If only we had this great Arsenal player in today’s team …….

Arguably the return of a re-invented Coquelin in the latter part of last season was the biggest factor in our improved defensive stability.

Many (including me) would have put the procurement of another top quality DM at the top of our shopping list last summer.

It didn’t happen and we may now have to wait and see how costly that will be with Coquelin sidelined for the next 12 weeks.

Rather than keep moaning about what could have happened, I thought I’d fantasise about the influence my favourite Arsenal player would bring to the current side if he were that missing signing and at his peak of 27 years of age.

P2

What our current team really needs is the Patrick Vieira of 2003/4. In my opinion, he would make this current Arsenal side considerably better than it is now – and it’s not too shabby at the moment :). Don’t get me wrong, when the team clicks as it did against Zagreb the other night (not the strongest of opposition) having a Vieira in the side would be a luxury rather than a necessity, but it is when we are under pressure that a player of his stature would come into his own.

He possesses all the qualities we need to make the team complete. A natural leader, fearless, strong, skilful, powerful, tall and elegant. A player who could tackle, who could defend, who could see a defence splitting pass, who could go forward and score a goal. He wouldn’t allow his teammates heads to go down. He wouldn’t sit back and watch our players get bullied.

But then I thought maybe there may be another ex Arsenal player of the EPL era who would make a similar or maybe even greater impact in a different position.

Some among us had been calling for a top striker over the summer. Would you prefer to see a TH14 at the peak of his powers instead of PV4 (I’m only allowing you one fantasy). Or maybe you think DB10 as our greatest ever player would have to be the one?

What about a proper winger; Mark Overmars, or the massive presence of Sol Campbel in defence. Maybe you’d prefer Seaman in goal in place of Cech –  or the calm control Gilberto brought to our midfield? Dare I ask if Ashley Cole or the underrated hard man Lauren is what our current team really needs? What about the artistry of Pires or the Arsenal DNA of Tony Adams.

These are the rules: you can only choose one ex player from the EPL era to bring back to our current squad at the peak of his powers. The player has to be the one you think would bring about the greatest improvement to the team.

I’m going to list the most likely candidates, if your preferred choice doesn’t feature on the list, tell us in comments who and why.

Rasp

211 Responses to If only we had this great Arsenal player in today’s team …….

why can one choose only 1 player? and DD never played the ball for us 🙂

yes, it was Ibra who dissed Wenger:

“Zlatan Ibrahimovic: I was good enough to join Arsenal – they should have known that without a trial

Sweden striker reveals how he was left unimpressed at having to prove his worth to Arsene Wenger 13 years ago”

Morning Eddie, this is not a serious post, I expect lots of ironic voting. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Stepanovs or DD came top 🙂

TThanks rasp

I actually did vote for David Dein (note spelling) 😉 as IMO his departure had a lot of bearing on many aspects of Wenger’s job, he brought the guy to the club and took away many of the things that Wenger now appears to do himself, there’s not much he doesn’t do. That too many Dein sold out is entirely another matter.

Morning Kelsey, that was one reason I put him on the list – also because it will rattle LB’s cage 🙂

pshhh…only Eddie voted for Dennis! Fans are funny fish

But Eddie, brilliant as DB certainly was, we have Ozil, Sanchez and Santi in the current team. Do you think we are short of playmakers?

Kelsey,

The question is’

Which Arsenal player would you bring back to the current side?

What position did Dein play in for Arsenal? Or did you mean Dixie Dean? He played for Everton. 🙂

[Shush, you lot – His hair has probably got in his eyes!] 🙂

9. wengenomics says:

I agree without, but that said there’s no team on earth that wouldn’t be made better by adding a 2003/2004 form Vieira into it the middle of it

I voted for ‘A.N. Other’.

You are thinking out of the box – a bit – Rasp, so I took you at your word, and clearly the choice has to be a prolific goalscorer, so I would like to save nominate the couple who showed the most improvement – William “ Tagge” Webster and Dennis Compton whose footwork and plié were superb, and especially the way Tagge often led with a heel step.

Welcome wengenomics. I agree, PVs don’t grow on trees. I have yet to see a more complete holding midfielder – actually he was more than an HM, but let’s keep it simple.

Morning Redders. I restricted players to the EPL era simply because the list of alternatives would be endless and apart from the old gits on this site 🙂 most bloggers wouldn’t have seen them play.

Yaya Toure is the nearest thing we have ever seen since Vieira, and RA you are looking for a smack or knee right between your trousers, presuming you do wear trousers.

