4 very difficult games.

Man C Leicester Man U Arsenal
    Stoke A Swansea A West Ham H Sunderland H
    Swansea H Chelsea H Bournemouth A Aston Villa A
    Arsenal A Everton A Norwich H Man C H
    Sunderland H Liverpool A Stoke A Southampton A
    Leicester A Man C H Chelsea H Bournemouth A
    Points 29 Points 29 Points 28 Points 27

It came out of it’s columns but it’s still understandable, I intended to write a post using this data but I’ve had a crazy week.

ha ha ha 🙂

how do you brake English man’s fingers?
    Kick him between the legs 🙂 🙂 not really funny 🙂 🙂

I miss Gary Neville already, he didn’t come over to watch Salford tonight

Righty oh, Arsenal to win tomorrow is 1:4 and Sunderland 12:1. I am tempted….but it is probably not allowed to bet against your own team

53. Red Arnie says:

nice post, GiE. 🙂 and nice discussion. sorry knot ear. 😦

54. Red Arnie says:

back for the match. 🙂 COYG

55. Red Arnie says:

Kelsey. 🙂 and Raddy. 🙂 nothing beats Yellow Submarine. 🙂

Chas
    Bread roll or traditional sarni
    What’s your weapon of choice on the bread front for the match day traveller?
    I say white, roll, a medium to firm crust with just a little bit of the flour dust

Ah, Ciabatta rolls. They’re the boys

I think chas likes baps

Can we win today?

Nobody? Right, that’s it.
    Some say if you’ve got nothing positive to say, then say nought
    Not me
    No Sanchez. No Theo. No Danny. No Santi. No movement. Shit football.
    God, I hope we win, but pretty it will not be. It will, on the other hand, be a superb day for those on here who like a striker with back to goal, running sideways across the pitch, and who like a good old fashioned hoof into the box.
    Us connoisseurs have taken up praying for luck 🙂

Ah ha Edddddddie
    Thank God.
    Yes we can win

Morning micky☺
    Bikes blowing all over north London today, not much point of hoofing the ball. Close control, Ozil in charge of not surecwhom

Eddie
    If our man The Ox is ever going to seize his moment, it starts today
    Really hope he does

One large wholemeal bap and one cheese topped roll , with ham, mustard, cherry tomatoes (sliced) and emmental.
    One sausage roll (jumbo)
    A portion of chili doritos. (wrapper discarded to disencourage rustling)
    Two mini choclate brioche.
    A Snickers equivalent.
    Two lager
    Two cider.

That should see me through the train journey.

I doubt it, he is a little bit of a disappointment to me. It is his 5th season with us and he still ain’t exactly a star, is he?

Where is that gipo Wiltshire, can’t be injured that long?

Chas 😂😂😂😂

Sliced cherry tomatoes??

Morning all. they’re making a big deal about man city’s level of injuries but ours is worse – maybe because that’s the norm 😦

Of course we can win today, but the team will be a tad makeshift and who knows whether it will find a balance. Pace up front is essential so either the ox or theo (preferably both) will be required.

Will Chambers play DM?

Ham and emmental. Get in there. The classic combo.
    I’m much more of a potato crisp man myself, but if you are going for the corn tortilla, the chili heatwave babies are right up there
    Not at all happy about the word brioche though. Way too French for a manly nibble (ps it’s ok to go back to hating the French again now 🙂 )

Chambers? Oh no

Rasp
    Wouldn’t you prefer Flamini. Little more tried and tested

A quick calories count – almost 3000 calories for one train journey!! A grown up man requires 2500 cals per day

Eddie
    I do agree about The Ox. For me he has this season to prove himself, or be flogged. With Santi out, he has a more central option, and with every wide boy out, he has those options as well. Now or never.

Well happily Chas and Ant are not grown up, so those rules do not apply 🙂

Never. He doesn’t strike me as an ambitious hungry individual. Too relaxed, too happy, not an evil bone in him.

Micky – make no mistake about the Disgraceful Duo. They act as adolescents, but are much older than they look!

Copy and pasting:

Much depends, if Liverpool are to mount a sustained title surge, on the contributions of the fragile and mercurial Daniel Sturridge. But even on this front Klopp has proved a master of psychology, making a barbed comment about the striker’s inability to distinguish between actual and imagined pain

Hello Theo????

Hi Micky, yes I’d definitely go with Flamini and the brioche

Eddie
    It’s not how old you are that counts
    Only real men (however juvenile) can do a pretendy without shame 🙂

I am hugely impressed by the A&D picnic. The ham, emmenthal, tomato, mustard combo is hard to beat though personally I favour piccalilly rather than mustard. That said piccalilli can overpower the cheese which has a delicate flavour.

The crispy stuff I can do without. And the snickers – whole nut is the way forward.

Like the brioche and the sausage roll.

I wonder if we would escape injuries if the players went back yo eating proper food instead of the swill they eat pre-match?

Flamini is French

Big. Morning.
    I know you’ve been a fan of Klopp, whereas I never have. However, I am liking his thinking, and he’s sounding tougher than Arsene. Beginning to think we may have missed a trick after all.

Raddy – do you mean eating rubbish food and believing in ‘what won’t kill you will make you stronger’ 😆

Ah but Eddie, he doesn’t act French 🙂

Klopp = big worry for the rest of EPL. Did you see them playing on Wednesday?? Fook

“It will, on the other hand, be a superb day for those on here who like a striker with back to goal, running sideways across the pitch, and who like a good old fashioned hoof into the box”. 🙂

Giroud with a bycicle kick that he naturally misses and lands on Flamini’s private parts, and it’s a goal, but the question is who for.

AW will have decided who plays today and Tuesday already and throw in at least another two injuries so we can have the youngest team ever to play in the Europa 😉

I would be amazed if Theo and Ox start because they are no where near being fit.

Black cats today and not a picture in sight.

I reckon, being extremely optimistic that we should get a draw out of this game.

Martin does come up with a few classics.

Well that’s the first bet I have won today, chas is like Wenger but not as rich 🙂

Great stuff from Martin and oh so true

90. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. motning all. 🙂

matchday, is it! 🙂 and a Ant n’ Duck show! 🙂 🙂 and Micky trying to be positive. 🙂 🙂 🙂 wow.

91. Red Arnie says: