We won 3 nil, but it was not as good as we think ……

It’s a funny old game, football, ain’t it? as someone famous once said. And that is not the half of it.

During the first part of the game against the Hornets, Arsenal played like a light bulb that is undecided if its day is done, or not, and flickers indecisively between light and shade.

One minute the Gunners were brilliant, and the next they were as gormless as any Sunday League team down the Marshes before the traditional booze up, and, frankly, with a better forward Watford could have been one or two goals up in the first half, and as it was, the feller sitting in Row Z had stinging hands parrying the ball as he became the target for the ball rather than the net.

The second half saw a better attitude and after our indomitable Chilean had made the most of his opportunity and opened the scoring we suddenly found ourselves 0 : 3 up and coasting as Giro, on for an ineffective Theo, nonchalantly tried to put the ball over the bar and fluffed it by hitting it inside the roof of the net instead, and the industrious Rambo managing to dink the ball slowly into the net through a ruck of players.

What is it with this team? Capable of the most sublime football and the most awful dross all within the same minute.

That said, they collectively played pretty well and special mention is due to Bellerin, Cazorla and Ozil but the real star of the show was Sanchez. When we are hitting our noses on an invisible screen in front of the goal, he is always alert, energetic and capable of pulling the plum from the pudding.

Fo me the player who personifies the Arsenal at the moment is Rambo. He frustrates the hell out of me with his poor decision making, misplaced passes and wonky finishing. And yet his sheer guts, never say die spirit and his ability to cover every blade of grass on the pitch and yet somehow he still manages to be in position in the area to score a killer goal while Theo is busy posing or Giro is handsomely scratching his ass.

Football is a results driven business and all fans love a win, but some of us also love the beautiful game, like the one against Manyoo, and this bunch of players is capable of delivering both, but they are also capable of self inflicted, fart-assed, puke inducing, brainless stupidity which seems to occur for no discernible reason.

Fortunately the good outweighed the bad yesterday, and all teams have off periods during a season, while Arsenal are capable of off moments every week, but I think we are going to eliminate these moments with wins like this – and I am now prepared to call it — we will win the Premier League this season.

Red Arse

We’ve had some debate as to who should be awarded Man of the Match for the game with several candidates being put forward. Place your vote below and let’s see what the majority think …….

87 Responses to We won 3 nil, but it was not as good as we think ……

1. “Ineffective Theo!” “INEFFECTIVE THEO? How can you say such a thing? Almost singlehandedly he ran the Watford defence ragged for sixty minutes thus paving the way for Girooo to come on and do his failing best to avoid scoring against a desperately tired defence.

Ineffective Theo! Pah!

Well said NG, I too think that Theo did a job for the team – which doesn’t always involve bagging the glory.

Did anyone see the interview with Sterlng after his hattrick? He can barely string two words together but just about managed to get in the ‘it was the 3 points for the team that was important’ before delighting in his goals 🙂

3. Boring says:

Watford could’ve been 2 goals up? They had one shot on target in the entire match. It’s amazing how ‘any’ shot at goal is now considered as a should’ve-been-a-goal. The best chances in the first half was a Ramsey sitter from two yards and Alexis blaster from the edge of the box. Yet Arsenal could’ve been two down apparently because they almost had a ‘pass’ that would’ve led to a chance for the striker. So an almost assist should’ve been a goal. Yawn.

Arsenal put 3 past a side yet to concede a goal from open play at home, in a week the majority of the squad arrived back late from international duty (which the majority of Watford’s players didn’t have) and yet once again we have stuff like this written by idiots who are really clueless. The same bollox was written after Leicester’s win – and even last week the ManU win was derided by some claiming ManU are not that good – who then went away to Everton yesterday and destroyed them.

Arsenal look good, are 2pts behind City with a third of the season gone already. Give them some credit and STFU

4. I watched that interview Rasp, but struggled to understand a word he said.

Thanks Boring, that was a good comment up until the insults started.

I take it you don’t visit this site regularly otherwise you’d know how unnecessary and pointless your tirade was. The writer has given you the opportunity to air a counter argument – you could have achieved this with greater style!

However, we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and invite you to come back again 🙂

The voting is very interesting. More evidence of the knowledgeable Arsenal fanbase. It appears subtlety is not lost on everyone – My man Bellerin coming up on the rails 🙂

7. Redders

You’ve either written that ‘tongue in cheek’ or you didn’t really see the whole game. Watford had one shot on target (official stats) so how you can say they could have been 2 up baffles me.