I took the opportunity of joining you in thinking outside the box, Rasper, and the A. N. Other slot gave me the opportunity to do so. 🙂

We simply should have bought a ‘proper’ DM in the summer, and your mention of PV4 just highlights that – no amount of wishful thinking hides the fact it was a potentially calamitous mistake (aberration) not to have done so.

But if you insist – I would pick Tony Adams not just because he was a key player in his day – who has now gone loopy – but he was a great captain/leader and would have kicked the asses of some of today’s team for the casual, laissez-faire way they make persistent errors and just shrug their shoulders as if it did not matter.

It matters!!

I tend to wear a tartan kilt, Kelsey, as it creates its own comfortable climate – and dinna ask me if I wear anything under it – you naughty boy. 🙂

rasp @ 9:32 is a blasphemy! do you honestly think that Ozil is better that Bergkamp??

And stop trying to confuse me, Kelsey, Kolo Toure played for Arsenal but not Yaya, except when he played a game or two while on trial.

More’s the pity. 😦

18. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Strange one Rasp.
    To be quite honest, No 0ne single player would make any difference to this squad.

All our players have their merits, Supporters are very fickle, one minute Campbell should be outed, the next he has improved immensely.

Many thought that the signing of Cech, was going to change a decade of bad keeping, his first game reminded me of all the rubbish keepers of the last ten years. Yes he is probably better than what we had, but how long will he last.

Sanchez an artist of the highest order he too has helped but, he has also been included when we have played rubbish, The same could be said of our record signing Ozil. No one player would make a difference.

People say that since Coquelin came back we have been a different side, Coquelin i must admit has won MOTM on numerous occasions. He to me is a great addition but he has also been on the end of losses.

All of the old players we have had, did a service . Most of us relate to the invincible s, as that only happens once a lifetime, but no one player of them could make us champions today.

If of course you include David Dein in any one man, then you must put Arsene Wenger in there as well. At present we are still in the mix, when i say the mix i mean for top four, of course things could develop where a cup or the league trophy could come to us, Even Champions league could be a possibility, Of course Wenger is still leading us, if any of those trophies should come our way Asene Wenger would have picked that team.. So no one player could change our fortune, but Wenger will certainly keep us challenging, He gets my vote.

Eddie,

What I think Rasper was asking is — if there is a weak position in the current team, which player would you choose from the past to fill it?

As Özil is probably our best player, why replace him with Bergkamp when maybe we have a weakness at CF?

[I think I will let him explain himself — I am still trying to work out how DNA is indigenous] 🙂

20. Lovely Rasp…. shame you didn’t include Wright… I suppose he’s the A.N. Other, but I voted for Tony because we need a leader on the pitch…. Viera would have been my second choice.

And flies can walk on ceilings 🙂

PV4 for me. Alongside Petit. Best midfield I have seen.

Power, vision, ability, determination and leadership.

Thanks Redders, you are correct 🙂

Steve do you really believe “No 0ne single player would make any difference to this squad.” – are all our players the best in the world in their position?

Hi NB, I considered Wrighty because I love the guy, I just figured that if its a choice between IW and TH there would only be one winner.

5 votes for David Dein, the same number as for DB10 😆

24. Stefan says:

Emmanuel Petit, Gilberto or Song as a DM and CB would be Tony Adams, Sol Campbell or Martin Keown

Thanks for the list Stefan 🙂 … and the one you would choose is?………

26. ‘morning all,

For the simple reason that we have not one but two glaring deficiencies in our squad I find it almost impossible to decide between a striker, Thierry Henry, or a holding mid-fielder, Patrick Vierra.

On balance I have to go with Henry, as with him in the side we would accumulate enough goals to discount those scored by the opposition due to our lack of a mid-field enforcer.

Thanks for the post Rasp.

Thanks NG, for what its worth, I think Seaman was our best keeper, Sol Campbell our best defender, PV our best HM, DB our best AM and TH our best striker …. and they all played in the same team – how ‘lucky’ were we?

just 1 player is completely unfair, bang out of order. Nobody can choose an individual from such formidable list.

if not DB10 then Tony Adams.

29. So you chose Eddie….. wasn’t too difficuly eh. 🙂

30. difficuly………. that’s a nice word

31. Stefan says:

@Rasp, I think Vieira is the classic choice but my point is the squad is excellent. The Coquelin injury it shows mass weakness in the DM position option compared to the other positions. You have highlighted Vieira but I would be choosing Emanuel Petit as he was excellent, less red cards, good passer and tackler, strong in the air physical. The difference with this squad is that you do not need to rely on goals from defensive players as we have so many good attackers. We play with a one more forward player than in the 98 season with the formation we used. I mentioned a centre back as Per will have to leave next season. Whether we should play with such players and formation in 98 is another debate as we have smaller attacking players.