Overall we had a brilliant game. Watford to their credit did extremely well to contain us in the first 60/65 minutes and pressed our midfield and attack with energy and conviction. Not many other teams would have survived that. They have conceded just 10 goals in nine games and we put three past them.

I suppose someone (apart from Eddie) has to be negative after such an emphatic win. But I suppose you’ll invoke some good debate… which is perhaps your reasoning behind the post. 🙂

NB, I hijacked Redders’ comment from this morning and turned it into a post, so I reckon he hadn’t intended it to receive such attention.

9. Oh Rasp, I fear you’ve badly misjudged Redders, everything he does is designed to attract attention. 😀

10. Great game of rugby going on Ireland 10 Argies 20 after 29 mins.

😆 Norfolk.

I have to say that I like Redders’ analogy between Rambo and the team’s performance in general. Ramsey did some really good things yesterday.

I particularly like the fact that even after he missed some relatively easy chances, he didn’t hide and still showed for the ball – I guess suffering a double fracture of the leg in front of millions of viewers has given him the steel to cope with just about anything?

Afternoon fellow Gooners, it appears that not everyone agrees with me. 🙂

I am amused that Boring and NB have both picked up on something I did not actually say, and ignored the fundamental conclusion I arrived at. Been at the vino, maybe? 🙂

What I did say was “Watford could have been one or two goals up in the first half” and that was referring to the ramshackle defending that led to some last gasp tackling and not to any specific ‘shots’.

I also said in my final rounding up, ‘we will win the Premier League this season’, [sorry for being so negative 🙄 ] but it is much more fun to wrongly criticise the minutiae and ignore the real message – eh, Norther?

13. Red Arnie says:

Very nice post, intended as a comment, Redders. 🙂

Yes, Watford had two very good chances in the first half, and on both occassions our backline was caught napping. This is why none of our back four are MoTM contenders for me.

A more attack minded team would have – should have – kept at least one of those attempts within the three sticks. And then we would have been up against it. 🙂

It is amazing how disrptive an international break can be. Here we were, producing a fantastic game against ManUre. Along came the break, and despite the fact that our good guys scored 2 or 3 dozen goals between themselves in the internationals, back in the PL, it is scrtching the bottom for any significant returns. 🙂

14. Red Arnie says:

snap! 🙂

15. matt says:

Only one team has scored at watford before arsenal this year. We did a job very well. Kept probing and stayed focused after an international break. Cant ask for more.

16. Red Arnie says:

Upfront, it was largely pants. Rambo wasted two good opportunities, and Theo spent the evening chasing after the ball rather than the opposition defenders chasing after him. Very poor indeed. It speaks a lot when senior stesmen on tis space have to come out fighting trying to patronise a player. ‘Nuff said!

Alexis was palying a bit within himself, Ozil was I thought the most creative of a poor lot upfront, Santi was OK.

Coq played with a big heart and fought on all along. Hence my MoTM.

Giro came on, was pants as well. Provided a comedy moment trying to backheel a ball on the centre line and miserably failing to do even that. But he is a striker, and you can see why. He converted the chance that came his way.

Been there done that. 3 points away is a decent return. Onwards and upwards.

We will be scrapping for chances against Bayern, and I prefer him at CF, just in case a couple of chances come our way. That, and Easter for Merts. COYG.

17. Olalerepeter says:

Cool!

Norfolk,

I thought my comment might flush you out! 🙂

Perhaps you could write a Post explaining what it is that football fans are looking for in an ‘effective’ centre forward.

I am sure it would be quite a wide ranging definition, but one of the requirements of an effective CF must be to score goals.

Certainly Theo has done much better than I expected over the last few games in particular, but yesterday he was not ‘effective’ in the scoring department, and it you re-read the paragraph where it was mentioned, I was referring to the goals and who scored them.

The previous Post seemed to be dead in the water, with no one about, and in that respect NB was right – I thought my comment might breathe some life back into it – seems I could have been right. 🙂

Sadly the humour in the piece was overlooked – but – there you go.