32. Difficully…the other Chinese porter?

33. The abbreviation of the title on the recent comments widget is a trifle unfortunate. 😀

34. Rasp, I prefer to think we were “deserving” rather than that nebulous conception so hated by dear old Redders.

😆 NG, I think Eddie is in the process of writing a post for us asking which player has the nicest arse 😕

36. NG… I’ve been f’ing searching for what you meant at 11.38am…. LOL just found it ha ha… should I mention it or leave it for others to find?

37. Rasp…. for Eddie that would be Santi. Short Arse 🙂

38. I’ve started to notice that Eddie disappears once I make a comment…. I think she thinks I’m stalking her ha ha….

39. Le Coq Monster says:

If only we had this great Arse…………

Not sure what I would have been allowed to put up if the title was….If only we had this great Coq…..uelin replacement .

40. Le Cog Monster says:

I ticked A. N. Other seeing as Rasp was being as stubborn as Wenger in only allowing one player, other wise it would have been TH14 and PV4 !………so the A.N.Other for me is………A manager who would spent the £228M in the summer !.

don’t flatter yourself nb, I don’t think about you 🙂

nicest arse? Is there such thing as a nice arse?! nicest eyes – jack or Vermaelen, nicest smile – Santi, nicest body – ozil, nicest hair – Ollie, nicest guy – Theo, nicest all arounder – TH14.

42. Good news…. the Ox could be back for the weekend. But why play in the Black strip against a team that play in Yellow and Green?

43. If only we had this great Coq @12:01pm 🙂

Eddie 🙂

44. Le Cog Monster says:

Nicest narcissist …..Me !

45. Le Cog Monster says:

Here`s a thought !…….if we don’t buy anyone in January, we will have £300+M in the Summer to spend……that`s like 10 Alexis`s !.

PS……Just waiting for confirmation from the Bank of Kelsey that my sums are right !. hahaha

46. Le Coq….. you can have confirmation from the Sperm Bank of Northbank if you want…. loads 🙂

47. Le Cog Monster says:

That’s a lot of sticky stuff for flies to use for glass !.

From now on you will be known as……Spermbank1969 😀

48. Belgiums Health Minister….

49. Eddie… please note my new name 🙂

50. Right, I’m just about to eat some home made Creamy Carrot and Coriander soup…. back late. I just love AA.

Now cockie please don’t exagerate 😉 Take out Flamini,Arteta and Rosicky and all those out on loan who haven’t a dogs chance of coming back, that reduces the wage bill by a few hunderd thousand a week, but Sanchez will get his deal which increase our wages a bit.

52. Le Cog Monster says:

Why ?……You hoping Eddie is going to make a withdrawal ? 😆

53. Le Cog Monster says:

That’s more than a few hundred thousand, Kelsey !…..that`s enough to pay Messi`s wages and more !. 🙂

Well my belief is that the great teams need an even greater Captain and my vote went to Mr. Arsenal.

So now we know the 4 of us that really feel the same way.

Redders, Northbank, Eddie and Myself.

Tony Adams used to pick the players up by their boot straps and give them a swift kick whenever needed, he was the most vocal leader I’ve seen at Arsenal.

United had Roy Keane and we had the formidable Mr. Arsenal.
    Today we are leaderless and sometimes clueless.

Thanks to those of you who took the trouble to wish me a happy birthday.

I’ve posted so the normal trend is that the blog freezes!

57. Le Cog Monster says:

Happy Birthday GN5 and may there be many more…..especially trophy winning ones ! 😀

58. Le Cog Monster says:

I`ve asked Arsene to put whatever little cash he has underneath his mattress into a card for you !……………………….If you`re not already, you will now be stinking rich !. hahaha

Hi GN5, do you think Adams was a better captain than Vieira? I can see why you might. I just prefer if the captain is a midfielder. I can never understand why goalkeepers are made captains.

Both were the epitomized the requirements of great Captains but Adams was like a lion prowling his territory and dared anyone to try to pass him!!

But either would add a missing dimension to our current squad – frankly I cannot see my desired type of Captain anywhere in our entire squad.

Both epitomized………

Thanks Le Coq, I look forward to the influx of cash……….

I agree that there is not a natural leader of the calibre of Adams or Vieira in the current squad. As I said in the post, its not so important when you’re winning, but very important if you’re losing.