Hi Arnie,

You tell ’em! 🙂

20. Redders, You do me a disservice, I thought you were being a bit tongue-in-cheek hence my simulated outrage.

Somebody, it may even have been you, said earlier that different kinds of strikers suit different kinds of games. Perhaps yesterday’s game didn’t suit Theo. The thing is I don’t think it would have suited Girooo either. But then what kind of game would suit him? 😀

As to your suggestion that I write a post on what is an effective centre forward, there’s no need. One who scores hatfulls of goals. Simples. 😀

21. Morning RA , 10.06 am here – and it’s snowing!!! Damn only Oct 18 and snow already???

It was only a matter of time before Watford ran out of the energy to hold us off of the score sheet. It’s easy to understand why only one goal had previously been scored against then at home as they have all but perfected the two double decker bus style of defense.

To be critical of Theo is being a tad tough as it was difficult for any of our team to escape the pressing tactics employed by Watford. Our saving grace in the first half was the fact that their offence is as weak as their defense is strong and although they had a few good opportunities it would have been pure luck for them to score.

Once they tired we overran them and could have scored more than the three we ended up with and we tripled the amount of goals that all other visitors have scored against them at home this season.

I cannot give you a man of the match as it’s a completely subjective exercise so I will choose the entire team with special mention to Arsene for both his initial team selection and his astute and timely substitutions.

Only two points behind Man C for first place and that could change next weekend with a Manchester derby at United and we play Everton at home – if we win and City lose or draw then we would be tied for first.

Norfolk,

I knew that. 😀

Dis-service? Pah! 🙂

GN5,

Good to hear from you. 🙂

As I was saying to Norklof – it was not a criticism of Theo – simply an explanation as to why Arsene had brought on Giro – using one word, in relation to the lack of goals, and that was ‘ineffective’.

I think I was being factually accurate – and Arsene was right to bring Giroo on.

Mind you, altho I am happy to help out on AA – I am less than happy that Rasp invited back someone who criticised me for a whole bunch of things I had not said – and – called me a clueless idiot!

Everyone knows I am not clueless – so he was only half right! 😀

24. Would somebody please vote for Merts, he’s the only candidate without one.

There’s a reason for that NG 😕

26. Redders, you know full well that Rasp will do anything for an extra click or two. But don’t tell him I said so.

Dis-service, or disservice, I blame the spell-checker on my tablet. 😀

RA, I really believe that this team has that “special” ingredient to be successful. Yes we still have a couple of iffy positions that could do with improvement – but it’s obvious; even given both our financial position and player knowledge that as hard as our backroom staff tried they could not find the talent we needed. So be it – why keep on and on and on like some drones do – I don’t get it!

We have a superb team so we should all get behind them and give them the 12th man needed to urge them on……

Cheers, RA.
    I like your match feelings. 🙂

I was taken by this game as a mirror image (well if you’re in a funfair hall of mirrors) of our 3-0 victory a fortnight ago.
    Blitzing United with our stiletto sharpness early on, contrasting with yesterday’s patient waiting for Watford to tire and then applying the fatal thrust to the vital organs. Both games characterised by three goals in rapid succession and a clean sheet.

The brightest halogen two weeks ago followed by an energy-saving fluorescent yesterday. 🙂

From the warm-up yesterday……

I think your spell checker is correct in that case NG.

It is just doing me a dis-service. 😳

Crikey, thank for that Chas – everything I said that was positive about the team and my conclusion for the season as a whole did not count, apparently. 😀

Ant used to be my favourite – now it has to be you! 🙂

Own up …. who voted for Merts? I can guess 😆

32. Red Arnie says:

hmmm. for a top side, we are alarmingly poor in scvoring from set-pieces.

in defending set-pieces as well, but that is a different matter. 😛

33. Red Arnie says:

not including penalties, of course. 😛

I just noticed Rasper’s headline for the Post — it was not mine!!

“We won 3 nil, but it was not as good as we think …… “.

No wonder the denizens of AA were restless — and sod my final comment;

“I am now prepared to call it — we will win the Premier League this season.

The ending is the antithesis of the beginning – so to speak.

Redders, Norfolk is correct …….. “Rasp will do anything for an extra click ” ….. 🙂

1,400 hits on the post so far. With a more tame headline it would probably be in the 5-600 bracket. You should thank me 😕

I see what the post reveals now about Redders. He has a split personality, hence the 2 opposing views in one post ….. half Red … half Arse 😛

Arnie
    Last season’s stats refute your suggestion. 🙂

Same table sorted on set piece goals

Rasper,

Anyone would think I was argumentative and laid sneaky textual booby traps for anyone who argued with me!!

As if? 😀

Excellent summary RA.