Thanks Rasp. I went for TH14, but probably no surprise there. In reality both areas maybe need improving but to indulge your fantasy of only one I would say that with the current squad TH14 (at his peak) would give us that extra dimension to win this league. Vieira would undoubtedly strengthen us significantly but I don’t feel would be as decisive a factor in this years league.

This brings me on to a point I wish to make in general but also specifically about our current strikers, as I make no bones in stating I feel we fall short currently at the highest level, which is why I plumped for TH14 in this poll. In particular Ollie seems to divide fans and bloggers into 2 camps both seemingly incredulous of the other camp.

I have said that I don’t feel that Ollie is good enough to be a first choice starting 11 striker at the level we are at and are trying to push on to. Stating that often seems to be translated into terms like “unfair criticism” or “undue negativity”. I have also, in the past, personally been accused of stating that Ollie will fall from grace and fail spectacularly. That supposed comment of mine I would love someone to find. Good luck, you would have a better chance locating Lord Lucan.

I have however said that while not feeling Ollie is quite first choice material for where we are trying to get to, that he is a very good striker, and a very good option in the squad, and is deserving of his place in some capacity in the Arsenal squad.

It depends on your interpretation of words such as criticism, critique and appraisal. I personally feel that I have always more appraised and critiqued Ollie than actually aim negative criticism at him. I have assessed what type of player he is in my mind, what his strengths and weaknesses are and as such what I feel he can and cannot do at the highest level. That for me is an honest appraisal not undue negative criticism.

Others can disagree, as is their right, and may feel Ollie is “the” striker we need to get to the upper reaches of the game. I do not, and am happy to debate why they feel he is vs why I feel he is not.

65. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry Rasp, been busy.
    Make a difference yes, but win us leagues no.
    Squads win leagues, and cups, matched with a good manager, will win things.

All of our players can be bettered, and no single player can win you the trophies. When you asked the question, i naturally thought you meant, one player that would make the team win the league, no one man could do that in my opinion

Oh and happy birthday GN5. I am only just catching up on happenings on the blog.

Oh and Chas, a big haha for your 1.52 yesterday. Didn’t read it till later on. I think you may have something there though. I must hunt you down at the next home game I attend to discuss further 🙂

I know, let’s make Ollie captain, non playing captain 🙂 Then everyone will be pleased.

HB Gn5 (sorry if I am late but news takes time to filter through to chilly Scandinavia)

First things first – HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GUNNERN5 😀

Supporting Arsenal obviously leads to a long and fulfilling life – on another of the blogs I occasionally visit there is a really upbeat character who is in his 90s. 🙂

Have a great day GN5, and I suspect the family will take you out for a meal and a bevy – good on you!

Maybe we could enter a team in the veterans league somewhere, with Crystals and Norfolk in their 80s, NB, Steve, Micky and the Viking in their 70s, and Coquie, Rasp and GoonerB and his camels in their late 60s we should do OK. 😀

Foreign Office RA 🙂

72. Hmpf, I’ll have you know that I am well short of my eighties Redders though I could play for the over seventies.

I see you’ve committed yourself, is there no room for a centenerian?

73. Omitted not committed, or though maybe you should be. 😀

Happy Birthday GN5
    One message: grow up 🙂

Fun post Rasp, thanks
    Voted Paddy, which is a very sound choice for this side.
    Although that was my heart voting. My head would say TH, but he’s a knob, so I didn’t vote for him 🙂

micky – did you see my comment this morning?

‘good comment from GiE, especially this part:

“Giroud’s record is good, make that very good. Why do fans not believe in him? I personally think because some fans only recognise the glory” – that’d be you DidIt 🙂 ‘

Thanks for treating today’s lightweight post in the spirit intended folks. Now who wants to follow Eddie’s lead and have a proper moan for tomorrow.

GoonerB pointed out to me on Tuesday that he was the originator of Rant Friday – unfortunately he’s just too nice a bloke to descend into full rant mode 🙂

ha ha ha NB

Could not believe the fat bird really was Belgium’s Minister for health, so googled her
    IT IS
    Maggie De Block is the name, and Blockages me game 🙂

Ahhh Eddie,
    No, missed that gem. Let’s be honest, Exile was a 4th division goalkeeper, so how he appreciates the finer arts of the beautiful game more than me, who scored 5 in a trial for my schools Under 11’s, shall remain a mystery 🙂

Actually, the truth happens to be the opposite. Fans of Ollie put results (and glory) before beautiful football (the connoisseur)

So there. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it 🙂

Rasp
    Sounds like GB has dug himself something of a hole there.