I think you captured the flow and the emotion of the game perfectly.

Redders …… you’re not so much bi-polar as bi-koala 🙂

Great rugby match going on — Aus 5 – 13 Scot.

Huge surprise.

Oh, yes, Mucky McTavish’s uncle will be a bit happier; Aus 10 – Scot 16

Is that where Micky is? Twickenham?

LB,

Thank to you, too, for your kind words. I do have friends on here after all. 😀

45. Red Arnie says:

Chas. Interesting. Shows you just how important it is the way one watches games, and how much colour that puts on facts. Somehow, my most recent endearing memory of free kick goal is the Santi one, and that was a while back. hmmm. 🙂

46. bi-polar, bi-koala or bisexual even… I’m glad you explained the title Redders. 🙂 I don’t think I wrongly criticised anythink…. the minutiae or the minute maid even. It was the general tone of the post, despite the happy ending. 🙂

48. Rasp, …half red… half arse….which if you put it together describes Redders’ post perfectly…. half-arsed. :D.

Brilliant Redders

Yes, there is always room to cast a critical eye.

We will win the league, we all know this, but even though these feelings makes you realise you are a greedy Bastard, its normal to want more. For example I get off counting money, but by the end am left with a sense of anti climax. Just enough money to become best friends with an alcoholic and secure the insincere affections of a one legged prostitute is not sufficient.

I had this problem with my first wife. What ever I did was never good enough.

I remember on one occasion forgetting her birthday so I jumped out of the mistresses bed faster than a Belerin sortie and made my way home. Was I met with a Sanchez like hug? No, more like Diego Costa with a frying pan. My ex wife was very much like Costa, but unlike him she would never go down.

I bet you any money Emile Heskey has a great relationship.

Anyway. I reckon we will win the League this season and the Champions League the next.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

Terry,

Welcome back from your sex trip holiday. 🙂

I now have a mental image of you in front of a pile of money with an erection, and it collapsing as you count the dosh.

You do realise that if you pile money on your equipment it will collapse – especially if it is …. you know …. a tiny todger. 😀

51. Red Arnie says:

wow. what a game! dont miss this, friends. 🙂

Thanks RA, nice summary

What a game , come on Jokes!!

53. Red Arnie says:

😦

6-2 – belting.

Chas,

I think Arnie means Scotland losing to Australia in the quarter final by one point.

Brilliant game.

56. Red Arnie says:

yes, Redders. 😦

But the Newcastle game produced a freak result – or was it?

58. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Nice one RA, comment or post, i feel you you got most of it right, Yes we got 3 goals but the performance was frustrating, It seems to me that the back line have been instructed to play out from the back at all times, but i feel that a good clearance as far up the field as possible, is sometimes the order of the day. They closed us down quickly and we held onto the ball to long, dribbling out from the back is a recipe for disaster.

At the start of the game, i felt that Watford were instructed to put it about a bit, The old adage of Arsenal doesn’t like it up them mentality. The referee had decided that he would try and keep the game flowing, and a few challenges that i felt were fouls he let go,

We do have a few players who are not keen on getting stuck in, In fact Theo showed the other week, when he chased a player back, that is a one off, Yesterday he chased nothing back and rarely even chased forward. I am sure i was not alone in wanting Theo off and Giroud on, Theo even got on the end of a header, i cant remember the last time, and that for a centre forward.

Personally i felt this was a lack lustre game, we looked all over the place, Ramsey does cover a lot of the park but his finishing his shooting is abysmal, Our team apart from Sanchez seen devoid of shooting ability why shoot when you can make a dozen negative passes.

Yes i know we won 3.0 and i should be happy, but we should be able to finish a lot better than we do, we cross when there is no pass on and never to an arsenal player.

Happy with the result, not happy with the performance.

59. The Cockie Monster says:

Brilliant !!!…………………………..England still the only Northern Hemisphere team to win the Rugby World Cup. 😀

Good stuff Redders !……………only saw the highlights and thought we were average in the first half and lucky we were not playing a more potent team .
    It`s weird really, I (maybe others) have gone from being pissed off since the stadium move because we were not winning titles through having to sell our best players to potentially being really pissed off if we now lose or draw a game because we have such a great collection of talented players who should not lose to any of the other teams……barring us having an injury ravaged team !
    I wish I could look at us from the oppositions point of view instead of cowering behind the Sofa every single game !……I mean other than Manshafter Std, Mansour City and Chavs…..the rest of the teams fans must look at our (full team) line up and think like me and cower behind the sofa at the thought of losing to such a frightening looking line up !…………….should I really be so stressed at the thought of us playing Watford ?………..to think there was probably some people in Watford yesterday hiding behind a Sofa and shitting himself at the thought of playing the mighty Arse !……….lucky for Watford that Elton John went into the changing room and threatened to bum the whole team and they run out from behind the sofa and onto the pitch !. hahaha

hahaha, I once saw Elton John down Leicester Square Cornwall and ended up running back to Bounds Green in 10 minutes.