“Nib out GB. The clock ticks”

Thanks for the belated birthday greetings guys, I enjoyed listening to the song – thanks MIcky – Oh I never want to grow up.

RA we had a great family dinner yesterday (cooked by GN5) and in the evening we watched a recording of Adele live in London – she is a stunning singer her voice seems to be even better when she sings live. Her new release of Hello has already had 16+ million views on You tube.

82. Lightweight post? LIGHTWEIGHT POST? Here am I exhausted by the effort of marshalling my thoughts into order so as to make a meaningful comment or two and now you tell me it was a LIGHTWEIGHT POST. Well thank you very much Rasp.

Exits stage right, in a huff!

Micky

You’re slightly more blunt challenge may be more effective than the subtle carrot I dangled before GB 🙂

Knowing him he’ll probably complain that WordPress caps comments at 2,000 words 🙂

OK, Norfolk, more accurately a deeply challenging post written by a lightweight 🙂

well I also have a complaint about WordPress – is it just me or have others lost ‘Home’ button on the top?

micky advising someone/anyone to grow up. Dear lord….

Hi Eddie, we are aware of the problem. It is the same for all of us. We have messaged WordPress’ helpline and are awaiting their response.

Oh yes, me too Eddie

Anyway, don’t dodge the issue, who knows more about football, me or a goalkeeper? Come on Eddie, take sides, and start a fight 🙂

88. Oh, that’s alright then Rasp I can add another serious comment.

I was almost tempted to vote for old Safe Hands, a great ‘keeper in the tradition of Jack Kelsey, Pat Jennings and Bob Wilson but I had to go with Petr Cech as I think he’s had a tougher behind an inferior defence and at a time when there are far more top quality goal scorers out there than in David Seaman’s time.

Rasp I’ve emailed a rant to you.

Well GN5, I bloody well hope you’ve given Chas an earful, because frankly, he’s a menace

Damn, I can’t stop thinking about the Olympiacos game. I so want to play Zenit and get a trip to St Petersberg

Micky,

I’ve been to St. Petersburg and It was a wonderful experience. My wife and myself are both art lovers and we spent several days in the Hermitage, which houses some of the world’s greatest art treasures – tens of thousand of pieces.

We went on a cruise and sailed up the Neva River to the city, so we ate and slept on the boat – all the comforts of home , and even better the 2 week trip was paid for by a supplier.

Micky leave Chas alone or he will start sending Mrs MD89 copies of the pictures you shared with him.

Wow, that sounds really fantastic
    Will definitely go the Hermitage
    I love museums, and if I can drag Erik along, he pretends to like art and shit like that 🙂

Shit, really? Yikes

Now that is typical Norfolkian; at 4:49 – “I had to go with Petr Cech as I think he’s had a tougher behind” – disgraceful! 🙂

Hey, I came in for a right pasting last Friday – let someone else be told how disgraceful they are for a change.

I wonder what GN5’s rant is about – hmmm. I reckon I could guess in one attempt.

Cheers for the post, Rasp.
    I guess it would have to be Vieira as the team stands at the moment, maybe Thierry before Le Coq’s injury, then again, Gilberto would be the sort of player everyone was crying out for in the summer.
    Truth be known, I haven’t a scooby.

97. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, nice light hearted teaser, Rasp. 🙂

I just pushed votes for PV4 above TH14. 🙂

98. Red Arnie says:

Kelsey. Based on your news report, the journos obviously dont count me as an Arsenal fan. But then, who cares about such numpty journos anyway. 🙂

Onwards and upwards. Bring on Olympiacos. One step at a time! 🙂

99. I did say I was exhausted Redders, such a little slip, to leave out such a little word as job.

Thank you for drawing my faux pas to the attention of all and sundry, I feel so much better for the humiliation.

100. Herb's Army says:

Happy Birthday, GN5, hope you celebrate many more.

Thanks for a clever ‘little’ Post, Rasp, one which hurts your head the longer you think about it, and you could make a good case for bringing back any of the names you’ve listed – maybe with the exception of Stepanovs.
    Simply on the basis that I met him last year and the fact that he rejected United’s continuous advances, it has to be Tony Adams.
    The youngest captain to lead Arsenal to the title, and marshalled a defence that considered conceding goals as a personal insult.
    I remember him often being compared to Bobby Moore by football pundits of the day, and his goal against Everton in 1998 – brilliant.

ha bloody ha Chas 🙂

I do love the Crystals ones. Superb work

Chas
    Re empty seats
    Saw your comment about the club not allowing ticket exchange to operate unless the game is a sell out. Interesting.

I used to like Kelsey but he doesn’t agree with me about Giroud and the picture of him at the news conference has gone to his head – or was it only his head?

micky @4:46 – that’s a tricky question. I prefer your football-talking style – short sentences, to the points, words that I understand (shit), whereas GiE does my head in – I have to concentrate and think at the same time and by the time I reach the end of his comment I cannot remember what was in the beginning. I therefore have to agree with you – your footballing knowledge is far more superior to Exile’s.

A serious question. Someone said to me today that Dennis Bergkamp wasn’t a great team player. I almost fainted. Does anybody really think that of DB?? I always thought he was all about the team

Eddie
    “your footballing knowledge is far more superior to Exile’s.”
    I WILL be using that line occasionally. In fact, make that regularly 🙂

I should know more about the Russia Poland geo political history, but my memory is so poor. I have a good friend in a similar position.

Eddie
    Just remembered something.
    Said friend’s Dad donated some ceremonial robe of some description, worn by an ancestor, to the Hermitage, and the Russkies could not believe he wanted no loot for it, instead of a gift. Made a big hoohaa over the event, and were banging on how Russian Oligarchs and their like are making off with so many historical artefacts

I don’t think DB was a team man, but you certainly wanted him in your team, if that makes sense. Ice Man.

Actually, its often been a problem for the Dutch national team. Gelling a team of egotistical big heads 🙂
    (I do not include our Dennis in that)

Oh my goodness, what a fantastic idea.

The thought of having Vieira in the side now just sends shivers of excitement running down my spine.

With Paddy I always got the feeling we could rule the world.

Great post Rasp.

@7:12 and 7:14 🙂 hm, but he had so many assists, he made others look good, how can you say he wasn’t a good team player?

I think my son’s family never claimed what belonged to them, because they didn’t think it was safe. I’d say they suffered so much from the Soviets that it was enough.

crazy men!!! it ain’t gonna happen!!! what is there to get excited about 🙂

Micky,

A great deal of the art in the Hermitage was looted from Europe during WW2, during the war the Russians feared that the Hermitage might get damaged or looted so all of the art was crated up and shipped inland for safe keeping. Rumour gas it that much of said art still remains crated in the basement of the Hermitage as they have run out of display room in the palaces.

In one gallery we saw Leonardo Da Vinci’s “Madonna and Child” it was painted around 1492 and the colour looked as bright as the day it was painted. The security was so lax that I walked to within 3′ of the painting and even touched the frame. I asked to guide how much it was valued at and he looked at me dumbfounded and simply said “its priceless”.

“My son’s family had several houses in St Petersburg before the war. They still have the deeds but nobody can be arsed to fight to get them back!!”

I had no idea that we had royalty among us.

Priceless is a reasonable answer when you think about it

He even went on to say that there was no amount of money that could buy the painting as it would never leave the Heritage.

I’m starting to get really bored of this spuds winning thing.
    They need to be brought down a peg or two. Is it morally acceptable to want Chelsea to win or will my season ticket burst into flames for just thinking it?

Still seems reasonable.

Does that make you feel better LB 😉

It’s funny you should say that Kelsey, but it does make me feel better.

LB 🙂 Polish history is very strange. My son’s family were not aristocracy, just very wealthy, the great grand father was a high court judge in Vilnus. They have lost it all. The children learnt French so they had decent jobs after they landed in England, but had to start from the scratch.

My family had a couple of titles, say upper middle class type, lost it all too. And what’s more, because of the titles my mother and uncle were denied places at a then communist university. My mother was not promoted for almost 30 years because she refused to join the Party.

But you can call me your majesty 🙂

Now look here, GN5, I know its your birthday and everything, but you are going to have to explain how you only got to 3 feet of the painting but managed to touch the frame.

You either have the longest arms in the world, or the painting and the frame were separated, or did someone pinch the painting and leave the frame to well …….. frame you? 😀

Eddie,

Something has perhaps gone missing in the translation, but how can you talk of your son as if he had a family separate to you.

Is he your stepson, or god-son – or are you pulling our proverbial? 🙂

Too many mysterious comments – I am off to lie down and ponder something simple like the meaning of life, and all that!

Sayonara. 🙂

RA – I divorced my son’s father many years ago, hence they are not my family. Good friends, but not family.

Just watching a replay of the South Africa v India game and your boys are doing you proud, Arnie.

Day 2 of the 3rd Test – India all out for 215 in reply SA 79 all out —
    India 2nd innings 173 all out, and SA 32 for 2 in reply.