I think that geezer who directed Forest Gump must have seen me legging it coz a few months later the film came out

Yes, RA, thanks for taking the bait. 🙂

Evening all, nice summing up RA, I like you felt we could have conceded, and having not taken out own chances (although not many) it could have been a very different outcome.

Couple of moments worried me with Cech yesterday, the first when he got too close to BFG for the ball over the top, Cech could easily have seen red if the ref had decided he handled it there, I know some will say he was wary because of BFGs lack of pace and I understand that but the flight of the ball meant BFG was always in control of that situation. The other occasion was his failure Tirol the ball early to Monreal, he had just collected the ball and Monreal was running forward and asking for it, Cech went to throw twice before releasing it to someone else’s feet but by then it was too late and Watford were set to press the receiver. I know this probably comes from years under Maureen but he needs to release the ball quicker to our full backs. Having said that rest of his game was pretty faultless.

BFG was being left a tad open by Bellerin causing Koz to sweep a lot.

Theo was Theo he still has a lot of work to do back to goal especially receiving ball under pressure.

Liked Ozil a lot yesterday he has the ability to retain possession whilst keeping the ball moving, Alexis was his normal effervescent self and I thought Santi had a good game distributing in the middle of the park ably assisted by Coq who can also play some great passes.

Both Monreal and Bellerin were good, Monreal wins pass of the day for the long diagonal that dropped on Santis toe.

Rambo just keeps showing for the ball and never hides whether it’s going his way or not it’s why I love him but I think it’s why he takes a fair bit of flak.

63. Ant says:

Perry Groves at Highbury got treated better than this!

hahaha, I will translate for you Ant. Commentator- ” Thats not nice, thats not very nice at all, infact, thats certainly not nice” hahaha

Very impressive and enjoyable MR. I voted Coquelin as he was solid for the full 90. His distribution is mighty, work rate Herculean and does defensive things well indeed.

Ant

Saw that vid last thing before bed. Hysterical 🙂

For fans of video technology, watch last five mins of Scotland Aus WC Quarter Final

For those who missed it. Ref awared Aus game game changing pen, ignored going to vid, then after final whistle, literally sprinted for dressing room

I think Monreal is surely the perfect example of a player improving under Wenger. When he arrived it was a toss up between him and Gibbs as to who was the most able left back, things even swung towards Gibbs for a while but I doubt there is a person on this site who would choose Gibbs over Monreal to start against Bayern on Tuesday.

OK I know it is football comment and it is still early but I was disappointed not to find a cat vid; no really, I look forward to them in the morning.

good looking guys, all 3 of them

very quiet before the Storm
    people are already behind their sofas

stupid Garth Crooks. Still good to see Jenks is maturing nicely

Rasp
    I don’t mind putting together a Goals and assists .png after every game that I post on here for you to save if it’s going to help.
    As I’m doing the assists, I might as well do the goals at the same time.
    Yes or no?

Thanks chas, that would be perfect 🙂

Bayern just another hurdle.

pugglet 🙂 they are so gorgeous

Morning Folks, 🙂

Chas
    Whatever you put up order of importance is cats and heat maps.

With the maps I’m not bothered which game, which player or even which team

Just love trying to work them out

Exile, @ 9:44 p.m.

I agree with your comment last night and that would have made a very good match report instead of mine. 🙂

Interesting to get a more technical view about the GK.

Chas,

When I was in Africa, I never saw a wild animal – don’t seem to have them in the cities, 🙂 but seeing the grace, balance and athleticism of that domestic moggy scaling, what to him was, a sheer fence, I am fairly happy I never needed to hide in a tree from a lion.

Umm, might not have worked.

Mind you my current The Fiend can be pretty scary. 🙂

Ahhh, the cat clip, all is well now prrrrrrrrrr.

We have a New Post …………………….