Nite. 🙂

Ah, I see Eddie, so you married into an aristocratic family! 🙂

Thanks for the clarification.

128. Le Coq Monster says:

What`s all this moral stuff, LB ?…………………………personally, I`m wanting the Chavs to beat the Spuds and I don’t care if my knob burst`s into flames !……so be it if it means the Spuds losing !.

So glad the missus bought me a personal fire extinguisher for Christmas last year !.

129. Red Arnie says:

GN5. About Hermitage. True. I had the great previlege in sample in some detail, once, and I can confirm. 🙂

Well clearly I am in the minority as I voted Gilberto, because if we are talking holding midfielder we have never had a better one.

131. Red Arnie says:

HRH Evonne. what a pleasure. 🙂

So here is another game, fit a side from the current squad into the formation we played in 2003-04…..

My stab (assuming Freddy on right and Bobby on left wing).

Hector…….BFG…..Kozzer….Nacho

Ox…..Coquelin…..Rambo…..Santi
    ………………..Ozil……………………….
    ……………………….Alexis……………..

133. Red Arnie says:

Redders. 🙂 have fun my friend. I’m denied such immense pleasures at the moment. 🙂

134. Red Arnie says:

Rubbish spellings and grammar. 😦

Eddie, Daaaaaarling, that’s fabulous news 🙂

Forget the aristo husband, but if your family were upper middle class titled as you call it, what’s that? Lord and Lady kinda stuff as opposed to Duke and Earl
    Do you not inherit it because you’re a chic, or just not first born

Could be lonely here for a while 😦
    Trying to get work done early, so can hopefully go for a fitting with Mrs Frith later this morning 🙂

Don’t Dukedoms only get passed down on the male side?

Morning chas

You will know this.Is the knockout stage of the Europa Cup a home and away fixture and if it is do away goals count and if we don’t win 2-0 or whatever that is better in our game at OLympiacos, we join Spurs andLiverpool in the draw or can we avoid them initially and are e seeded if that happens ? That’s all 😉

I suppose it makes sense for the Club to not open the Exchange until after the game is sold out.

Anyone purchasing tickets pays the same price. The difference is the Club gets the whole whack if it’s an unsold ticket, but they only manage to steal 10% if it’s a season ticket seat sold on the Exchange. and they want to get up to £300m in the bank somehow!

The main disadvantage is that people don’t want to buy the shite seats left when they may have the opportunity to sit in a prime spot once the Exchange opens.

Most games sell out anyway.

I didn’t know the answers, kelsey.
    Here’s a link.
    Interesting that the 4 3rd placed CL teams with the better group record are seeded.

“Don’t Dukedoms only get passed down on the male side?”
    Picky 🙂

And Europa talk!! Gentlemen, please. Doooooooom

At the moment PSV and Kiev have more points than us and Valencia the same.

From that artice.

“Main article: 2015–16 UEFA Europa League knockout phase

In the knockout phase, teams play against each other over two legs on a home-and-away basis, except for the one-match final. The mechanism of the draws for each round is as follows:

In the draw for the round of 32, the twelve group winners and the four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage with the better group records are seeded, and the twelve group runners-up and the other four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage are unseeded. The seeded teams are drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
    In the draw for the round of 16, the procedure will be confirmed prior to the draw.
    In the draws for the quarter-finals onwards, there are no seedings, and teams from the same group or the same association can be drawn against each other.

That answers most things so I presume away goals will count as in the CL.
    So just to prepare myself : as of Feb we would have to play 9 games to win it, of course many will say we will beat Olympiacos by a clear 2 goals, having never ever won them.

It’s strange or upsetting that keepers have cost us games in the CL including Lehmann in the 2006 Final. Ospina this year and Fabianski a few years back when he completely misread the ref’s instruction on a free kick I think and the oppo scored.

It is Black Rant Friday micky.Haven’t you been shopping yet 😉

Haha. I was going to comment that you were set on a trip to Zenit and recovering the lost fortune of the Eddie family line.

Good points on the Exchange stuff.
    Must say that I reckon the Zagreb attendance was a one off, for whatever reason.

Oh micky, it’s nothing as big as that 🙂 my grandfather’s family had titles, nobleman. My mother and I did inherit it, but so what? No use whatsoever, except for keeping you amused 😊

I didn’t know what Black Friday was and someone described it to me yesterday as
    ‘where a lot of fat people behave appallingly buying stuff they don’t really need or want just because there’s 20% off.’

Is that right, kelsey?

My Lady Edwina of Oakwood, what a fine pleasure it is to greet you this morning.

Chas – that’d be me. I got early to go shopping 😆😆

Black Friday. Sounds like a good name for a pirate.

Or Blue Monday

Bloody hell Eddie, a title going. Yes bloody please, I’ll have it like a shot.
    Duchess, don’t care, absolutely anything to look down on people 🙂

You is not fat – even if you do behave appallingly on occasion. 🙂

it’s another American idea chas, after thanksgiving. Soon all these retailers will be on sale practically all year.Many are continuing discounts write up to Xmas and then the traditionsl January sales.Makes you wonder what the true price of practically everything bought especially on line these days.

Or a black fella called Friday

Micky only goes shopping at DFS on the one day of the year when they don’t have a sale on – just because he can.

Crystals
    Not sure of the exact amount, but an item only needs to be on sale in one store, anywhere, for 28 days before you can say marked down by x
    In other words, mark up, then mark down

7:14? Nope

That was mentioned yesterday also, ‘we had that on sale for x number of pounds at our John O’Groats store in October 2013’

DFS – over my dead body.

I heard |Alan Sugar say that Micky, on The Apprentice but what about on line. I bet they buy in loads of products for the festive season, always have done.

Gorra go.
    Happy shopping.

7:15Oh wow. Print that off for me right now

DFS???

True about retail sales. Just 28 days.

Wish there was something I wanted which I could afford.

Duchess. Wasn’t that a Stranglers track?

7.15, Brilliant pic.

I didn’t realise Nigel W was so tiny

Erik
    Don’t know about the track. Arse you excited by prospect of Zenit, or does it have to be a sunny sandal location like Madrid?

Eddie
    Prefer the second one. Proper Crusady type

that’s Szeliga 🙂 the Ogonczyk has those hands up – what’s that about, surrender?? Not me, never

Zenit would be great. Count. Chickens.

OGATT Raddy – Norwich away could be tricky

wow, wow, WOW!!!

174. Good morning Your Highness….. and all you other peasants 🙂

Morning NB. Nice day for it

176. What I noticed about that photo of the Greatest back four in the history of English Football is how sensibly they are dressed and not one silly haircut 🙂

177. Morning oh hippy King

178. I suppose as it’s Black Friday there needs to be a special Friday Rant?

morning nb 🙂 I was thinking about you (nothing nice of course) – who made that carrot soup yesterday?

Anyone see Ronaldo on The One Show last night.Apparently one of his very few interviews over here and his son lives with him in Madrid.he was conceived on a one night stand in England yet the kid looks very dark.Anyone know any different ?

RA was not conceived on a one night stand, despite what you might have read on Twitter. 😉

181. I see Micky wouldn’t mind being a Duchess…. would he look like this then,

182. Eddie, Your Majesty……. I made the carrot soup, I make soup all the time in the winter 🙂

183. My father’s name was Alfred, he was known as Alfred the Grate because he had to clean the fireplace out every morning.

Kelsey – nobody is sure about the identity of the mother. he paid crazy money to have sole custody of the boy and for the mother to keep schtum. Ronaldo is a puff if there ever was one

nb – you make soups? Now he tells me!! I love soups, honestly! But I can only make pumpkin soup 🙂

off shopping ta-ra

186. Eddie…. does that make Ronaldo a ‘magic dragon’ then?

187. Jesus, Eddies’ gone shopping already… it’s not even 8:30 there in North London….. I’ve not even finished my first glass of wine ha ha ha

188. I suppose pumpkin soup is ideal for someone from Royal Lineage 🙂

Morning all. Hope someone else has done a rant. I have no time now. Tara till later.

PSG offer Ronaldo 400K a week.Nice work if you can get it.

GB
    You can come back. The coast is clear.
    GN5 has filled the breach.

Morning NB. Big soup fan me. Crusty bread, or poofy crutons?

Norfolk
    Love the Alfred The Grate 🙂

NB again

From your neck of the woods, Soup de Poisson, which demands poofy crutons, aioli and grated gruyere. Best bought.

For the summer, I make a very delicate, and decidedly feminine, cold watercress number. Delicious.

For the hearty winter stuff, start with spuds and build from there 🙂

Ok, off. Will catch the GN5 from mobile. Well, with a fair wind and all that.

There’s a rant from GunnerN5 …………….

196. ………….. which I’ll sort in a bit ………………..

How can I put this nicely,peaches.It’s is not up as yet 🙂

Aha, you were just pausing a bit like Ollie

199. Morning kelsey

We have a New Post …………………..

That’s funny because I’ve just done it too 😳